Speaker 1: You're listening to Something rather than the creator and hosts Ken Valente, editor and producer Peterer Bower.
Speaker 2: Hey, everyone, this is Ken Vaalante with the Something rather Than Nothing podcast, and I am very excited to have the creative talent behind spine Wound, which is a play that's going to be at the West End Theater in New York City. Incredible, New York City, August twenty second, twenty third, twenty twenty six. And the chat today about this work. We have Julia Ordway, Carter Williams and creator and primary talent behind the production, Ryce Bilela. I wanted to welcome each one of you onto the show. Welcome to Something rather Than Nothing.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great to have a group by going into recordings and we used to chat with one person and then I love the I love like a group and talking about a group, particularly when you're in the midst of like making something. And I appreciate your time as you're pulling this together and let's talk about it with the energy of Okay.
Speaker 4: Swine wom what's going on with.
Speaker 2: This this this this this play. I know there's a zine. We'll talk about that later. But the plays coming up. I mentioned the day what is swine Wom? I saw gothic? You had me I was sold rate there. Tell us what's going on with its production.
Speaker 5: Yes, swine Wom is a Southern Gothic horror story. It's a full length play and we did it previously December twenty twenty five at the Red Pavilion, which is like a cabaret kind of club in Brooklyn. And yeah, now we're taking it to Manhattan at the West End Theater UH next week, which is very exciting and terrifying at.
Speaker 3: The same time.
Speaker 4: It's nice.
Speaker 2: It's nice to catch you, you know, as you as you're pulling this together in a big production. And and of course the voice you heard was Reese Pillow and just wanted to bounce over to Julia and say hello, and if you could just like mention like your work and relation to the swine Mooom production.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I play Shiloh. She is she's going through a lot. Carter plays my brother. Then there's some other characters who come in and out. She's a heavy role of big lift of acting. But it's fun in a story that I think we all agree that needs to be told and We're telling it in a really intense way and it's fun, but audiences need to be ready for what we're about to do on stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, I love that leading there's something I drop. I've been lucky enough to drop into Broadway and off Broadway productions just through the show and relationships that I have, and it's been really nice to be able to connect with like like the energy of like of what's going on.
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 2: Could you pull listen to the context of and I'm gonna bounce back to Resa and pull you in Carter in a minute. But about where this idea comes from? And just how do you get it to the stage. You're in New York City. That's impressive, right, Like you got it on stage, like idea to how this thing is.
Speaker 4: Going to happen. August twenty second, twenty third. Can you take us through that a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Swine Moom began as a one act play that I wrote my senior year at NYU and then produced the summer after I graduated, so around like July twenty twenty five, and then I had been working on the full length version for a while.
Speaker 3: After writing the original.
Speaker 5: One act I just felt really passionately about the story and it really it really resonated with me, Like I felt very strongly that there was a world to be explored here and to elaborate on, and to bring in other characters and just get really into the lore. You know. I like to do some I like to do some lore buildings of world building.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: I wrote it last summer.
Speaker 5: We did it in December, and yeah, we just wanted to do it on a bigger scale for more than one night only, which is what our last run was. And yeah, really just remount the production as best we could and bring in more people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excited for you. Carter.
Speaker 2: You play Shiloh's a great name of the name Shallow, Shallow's brother. You tell us a little bit about, you know, how you come to be in this role, a little bit of your your your background in in particular about the role, like what it was like in happening in that space.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I played Ellis, which is Shiloh's brother, and he's, uh, he's a lot you know, he's he's doing a lot of things that are questionable behavior. You could say a lot of things he's doing to others, which is you know, not something that I like to do in the world, but you know, it's it's a character, and you know, you you got to do that sometimes to get the story forward.
Speaker 7: But the way I got into it through Reese.
Speaker 8: Me and Reese we worked together at m y U first on one of our other shows called Dinner with the head Mistress, and then we continued to collaborate through there, and then she wrote the one act version of.
Speaker 7: This show, which was called Putting Grass. And there's a cat right.
Speaker 2: Here and so cat friendly. Hold up, so cat friendly? This show is completely cat friendly. I got I got three of them running around. I always interrupt the show, win it's over. Yeah, it's all good, it's all good. Well, going back to your character.
Speaker 8: And so then when we did it the first time, I don't think there was names for the characters, but essence of.
Speaker 7: The characters were still very much there, and it was very.
Speaker 8: Exciting to like jump into people that are really not like they They are from the South, they have different accents than us, and they're just very different than the way Julie and I are in real life, I would say, which is exciting to always play that. And then also, yeah, Reese always writes exciting work.
Speaker 7: That I love to join in. So it's a good collaboration.
Speaker 4: No, I love that.
Speaker 2: One of the things I want to you know, I started mentioned NYU, and sometimes I like just ask a question about, like what the experience was like there, Like when I'm talking to folks from a city or a music scene, or like you from that kind of academic, very like prestigious academic background. What was it like your experience in anybody could speak to this as far as coming right out of that, you know, the learning what you were able to have it art space within NYU, because it's got to be so formative, at least in my head for you.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 6: Spending four years, you've got the school and the city kind of behind you, and so that the second that you leave, you kind of already know you've been on the streets, you've explored, and so it is scary to not have the back to be able to fall back on school. But I mean we've all collaborated and met through NYU, and so to take that out of that school setting and then be able to do the same work but on just like a much different scale is the most exciting thing to be able to do and in the city that we've kind of grown up in our college years. To just be able to keep doing that is a blessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that makes a lot of That makes a lot of sense to me. I always I have this. I come to art in a very different way. I didn't go to art school or anything like. I developed things on my own. I studied like the theory of art, and I started painting later in life and started like deliberately creating things. So I have a fascination with like doing like art, not to say art school or creating through that time. So I always ask And one of my favorite mangas is Blue Period, which is just a detailed experience of going through Japanese art school, and there's like fifteen volumes. So it's like, that's kind of why I asked the question too, because I'm always fascinated like at different points of how we develop things, Like I started painting at forty five, what if whatever I wanted to do is earlier. It's just something you think about as a philosopher. Maybe that's why I have I have the show.
Speaker 4: The zine.
Speaker 2: The zine related to Swinemom. I love zine, so a personal curiosity. Reese tell us about the zine and uh where to get it.
Speaker 5: Honestly, yes, the zine was perhaps overly ambitious and foolish fundraising endeavor, but uh, however, I'm very happy with the result.
Speaker 9: It was a logistically stressful experience, and so, like I said earlier, it's a write of passage to be a creative in New York and to make a zine.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so it was an idea that I had for the fundraiser. I wanted to bring together a lot of creatives because I am a very like substack pilled person, Like I love my substack, I love the poet like I love poetry, I love short stories, and I wanted to connect.
Speaker 3: People and bring people together.
Speaker 5: To yeah, like write about the theme of like Americana and religion and the devil and things like that, and just contribute to this little publication and yeah, see their work in print, which a lot of people don't get to do too much. So it was really exciting and there was a lot of great work. And it's available as an add on for tickets, so anyone who wants to pick up a copy of the show can add it to their ticket, and it is also available through an order form in the bio on the Swine Woman Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I I like some of the zines that I have. Maybe I've gone through them recently and it's a few years ago, and it's a distinct event that like or distinct performance or something, you know. And there's something about tactile being able to like, you know, put your fingers on that, and I think that's such a you know, with the experience of the play and its uniqueness in each performance of how it's done. Like there's a tactile piece that really makes sense to me. And Carter, you seem to be stoked about the zine. Tell us about like, like I'm excited, Like I get excited, so I recognize when somebody decaid it's like, tell us about your connection to the zine.
Speaker 4: Man, You're gonna love this, right.
Speaker 8: I mean I bought one, you know, supporting these one purchase at a time, you know.
Speaker 7: But yeah, no, I just think it's great.
Speaker 8: Like like as you said, like it it's like almost like what are those capsules, you know, like time capsules?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, of like what.
Speaker 8: This show is, what we're trying to tell And yeah, it's just a lot of the people work in it. I also know, so uh yeah, I just really appreciated it and I was like nice, and I just I like, I.
Speaker 7: Like the word zine too. It's fun to say, I know.
Speaker 2: It is the the podcast. Well, when the podcast we're not good on the production schedule for zine, there is one issue of a zine and I'll email it to you, and.
Speaker 4: It's it's, it's, it's, it's.
Speaker 3: It's kind of several that I could name.
Speaker 2: It's like and it's the zine we made is nice. But there's one in the seven plus years of the podcast history, and so issue too should be coming out soon. But love love the zene IDEA know there was a lot of effort in process and going through it, and hopefully as you continue to make scenes time it's a little bit easier. Okay, I'm gonna jump over because like the show is conceptual and we have to show some of our chops, like conceptually and thinking about art and such like. At least I love to I love to have those conversations. So I'm just gonna like launch in. I'm gonna ask you, Carter, right, like you're interested in art, you're an artists, like you know, you create.
Speaker 4: What is art? Like what's what's the big deal here?
Speaker 8: So for me, I guess art would be like my interpretation of the thing we're trying to explore, you know, And for me that usually is like the acting side of it because I am an actor.
Speaker 7: That's kind of how I approach it at first.
Speaker 8: Is even when I'm reading stuff, I kind of start thinking of like, Okay, how is this gonna look on stage? That's also kind of a director's mind, but like.
Speaker 7: How is this gonna look? How would this character sound while talk? All those things?
Speaker 8: And then I also just like to really like play, have fun, find the joy in it. So for me, like are I always try to make it really happy and joyful and fun when you can, even when you're dealing with heavy stuff, like just try to you know, take it with what it is and take it seriously, but also you know, keep it fun because you know the world is tough enough.
Speaker 7: You know, you got to keep everything light.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's no, no, like then particularly no.
Speaker 2: I mean, like a couple episodes ago, I was talking to an author, Rachel Verney, and she put out a book prioritized play, and it was all like all this like driven in on some of the things you were saying. It's like, yeah, there's all this other stuff around this, but like, go play with the legos, go get the crayons out, like in that experimental piece of it. So like I love the.
Speaker 4: Spirit of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm bouncing over to you, Julia, what the heck is art?
Speaker 6: I've got to agree with Carter and what he says. I think art is all subjective, and so I hate when people use the term good or bad because how do you classify that when everyone is looking at something completely different. I think that I got into art like playing in the mud at like four years old, and to me, that's still the same art that I create.
Speaker 3: With recent Carter.
Speaker 6: In the room, I think people find their niche and they find their specifics of what and for me as well, what Carter said like it is acting, but I think with acting it also comes with seeing how directors are in the room and seeing how writing changes, and I think that's all inspiring and contributes to who I am as an actor. So I don't think you can just be an actor. I think there's everything and any creative thing you've ever done in your life is going to infiltrate on your training or your artistry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's yeah lovely. I love talking with y'all. I really do. Race Uh well, what's art amazing?
Speaker 5: Definitely, like with Julia said this show. In the case of this show, it's very akin to playing in the mud.
Speaker 3: But I mean art is art is everything. Like art is it's.
Speaker 5: Storytelling and it is like connection and and humanity and a and a business like it's everything.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's like the producer mindset that's like it's a business, but uh yeah, I think storytelling through different mediums, like you know, you can you can paint a canvas like entirely read with like one black splatter and it's modern art and like that could be like a metaphor for like.
Speaker 3: Like climate change.
Speaker 5: Like I don't know, it's like it depends on the first it could be anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I uh love the chat and I think I think there's so many questions to try to explore of like when we've refer to ourselves as an artist or like that we're making art that we've like reflect on like what you know what that actually means? I wanted to I wanted to ask uh, to ask you some very specific details, BEFO. We're going to further and not dropping in and at the end about New York City is its own uh geography and place, But could you give like the listeners, particularly a good amount of the folks who listen in the New York City area, the very specific details about the performances of swine will coming up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we open on the twenty second.
Speaker 3: We have a seven thirty pm show at the West End.
Speaker 5: Theater, which is also called the Wet in the Upper west Side, And we also have a matinee Sunday the twenty third at two thirty pm, and then another evening show at seven thirty pm.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful, Reese, I'm going there. Let's pretend I'm walking in to the first performance. I'm seeing certain things. I'm seeing the stage. What am I feeling? Like you here Southern Gothic, but like, what's you know, without telling everything, like what am I feeling all of a sudden when I'm stepping into your space?
Speaker 5: I have been describing the experience of Swinewoom to be your feelings during the show, like you will maybe be a little disgusted, a little thrilled, you know, maybe a little disturbed, but also having the time of your life. Like it will shock you and gross you out, but it will also be the most fun you have at a theater this summer.
Speaker 4: Well that's the type of ticket I buy.
Speaker 2: We're recording here overund the on the West Coast and Salem, Oregon. Originally from Rhode Island, and so I do love the city. I am a Red Sox. Fans want to get into the baseball stuff, the Yankees and stuff. I just like, Hey, I love New York City. It's not talk baseball at all, but it's great to hear about this, uh, this upcoming, this upcoming performance. I wanted to ask I'll start with you, Reese, and I asked both of you too, as far as a point that came up. I'm thinking literature, and I'm thinking influence, the things that influence like you're thinking and you had mentioned poetry, Reese, and I was just wondering some of the like the creators not necessarily behind what leads to swine wom but like creators that have that like impact on you that you're excited, like talk about poets, playwrights, writers.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, I am I really resonate and am a fan of the New French extremity movement and film. It's one of the biggest influences on About About It definitely one of the biggest influences on my work for stage and screen.
Speaker 3: I really I find body horror.
Speaker 5: And sensory visceral horror to be really affect and something that I'm passionate about.
Speaker 3: And that I think is important.
Speaker 5: I really admire Julia de Corno, the filmmaker who made Titan and Raw and most recently Alpha.
Speaker 3: I really admire Gasparnoa.
Speaker 5: I would like to be the girl version of Gasparnoa if I can, if I can get it, get to that level.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think a lot of like.
Speaker 5: Extreme horror and things of that nature are really where I find the most like truth and resonance. So that is what I look up to and what I'm passionate about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just on the show. It covers a lot of territory and things that I've done. But like I talk a lot of culturally, Like my partner and I go out dancing at a goth club like every other weekend, and there's a lot of goth culture in Portland. But horror. I've had, you know, some scream queens on the on the show. But one author I was really thinking of when you were talking about is el Nash and her and she did a book called The deliver Me seen as like a literary girl that kind of like sexiness and appeal around that piece and she is that but extreme body horror and like the set in like West Virginia, like woman who works at a like a slaughterhouse like these like really yeah, yeah, el Nash, deliver Me? But yeah, thanks, Like sometimes like as creators, like I'd love to hear like the things that kind of electrify us, like from from from writing, Julia, what about that for you that let you off? Like playwrights, writers like poets that like that get you going.
Speaker 6: I think for me, I fell in love with Elizabeth Barrett Browning as a poet. I thought the way that she wrote was just beautiful, but also she has a way that she's writing about really intense things, similar to how our show is as well, where there's so much underneath what the words are said and then she comes out and she just says it, and I think that's what we do. So she was inspiring to me. For years she has been and I think female poets to me have the most beautiful minds. I think female writers too, and so working with Reese's that's the inspiration Reese's as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the poetry connection, Carter. What gets you going? Reading wise?
Speaker 8: I feel like I do a lot of like watching and viewing more than reading. For me, like a lot of Like I feel like last year, like my top movies were like ham Knet and one battle after another I loved. And then also like there was a movie a few years ago close that I always go back to. It was like a Belgium film I saw I was starting a broad in London a few years ago, but it's about these like two boys. I don't I forget who wrote it and directed it, but it was really good.
Speaker 7: But then like I.
Speaker 8: Don't know, I watch a lot of like pop culture pop movies, so like I don't know, like there's no I don't know any of these fancy names a lot you know that Reese is saying all these things, you know, but like for me, I just think it's so inspiring seeing like anyone who has success in like what they do, like it's just really awesome, Like for me like performance performance, right, the performance hit it and you're going and like making it happen, Like that's the goal and that's the dream.
Speaker 7: And like however I can help people to do that as well is kind of my m So that's what I want to be able to do.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely absolutely, uh lovely incredible. I got to tell you U when I so some of the materials and advanced materials have for swine Woom just loved it, like I said, for my own personal like uh, and and the promise of scandal is attractive, the promise of you know, like the subversive because like if there's something that Gothic is about, for me is like just subversive, whether it's creeping and slow or it's just it twists things up, and I really love that space. I'm gonna throw out the big question the show because I always ask the big question of the show, which sometimes is thought to be nonsensical. But I'm going to open up to like each one of you, uh, and at least one person take a like a stab at why is there something rather than nothing?
Speaker 3: Carter? I think you had to take this one away.
Speaker 4: Car gets it.
Speaker 7: Why is there something rather than nothing?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 8: My My immediate thought is, like, you know, similar to like why I'm why am you know? You got to try because if you don't try, there's nothing. You know, at least there's something. You're putting something forward, and if you don't do that, it's just nothing. And what's life if there's nothing?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Like, no, I know there's something, Like that's the nub of the question that comes up a lot, And that's the nub of it, like in the doing and the creating that there's something I'm not saying that's the answer, right, like nobody knows for sure and maybe it's not, but no, I like, that's that's why I kick it around you you all want, I gotta tell you one funny part.
Speaker 4: About that question.
Speaker 2: So it's like an annoying question because philosophers, like, there's an annoying part of philosophers. That's why they killed Socrates and like, so, uh, the piece about like asking that quest said, only once have I let a guest. So back when I was younger, there was this show American Gladiators, and if you look back at the video footages that came out in the nineties, and I fucking loved the show, and it was like, you know, dangerous battle with each other and shoust and everything like that. And there was a strong woman and her name was Ice on the show. Well, anyways, I remember this from my younger days, and I got Ice on the podcast and now I'm a little bit intimidated because Ice could pick me up and snap me in half. And so I'm talking her. I said, Ice, here's the thing, your only guess I've ever offered this to. You can answer the question something wi is there something rather than nothing? Or you can tell me to fuck off. And she told me to fuck off. So I don't give that option to everybody, but because it was Ice, I let her out.
Speaker 4: Thanks for kicking that one around.
Speaker 2: Any anything I think throwing something else about swine Women, I'm excited for it. If there's any way in the universe I can make it out to the city that I love out there in New York City, I'll try to make it. But anything else on swine wom before we close it out.
Speaker 6: I think that going back to what Reese was talking about with how you'll feel when you walk in, I think this show will make you uncomfortable. And my favorite thing is when art does that it's supposed to make you uncomfortable. And so I think that if anyone comes see it and they walk away and they feel like physically don't feel good, I think that we did our job to show them that you need to feel uncomfortable for anything to change.
Speaker 4: Wow, Yeah, she got it. We're going out. We're going to go out on that. We're gonna go out, We're gonna.
Speaker 2: It has been like really great to connect it with each one of you. And like I said, in a period where you're busy and you know, nervous and ready to put like this this big thing on, best of luck to you. I'm really excited. And and folks, as you're listening to this episode, particularly those uh in that New York City area, check out swine moom and and and and support uh you know, live theater so important uh nowadays, and so everybody, swine Wim thanks for the creative tast here.
Speaker 4: And like I said, best of luck to swine awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having us, for having us.
Speaker 4: Thank you absolutely my pleasure.
Speaker 1: M It's something rather than nothing.