Speaker 1: Seven six here at fifty five care CEV talk station. Very happy Thursday two and a very happy anniversary to my wife and to me.
Speaker 2: I'm a lucky man.
Speaker 1: I've kicked my coverage and I've enjoyed that for thirty three years. Actually been together for thirty eight years, but married thirty three today. And I know I've said that listeners who have been around all morning. I'm just happy about it. I'm happy to encourage everyone out there to enjoy their marital bliss and find marital bliss because it's a hell of a lot easier than being out in a single world these days. At least that's what I read about anyway. Welcome back to the fifty five Carecy Morns Show. Moved away from politics and talking health from Restore Wellness Dot Org, Keith Tennefeld, George Brenneman in studio.
Speaker 2: Good to see you guys again.
Speaker 1: It's always a pleasure getting away from politics and learning something important about us how we can proactively take of ourselves.
Speaker 2: Great to be here again, Good morning, Brian.
Speaker 1: And you know ke Keith. I know your nurse practitioner and you specialized in this. Your business is to help people find a better path get him around some of the symptoms and promising encounter and face and George, you just kind of like stumbled into this with your personal health. You know, I was retired and needed something to do and was starting to get concerned about, you know, getting older and finding a different way. Yeah, ran into Keith, ran into a bunch of books and here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And speaking of resources, they got links to a lot of the resources they relied on at resore wellness dot org. I saw you interviewed Congressman Warren Davidson and how did he end up get being interviewed by you guys since you're focusing on fitness on the website.
Speaker 3: It was interesting because my wife and I visited DC last month and got to meet with Warren and his chiefest staff.
Speaker 1: He's a great guy.
Speaker 3: I had a great conversation and his approach to COVID and what happened afterwards in the in the fact that there were these shutdowns and managed. He was extremely you know, emotional about that, just like we were, you know, And so I said to him, heck with you know, talking to you about political stuff, I'd love to talk to you about health and wellness. So it was a great conversation. I encourage people to go listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go to story restore Wanness dot org and if you've got a link to Spotify, that's where it is, so you can get it multiple different ways wherever you find your podcast. That's it, all right, Well, today we're not going to talk about food so much or exercise so much. We've been on those topics before. But something that I know a lot of people, including I deal with stress.
Speaker 2: I mean it's.
Speaker 3: It's easily the biggest thing beyond nutrition and exercise. Nutrition and exercise are your biggest levers, right, I mean, what goes into your body and what you do with it. But after that, the next biggest is stress. And you know, there are multiple kinds of stress, especially in today's world. You got the stress of you know, what's going on with the water, the air, the weather this week, you know with the huge you know, temperature spikes and the humidity, so that all puts pressure on your body and has side effects that are not exactly healthy.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think it's stressed though, I mean I think more long lines of cognitive stress. That means I am stressed out by what I do for a living. Well, you just showed me the stack of stuff you got to read. It's like holy cavi.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: And trust me, in that ream of paper that I just showed you, there's not a whole lot of good news. And so that's what I mean, that's where the clicks come from. That's what people are interested in. You know, Oh my god, what's going to happen? Oh my god? What it's Usually it's something terrible. And you know, from my perspective, I get stressed out over government action and intrusions into my civil liberties and where they're spending money, and the fact that my own labor is being used against me in so many ways. And I mean, this festers in the back of my mind twenty four to seven. I can't do a damn thing about it except try to raise awareness and get people to pursue a different political path or make a different choice when it comes to that kind of thing, you know. But it's like a heavy weight, you know, And the fact that I cannot avoid it. I'm not by by by virtue of what I do for a living. I'm forced to pay attention. I can't take a break.
Speaker 3: Well, just the fact that you've talked about it for two minutes now means it's really front of mind, and is cause it always it always it has got to be causing, you know, the mental stress. And I always think of it in terms of the prayer that the alcoholics anonymous, you know, teach me to know what I can change and what I right. Solimity if it's almost like living in the moment, you know, the hell, if we can all just live in the moment, we wouldn't be thinking about extraneous things. We'd be dealing with what's in front of us and what we're dealing with at that moment in time. So it's one thing. It's like telling somebody to snap out of depression. I'll you got all this going for you, just snap out of it. And everybody who knows anything about depression knows it is not that simple. It is so much more complex than that. So I can tell myself, God, Brian, could just snap.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Why are you letting this bother you? You have no control over it. But then I find myself sitting at my house on my laptop four hours a day or whatever and doing this for four hours on the radio, and I'm just surrounded by it, so it's it's at the forefront of my mind, so stress driven by jobs. I have a doctor friend of mine, it's actually one of my best friends, the godfather of my daughter. In fact, he's a surgeon, and I think about him because you don't walk away from that. He's doing operations. Lives are in his hands. You just don't go at home at night and turn that crap off. I don't know how you could. How you could, you know?
Speaker 5: I think it's it's one of those things that you know, life is what we make it. And unfortunately, when we're put here on this earth to live a life, we have a choice. We can stay wound up or we can enjoy it and listening to the birds and the bees kind of case scenario. But the question is is how do you balance that? How do you catch yourself in a downward spiral being cognitive and learning to say, hey, I can take this time in my life to down regulate and to really take in and enjoy what life is meant to be for us, or I can live the busy life, the city life, to whatever life. And I think trying to balance that's the hard part. More importantly, what is our brain doing in patterns? How are we thinking in patterns? Because we're always gonna think because our pattern teaches us to think that way. So learning to break that pattern and say, you know what, life is short, we should be grateful and it's in one person will say it's it's very hard to be grateful and anxious at the same time. So how many times during the day do we spend going what am I grateful for? What are the things in my life that I that doesn't stress me out?
Speaker 2: And do they? Are they real? Exactly? They are real. But the situation that's.
Speaker 5: Going on in another country is also real, but it can't impact me. But the things that in my life that can impact me or right in front of me, and am I grateful for those?
Speaker 1: Walking through a thoughtful analysis in order to shift the focus of your attention.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, it's in your head and truly stresses in your head, but it definitely has physical side effects because when you're stressed, you can tell your blood pressure is going up. Great's going up. That can't be good for long term health. And like you just mentioned, how to how did I get into the wellness? Well that was part of it. I mean stressing over the political situation or stressing over you know, what's going on in the engineering world. You gotta at some point say what can I do to make that not hurt me so much? Or are there alternative ways of doing it? So I think there's a lot of implications with stress, both mental and physical stress that get your body worked up, which means you can't be healthy. I mean, you've got to get the the body to be open to the idea of you know, I got to relax, and when I relax, my heart rate goes down, my blood pressure goes down, and I've got to be able to identify, hey, I can't do anything about this. I gotta let go. I have to let it go. But it is tough, especially if your job focuses around talking about it all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the area lines a challenge and you know, plus plus four hours of time I got to fill in. I mean, it's just like being on stage and you're being lord or performing or actually try not to call it performance because that suggests that I'm not being real. But you at least have to be aware about the facts and the information about the topics that people want to talk about so they don't sound like a complete idiot every day. Not to me, that's a stress. So I mean, there are things you can do.
Speaker 3: You can in your case, you're getting the news out there, You're helping influence people to change things. You can write articles, even if you don't send it to somebody, write a letter to the editor, and just get your thoughts down on paper. That's an easy way to work. That sounds a way to generate more stress. Find I find it. It's sometimes it's easy to break it down. And let's take a look at stress. So obviously we have work stress, we have thought stress. But let's look at the things that maybe we can control. For instance, you know your diet.
Speaker 5: What things are you putting into your diet and your body that could be increasing your stress as far as inflammatory stress. Right, your hydration, same thing, are you drinking enough? Is your brain calm because you're well hydrated?
Speaker 2: What about sleep?
Speaker 5: Sleep's a fantastic way to get restorative sleep, but if you don't get enough, you're going to have a stress cycle.
Speaker 1: And I know we're going to have a conversation about sleep too. And I think I got I got a point. I want to make that I solve my getting to sleep difficulties brought about by stress, the thoughts going through your head, the things that everybody kind of experience. You know, people experience all the time. You lay down at night and all this like what did I do today? What did I say? I wish I hadn't said that, and then you think about, well, all the things you got to do tomorrow. That kind of that. That's a form of mental stress. But it also impacts the sleep, which is a terrible thing as well. We'll get some of the information on what lack of sleep and bad sleeps patterns can do to you. Stick around more with George and Key seven fifteen right now fifty five krc DE talk station. Odor Exit Get rid of the stink in your world with an odor Exit product, one of several that are offered at otor exsit dot com no E O d O r X I T now. They come with one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee. So if you want to get rid of the smoke, the old mildew, human odor, pad, odors, skunk spray, if you got an odor oto exit works. And I've used the products multiple times over the years, and I know they work because I've used them and I never had to exercise my ability to get the one hundred satisfaction guarantee rebate refund which they come with. Used as directed, they're going to get rid of the stink or they'll give you your money back. Them around for twenty five years, locally owned and operated and manufacturing products. So get in touch with odor Exit online otor Exit dot comfielder from the website. It will be promptly delivered to your home or you can buy it locally. Just use the search engine right there on the website odor exit dot com.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station, our iHeart Trick.
Speaker 1: Here's your channeline first one to weather polecasts. It's going to be maybe some pop up showers between noon and sometime around sunset ninety two for the high and yes, it's going to be humid for the heat and x and low one hundreds overnight, muggy seventy three.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow's like today would pop up after anoon storms and muggy and heat and lowe hundreds on high of ninety two down to seventy four. Muggy conditions over Friday night and Saturday eighty six for the high. They say a cold front is approaching from the north seventy six. Now time for traffic from the U SEE Health Traffic Center.
Speaker 4: You see Health, You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at you seehealth dot com. Northbound seventy five break rights between Buttermilk and Kyles, and then again above Mitchell towards the lateral. Son not helping there. Southbound two seventy five, seventy year between the Lawrence purg Ramp and the bridge. Chuck King Ramont five KRC, the talk.
Speaker 1: Station JISHI seven twenty if you bout pircde talkstation Restore Wellness dot org with George Renaman and Keith enfl talking health and talking stress. And I to pass along one of the mechanisms to manage stress for me. And I like telling people this because I know how many people struggle to go to sleep. And we're gonna talk about the importance of sleep here this morning with these guys. But you know, very very long period of time where I had problems going to sleep. You know, you're thinking about all the stuff that you said, Oh my god, you know, and it's racing through your mind that I embarrass myself. Whatever things that you did, activities you went through during the day, and then you think about tomorrow and what you got to do tomorrow, and oh my god, I got that thing coming up at the end of the week. And why when you are laying in bed and getting ready to go to sleep and doing something for your body that's so important, that is getting a good night's ress, why are we thinking about that kind of thing. So I always start out if I feel and I've gotten to the point where I have no problem at all going to sleep anymore, because I've been doing this for so many years. First off, it's the worst possible talk. You're not going to be doing anything. You're going to sleep, You're going to be laying in bed think about stress, right because you can't unring the bell of what happened, and you can't accomplish anything while you're laying in bed trying to go to sleep. So all those activities may be on your plate, but now is not the time to think about them. So try to start with that. And then what I always do is engage in the sort of meditative process. I close my eyes and I put myself in this peaceful tranquil and I use a forest and you know you mentioned off air a beach in Hawaii, wherever uncovered by anything. You're alone and you're just peacefully walking and you know, you don't necessarily have any place to go. But what I'm focusing on is this fictitious mental walk, meaning I'm not focusing on the clutter. So it's a form of meditation. You are consciously engaging in a thought process, unlike meditation, which is clearing your mind of everything. And that's almost impossible for a guy like me to accomplish my you know, the seven squirrels running around in my brain. But by engaging in this meditative process to the exclusion of the clutter, you know what, I never get to where I'm going. I always end up falling asleep. And it's almost second nature to me now and it really truly works. So maybe something that my listeners can try if they struggle to get to sleep.
Speaker 2: And it's a it's a mental process.
Speaker 3: I think the key thing was stressed during the day, and like you say, nine times, the worst time to be talking about stress because you got to get to sleep. But during the day, you know, it does have that side effect on your body. And can you go through some of the you know, what is it that happens to cause chronic illness because of stress.
Speaker 5: There's this really cool term called inflame aging. Wi's basically chronic inflammation that increases aging oxidative stress, which is as free radical. It gets tossed out in your body from just normal daily activities, and then you increase that because the cortisol production. Next to cortisol is a side effect of stress exactly. And it's you know, it's your fight or flight chemical, right, it's to get me out of this danger situation. Yeah, and what really that we don't need that. We're not in danger. You know, right at the top of the food chain, everything's pretty comfortable. But for some reason we keep on building this court is all. And you add that to our environmental problems such as you know, bad air, bad water, you know, small everything else, heavy metals, and now our mitochondria are getting their butt kicked and we have to do something about that. We have to clear that oxidative stress. And so there's any different ways to clear oxidator stress. Ironically, it's your antioxidant's your healthy blueberries and your veratrols and your NAC and there's a whole list of them. You just google, you know, the top five antioxidants and get to work. SANA is another fantastic way to get oxidative stress out of your body, but to get more onto the damaging of it. It can actually cause epigenic changes. Your genetics can get changed, and there's your cancer potential, your cancer risks. Not to mention, your teleomers get shortened, which filmers are DNA exactly your DNA and that helps you rebuild all your new cells. And so what are things like? Meditation is a great way to lengthen your telemers. Deep breathing great way to lengthen it. Antioxidation lengthen your teleomers, and that's kind of the goal when you're trying to do you're trying to reverse inflammaging, inflammating.
Speaker 2: I hadn't heard that.
Speaker 3: When I send it to me, I'm like, what the heck you misspelled inflammation? That's common. Inflammating makes sense. I mean, it's easily one of the bigger problems inflammation, especially with you know what's happening with the food supply and some of the crazy stuff they're winker process foods increases inflammation.
Speaker 5: Right, and you see that in your joints, You see that in your anxiety. Anxiety can be a sign that you have neuro inflammation. You know, neuroinflammation is a very real deal. And so if you're feeling anxious or feeling depressed, your brain's just not thinking, right, it's probably inflammation. So what you're saying is it is a a you're influenced by your environment. Of course, the pollutants, toxins, et cetera that we regularly encounter.
Speaker 1: The environment. Of course, what we put in our body literally has an impact on this. And then of course our cognitive state and how we cope or not cope as the case maybe with the mental stress.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And that's a good thing is that if we can improve that inflammation in our brain, maybe we can cope better as well. So taking in less inflammatory foods, better water, and staying away from you know, environmental toxins can possibly give us that cerebral benefit where we can cope with stress a lot easier.
Speaker 3: It's like everything in mother nature, it's like it's all intertwined. We said we didn't want to talk about nutrition in the exercise today, but right, because welcome to holistic meta stress.
Speaker 1: You got exactly, it's all linked. That's the end of the point that needs to be made. All right, we'll continue with Keith and George after I mentioned my friends at Zimmer Heating and air Conditioning, and of course air conditioning has been really important of late, so dang hot and humid out there, and of course that's a stress on your enter your system. And if your system has had it and it's gone belly up, well it's a great opportunity to get in touch with Zimmer Heating and air Conditioning, third generation almost eighty full years. They offer a full line of HVAC services. But if it's belly up time for your system, it's time to get a new carrier comfort system and save up the fifteen hundred and fifty dollars. Great special going on. Chris Zimmer is leading the helm right now in this family on an operated business and they'll take great care of you. So for all your HVAC needs, get in touch with my friends at Zimmer. Schedule appointment online and learn more about the services they offer. Go Zimmer dot com, go Zimmer dot com or call them five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three, that's five two one, ninety eight, ninety three.
Speaker 2: Fifty five.
Speaker 1: The talk station what here's your Channa nine first one and wether forecast hot and humid. Yes, heat indexs on one hundreds on a high of ninety two and a chance of storm at the beginning at noon and lasting through sunset overnight. It'll stay muggy seventy three for the overnight low ninety two with a heat index around one hundred tomorrow as well, and some pop up afternoon storms. Heat advisory ends at eight pm tomorrow and then an overnight low is seventy four, still muggy, eighty six to the high on Saturday. With good news they say a cold to front, a cold front is approaching seventy six right now.
Speaker 2: Time for traffic.
Speaker 4: Or not?
Speaker 1: Just Trekker, Go check on Chuck, see if he's all right. Keith Enfel, George Brenneman Studio, Restore Wellness dot organs where you find them online and see the information they have there. We're talking health and wellness generally speaking. Today's topics generally around stress both physical and men toll uh and sleep as well, and they're all connected and I, as George put it out, the outset. I said, we wouldn't be talking so much about diet, but that it's related. Holistic medicine involves looking at all aspects of one's life, the environmental component, the health are, the mental component, what you're eating component, and then also mechanisms to change, for example, your diet to deal with things like stress. You mentioned getting these free radicals and your DNA in line and all that, and that's directly related to what you eat. Are there certain foods out there in the world that cause the stress?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot. Actually there's you know, anything as the preservatives.
Speaker 5: If you go to your Chinese restaurant and you get to you know this MMSG, that's a neurotoxin to believe it or not.
Speaker 1: I thought they got rid of most of that because MSG kind of everybody's radar. I think back in the eighties and you could ask for no MSG, and then they started advertising at Chinese residents. We don't use MSG, but they still if you look on an ingredient list for some reason, they're allowed to call it natural flavor.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, is that what that? So when you see something as natural flavor, that's usually MSG.
Speaker 5: So you know, this goes back to our previous conversation, but sugar is probably the one of the most highly inflammatory things that you can do increasing your oxidative stress. Whereas, like my father in law just reminded me, turmeric, especially turmeric paste the recipe online can do the exact opposite. It's great anti inflammatory. So there's a lot of things. One of the supplements I take, it's a great one, and also talked about telemre length tumoric can help out with that too. And so to get back into that diet piece, for instance, you would think exercise, all exercise has got to be great for quartisol reduction, Well not necessarily. If you're under like a high mileage like your five k R, ten k or thirty k people's they're actually producing a lot of quartisol. Their body gets into kind of all the miss a shock state, and that can be if you're someone who's trying to reduce cortisol or someone who's trying to prove their inflammation. You might not want to be that type of athlete. Whereas if you run for three minutes and walk for three minutes and you do that for an hour, you stay in zone two and three, and that's actually very good for oxidative stress. He gets rid of that oxidative stress. So it's a balance. It's all in the balance, right, And you also mentioned some other aspects at about diet. You know, I think the thing is is fasting. Sometimes we eat just too much. We're putting too much stress on our body because we're always digestify.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I hear fasting is great for you all the time, But then I read there are different types of fasting, and I've seen some people are insane, people just drinking water exclusively for really long time. I mean, I'm like, there's no way in hell I could deal with that. But then again, I've also read that just not eating for twelve hours a form of fasting. And that's pretty much my life. I don't need anything after say six pm, and here my breakfast. My bana has been laying here, and I've been up since two thirty this morning. It's already seven thirty, so it's been my gosh, it's been more than twelve hours, been thirteen hours since I've eaten anything. So that's a fast, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like churning butter.
Speaker 5: You know, the longer you do it, you get a different product, and so if you're looking for just general fasting and gut like rest, yeah, twelve hour twenty four hours are kind of where you're going. If you want to start losing weight, that doesn't start happening until about forty eight seventy two hours. And if you want to start building stem cells, which help rebuild your body and actually repair itself in unique ways, you're looking at ninety six hours or more.
Speaker 2: It keeps memohing me for a ninety six hour. I haven't done it yet. I did do forty eight. I did do forty eight, and it's interesting.
Speaker 3: First of all, you look great because you start losing a lot of weight. Oh yeah, but it's almost like at that point you find wherever your weakness is. So my weakness tends to be headaches. So I'll start to get a headaches after that. But I got to try it at least once because the benefits are supposedly enormous, and you're seeing it all over on X in the wellness feeds.
Speaker 2: I see a lot of way about the ninety six hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you pay any attention to the general area we are talking about here in this during this hour, you're going to run into a lot of information on fasting well.
Speaker 2: And for for starters.
Speaker 3: The whole breakfast thing was started because you know, in the United States, we didn't eat breakfast. If you ate breakfast whenever was left over the night before. Listen, I got a lot of relatives that were farmers.
Speaker 1: And you know, back in the day, and you ate a huge breakfast in the morning because you were outdoors the rest of the day.
Speaker 3: But once the industrial revolution hit, it's like, you know, what do you need to eat breakfast for we when I sit down?
Speaker 5: For now we're just sitting down a lot. But you know, eating fasting was is more important now than it probably ever has been because back in the day we are highly physical, highly motivated, highly burning calories.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 5: And now we're sitting down, So whoa, our calorie intake needs to come down because we're not burning this calory.
Speaker 1: I see that that that's a straight arrow, direct line reality with it. It's we live a much more sedentary life.
Speaker 5: Why it's more important to spend at least one or two hours WHOA, that's a lot doing some physical activity. I mean, you really need to get your butt moving or is you're going to be in big trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, we're learning a lot from George and Keith. Today we're going to focus a little bit more on sleep coming up. Got a couple more segments to deal with the folks, and maybe we can learned something about maybe how bad it is that we don't get good night's sleeve and some help and getting us in the direction of getting some good night's sleep. Stress and sleep first though, this is that Low's Camp across Country Mortgaane to thank you Rob who sent me an email the other day just perfectly illustrating why I recommend Who's at Low's Camp loan one mortgage. He said, I've been beyond please with suits that he wrote this, as I've had to review my ninety day pre approval numerous times and she's always extremely response, he said, Now to the point I finally found a house. In the process of that underwriting, she was informed that I showed three open mortgages that were never released on my property. I have had my phone my home paid off for over a decade. It make matters worse. Sometimes in the past my late wife had thrown out the releases, and of course all three financial institutions had been acquired numerous times by other financial institutions. I was having zero luck and resolving this. I jokingly mentioned this Suzette that I was having sleepless nights. Imagine my surprise and delight when out of the blue she called me to inform me that she called in a favor to help me. She had the releases located and forwarded them to me so I could relax. So I've heard you heat praise on her, and today I want to tell you that if it was in my power, I would hold a parade and she would be on the lead float com editor for customer service as well. That's Susette Low's camp. She is an outstanding woman, got in thirty five plus years in the mortgage business. She's with Cross Country Mortgage. So whatever state you're sitting in, she can help you out all fifty states, no junk fees, no application fees, and outstanding service. Listen to the listener testimony from Rob. You can reach her one of too l A two ways five one three three one three fifty one seventy six three one three fifty one seventy six online you can just send an emails. SU's at dot Low's Camp, Los e kamp so's at dot Low's camp at CCM dot com fifty.
Speaker 2: Five, KRC dot com, Hey neighbor, oh, Mike.
Speaker 1: Jenlin first one of what a forecast. It's going to be a hot day to day humid as well. Ninety two for the high with the heat index around one hundred or so and a chance of storms between noon and sunset. Gonna be muggy overnight with a drop of seventy three Tomorrow the heat index ends at eight pm. A sunny, hot, humid day will be with pop up afternoon showers again.
Speaker 2: Ninety two for the high.
Speaker 1: Uhh yeah, heat index of one hundred, overnight lowess seventy four and muggy conditions a little better Saturday, eighty six for the High with an approaching cold front seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Now time for a traffic.
Speaker 4: Update from the U see how triumphing Center. You see healthy. You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it make sure best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes expect at you see how dot com North Bend seventy five. Getting heavier out of Urlblanger into the cut. I add two to three extra minutes there and a couple of more between Mitchell and Town Street southbound two seventy five break lights continue to build between the Lawrence purg Ramp and the bridge. Chuck ing ramon fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven five KRCD talk station Ay, very happy Thursday to you. Talking health with Georgia Keith George running with Keith Tennefeld at It's Restore Wellness Dot orgs Rey Final online, and we're talking about stress. We didn't dwell much on physical stress. I know I've heard the discussion off of mental stress, primarily because at least something I have a connection too. But sleep also has a profound impact on our on our lives and our health as well. From what I understand. What we'll talk about the amount of sleep we need. People I have struggled with challenges of getting a complete full night's sleep. But what are the downside health risks for not having sufficient sleep?
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: We did a podcast with Jimbocollins a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: I encourage you to listen.
Speaker 3: He's a bodybuilder, you know, a personal trainer kind of guy, and I found it I had not heard this before that sleep is where you build your muscle back it's right.
Speaker 2: It's the restorative part.
Speaker 5: Like you go to the gym, you tear down your muscles, and sleep is where you build them.
Speaker 3: I had never heard that before, and I thought, that's just another reason why, you know, sleep's got to be at the near the top of the list of things you can.
Speaker 5: Do for your health. You know, we spend one third of our life asleep. That's a lot, and so if we don't make one third of our life a priority, then we're doing something really really wrong. And it's amazing where people like you said, you're busy or up on your phone doing all this stuff late at night and you're trying to rob yourself of this sleep because you need more time during the day, but you're doing nothing but harm at that point in time.
Speaker 1: Well know, going back to my sleep, get the sleep trick that I mentioned earlier, there's no way you can accomplish that if you have a damn cell phone over there that's actually going off. I don't understand how anybody can live their lives with a cell phone laying next to on another nightstand. And you know, I'm your George. You aren't disturbed in your sleep routine by that thing going off?
Speaker 2: I mean it doesn't go off.
Speaker 3: I I finally figured out how to turn it off between certain hours. But that is off and not bothering your Do you wake up in the middle of the night and feel compelled to look over to see if you got any text messages?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: Fortunately, George metaphorically slap you from across.
Speaker 3: I'll do it on this that nerd, right, So I've been in nerds just before they called us that I had the bag phone.
Speaker 2: Then I had the huge thing that barely fitted your pocket. I was the first guy to have.
Speaker 3: I still have a puppet engineer.
Speaker 2: But you don't have any pockets today.
Speaker 3: But you do read my white fould saw me on on this all the time that you know, you read about the blue light filters and the fact that you shouldn't be watching your screen before you go to bed.
Speaker 2: I just can't stop.
Speaker 3: So this side of it's a sign of addiction. You say, you, of all people, know it's bad for you. You know it's disruptive to something so vitally important. It's Keith pointing out sleep, and yet you don't do something as simple as just turning it off and not looking at it.
Speaker 1: No, it's the middle of the night. This is why I turned mine off. You know, I grew up in an era where I we didn't have phone calls at night, even though you could make Oh yes, my dad went to sleep early and he didn't want to be disturbed. He wasn't going to take a phone call the middle of the night, so you just waited till the next day. So if I wake up I got a voicemail my cell phone, I'll deal with the time. Yeah, I normally don't. I get maybe half a dozen or a dozen texts that I wake up to. Those didn't need to be addressed overnight. There's nothing emergent coming in on my phone, So screw it, turn it off, lay it down, George, that's your assignment. Ye, Then an example for the people you are trying to help out with their wellness. So if you want to live longer, sleep more. Ironically, that's that's a life expectancy hack number two. Everybody probably struggles with sleep to some degree. If you are finding that in a classic question, I ask in my practices.
Speaker 2: Do you snore? Or if there's a couple there, does he or she snore?
Speaker 5: And the answer is yes, you need to get that checked out because obstructive sleep apnea, being basically being choked one third of your day is a horrible thing and that needs to be resolved. I can cause all kinds of cardiovascular, cause chf, cause all other crazy problems. I got some tips to help you sleep here in a minute.
Speaker 1: Great, Well, let's we'll hear from the guys on the tips, and I'm looking forward to hearing them. I did a sleep avenuea test hit sleep apnea, and it was just awful. That you're drowning essentially, you're being in It can really cause like a panic attack during the day because it's it wakes literally wakes you up. Unfortunately for me, I just am loathed the concept of getting a seapap machine. I got a custom orthotic from doctor Fred Pack which pushes my jaw out. It's reasonably comfortable. I'm awaring it for years and it works ninety percent of the time. My wife will occasionally say you were snoring, but for the most part just kicking me and making me roll over.
Speaker 5: If you're overweight and you snore, that's a problem. If you get that snoring fixed, you can lose weight easier.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't consider myself overweight, and yet I still have the apnea issue, so go ahead and figure that one out. We'll continue to get some tips from George and Keith at seven forty five. Right now, and let me strongly encourage you. Obviously, the heat is on and you could be feeling far more comfortable and save a lot of money in your energy bill fighting that uphill heat battle with your AC system. But just by getting USA insulation, you may need it, you may not. That's why they do a free inspection in free quote for folks with old homes that don't have any insulation in the exterior. Well, yeah, you need it if you have an older home. My daughter's is a great illustration that was built late seventies, had think R twelve in it that ain't R twelve. After that many years, it's reduced its effectiveness and it's never it wasn't sufficient at all. Modern insulation, USA's premium foam, highest R value on the market, got that injected into the xterior walls along with that old insulation. They are uber comfortable, and of course the savings are going to be obvious to them. Only ninety nine dollars a month interest free probably pay for itself, depending on your current energy bills, so you will save money, the product will pay for itself, and you will be eligible for a twelve hundred dollars energy tax credit next year when you're doing your taxes. Five one three three eight one three six two six three eight one foam online USA Insallation dot.
Speaker 2: Net fifty five KRC the talk station first one to wether forecasts and Channel nine.
Speaker 1: Pop up afternoon showers like between noon and sunset the best opportunity for those. Otherwise, we're going to hit ninety two for a high with a heat index around one hundred. Clear muggy seventy three year old ninety two with the heat index around one hundred and some pop up afternoon stours tomorrow, so mirror of today Tomorrow. Overnight Buggy heat advisory ends at eight pm seventy four of the overnight low, and then we're going to have a reasonable day on Saturday. H Colfront is approaching their rick, they're saying, and we'll have eighty six for the high on Saturday seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Right now, traffick time.
Speaker 4: From the uce Helth Traffic Center. At you see Health, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes, expect more at uc heealth dot com. Northbound seventy five break lights continue to build out of very Linger into downtown. That's over a five minute delay. Then slow Mitchell towards Paddock where there was an earlier accident.
Speaker 2: That's now clear.
Speaker 4: Southbound seventy five break lights out of Lachland south two seventy five heavy into the construction on the bridge. Chuck Ingram Hunt fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifteen fifty five kr Cdcox Station Our Power with George Venaman and Keith Enfield again Restore Wellness dot org, providing some value information and pointing out the obvious importance of dealing with and managing stress, both physical and mental, and the implications within your body on what stress can do. And then we're also focusing on sleep, and I know, Keith you you wanted to pass along some helpful hints and mechanisms for my listeners to help get them that good night's sleep.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know.
Speaker 5: Obviously routine is the most important part where you say, Okay, at this time, I'm getting going to bed, and I'm only going to go to bed. You know, the bed is designed for a couple purposes. One of them is not to sit up and watch TV and stay on your cellphone.
Speaker 1: Right, it's the other purpose that I prefer. But you know that can help you sleep too.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, specially if done properly, right exactly, And we'll talk about that in the next segment.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So a couple of good supplements.
Speaker 5: L theanine lthanine is a very good stress doucer and helps you sleep one hundred to two hundred milligrams about an hour before bed. Magnesium theorinate or three or in eight is it what they sometimes will say, one to two grams an hour before bed. Obviously, the whole camomal tea is another good thing that you can do. You and Brian brought up a great idea of guided imagery. That's a very fantastic thing to do.
Speaker 2: My meditative walk in the woods thing. Very good, very good.
Speaker 3: That has a name guided imagery. No, no, you invented itt of it. I just termed it. I just put put a name to it. Made me feel sophisticated. Sometimes people really need to burn muscle tension. Uh, they feel like they're just tight.
Speaker 5: So stretching and or doing a couple of rounds of some hit exercises.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes that's say, exercises actually can wake you up, but it actually can also exhaust you too. So if you want to do a bunch of push ups or stretches that help just lengthen everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will occasionally, usually on an as needed basis, because I used to I really used to be big into yoga. I'll do some yoga stretches and twists, and that really helps me get comfortable to fall asleep.
Speaker 5: Another good bio hack is if you're if you're a person who takes a shower at night and this is strange warm shower, hot shower, and then switch it to cold for thirty seconds to a minute, and it's in that state that produces this great way to relax and go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Really yep.
Speaker 5: Uh Gary Becker talks about that one. And then last but not least, kind of having a brain fart here, it's.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, what was it? Not a great time to go to a break? Uh? Boy?
Speaker 5: Anyway, so let's just try to make My goal overall is to make sleep a priority. If it's one third of your life, you need to make it a priority if you need to get a sleeping medication because you've tried everything. You've tried melatone, you tried magnesi, you tried these these records.
Speaker 1: Meltone was when I was trying to come up with because you didn't mention that specifically.
Speaker 5: I'm not a fan of melatonin because of the way way to interrupt your chronic serotonin production, and I'd like to try that To do that naturally, it's usually gut health. You get on a good circadian rhythm, you wake up with the sun, you try to go to bed roughly around sunset, your circadian get rhythm gets reset, and your serotonin levels are usually fine.
Speaker 2: Melatonin hacks that.
Speaker 5: So I try to stay away from that, but you might want to talk to your provider about a you know, another alternative if nothing else is getting you to sleep. And there's a lot of medications out there that have been around for a while that work very very well, and then there's some new ones too. Zach acts right. There's that, there's transit do own, there's ambience. I'm not trying to be a promoter of pharmaceuticals, but because sleep is so important, and if you've tried everything. Sometimes you just need to do that because it's important to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess they're monitoring and controlling the prescription drugs along those lines so much more than they used to because, of course all the problems we've got with over prescribing and people getting addicted. So the idea of getting xanax from your provider, that may be a short term kind of thing from the provider's perspective.
Speaker 3: Now, well, the beauty is to look all at all of these you're trying to get us so that your body naturally will do the inflammation control or to be muscle smory jack exactly like muscle memory. Everything we're talking about for the most part. You know, when you start talking about meds or specific supplements, the idea is to try and find a more natural way to get those to happen instead of having to you know, go out there and artificially introduce them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just the whole concept of having to be reliant on a pharmaceutical company, even if it's providing you with great benefits, even if there's no downside risk. If you need a prescription, you're kind of stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: Oh that's what I was going to say, is hormones, especially if females postmenopausal perimenopausal progesterone levels, this can be very very important to help you balance sleep well.
Speaker 2: I was gonna mention, Yeah, I used to do commercials for.
Speaker 1: Uh sorry, see I couldn't wait any longer to apologies for that. That should never happen on the radio, Brian. But I used to do commercials for a center that did hormone bioidentical hormone replacements, and man, I had all kinds of people tell me how wonderful the outcome was with that. Yeah, going back to the multiple reasons for the bad Yeah, and just general overall wellness and feeling of greater energy and more balance and things in life. So, if your hormones are out of whack, it can be dealt with, yep.
Speaker 5: And it can actually change a person's personality if your hormones are out of whack to the point where not only are you losing sleep, but you're you're somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, strange. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a friend who had struggled with weight loss. He went in and had his hormone level checked. Zero testosterone. His body didn't produce it, And that's that's the main reason he wasn't able to lose weight as as much as he tried and as often as he worked out, went on the hormone replacement therapy and it worked miracles for him. Keith George, it's always a pleasure. Restore Wellness dot Org for the guy's information. Stay in touch with the web page, and stay in touch with your health. It's all about you taking some stock and personal accountability and making your life a better thing, having better cognitive function, just feeling better generally. So I'm appreciative of you guys and what you do and helping to kind of share this information with the general community so we're all feeling better. Seventy six, Oh my pleasure. Seven fifty six Stick around after the top of the other news. Joe Montgomery back in the studio. What's going on with Patriots Landing. I love what they're doing in Patriots Landing for our veteran friends out there. Joe Montgomery's got it all. He's got a special announcement. Plus j Rat look at eight thirty with iheard media Aviation Expert. I'll be right back us.
Speaker 2: Happens fast, Stay up to date. At the top of the hour, not going to be complicated.
Speaker 1: It's going to go very fast.
Speaker 2: Fifty five krz. The talk station