Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, basketball fans, San Antonio Spurs fans, Welcome to another edition of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with your Boy, a fan of the Black and Silver of over forty years.
Speaker 2: A former stand up comedian, entertainer extraordinaire of over twenty and our host, our coach.
Speaker 3: Here he is Jay Dizzle, bringing you the sizzle mister movie phone with another tantalizing, exciting, energetic introduction.
Speaker 2: Thank you, guys for listening to another episode of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Wherever you may be listening to us, Apple iTunes, Spotify, iHeartRadio, spreaker dot Com, and more. Thank you guys for listening to the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with Your Boy KD. It's the off season and we thought we would have a little bit of fun here today on the show, Guys, we're gonna get to some of your outlandish tweets. We're gonna dig through the rumor mill, and there are a lot of hot and heavy rumors going on in the San Antonio Spurs camp today about possible trades, about possible moves signing of coaches. We'll talk a little bit about that. Get into your tweets and comments on X. I still can't get over the fact that they switched it to X. I'm gonna be honest with you, they're tweets. What are they called when they're on X exus? That just don't sound right to me. It don't sound right to me. But whatever your messages are, we're gonna talk about them in the Spurs community because you guys are some passionate, outgoing fans. But I'm gonna be honest with you. Some of y'all have some stupid takes. I'm calling it out. I know you just got hurt. You're one of these new kids in the world. You know, twenty years old, and anytime somebody tells it like it is, you get hurt. Well, Dollar Store has band aids. You can pick those up, Okay, and there's also duct tape because some of these things you're saying are absolutely crazy. All Right, we'll talk about that coming up here in the show. We're gonna have a little bit of fun talking about one of the greatest players of all time in the NBA that goes under the radar, and I got a chance to watch him as a kid. He was one of my favorite players of all times in the San Antonio Spurs, if not my favorite player, David Robinson. We're gonna talk a little bit about the Admiral David Robinson today. We also got some old clips from his mister Robinson neighborhood Nike commercials. The clips are so old though, you can tell that somebody up to them with a VHS tape when YouTube first opened. Yeah, so you're gonna have to bear with the sound quality a little bit today, but we're gonna drop a few of those ads on your mental today. But speaking of your mental, let's get right in to your comments on X.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the sound of Officer KD pulling you over for some of your outlandish comments.
Speaker 2: Some good takes, some horrible takes, but nonetheless they are takes, and we are gonna take to X right now, and we're gonna go to the biggest rumor in the rumor mill right now here in San Antonio. According to a very good reporter on X, his name is at Spurs reporter. Fantastic reporter, always brings great news. Just drop this. A little while ago, the rumors are heating up with at John Hollinger saying the Bucks could explore trading Jannis Akapatumbo after their first round exit. Now there have been rumors that Dame Lillard wants out. It looks like he may go to Orlando. The Spurs are one of four teams he thinks this is John Hollinger could make a serious offer and get ready centered around Spurs fans ready centered around Stefan Castle and multiple Lotto picks. And this is not Spurs reporter saying this, This is at John Hollinger. Let's let's go look up. Let's let's troll John Hollinger. Right now, John Hollinger is a senior NBA columnist ex Grizzlies VP. Okay, that says enough right there, But let's follow him anyway. Let's keep an eye on John Hollinger. But John Hollinger thinks that Jannis Akapatumbo is one of the front runners to come to San Antonio. But as Scooby Doo would say, to give up Steph Cassel, what I'm not too sure about this. Let's take a look at this from a couple different angles. Would Janis get us into the playoffs? Sure? But where's our bench? Are we able to keep some of our core players? I've seen recent rumors where it would be Keldon Johnson, Visell and Picks. What do you think about that, Spurs? Keldon Johnson is the heart of this bench. Now that would move so hand to the bench. That is an interesting move. That could be a possibility. If I had to put that on a you know, a rating system of one to ten, I'd say eight. I'd go for if it was given up kJ and giving up Vissel. But ah, I mean here's where I played Devil's advocate a little bit with this. All right, I look at this now from a business standpoint and a future standpoint for the San Antonio Spurs. If they were to land somebody like Giannis, Okay, that's a big contract. We still got to sign Deer and Fox to a big contract. By the way, Spurs fans, we bring this up every week, don't we. High Wemby is going into his third year, he has one more year on his rookie contract. Those are three big contracts. The Spurs are never been a team to hold huge contracts. I don't think this works for San Antonio. Yes, the rumors are fun, Yes the rumors are great, But to give up Steph Castle a future all star. He is on the precipice of doing just that. And I'll tell you why. I know the West is heavy with guards, but he's set up for the future. Here fifteen points a game, almost four says four rebounds, He hits those couple free throws, hits a couple three pointers, gets his three point percentage up. This dude is averaging over twenty. We talked about this on the last episode. Go back and check it out. If we can just keep that core together, Steph Fox, Wemby, the cell kJ sohand. Those are six guys that I would bet on our future. I would, but to get somebody like a Yanis here's Devil's advocate. It's tough, ain't it. Would you give Steph Castle up? He's gonna need a big contract in a couple of years. How many years would Yannis be here? Three? What happens after that lottery picks? We just gave up a few. One of the hottest rumors in the NBA right now, Jannis to San Antonio. Now this kind of reminds me of the Kevin Durant thing as well. I don't think the Spurs need an All Star. I don't think we need another All Star. We have two right now. Deer and Fox can make the All Star Game. Wemby will make the All Star Game. Castle on the verge, Spurs have always had one or two All Stars Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Tim Duncan, David Robinson always had one or two All Stars. We made that work. Stick to the program, right, Continuing to flip through X here on Twitter, I like to call through the Spans, the Spans. That's what you're called, the Spans, all right, they're Spurs fans, Spans, all right. We don't edit anything on this show. I don't go back and cut this out. I'm human, all right, all right. But taking a look at some of the other rumor wills here on X, Josh paradis at Josh eight one to Zho says the following Spurs fans will likely have a poor reaction to this, But let's remember how chaotic last season was. Give him a fair shot, and if he's not working out, we all know coaches are the first to go well, there's breaking news here in San Antonio, and there's breaking news to ESPN's Sham. We know who he is. If you're in the basketball community. Breaking news the San Antonio Spurs are hiring assistant Mitch Johnson as the franchise next head coach, sources TELEESPN. Johnson has been an assistant in the Spurs program for a decade. A decade. Keep that in mind under who Popovich took over his interim coach in November and now earns the job. It is Popovich's successor. Spurs fans, what do we think about this rumor, especially on X. It's not a rumor, It's happened. Let's make it a reality. We made this a rumor at the beginning of the year. We made this a rumor when pop went out last year, we said this would happen. It's reminiscent of what happened with Avery Johnson in Dallas. Don Nelson had health issues, don Nelson went away. Incomes Avery Johnson. Then it was Avery's job. I think this is a great way for Popovich to go out. It's not a firing, it's not a retirement party. And Popovich will always have his hands in the Spurs organization. He will. He's like the Wizard of Oz. Pay no attention to Popovitch behind the curtain. It's exactly what's going to happen. He's doing it all year long. He was the puppet master. Mitch Johnson is a smart coach. He's a young coach. The players like him, the players respond well to him. Where there's some interesting moves as a coach last year as far as rotations, absolutely, but you couldn't do any better. I couldn't do any better. He had to make shift lineups at times. We did not have a healthy roster and a great take from at Josh eight pine ohero on X. First thing he said was, let's remember how chaotic last season was. It's tough to lose the legendary coach, tough to lose your franchise player, tough to see some of the pieces not always fully healthy. So hand was out some games, Vasell was out some games. Remember who led the team in games the old Men and the crew, Barnes and Paul eighty two games, Julian Champagny all eighty two games. We had a lot of makeshift lineups from time to time. Health will be the key concern in the offseason for the San Antonio Spurs most definitely kind of digging through some of these REPLA flies on X about Mitch Johnson being the next coach of the San Antonio Spurs. A lot of you guys are ridiculous at Spurs underscore muse and I know you guys do it for clickbait. That's what you do, because you caught us on that as well. And a lot of you guys don't understand, like we just said, the health of this team. Didn't have a healthy team all year, we still won more games than we did the year before with an interim coach, with half a season of a generational player. I don't know how anybody wouldn't give Mitch Johnson a chance. The Spurs are going to do just that. They've been a loyal organization to their players and their fans and their coaches for how long this man Mitch Johnson as an interim coach for over ten years? Under who wants just to answer that question real quick? Under who Greg Popovich? Who else is actually was a coach? Underneath Popovich? Becky Hammond, Steve Kerr. The list goes on and on to the break of dawn. Guess what, They're champions. What makes you think that Mitch couldn't do the same job with the right pieces put in place. Absolutely ridiculous. Twitter is turning into like the I'm gonna be honest with you, it's worse than Facebook at times. It really is. It is literally the bathroom stall of the Internet. Mike was here, Mike's a jerk. Hey, Sarah's great at you know, relationship giving. That's what we'll say, is a family show. Sarah's phone number is blah blah blah blah blah blah. That is exactly what Twitter and Facebook are, bathroom stalls of the Internet. But it's fun going through some of these rumor mills. A lot of you guys, a lot of you Spurs fans, are upset right out about the Mitch Johnson thing. Some of you guys really want Giannis here, which is a riot because that doesn't mean you're a fan. You're not a fan because you're not looking looking at things in the long run. And we're really missing something here with the Mitch Johnson We're missing the fact we're saying goodbye to a legend and Greg Popovich. Greg Popovich, it's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. It's hard to move on. Greg Popovich is on the Mount Rushmore of coaching. You'd probably say, who do you got Katie Well my top five Red Aurbach, Phil Jackson, I'd have to put Popovich up there most absolutely, and the other two can go all over the place. Pat Riley was a hell of a coach. That leaves an opening for four. Maybe somebody here in the new generation, like a Steve Kerr. I think if Steve Kerr can win a couple more titles, he's definitely on that list. But it's hard to surpass somebody like a Red Arbag. It's really hard to pass. I know Apple's to oranges with today's game in yesterday's game, but we're not going to see another team win close to ten straight championships or ten championships in twelve years. You're not going to see that ever again. Why because players want to move too much. Look at Kevin Durant. I love Kevin Durant, but he gets passed around more than your high school cheerleaders. Sorry, high school cheerleaders out there, We love you. Keep doing your job, but you know, sometimes y'all get a bad rep I'm just throwing that out there. Hey, we speak our mind on this show, right. But a lot of news here circulating in San Antonio, mostly about Giannis we talk about it every week. Who would you really want to see signed here, Spurs fans. I don't think that we need a big name player here. I believe the players we got we're gonna have to see kicking into overdrive. I think one more year for Vissell. He's on his last year of his four year contract. So ride that until the wheels fall off. One hundred and forty million dollar contract. If he doesn't produce, guess what, he'll probably be out. Guess what happens? That money goes to somebody like Wenby that needs to be re signed. Keldon Johnson, the heart of the bench, our strong arm guy with sohand and being a Spurs fan, maybe I'm being too much of a homer because I like these players. You know, I liked Zach Collins too. You can laugh at me on that one. I love Trey Jones. But sometimes we have to make decisions because it is a business. Speaking about business and all business, I just saw something on X as well. Somebody had put up what top two players would you take? Are you ready? What Spurs duo would you take? Spurs fans? Would it be CP three and the Admiral David Robinson? Would it be Manu Ginobili and Pau Gasol. Would it be Iceman, George Gervin and Wemby. That is a tantalizing team right there, very long. And how about Deeron Fox and LaMarcus Aldridge. Which duo are you taking? We want to thank Spurs Muse for that one. We're going to give that a like as well. Me personally, it took a minute. Took a minute to look at this. Let's analyze the teams, right, Manu and Paul would be good, but I think they're your fourth team. I think they would be fourth on this list. Number three on this list i'd have to say is Deeron Fox and LaMarcus Aldridge. I love d Fox, I liked LA, but there's it's just something about these next two duos in the top two, Gervin and Wemby. Wemby the generational player, Wemby being able to shoot from the outside and doing different things with the ball. Iceman was just so eloquent with the way he played. Then you have CP three in the Admiral, two of the smartest guys out of that group of eight. I'd have to say probably the top two. CP three can still shoot that ball. He can dribble that ball. I don't think Iceman would be able to handle him in the ball dribbling. I don't think Iceman would be able to handle his court vision. I know what you're thinking, Well, Wemby on Robinson would dominate? Would he would?
Speaker 3: He?
Speaker 2: David Robinson was a man when he came into this league. Remember that, Spurs fans. He is a man fresh out of the Navy, twenty four to twenty five years old. Could you imagine if he came in four years early, we probably wouldn't have the guy that he had. He was a brick s house man. He just was the muscle, definition, the size, the quickness. Robinson could shoot from the outside. The Robinson game against the Clippers to sew up the scoring title against Shack seventy one points. He knocked down a three. He was knocking down outside shots. He was doing it all. So no drum roll needed. I'm going with CP three in the Admiral. That's who I'm going with. But in a close race, in a close race with Iceman and Wemby. And speaking of which, before we get out of here today, I want to speak about the Admiral David Robinson right now. To me, one of the greatest Spurs of all time, if not the greatest Spur. We had some great ones in our franchise with Girvin, with Duncan Parker, Ginobli, But something about the aura of David Robinson, the fact that the Admiral changed San Antonio. We were an awful team in the late eighties, early you know, ninety ninety one. Then Robinson comes in and he just completely changes the game. And David Robinson did it on and off the court. And here's one of my favorite Nike ad commercials from mister Robinson's neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Who could that be?
Speaker 1: It's Charles Barkley with Today's word.
Speaker 3: Today's word is fine.
Speaker 2: Tell the boys and girls how you get fined, Charles. You can get fined for a lot of things like yelling, arguing and bad mouth and the fishers, but most of all for fighting. Have you ever been fined Charle?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 3: Never, no, no, no, no. Charles is a great player, but he has a lousy memory.
Speaker 2: Never one of my favorite commercials with Charles Barkley. At that time, Charles was known for fines. Charles was known for getting in fights, and here he is on mister Robinson's neighborhood a nice guy and David Robinson a good Christian boy raised in the military family and the Admiral Right, David was such a good boy. Ate his wheaties yep, sometimes not even with milk, just ate him dry, That's how good he was. But Charles would probably you know, would have done different with his wheaties. Who would have poured him pound of sugar on it? As the round mound of rebound which we talked about him last week on the show as well, one of my favorite favorite commercials as well, and just another one I want to throw in there. Check this out today, mister Robinson's going to talk about his Nike shoes. Mister Robinson likes the Nike air cushioning.
Speaker 3: Mister Robinson really likes the plastic stuff on the side.
Speaker 2: Who could that be, mister Robinson, big Tonne you were in that it's.
Speaker 3: For pizza man.
Speaker 2: With today's look, Robinson's done talking about his night to shoe. Robinson likes his nighty shoes, but he loves his lunch. David Robinson again with those classic mister Robinson's neighborhood ads and kids. If you don't know who you know they're talking about are referencing there. Mister Rogers neighborhood back in the day used to be a show on a Chapleau pet and he was light hearted, old jolly gentlemen. And that's why David Robinson sounded like this, because everybody thought he was so good, goody, and then when he got in that game, he was dominant. All want to whatever, lay them up And I really like those shoes. I'm looking for some d rub shoes again. I too, I too loved all plastic stuff on that. I really did. There are some great videos on YouTube. Go check out mister Robinson with David Robin. Then let's check out his career stats. David Robinson didn't even play a thousand games. Can you believe that he didn't even play a thousand games? Twenty one point again, ten rebounds, almost three assists a game. And I know what you're saying. There are many players today with bigger numbers than that, but Rons is larger than the stats that loomed over him. Really, he was a man that shot almost fifty two percent from the field. Ten time All Star, He's in the Hall of Fame. He won the scoring Championship in ninety three, ninety four, rebound champ in ninety ninety one, two time NBA champ. And what was loved about David Robinson was it took him so long to get his first title. First time to get his NBA title nineteen ninety nine, he looked like one of these players in sports that would never get a ring. You're Dan Marino's of the world and you were like, ah, he's a great player, but he never won the big run Charles Barklay. But David Robinson when Duncan got here, man, wasn't that legendary too. When they were able to win a title in three, you didn't think Robinson would win another one because at that time in his life he was almost ten years in. And what I love about Robinson is he didn't stay in the game. To stay in the game. He got that second title and he was done. I love the Sports Illustrated photo two of him and Robinson, I mean him and them, Duncan on the front was one of the legendary Sports Illustrated photos. David Robinson also an eight time All Defensive Player of the Year, eighty nine, ninety Rookie of the Year, Our first Rookie of the Year. Alvin Robinson many years ago when we drafted him, was runner up as Rookie of the Year ninety four ninety five, he was the league MVP. He is a part of the seventy fifth Anniversary team two thousand, two thousand and one Sportsmen of the Year, ninety one, ninety two, Defensive Player of the Year, All Rookie Team in eighty nine ninety as we mentioned, ten time All Star and and he also led the league in blocks in ninety one ninety two. What an amazing year, What an amazing run for the Admiral David Robinson. And let's give that man a huge round of applause and a salute to David Robinson. If it wasn't for David Robinson, the San Antonio Spurs would probably not be one of the elite teams in the NBA. But guess what, they're on their way to being one of the elite teams in the NBA. Once again. We had fun with you guys today with the rumor mill. We had fun with you guys on X. We'll do it again. And I don't mean like on X if you know what I mean, not the drug I mean on the website before we get fined for that. But I want to say thank you guys for checking out the show and we'll bring you more fun Spurs action in the weeks to come, so make sure you listen. We'll be dropping new shows every Monday. Every Monday. Go check us out on YouTube as well. We have some great funny live San Antonio Spurs and NBA memes and shorts we threw up there. We also have our Spur of the Moment minute on there talking a little bit about certain things like we discussed today Again. Follow us on YouTube San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with Katie. We'll see you on the flip side. But remember, no matter how good or bad these Spurs are playing, no matter what they're doing in the off season, let that black and silver blood run through your veins and go Spurs, Go,