Speaker 1: We got another bonus episode for you. Let you hear a little bit from some of the folks that we've gotten a chance to talk to here at Big ten Media Days, some stuff we just haven't had a chance to put in any other podcast speeds. Well, we have lots of great stuff for you all week long. I'm gonna give you some bonus coverage to let you hear from as many people as we possibly can. This week today's show, you're gonna get to hear from a little bit from USC head coach Lincoln Riley. And this is a big year for Lincoln Riley. Things have not necessarily gone as well or as quickly as he might have liked in his new job at USC, which is no longer a new job at USC, But you get the vibe, and you're gonna get to hear from him. You get the vibe that he thinks things might be on the upsling there for a whole lot of different reasons. But before we get into sort of the big picture stuff with USC, gonna drill down a little bit on the Ohio state specific stuff. There were just a couple questions about Ohio state. I'm gonna let you hear those first and then we can get into some of the broader stuff. But they are going up against Ohio State this ball. The Buckeyes visit the coliseum out in LA on Halloween this year. We don't have a game time. I think it is probably safe to say that's likely going to be a late afternoon game or potentially even early evening game out there in La. So a little bit of a personal history there as well between Lincoln Riley and the Buckeyes and a very very big game on tap for Halloween.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I you know, we competed against them two of the years at OU my last year's OC and then my actually my second game as a head coach was in Columbus.
Speaker 2: That was a fun one.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we can recreate that a little bit more. Yeah, a lot of respect for the program obviously, coach you know Meyer was there at that time, and then Ryan took over. I remember I was having a few discussions when he took over, because, like you said, there was a lot of parallels between his situation at Ohio State and mine at Oklahoma at the time. But no, listen, it's one of the best programs of all time. You know, they've they've invested in that program, They've had a lot of great coaches. You know, their talent level seems to just stay. It's one of the steadiest.
Speaker 2: I would say, there's.
Speaker 3: Talent levels a year in our sport, you know, great place to go play, I mean, it's it's yeah, I mean, I've utmost respect for it, and I'm glad, yeah, glad we probably finally get to play them. It's it's been a while. We've gotten to play some of the others, like Michigan a couple of times and all that, and so it'll be fun, you know, them being at the Coliseum, two of the best programs of all time going at it, you know, I mean at that venue.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's that's it's pretty damn cool.
Speaker 1: You don't necessarily think of a team from Ohio and a team from California being real longtime rivals, But the Buckeyes and Trojans have played twenty four times already, a lot of those happening in the Rose Bowl Game. So this is a very very traditional rivalry between these two schools.
Speaker 2: The two schools, two programs, These.
Speaker 1: Are two programs that played a lot of very high profile, high stakes games over the years, a lot of them on New Year's Day. So this now as Big Ten Conference rivals, this is the first time these two teams will meet. This is kind of a new chapter in the rivalry, a little bit of a renewal of the rivalry. Tony Gerdaman asked him about sort of is this sort of starting a new tradition usc playing Michigan previously previously and now Ohio State, sort of taking the old rivalry and renewing it in a new place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's some ways a renewal with some of the history of it.
Speaker 3: I think, uh, you know, and and and it's like maybe a renewal and a start at the same time, you know, and Michigan the last few years has kind of felt that way a little bit for us, you know, like this this one's.
Speaker 2: Got a little bit of juice behind it. You know.
Speaker 3: It's just those two, those two whether it's at the Big House or at the coliseum, those two programs walk onto the field and those two helmets walk on the field. It's like, damn, you know, like this is this is real, Like it's it's pretty cool. And I think everybody you know, kind of feels that. So I think we'll have that with several teams in the Big Ten, and obviously Ohio State's you know, a natural one because of the histories of both schools individually and together.
Speaker 1: All right, now, let's go to some of the other stuff that Lincoln Riley had to say, and he had some interesting soundbites. You're gonning to hear a bunch from him about a whole bunch of different topics. One of the things was the twenty four team college football playoff model. Now, it's easy to be cynical and look at Lincoln Riley and go, well, yes, the guy who has just barely missed the college football Playoff and who probably really desperately needs to make the college football Playoff. Yes, I'm sure he's in favor of letting more teams in the college football Playoff. But as you will hear him say here, he is definitely not the only one in the Big Ten who thinks that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's actually, you know, when you get a room of fifty coaches or whatever we have in this conference together, it's.
Speaker 3: Hard to get everybody to be like unanimous on something. This is something that our room has been unanimous on, and I think, you know, the Big ten has done a nice job of putting some facts in front of us, and I think for everybody out there that's maybe undecided or like, you know, trying to figure out where they stand on you know, how many teams should be in a playoff like and I know they put this out there, but like, look at every other major sport, right and look at the percentage of teams that have access, you know, to a playoff, and and I think it's it's an interesting lens to look at this at And I think, you know, college football is behind in that regard, like in any way, shape or form, and you're seeing some of the repercussions of that, especially the non conference scheduling being certainly the biggest, but I think there's others as well, And so I just think this is something that's not going to diminish the game, and in any way, having more teams in a tournament to determine a champion is not going to make it worse. You're gonna have more playoff games on college campuses, which are unbelievable. You're going to have better non conference matchups which preserve some of the traditions and rivalries and all the things that everybody loves about college football. Like I just I think it's time that that, you know, it should be the idea should be embraced. And I think more and more people are coming over to that, and I honestly believe it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: There is, of course, a trade off to everything. You get twenty four teams, you get more playoff teams, you get more playoff games. Sure, if you want that, that's great, but that means you're probably doing away with the conference championship games. That was something that Tony Petiti, the Big Ten commissioner, talked about on Tuesday here. So is that worth it? Is that a financially worth it trade off to potentially give away the conference championship games no longer have those in favor of bringing in all the other college football playoff games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's definitely one of the discussions.
Speaker 3: You know, you lose, potentially lose the conference championship game.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously those are huge revenue drivers right now for these conferences, which matters in this day and age right, maybe a little bit more than it used to.
Speaker 2: But to think.
Speaker 3: That that could not be made up when you start to add in some of these playoff games. I know there's some mechanisms and that's easier than just you know, turning off one light switch and flipping on another. But I have a hard time believing that that couldn't be recruited, that these conferences can't just decide who the regular season champion is, you know, have your tiebreaker structure or whatever, and then let's get into the playoffs. And I think that I think when that happens, I think it'll become, you know, in some ways, like a little bit more like the NFL, right. I mean, people pay attention of who wins you know, the AFC this or the NFC this, but people really just pay attention to who wins the Super Bowl, right, who wins the big conference?
Speaker 2: Right? And I think we'll probably trend that way a little bit.
Speaker 1: This is definitely a year when USC needs to figure it out. They need to get over the hump for Lincoln Riley's long term job security. Obviously, getting to a twenty four team playoff would help him get into the playoff, but that's not going to happen this year, so they got to kind of figure that out on their own. So one of the what do they have to do well. You're gonna hear him talk about they got to win on the road. They gotta beat some good teams on the road. Here's the road schedule this year. They play at Rutgers, you figure they're probably okay. They're at Penn State, that might be a challenge, at Wisconsin, who knows what that's going to be this year, at Indiana that's going to be a challenge. And then they finish at UCLA, which that could be a tougher game than you think in the first year for Bob Chesney. So what do they have to do to get where they need to beat this season?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the biggest areas that that that we have to improve, you know, I would say, I mean I think holistically as a team for us, the biggest thing, the number one thing for us is the ability to go win big games against really good teams on the road.
Speaker 2: Like that's the hardest thing to do in college football.
Speaker 3: That's those games are actually easier to win or harder to win than championship games or playoff games. You know those are you're still playing good teams there, but those are neutral. It's the toughest thing to do in college football. Once you can do that consistently, you can beat anybody. And you know, I think that's we've we've we've come along ways in terms of our ability to win at home and and and I think the home field advantage of the coliseums has gotten better and better each year. And you really fit Al did a lot last year. But that's kind of the next step for us, and it's a big step, and we obviously have some great opportunities coming up.
Speaker 1: He was asked about nil the transfer portal, some of the changes in college football, maybe bringing some changes to the sport, maybe bring more parody to the sport. This is one of these great answers where you don't have to read very far between the lines to understand what he's saying here at the beginning of it, where he talks about how things used to be and maybe what has changed there.
Speaker 3: It's a good question because there's a lot of parody right now, like there really is. I mean, there's so much more parody than there was. I mean, for a lot of different reasons. I've never been afraid to say it. I mean, obviously, you know, ten years ago, there was you know, one side of the world that was way different from everywhere else. Everybody can pay Now everybody's using rev share. But yeah, it's hard to imagine it not increasing it more. But there's so much more right now than there was a few years ago. Like it's kind of defying, like how we all look at college bar right now.
Speaker 1: This is one of these questions that coaches tend to be a little bit cagy in answering. They don't want to get too committal on any one direction. But you know, would he be in favor of somebody maybe control costs in terms of player player salaries or player income, you know, And he will say the word salary cap here, So I'm not I'm not putting words in this word to say, you know, what does he think about the idea of a salary cap?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it probably depends on your you know, your own opinion of it, but I uh, I mean I would be in favor of it, I think, just to normalize it.
Speaker 2: I just h I've always been one like I just I don't want to have less.
Speaker 3: Than what somebody has, but I don't necessarily have to have more, Like you know, I just don't want to be as like some massive, massive disadvantage you know if you're trying to win a championship. But I will say this, like, despite maybe the perception outside, it.
Speaker 2: Has normalized a lot in the last few years.
Speaker 3: Now, let's not confuse that with being normal, but it has normalized, Like we there is a lot more structure, and there is a lot more process, and there's not so much crazy stuff going on. Like there's still some, but it ain't like a couple of years ago this thing people say everybody wants use the turn wild West.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago it was like legit. Now it's it has steadied. A true salary cap would steady it even more.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you will learn at these events every year is coaches never want to set the expectations too high. Everyone's trying to manage their expectations a little bit because if you go out there and say we're gonna be the best team ever and then you're not, well, then you have sort of set yourself up for failure. Lincoln Riley, he was pretty confident about how things are looking for this year's team. He was asked to sort of put a comp on this year's team, maybe a team from his past that this one maybe reminded him of you're going to hear him talk about his twenty nineteen Oklahoma team. That was a team that had Jalen Hurts, the former Auburn or Alabama quarterback transfer. That team made the College Football Playoff, and that was in a four team college football playoff. So the fact that he was willing to put that comp on team and that tells you a lot about what he thinks. So here was his answer on that question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know there there's definitely there's definitely some parts of this team that kind of remind me a little of our our nineteen team at OU when we when we had we had an experienced quarterback, it was Jalen coming at the time. That was, you know, definitely one of the best defenses that we had there. We had a really good defense that year. Defensively kind of won a budd We won games a lot of different ways that year. And this team, again, it's you know, it's right here into July beginning of August, but like, this team feels.
Speaker 2: Like it's going to have that capability.
Speaker 3: You know that we're going to have some firepower on both sides, and I think I'm most interested to see is you know, our our lines of scrimmage, especially on the road in the big games, and then how our depth holds up. You know, we were just we had a pretty football team last year. We were just very different. Like if you look at us early season, mid season, and late season, it's almost especially from like early mid to mid late we were almost like two different football teams, like in a lot of ways. And when you get really good, that's not necessarily the case. Right, Injury, this or that happens, you're able that next guy's up and you just hardly even notice, right, And that's that's what you got to get to, especially with as long as these seasons are now and how long the playoffs are, Like, I mean, you may have I mean I saw some stats like Indiana's last year.
Speaker 2: I mean, you might have that one kind of generational.
Speaker 3: Year where you're just radically stay healthy and that's great. That typically does not happen, and I think how your roster is able to withstand that is like that's everything, And I you know, obviously I've sit up here hoping we stay healthy like crazy, but I feel like we can withstand a few and still be a pretty good team and not not change a lot.
Speaker 1: And then finally he was asked about his just level of confidence around the program on the whole, and you'll hear him talk about it. There's a lot of reasons. He feels pretty good about his program right now. Here or mentioned a new building. They just opened a new football facility about ten days ago. But it feels like the he feels pretty confident about his roster, feels pretty good about his program on the whole. This is a college, this is a coach who feels pretty good heading into the season.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just a it's a culmination of all of it.
Speaker 3: You know. It's a culmination of knowing that our our leadership is steady. It's a culminator. It's knowing that our nil is in a good place. It's knowing that we now reside in maybe the best football facility in the country. It's knowing the staff we brought together and the talent we have. And like I did, it's not I want to paint this picture like it's perfect, but like it is just so much more well equipped to win consistently right now. It's so it's so different, and that just so with that, a lot of my time and energy now goes into just the team winning. And that's again, just like I said before, we're all a product of our own experiences and the place I've been where we've won a lot.
Speaker 2: That's what it's felt like, like.
Speaker 3: The main thing was the main thing, and everything else is kind of handled. Like you ain't worried about all this other crap, right, You're just it's not crap.
Speaker 2: You have to have it to win. And if it's not fixed, you have to fix it. You can.
Speaker 3: If you ignore it, you know you'll probably have you know, you'll have something. There were some things ignored at this place for years. I mean that's why I was in the position it was when we came here. Like when you ignore it and neglect it, it'll bite you. But if you can get it to a point where it's healthy and running and operating a high level, then you can just put all your energy into the team and winning and coaching. And right now, if you if somebody were to take like a snapshot of the percentage of my time and where it's going, there's more time just going into our team and coaching than at any point that I've been at SC and by a not a small margin and that's again my experience tells me that's typically a precursor to some pretty good things.
Speaker 1: So you go a little bit from Lincoln Riley about the US Trojans again. Ohio State will play out in USC play out at the Coliseum on Halloween this year. That is going to be a very very big game for both teams, two teams expected to compete for college football playoff. For US, that game will probably go a long way towards determining which one gets there or whether they both get there. So there you go, there's a little update from Lincoln Raleigh. We will have much more coming up all week long from Big Ten media Days, planning plenty of bonus coverage for you as well.