Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome back to Local AG.
Speaker 2: It's July tenth, twenty twenty five Melody Divers from the Bedford County ag Advisory Board and it's time for our twelfth episode of Local AGG. Thanks to Media Squatch here in Bedford, Virginia, we have been able to spread the word about the vast agriculture community here in Bedford County. So last month we chatted with the folks from Bedford Urban Gardens. They're a five oh one c nonprofit organization here in the town of Bedford. A few days after our podcast, they were awarded with a fifteen hundred dollars grant from the Greater Lynchburg Community Foundation, So we wanted to take the time to congratulate them on receiving the grant and thank them again for a wonderful June interview. If you haven't already, go ahead and check out that podcast and give it a listen. Now for today's episode, joining us, we have Mackenzie Mutter and Joys. Mackenzie is going to talk to us about all things Bedford County, equine related and more. Joy is a repeat guest and a co host to the podcast. Joy serves on our county's ag Advisory Board representing District two. Additionally, Joy serves as the Bedford County Fairs Superintendent.
Speaker 1: Welcome to both of you, Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to start with you. Mackenzie. If her name sounds familiar, it's because she works locally here at the USDA's Farm Service Agency. She's the program Analyst. I know that she sees a lot of local farmers and producers on a regular basis. Besides her organized skill set at the office, she is also known for her enthusiasm and vast knowledge for horses. In the world of equine, Mackenzie is a sole instructor additionally at Mackenzie Moutter Equine Services and that's her personal barn where she specializes in Western writing, lessons and youth programs.
Speaker 1: And there's more. She is a Level two certified horse show judge through the Open Horse Show Association. Last, but not least.
Speaker 2: She is the adult leader for the Bedford Eclectic for Eah Club. Oh And in her free time, she's an active member on our Counties Fairboard. Girl, you are one smart and busy person, so welcome to the podcast. First, before we chat about some of the deeper focus questions. Let's chat about some background. So we're gonna start with tell us about your barn, your writing lesson program, when you started providing these programs.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I've been teaching lessons since twenty sixteen. I started at the barn that I actually grew up learning to write at right after high school. I taught there along with another barn local here in Manita. After spending a few years there, I actually moved to Franklin County for a few years where I taught my own program there and kind of branched out to include some of those folks in Franklin County as well as maintaining the clients that I had here in Bedford. And then actually just recently at the start of twenty twenty five, we moved the program solely back to Bedford and I've been here for seven months now, working out of my own facility here and just continuing.
Speaker 4: To teach the Bedford folks.
Speaker 3: Like I said, this is, I've been teaching lessons since twenty and sixteen, and just in the past three years have have moved into my own program where I'm this sole instructor versus working you know, out of several different barns from the area.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: What's the age range of folks that you're currently working with?
Speaker 3: So typically we start as young as four years old and then I have I think right now my oldest.
Speaker 4: Student is sixty six.
Speaker 3: So I usually tell everybody from four to eighty four, if you want to learn how to ride a horse, and you have the capabilities to do it, then we are more than happy to have you.
Speaker 1: Excellent and do some folks.
Speaker 2: Are most of your clients newbies or are they folks that maybe have moved here and just want to keep up with their skill set?
Speaker 1: Like what does that look like?
Speaker 4: So I have a pretty diverse group.
Speaker 3: I have some girls who have been with me since they were six and seven years old and are going on there seventh and eighth year of riding. So that's pretty awesome because I've been with them from the beginning and seeing them turn into young adults. And then I've also got a great group of beginner students. Most everybody is a local in some way, shape or form. I've actually got girls from Bedford and all surrounding counties. They come from Franklin County, Bottatat County, or Reynold County, I've got some folks from Campbell County, so it's kind of neat that Bedford kind of gets to be a central location for them to come and make like their horse barn home. But I would say that the majority of the girls in my program are from here in Bedford, so that's kind of cool too that they get to connect their riding with me into the different four h and f f A opportunities along with you know, their academic type stuff, so it gets to be full circle we do within the lesson program and having the horses. Some of my girls are ff A officers like that. Just here recently we took horses to the Food for America days at uh Stanton River, So so that's neat to get to connect, you know, outside of just riding to help them kind of build as they become you know, young adults and have their roles within their different you know, community groups.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Am.
Speaker 2: I correct that taking and doing these lessons, the end goal is for a show and showmanship for most people.
Speaker 3: I would say the eighty five percent of the girls that oh and guys that ride with me do have goals of showing horses, you know, some sort of competition. But I do have a few that just enjoy it. They enjoy the atmosphere, they enjoy just being around the horses. They just want to learn and just enjoy kind of having that free time in the afternoon to come relax and be around the horses, try to ride that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: So, while we are.
Speaker 3: Very like competitive oriented like that is, like I say, eighty five percent we go show, we do that sort of thing, I'm happy to include those that just want to be around horses. Yeah, just for the recreational purpose of riding, being around horses, learning that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So, so if someone has the desire but does not own a horse, how does that work?
Speaker 3: That is my specialty, my most well, with the exception of a handful, most all of my students ride my personal horses. I don't have very many that own their own, which so I'm a first generation cowgirl. My my family doesn't doesn't have horses. I didn't come from a family that, you know. I was put on a horse as soon as I could walk. I had to figure that out that that was something I wanted to do on my own. And at eight years old, when I threw the cheerleading stuff to the side, in the soccer and said, no, that's not for me. I've been been on a horse every week since I was eight, So for me, the opportunity to do that thanks to miss Leslie Morris from here in Bedford. She offered up you know, any and every horse that she had gave me the opportunity to find my way in the horse world without having to come from that kind of background. And I had decided as I reached teenage yeers that that that was special and that that's not something that is available for a lot of folks. So I kind of pride myself in the fact that I make sure that the opportunities are there without having to go through.
Speaker 4: The expense and.
Speaker 3: The accommodations it takes to to own a horse, that that you can do all this if you show up and you work hard, and you know you put in the work for it. So I think the parents thank me greatly for that too. So that not everybody has horses in their backyard, but yeah, absolutely, So back to your original question, No, you do not need to have your own horse to get started with lessons. I've got a great variety of all different levels and types of horses, so most that come to me. Ride are programs lesson horses versus you know, bringing a horse to me or boarding a horse with me, something like that.
Speaker 1: But you can board a horse.
Speaker 4: I don't do any boarding. You don't know boarding.
Speaker 3: But we do a lot of haul in lessons where you can haul in and use the arena and the facility and get someone on one time at the farm if if that's that's what.
Speaker 2: You want, Okay, it seems like you have like a wide net of that you can reach folks different yeah, skill sets.
Speaker 1: At what they have. I love that.
Speaker 2: So it's very attainable. And of course this is very Bedford pro podcast. So why do you think Bedford is a good fit for what you're doing?
Speaker 3: So I'm obviously from Bedford, so I wouldn't I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Really, that's why we mosied back this way. So Bedford is is as much as it's cow and hay country. We've got a lot of equine involvement here in Bedford. Bedford's a big county and pretty much anywhere you go you've got some nice barns. We've got a lot of nice lesson programs and training, uh well, horse trainers throughout the county.
Speaker 4: So for me this is home.
Speaker 3: We're pretty centralized as far as have an opportunity for UH horse shows. We've obviously got you know, like beautiful UH beautiful country to ride in. So it works out really well, not not being off the grid as far as getting to haul and have have those horse shows available to us, and then just being in a good spot to connect with with others around you.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm sure you have listeners or I want to get involved, or my my children would love this or bright grandkids. So if that's the case, how can they get up with Miss Mackenzie.
Speaker 3: So my personal Facebook page, I try to share a lot.
Speaker 4: Of what we're doing there.
Speaker 3: Any we do have some UH summer camps and sometimes spring break and fall type camps, so I try to be very proactive in having a detailed flyer for those and sharing those to my personal Facebook page as well as the Bedford community pages. So I have a lot of information and a lot of UH pictures and that such that if you check out my personal Facebook page you can see from there, and then aside from that, just contacting me directly, I don't I don't have a farm page. That's something that I should probably look into to make it a little easier to tuck it next yeah six, Yeah, but that's the easiest way is Facebook or just reaching out to me personally, you know, via email or text.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And if after this program, if somebody does want to get up with you, we can point them, we can get choked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can get them to you. Okay.
Speaker 2: So that was a lot of good information. So I don't I wasn't going to mention this, but I just can't help it. I was Mackenzie's fifth grade reading teacher, and I remember her loving horses, and I was also a horse girl, not like you, though. I just had my Mandy and my Lucky in the backyard and I was just a recreational backyard person. But I remember when you got older, your mom would always brag on you about how you could back that trailer up all by yourself and you did not need anybody to drive the truck for you. So I know you've made them proud more than just that. But I remember your mama talking about that she doesn't know how to that's a big good call.
Speaker 1: I listen here, be nice to your mama.
Speaker 2: Oh, but she is very proud of that, So that was that is fun, all right, mackenzie, go ahead and tell us what level two certified horse show judge means and really break that down for the listeners. I'm assuming everybody has seen a nose about horse shows to some degree, but they, I'm guessing, don't know the details and preparation required for you to be a judge and just the event itself to just okay, give us a peace, find the curt sure.
Speaker 3: So I originally was certified as an open show judge through North Carolina State University. They host a judging clinic and testing seminar every fall. It's open to anybody that is eighteen and over. So it's the year that I turned eighteen. I immediately booked that for that fall and went tested there.
Speaker 4: You can test.
Speaker 3: In any There's four different kind of categories for your disciplines. You've got Western hunt seat, UH saddle seat, and a non trotting division so like gated horses, so you can pick your specialty or if you want to be broad, go for all of them.
Speaker 4: So I got started there.
Speaker 3: I was certified in all four categories, held that judging card for several years and then as my lesson program grew and I had more students that wanted to go show. It kind of makes it hard to be available on the weekends to go judge and then also haul kids to horse shows. So I had a little lapse there where I focus mainly just on growing my own my own students and and hauling them to more shows and actually participating versus uh being you know, in a judging position. So most recently kind of going back to the n c s U certification. Uh, it's a little more centralized. I guess most of those judges are going to be in the uh North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee kind of area, and they're just uh, you know, resources that are mainly for for that kind of more centralized location. The start of this year, I branched out to the Open Horse Show Association, which is nationally recognized, so your information is shared. You kind of broaden your horizons there as far as making connections to to go to bigger shows. They have some actual like virtual opportunities where you can can judge a virtual horse show online. I haven't done that yet, but it's on it's on the list to check that out and do something you know, kind of different there. So they have three levels to test at your level one, level two, level three. I tested for level two and specialized in the ranch horse category. That's what our big focus is for my lesson program, so that that gives your level two as somebody who's moderately exp sperience. So I've which it's wild to think about now, but I'm two years away from ten years experience as an open show judge, plus the experience that we had through FFA and and that sort of thing with horse judging and with four H and f f A, so it get the opportunity to travel, connect with a lot of great associations and organizations. So I'm I'm interested in kind of broadening a little bit now that I've kind of bumped up to that national level there holding that that certification card, but basically to horse show you're paying for somebody's opinion. So but with that, you know you have you have association rule books and uh organization rules. So it's a lot of homework that goes into going to prepare for a horse show to know exactly you know, what's expected of you so that you're educated and that you're showing up to you.
Speaker 4: Know, provide your your very best eye for.
Speaker 3: What you're seeing and be able to manage a crowd and make good management decisions kind of on a whim.
Speaker 4: Uh So I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Well, I would think just like if I was a parent signing my child up to do lessons, just that classificational what she's doing. What she's doing, Like, I think that is a very good marketing point for you.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: It is good to go kind of branch out and go. The horse world, just like everything else is kind of ever changing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Styles, rules, all all the things update all the time. So so going out and being in a little different atmosphere, Uh, I get to bring back a lot of good knowledge and and kind of grow and and keep up.
Speaker 4: To date with what's going on because it's ever changed. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I really enjoy horse horse judging for the network inside of it, because you know, you get to meet a lot of other trainers and instructors, and you know, just if you without that opportunity, I would miss out on the branching out aspect because I wouldn't leave. I would never leave better.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, good, Now moving on to your next role.
Speaker 2: You are the leader of the Bedford Eclectic for H Club and this isn't solely equine base.
Speaker 1: But let listeners know what this club is and how they can get involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So our Bedford Eclectic for H Club, we started it in twenty twenty, which was a rollercoaster that was COVID year, So we did a lot of virtual meetings and virtual kind of projects where they worked on it independently at home and got to share through a zoom call. So we had a lot of learning curves that came with that, but it was very cool to still kind of be connected and I think that's what helped the club kind of grow, give a lot of youth the opportunity to be involved in something rather than just sitting at home. We had you know, projects, and we're able to still kind of network and come together.
Speaker 4: So that was fun.
Speaker 3: While we are kind of recognized for the successes that we've had with hypology and horse judging within the Bedford Eclectic Club, we started it to have more of a community based for AHE club. When I was growing up, our four age club did all sorts of things and I wanted to kind of be able to bring that back. So we've done a lot of horticulture. We've done a lot of gardening. We've of course got hipology, horse judging. We've had some meetings where we taught the kids how to sew, so the life skills stuff, we've We've done a lot of community projects, some toy drives around the holidays, just anything to get the youth group together and providing you know, either life skills for them to gain or letting them give back to their community and show the impact and you know kind of how special that is a perspective that they may not have had otherwise. Uh, that's been our focus and our goals for the club.
Speaker 4: This year.
Speaker 3: We had we had a little little break. We had some girls, you know, kind of growing up and moving into some more f FA chapter activities and stepping into officer roles through f f A, and.
Speaker 4: Had a younger group that was kind of up and coming.
Speaker 3: So we're at a you know, a good stage with them now where they're ready to take on some more responsibility and be club leaders and things like that.
Speaker 4: So we're really excited.
Speaker 3: About having an inclusive group and including the Bedford ad Club also to participate in a lot of the opportunities at this year's County Fair. So it's exciting to see a whole group of youth that have not previously been involved, uh make start making plans and getting right for the fair this year. So I think that's going to be a big focus for everyone. Yeah, is participating and trying something new, you know, at the County Fair.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to commend you personally because I've noticed two times in this interview that you have given a compliment to someone or a group from your childhood, and so you saw the positives of your youth, but I want to compliment you because you want to make sure that those same opportunities are for this generation. So I don't know if you even like realize you said that twice, but that was.
Speaker 5: My takeaway too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, look at her being all grown up.
Speaker 5: And I didn't teach Mackenzie. I'm just a little bit older. So it's really fun to watch her go from being this like tiny little blonde who was like always decked out in her huge four age jacket. And I was like, who is this kid who's just like always wrapping for age to now having her own forage cloud. That's right.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about that coming up here and kind of thinking about some of the things we were going to go over about as like thinking to myself, how do I decide that I wanted to do all? But that was funny that you mentioned that because I can remember like you coming in and helping with the f FA chapter and and you know, being kind of a pillar there for you know, you weren't you weren't our ag teacher where you were the cool person that was coming in who had been there and done that of somebody to look up to. And uh, yeah, I mean all of that makes an influence back in. Uh.
Speaker 4: It takes somebody like that to kind.
Speaker 3: Of spark the interest in in the youth so that you have that continue that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's sad and it's cool that the other four h LB mentioned is also ran by another young woman, Samantha Holger now who is who is another product and alumni of that clubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really cool, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I think we've kind of just about talked about this next question. I have some focus questions here that go beyond the surface. I feel I feel comfortable that our listeners are understand the horse world YEP, pretty pretty well right now. But besides riding an actual horse. What are some of the most impactful life skills that youth develop when participating in equine programs.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite part about getting to work with the girls that I do and seeing that as they become teenagers and young adults, the practical life skills that they are gaining by I don't want to say, I don't want to say by being around me, but I put I put the responsibility, and I put the pressure on them to to truly be responsible young adults who are independent and self sufficient and have that figure it out mentality. You know, it takes a leader to keep things going. And I try to really push for all my girls to to be knowledgeable enough.
Speaker 4: To be that.
Speaker 3: And like I say, being self sufficient, being independent so that they can they can take care of themselves.
Speaker 4: That's important to me.
Speaker 3: Some of them have have been super shy when they've got started, and I've you know, pushed them to kind of broaden their horizons a little bit.
Speaker 4: And now they've went.
Speaker 3: On to participate in public speaking or creed speaking, and when we go places, they can go talk to adults and say yes ma'am, no, ma'am, yes, sir.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: You know, those type of things that people look at that and say, wow, what you know.
Speaker 1: You stand out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, other that kind of thing is important to me, you know, being able to network, being able to communicate. This week at the Barn, I was helping one learn how to back a trailer.
Speaker 4: Things like that. We've done some construction projects at the barn this week.
Speaker 3: Just you know, making well rounded citizens that can go in public and they can go on to jobs and take skills and take you know, characteristics and just just well rounded individuals. And a lot of that comes from the kind of independent and self driven motives that you have to have. As far as being successful with horses, it's it's a team sport in the fact that you know, you are having to connect with a large creature who who doesn't communicate with.
Speaker 4: You verbally, right, but a lot of.
Speaker 3: Horses showing anything involving horses, it's it's very independent. So I enjoy seeing, uh, the youth that I get to work with kind of flourish as they come and and and find their path, find their way and and grow up into being successful young people.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that leads to the next thing.
Speaker 2: So if if someone is thinking, well, I know my child is not going to grow up and be like into an equine ve or you know, equestrian style career. What's the relevance? Why does being an equine program? What is how is that going to help them with a career? So how would you answer a parent that is only getting their child involved in things that are like going to help long term?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, Well the proofs in the pudding for me, I could all of my girls I have, you know, I have the handful that have the the dreams and aspirations of being you know, vets and farriers and equon Dennis and that sort of thing. But aside from that, they're like I, like I just mentioned, you know, they're all they're polite and self sufficient and and they learned all that and had developed those hard working work, get it done kind of thing traits. Yeah, through the work ethic that that I personally require critical thinking absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I I try to throw a lot at them in a you know, well here, you know, here's our problem.
Speaker 4: How are we going to fix it? Instead of being the.
Speaker 3: You know, quote unquote helicopters, Yeah, to to put them in situations where they do need to you know, sometimes it's trial and error. You you try something and figure out who that didn't work, you know, and grow from there. But yeah, that the work ethic that comes from anything that's AG related.
Speaker 4: There's no other experience like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not diluting what you're saying, but that made me think of something funny. I say, when we are turning bull calves into steers. Yeah, Chapels, our youngest child is always the one holding the tail, and I say, Chapel will be able to handle anything in life because he holds.
Speaker 1: The tale for his daddy.
Speaker 2: Like, if you don't do that right, there's consequences beyond just daddy getting upset. So I always say AG kids, which you just said, there is a work ethic like none other.
Speaker 5: But Kinsey's found the magic formula where she gets these kids to work. But they want to work, and they like her while they're doing the work. So I mean, that's why they keep coming back, and that's why they keep it expelling.
Speaker 3: I try to keep it I mean fun, but not take away from the hard work that does truly have to go into it.
Speaker 4: There's nothing easy about it.
Speaker 3: There's nothing easy about pretty much anything that anybody doesn't ag. But when you get to see the outcome of your your work. Then it's rewarding enough that you want to keep going back. You want to keep trying your best. You want you know, you see the results of of what you're putting into it.
Speaker 1: That's affirming. I love that.
Speaker 2: Do you have any challenges that you see in regards to equine programs in our area or beyond?
Speaker 3: So going back to like I said earlier in the conversation, you know, Bedford is known for cow and hate country, but we do have a lot of equine involvement equin folks in the area. Unfortunately, the resources for us are kind of limited, and that goes across you know, everything large animal as far as veterinarians go. You know, there's no denying that there's a shortage of that in the county. We don't have resources as far as just a nice tax shop, I mean, not taken away from the ones that we have, but you know, they're not super centralized. And then I think the biggest thing for me that I would love to see is having uh an ag complex in the county, a place where we could go and uh you know, host shows, host clinics, you know, having that public place not just for equan.
Speaker 4: It would sure be nice.
Speaker 1: What else we could use it for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so that would be super important to me, just have having a little bit more resources to make things uh more localized for us instead of having to travel and utilize the nice places and nice people and uh in other in other counties.
Speaker 4: So grateful for them, but it would be really nice to be to have it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a that's a very good point. And I don't think maybe some people that maybe just brought that to the front of their head. So good job for that. And what do you and your students, what do you need from the community.
Speaker 4: Uh, just to continued support.
Speaker 3: I hope that maybe through some of this conversation that people reach out and you know, aren't afraid if they if they've got kids with interest or then themselves are interested to try it. I when I have people inquire about lessons, I always tell them, like I get life. I work full time and this is what seems like another full time job. But you know, making something doable is big for me. Not holding somebody to Ah. You know, you've you've got to be here every Monday for you know, fifty two weeks out of you know that sort of thing, being flexible and just giving people the opportunity to come try something. I appreciate that, and it may be opening their eyes to uh, you know what, yeah, kind of what goes into two horses and that sort of thing. And then the biggest thing that my students and I need right now is support at the Bedford County Fair Horse.
Speaker 1: Talk about a lot here.
Speaker 2: In a couple of seconds, I think I know the answer, and it may be redundant, but this.
Speaker 1: Is your your last question.
Speaker 2: What are you the most proud of in regards as your role as the instructor.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is kind of it's gonna sound like a bland answer, but my students, who they are, what they're gonna do. When I talk about it, especially to people who aren't like super familiar with me and what I do. And when I say my kids a lot of times and I'm starting to feel old because they say your.
Speaker 4: Kids, how many do you have? I'm like, oh a minute.
Speaker 1: They would say how many kids do you have? And I'm like, I think ninety five this year? Like what I was like, Oh, I'm a teacher.
Speaker 3: Yeah no I did not write them, but I have like I had mentioned before.
Speaker 4: I have a group.
Speaker 3: That have been with me since they were all in like the six to eight year old range, and they are now driving, they are now working, they're graduating high school and I yeah, and it has been so wild for me to get to host the graduation parties and shows and be the reference on the job applications and be the call of, hey, Kensey, how do I do this when it comes to something mechanical oriented or you know, they they're thinking about buying their first horse, and I'm their go to of you know, hey, will you go with me to check this out? So I am always always so proud of them as to.
Speaker 4: Who, you know, who they've they're becoming.
Speaker 3: And I link a lot of that back to their involvement and being committed to their lesson program for all these years, and their greage commitments and that sort of thing. So yeah, in short, if I didn't have the group of girls that I do now, I probably wouldn't do this on the scale that I do it. So I am incredibly proud to well, it's not really mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say when you everything you just said, it's about relationships. So if you made this very robot. You know, no relationship and no connection, it would not be successful. So you've put a lot into it and that's why, like you said, they still love her even though she makes them work hard.
Speaker 1: So so good on you.
Speaker 2: We are going to talk about the events of the County Fair. Are there anything at other events or is this going to be our focus on upcoming horse shows and events?
Speaker 4: Uh? For me, I think this is a big.
Speaker 2: Of the We're just gonna talk about the County fear Okay, And one more time, how can the community to connect with you?
Speaker 1: First for horse lessons and second for four ah?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: So our four age club does have its own Facebook page. It's Bedford e Collectic four h Club.
Speaker 3: You can connect through there and I am responsive on the I think I have my contact listed. But the messenger side of that, I am responsive on.
Speaker 4: That as well.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then for lessons, my personal Facebook page is the easiest way to get kind of a visual of what things look like and what we do. I share a lot to that, and you can reach out via messenger or email or text.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that information we can help folks. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, we can. We can navigate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: McKenzie. This has been wonderful. I was so excited about this, just for a multiple reasons. That you are my first student that I have interviewed and so that was a cool full circle moment for me. But also horses, so many good memories with horses in my own life. Definitely not the scale you did, so I was just like, why is this is going to be so perfect? I was really really looking forward to this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Now we're going to be moving into our announcements, and every announcement is going to be about the upcoming Bedford County Fair. Joy's going to take the lead on describing what the twenty twenty five County Fair looks like. And we're excited about it, folks. It is great and we want the community members to know what to expect. Joy, Mackenzie, myself, and many others are on the fair board. So Mackenzie and I we will jump in and chats as we see it necessary or it flows, but we're going to just jump in with this one question. Sure it's going to have a ripple effected answer lots of things. Joy, But for those of you that may or may not know our twenty twenty five Bedford County Fair has taken a reset and it is really amazing how everything is coming together.
Speaker 1: So joy give us all the information. We're here for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, So the Bedford County Fair is a five oh one CI three dedicated to celebrating Bedford and so this year we are making that celebration even bigger, even better, and we are partnering with the Town of Bedford to provide four great events. And so all of those events are you know, those classic fair components that we all love. So the carnival, the livestock, horse show, we're coming back this year because of this format, we were able to do that. We're going to have the Kim Palmer Memorial Scholarship Contest again, and we are going to have a presence at Centerfest this year, which we're really excited about for the first time, and so that's what we're going to have our contest hall. So we just wanted to use this time to tell everybody a little bit about how they can get involved in each of those opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're here for it. So, first of all, I know this answer a bit. What do you need from the community in regards to sponsorship and or participation absolutely.
Speaker 5: So the biggest thing is, you know, the Bedford County Fair is a celebration of Bedford, and so we want Bedford to take part in that celebration and every part that they can. So you know, obviously, sponsorships are huge, and we've had some really incredible sponsors already step up. And that's what's kind of neat about this event is it truly is a grassroots effort and so it's neat to see how all that comes together. So if you're interested in being a sponsor of the Bedford County Fair, we have some really cool opportunities that are going to provide you exposure in the community, not just of the Fair but throughout the year, which is new this year, so you can check that out on our websage, which was Bedford Viafair dot com and that's due on August first. But you know, the real fun stuff and what we really you know, like to talk about is everything that's going to be available for Bedford County families because at the end of the day, that's kind of what the three of us really invest our time and why we show up. And so the first opportunity that families are going to have to participate in the Bedford County Fair is actually going to be at the carnival, which is going to be held this year at Liberty Lake Park, and that is going to be in August, and so that's going to kick off on Friday, August twenty second. We're going to have the carnival rides there, we'll have live music, we'll have great local food vendors. We'll also have some exhibits, so all of our family organizations from the community are welcome to join us. We'll have some traditional vendors as well, and we also you know, we love to highlight local businesses. So if you have a local business who you think would be a great fit to be a vendor, let us know. We try to keep our vendor packages very comp because you know, at the end of the day, again, this isn't this isn't a money making venture for us. We are here just to promote Bedford and Bedford businesses and families.
Speaker 1: So information on the website as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, everything is on the website Bedford Viafair dot com. And so the carnival's there now and again that's free emission and so you can come every day for free and you just pay for what you do. So if you want to eat dinner, you can pay for your food. If you want to ride a couple of rides, you pay for that. But if you just want to come and hang out with a community and listen to good live music and check out the vendors and do that, then then you're free to do that for free. So that's really nice. And so we'll have on site par getting limited and then also a free shuttle as well to make that easy.
Speaker 1: Okay, And that's at Liberty Like Park And that's.
Speaker 5: The August twenty second through twenty.
Speaker 2: Fourth, wonderful and then Mackenzie, we have a horse show coming up.
Speaker 4: We do yep.
Speaker 3: So the horse show is going to be held at Allen's Mountain Livestock Company, which is off a Timberridge Road in Bedford. So the horse show will be on Saturday, August thirtieth. There's no admission for spectators at the horse show and for all exhibitors. We've got a pretty broad class list with the coolest prizes and everyone's favorite cash back, so there's something for everybody. Of course, it's open to any and everybody. You don't have to be a Bedford County Okay, that's good to know. Yeah, equin enthusiasts to participate in that. I hope to have some people from all over, so yeah, we're looking forward to that. There'll be food vendors and we'll have some equine business related vendors that'll be there as well.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: And if you're coming to show, we've got an awesome photographer for the day.
Speaker 1: So some take thought of it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm excited. It's gonna be good.
Speaker 5: It'd be a great opportunity for parents. If you're interested in what the horse show world. It looks like it's a good opportunity to see it a preview, Yeah, any other events you wanna well. And then following the horse show the next day, we're gonna have a live stock show at the same venue at Allan's Mountain Livestock. They've been great to host that as well, so we're actually gonna have cattle, sheep, swan and goats there. I think we're actually had dairy as well this year. So that was something that we didn't have room for last year, and the community really wanted it and so we were able to bring that back. So that's open again, not just a Bedford Leath, so you're we'll be able to see livestock and from youth from around the state.
Speaker 1: So we're really excited about that.
Speaker 2: Excellent and the whole lineup is already like she said, on the website. Also, we have an active Facebook page, so if you're more into social media, you can see the snibbets of information there as well any other detail.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the big thing is I would encourage everyone to look at the Bedford County Fair Contest book because this is this is that's just kind of like that nostalgic like, you know, you have your all of your county fair classes, so who has the best pie or best pickles or the nicest tomatoes or eggs. But then there's also some really cool categories as well. So this year there's like an agricultural like Lego model contest. It's my son's favorite, okay, So but there's you know a lot of photography are quilting. So really what we want to see is just more participation. We want to highlight more Bedford County talent, more Bedford County efforts and and and work. So there is something literally for everyone in all ages, and so definitely check that out. As you're as your gardening and then those classes are going to be exhibited at Centerfest this year, and so that will be something that you can find. And the warming centers we're actually going to be set up to your in Centerfest, which.
Speaker 1: Is right across from the Farmers.
Speaker 5: Market, right across from the Farmer's Market. This year at Centerfest, we're actually set up in the Warming Center. And so that's actually one of my favorite parts of the fair is to watch especially like the kids, so like the five and six year olds come running into the contest hall to see what ribbons they're photographies or their eggs got, and so that's always just a really special part of the fair.
Speaker 1: And so a Mama Bragg though, what tell us about what Eli got last year?
Speaker 5: So Eli got, he got like two blue ribbons that are still on his wall. Eli's he was then four four year old son got for the pictures that he took and stole my phone around and went and just snap pictures of all of our animals. They were he worked so hard on them. They were great, but seriously, and but that's the way a lot of the kids' photos were. It's not this big LABI thing. The important part is just letting them do it themselves, and then you get to see how excited they are.
Speaker 2: Do you know when I go home to visit Mom and dad, my ribbon from my rabbit, Like, how do you show a rabbit.
Speaker 1: He is sit in the cage.
Speaker 5: Okay, that is what my child asked for his birthday next month and that's not happening.
Speaker 2: So but yes, my ribbon, my mom still has it, probably displayed for a rabbit, which there's no showing. The rabbit just sat there and it's fat. But anyway, I got a ribbon for So that's something folks can look forward to.
Speaker 5: And the egg legos, Yes, so the ag legos, that is something every year we try to do. Add a couple new contests, and I'm particularly excited about this one, and partially it is because how it came about. So we have a committee. We have a fair board, but then we have committees that work on different ventures. And so we have a committee that works really hard on getting this contest book put together, and then all of these contests judge. Because there's hundreds and hundreds of inenturies. This year they added some youth members to that committee, so we have some teens who helped out some high school students, and that was their suggestion was to add an agricultural lego sculpture contest. And I think Kenzy can attest like her four each club, like my son and his friends, like that is what they are pumped for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were so excited about that when we got to that part of.
Speaker 5: The Yeah book so and so I think that's just really cool and it goes to show like just another really neat aspect of this event is it's multi generation and I think that's what the great things in community usually are, is multi generational, and so.
Speaker 1: We hope to exhibit that well at the fair as well.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. Do either of you have anything else? Do you think we need to share about the fair?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 5: You know we it's free, and I think that you know, that's something that's really important to us, that we work really hard to make sure that it's successful to everyone, and so please feel free to just really come out and enjoy it and just celebrate Bedford and who we are.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, I'm looking forward to it. I think this has been an informative episode that again shows the heartbeat of our county and acknowledges the deep roots of agriculture here in Bedford County. This podcast the fair, our AG Advisory Board, AG educators in local classrooms, for A leaders and students, f FA leaders and members, extension agents, farm service agencies, producers, local farmers, markets, market managers, various volunteers, community members and consumers. Everyone plays a role in fostering the next generation of agriculture. Our community knows that agriculture is important. We see opportunities and relationships all the time, showcasing the importance of connecting producers with consumers, with providing educational experiences between the agworld and the nonag world. And most importantly, our community knows that our county's agriculture community strengthens the very fabric of what is Bedford County. So we're grateful for the various platforms that Bedford County AGG has been given. As always, we are appreciative of Media Squatch and their graciousness and allowing us to record our monthly AG podcasts. Be sure to like, share, and follow all things Media Squatch and support them. Today's episode will be posted with an episode link attached on our Bedford County, Virginia Agriculture Facebook page, so be sure to like following share that as well. And if you haven't listened at our to our past episodes as well. I'm sure you'll find something that interests you. And if you want to reach out to us personally, you can email us at Bedford countyag at gmail dot com. This is great, especially if you're a local farm and you want to be added to our county's online directory of local farms and producers. We'll be happy to make that happen, so go ahead and email us at Bedford countyag at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you want to.
Speaker 2: Get involved in your agricultural community that we have here, you're invited to join our ag Advisory Board meetings. We meet on the first Wednesday of every month at the County Building off of Falling Creek Road here in Bedford. To learn more, just reach out. Also check out our County's Office of Economic Development website. There's a section dedicated to all things Bedford County agriculture, including info on our monthly meetings. Bedfordeconomicdevelopment dot com. One more round of thanks to Joya Mackenzie. Thank you for being here. Thank you, Melody, thank you, and this is Melody divers, reminding you to be good to you yourself and be good to others. M.