Speaker 1: The man who makes the weather. He cooks it up right there at Fox thirty one studio and then unleashes it on all of us day. Frazer, how you doing.
Speaker 2: It's my concuction contract contribution.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. Okay, let me just get this out of the way right now and ask the question that inevitably will be asked, Dave, how much longer do I have to water my lawn several times a week?
Speaker 2: Did Anthony just wink at you? He asked me the same question. He's struggling with moeing in the morning because we have these cool Chris mornings and you got a lot of dew on the grass and it's wet. Here's what I told him. And you know, September is not generally a wet month for us, So keep watering at least through the middle of the month, maybe the sixteenth or the twentieth, because if we do get dry later in the fall, we want to keep things going as much as we can right now. So I wouldn't give up on the watering. But yeah, if you're going to mow, mow in the afternoons, after the morning do kind of dries off. But everything is still looking great. Let's not shut things off just yet.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, Dave, we went hiking down in Castlewick in State Park this past weekend and everything is still green. Normally this time of year it's all crunchy and brown. It was like lush down there. I was kind of surprise. I'm not gonna lie, so you know.
Speaker 2: Ahead, go ahead. I'm not gonna say it's interesting, because you know, I get viewer emails all the time about you know, we're on the air talking about, you know, record setting rain three times. It happened in August in Denver because the rain officially hit the censor at the airport. And I'll give you your email saying, well, you know, we must be in a rain shadow because I'm not getting it as much. And that's just the way it is. I mean, the rain has not been uniformed by any means. But where we've had beneficial rain, like Castlewood Canyon, the southern parts of the Metro Denver, in some areas the Northern Front Ranges had some decent shots. It really looks good. And so we want to maintain that as much as we can here for them, at least the next three to four weeks.
Speaker 1: All right, so what do the next three to four weeks look like? What are we looking at here?
Speaker 2: Same thing we talked about last Wednesday. It's the tail of the first half versus second half. So the thirty day outlook for the entire month of September, which again doesn't tell you anything about the day to day weather. It's yes, when we're done, will it be above normal, below normal? Will it be wetter or drier than normal? Right now, that thirty day out looks stayed the same. It's showing us being slightly warmer and slightly drier than normal. That we're only three days into the month. However, the first eight to fourteen days, so that includes our seven day forecast plus the next seven days takes us out to the sixteenth of September, and that pattern for the first half of the month shows us being wetter and cooler than normal. So you would think we've got to flip the script in the second half of the month end up being drier and warmer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm going to tell you I've loved this past week. This week has been this is my favorite, which a Ron and I both want to know, Okay, because I feel like I can't remember last fall. Did we even have a fall? I mean, I don't remember fall, but fall's my favorite seat here, and I do feel like we kind of get you, like janked out of it every once in a while. What you've got to dry September on deck? But are we seeing anything in the you know that's going to indicate we're going to have like a super early snow. Where is that too far away to even begin to understand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the long range models for the three months of September, October, November continue to lean to dry and warm. We've been battling that all year, but we've had some winning battles in there. For instance, like I said, August at I think nine days of measurable range, three of them were record setting. It was the third wettest August on record, again with the point being at the airport. For those totals of I think it was four point one two inches. We had already had some dostens of snow way up. High fee resorts are all announcing their timeframe, so they're looking at the pattern. What they're looking for right now is to get those overnight lows down so they can start thinking about running their snow guns and starting to build a base. That's still not going to happen for weeks, but the process is underway. And I heard from something I wish I could remember, the critter somebody that works for the forestry or something like that, that said that there's some critter that's up high in the mountains that tends to burrow itself and build its nest for the winter. They started noticing. No, it wasn't the marmot, it was something else. I wish I could remember it. But whatever this little creature was, somebody had noticed that they were starting to burrow and prepare for the winter earlier than they had seen. And you know, we hear about that folklore all the time. People are talking about the leaves changing in the mountains. That's not necessarily a sign of an early winter. That's more because of the drought conditions that it's out with. But overall, you know, September is our first measurable month for snow, and it's generally an inch in Denver. We can get bigger snowstormps in that we've certainly had them in our history. And I looked at the records. The last time we had one inch of snow in Denver was in twenty twenty it was exactly an inch. So for the last four years September has been dry for us. But again it's just the beginning of the snow season if you will. October can have wild swings. Still think it's one of my favorite months, September and October me too.
Speaker 1: I've got a weather question for you, Mandy, Please ask what causes dirt devils when there is no wind? And to be clear, I want to make sure I know what a dirt devil is. It's just like a little mini tornado of just dust, right, I mean it just maybe they come up a few feet, but they're not ever going to like go to the sky kind of tornado, just like a little baby tornado.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a dust level basically dirt double dust level. I guess it depends how much dirt is in the air. But yeah, basically that doesn't have that doesn't come with a wind across the planes or like that. That's heating. So you have differential heating. So you've got a hot spot on the ground and the air starts to rise. Obviously, warm air rises, so you get the warm air rising and as it rises, it starts to spin up a little bit. They generally don't last long. But generally it's going to be in pockets where there's hot air that's building at the surface that wants to kind of release itself and rise up.
Speaker 1: Could it be a peka? Is that the animal that you are thinking of?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, they remain active all winter long, so that's not it. And somebody just suggested that when should people close down their pools?
Speaker 2: Dave, Well, that's for most hoas that's sailed over over Labor Day weekend. You know, I always I'm always a little frustrated the deck because we can have some great September weekends. Yeah in the eighties, and you want to go to the pool. But I understand the financial costs and everything like that, but what about people season. I think Labor Day is kind of dick. I mean, if you want to keep it going for a few more weeks, I don't think it's going to hurt. Well, obviously, what you want to watch out for would be dealing with any type of water, including your external pipes and all that kind of stuff for your sprinkler systems. You got to watch the overnight lows get high on the cold lows, and if they start to get you start to see our seven day popping up with some temperatures in the upper thirties, it's time. It's not to throw in the towel, but I still think if you have your own pool, you can probably get a couple more weeks out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, after those two weeks of super hot weather, my herb garden is going insane right now. So this weekend I got to figure out how to cut all this stuff back and dry it. So I've done it before, but not real successfully. But I'm determined this year to make the most of my hand I just so you know, Dave Frasier, my BlackBerry harvest came in yesterday and my big porch BlackBerry bush, and this year's harvest was a whopping four blackberries, the world's most expensive blackberries. My husband enjoyed all four of them in one setting. But there you go. It's time to start, you know, winding down the garden as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is. It's sad because you know, we could potentially set a record we won't know for another week or so of the earliest date of our last ninety degree temperature. So once we hit a week ago Friday, the rest of August was below average and we actually averaged down. So of all those hot nineties that we had in the middle of the month, we were averaging ahead. We thought maybe we'd get into the top twenty list for hottest August on record, and we did not. The last ten days of the month we had seventies and low eighties, and we averaged down. We were only about to little less than the degree over the average, and we didn't make the top twenty list. And so you know, those cool temperatures during the day, those morning lows down into the fifties, it's really been fantastic. Now I'm not going to stay I'm forecasting eighty eight tomorrow. That's a little too close for me to be, you know, copyacently saying we've seen our last ninety degree day, and there could be some days next week where we'll be knocking on that door. So I'm not going to say we're completely done with ninety degrees. But ninety degrees in September is not ninety degrees in August.
Speaker 1: Real quick, because we were out of time. When does this snoke go away? And obviously things are still on fire in the west slope. I don't think it's been as bad this year. But when do we see that wind shift?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we the last two days the wind's been more northwesterly than straight out of the west. So I just looked at a clear satellite picture and I'm not noticing that in the air going across Colorado. Right now we get more of a westerly win. Some of that could transport back to our way, but right now, for today tomorrow at least, it's not going to be that case. All right. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Dave Frasier, our favorite meteorologist, you can see him and his colleagues gave out the most accurate forecast on Fox thirty one. Thanks man, We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Maddie, all right, bye,