Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm and I'm Stephen, and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, welcome back. So you scenari time. Wohoo? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all right? Yeah, taking along?
Speaker 2: Good? Good? How are you? I'm good? Thank you? Just handing over all my stuff at works. I got a week off on holiday. That's nice. Oh yes, giving everyone else all of my shit to deal with for a week. Yes, that's nice.
Speaker 1: I bet that feels good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, are you off anywhere?
Speaker 2: Nice? Barcelona and salou to go to put a ventura be exciting? Yeah, some roller coasters? Oh nice? You got anything exciting coming up this week? No?
Speaker 1: Not really. My life at the moment is just thinking about this play that I'm going to start directing.
Speaker 2: How's it going. You're getting excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm excited. It's just we've had a bit of a nightmare casting. Oh and it seems that all the men in my local area. I was going to have exhausted all the men in my local area, but that sounds a bit dodgy. I've drained them all. But yes, we will get there good and it should be fun.
Speaker 2: I look forward to updates. Let's say I.
Speaker 1: Don't have an and from seance.
Speaker 2: Time fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if anyone spotted last week's hidden title it was one of yours?
Speaker 2: It was, did anyone spy it? It was last night of the Problems, went to try and see a show at the Albert Hall because it's the Problems at the moment, and hope I could get in there, but might try and get back. So the last night that the Problems might be fun. But one year, very nice, Thank you, thank you Bill Bailey and Queen there for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did seekly flips. Yeah so you missed out then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have been fun. Yeah, one day I'll go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, watch out for another craftily inserted what is wrong with me today? Any who?
Speaker 2: AnyWho? Indeed private view private view. So the synopsis we've got for this week, it's very short, A very special invitation to a private view of Elliot Quinn's final exhibition of pieces at the Nine Gallery in East London. Cool, that's all you get, fair enough. I enjoyed this one. It's a fun end to the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know. I'd forgotten it really, I didn't remember much about it, and I had a vague idea that I didn't really like it that much, but actually rewatching it for this Yes, it's a pretty good one.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good, fun one, pretty solid. Yeah, there's a lot of fun characters. Hmm.
Speaker 1: I love it, very like Agatha Christie and even they draw attention to in the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very self aware that it knows what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So, Yeah, that's nice. I do like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've got this sort of cold open at the Star which we don't normally get, like it takes quite a while before you get to the title in this one, you've got the whole Peter Kay section. Indeed before you even get to the titles.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's another nice classic murder mystery where you don't see who he's talking to and it's from their point of view.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good, gloved hand and that's it. Yeah, it's so cliched. I love it.
Speaker 1: It is cliched. But yeah, I think you said last week that Peter Ka was not your favorite bit about this episode.
Speaker 2: He's just a bit grim, isn't it. I don't like. Yeah, the whole talking with his mouthful thing just immediately puts me off him completely. Yes, and like it's a funny episode, this one because it's sort of it is quite dark and quite serious, but also no one takes it remotely seriously. Really, Yes, and like he's just about to die and he's complained about spilling his ritz crackers on the floor. Yeah, it's so silly.
Speaker 1: That's very piece of kor do you know what this is for our Doctor Who fan listeners. But that line has the same vibe for me as in eleven Monthsters when he goes she chairs like chicken, I've spilt merits.
Speaker 2: He said, it's so camply. But yeah, another little crossover this week for the Doctor Who. Indeed, I always feel like should have been in Doctor Who. She feels like she should be the Doctor Well indeed, but she feels like she should have been there somewhere, And I was scrolling through a filmography and I was like, I'm sure she's been in it, but no, not.
Speaker 1: Yet, No, one day, one day. But yeah, we got lots of characters to discuss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm going to forget everyone's names. I'm clad I've got them listed on the screen here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Carrie is the first one we really meet.
Speaker 2: Marganna Robinson is so fun. Have you watched The Windsors? No? But I did.
Speaker 1: I did ever look through her filmography. I saw she she's in that.
Speaker 2: She plays in the Middle State's sister. Yeah, and I mean she's drawn an entire character from just she has a great ass, is all that all that's known by the public. She spins that into an entire character. She's largely playing a similar person who's playing here, I suppose. But I love Carrie and I don't know why. Like I normally would find that kind of character really annoying, but there's something quite endearing about her. I don't know why. She just sort of seems to get on with everyone, that's true. I don't know. She just seems to click quite well. And she's just a very personable person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, Yeah, because she's especially at the beginning, like she's painted to be very you know, self obsessed and like, you know, obsessed with her celebrity status and everything, but actually know every person that she meets, she is quite down to earth with them, that she is the most down to earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah really, and like they might bitch about a bit behind the back, but to a face that just seem to get on quite well with her. It might be very surface level, but they have nice little talks, especially her and Felisic Kendall's character when they have their little chat, I like carry yeah, and she's got a lot of the best lines.
Speaker 1: Of this Oh yeah. I think they did a good job of painting this sort of stereotypical Big Brother contestant. I've never watched a single episode of Big Brother in my life, but I mean I can just tell you know that that's the kind of character.
Speaker 2: Oh massively. I watched a couple of series back in the day when I was much younger, And yeah, she is an amalgam of a lot of those characters, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably nicer than a lot of them, to be honest. So then we've got b the waitress.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she's awful like she is? How is she still got a job in customer service?
Speaker 1: She is awful, She's a bit rude, but I kind of root for her against Carrie, like in that first I know we said Carrie is nice, but in that first scene, I do quite appreciate Bee's little comments, like when she says about another celebrity and she's like another celeb the implication.
Speaker 2: Being true true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is funny, and the way she stands up for herself against Reese's character as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how she still got a job? I don't know. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean it's London, isn't it.
Speaker 2: She works in a basement. I suppose how much lower can she go?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And who's next to show up? That'd be Reese as yes, Maurice Marris Wickham, Maurice Wickham who I'm getting the vibe of eleventh Doctor as a magician.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, with a touch of Rolf Harris about the beard and well other things as well, given how he talks to be at the beginning there, you see, my stiffy, what's the deal.
Speaker 2: With that is that? I don't has anyone ever called a ticket that not to my knowledge, I didn't really understand that, but I.
Speaker 1: Mean, yeah, he's I think he's just reaching, isn't he for like I guess maybe people do. I've not heard it.
Speaker 2: I did try to google, and I couldn't find him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, be careful googling stiffy. Yeah, but yeah, that and then when he's like, oh two of everything, like looking down at her chest, like yeah, he's not painted as very likable character, no pretentious.
Speaker 2: Oh guess he's the character and meant to be assuming he is the bad guy. Do you know?
Speaker 1: I was thinking about that. I couldn't. I couldn't really tell who was who you're supposed to think it is, but yeah, possibly him. I was just struck by. It's amazing, Like we're three series in, like that's eighteen episodes, isn't it? And thank you for confirming.
Speaker 2: Yes, wait till we get some specials and that'll throw the numbers right off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these different characters they've played, and they managed to make them so different and distinct, both obviously in terms of the performance, but also just like they look like they do look like completely different people. Yeah every time, And yeah, it's just just quite good.
Speaker 2: You say that. I did wonder about Steve whether he was reusing the teeth from Quite Night ye oh yes, because I got I got a distinct vibe of him from Quite nighting. I was like, is this is good brother that just went down a boring path?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the teeth possibly. And I also questioned if his wig with the ponytail is the same as Meg and Tom.
Speaker 2: And Jerry later Meg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, possibly BBC reusing things.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna think, like, I don't know, fourteen fifteen episodes later or however far apart there.
Speaker 1: Yes, then we have probably the best character Gene. Oh and she sweet Gene, Well she is, Yeah I think you think so. Now well, yeah, she's a little harmless old lady like wouldn't say bootle goose and then yeah, bless her. Yeah, well we'll maintain that illusion for as long as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've written down so many of her lines. I love her.
Speaker 2: She's just like I'm a.
Speaker 1: Dinner lady said, Michael's gips are mash that's me.
Speaker 2: They do enjoy doing the whole malopopisms thing in this series. Oh yes, so who's got another one that does it?
Speaker 1: She's a big one for it. Yeah, two coronetles.
Speaker 2: Impartially sighted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and her vapor alarm that keeps going off in argas.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice that on the first three watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is a brilliant character and feeling sure. I mean yeah, top.
Speaker 2: Top tier, brilliant, absolutely brilliant guest star there. And how excited she is by Steve's character's name. Yeah, so I guess it's just we want to give him something interesting. Yeah, it's a shortcut to a lot of jokes exactly. Just call him Kenneth Williams.
Speaker 1: He's just hilarious. How especially Gene finds it so funny and he's so over it, like he's heard it so many times. He's got no interesting comedy. Yeah, that line about it from a health and safety perspective, most of it's a joke. It's just great.
Speaker 2: Carry is like you must have an interesting character or whatever. He's like, no, no, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Again. He plays that so well, like that that job's worth who And also as soon as things start happening and like there's murder and everything, he starts trying to take charge and being like, right, anyone got any cones I need to cold and off this whole area.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, I've just got some hambag. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when he's looking at the lift and he's like, oh, so trouble with these Anderson's yeah, like he knows all the all the terminology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nob, it was crazy. There isn't a set of stairs though. That was my biggest gripe with this. I mean, there are the gripes of their episode, but from a purely logical logistical point of view, there should be some stairs. Yeah. Why is he not complaining about the lack of stairs exactly? I don't know how you just shut them off though I suppose m everyone would just left. Yeah, so if we got next oh Patricia Patricia geez?
Speaker 1: I mean great to have Felicity Kendall in the show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, fantastic. Yeah. Yeah, she plays the character so well. Yes, the character is all horrible woman, but she plays it very well. Their sense of entitlement is unreal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, are you blind?
Speaker 2: I take your arm? You do not take mine.
Speaker 1: What's your view on the whole thing of oh she's a blind woman go into an art exhibition?
Speaker 2: Well, as she says, she's partially cited, not blind, So and don't they is something like ninety percent of people defined as blind have some degree of vision anyway. Yes, so she'll be able to see something, She'll be able to like she's she's meant to have someone with her that would maybe be telling her it, Yes, exactly the bit if she can't see it quite in the detail that she needs too maybe to get the get across what's happening.
Speaker 1: I did think it was a bit unfair when Gene and Kenneth were saying, oh, you know, what's she going to get out of it? And can you believe this and all that, because yeah, it's nice to just be there and to get and to have things described to you and stuff.
Speaker 2: You can still get something out of it. Yeah, so yeah, And I suppose it's not necessarily the kind of tour where you could do it like a touch type tour where they where they let you feel the exhibits. It wouldn't really work here. But they do exist definitely. Mm hmmm. So yeah, No, it's probably just highlighting their age, I guess, And yes, I view on things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're view yeah exactly, they're they're well, no pun intended, but they're being a bit short sighted. Sorry, genuinely didn't mean that, but so that's everyone, then yes, our cast has arrived. We then get the projection of Elliot Quinn the artist, which I find quite amusing, right because I think the actor is doing a good job of being this pretentious artist who is not a performer and doing it quite flatly. Yes, but also was you know, adamant that he wanted to project his face onto a big thing? For me, it's that bit when he so smugly goes about those important questions and he goes, if all the world's are stage, then where does the audience sit? And he says in that really like smug way thought, yeah, so yeah, that's a bit weird. It's a bit wizard of Oz the big head, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find it a bit strange why the murderer has already killed someone? Why have they done one before and then left the rest of them to get this message and work out what's going on? Yeah, Like, wouldn't you have had all of them appear, have his message from beyond the grave and then start killing people?
Speaker 1: I suppose. I guess it's just because it makes a good opening to the episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, from an in universe point of view, it doesn't feel quite satisfying for me.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't have an answer for that. Yeah, sadly, but yeah, I mean it's quite assuming, you know, assuming there's there was no murder going on. It's still quite a very strange thing that he's so essentially this artist has learned that he's dying of a brain tumor. Yes, and so as planned in three years time to bring all these people together, as we obviously skipping ahead, but we find out that they've all received organs from his body. I mean, I can understand it as a concept. Is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a kind of artsy thing I can imagine someone doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, he says again that they've all been hand picked to attend, which again very sort of act Christie. And then there were none.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're all wildly different people. Yeah, no connections from different sort of classes as well. So you've got the fancy ones and you've got the very down to earthy people, and they want to be celebrity person and yeah, I mean you're missing some military person. She'd love a colonel in there. Usually, oh yeah, would.
Speaker 1: A justice of the Supreme Court or something. But yeah, so it's interesting. And then obviously the next big thing being discovering Neil's.
Speaker 2: Body, bloody carry would you really reach over and grab bits of him? Well, I guess that's her whole point, that she's uncultured. Yeah, yeah, she wouldn't know, But I'd like to think even the stupidest person knows not to interfere with the artwork.
Speaker 1: Well apparently not. But I like the way he's just like, well, I wouldn't touch the exhibitifire were you, like, this is his way, yeah, politely trying to tell Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the way you have that artsy shot of her looking in the blood and the reflection and just start checking her hair out. I think I missed that, did you. It's like a top down shot of her looking in it, and.
Speaker 1: I mean it's quite a painful way to go by the looks of it. Chair.
Speaker 2: I thought it'd be as quick as he made as it was for him. No, unless it did anything, yeah, especially vital I suppose, but yeah, you'd think it pick a while.
Speaker 1: Maybe it did, maybe, but then wouldn't he just I don't know, he could have saved himself. Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He'd lost his crackers, he didn't like living, spilt me. He just gave up there, and then I would have thought they'd have checked if that was me in that position, I'd be checking that this was even a real body. Yes, Like, wouldn't your first assumption be that it was a prop, that it's all part of it? Be it a very male made one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think on TV it's easy to be like, oh, is that real or not? But then I think if you're there in person, because he falls out of the chair and everything, I don't know, maybe it's a bit more obvious in real life, Like maybe I don't know, but no, you're right, you would be like you would want to check. But I guess they just want to speed it along a bit.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, isn't it. You've only got twenty five minutes. I suppose to squeeze all this in. You cut the boring stuff.
Speaker 1: Another great line from Gene We have a dinner lady at school who's a man.
Speaker 2: I could just tell that FIODA show was having a whale of a time, Yes.
Speaker 1: Because that's the great thing. For the first twenty minutes she gets to do all this batty old lady and then then it turns and she gets to do the del just you know, villain stuff spoilers. Well, if you haven't learned by now not to listen before watching it, then yeah, or.
Speaker 2: We missed her other great line when they mentioned about them all being drawn there for a reason, and she talked about a neighbor having a citron Picasso. She was there.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just genius, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 1: As if that could have anything.
Speaker 2: It's not that she has a has a citron Picasso. A neighbor did. Yeah, So Kenneth ran off to find a fire escape. Yeah, and they find that's locked up. So he's not happy because it's billowed from the outside. This is where his mind first goes. And then we try to get in the lift. Yeah, get some more carry on Joe.
Speaker 1: Or to carry on? Yeah, you thinkers in the crack, Yeah, oh, in me, in for me. It's again, it's just the way it's shot as well, with her face right up to the camera and har in the background, you know, and she's you can see her face just being like, oh, make the joke, and then just like oh sorry, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It really is beautifully staged. And then the annoying bees died rest in peace.
Speaker 1: Be Yes, I thought you meant like a bee, and the annoying bee has died, like in swat with a newspaper. Yes, she's buzzed off.
Speaker 2: She's buzzed off with her phone ram down her throat.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's weird, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't even remember there being a phone, but apparently the worst one I had to.
Speaker 1: I know ninety percent of this is going to be me calling out Jean's lines. But I just fucking love when she's like, I'm not murders she ruled. But i'd see she's been strangulated, wouldn't you that she doesn't just so strangled, but strangulated.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. Oh she's so.
Speaker 1: I watch a whole series of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just her bumbling o.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Stick her in a murder mystery as a regular character, yes, just bumbling around as the detective's best friend. Yes.
Speaker 1: And then how she's like, oh, I haven't been round it all yet, just like that, there's been two people murdered. Yeah, I don't know if that's supposed to be. Is that like a double bluff of Like she seems like she's not bothered by it, and that makes you think, Oh, it's just supposed to be funny, not that actually she's behind it.
Speaker 2: I struggled to think that because I obviously couldn't remember back to how I first viewed it from years ago, so I didn't know it was her, but I couldn't tell whether because to me it just screamed blatantly obviously was her, because she doesn't seem to be scared and like she doesn't seem to care whether that's meant to be her just being a bit batty and doesn't really appreciate the severity of what's going on around her. Yeah, I'm not really sure. I think it is.
Speaker 1: It's battiness, and it's just as well the tone of the episode, like there's a lot of broad humor in it, like the piter castuf at the beginning as well. Yeah, and I think you're supposed to be watching it and just think it's part of that, like it's just a joke.
Speaker 2: I guess that she's she's.
Speaker 1: More interested in seeing the rest of the exhibit, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but everyone else seems concerned. Yeah, Well maybe maybe Patricia doesn't, but I don't know. She's just a little bit of herself anyway, so she maybe wouldn't outwardly show it as much. She just like leaves Patricia and she's like, I'm going to put you with her, Yeah, and you can stay here. I don't know, like she's a toddler or something. Yeah, and I'm going to go off and see the rest of the exhibit slash find out what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a little bit patronizing. And when she's like Carrie like in the film.
Speaker 2: Not Dead. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The next note I've got is about Carry being poisoned, So I don't know if there's anything before that.
Speaker 2: Oh, we got the help, we got Carry and Patricia's little chat, Oh about the boob falling out? Didn't I see your booth the way that Carrie is like, yes, yes, she's so proud, like she just didn't I witness I don't know your wedding or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she only had her eyesight for so long.
Speaker 1: So and how lucky they managed to fall in that window?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my god, on the how many books you've written? I've written one of you for fifteen years. That's twelve books.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, almost as good as my mask.
Speaker 2: I have lowered myself.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, the best way again, it's such really good, like broad comic writing, there really is very funny.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and then she starts starts dying. I just like that.
Speaker 1: How you know, she's going on about writing murder mysteries and how it's so easy to get yourself bogged down and cliches, and then meanwhile she's in the background, like.
Speaker 2: It's likely to focus cliche death. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it? I mean, is it poor or is it acid or something? Or I assumed acid burns, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think any poison would work quite that quickly.
Speaker 1: No, I was wondering that.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, poison has to be es like absorbed into you, doesn't it to work. Yeah, So I don't think it could. It could any of them would affect you that quickly.
Speaker 1: No, that's true. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So acid, Yeah, I assume it was acid, and there's smoke.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and it's good for her because she downs them so quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice bit foreshadowing when earlier Gene had said about the champagne or it just burns or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did. I thought there might be something like that and I missed that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's some of these murders that, obviously, once you find out it was Gene was behind them all. I do wonder when she had time to section and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the acid, did you just leave a bottle with acid in just lying around hoping someone would drink it?
Speaker 1: Mm?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: And when did she kill be? No idea, because wasn't she with Patricia that whole time, so you would be she was. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: When did they body up? Was it just immediately after the video message? I think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But then I suppose I suppose Patricia wouldn't notice if she slipped away. No, true, true, I mean she didn't even notice carry died, so literally in front of her death, she just chatted away, and then she probably just slipped back in and carried on the conversation and she wouldn't even notice she'd gone exactly.
Speaker 1: Then we've got Patricia going and hiding in the toilet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even a point of potentially dying. She won't sit in the first doll where it smells. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is, but the way she says that line, I'm sorry that stinks. She sounds exactly like Zoey want to make her right. I can see that you closed your eyes. It could be it could literally be Zoey want to make he just like, I'm sorry, that stinks, I can see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just says it to no one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but that's a good moment when she's crouching on the toilet and hiding, and then this person that you don't know who it is is peering under the door, and then you see in the mirror when she straightens up that it's Gane. That's a nice reveal.
Speaker 2: It is a lovely reveal. And I like that it's sort of two thirds of the way through, it's not right at the end. Yeah, so you do get to see her knowing knowing it's her while she's still playing the batty old lady. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I wonder if they did that because they didn't feel they could stretch, like hiding who she was till right at the end. No. Possibly.
Speaker 1: But it's also it also gives her lots of opportunities for us to see, like from the other side, like we now see how she's acting, like behind the scenes as it were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 1: I just love when she's scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing her hands and then she peers out from behind the wall and goes.
Speaker 2: Ah, just swaps character. It's so good. I also love the imagery of Patricia in her lovely jacket and shoes and stuff in the grottiest toilet you've ever seen. Oh yeah, for her anyway, just like onto this toilet.
Speaker 1: Bowl frantically googling. That's the funniest thing when you just hear let me check that. Here's what I found on the web for how to use a stiletto as a weapon. That is that made me absolutely crack up.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't really feelly need a guide on that. Surely it's quite self explandenty.
Speaker 1: Oh you think so, because this isn't siletto heels are actually named after a siletto, which is a type of knife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a thin blade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hence hence it's sort of self explanatory, Like you say, But I suppose she can't.
Speaker 2: Do anything in her life as she really Yeah, she probably had everything done for her.
Speaker 1: But just that, yeah, just the way that technology just like outs her so funny, and she probably was getting away with it, she was actually leaving, yes, and then quite chilling when Jeane turns around and she's like, is that rupid?
Speaker 2: Oh it's so good. It is so Patricia's dead horrible, isn't it with the eyes? Yeah, I mean I don't know how she's killed her, but she pulled her eyes out, which is awful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hate anything to do with eyes, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Reese's great line of well flush it away. Yeah. I love how this episode walks the line between very silly and very serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To be fair, it's a good encapsulation of the show, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is very dark, but very broadly funny as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, at the moments it really shouldn't be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, yes, we discover the truth that they're all recipients of Elliott's organs.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know what point that clicked for me. I feel like it wasn't that hidden like it was. It was quite well foreshadowed, with various bits that you could pick up on if you're paying attention, Maybe more so than I think some of their other episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think Patricia mentions about when I.
Speaker 2: Had my op. Yeah, but you've had her with a burn on her neck be.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't think it was as hidden as maybe they are in other episodes that detracted from it. I still enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: No, But then the fact that you know what Gene's motivation is is more of a reveal.
Speaker 2: I suppose, yeah, yeah, all links back and that she's not happy about it, how they've abused the abused these gifts. But I mean, she's she's stretching it with a lot of them, Oh she is, That's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's some of them are quite you can understand what she's saying.
Speaker 2: I feel there's only a couple of them that she's justified.
Speaker 1: Like the liver you can understand. Yeah, yeah, But by the time she gets to the heart and saying that doesn't really make any sense. But it's she doesn't even care that it makes sense. She's just like, you know, still or whatever she says.
Speaker 2: I'm an excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she just didn't like the fact that Elliott donated all his organs. Probably I think she liked she because she's very like, you know, the way she kisses that big head as it were. But yes, so I just realized I've skipped over as well when she suffocates Kenneth with a plastic bag. Yeah, which is horrible to watch, it is, And my question is, how on earth do they film that safely.
Speaker 2: I guess you'd take a big breath and hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd rather not do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but every time you see this, because that's like a trope in a lot of stuff that someone will get suffocated with the bag over the head and they immediately always go to grab at the neck. You just easily jab a hole through the mouth. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it all it really really winds me up. Like then, this fulture style that really annoys me that I've only even seen that done once in a thing where the actually did just poke a hole in the mouth and it was a joke at that thing. I can't what it was in.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, it's just a cliche, I guess. Yeah, but this episode kind of runs on cliches, guess exactly. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I don't know how you would have done it safely. Actually it does take a while. Oh yeah, yeah, you can hold your breath for quite a while. Yes, And she doesn't do it for long, So I suppose it's that. Yeah, she's so good, I mean, perfect casting for you, and assure, isn't it, Because she can do the soft and the battery, but then she can the steel and the like the villainy.
Speaker 2: Because I don't know if I've seen her in anything where she has done that sort of the dark side. I do think of her as a much more funny character. Hmmm. I mean I've not seen her in loads of stuff. I know she's a she's a big name. Yeah, yeah, I've never seen her as an actual I don't know that kind of strong role that she becomes by the end. So she goes to her little rant. She complains that Morris having tied him up with ribbons, apparently I feel I may have gone a bit more. I don't know, belt embraces. Yeah, I was going to try and kill someone and they unconscious and night all the time in the world to tie him up. Yeah, did you see the final twist coming that he was going to break out?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I did the first time. But yeah, I guess it makes sense. Well, that part of it makes sense. I have questions about the other aspects of it, but yeah, which other aspects? Well, so we, you know, skip forward and we find that he has got free, and presumably the implication is that he has put her heart into the artwork, and so he's he's and he's managed to get the Turner Prize for it. Yeah, but I'm just like, you know, aren't people going to be questioning where he got these organs from and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Would you?
Speaker 1: And there's still a lot of dead bodies around that he's had to deal.
Speaker 2: With clear up? Yeah? What would the presumption though, just be that you'd that they were from a butcher or they were prosthetic or yes, I suppose it would. Would you even question that they were real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I guess I was being too literal about it. Yeah, but then, like what made this exhibit special? Like, is the whole point of the exhibit that this guy's donated his organs and look, this was what it would look like kind of thing, and these aren't really them because you can't it can't be that they really are the organs because then, like you say, how's he got them? So what is actually the exhibit?
Speaker 1: Oh? I see, so they were never real as far as that critic.
Speaker 2: And all of the people coming and the person that awarded them the prize, Oh, what do they think the exhibit is? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they probably do think it's just a representation.
Speaker 2: I feel like it loses all of it's what makes it special if you have to hide the fact that you've killed a load of people to make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also the fact that it's you know, it was Elliot's and he donated his own organs. Yeah, Like if they're not your own organs, then what's the point, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of just a load of tanks with somebody bits in.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it kind of it works as a like, oh, that's a little twist there, but yeah, and it doesn't really make much sense.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, now I think about it, I don't think i'd really questioned it too much. I guess you're not meant to. He's just working with what he's got. I suppose at the end he's work free. He's probably knocked her over and doing so and she's maybe died and he's gone, well what can we do here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that reporter at the end, who apparently is a real.
Speaker 2: Reporter, I feel like I recognized them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, her delivery and her breathing is awful. Every Like every few words, she's like like massive, big loud breaths.
Speaker 2: That's just her. Maybe that's how she does her reporting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, you know, where's your technique, Colum Muriel, what you're doing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean quite quite a delicious final line there. Obviously you put your heart into it.
Speaker 2: Not quite so. Yeah, it's a fun one. I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: It is than I remembered.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm glad. I was a bit worried when you said last week that you didn't remember it being all that great. Yeah, it's a fun It's not one I really rewatch much, but I do enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's that problem of a murder mystery though, that once you know who's done it. Yeah, it maybe works on a second watch, but after that it's you've got a lot less out of it. I feel, Yeah, unless you go long enough that you can forget who it is, but in this case that you can. Yeah. So what do you rate it?
Speaker 1: Out of nine?
Speaker 2: I do really like it. It's a lot of fun. I don't think the end is quite as quite as satisfying, maybe as some episodes, but it's one of those ones where I don't really care because I enjoy the rest of the episode so much, and all the characters and just the writing and the jokes, and it's just it's just so well done that I don't really mind at all at the end, doesn't is a little bit messy. I go as seven. Yeah, yeah, I go seven.
Speaker 1: That's good. How about well I'm similar. What I had written down was a six because I felt I feel similar to you that I think it's for me. I just I love the bold mix of the comedy and the darkness. But yeah, I found me ending a bit confusing. And yeah, I just this is quite above middling for me, but not quite as high as some others. So yeah, six works for me.
Speaker 2: Very fair. And did you spot the hair? Yes? I did? Did you I thought I didn't? Ah, done, you can have the honors.
Speaker 1: Okay, well no. It was so funny because I watched it in the last week. I tend to watch it two or three times of over the week to get ready, and I hadn't spotted it in the first two watches. And then I watched it just before recording, and I suddenly thought, oh, I wonder where the hair is. I've not really been looking, and I glanced up and there it was. So it's the scene where they're trying to get out of the gate. Yes, And then it cuts to a shot with mannekins, like a wide shot and it's literally tucked behind one of the manikins. Yeah, from the camera's point of view.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, I did have a Google just in case I thought it was going to be in those you know, there was like the sort of cupboards when Reese is looking for the bolt, cuz, oh yeah, fully expected it was going to be in those cupboards of crap. Yeah, and it wasn't. I was like, oh shit, I don't know how a clue where it is. It could be anywhere in this whole downstairs basement. But yeah, well done there, it was well done. Thank you. Eighteen minutes for anyone that's curious. Cool. So that's private view it is. That's series three.
Speaker 1: Series three wrapped up. Yep, it's been sorry, but I don't know what my voice just then?
Speaker 2: Are you doing a voice on purpose? No?
Speaker 1: I was trying to say, like, it's been a good series, but I went.
Speaker 2: Really try doing the rose from the Titian. It's been eighty for it's been eighteen so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just looking at what I've scored the six episodes and like there was a big dip for empty Orchestra, but other than that, they've all been fairly high. Yeah we should just yeah, never speak of empty orchestra again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, Yeah, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Do think it's been another really strong series, especially the beginning and end.
Speaker 2: Yeah I was an empty oxtra. Yeah, a solid series. Yeah, but it is the end of the series. It is and do you know what the end of the series means.
Speaker 1: It means time for a nerdy quiz.
Speaker 2: We love a quiz slightly more prepared this time. Hopefully we've had question checked.
Speaker 1: We have had questions checked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't have duplicates in theory.
Speaker 1: Yes, it'd be very funny if they're still as a duplicate and then just didn't check. It wouldn't surprise me that much if we just went yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I mean they might be very related, very still the questions, but about something slightly different.
Speaker 1: Yes, he did tell me he didn't really read the questions. He just looks see if any of the answers were the same. Right, So, yeah, this should be fun. But yeah, the thing is we've screwed up both the quizzes we've done so far in some way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm lucky.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens with this one, right, Well, my first question for you is about the Devil of Christmas, Hoping it's not too difficult for a first question. The police interview with Dennis Fulcher is terminated at what time?
Speaker 2: Oh? Fuck?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I can hear him saying it. Yeah, I can hear him saying a time. It's quite I'm gonna have to get the minute, aren't they as well? Yeah? I want to say it's four something PM, like four thirty six.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately not, No, you were right with the four.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like tea time. Sort it's sixteen oh five.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's all right.
Speaker 2: I feel less bad about some of the questions I've got in my list. Okay, so my question for Devila Christmas? Which Shakespeare character does Dennis say he felt Reese's character Ralph should have played oh, but doesn't know if he did.
Speaker 1: Yes, I always felt he had something in him.
Speaker 2: Prosper it. Fuck, yes, yes, get in.
Speaker 1: Right for the bill. I think this is a really easy one. Malcolm, Archie, Kevin, and Craig spend the majority of the episode arguing over the bill for their meal. But how much should the bill come to?
Speaker 2: Why didn't I do more research for this?
Speaker 1: It is a round number.
Speaker 2: It's about two hundred quid, isn't it? That's exactly ye right, that's odd that it would be exactly two hundred.
Speaker 1: Well, they never specify that it's exactly two hundred, but they use the figure two hundred a few times when they refer to it.
Speaker 2: So that's why I went with that cat. So yeah, correct, Okay, mine's on a similar theme. And because you wanted the minute in the last one, I want the exact amount. Oh how much did the group lose on the diddlum that was part of their like for the horse thing story with the horses? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It starts with a four.
Speaker 2: So did the time? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm going to say four hundred and sixty four thousand or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, four hundred and sixty nine thou ah see, I was close. I was close. You know what was going to give you five hundred originally and give you like a bonus of half point or something if you've got it exact. You wanted the exact time of exactly.
Speaker 1: That's fair enough, that's fair. Moving on to riddle of the Sphinx. Where does Nina claim that she works?
Speaker 2: Oh? Does she work in the canteen at the university, like in a like a restaurant at the university.
Speaker 1: Not quite, it's not. No, it's not the university. It's Gregg's.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought Gregg's the first thing. I thought, you should have said it, You should have gone with your friend. No, I should, I should. I thought that there. I was like, they use public, public placement like that. Now now they went off. Damn O. Mine feels stupidly easy. Here, Okay, what is Professor Squire's middle name? Hector? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was easy. Sorry, right, Empty Orchestra our favorite episode. Roger says that after leaving the company, he's going to go and visit his brother in which US state?
Speaker 2: I really start revising for these watching before California? No or the brother in Florida?
Speaker 1: Do say much of.
Speaker 2: Fuck? I'm did so badly this time. Here's me wanting to change my questions on the fly.
Speaker 1: I haven't I want to What is the thirty sixth word in the script?
Speaker 2: What song do the Hen Party sing along to? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh titanium? Yeah David Getter featuring Seer, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sure off. Oh you're going to get all of these now? The next one token easy.
Speaker 1: One Oh my god. Okay, so we're on to diddle little dumpling. Yes, what was on the videos that David tried to donate to oxfam.
Speaker 2: Oh, Angelina Vallerina correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, but they wouldn't take them because nobody has videos anymore, the library does.
Speaker 2: Oh, this seems so easy. Where was David's potential upcoming business trip to Italy? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do that's more specific than that.
Speaker 2: He doesn't say, no, just yeah, to sell what? Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that wasn't your question right? And finally, private view.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that the answer to this is in my notes that I've written for the episode.
Speaker 1: What is the name of the school where Gene is a dinner lady?
Speaker 2: Oh? Fucking oh, you said it earlier. It's something like it's like Sister Mary's. Are is that it? No Ah? Did you say that? You can keep guessing St Mary's. No, I don't know. You're close some Michael's Michael, Oh, not terribly. This is this is a marathon, not a sprint. We're going for a whole nine series.
Speaker 1: Yes, that'll average yourself out.
Speaker 2: I'm going to claw some points back. Ye, what position did carry finish in Big Brother eight? She got she was six.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my god, that's done so well.
Speaker 2: I got one rot look at that. I got five out of six. Yeah, and I got two. Sorry, I'm going to get after get crawel.
Speaker 1: Yea, you are researching well my questions too hard?
Speaker 2: No, I probably weren't, but I was just it's been too long since I've watched them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh I feel bad now, No.
Speaker 2: No, don't, don't they weren't. There weren't questions where I don't remember them ever. Mentioning a thing. Yeah, I just can't remember what the thing was that I'm trying to remember. So three series in, we're on twelve to eight. Okay, No, I'm not crazily behind, but I've got some making up to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was quits for series three. Oh I've not even won one yet. Best I've done this draw.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so sorry. I have to throw the next one.
Speaker 2: I'm annoyed at myself. Let down myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you let yourself down, You've let the podcast down. Yeah no, but yeah, we will be back in due course with series four.
Speaker 2: We will Did you spot our hair? We'll tell you where it is next time.
Speaker 1: Yes, leave you on a cliffhanger. But yeah, we'll see you in Zanzibar. Yay I like, yes, isn't it? But until then, I think it's time to get our fingers in the crack and close the door. Close the door on number nine. But you never really leave, do you? No, you don't.
Speaker 2: This one went off the rails.
Speaker 1: It did. Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.