Speaker 1: You're listening to this program the inland Talk express.
Speaker 2: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 3: It's Guys Guy Radio. Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests. I bring you each and every week to the show. And once again this week is no accept Today we're going to talk about acting in Hollywood and all kinds of stuff about the entertainment business with the Hollywood icon legendary actor Eric Roberts, star of movies such as Stared, Star eighty, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Runaway Train, King of the Gypsies, Let's see what else, The Dark Knight, a Batman movie, I Think It's My Party, and so many others. Eric is just an amazing talent. He's been in over seven hundred and fifty projects in counting, and he's a really nice guy. And he's written a wonderful, very telling, very open hearted book called Runaway Train or the Story of My Life so Far. We're going to be joined by Eric's lovely wife, Eliza, who's his creative partner and manager, and also Mike Tove, who put together a project called Yard Sailing, a short film that's on the festival circuit now. Along with Eric and Eliza, so a lot to talk about right here on Guys Guys Radio. So strap in and get ready because we're going to have some fun today.
Speaker 3: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 4: It is the interview portion of our show, and today's guests are one of Hollywood's most fascinating and enduring couples. Eric Roberts has appeared in over seven hundred and fifty films and TV projects, are an Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations, and build a career unlike anyone else in entertainment. Alongside him as actor, casting director, producer, and creative partner, Eliza Roberts, who's on waivering support and perspective have helped shape one of Hollywood's most remarkable love stories. And we're also going to meet filmmaker Michael Toe, who, along with Tom Logan, created and developed Yard Salting, which I just watched today for the second time, a short film featuring Michael Eric excuse me, Analyza. And today we're going to discuss Eric's candidate and compelling autobiography that I just finished called Runaway Train, a book that explores fame, family, addiction, redemption, resilience, and the power of second chance and his ongoing legendary actoring career, along with Eliza's perspectives, and Mike's journey to getting a filmmate in Hollywood and these crazy days.
Speaker 5: So welcome the three of you.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Mike, Welcome, Eric, Welcome Eliza, the guys, Guys Radio.
Speaker 5: I'm so thrilled to have you here.
Speaker 4: I'm not used to having three juggling three at a time, but we'll make a go of it. So Eric, before we got on the air, Eric, you mentioned that Eliza had scourged you to run to write Runaway Train.
Speaker 5: Why now and why is the title Runaway Train?
Speaker 6: Well, there is no why now, because it could be why anytime, because for years the people said to me, when' you gonna write your book? And I've said for years, I'm not writing a book. And then and then all my friends are coming to me, when you're you gonna write your book? I'm not writing a book, guys. And then and then publishers started calling me, when are you going to write a book? I'm not writing a boat, guys. My wife comes to me and goes, when are you writing a book?
Speaker 3: Now you're writing a book.
Speaker 6: So he said to her, will you help me? And just what do you mean? I said, well, I'm going to embellish. I need help because I knew I would. So I as editor and I wrote a book. Well, it took me two years to write the book. I did not name the book. The publisher named the book because they said, Your Life is a Runaway Train.
Speaker 4: And of course that's an Academy Award nominated film that you were in, and you got a nod for Best Actor in that. I believe we're best supporting, our best actor. You and John Voyd were together.
Speaker 6: He got a nod for Best Actor. I got a nod for best supporting.
Speaker 4: At Here You Go and a great film. And I also watched that one with my son. He said, I want to watch that again. Oh, I love that fantastic. He's got really good taste. He's thirteen. So Eric's also been in the Star of Popagrunner's Village, one of my all time favorite movies with Mickey Rourke and Eric Dark Knight, and Star eighty and so many other projects I believe obviously over seven hundred and fifty. So you started out New York and I think we're around the same age, even though you look a lot better. But we were in the Upper West Side of New York City back around nineteen eighty or so, and it was very different. You used to hang out at Cafe Central. I remember there was a place called Ruel's on Columbus Avenue, and I don't think people remember that the Upper West Side was nowhere back then. Tell us about your experience back there and how it shaped you for future performances.
Speaker 6: Well, when I got hip to the Upper West Side, it was nineteen seventy six. Okay, buy an entire roundstone for forty thousand dollars that had water and no electricity, And it was like that, and you could buy these whole buildings for no money that had nothing in them and you had to redo them, and everybody was doing that. He having six, seven, eight, nine, eighty one, and two, and by eighty two it started to get hip, and by eighty five, eighty seven, eighty eight.
Speaker 5: It was the place to be. Yeah, you know, I just love the.
Speaker 6: Upper West Side because it had it had the park, but it was a little bit away from the action. But then it became the action, so I left.
Speaker 4: Now, you've experienced extraordinary highs and lows along your career. Looking back, what period of your life was the most difficulty for you to write about? Because I have to tell everybody out there, first of all, read this book. It's the best autobiography I ever read because it's so from the heart. You just opened up and let it out there, and there's things like WHOA, I.
Speaker 5: Don't even Eliza.
Speaker 4: Were you surprised at some of this stuff that was that came out during the writing process a little bit?
Speaker 7: And that's kind of fun because when you're married for a long time, you're like, wow, do we know all the stories new? And then to learn a couple of new things or just new details was great.
Speaker 6: So yes, I was surprised, like a great A great face she made one day, shows you what you robbed a drug.
Speaker 5: Store that was kind of fun.
Speaker 4: Now you draw on in your acting career. I forget the name of the technique you mentioned in the book where you know you can make yourself cry.
Speaker 5: You think about something.
Speaker 4: That happened earlier in life, and you had such a tough childhood because you were getting it from both sides, your mom and your dad. How how did you first of all, how did you get through that? And secondly, how do you draw off of that those experiences to make you such a wonderful actor.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you so much for all those kind words. Uh. Well, I thought I invented method acting because I'm eight years old and I realized I could make myself cry by thinking of something that would make me cry. And so I thought I invented method acting. And and I and I and I told all the older kids about it, like, oh, guys, I've got a great plan, and I would tell everybody how to do it, and and and I and I thought it was mine up until I got older and found out it was just sence memory, and it had been patented by many people many decades and before my birth.
Speaker 5: But I didn't know.
Speaker 6: That, and so I kind of looked at myself when I got hit to that, I kinda I kind of realized I was a born actor and and I just wallowed him it.
Speaker 5: Well, that sense memory.
Speaker 4: I remember while I was watching popa Grienwish Village the other day, there's a scene early on where Charlie and Paulie get fired from the restaurant and and Paulie's giving Charlie a hard time, and he's oats and he's got the two bottles of Remy there, or the bottle of Remy and his jacket. And at the end of the scene, you there's a shot of him and there's a little tear welled up in his eye.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: And what what if so, what did you draw on to to bring you that emotion? Because I read like, oh, he's got he's giving Charlie a hard time, but there's some shame there.
Speaker 6: Well, that's the point you have to You have to let the audience know that your character does know better, or else they're unforgivable. And if they're unforgivable, they're they're they're not unbraceable. And PAULI was such an f up you had to embracing or you had it discarding, and I was hell bent on making him very embraceable.
Speaker 4: Now, I remember reading that you had a hard time kind of pushing through your vision for Paulie, and I admire you because in a lot of roles, you have a vision for how you want to play the character and you're very committed to it and you stick to your gun.
Speaker 5: So that's great. Now with Paulie, you got some.
Speaker 4: Pushback because you made the character more a little bit more a feminine, a little weaker than I don't say a feminine in a bad way, but in like a less masculine traditional It wasn't a macho guy, and you.
Speaker 5: Had the perm and everything.
Speaker 4: And then there was also you and Charlie would walk arm in arm and I'm an Italian from New York City and I know the village and I lived back there.
Speaker 5: But that was cool that the way that you did that.
Speaker 4: What was your thinking around that, because I know from reading your book that Mickey had some type of issues with that kind of behind the scenes, like he didn't know if he really was buying into the way you were attacking the role.
Speaker 5: Yet it worked perfectly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he He was a big help. By the way. He was not a hindrance at all. You know, make Make, Make. Mick was a team player for me in that role.
Speaker 7: It was the first director who wasn't right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the first the guy they brought into to direct the movie originally did not agree with my portrayal. He thought it should be much tougher as is written and blah blah blah. And I tried to reason with him and said, no, but that's been done a lot, and I want to play something different that we all know about. And we all we all go, oh my god, yeah, I've like seen that well and uh, and he didn't want me to do it, so uh. They brought in a another director, Shot Rosenberg, who directed a great movie.
Speaker 5: The book was very good. Also.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you had a chance to read the novel, but it's a really good story, well written.
Speaker 6: The book is one of my favorite books. It is fantastic and it's exactly like our tween play. We're very honest with the book. We're very we're loyal of the book because the book kicks ass.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 4: Now, out of all your roles, what what one When you think back and immediately say, this is that was my that's it, that's my number one. Do you have one or they like babies where you kind of love them all in different ways?
Speaker 6: Well, uh, I've got, I've got. I made many movies, so I have many favorites. King of the Gypsies, Aby, Runaway Train, It's My Party, Love is a Gun, Purgatory. Those are my six favorites.
Speaker 5: Really? Okay?
Speaker 4: Uh? How come you choose them? You have them right at the tip of your tongue there? What's what's the what's the thinking?
Speaker 6: Because they're they're oh, my brain's tip because I'm asking this question a lot, but also because they they all change my life, those parts, all those parts change personally.
Speaker 4: Now as working actors, you and Eliza and now Mike, it's so busy out there.
Speaker 5: There's so many roles.
Speaker 8: Is this is this?
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 4: What do you think of what's happened to Hollywood where it's not as centralized anymore? That there's so much, so many more, there's a need for stories. There's so many more films and TV shows being made. I mean, I guess it's great for a guy like you, But how do you navigate that? And is it a good thing. And how do you pick and choose because you've got so many roles and I'm sure you haven't lined up from like Eliza's got them lined up for you between now and the end of the year.
Speaker 6: I want to I want to interject something at the top of that question. You called us working actors. We called our school working actor.
Speaker 5: Okay, fantastic. Where is the school that's right here?
Speaker 6: You're looking at it.
Speaker 7: Well, you teach, You teach every Saturday here in La Okay. And also we do a lot of coaching and stuff. So and we call it working actor because it's also a double entendra besides the actual work as an artist. We teach the business, the realities of the business, and you know just how to filter through the advice you get from your agents and from other friends, and what our view is of how to do this job.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, guys radio, My special guests are Eric Robbers, Eliza Robbers, and Mike Tobin.
Speaker 5: Forgive me, Mike, we're going to get to you.
Speaker 4: The reason I've been focused more on Eric and Eliza now because they're going to have to jump at some point in the broadcast.
Speaker 1: And we'll know that's great because I'm just enjoying it.
Speaker 5: So I love you, Mike.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I love you guys too.
Speaker 4: Now, Eliza, you have so many different roles, whether it's manager of Eric and he sounds like he could be a handful casting director, actor and mom and really kind of the sun and the solar system of your family. Is there one of those roles that you enjoy more than the others are all equal?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, obviously the mom and grandma thaying is just huge to the two legged creatures and also the four legged creatures or various different kinds of animals Finns and whatever. But you know, centrally, I'm I'm an actress and and everything else kind of stems from there. So casting was sort of a natural outgrowth of that, even though it's not viewed that way or didn't used to be. And and then managing Eric was, as you say, it just it just seemed like we should bring this in house. There was there, it was nobody had the sensitivity. It's also just a lot you can't expect that of somebody. And there's so many layers to managing an artist because a lot of it has to do with, you know, how they're feeling a lot of it is psychology, a lot of it is emotional, and you know, there's just it's it's a very holistic approach. So but I acting is my thing.
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 4: You know, the entertainment industry, it's often celebrates success, but at how it struggles.
Speaker 5: Eric.
Speaker 4: What do what do you hope that readers experience from your experiences from drug and addictions and recovery. What do you want the readers to take away from this from you your story?
Speaker 6: Well, many many things, but but since you brought up the the drug addiction to to let people know there are second chances that you can start over, and you can start over even better than you were before because you're older, you know more, you have more, you've experienced more, you understand yourself and and you stop lying to yourself. At about at about thirty five thirty eight, you finally get tired of line to yourself and you stop. You just stop. When they get to go what was they doing? And and you and you realize that you were but you didn't know it when you were in it. But once you're above it, and once you see it, it's just an asset to understand. And then if you have somebody then then then you can share it and you can grow from it and you get oh yeah, and you cannot repeat yourself because that's that that's the pitfall. We repeat ourselves because we think we can get away with it. Now you can't. You can't that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm going to assume that a lot of this, a lot of your personal struggles came from your family struggles, and both of you really had tough family situations at times. How did you manage to get through that and how do you manage to put that into your work in a constructive way? Because to me, you are nobody can be you Eric or Eliza based on your experiences and a lot of it I think comes out your personal experience come out through your work.
Speaker 5: Is that by design?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna let you answer that, but uh, I just have to say that that that that question. Everybody has their story, everybody has an issue to deal with or many, and it's how you how you do it that that makes your winner or not. And my wife is my whole understanding of myself. I saw myself through it from many years until I can see myself from myself, and she was very kind to me and I apparently needed that because it altered me and it was it was fun to do.
Speaker 5: Do you want to add anything Aaliza to that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I you know, that's that's really true. Kindness is like huge. Alice Miller wrote a book, well, many books, but The Untouched Keys, and she explores whether trauma is necessary in order to be creative and why some people who you know, had some kind of abuse in their childhood become serial killers and some people are fine. No one's fine. But she explores that, and I really think it's a matter of really starkly questioning what you're going for. Some people, for instance, become parents because they want to boss someone around. It doesn't come afterwards. It's not like your parent. And then you find yourself bossing these kids. That's kind of your drive. So I think we all have to be really honest with ourselves about our drives. And in that sense, you know, and that drive comes a lot from how you process the stuff that happened in early childhood and what you're still trying to do even though it's you know, it's not fixable. You can't you can't turn the clock back, you can't choose a different family. When you have to figure out what path that set you on, and that will really affect how you play your characters, what characters you play, whether you screw up your whole career, in your life and your relationships. I mean, it's just a matter of really taking an honest look not at the people who influenced you yourself.
Speaker 4: Now, Eric, you passed on a couple of big roles earlier in career. In your career, like Jesus, you were going to work with Scorcese, and your manager talked to you out of that, and I think there was a few others mentioned in the book, and then you had an opportunity, I think to work with Tarantino. It didn't work out exactly the way you want it, but obviously he's interested in you. Who are the folks that you want to work with now, I mean, you've done it all, you must have some like Okay, I still haven't gotten that one.
Speaker 5: I still haven't worked with this person.
Speaker 6: Well, I hate, I hate, I hate naming people because if you name one, you know you leave out three.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: But but Tarantino and I have a date that's that's yet to happen, and we we we need to make it happen.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 7: I like to see him work with Nancy Myers. See. I mean that's like whole polar opposite end. But I mean, listen, there's some fabulous directors coming up, you know, just coming up through the ranks. There's there are It's true, there are so many. There's so many times we go to the movies that we see something on TV and I go nuts, and he's like, I want to work with them. Who aren't I got to work with that guy, that guy, that girl.
Speaker 5: I got to work with them, got to do it?
Speaker 7: Whoever is doing Paradise instead of and we are aparently with Sterling K.
Speaker 1: Brown.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's just it's endless. There's a lot out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as a Hollywood couple.
Speaker 4: Obviously, Eric, you've been like a chick magnet for forever, and I think from what I read that you kind of took advantage of that for quite some time. And now you're with your rock for many, many years. How do you make it work? Because Holly, you know, people see you when they think you're the role and they just they just want to, you know, bag a star type of thing.
Speaker 5: How do you manage all of that?
Speaker 6: I got to be honest with you, the undoing of it all is the hard part because I had like I had, like I had like a dozen steward this is in a dozen cities, and a lot of good stuff lined up for my for my fun and travels and uh, and it had to stop like overnight, and that was hard because I had a lot of phone calls to make and it was it was difficult. So the first six months of our marriage were dicey, and she kept saying, where have you been? Oh? No, But then after everybody was informed, it's been great. Ever since has been. It's been really something. And I did not expect it. I did not think it was ever going to happen, but it did.
Speaker 5: That's fantastic and really inspirational story. I think it was Roger Stawback said.
Speaker 4: He was asked, you know, how come you don't have all these different women, your famous Dallas cowboy quarterback, And he said, you can go deeper with one woman than you can spreading yourself around. And I've always remember that. And when I met my wife in New York, she said, why are you still on these online services and stuff? Why don't we just go out and see if it works and if it doesn't, work, then you go out with who you want. But if it works, well we've been married sixteen years and we have a beautiful son, so it can work. So your story is an inspiration and thank you.
Speaker 6: Thank you man. Yeah, I'm so in love with her, even more now than it was then because I know what I have now.
Speaker 5: It's fantastic.
Speaker 7: But we've done a lot of interviews about the book.
Speaker 9: You're the first one who brought that up, and I'm so glad you because that was something that we decided to talk about and it's universal, God knows, so so I'm just glad you did because that's that's a fascinating subject and could go on in them.
Speaker 7: Forever and ever and ever. That's sorry. Our travel agent. She she's great.
Speaker 4: So what was the one the toughest area to write about Eric in the book?
Speaker 6: Well, the hardest part is the drug addiction because you're so you're so you're so subjective when you're in it, and you're also intoxicated, so you're not honest on two levels, so you have to undo the dishonesty in order to write about it. That was the hard part. And because you have to be very specific and very pedantic as it were you have to really spell it out, you can't talk about generally, and so I did.
Speaker 4: And and was it very cathartic for you, Eric to write the book?
Speaker 6: Well, it was, but it was also and also even that just thinking about it, I could cry because such are wasting my time and my life. And then and then to write about it kind of confirms that. And so you get very depressed and you get very unhappy, but not as an excuse, but as a matter of fact. But I came out of.
Speaker 5: It with this and it's right now, this counts right, yeah.
Speaker 6: And I'm so proud of her and I like her so much, and uh, there's so much fun to have her and she's funny. We had the best, funniest relationship and that's that's half the package.
Speaker 10: Dude.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 4: So my special guests on Guys Guys Radio, Eric Roberts, Eliza Roberts, Mike to Let's get to Mike's project. I know Mike worked with Tom Logan, and I think you guys know Tom is that how did this whole thing yard Sailor get together?
Speaker 7: Pay one set book? Before we start, Eric does have to go to do his photo session and just so do you want to give like a nutshell while it is still here. Michael, Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: But I want to take a half step back and make an observation because one of the things, and I'm just going to say this, one of the greatest things about you guys, is just what an incredible couple you guys really are. It's just remarkable to me. And tomorrow is my wife, Mira's in my thirty fourth anniversary, and I know that you guys are only less than two months off for that, so you're coming up on the thirty four, right, yep. And awesome, awesome, awesome, But you guys are just amazing and wonderful and I tell everybody about you constantly because you really are. Anyway, So yard Sailing, Wow, Well, it was a film I kinda devised years and years and years ago and just never had the opportunity to be able to put it together because it's a whole lot harder to do something like that than what people who've never been in the industry understand. I mean, oh, my goodness, gracious, talk about an eye opener. And so it fundamentally took the right people, and that started with Tom Logan and you guys have known Tom for Tom says forty years. So but Tom and I about just over two years ago, we were just talking about some other stuff. I've known Tom for oh my god, ten years or more now, and I literally threw out I said, hey, are you at all interested in doing a short? And he basically he said, let's see what you got. And so I sent him the script and he goes, yeah, this is good, and he says it needs work. But so we spent work and six weeks tweaking the script. And then the next thing, I know where you have a crew in San Diego, an amazing crew, and then we start casting and Tom literally.
Speaker 11: Calls me up because Eliza, you sent him a tape. And Eric was in the background and Tom called me and he says, you will never believe who just sent a tape in And he sent it to me and I was going, oh my god, is this for real? And I said I want him. I did, and immediately and.
Speaker 1: We you know, and I mean it took a little while to go through all of that. One of the concerns that Tom had was that he didn't want it to look like we were doing any inside favors and and and so. But I but Eliza, you were amazing from the get go. And Eric, I always thought you would be fabulous as Senator Deppon from the very start. I just saw it. I don't know how, I don't know how to describe it. And so what happened was is that there was a Tom had a medical situation when we were first supposed to shoot, and we had to delay it. And because of that, that's how we got the both of you. And literally, I mean as recently as yesterday, Tom was saying how great it was that he had to go through that medical thing, because it's how we got you, guys. I mean, well, and.
Speaker 6: This is a great example of like of like people hearing this story and knowing I made movies because it's so freaking fun. Yes, you meant, such cool people, and I have such fun every day of my life.
Speaker 7: Okay, on that note, I have to take him downstairs, are you guys?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Eric, Oh my god, Eric, thank you so much. You have a great time.
Speaker 4: Eric, Yes, okay, Okay, Eliza you coming back or are you going coming back? Okay, So Eliza's coming back on guys, guys radio, We've got Mike top. So tell us, Mike, before you got to your kind of quote unquote lucky break that you work so hard for.
Speaker 5: What was your path getting into the kind of system?
Speaker 1: Oh? My god, So I way back, and I'm talking about forty years ago. I knew I was a storyteller and I wanted to do that even even further back than that. But I just made the decision or just not even that, that I wanted to make movies because I'm a visual oriented person. I love film, and so I didn't have a clue. So what happened was is I answered a cattle call for a feature film for The Handmaid's Tale, and I got in and from the moment I showed up on set the first time, and that was literally when I went to the the location office for for Just Wardrobe, I got bit by the bug so bad, and it was it was transformative.
Speaker 4: Did you have your SAG How did you deal with the whole you know, getting on?
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't. I I did a lot of films, always as a either non union or or union, as a as an extra or a featured extra, hoping to get a SAG card and never did. And then finally when I am now doing yard sailing, and I'm in it. But I'm also the writer and I'm the producer. I sign my own Taft Hartley, so I'm I'm SAG eligible. I I'm not joining because A I'm not really trying to be an actor anymore. Secondly, I'm in North Carolina, which is right to work. So if and when SAG makes me join, I guess I will. But I'm not rushing to join the Screen Actors Guild or for that matter, the Producer's Guild or the Writer's Guild. I you know, I'm at a point in life where the benefits of it are just minimal or not there. And why give up? Why I give up a portion of my earnings and and so forth. So but yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, do you have a manager? Does Eliza work? Do you work with Eliza or no?
Speaker 1: Okay, no, I don't have a manager. I have a pr rap Glauri, and that came from Eliza. But other than that, no, I don't have an agent. I you know, I'm writing my own stuff. I've got multiple multiple scripts I'm working on. Well, I was working on three projects and we kind of pushed one to the back burner for a little while. But I've got well four projects anyway, three so I've got I've got a couple of projects that I'm doing right now and it's because I make friends in the industry and then we just do stuff. And then I'm working on a feature that Tom will direct and and hopefully we'll have Eric Eliza maybe more in it, and well we need but so you know, and I mean after that, I've got I don't know, half four or five cent scripts.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this, Mike, the different hats you wear, which is the most challenging and production is very obviously being a producer, line producer is really tough. And writing, of course, you know it's all about the writing. But for you, what's been the biggest challenge and where have you What are some of the lessons you've learned?
Speaker 1: Well, man, the hardest part is just getting the financing. I mean, that's the tough part. But I'm not the one that's doing that. I have a production partner who is pretty good at that, and so I just leave that to her to do it. But everything else it isn't hard. I know it's supposed to be. But writing to me is easy, literally, and and and then the producing is it's just because I'm pressing forward with the vision and mentally, I'm always organizing this stuff.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just the way I think, in the way I am, so to me, it's kind of logical.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: My special guest, one of my special guests today, Mike Toe. We're talking about Yard selling his short film, award winning short film which features our other guests, Eric Roberts, who had the lead to go to a photo shoot and his wife Eliza, who's going to be back in a momentarily hopefully. So when the different parts of the filmmaking process. How for those out there who are interested in following your path, Mike, what would be your advice? It is a financial business and you have a production partner. How did you get your production partner and they review the script and say I can get behind this. I'm going to go pitch it.
Speaker 1: No, no, because these are people that I've known for a long time, and you know, it's funny. Eric talked about how it's fun and to me, it really starts off with making friends with people in the industry and then just collaborating. Colatt and I have been working on multiple projects for a long time and and Eric in Eliza. Though this was the first project I've worked on with them, I have complete confidence and certainty that I'm going to be working with them again. And Tom and I are just really good friends and we just you know, it's there's no there's no magic elixir to do this. It's about developing connections. And and people ask me how do I break in? And it's like, well, you have to start, Hey, Eliza, Eliza.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about just how do you break into the industry? And in my case, I'm saying, you just have to develop connections. And then I was about to say that you have to become an absolute student of the industry. You have to train, you have to learn, you have to devote yourself to it because it doesn't come easy and it doesn't come quick and if you're if you don't take it seriously, it won't take you seriously.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're a master of that.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 7: It's changed so much as you were saying Robert before, and these days you really can. I mean, you create an actor's access profile, you start submitting yourself. You make sure that you consider it to be a job, and you don't slack off on updating your pictures and all your stuff, and it's marketing. It's like you've got to be as good at that, and it's intuitive, so you know you're looking for that tipping point, but you can't force it, but just start creating content. I mean, now we can do that. We're not sort of reliant as we used to be. But what Mike is saying is really true. To get an education so that finally the language sounds like your native language and you don't feel like an outsider anymore.
Speaker 1: The other thing is is that people who are outside trying to shortcut their way in and want a fanboy. It's recognized very fast by people in the industry, and at least my feeling is it's a turnoff. I don't want to be around people who think that just because they're entitled for some bizarre reason, that they should just jump in and they haven't paid their dues and they haven't they don't know what they're doing, and they think it's so easy, and they think that anybody can do it because the greats make.
Speaker 5: It look easy.
Speaker 4: Interesting, So it seems like when you read about projects nowadays, it's like you have to because it's a financial business. They want to have a star connected. And it seems like with Eric and Eliza, they're like, you seem like regular people And I say, I put that in quotes, but like real people that and Eric's got to be in demand because of that. Do you find that people sometimes take advantage that's he makes himself available to good material, whereas some other people make it really like hard to play, they play really hard to get.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely, but it's just definitely that affects it. There's no question but that, you know, we'll do a show and you'll find that somebody with kind of a lesser name and maybe a lesser contribution is getting a lot more money whatever. You know. But we can't force ourselves to be different from how we are. It would be very uncomfortable. And so therefore we kind of have the same headspace as the first day that either of us ever heard the words you got the part that that's never you know, we've preserved that it's it never really disappeared, and I think for some people it doesn't disappear, but an affectation takes place where they feel that they can't show that they're still excited about it. And and yeah, people take advantage sometimes or they'll take advantage of who who Eric's related to and try to get to them through us and stuff like that. But it's not a big issue. It's not it's it's it's always very manageable and very dealable. We're really grateful to be working period. I mean, we really appreciate it. We continue to take care of our family. You know, our kids are grown and everything, but but there now they have kids. I mean there's always you know, people need stuff and that's why we're doing this, and and so we're just really glad to be working.
Speaker 5: Now. You have a I'm not sure you have a son.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a son or it's step son who's in the music business. Who's done very well with.
Speaker 7: Steps and they say, bonus, he's in the music business. You know, those businesses are cousins to each other. There are very similar stuff going on in both businesses. He's the music business, he's doing great. But h it's listen, it's really it's really hard. Even people who have made it go through a lot of stuff, a lot of disappointment. And then my daughter, she's a chef and she caters movies and she's a creator. She does those incredible cakes that look like other things and stuff, and she and her wife live really close to us, thank goodness, and they have two little girls and her wife's a labor and delivery nurse. My family refers to her as the person in the family who has the real job, and we kind of envy her. I mean, you know, there's retirement and stuff. I mean, that's those jobs in the outside world. Are they offer a lot that we can't offer.
Speaker 5: People don't realize that.
Speaker 4: I remember in Eric's Bucky mentions the fact that you know, those people think that actors are just kind of printing money, and it's not necessarily the case. Being a working actor and working actors it's it's uh, it's challenging and you have to be on it all the time. And one of the things I admire about what some of the decisions you've made and how you've driven the process aalize it is that Eric, you know.
Speaker 5: He was open to music videos and he's a huge music video icon because of that.
Speaker 4: And it's just I guess if you're trying to break into the business, you have to be open to a lot of different ideas. You have to be selective. Of course, but you have to have an open mind. Is that Is that true?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Because I mean it's it's all a gamble. So otherwise, what you're trying to do is protect predict algorithms, trends, you know, outcomes. That's that's exhausting and not fun to try to predict all that.
Speaker 1: So instead you.
Speaker 7: Find one element that compels you to say yeah, and then you just have a good time and let go. I mean, you're not there for the result. You support the project like we're doing right now, you know, with your because we love it, believe in it, we love all the people. But yeah, you don't. It's in the old days. I think they used to try to do that. It didn't work. It's never worked, so yeah, just jump in.
Speaker 5: Okay. One last question for both of you.
Speaker 4: What's your best piece of advice to our audience out there burgaining filmmakers.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, My best piece of advice is is to become a student of the industry and never ever ever give up, never quit, and never listen to the people who tell.
Speaker 1: You what makes you think, what makes you think you can blah blah blah.
Speaker 7: Okay, Eliza, I would say it's do it. Start doing it right now. Put in that Malcolm Gladwell, practice and and and absolutely just kind of eye on the ball and keep going in every way that you possibly can. And you know, so that would that would be a definitely also study, you know, study the trends and the artists and what's going on. There's room for new filmmakers. Every year there are new people who come along, and in terms of what you said about it, it feels like you have to attach a name first year you're financing. Look at Anora, I mean, you know, look what happened there. Probably who god knows how many people turn that movie down, and there are a lot that happens a lot, and then we make stars. I think the whole star thing first needs to end because it's ridiculous and and it's never been necessary. But I think just go for it. That would be my main advice.
Speaker 5: Fantastic, Mike Toe, good luck. Yard Sailing is the movie? Look for it? Everybody where? Can where do where? Can people see it? Out there? Mike?
Speaker 1: Actually it's on my Website's what your website? Yeah, Emeraldoakproductions dot com.
Speaker 4: Fantastic and Eliza anything new we need to know about where everybody to look for. I know Eric, so every time I go online, I see he's appearing someplace else.
Speaker 7: I know, there's so much. There is actually so much cool stuff. I would say for everybody to look at Hippo, which is Dan McBride and Company production, and definitely yard Sailing because we really do love yard sailing. It was really fun and we really love it. And then just I kind of keep up with our IMDb pages because there's so much. There is so much new stuff happening.
Speaker 4: There really is so Thank you, Eric Roberts, Eliza Roberts, Mike Tove hang on for a second, but I'm going to close out our interview now.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, what a fascinating conversation with Eric Roberts. I mean, wow, you know, Runaway Training is more than a Hollywood memoir. It's a testament to perseverance, accountability, love, and the possibility of transformation. I think the listeners and viewers will you come away if you read this book inspired by Eric's journey and his willingness to tell it all with such authenticity. It's really a wonderful autobiography. And I urge everybody to pick up a copy because he doesn't hold any puncheons. It's very true and very telling and very inspirational. And you know, Eric and Eliza are really the regular people and really nice people and super talented, and they give a lot back to the industry, and they have some positive things to say about Hollywood. They're working actors, they do their work, they show up, they do their work, they're professionals, and they're really nice people. So it is possible we read all this stuff about Hollywood and all questionable stuff what's going on there, but there are good people in the business, and Eric and Eliza, as far as I can tell, are top quality people, really nice to work with, and great, super creative talents. You've seen Eliza in Animal House. She was one of the gals the co Eds who gets left at the roadhouse, and that one of those fable scenes in Animal House. And Eric's been in such great movies. My personal favorite is UH popa Greenwich Village, and I love the artistic choices that he makes, and I love the fact that when Eric gets into a role, he really commits himself.
Speaker 5: So I hope you enjoyed the show UH.
Speaker 4: And then our conversation with Eric because wonderful actor, really good guy and uh hopefully we'll get him on here again at some point. Thank you for listening to guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, like I always say, guys, guys, finish first.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 10: Express one oh six point five FM, the.
Speaker 1: Number one FM.
Speaker 10: Radio JZA, the station that leaves no listener behind Express one oh six point five FM.
Speaker 12: I'm doctor Anthony Lyiserwitz, and this is climate connections. Sports are a big part of many kids' lives, but climate change is disrupting their ability to play. In a survey by the Aspen Institute, US, parents reported that their kids missed an average of seven days of practices and competitions in twenty twenty four due to extreme and changing weather conditions. For example, extreme heat or wildfire smoke can make it unsafe to play outside. Heavy rain can flood fields, and a major storm can wipe out facilities.
Speaker 14: Goals, nets, balls can also be completely threatened in the event of an incident of extreme weather.
Speaker 12: Jessica Murphy is an assistant professor in the Department of Exercise in Sports Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She says, college and professional teams may have the resources to quickly recover after extreme weather, but that's often not the case for youth sports teams.
Speaker 14: We don't see these organizations rebuild or relocate in the same way we do at the higher levels.
Speaker 12: And community sports programs which provide affordable access to athletics, often have the hardest time recovering, so as the climate warms, some kids may have fewer opportunities to play and compete. Climate Connections is produced by the Yelle Center for Environmental Communication. To learn more about climate change, visit Climate connections dot.
Speaker 8: Org, KCIA and KCAA internet television the station that leaves no listener and no viewer behind. Are you looking for a good union job? The Inland Empires fourteen thousand members strong Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two has opened a training center to get at working people trained and placed in open positions in public service, clerical work, and in jobs in the logistics industry. This is a new opportunity to advance your career and raise standards across the region. Visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 10: And now the voices of KCAA with an exciting announcement.
Speaker 8: Want to hear NBC News or KCAA anywhere you go, Well, now there's a nap for that.
Speaker 4: CACAA is celebrating twenty five years in our silver anniversary with a brand new app.
Speaker 6: The new KCAA app is now available on your smart device, cell phone, in your car, or any place.
Speaker 7: Just search KCAA on Google Play or in the Apple.
Speaker 4: Store one touch and you can listen on your car radio, Bluetooth device, Android Auto or Applecar Play.
Speaker 8: Catch the KCAA bus in your earbuds or on the street. Celebrating twenty five years of talk news and excellence with our new kc AA.
Speaker 10: Just do it and download it.
Speaker 3: K c A celebrating twenty five years.
Speaker 8: The te Hebot Club is the only registered manufacturer of original pure powd R COO to Hebot in the United States that's organic and naturally caffeine free. A one pound package of t is fifty nine to ninety five. Shipping is free, so that really is the total price. Call us add eight one eh sixty one zero eight zero eight eight Monday through Saturday, nine am to five pm. California time. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. Or visit to Hebot club dot com. To Hebo is spelled ta h ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club. So the complete website is Tahebot club dot com. Or call us at eight one eight six' one zero eight zero eight. Eight that's eight one eight six 's one zero eight zero eight. Eight The tahebo tree is an amazing. Tree it never gets, sick never gets, infected and never gets. Infested it's the only tree in the world that fungus does not grow. On as a, result it naturally has, antifungal anti, infection anti, viral, antibacterial and anti parasite. Properties these benefits go a long way in helping our immune system contend with a lot of things it has to fight on a daily. Basis parasites would be something like stomach problems or limes. Disease inflammation would be something like rheumatoid arthritis or. Lupus infection would be any infection from a tooth infection to a bladder. Infection bacteria would be something like gum disease or stomach. Issues viral would be something like HERPES hiv or the, coronavirus and fungus would be something like, toenail, fungus yeast or. Candida but maybe more, importantly THE t builds red corpuscles in the blood which carry oxygen to our organs and, cells and our organs and cells need oxygen to regenerate. Themselves the immune system needs oxygen to, developed and cancer happens to die in. Oxygen so the tea is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new, cells everything from the cells in our skin so we can look, better to the cells in our organs so they function, properly and it can truly be miraculous for someone fighting a potentially life threatening disease due to an, infection, diabetes or. CANCER a one pound package of tea is fifty nine to ninety. Five shipping is, free so that really is the total. Price call us AT a one eight six one zero eight zero eight Eight monday Through saturday nine am to five Pm california. Time that's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight, eight or visit to hebot club dot. Com To hebo is spelled ta h ee b like boy, oh then the WORD t and then the word. Club so the complete website Is tahebot club dot com or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight. Eight that's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight.
Speaker 15: Eight whenever love gets you now missus, brown and things sing hard or top and people are, stupid obnoxious or, doft and you feel what you've had quite in. Mi just readmember that just handing on a planet that's, evolving revolving at nine hundred miles an, hour it's orbit team at ninety miles.
Speaker 16: A, second so it's.
Speaker 15: Reckoned a sun that is the source.
Speaker 3: Of all our.
Speaker 15: Power The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see are moving at a million miles a day in an hour to spile alarm at forty thousand miles an. Hour of the galaxy we're called The Milky. Way our galaxy itself contains one hundred billion. Stars it's one hundred thousand light year signed to. Sun it bounes in the. Middle we've seen thousand light years, thick but out by, us it's just three thousand light years. Wide we're thirty thousand light years from galactic central. Point we go round every two hundred million years And our galaxy is only one of millions of. Billions it is amazing and expanding.
Speaker 16: Universe use itself keeps on expanding and expanding in all of the directions it can win is as fast as it can go at the speed of, light you, know twelve million miles a, minute and that's the fastest speed there.
Speaker 15: Is so, remember when you're.
Speaker 16: Feeling very small and.
Speaker 15: Insecure how amazingly unlikely is your book and Play The Dawn's Intelligent. Life somewhere up in space comes the tug along Down.
Speaker 10: Hill Ut, news weather And talk FROM kcaa broadcasting to The Marino, Valley corona And.
Speaker 8: Riverside empire talks.
Speaker 17: Back the attitude, that, well the little guy cannot win seems to prevail despite the fact that over time we've seen that the little, guy if he is, persistent he becomes the big.
Speaker 1: Guy empire talks, Back.
Speaker 17: No it's because maybe people figure out little knowledges like. Smoke it leads to the.
Speaker 1: Fire empire talks.
Speaker 17: BACK i think this drive for, equality this drive for, justice is gathering steam as opposed to fading. OUT i think more and more people realize the importance of the freedoms That america.
Speaker 1: Represents Empire Talks back With Wallace allen And Friends sunday mornings at ten am On am ten FIFTY.
Speaker 5: Kcaa but what the THINGS a fun coming?
Speaker 12: Around i'm Doctor Anthony, lyiserwitz and this is climate. Connections over the past, decade more than one hundred thousand people in THE us have developed an allergy to red, meat triggered by the bite of a lone star. Tick unlike most, ticks which passively wait for an animal to latch, onto lone star ticks can identify a potential host and quickly crawl toward.
Speaker 15: Them they called them like a hunter.
Speaker 12: Tick eravana And tangamani is director of The Sunni center for Vector Borne diseases At Upstate Medical university In New. York he says lone star, tics saliva and red meat both contain a molecule called alpha. GAL a tick bite can transfer alpha gal into a person's, blood which can trigger an immune. Response after, that whenever that person is exposed to alpha, gal like when they eat a burger or, steak it can cause an allergic. Reaction symptoms can include, hives, vomiting, and in rare, cases life threatening. Anaphylaxis lone star tics thrive in warm areas and were traditionally found In Southern, states but as the climate, warms their range is. Expanding we are.
Speaker 7: Now seeing more loan certis in The Northeast United states as.
Speaker 12: Well for, example cases of alpha gal syndrome have spiked On Long, island so the prevalence of the aggressive hunters and the risk of developing a red meat allergy is on the. Rise Climate connections is produced by The Yelle center For Environmental. Communication to learn more about climate, change Visit climate connections dot.
Speaker 8: Org located in the heart Of San, Bernardino, california The Teamsters local nineteen thirty Two Training center is designed to train workers for high, demand good paying jobs and various industries throughout The Inlet. Empire if you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union, contract visit nineteen thirty Two Training center dot org to enroll. Today that's nineteen thirty Two trainingcenter dot. Org The Legacy.
Speaker 10: Southern CALIFORNIA'S, kcaa the number one talk radio station.
Speaker 3: In The Inlet.
Speaker 8: EMPIRE Kcaa radio has openings for one hour talk. Shows if you want to host a radio show now is the. Time MAKE cacaa your flangship. Station our rates are affordable and our services are set to. None we broadcast to a population of five million people. Plus we stream and podcast on all major online audio and video. Systems if you've been thinking about broadcasting a weekly radio program on real radio plus The, internet contact OUR ceo at two eight one five nine nine ninety eight. Hundred two eight one five nine nine ninety eight. Hundred you can skype your show from your home to Our, Redlands california, studio where our live producers and engineers are ready to work with you. PERSONALLY a radio program ON kcaa is the perfect work from home advocation in these stressful. Times just TYPE kcaa radio dot com into your browser to learn more about hosting a show on the best station in the, nation or call our ceo for details. Too eight one five nine nine ninety eight. Hundred you're on BOARD Kcaas Inland Talk EXPRESS Kcaa homelanda ten fifty am the station that needs nobles here Behind
Speaker 4: Radio one