Speaker 1: Welcome to May's Mouth, a Ghostwax interlude. May's Mouth is set in the worlds of Ghostwax, but is a shade darker and contains graphic content. Listener discretion is advised. Episode four, Other People's Basements.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, shit, shit, shit, shit shit, just keeping the bush.
Speaker 3: The cushions stopped, but his stomach is open.
Speaker 4: What what's that?
Speaker 3: A guard dog?
Speaker 2: We can't we can't get out of here.
Speaker 3: No, if there's a god dog, there's something to God.
Speaker 4: Ben is going to die.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, we gotta get him to a hospital. We gonna call nine one one or something.
Speaker 3: Nobody is coming. We just emptied three handguns and a shotgun in a residential neighborhood ten minutes ago, and there's no sirens. Nobody is coming.
Speaker 5: Wrong bandwidth, but maybe she's right. The front door was open and Ben's left hand was laying on the front step, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: I went to get it. It seemed like I should just leave it out there. I picked it up, looked.
Speaker 6: And the old guy across the street was staring at me. He fucking waved at me like I'm not covered in blood and holding a severed human hand.
Speaker 4: So I waved back with three hands. He didn't flinch.
Speaker 7: They can't see.
Speaker 6: Shit, can't hear shit, And for once, I don't think it's because of me.
Speaker 2: His place is blanked out.
Speaker 8: Why the fuck has no one killed me yet?
Speaker 2: Oh jesus, you're conscious.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 5: Did you want me to put your hand on ice or something?
Speaker 8: No, I want you to fucking put a bullet in my hand, you piece of shirt shit?
Speaker 4: Who where are the extra clips?
Speaker 3: We aren't killing him?
Speaker 4: Oh, well that's rude.
Speaker 3: Oh, we don't have time to fight about this. But we are too close. There's a way into the maze in that fucking basement, and he is coming with us.
Speaker 4: My sure, whatever you say.
Speaker 3: Get his legs, are they still attached?
Speaker 8: Give me a gun. I'll kill fig and then I'll do myself.
Speaker 7: It's good of you. Well you're coming with us.
Speaker 8: Fucking hurt, didn't drink? God damn matter with you? People?
Speaker 3: Just trust me.
Speaker 7: I always trusted you.
Speaker 3: Just trust me.
Speaker 2: I head hurts, don't chase its fucking crush.
Speaker 4: Fuck whatever is the matter?
Speaker 2: You fucking scared me?
Speaker 4: Oh God, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You got shot. You got shot in the head, and a big chunk of it. It fucking hanging off. You can't sneak up on people with a chunk of your head is hanging off. That should be a rule.
Speaker 7: Sorry, heads empty?
Speaker 4: What's it always lemonade? What do we do with it?
Speaker 1: You got the hell on with it?
Speaker 3: I'll just leave it. What's the lady thing doing.
Speaker 7: Making lemonade?
Speaker 2: Apparently?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Fine?
Speaker 7: Leave it.
Speaker 9: On every street you've ever lived in, there were houses, yards, windows, rooms you never saw that no one saw. And there were basements.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of shit down here.
Speaker 3: Stop looking for what.
Speaker 7: A guys?
Speaker 2: What is it? Funny feeling?
Speaker 3: Follow it? Follow that feeling?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Why do I?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: I don't. I don't hunt.
Speaker 4: Going into shock? Just father the light man.
Speaker 7: That's not it.
Speaker 3: He's not bleeding anymore.
Speaker 5: Ah, I'll be damned.
Speaker 3: There really is an entrance here.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? What are you saying?
Speaker 3: I never told you all of the grizzly details of the night Cooper was taken. Some unpleasant bits have become relevant. People king under behind inside everything.
Speaker 2: Speak the fuck up, miss Molly.
Speaker 10: I cannot believe we haven't shared all the intel on the extra dimensions we are all after.
Speaker 2: But please do fucking spill.
Speaker 3: I I so that night there was a storm. Nothing on the weather report, so my dad would have called and warned me about it. Just suddenly battering water on the windows. Cooper yelped from upstairs, and I went up. I did the whole storms out, bad rains good for flowers. Flowers are good for bunnies. You love bunnies, Song and dance?
Speaker 4: Did you hear that boiler noises?
Speaker 3: I went downstairs, trying not to think about how I was going to have to do twice as many of those kind of parent speeches and have half the margin of err on fucking up. When when Cooper screamed again different, I went back up. I remember, I remember the stairs seemed to creak so loud. He was under the covers shaking. I did my best. I hugged him, told him that sometimes bad dreams seemed like they follow you out of sleep. He said there was a man in his Closetesh, yeah, that been going on a while, said there was a lady in his closet watching him. We'd been making progress, he was getting braver, but wow, the storm.
Speaker 7: I looked.
Speaker 3: I did the five point inspection with a flashlight, talked about being brave. I told him I told him that it's just a bad dream, and that bad dreams can be blown away like smoke if you just tell them they aren't real. Hi, eh, I remember, I remember just ignoring the mud in the closet, like, oh, you know, kids, stuff gets dirty. Right thinking back on it, it was wet right, hi. Shit, If I'm honest, My big glass of wine was on the table downstairs and I really wanted to get back to it when I heard him screaming again.
Speaker 7: You aren't real, you aren't real, over and over. You aren't real, You aren't real. But his fear was so real I knew, are you right away?
Speaker 3: Oh god, I am. I don't really remember what went through my mind. It's like those neighbors outside me. Maybe some stuff you kind of wipe out for self preservation. Here the thing could have been mistaken for a person at a distance, but the clothes were just more skin, and the hair was it was like thin worms. I can't picture much, but oh god, the sound his little voice, Oh oh fuck.
Speaker 7: He called for me, Mummy, mummy, no, mummy, Christ.
Speaker 3: It had him and I just attacked it like like an animal. I got a big chunk of its arm in my mouth and I bicked down. Its bones were like spongy, and its blood was oil. I clawed at its base, tried to gouge at its eyes, but it didn't fucking have any. But it did have the teeth. It smiled at me. It opened its mouth. I'll never get this out of my head. It just slowly pushed out its tongue. It had like all this white scarring on it, this white pattern on the dark purple flesh. It looked like a map, like on the back of a cereal box, kind of map. And its teeth were all bloody night.
Speaker 2: Please, please, just God, just don't tell us anymore.
Speaker 3: No, I have to tell you how how so it watched me, let me tie myself out, and then I don't really know, but it hit me. It hit me. And when I was little, I remember wandering into the surf when my parents went looking, and getting just rocked by a wave. Everything just turns into spinning. He was so helpless. My limbs just exploded as I tumbled across the ground, slammed into what was left of the Cooper's bed. The banister went straight through my stomach. I don't know how I got myself, you know, unimpaled, But the next thing I remember, well two things. I remember knowing how I was dying, and I remember being determined to die, crawling after it, trying to attack it for what it had done, like I'd earned some kind of runners up award, like the heroics mattered. I crawled. I fucking crawled where the closet was. The back of the closet there was this hallway, portraits on the wall, all of Cooper. I crawled and crawled, and I realized I didn't hurt. I wasn't bleeding anymore. I crawled I don't know how long, but after a while I could stand. After a while I was running. I ran, and I must have gotten turned around, because I wound up running right back out of the closet. And when I turned around, the entrance was gone. And after that, the police, the funeral, the reporters, home invasion gone wrong, man hunt for feral dog. No one knew shit. I half thought it was a psychotic break myself.
Speaker 2: So what the maze heels you and it can heal people?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I never knew if it was something that Snatcher did too to torture me more, let me live with it, or what? Then? He's still with us.
Speaker 8: I'm alive.
Speaker 3: I think that's decent evidence both that the maze doesn't let you die and that it's close.
Speaker 4: I think, so help me move this. We did it? Damn?
Speaker 7: What is that.
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 2: It's just mirrored? Does it look like yeah, looked like a.
Speaker 8: Cyst, like can cancerous cells.
Speaker 2: But it's a cinder block wall. It's a cinder block wall with cancer.
Speaker 4: Okay, So do we cut into it?
Speaker 2: That's your solution to everything?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I mean, we've all seen doors and windows and shit.
Speaker 4: This isn't that. It's like sealed over? Is it permeable?
Speaker 5: I don't even know what I'm looking at.
Speaker 4: Do we push on it?
Speaker 2: Help me up?
Speaker 8: I'll do it. I'm fucked anyway.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, maybe this isn't such a good idea.
Speaker 8: We haven't come this far to back off now.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, bucket, yeah, what are you doing? Oh my god, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess you won't need this extra hand.
Speaker 8: Feels incredible. Hu huh, look at it. It even has the tan line from my wedding ring.
Speaker 2: Why did you do that?
Speaker 8: I just felt I felt like I should that I had to.
Speaker 3: I felt like that earlier. I just told the thing, that thing that was pretended to be the little girl who lived here. I told it to die. I don't know why I didn't and it did.
Speaker 5: I don't know why I thought that was a coincidence.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's empty space behind this. We stay calm, fig come with him back to the truck to get the stuff. Molly, VICKI, you finish your top to bottom of this basement. See if there's any other ways in. We don't know how lung until they come to check on this site or they're already on their way. Time is a factor, so we go.
Speaker 4: Now, Oh good, the pause is all better.
Speaker 8: You want to be in charge?
Speaker 5: Fucking no, let's go.
Speaker 3: I can't believe we found it. I'm never going back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'm really mad at you. I'm really happy too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry. I should have told you everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's okay. How I knew I was right?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: I knew she was alive?
Speaker 3: Your daughter? H yeah, Kayley, yeah, Kayley.
Speaker 2: Everyone said it was my fault.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: I can't wait to put her in her best little dress and and parayed her around in front of him. Fucking show them, fucking show them, you know, you know after Stay took Kayley, after.
Speaker 2: Day took her, everyone said the most terrible things to me. Did she did? She ran away? That even.
Speaker 10: My mom, my own mom, testified in court about this stuff. You were a bad mom.
Speaker 2: You left her alone. My mom comes over and finds Kaylee alone. And I was going for like an hour.
Speaker 7: It's like an hour.
Speaker 10: It's it's fine, but you know, stuff happens, Kids get hurt, and like you can't be there all the time.
Speaker 2: And I did what I could and it's my fault. How many Mother of the Year awards did she win? None? Right, I was a better mom than she ever was. I didn't do anything to them, and it was my daughter.
Speaker 10: It was gone taking the spider snatched her up, and I.
Speaker 2: Did what I had to do, you know, you know, suddenly.
Speaker 10: They're looking through old pictures, old photos and oh, oh that's a bruise. I'm look how skinny she is here, like like kids have bruises, kids go through growth spurts, And.
Speaker 2: I mean, sure, you know exactly what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like your kid got killed. Mine just disappeared.
Speaker 10: Like I can't even imagine how much people said you He's like Hey, you failed him, right for how you fox up?
Speaker 2: Probably lots thought you did it.
Speaker 3: People people don't know how to deal with this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're gonna show them. We're gonna show them. Yeah, she's alive.
Speaker 7: I knew it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna find her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Ghost Wax, a production of Foreign Tall Tales. Find us at Foreign Tall Tales dot squarespace dot com. If you like the show, please rate and review and consider joining us on Patreon at Patreon dot com. Slash far and Tall Tales. Ghost Wax is written and directed by Robert Knutson, production and editing by Aaron Schoenrock, with music by Colton war And. This episode features Michael mcgeekon as Ben, Abigail Ramsdale as Molly, Adrian Northam as Vig, Allison Cossett as Vicky, and Billie joe'connes as Mom,