Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue and Sider Dick Gabriel with you on a Thursday edition of our show. And this is a day that we'll be remembered as the day Jasper Johnson committed to play at the University of Kentucky. The Wildcat coaching staff, Mark Pope and his guys apparently flipping Jasper away from Alabama and back to the Bluegrass. He's been at a prep school for the last year or so, but of course matriculated at Woodford County High School. That's where his father played, and of course was a football Wildcat for three years before going on to the NFL. But Jasper one of the top basketball players, one of the top dozen in the country according to two four to seven Sports. Travis Branham of two seven m ced the event. Did a good job with it, I thought, But the reason we didn't start the broadcast as we ordinarily would have with the announcement was it was really unconventional, which is not unusual this day and age. He didn't do the hats thing. He did a sponsorship thing where when Brandham asked him, where was he going to play now, he invokes a couple of his sponsors.
Speaker 2: Where will be playing college basketball.
Speaker 3: I will be at sad uh is the Denatos here. He's supposed to have a put delivery from me.
Speaker 1: Got delivery. He's got the phone out of the Domino's on the phone. They bring him the box and then you'll hear somebody say take your jacket off, and he shows his shirt. This is Morgan and Morgan, and Morgan and Morgan. And then comes the announcements that we all kind of knew was coming.
Speaker 2: I will be.
Speaker 4: On I will be going to the UH.
Speaker 1: So you never really got to hear him say the University of Kentucky because he pulled the jersey out of the box, and of course the fans all went nuts. This kind of leaked out yesterday when the word came out, and again several different places I heard it that he was going to be at the football game this Saturday with the UK basketball team. So yeah, you know he's going to be a Kentucky Wildcat. Be kind of awkward for him to not pick Kentucky and to come to the football game. So and again. Travis Brannham from two four to seven Sports on behalf of CBS Sports HQ, conducting the interview at the table and asked the obvious question, why Kentucky.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of winning into it. I mean, coach Cole you know, they had a short period of time with the coaches switches. But I feel like, you know, he made a big commitment, take a lot of time and spoke a lot with me, So I feel like the trust was there between me and him and the coaches save and I mean being from leisas Tokit Techy, I mean, I feel like that was a you know, easy decision right there. I mean, I feel like I'm khy.
Speaker 1: It's I'm ky until I die. Although there was a point where, like I said, it did look like he was going to Alabama, and a lot of that had to do with the nil but and I came through. Of course here in Kentucky, Donado's Morgan and Morgan and who knows what else. But and you can't blame the kid. You know, you never know when you're gonna blow a knee or turn an ankle. So Jasper Johnson, as expected for the last forty eight hours, is a Kentucky Wildcat. And you got to think that they knew this by now down in Alabama. Within the last forty eight hours. But Johnson joins Malachi Mareno from this recruiting class, Travis Perry, Trent Noah from last year's recruiting class. That's a core of Kentucky players who will build with Mark Pope. Maybe they'll be here for a year, maybe they'll be here longer, but at the very least, Mark Pope has got a roster with Kentucky kids on it. And not a knock on Cali Perry, because you would think that if Calip Perry were here, he would have been going after these guys. You knew he went after Jasper Johnson. You got to think he was going to go after Malachi Marino, he was not interested in Trent Noah, and of course he landed Travis Perry. But that's in the past. Mark Pope is here now and he's got himself the makings of a pretty good recruiting class for looking at next season. Of course, Jasper Johnson's got another entire seat easy to play in prep school. It's a big day for the Wildcats and again not unexpected, but put that on the back burner for now because coming up tonight we're going to talk a lot of Kentucky football. Van Hiles will join us at the bottom of the hour, the former Kentucky defensive back. It was all over the radio, social media breaking down Kentucky football. It's a lot of fun talking football with van Lee. K. Howard from WKYT will join us in our number two as well to talk about the Wildcats, and we recorded that before the Jasper Johnson announcement. You should know that we're also going to hear from Reggie Anderson, who's the sports director of the CBS TV affiliate down in Columbia. Get his take on what's going on right now with the football game Cocks. There is one other note in the college basketball world that was a big story breaking earlier today. University of Memphis has received an anonymous letter alleging the men's basketball program has committed multiple potential major NCAA violations in recent years. And I know the first reaction for most people now is well with nil with the portal, everything's legal now, it is not. There are still rules to be followed, and apparently someone is alleging that Penny Hardaway and his staff have broken rules. Now. Is it a coincidence that on the same day the athletic department at Memphis announces that multiple members of Penny Hardaway's coaching staff, and mind you you know the basketball season is coming up fast, he has let go fired Rick Stansbury, formerly the coach at Campbellsville, formerly the head coach at Mississippi State, and a top assisted at Memphis foragi Or Froggi Phillips, Jamie Rosser, and Demetrius Dyson all let go before the twenty four to twenty five regular season tips off. And of course, the story in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, and rightly so says it's not immediately clear whether there is any correlation between the letter's existence and the recent personnel moves. The Commercial Appeal obtained the letter, but did not yet independently corroborate the contents of it. Alleged that Hardaway's involvement in what could be significant violations in twenty twenty regarding the recruitment of a former Memphis player and a second student athlete who signed in twenty two but never played in a game for the team. It's now hanging over the program. So evidently it's a mess down there in Memphis, and Penny Hardaway's got to scramble to put a staff together less than two months out. Up next, we'll hear from the football Wildcats on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Bluonsidter coming up, Van Hiles, a former UK defensive back. He breaks down Kentucky football. We'll spend some time with us a little bit later on Lee K. Howard from WKYT and we'll get a report from down in Columbia, South Carolina. Yesterday was Defense Day, so we had a chance to hear from Brad White over UK football practice and a couple of the defensive players. And I asked White what concerns him the most about the South Carolina offense, and the first thing he talked about was the offensive coordinator Dow Logans for South Carolina. Apparently they go way back, and Logans is a veteran OC.
Speaker 5: You know, I know dwe you know, he's a friend of mine, and he does a really you know, extensive experience, does a great job calling games, setting up games, and so he's gonna have those guys ready to play, you know, a really talented quarterback, yes, one that may had some first game jitters anticipate him coming in ready just to really delight it up, you know, and he's got all the tools. He's got the arm strength, he's got the legs obviously. You know, Rocket Sanders there in the backfield, you know, is a proven commodity, and you know they've got weapons on the outside edge. The tight ends I think are really good players. So you talk about good players with good scheme, you know, and play calling, you know, we've got our work cutout for us.
Speaker 1: Well. Games played college football at Arkansas, but began his coaching career in the NFL. He was a quality control coach for the Tennessee Titans, and from twenty oh eight until what twenty twenty he he worked in the NFL for, like I said, the Titans, the Browns, the Bears, the Dolphins, the Jets as either a quarterbacks coach or an offensive coordinator. And the reason he moved around a lot for like a lot of NFL assistants is head coaches kept getting fired or offensive coordinators moved on or whatever. But he was tight with a guy named Adam Gaze. When Lol Gaines was out of work, he would hire him because he likes the way he coaches, obviously, and take him with to whoever he was. So he has really experienced at the Pro game, but then he went back to his alma mater in twenty twenty one Arkansas. For two seasons was the tight ends coach for the Hogs, and then last year and this he's the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for South Carolina. He has a dual threat quarterback who's got a strong arm and can run the ball, Lenorris Sellers. So we talked a couple of the players about what it's gonna take to be gap disciplined and handle a guy like that. Trayvon Ripka is a defensive lineman.
Speaker 6: I mean everything starts with our eyes.
Speaker 1: Coach.
Speaker 6: Coach preaches that every coach from the defense from the D line to top of the defense preach bad eyes and gets you in trouble. So just staying disciplined with our eyes will help them make plays and do what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: For those of us who haven't yet played D line in college, what does that mean? Good eyes, bad eyes?
Speaker 6: Good eyes? Uh, you can't beat you can't. You can't make a play until you beat the guy in front of you. So if I don't whoop my tackle, I can't go shed and make make a play in the backfield because I haven't did my job in front of me yet, So I'm ready, Yes, sir, I think you are.
Speaker 1: That's Trayvon Ripka, Kentucky defensive lineman. Zion Childress is a Kentucky defensive back and talked about how quickly Kentucky's gonna have to move from non conference to a big SEC game.
Speaker 7: Going to the SEC week two, you gotta be ready quick, and so we're ready to play. We're ready to go.
Speaker 2: South Carolina's got a different personnel this year. Obviously you guys do too, but they've got you the last couple of years. Is that something you think about going into this game?
Speaker 3: Definitely? Uh.
Speaker 7: I was on the phone one of my friends the other day. He said, Man, I don't think you beat South Carolina since you've been a Kentucky and I haven't. Uh So, definitely puts a chip on our shoulder. But man, we gotta put the ball down. We gotta play ball for four quarters, and we gotta be ready to go. They got some good players over there. We got some good players, but were ready to go for sure.
Speaker 1: How do you prepare for a mobile quarterback like Leonora's sellers.
Speaker 7: Zion, Oh, you gotta be disciplined, you gotta do your assignment, and you gotta be gap sound. You know, he's a good athlete, he's a good football player. We have a bunch of good football players too, So we're ready for the challenge. It's nothing that we've never seen before, but definitely something we have to be prepared to UH to play against.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 7: We we have to be prepared for them to use him as their number one run guy, you know, so yeah, we're ready.
Speaker 1: I like how you can hear snapping his fingers at the beginning of that sound bite. You gotta be ready. So well, they sound like they are, but we have seen you and I haven't we dual threat quarterbacks come in and really give the Wildcats a hard time. So they're going to have to be on top of everything when they take on a South Carolina team that just did not impress against Old Dominion. But week one to week two, you know how that works. Bad news if you're a Gators fan. Even more bad news, Graham Mertz sidelined in concussion protocol, which means a true freshman DJ Lagway will make his first career start against Samford in the Swamp on Saturday, at Samford with an Amazon mom that's the team. The one A team in Birmingham coached by former Kentucky assistant Chris Hatcher, and of course former Kentucky assistant AD Scott Strickland is the AD at Florida, but Billy Napier made the announcement on Wednesday yesterday, and Mertz has not been able to practice this week. Said he's doing better, but he was hurt late in the third quarter that lopes I had lost to Miami this past weekend, so Lagway came in, got a little bit of experience. There was three for six, picked up twenty yards on the ground. He was the number eight player in the ESPN three hundred and Gator a Player of the Year in twenty twenty three, So Gator fans are hoping he is the answer. NFL kicks off tonight and it should be a good one. The Ravens visiting the Kansas City chiefs Lamar Jackson trying to get his team to a Super Bowl. Kansas City well knows the way. My Packers play tomorrow night and they play in South Paulo, Brazil, where they have beefed up security for their game with the Philadelphia Eagles, and you must be scratching your head as I am, why in the world are you playing there? No disrespect, but of course there are there are issues there. That's why the state government says it will deploy hundreds of police officers and provide escorts for team buses because the players have expressed concern duh about playing in Brazil. They're going to coordinate security operations with US authorities. Gun violence and crime rates in Brazil among the highest in Latin America, and evidently, metropolitan South Polo has also faced a wave of cell phone threats. I'm not sure why they folded that into the story, but it says here hundreds of civilian and military police will be deployed for the game. This is the first time the NFL will play in a South American country. Keep in mind, Mexico is considered North America. Some call it Central America, but technically Mexico is part of North America. But military police will be used to escort the team's buses to their hotels, training grounds, and stadium and have been over the last few days in will and through the time that they will leave the country. So and of course emotions are on high after Ricky pearsall the Niners rookie receiver, was shot in the chest during an attempt at armed robbery in San Francisco. They're gonna be trained dogs at the stadium looking for potential explosive devices. But I got news for you that happens at every NFL stadium and just about every college stadium in America. But they're gonna have helicopters, they're gonna have drones, and they're also gonna have a station inside the stadium to support women who are victims of violence. So let's just hope that the football is the only headline that happens throughout that game. One other note before we hit the break. Jamar Chase practiced yesterday with the Bengals. That was the key day. If he didn't practice yesterday, he's not gonna play this weekend. But he participated in the first official practice of game week. Bengals, of course, open up against the Patriots on Sunday. Yeah, those Patriots. They are the reason that everybody in survivor leagues throughout the world, everybody picking the Bengals, everybody playing it safe. He goes it says right here, there's no way the Patriots beat the Bengals. So Chase listed as a limited participant in his first practice course he's got a contract dispute happening. They talk about a mild injury, but it's all about the contract, and he and fellow receiver t Higgins, who's also got contract issues with the last ones to walk out to practice. They walked out with a couple of Bengal assistant coaches and there was Joe Burrow waiting to welcome them with open arms. So if this drags on, we'll see if it affects the Bengals. They can't go as far as they want, obviously back to the super Bowl in my opinion. Without Chase, he did not participate in any training camp or team practices for the most part while he's been working on this contract negotiation. So keep an eye on that, and I know you are if you're a Bengals fan. Up next, Van Hiles on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider joining us now one of our favorite guests because we always learn football from mister Van Hiles, former Kentucky defensive back now just becoming a media megastar, co host of The Locker four to one one driving with Styles. You hear him Monday morning quarterback segments with Tom Leach. That's a big show. And you know Sunday morning sports talk. You're everywhere. Man, You're massive now.
Speaker 8: So for I appreciate that. I'm so for from massive, But yeah, it is awesome to be able to talk Kentucky football. Never would have thought this in a million years. This is what I will be even part time doing so out. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well. I noticed you a couple three years ago on social media having a good time with the cutups, and people heard you on this show and they said they started calling, Hey, you got Van's phone number. So and I wonder how many people really know about your grilling capabilities because you have now I believe maybe I missed it earlier. Changed your background photo on your Twitter account. You got shots of what is his brisket ribs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tips?
Speaker 9: Is that right?
Speaker 1: On those tips?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 8: Those are tips?
Speaker 1: And then barbecued pork. Is that a pull pork?
Speaker 8: That's pull pork?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You see. And you need to be proud of me because I'm not a red meat guy, but I respect the grilling. It's fantastic. Fantastic.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's definitely funny. It's fun for me. It gives me another thing to try to be competitive with because every day is a different day.
Speaker 1: When you're cooking and it's relaxing. I know we'll come back to that. I need to leave myself. I just forget. I get so involved in football, I forget to leave time for the grilling. So I'm not going to give away the story because you need to follow Van on social media to find out how he broke down the video. But let's start with your favorite side of the ball defense And there were some question marks, especially the corner opposite Maxwell Harston. What did you see And granted you didn't have a sample size, you usually.
Speaker 8: Have exactly that. That is the thing. There's some good and there were some bad. To me, the most important thing for corners is one is great discipline, great eyes, and then it's confident. Yeah, and I'm not sure that JQ is one hundred percent confident on game day because it's obvious to me that he has a confidence in practice because the coaches are confident were putting them out there. So I think he needs to get get feel a little bit more wet with on game day, I think he will be to become even better because this show. As the game went on, he kind of settled in a little more and more.
Speaker 1: How can you tell that his confidence might not be where it needs to.
Speaker 8: Be, because the thing about this back is when some bad happens when it's to you, it's obvious if they throw a pass and a touchdown, well that guy messed up. And a lot of times on this level, you don't want to get big deep, so you're a little conservative on your break on balls because you want to make sure even though the ball's in your air, right a guy rather fire or hit you see the ball in the air. You just want to make sure that maybe potentially doesn't get tipped or something crazy. So his reaction to the ball is not what I think it should be or could be. And then on I think they threw another pass. They're coming out of the end zone, and he made a good break on the ball. So I think there was one pass who was slower, and then the second pass that was to his side, he broke much faster than next past. He made a good tackle on or the passer incomplete on third and and seven or something on the other side of the Steeld. So he has the potential, he just needs to settle in and gain that confidence. In my opinion, I'm like he could be the most confident guy in the world.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 1: Got himself a pick though, That's got to go a long way in building that confidence for sure.
Speaker 8: And he owes d Jack something. I don't know what those guys get for picks, but whatever he gets, he should get half of it to Djack because d Jack made He made probably one of the most underrated great plays by instile linebacker that you would get from an instile linebacker because his odd discipline on that play was out of this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I talked with trayvon Rivko about I disciplined a practice yesterday and I was pretty sure I knew what it menment had him really explained it. And of course he's coached by the great Anne war Stewart. So what did you think of the discipline of the front four?
Speaker 8: I mean, when if you don't watch the game and you are a stat group as I call them, if you if you see a team only your five yards Russian that just automatically knows shows you that that defensive line dominated. They dominated the game and the trenches on defense and there were there was nothing there. I'm not sure they had a over ten yards of more. I'm pretty sure they didn't. And if you can hold I don't care who you're playing on Saturdays, SCS, SBS, whatever, if you can limit them the five yards Russian, your defense is going to be successful.
Speaker 1: If you can limit somebody the five yards in the backyard right.
Speaker 8: Right, exactly exactly someone and someone's gonna mess up eventually, and no one did to give them a layer.
Speaker 1: Now, Jeff Percoro made a great point after the game on our broadcast when again looking at stats, what did you call them? A stat stats? What status? Yahoo?
Speaker 8: I come on, stat goofies, stat goofies.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you looked at Dion Walker, what are you gonna say, You're gonna see zeros right, But that doesn't mean he had a bad game.
Speaker 8: No, I mean that same way Max didn't have probably a great numbers on paper. Here's the thing with defensive line is there are five offensive alignments, and we really have three defensive alignments. We'll walk down J. J. Weaver, So now they have five on three. If you have to double team d On now there's four on three. Now that means someone is single block. That single guy who's blocked should create habit. The other thing is, when there's four on three, never got two linebackers, probably both them. Linebackers don't have a lineman on them because two are on d on So with him not having a great status of a great thing on paper, the thing about look at everybody else, look at the linebackers. If you have linebackers getting tackles, that means the front three is doing their job because their job is really to be a tackler. Their job is to gobble up block and a lot of those two linebackers to roam freely and make tackles, and they did a good job of that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 8: Isn't it as a tactful? I mean it is, I bet you right now. Pop was like, this product feels like when he was at Georgia he didn't have anybody on his toes. And DJ's like, man, this is a great game because man, I had no one blocking me either. It is a great game when no one's on your inside linebackers.
Speaker 1: What was your reaction when USM was three for three on third downs to open the game.
Speaker 8: I was like in a moment when it happened live, I was not happy, No, it was just bad things happened. But then here's the thing, as thin I talked about, is when I looked at the filmily, Okay, these are just mental mistakes. I can hark him back to the nineteen hundreds when we just didn't have the talent to even whole team. Sometimes this team has the talent now, they just got us threw the screws little tire between the years, and those things wouldn't happen because they played great on neighbors in the plays. But the couple plays you give up a big plays like don't give up thirty yard pass plays, fifteen to twenty yard pass plays, those can't happen if you give up an eight yard run. This team is really good on third and short. We'll see that in the past few years. Get them a third and third down, and then let's when do not make minim mistakes, because minim mistakes are worse than a physical mistake. And we had a couple of mental breakdowns in the US them had chances to potentially score because of them.
Speaker 1: It's so odd to hear you refer to the nineteen hundreds when you played, but that is literally correct. I mean you played in the mid nineties. I mean it sounds like you're saying, like back in nineteen twenty or whatever. I'm old, brother, but I'm not that old. We talk to Van Hiles, former Kentucky defensive back and the guy who hosts several presentations of Kentucky football as he breaks him down on social media. We'll come back with more questions for Van in just a minute. Here on the Big Blue Sider six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with Van Hiles, former Kentucky defensive back and now media megastar on social media. Coast to the Locker four one one, host of Driving with Styles. You hear him on the Tom Leech Report every Monday. You hear him on Sunday Morning Sports Talk. Actually they get it you first. But that's got to be a lot of fun to break things down with Tom on Monday morning. But we talked a lot of defense prior to the break. Tell me about Brock vander Riff. Are you surprised that Bush Hampden had him run the ball so much?
Speaker 8: Honestly, not really. Now, I play quarterback for a long time, so I got to college and for me, I like to get hit because it gets you into the game. It gets your juices flooring. Now there are a couple, maybe one or two too many, not in a bad way, but uh maybe, But those quarterback runs were That first quarterback run was immaculate as far as play call, as far as the formation that was given. I love giving your quarterback a chance to get in the Florida game early. And the Florida game doesn't also mean just giving you a short pass to get your confortence on throwing. Florida game is to get hit a time or two that is not a sack. So I actually liked it, so I didn't have a problem. I mean, the kid is obviously he's he's a kid who who loves it himselves because he didn't back down from anything.
Speaker 1: But he needs a slide more, doesn't.
Speaker 8: He see I'm honestly, I'm not a fly guy. Here's the reason I'm not a slide guy is when you baseball slide, you really give yourself up to a potential concussion. If a guy comes and hits you in the chest, your head is gonna snap back. I'm really afraid of that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: I don't like him not protecting himself from the first one. The safety came up and hit him on that thigh. That's that's not He's got to protect himselves a little better than that. But other than that, I didn't see anything wrong with any of the other ones except for for that one. That one was a that was what was was brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I see what you're saying. And you know, everybody remembers Will Levice who was bigger, but Vanders not small by any means. But just like running backs, they get down behind their pads right and really protect themselves that way, don't they exactly?
Speaker 8: Now, if he's close to the sideline, run out a bound, don't try to get actually yard in the half and try to no no, no, no, get down.
Speaker 2: But in the middle field.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think he got a little lost in the play the first one. But that was another one I think where it was a little confusion and where he was going for the course back draw and he got hit going towards the Craft Center building and someone came in, like third in and got a good lick at them butt. That wasn't a look that you're going to be concerned it. It just looks good. But he does have pats on that flastic is very is very protective.
Speaker 1: Well, South Carolina coming in has a little bit more or a lot more than Southern Miss, So I wonder if we'll see as much of that. But it's a team with a dual threat quarterback. And I'm sure you were a dual threat quarterback too, and you're a QB, weren't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, And that's the.
Speaker 8: Bad thing about for a defense is you're playing with eleven all the time. Now, you're not playing with ten. A quarterback that doesn't hand the ball off and then looks at what the running back is running. Even if he hands the ball off the running back, if a quarterback does a great playfake off of it, he's going to take somebody with them because of the fact that he can pull the ball off the face. You are actually playing with eleven on eleven. If he runs, he's got an extra block in front of him. Those are the things that can be harmful if the defense is not disciplined. Goes back to the trip option, the verer, the midline like all that stuff makes the defense be disciplined, and not just a couple of them. It makes everyone from the defensive line to the linebackers and the secondary. Whoever has pitch has pitched. Whoever has quarterback has quarterback. So that's the thing about is that when he goes and extend plays, not everybody has to be on that piece and keys because the player is going to last through the four seconds longer.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that was the word of the day yesterday talking to the UK defensive guys. With discipline, you can't try to do too much. I remember Mike Archer when he was here pulling with little hair that he had, pulling it out of his head because too many guys were trying to do too much instead of just taking care of their gap. Right.
Speaker 8: Yes, I don't want to say the words he used to say it for this basicly do your job. Do your job because you're playing. This is not high school. But the guy's next to you might not be as talented. Everybody on this defensive scholarship player they have talented. Let them handle their job and you handle your job. If they mess up, let me yell at them and not yell at him in you because now we got two guys messing up. So yes, that was big during my days with CoA Storch.
Speaker 1: He asked me once because he would see me in my role as sidelines reporter, kind of hovering behind the bench trying to pick up something to report on, and we made eye contact one day and he asked me a practice. He said, Hey, they can't hear me on that microphone of yours, can they? I said, Coach, what I do is I turn it off. I put my hand over the top of the mic, and I put it behind my back. So I'm triple covered when it comes to protecting America from what you're saying to these guys. But he knew his defense. I know that We're talking to Van Hiles, former Kentucky d back and football analyst on social media. Talk to me a little bit about Kentucky's run game, because it's gonna be a lot tougher to run between the tackles. Saturday afternoon. What did you see last week?
Speaker 8: I thought they played really well. There were a couple of leakages. I mean, obviously here, you're not gonna be perfect because the other guy across from you is also good and he's gonna do thing that on paper that you might not have seen. So overall, I thought the run at was was it was great. I mean, just think about it. I think every back everage seven yards of carriage. If you take away Willcox's first carry, which was a great play by them, more than a fought by us, he would have had seven yards per carry. If you can look at stat and see all your running back to seven years of carry, that's a win. So now they're gonna be tested a lot more with this South Carolina front for but let's see what they can do. I think as coach Milk and coach Archie, both of them used to say the biggest improvement coach curves from week one to week two. So if they played well week one, I think they're gonna play even better next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's that's a classic football tradition, week one to week two. All right, I'm gonna wrap football discussion a little a little early because I wanted to leave time for grilling. Did we grill this past Saturday?
Speaker 8: Yes? I was this weekend. I can't remember what dad is. Yes I did. I actually did some steak and normally I reversed there my steak on the grill been happening, not problems, but not the greatest result because I have an offset smoker, so the temperature inside I wasn't staying at about four to five. It was just taking too long. So I actually brought it inside. I I put my cast iron skilly in the oven, and I took it out of the oven, put on top of the grill. I'm on top on top of the oven, on the on the eye en. That worked great, So I'm very happy with that result. I'm going to try that again, probably soon, to make sure it's the deal.
Speaker 1: People who are serious about their grilling need a cast iron skillet, don't they. That's a vital, vital.
Speaker 8: If you are a cook, you need a cast iron skiller. My grandmother had, like I can't remember how many.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, if you don't have a yes, If you don't have a cast iron skill, that I don't, I don't claim you. Well, I guess a Southern cook. I mean I don't know the other cooks, but in the South every cook cast iron skill at least two yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and there's there are ways to clean them and take care of them, right, you don't just them in a pot of water.
Speaker 8: Minis thirds about people messing up are perfectly seasoned cast iron skilly because and that's it doesn't look great, but that that's thirty years of work to get that thing to look like that. Yes, do not just throw that in in a dishwasher or leave doll that's that's that's a mil NOTLK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked before about how to blacken food, and you got to have a cast iron skillet. So there's a lot of info on the internet about that. A couple of minutes le of advance. So tell me what's on the menu for this weekend. I assume you're planning a big one.
Speaker 8: I'm supposed to do brisket and pool port because I have a high school game on Friday, so I'm gonna chill out on probably Saturday or Sunday morning and spend that fourteen hours watching TV and making sure those two meats turn out well. And what are you cooking again, brisket and pull port? I have a Yeah, I have a big offset smoker. So once I do one, I just do two at a time, or three at a time. I just vacuum steal the rest of it and put in a freezom I hear more and.
Speaker 1: More people cooking brisket. Is that just become a thing or has that always been big?
Speaker 8: You go, so, sure, yeah, it's been big with me. Now I'm not sure why people are cooking more brisket. That's a good one because it takes forever to actually, if you're grilling it, forever to cook it. So I'm glad. It's a hard meat to perfect just because of the toughness of it, and it takes some time to get because sometimes it's more of a feel like you have your temperature controls, or sometimes those temperature controls are not one hundred percent acurate. You have to touch and fell it. So sometimes it can frustrate you because you might have undercooked it or overcooked it because there is a sweet spot. So you have to get comfortable and maybe pushing the envelope a little bit or maybe that I think it's okay, let's let it rest and build it that way. It's tough.
Speaker 1: Now, one of these days, when you have time, you need to just put together a regular grilling feature on social media. Now that you've got the following that you have from football, I know I'm creating more work for you, but why hide your lamp? Under a bushel basket. You know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not sure how you even do that. Somebody would have to give me the idea of how I would do that on social media with the two minutes and twenty seconds that they forced you to maybe YouTube.
Speaker 1: You got plenty of time on YouTube.
Speaker 8: I guess. Yeah, we'll talk.
Speaker 2: We'll talk, okay.
Speaker 1: Vanhius, former Kentucky d back who breaks down UK football on social media. Follow him on Twitter x at V Style seventeen. Thank you, sir. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 8: You know, anytime you need me I'll be here.
Speaker 1: I told you we would learn football from Van. We always do up next hour number two, Lee K. Howard from WKYT and my buddy Reggie Anderson from a TV station down in Columbia. We'll fill us in on those game cocks. That's all ed here on the Big Blue Sider six thirty WOAP. Welcome back joining us on our celebrity hotline as a longtime friend and colleague and a member of the media who covers UK sports, and that is Lee K. Howard and I saw Leek at practice yesterday and it wasn't It was kind of weird, was it? And not having a complete game to refer to, you know, and we talked to Brad White and the defensive players. I found it weird.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit weird, you know. And we're used to now seeing Kentucky play SEC competition early in the year, but we've never seen him play SEC competition after less than three quarters of football, so this is kind of a unique situation, you know. That game was I'm glad that they were able to get in some of the game, and I think we were able to see a good amount of what Kentucky can be and what at least the first string looks like. I think the thing we really missed out on, or the team really missed out on, is getting some of those second string guys more reps. And I think that's one of the goals when you play a team like Southern miss is trying to get some more guys in because I really think that we're about a series away from seeing what Gavin wims That could do getting in there, maybe even some more Jason Patterson at running back right now, because you know, they're kind of a committee running back group right now with Demi and Jason and Jamrian while they wait on Chip train them to get back. So that's the one thing that I think was left to be desired after that game, was getting some of those second string guys more reps, because as you know, you jump into SEC competition right away, you're going to need to be more than one unit deep. So I think that's the one thing I kind of took away from.
Speaker 1: That before we start getting into the issues of the running game and how to stop a dual threat quarterback. This South Carolina series, I believe, is becoming a rivalry. They're not just rivalries because they're on the schedule, but it's because of obviously what has happened through the years, and this one has gone back and forth, which good rivalries do. It's not geographical, but it's such an important game for both teams, and both teams have had success at the expense of others, and there's a little bit of juice to this one. We're the coaches and all that. Do you see it that way?
Speaker 2: I do? You know? Of course, when the head ball coach was Roman Pipeline there at South Carolina and famously say Weil Kentucky's got a good punter. But there was a time that South Carolina dominated the rivalry from two thousand to two thousand and nine, South Carolina won ten in a row, and then Kentucky won that twenty ten game, and then I believe South Carolina won the next two or three. So yeah, there was a time when South Carolina really had the upper hand. But then when Stoops came in. I still remember that that game where Bud Dupree at the interception runs it back for a touchdown and it was almost felt like a change of the guard. And since twenty thirteen, Kentucky has won seven of ten against Carolina. But then you know, if you know it's like stats, any any way you look at it, you can twist them. He's also lost the last two against South Carolina. But you're right, this is these are two programs in a way, and I don't mean this as a slight to either, but these are two programs in a way that are kind of fighting for the same position right in the SEC hierarchy. Right, So both programs come in thinking that they should beat the other one every year, and in many ways, whichever team wins this game does set itself up for some ability to have a really good season, and the loser of the game walks away going that's one we should have had, That's one we could have had and could have set up a season. So yeah, that is a really big game as far as you know, just the projection of how you're going to look for.
Speaker 1: The rest of the year for so long as you know. This was a divisional game, so vital if you want to move up in the SEC East, which Kentucky did at times at the expense of SC and vice versa. But now they've done away with the divisions. I was staunchly opposed to that, and I know everybody wanted to see more of a balance schedule, but it bugs me that the program I cover now is an even longer shot to get to Atlanta for the SEC Championship game, better chance of getting to the playoffs. But I just so enjoyed covering that event for SEC Radio for the longest time, and it's so hard to do, and I just wonder if Kentucky's ever going to get that. But it's now I think Lee k a bigger game and that if you want to get to the playoff, much less Atlanta, you cannot lose this game, you know what.
Speaker 2: I mean, right, Yeah, I mean you would almost have to run the table and pull up some big upsets like over Georgia. Yeah, and you know Texas and some of those. So you're right, and it's hard to see Kentucky or it's not just Kentucky, it's most schools in the SEC that aren't named Georgia and Alabama and possibly a Tennessee or some to get to the SEC championship game. I mean that's that now becomes a lot tougher than making the playoff, right, So I guess it's it's a little bit of give and take. You now, with the twelve team probably soon to be sixteen team playoff, have a legit shot to play for the postseason. And I do like that part about it, Like you don't lose one game and suddenly every guy on the roster doesn't think that there's much to play for. Right, But you're right, you know not a conference championship in a league like the SEC becomes a lot more elusive when you're taking literally the top two teams.
Speaker 9: You're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Talking to Lee K. Howard of WKYT, he covers UK football among many other things. Well, you brought up the run game. We know that Southern miss is a have not at least it looks like that right now. South Carolina we're gonna find out. We're all going to find out together. But mediocre effort against Old Dominion. Well I shouldn't say effort. I don't know what their effort was like, but result was mediocre. But they did get a win against Old Dominion. But they've got a power run game, don't they. This is going to be interesting to see SE's offense versus that Kentucky d line.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think so too, you know, And I asked Brad White yesterday about the running game for USC, just because they were very run heavy against Old Dominion and they, you know, Rocket Sanders is transferred in there. Sellers the quarterback can run the ball, and traditionally we've seen Kentucky and most teams really in the country struggle when when you've got a running quarterback of quarterbacks that can get out of the pocket and pick up yards, and so, you know, I thought it was interesting. Brad White at least said he expects a balanced attack. But you know, I do think that that is something to watch, how effective South Carolina can be on offense running the ball, because we know both teams are good on defense, right. I think that's the strength of both of these teams, especially the front seven. And so you know, what can Kentucky's defense do to limit South Carolina? Because if South Carolina proves to not be a very good offensive team, then I think Kentucky walks away with a you know, ten plus point win, easy if they if they come out and play like they did against the Old Dominion, I think Kentucky walks off with an easy win. If that that run game though or Sellers gives Kentucky's defense any trouble, then I think we're in for a tight game.
Speaker 1: Well, I got a dual threat quarterback. And we have seen through the years, and you've worked this market for quite a while, you've seen dual threat qbs come in and really be fuddle the Wildcats, haven't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they and they have now. Also, You've got to keep in mind that Kentucky's defense from you know, front to back is as solid as it's been for a while. You know, they may not have a Josh Allen or you know, the the elite NFL prospect on that roster. I mean, they've obviously have Deon, but they are so balanced defensively from the line, the linebackers to the defensive backs. I think that a running quarterback in theory wouldn't give these guys as much trouble. But like I said, it's not just Kentucky any and Brad White said this yesterday. Any team that can run their quarterback, they just create another gap, right, so they they make it a lot tougher for a defense. And you know, now instead of the defensive lineman filling one gap, he's looking to fill a gap and a half in order to limit the ability for the quarterback to run. So it just brings in a whole other element. And we were kind of seeing the same thing on Kentucky's offense, right. So Bush Hampden has proven, at least in one game or three quarters of the game, that he's not afraid to let his quarterback run. And like I said, if we would have got to see Gavin Wimsatt in there, I think that's certainly part of the game plan when Gavin's in there, to let him run. You know, we saw the last couple of years when Will Levis. We knew he could run the ball, but his second year he was very limited. So I think that having the ability to have a quarterback move the pocket and pick up some yards if he needs to is a huge deal.
Speaker 1: Lee K. Howard, my guest from WKYT, will come back with more football chatter in just a minute here on the Big Blue and Siders six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with Lee K. Howard of WKYT reporter anchors. Worked in election for quite some time from New Mexico. But what the college in Texas? And you and I have talked about football in the state of Texas. Of course Texas now in the Southeastern Conference. That's going to take some getting used to. But I bring up the Longhorns, lee K, because we were talking about SEC football in the previous segment and now we need and we would have done this anyway. It's a great game. Need to keep an eye on the first big game scheduled on Saturday, and that's the Longhorns at Michigan and Texas. Lee K is a seven and a half point favorite right now. I mean Michigan, the defending national champ, which admittedly lost a lot to the NFL, specifically a quarterback, but a touchdown more than a touchdown underdog at the Big House. What do you make of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say going into the Big House as a favorite on the road is quite impressive. But I think that speaks just as much to what Michigan lost as much as what Texas is bringing in. I mean, Texas is a really good team. Obviously, they wouldn't be ranked in the top ten, you know, as a fluke if they weren't. They've got a lot of talent. But when you've got Michigan losing not only a bunch of players, they lest their coach also, right, So it's a different it's a different team. So it's almost hard to look at them as the defending national champion at least coming onto the field. But you know, I will say it was weird. You know, I had to catch a little bit of the Texas and a little bit of the Oklahoma game, and it's weird seeing the SEC logos and you know, the promos for the SEC running before the Texas game, because like you said, I grew up, you know, watching Texas in the Big twelve right in Oklahoma, and so it's going to take them getting used to. But I think overall, when you had a program or two programs really like those two programs to the SEC. It just makes it that much better. And really, the SEC looked pretty good over the first weekend. There's some really log sided wins, and it's really hard to tell after the first week when hardly anybody plays it. I mean, there were a couple of really good games, but most guys, most teams rather are just playing, you know, to get their their feet underneath them, right, So I thought it was a good first week for most of the SEC.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well Texas destroyed Colorado State, Michigan beat Fresno State thirty to ten. But you know, obviously didn't look like a steamroller. But as you said, it's it's basically a new team. But you know, Texas has the Marquee players at quarterback and not just Quinn were viewers but Archie Manning as Jenny as well, so that you know the nation will keep an eye on that. But boy, I had something off the wire yesterday about how except for the Longhorns, the state of Texas had a miserable day in college football this past week at A and M, losing the one double A teams losing the NAI teams. H it was really bizarre. But yeah, just talking about the Longhorns in the SEC is we're another great game Arkansas will find out more about the Hogs not on Kentucky's roster or schedule rather, but playing at Oklahoma State. That's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: That is gonna be good. Yeah, Like I said, there's a lot of good matchups. I guess I don't know if I'm if I'm weird in this way. I'm more interested to see, like, what what is Florida do? What is what does Florida come out? And can they can they have Hilly Napier's job? Right? I I keep wondering when is that train going to come off the tracks completely? But there are some good matchups coming up this week.
Speaker 1: And I just mentioned the fact that, uh, Florida's backup QB's got to start because a concussion protocol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who knows, I mean, maybe they're just looking for a spark at this point. You've seen teams do that before, where they're gonna set a guy without saying they're sitting him. And I don't know the Like I said, the train's about to come off the track there at Florida, And I wouldn't be surprised if by the time Kentucky placed Florida in a couple of weeks. If they have a change, you know, depending on depending on what they're what they're doing this next couple of weeks. But yeah, that's going to be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you always wonder about mid season changes or late season changes. But it's it's a message to recruits, isn't it. Hey, we know we got a problem. We're fixing it. It'll be all, it'll be great, it'll be fine by the time you get here. But the recruits is say, well, who the hell am I planned for? You know, who's going to my head coach going to be And they can't answer that question. A few minutes left with Lee K. Howard of w K Watt, you got to throw in as we speak, we don't yet know about Jasper Johnson. We believe it's going to be Kentucky, but we're recording this earlier in the day. But just your take on how things have gone for Mark Pope and the expectations of the Big Blue Nation for a Kentucky team that it has not shown up leek and many, if any early preseason top twenty five that might be a blessing.
Speaker 2: You know it really may be, because I think that that was kind of a curse to the Caliperi regime the last couple of years when they would come in ranked top ten, I think the lowest they were ranked with top six, number sixteen once and they thought that was a slight yeah, and then underperformed at the end of the year. So, you know, I think a lot of people national people that do these sort of you know, projections and things like that, might be sleeping on Kentucky, but I think some of them are more just cautiously going, Okay, we know that that roster that Mark Pope has put together has a lot of talent, It's got a lot of a lot of experience. I think Mark's story of the Harold Leader did a story a couple of months so ago about how many starts all of these players have together. It's the most starts of any team in Kentucky's history, which is kind of crazy to think of how old this team is. So we know there's talent, but we've yet to see any of them really play together against competition. So I think that's probably some of the reason why you're not getting some of the projections in the top twenty five that maybe that they will certainly get there and once they get on the court, but yeah, adding a guy like Jasper Johnson, if that I mean, I believe that that's the belief that most of the recruiting experts that follow this very closely think that Jasper will be Pope's second commit for the twenty twenty five class, so obviously won't make an impact this coming season. But you know, if you had Jasper along with Malachi Marino from Great Crossing, you suddenly have two, you know, top twenty guys in that twenty five class, both of them who happened to be from right here in central Kentucky. So that would be a huge start on the next year's class. But I really think that once this year's team gets on the court and finds their chemistry, I think they're going to exceed the expectations rather than underachieved. I think they overachieved and that could be a good thing for Kentucky ball.
Speaker 1: I fully agree. And the other thing is that I've had a lot of pep I'm sure you have too. A lot of people ask me. Most recently, one of our vets asked me, what do you think this team's going to do. And I think that people, the posters, maybe not the Big New Nation, might be sleeping on Mark Pope as a tactician and a technician when it comes to coaching basketball. He did postseason, notwithstanding, he did a really good job in his first two stops as a head coach just calling x's and o's, you know what I mean, and obviously didn't have the talent level he's got now.
Speaker 2: And I think that was one of the biggest gripes for the last couple of years of the Calipari era, was the x's and o's right, right, And I think exactly right that Hope has the coaching acumen to really put his players in a position to be successful both offensively and defensively. And so I've really never questioned that, and I don't know why people would, because he has shown that he can take a roster that maybe not as good as the one that he's put together here at Kentucky and be successful with them, not in the postseason, but during the year. So I don't question that whatsoever that these guys are going to be in a position to win every game. And so I think that will be a nice change for for Kentucky fans to watch. They weren't. They're not going to feel like they're getting out coached against the lower level team. An Oakland team who comes in and figures out a way to find some space in the Kentucky defense in Kentucky has no answer, right. So I think that you combine Pope and his staff and their coaching ability with the rock that he's put together, and you know, maybe I'm foolish to think that they're a team that makes it easy run to the Elite eight, but I think that they have the ability to do that.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't it be interesting if Kentucky made a Cinderella type run. Although by tournament time, if Kentucky's good enough to make a run, they're not going to be you know, bury it in a poll. They're going to be top ten. But it's gonna be fun. Lee K. Howard will be there to cover for WKYT. Thank you, brother, We'll see you at the ballgame.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Dick down in Columbia, Reggie Anderson waiting to talk to us. He's covered the game Cocks for about thirty years. That's next in the Big Blue Insider here on six thirty w Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider, joining us now as a guy I've known for a long time on the SEC beat, Reggie Anderson's sports director wlt XTV down in Colombia and Reggie once again Kentucky South Carolina. First of all, good talking to you again.
Speaker 9: I'll get to hear from you, Jick.
Speaker 1: I was talking to one of my colleagues's former colleagues from a WKYT the fact that I really like that Kentucky South Carolina football has become a true rivalry because this game means so much to both teams every year. Is not traditional, not geographical, but it means so much when it comes to looking ahead the postseason and things like that.
Speaker 9: That's really kind of the way it's been, especially with South Cona' schedule and being so screwy this year, No Georgia, no Tennessee.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was.
Speaker 9: I was thinking about this a little while ago. I think of all the SEC teams on the schedule, Old Miss will be, you know, on the schedule, and obviously the lean given factor, and there's a former Gamecock receiver Juice Wells and transferred Old Miss that'll have some heat. But yeah, I think Kentucky and South John of this year, if you look at the SEC schedule, that's the Gamecop's biggest rival, and that may be the case going forward because the programs are so have have for the most part, not every year, but for the most part, have been close in terms of where they are in the SEC pecking order.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit of about that opener with Old Dominion, where we're fans down there upset about it, confused about it, because I think we all kind of expected more.
Speaker 9: I think the reaction for most fans is, don't let that happen again. And you would take you know, Leonoris Sellers, the freshman quarterback making his first true start, and really he and even though they're on different planes with him and Brock Vandergriff, you know this week it will be the first time they get their first SEC start in a I mean, I'm sure Brock's played its best games before, but they'll both be making I would think I would I haven't looked up at Brock's career statfs, but I would think this game they would be making their first career start in an SEC game. That'll be different for both guys. And even though you know Leonori's was a four star. People are very high on him. I think he's got got great upside. Rock of course, uh, coming in very heralded in Georgia looking for a you know, a new scenery and and and better better chance at Kentucky. So that'll be very interesting to see which quarterback is able to will their team to to that first SEC win. And again, I know it's early, but again want to know in the SEC a young team for South Carolina freshman played very well the other night, Govii Stewart at the five star defensive end. He came out and really impressed people. So I think if you believe the old adage that you make great progress from week win a week two, especially true for a freshman, especially a freshman quarterback who admitted that he was a little a little wiar the other night, a little a little bit more seat up. So he's going to try to try to slow things down.
Speaker 1: A little bit. Well, I know he's dangerous, and I know the Kentucky players have all talked about his arm strength, so apparently that was on display against Odu, right it was.
Speaker 9: And then of course, I mean, of course we always know he knows he can run and he's a big boy and he gets he gets rolling along and he's tough to stop. But really, over the summer, he worked with a private quarterback coach who I've known for years, of a former local quarterback at one of the divisions colleges in here who's running a very successful quarterback academy, if you will, private instruction, and his passing is really he is so farther far along this year because all the intensive work he's done in the offseason on top of the normal workouts that the players go through. So he's Leonoris has really gone the extra mile to make sure he's ready to leave this team, not just with his legs, but obviously with his arm.
Speaker 1: Tell me about his recruiting. You mentioned how highly regarded he was. I got to think they rejoiced in Columbia when they got him. There. May I'm sure some nil funding involved as well, but that's the case everywhere. But this guy could be a program turner right well.
Speaker 9: Back in December of his senior year, after he leaves his high school teams of a state championship, he was playing in the anal Shrine Bowl North Carolina versus South Cond's best players and he was committed to Syracuse at the time, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 9: He was actually hitded up there. He was hit up, but he kind of you know, the momentum started building for South Carolina and then it got to the point where the week of that All Star Game, it was like, well, right now both teams are even. Okay, if both teams were even and the hometown team is the one who's made up the most ground. You know, we had had a free good feeling that he was going to commit and eventually signed with South Carolina and that was the case. So but everybody I've talked to says, this guy has got a chance to be one of the again everybody, and I hate using this term, I hate I really do, but everybody says he has the chance to be one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of Game Cocked football. I've heard that from several people, and I'm being the cynic that I am. I said, well, he's gonna have to prove it. But that's that's the uh, that's the ceiling.
Speaker 1: If you will, Who is the best quarterback in game Cocks history?
Speaker 9: Well, a couple of guys, but I would think you got to go with Connor Shaw, who went undefeated at home at Williams Brice Stadium. And yes, so I would think you got to had to go with Connor. But then again, you know, even though the sample size isn't a very big, Spencer Ratler back in twenty twenty two led the Gamecocks to the big win over Tennessee where they just routed the volunteers. Yeah, I think Tennessee came in right fifth in the country, and then the following the you know, that led to the win over Clemson, which was big. So in terms of just I would think people would look at Connor and Spencer Ratlers as the two best quarterbacks in Gainecock history.
Speaker 1: So it's more about, obviously results than stats and things like that because Kentucky it's easy was couch and all those stats. But yeah, I mean, there's a hill to climb, but Sellers apparently has the ability to do that, and behind him he can hand it off to Raheem Sanders. That's another guy who got a lot of attention and the discussion with Kentucky's defenders, a power running back who had a pretty good game, didn't.
Speaker 9: He It wasn't bad. I mean, again, the offense was kind of I think people were obviously affecting more and they should have. But yeah, Rocket's the guy who's given that that running game some some power, and of course he had that that great so I think it was two years ago. He had a great season at Arkansas, battles of injuries and really the game stocks were really lucky that I can't land him out of the out of the transfer portal. So if if sellers in the passing games can get going, that was certainly loosen things up for that running game and vice versa.
Speaker 1: What do you know about Kentucky? What are you hearing?
Speaker 9: Well, I was looking at I was neat. It was neat to see that, uh our old fowler, Eric Willford back as the offensive line take and he is an out He really is an outstanding like uh O line coach and a great guy too. So uh he'll, uh he'll, he'll. I'm sure he'll have his guys ready for uh for that front six or that game talk defense, which really is the uh is the strength of of of that defense of that front six. He's got a lot of bodies. They've had more depth in the defensive line than I think in Beamer's four years, so that'll be interesting. We've got some rangy guys in the secondary. But I'm looking forward to seeing how how the Kentucky office line battles the D line of South Carolina.
Speaker 2: And it's see how.
Speaker 9: Wolford he still has the same same nasty players he's always had, whether he was at South Carolina. I know he was an Alabama, but his player is mirror his personality. And uh, I'm kind of looking forward to that. I mean, I know we're we're all local guys. We'd like to hear our local teams do well. But you know you can certainly from afar admired and respect from like you who he was only here for a year. Yeah, but I was really impressed with with Wolford's time here at South Carolina. And I'm always it's always good to when you when you look down at the schedule and you see some friendly, familiar names on the on the opposing roster.
Speaker 1: Well, he was only here for a year before he left abruptly ticking off Mark Stoops and everybody in the Big Moon Nation and went to Alabama. Uh. But then of course when Saban made his decision, uh, Stoops kind of swallowed his pride and knew that this guy is an excellent coach and hired him back. So we'll see how that works. And by the way, speaking of that front for South Carolina, we've all heard about it up here. They're gonna have their hands full with a quarterback who can run the football, Brock Vandergriff. You mentioned him getting his first SEC start. He ran the ball Reggie Moore against Southern Miss, And really we thought we knew Bush Hampdon, the new OC likes the quarterback run game, but man Vandergriff kind of channeling his inner Will Levis by not just running for first down but putting his head down and running behind his shoulder pad, which is risky.
Speaker 9: Well, and again, you wouldn't you, you know, you wouldn't think that you knew he was gonna run a little bit. But I think people may be a little bit surprised at how much he did run the ball.
Speaker 2: And again that's a.
Speaker 9: That's another speaker of this day and age, where you know, if a quarterback he gets seven eight yards on a run and all of a sudden you looking at the second and or third and short, and that really just kind of kind of free freeze things up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, he was listed as a recruit as a dual threat quarterback, but in his introductory news conference he said he did didn't want to be known as a running quarterback, and he certainly threw some great balls. So this is going to be fun. Reggie Anderson is my guest. He is the longtime sports director at w lt XTV down at Columbia. We'll talk more about the game Cocks on the other side of the break here on sixth we come back. We're talking with Reggie Anderson. He is a sports director w lt XTV down in Columbia. You're in your fourth decade now, just getting say you you were You've been there since ninety three, is that right?
Speaker 9: I started in ninety three. I was actually in grad school at South Carolina, Wow, and got my master's in mass Muka. I am smarter than I look.
Speaker 8: And then.
Speaker 9: Then this job came open, and it was it was basically a videographer, yeah, and a part time achor. And then twenty ten, I mean they I kind of hangu I'm hanging around and all of a sudden kind of worked out to where I was naming full time sports director after being the weekender for so long and been there ever since. In that so, but I still getting out. I still enjoy getting out and in filming games, shooting games high school. And I love NASCAR, go to the Masters, go to the Masters every year. So that's one of the fun aspects of the job. Able to get out from behind the desk and go cover big time sporting events. And I notice a sacrilege around here, but give me NASCAR and the Masters over college football. Believe it or not. Wow, But those are my Those are my two favorite sports to cover because I grew up in Darlington, so I grew up a NASCAR fan, but state currently around around these parts. When I'm when I'm leading when I have a show on Saturday Night. As hard as it is for me not to lead with Nascar, I do lead with college football.
Speaker 2: So I do. I do.
Speaker 9: I do, put my own personal biases aside and and lead with with college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can't go wrong down there with coverage in NASCAR, and I've I've covered NASCAR events, Uh, but I have never been able to scratch that itch when it comes to the Masters.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But ky t, we could never get media credential, as you know, so hard or if you haven't been doing it for a long time, and uh so, I don't know if I'll ever get to do that. So I tip my cap there. But we are talking about Kentucky South Carolina football, and the Wildcats are I think a ten point favorite. I don't see. I think it's gonna be a close one, don't you.
Speaker 9: I'm thinking not only I think it's probably gonna be close, but I'm looking at kind of like a I don't know, twenty four to twenty twenty seven, twenty that's kind of how it feels. I don't think it's'll be a and I could be totally wrong, but I feel like it's not gonna be one of those high scoring affairs were new. In fact, I I would expect both defenses to have their way. It's just a matter of who can maybe get that last scoring drive kind of get some separation. But I don't think it's gonna be a shootout them again. I think it's that that that twenty point range, maybe the first one of twenty seven might win.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think South Carolina football is fascinating because for years I've always believed that it's a sleeping giant. There. There's fan interest. It's a great part of the country for talent. Kentucky has pulled some some really talented kids out of that state, especially when Joker Phillips was the recruiting coordinator. And of course Sellers is local, as you said, from Florence, South Carolina. Uh, you've had some great coaches down there. One coach tragically died way too young. But Holtz was down there. He was didn't he win like three straight seasons eleven wins or something like that.
Speaker 2: That was Spurrier.
Speaker 9: He did that, Okay, that lou His first year he went four oh yeah, I know, oh for eleven and then the next years who went to head back to back out back Bowl champions.
Speaker 2: Or out back Bowl victories.
Speaker 9: Yeah, won eight games. Perhaps when Spurrier took over, he kind of took him a couple of years to really get it going right. But yeah, when you had guys like Jadeveon Clowney and Connor Shaw as part of that as well. Yeah, uh he had he had three straight uh double digit seasons of wins and one year they finished fourth in the final AP Top twenty five. So that's been the that's been the gold standard for Gamecock football and of course, Burrier left is the all time winning his coach there, as he did at Florida, so he certainly made his mark. He didn't win, he didn't win an SEC championship, but he did have one FEC Eastern Division title, and that's been their only their only, their only EA Eastern Division titles so far.
Speaker 1: When I worked the SEC championship game for SEC Radio, I produced the radio network for fifteen straight years in South Carolina, was there and the Gamecock fans took over in Atlanta and had a wonderful time. I remember that. And here's the other thing I remember Reggie about that over team with Lou Holtz. People don't realize that team was ranked overall fifteenth in the country in defense. It just couldn't score, You remember that.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 9: In fact, that one of the one of the quarterbacks I knew very well was about I mean, was he had no business playing D one football. But that's all they had. I mean, seriously, I mean it was just I mean they yeah, they couldn't do anything offensively, he inherited, Oh my gosh. Yeah, but they only won one They only won one game the year before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's why that's why Holts was there. Uh. So now they've got a coach who's colorful, he's got a great pedigree, he's beaten Kentucky a couple of times. What do you think of Beemer?
Speaker 9: He's great with us and he's he's a former assistant under Spurrier, so he gets the culture. Uh and this and for him, this is his his destination job. He has no interest in uh in going anywhere else. Although it's it's a situation now where he didn't didn't go to a bowl game last year, tough scheduled this year. If he doesn't go, if they have another situation where they're not playing in December, there's gonna be some grumbling and and then you know, ultimately it comes down obviously know that the coaches get paid for for that, for that win loss record. That's how they're they're they're they're judge. So but he's got a good plan. He's a relentless recruiter. I mean, he loves recruiting and he's he's somebody who from a from a fan standpoint, very engaging with the fans. So, uh, he's got everything in place. The facilities have never been have been better they've really invested this over the few years, which you know, in this day and age, you know, in this arms race of facilities, if you don't have that going for you, it's just tough. He knows how to work the NIL thing. So, Uh, everything's in place, you know, but again every week is is a challenge and it's just it's brutal.
Speaker 2: I mean it is.
Speaker 9: It is a brutal schedule.
Speaker 1: What's the NIL situation like down there in Columbia, Well.
Speaker 9: It's a situation. Well again I mentioned Juice Wells going to old Myths. I think that was an an IL thing. Uh, they've lost some players in the Nile. They're they're trying to get what they can done, but I don't I think there's other schools that have more resources in that regard right now. So I think they're they're kind of playing from behind right now, but they're they're trying to work that that game, and they've they've done pretty well in terms of landing some recruits and and uh and and give them what they can from an NIL standpoint, but it's a it's it's it's crazy the way we are now in twenty twenty four, where I mean ten years ago, who'd have thought that, you know, we are where we are, and I think we play We know that football drives the engine of all universities for the most part, and and I'm certainly all for for you know, players getting a little sumpthing. But I think it's just it's almost like a lot while weft now. I mean, it's just like there's no rules and it's just you know, I mean, you know, if you're out in Texas, you got those deep pockets in Texas or Arkansas. Yep, uh, it's it's it's it's madness.
Speaker 2: It really is madness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no guardrails, and I know they're working on them, but who knows. A couple of minutes left with Reggie Anderson down in Columbia, South Carolina real quickly, La Motte Paris made quite a splash at South Carolina coaching basketball. Are people excite now about hoops down there? Because it takes a lot to get people fired up, especially at a place where football has been more more important than basketball.
Speaker 9: And only that, but you've got the women's basketball team, Oh yeah, U team league well routinely, I mean the Colonial Life Arenas in eighteen thousand, seed Arena and it's not unusual for that for their games to draw thirteen fourteen thousand people. So it really is the women's basketball program and the men is very similar to how it was when Patsumad had Tennessee rolling in her heyday, where the women would totally outdraw the men's teams for the most part. But in terms of in terms of coach Paris, this is a guy who's trying to, i think, build a program reminiscent of the Wisconsin days when he was an assistant under under Bo Ryan's. You know, they played physical defense and try to be very efficient on offense. And yeah, this year they've you know, I think last year kind of caught a lot of people off guard and what they were able to do, but made the NCAA tournament and it's second year, so now it's you know, he's got most of the players back. They bought some people. They Michi Johnson transfer.
Speaker 2: To the Ohio State.
Speaker 9: But they've they've got They had a five star guard who originally signed with Texas, local kid Cam Scott. He opted out of that uh letter of in Kent with Texas and now he's a he's with a game talk program now, so it's gonna be it's gonna be interesting, to say the least.
Speaker 1: Reggie Anderson sports director for quite a while and has been at wlt X down in Columbia for more than thirty years. Great talking to you again. Hope to see you soon.
Speaker 9: All right, Jack, thanks for having me and we'll see down the road.
Speaker 1: And I'll do it for now, thanks to my guest, to Reggie Anderson, to Lee K. Howard, and to Van Hiles. And tomorrow night we'll have a one hour program. Then we will give way to Kentucky volleyball right here on six thirty WLAP a Wildcatcher taking on Penn State. That one's going to be streamed as well, but it's a pass through so it's not a full broadcast, but you'll still be able to see the match. We will have volleyball on SEC plus a full broadcast on Sunday, yours truly and Leah Edmund will have a call. So there's a lot of sports coming up this weekend. Of course Kentucky football on Saturday afternoon. Thanks for joining us. That's it. Good night from the garage in Lexingdon lunch lady thaughtus at any grease, Yes.
Speaker 8: Yes we do.
Speaker 2: Then Greece Me Up Woman, Okay, Joky and