Speaker 1: I think the most fascinating coverage discussion I heard of the election results from last week had to do with the topic of transgenderism. Anyone who watched TV watched football, or that's really the only TV I watch anymore. Pretty much over the last month or two, saw these Republican ads where the Trump camp was highlighting that Kamala Harris was for they them, but Trump is for us. Basically that Harris is so totally committed to the transgender cause, and how ridiculous that is. How she'd expressed support for giving transitions surgeries to inmates in prisons and all kinds of crazy transgender policies that she supported that are just not where the country is. So CNN had a panel discussing this and this pro LGBT activists named Jay Michaelson, an older white man, is on along with a young African American man named Shermichael Singleton. Singleton is expressing the viewpoint that a lot of they were having this debate about who those ads were aimed for. The LGBT activist was like, this is just Trump trying to rev up his bass. This is ridiculous. His race is not racist. I guess his anti trans bigoted bass and Singleton said, I don't think this was aimed at the base. I think this is kind of aimed at the broader American public who are just not there with regards to transgenderism in all these issues, I don't think they want biological males playing girls' sports. So this is Abby Phillips show, and she's sort of moderating it. And I want you to listen to this clip just of how liberals think they well, how historically they have one a lot of arguments, how they are trying to win, specifically this argument over transgenderism, gender biological sex, et cetera. Okay, here we go, roll the tape. I'm not and I think there.
Speaker 2: Are a lot of families out there who is single. Boys should play girls sports.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to listen to I am not going to girl boy.
Speaker 2: When you use.
Speaker 1: Okay, so listen to what happened there. Singleton, who's taking the more conservative position here, is just saying, no, I don't think that's true that Trump's playing this ad just for his base. I think it's for the broader public. I think a lot of the public isn't comfortable with boys playing girls sports. This LGBT activist. By the way, a white man shouting down this black man yells at him and says, I will not listen to slurs at this table. I will not tolerate transphobia at this table. Trans girls are not boys. That is a slur. He calls it a slur. And the whole rest of this segment, you've got the so called moderator of this debate then lecturing the guy who referred to what are in fact biological males as boys. The moderator here, Abby Phillip, then is like lecturing Shermichael that you need to talk about this more respectfully, like she's an HR manager.
Speaker 2: And this is just what has This is the problem.
Speaker 1: This is sort of the advantage of the left has had for so long, but the problem they're facing now specifically with this issue. Historically, because the left controlled the media, they were able to change the terms of the debate and win the debate as a result, win the debate without even having the debate. Really because they changed the terms, they delineated what was acceptable language, they delineated the vocabulary that we were forced to use, stuff like the AP style guide is important for this. They did this all the time with the abortion debate, and they're still doing it with the abortion debate. Abortion is quote reproductive health care. Abortion is abortion care. That's just what allegedly neutral news outlets are supposed to call it. Allegedly neutral news outlets are supposed to refer to abortion as this as a healthcare service, even though that's an intensely debated medical ethical point whether abortion is in fact the healthcare service. People in favor of legalized abortion are allowed to be referred to in the media with the entirely a euphemism sloganeering term pro choice. The fact that we just accept pro choice as a label for people who want abortion to be legal. When you really stop and think about it, how insane that is. You'd think maybe pro choice could refer to I don't know, someone who's in favor of laissez fair capitalism, free markets, who want people to have maximal amounts of economic choice, or school choice or this choice. But the only people we actually call pro choice are people in favor of the legalization of one choice and one choice only, namely the choice to kill a baby. So the media has successfully altered language, and left wing academia works with them in various ways to alter language. For example, changing this is a common This is the thing I've been researching about, changing the definition of what pregnancy is. Pregnancy doesn't start until implantation of a newly formed embryo. That's sort of the way that a lot of the left frames it. So interventions that result in a newly formed embryo not being able to implant, they would deem that not to be abortifacient. Okay, So there's all kinds of ways in which the left tries to win an argument by defining the terms of the debate beforehand, to put conservatives into a heads I win tails, you lose position. So you oppose gay rights. By gay rights, they mean gay marriage. That's what they mean, is gay marriage. Well, no, that's a disputed political topic right now. The question is whether that is a legitimate right that actually exists or should be recognized. Oh so you're opposing gay Oh so you oppose abortion rights. Well no. The whole debate, especially within the context of ro V Wade or the Dobbs decision, was is there actually any kind of constitutional right to abortion? The way the media frames it is this person opposes abortion rights, assuming that such rights are in existence and one party is just denying those rights. So for so many issues, in so many ways, the left has made hay out of their ability. Because they control the media, because they control the AP Style Guide, they've been able to win the debate, and they think they were.
Speaker 2: They have thought that they should.
Speaker 1: By now have been able to win a debate on the transgender issue through those same mechanisms. Here's this guy yelling down this black man. This this older white guy yelling down a young black man because he had the temerity to say that a lot of Americans don't want boys playing girls' sports. Because he says, nope, that is a slur, and the host basically agrees with him and says, you need to talk about this more respectfully.
Speaker 2: Even though the ling the language usage here is part of what's actually in debate politically. Now, the AP style guy just blew right past it. The AP style guy just basically agreed. If a transgender person identifies as a heat, you call that person a heat in the article. If a transgender person identifies as a she, you call that person a she in the article. If a transgender person.
Speaker 1: Idafies as they, you call them they in the article.
Speaker 2: The they thing leads.
Speaker 1: To I think the most absurd example of this is the actor Ezra I think it's Ezra Miller. So Ezra Miller. Actor Okay, yeah, Ezra Miller. So Ezra Miller played the flash in some DC Comics movies and declare this biological male says that he insists on going by they, they them. Those are the pronouns that I insist that you refer to me by when you're talking about me in the third person. By the way, that's the other ridiculous thing about the whole pronouns argument. You're talking about third person pronouns, not first person pronouns I and me or we and us, not second person pronouns you, but third person pronouns, and within English grammar, really any language grammar, I guess, uh, the third person first person is I, myself talking the the doer of I am, the doer of the action. Second person is the person being addressed. The third person is another person that we're talking about who's not directly within this exchange, this verbal exchange. You know, Uh, the boy walks his dog, boy is the third person subject of that verb. So the whole pronouns argument is not saying, when you address me talk about me like this, No, it's when you're talking about me to other people. I insist that you refer to me this way, which is like, well, why do you get to control how I talk about you when you're not even a party to the conversation. Why should that be anyway? The most ridiculous anyway, the most ridiculous example of how the AP style Guide governs this stuff again is with the actor Ezra Miller. So, Ezra Miller is just a biological male, but for some stupid reason, he insists on going by they, And Ezra Miller is a lunatic who went on an absolute crime spree. He seemingly, he seems to have kidnapped or run off with like a fourteen year old girl to have to basically have a sexual relationship with a fourteen year old girl something like that, He committed several different robberies. He's this incredibly unstable, anti social person who has committed all kinds of ridiculous crime games and as a result, the media has to report on this criminal engaging in criminal behavior. But they, this guy is a slimeball, an absolute flippin' slimeball. Like I'm just going through his Wikipedia Disorderly conduct in twenty eleven, choking incident in twenty twenty as video surfaced of Ezra Miller choking woman and throwing her to the ground, Hawaii incidents in twenty twenty two. From March seventh through March twenty eight of twenty twenty two, Miller was the subject of ten calls to the police because of various minor incidents, such as filming people at a gas station, loitering on a restaurant sidewalk, arguing with people. Couple got a restraining order against him because he allegedly threatened the two and stole the wife. He threatened this couple, stole the wife passport and the husband's wallet. He had a relationship with a young woman that began when she was twelve. When it began in twenty sixteen, when Miller was twenty three and she was twelve. Okay, So in short, this guy is is that a pedophile? I guess? Is that an a feeble fhile I don't know what the term is. So this this guy as a monster on like twenty different counts, and the media insists on calling this person they them and I think with transgenderism. The media has come up against the limit of their ability to define this stuff, because the problem is they can declare that this is what the AP Style Guide says all they want. People get their news from a lot of different outlets out nowadays, though that don't recognize the almighty authority of the AP Style Guide for issues other than grammar. The APS Style Guide here is making a metaphysical, philosophical declaration. The actual point in issue is, are transgender people people who are of one biological sex but want to identify and present as a member of the opposite biological sex or as some other third thing? Do we acknowledge it? Acknowledge it in some cases, acknowledge it in all cases. All cases, there's no way in which someone's biological sex is a relevant factor. When we return, this touches on the topic of discrimination, and I'll explain why discrimination is not actually always bad in America, unreasonable discrimination is, and we'll see how transgenderism fits into that. That's next on the John Jbardy Show. This amazing clip from Abbie Phillips CNN show in which a young African American man says, Hey, I think democrats, this is not a winning issue of Democrats. Most Americans don't want boys playing girls' sports, and this LGBT activist on the panel, an older white man yells at him, shouts him down, says he's saying anti trans slurs, it's bigotry, etc. I don't think this is going to be a winning message for the left, for the pro transgender left. If you just declare that what most of the country thinks is a slur, you're probably just gonna drive them farther away that they're just being bigoted, because the reality is people can intuitively understand that they're not being bigoted. Let me explain our legal and ethical culture in America towards the topic of discrimination. In America, we discriminate all the time, and you're legally allowed to discriminate. It's just that over time we've come to realize that there are certain categories on the basis of which it is unreasonable unjust to discriminate. There are certain qualities that don't if they are not logically related to the end purpose of what you're doing. It's unfair and unjust to discriminate. If you're interviewing someone to hire them for I don't know, let's say we want a board op for the radio station. Okay, here I am looking at the board. If we want to board op for the radio station, and a white guy applies and a black guy applies, the fact that the white guy has white skin and the black guy has black skin has actually no bearing whatsoever on the job. Similarly, if a black man and a black woman both apply for the job, the fact that someone is biologically a woman doesn't necessarily have any bearing on whether or not she's a good boardop. Just doesn't. Now, if I'm interviewing for let's say, let's see, I think this is fine. If I'm interviewing for a position, a leadership position within the NAACP, the National Association for the Advancement Colored People, and a black man applies, and a white man applies, well, the fact that they're black is relevant. Discriminating on the basis of race in that context is reasonable. This is an association for advancing African American people. It's an African American organization, like Okay. Similarly, a Catholic social justice organization would look at a Catholic applicant versus a Hindu applicant and say, well, you know nothing against you being Hindu, but this is a Catholic organization. We were going to hire a Catholic. So over time in America we developed laws to protect people in various kinds of categories in which discrimination against them is illogical, where discrimination doesn't actually make sense for the job, the task, the activity at hand. Within the military, there are still differences in how male and female soldiers are treated, their physical readiness standards, et cetera. Why because we recognize that biologically men and women are different, and the level of scrutiny that American law places for different treatment between people on the basis of race is a heightened level of scrutiny relative to disparate treatment to people on the basis of sex, because American law has recognized sex is a real difference. That is more than literally here skin deep. The transgender the pro transgender crowd is trying to convince you that even in the category of you know, transgender woman identifying biological males playing women's sports, that that is not relevant, that's not a relevant or reasonable category for discriminating. And everyone realizes that's dumb. And there are a lot of other categories where look, there's probably some kind of position out there saying yeah, okay, if someone wants to present as the opposite sex, that's fine, but there are certain things we're not going to allow that person to do. Right, you can't be having a biological male showering in private, secured spaces with biological women. You can't have a biological male playing women's sports. You can't have a biological male in a prison with biological females, because that stuff starts to actually threaten women, and we lose sense of the fact that there are certain aspects that being a woman does come with, many, many times on the average, less physical strength than men, a position of vulnerability visa v men biological men, and vulnerability that's born out of men on the whole being bigger, taller, stronger, faster, that this could endanger women's safety. People intuitively grasp that, and as legally and ethically as far as our American tradition of when we allow discrimination and don't allow discrimination, we allow discrimination when it's reasonable. We don't allow discrimination when it's not reasonable. No shoes, no shirt, no service, reasonable discrimination. Blacks need not apply unreasonable discrimination. So for the pro trans left to just shut down debate and say I will not listen to a slur, but you're gonna tick people off more because people are reasonably understanding this is not a surface level difference here.
Speaker 2: We're not even nor is it when we're talking about transgender issues.
Speaker 1: We're talking about issues where biological sex has been relevant in every other case, housing people who are who are prisoners or in jail, sports, locker room, shower, bathroom access. We've always segregated people on the basis of sex for those things, and you cannot just say that biological sex your physical body is irrelevant in those categories. People will not accept that because it isn't true. People won't accept that because as much as we want to say socially that we want to treat this person as the opposite sex, it's a denial of a certain kind of reality. And where the rubber hits the road, you have to have discrimination on that category, or else you risk harm to women. When we return the liberal culture around therapy and the idea of needing therapy for things that are actually just disappointments. Next on the John Girardi Show, my buddy Manny has a kid who is at present state, and the day after the election, his kid got an email from the professor saying, I'm canceling class for those of you who need mental health, a mental health break, or mental health assistance today.
Speaker 2: Because this is a lot to process.
Speaker 1: I then read a story about the Department of Justice. The Department of Justice, not the Department of Social Workers, not the Department of I don't know DEI professionals, the Department of Justice. Who let's remember what's under the ambit of the Department of Justice, the whole FBI and a bunch of lawyers, Lawyers who are involved with federal criminal law enforcement prosecutions, Lawyers involved with you know, protecting defending the federal government in high stress, high profile litigation circumstances like it's. These are like high profile lawyers, very smart, very accomplished, high stress, hard work professional people, or at least most of them are should be. I guess until I read this thing that the DOJ has a bunch of people on for a conversation about change and the stresses of change that since the election and mental health resources available to This is sort of, I think, just more manifestations of the way in which the Left is sort of wholesale and gen Z and millennials especially have wholesale sort of adopted the language of mental health professionals and the reflexive instinct of turning to mental health professionals.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying like, don't seek out mental health if you're having a mental health help, if you're having an extremely difficult time, if you're experiencing symptoms of things that don't seem healthy, obsessive thoughts, et cetera. Whatever, you know, if you're actually facing things like that. Sure, but it seems like the more I read about this, like I've interacted with people who seem to just have like permanent standing relationships with a therapist. There's just sort of forever ongoing, and I don't know how helpful that is at a certain point, Like it seems as though it's society replacing the normal kinds of help that people would get for difficulties with some sort of secular version of you know, whether it's the Catholic sacrament of confession or religion or what have you. Maybe it's a symptom of greater atomization within our culture that there are more people who are more alone. There are fewer adults getting married than ever before, more people living in one person households, more instability within relationships, people in longer term relationships without commitment, and then a growing irreligiosity that causes people to flock more and more and more towards these kinds of methods of dealing. But I think it's what you've seen on the left especially, is you know, I hate to just be sort of old man yelling at cloud, but I guess I just sort of feel like there's a toughening up that needs to sort of happen with a lot of people sort of my age and younger. I've had disappointments in life. I've had several disappointments in my life. I've had jobs that didn't really work out. I've had, you know, times in my work where I was really stressed out. I've had times where I was really upset about things, but it was usually stuff that was personal to me, stuff that could maybe impact my career, my livelihood, or deep personal relationships that I have. I don't understand the idea. I don't understand the idea of needing to get mental health help because someone won or lost an election. All Right, was I really disappointed in twenty twenty when Joe Biden won you bet I was, and I got over it. I don't know. It didn't rock my world, it didn't necessitate me getting therapy. It's not to say I don't think there's like fundamental questions of justice that aren't involved there. I think there are. I think they're deep, deep in fact it. You know, on a certain level, maybe I should have been more upset. I really care about the issue of abortion. I think the wholesale killing of hundreds of thousands of unborn children every year, whole business is set up to do it, is horrifying. It makes me fear the judgment that God can visit on this country as a result. And I just think of the millions of women who are having abortions who don't even want to get most. Several turnaway studies on this show that sixty to seventy percent of women who are having abortions don't want to have an abortion. They feel coerced into it by financial or other constraints. I think about the human wreckage left behind by it, and maybe I should have been more upset. I don't know. Maybe I should have been laid out in my bed for a week, unable to get up and move because I was so distraught. But at the end of the day, I get up and I go to work, and that's that maybe I have advantages that a lot of these liberals don't. And on account of the lifestyle that I've chosen to live and that a lot of them have chosen to live. Again, we do see this that there is a lot more atomization within our culture. They're more and more millennials, especially not getting married. If they are in a relationship, maybe it's not a committed relationship, they're not having kids, they're sort of you know, they're turning away from religion. They don't have the comfort or solace that that can bring in life, or the self reflection or the silence or the thought that maybe religious experience can engender, and so they don't have a way of coping with serious problem with bad things that happen in life. So, I mean, I guess there's a part of me that wants to say, like, holy cow, you you there's a big part of me that really wants to just say, a bunch of little whoosies. Kamala Harris lost, go to class, Kamala Harris lost, teach your class, go to class. No, I want to yell this for my friend Manny's son, like like for his I don't think I don't think Manny's son was this. I don't think Manny's son was this way. But apparently his teacher was like, I want to yell that, like, get off your rear end and do your job. You're a public university teacher, you're a you're a state employee. Get up. The taxpayers are funding your salary. Get up, off your rear end and go do your job. This is ridiculous to be canceling classes anywhere in the country. And apparently this was a phenomenon in universities throughout the country. There were a bunch of professors who canceled classes, a bunch of oh for mental health, we need a mental health check in for or students after the difficult events of Tuesday, November fifth, or whatever. Which note that that same grace would was almost certainly not afforded in twenty twenty after Biden won, or in two thousand and eight. I'm fairly certain nobody canceled classes on behalf of us aggrieved, you know McCain and Romney voters. In twenty eight and twenty twelve, when I was in you know, college in law school and had to go to class the next day after, you know, after Barack Obama won, No such grace gets afforded to us. But you see this, You see this all over the even in the context of people who are otherwise like successful professionals. And I wonder what it is if basically mental health and the language of mental health has just has been a sorry attempt to fill the void that authentic religious experience and practice should be filling, to fill the void that relationships should be filling. And you know, I mean, I take enormous comfort in the stresses and difficulties of life in having my wife, whom I love dearly. And there's also a I think within a family when it's you know, you have a wife, and when you have children, when you have a spouse, when you have children, you know, it's not that you don't have time to grieve, but also like crap has to get done, Like we got to do the dishes, and we gotta we got to vacuum the living room, and we got to take out the garbage, and we gotta you know, we got to mow the lawn and and you know, stuff still has to get done. And you know, whereas when you're living by yourself, you can let all that stuff slide a lot more easily. And so I wonder if the these instinctive turns towards mental health are again reflective of this greater atomization that we see in society, the lack of the comfort and strength that comes from family and the worship of God. Anyway, it's a bizarre phenomenon. Anyway, any of you professors who took the day off from mental health ate you could probably grow a little bit, you know. I don't know. I feel like I'm being a jerk by yelling at them, because maybe these people don't have the advantages that I have. Maybe these people are struggling much harder than I am because they've replaced mental health, language and resources, whatever with the kinds of support that I have in life. So when we turn, when we return, an interesting piece in the New York Times about the grief of never becoming a grandparents next on the John Gerardy Show, you know, tied in with all this mental health stuff I've been talking about on the show is this interesting New York Times piece the unspoken grief of never becoming a grandparent and it's this article about sort of baby boomer aged people in their sixties and seventies who maybe only had one or two kids, who are in their thirties, who just sort of decided not to have children. And so you have these baby boomer aged people who don't have grandchildren. And this is a growing and more present phenomenon something I've noticed with different people I know who they don't have grandkids. And there's been this real attitude among millennials that there's this real attitude I see of well, it's selfish of grandparents just to be of these baby boomers, just to be thinking of themselves. Don't they realize the economic condition that their generation and it's unfair of them to expect us to be able to have children. And and maybe I just don't want to have children. Maybe I find fulfillment another thing. Okay, all right, all right, fine, I think they're still allowed to be sad. Being of a certain age and wishing you had grandchildren is not some bizarre like. This is not someone crying because they weren't able to you know, they could only afford a vacation in Florida, and not a vacation in you know, the French riviera. All right, it's not that the delight and love of children of your one's own grandchildren is about as natural a part of the human experience as anything can be, and to experience sorrow and grief for that not happening is totally normal. It's another sort of sad aspect of our atomized, non family grounded society. I think that'll do it. John Gerardi shows you next time on Power Talk