Speaker 1: God, I'm swinging.
Speaker 2: That's a hello. Fans of the world Champion La Dodgers.
Speaker 1: The World Series Gwenville.
Speaker 2: This is a special off season edition of Dodger Talk. There's a dynasty to be had here, taking you behind the scenes with Dodger insider David Basse, living out of their dream to be a part of the show called eight six six nine eight seven two five seven and follow the show wherever you get your podcasts now here's your host, David Basse.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live from my mom's townhouse in Woodland Hills because we were forced to evacuate because of the Kenneth fire. So technology is an amazing thing and that's how we're able to share the next hour with you. I hope you're safe out there. Obviously a horrible time here in the city of Los Angeles. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all that were affected, that lost their homes. That their lives have been changed for a few years now, maybe forever. But we're here to kind of mix all that in and obviously not ideal situation, but we're here to talk baseball, to distract you, to entertain you, and for all the latest breaking news. You can tune into our sister station KFI AM six point forty all along the iHeartRadio app as well for all the late breaking news and KFI breaking news. As we speak, there was an arson suspect arrested in Woodland Hills for possibly starting this Kenneth fire. So KFI is on top of it. Tim Conway Junior and the rest of the crew, Deborah Mark are all over it for all the latest breaking news and information where you need to go for shelter in place where you can get resources. If you've been displaced. KFI can help you out, and obviously the Red Cross can help you out as well as much as as much as they can. So we'll as baseball players do through a one hundred and sixty two game season. We have to grind through this and that's certainly what we will do together. But Max Munsey is going to join us to help obviously entertain us, to give the latest on what's going on during his off season as a two time World Series champion. And Max Munsey has played seven years in Los Angeles and cares deeply about this community and he certainly has his heart on his sleeve when it comes to all this. So we'll hear from Max Mounsey coming up at the bottom of the hour. We will give you the latest on the Roki Sazaki sweepstakes, and also we'll talk about who else the Dodgers may be signing before spring training begins. And also, since the last time we spoke last week, Gavin Lux has been traded to the Reds. I was on sports net LA as that news was breaking on Monday, So we'll get into that a little bit more and what that means for the return of Keige Hernandez Now. The Dodgers also made a move today among a settling arbitration eligible players. They traded Diego Kartaya, who was once one of the top prize prospects not only in the Dodger farm system, but in all of Major League Baseball minor leagues. And this is a cautionary tale of over hyping minor league prospects. I'm not saying the Dodgers did that. I'm saying be careful, just wanting the Dodgers to keep prospects at the expense of not helping their major league roster. Thankfully, Andrew Friedman has been willing to pull the trigger on trades, and if it means giving up young talent, he has done that going all the way back, right off the top of my head, trading Cabert Ruiz as part of a trade for Max Scherzer and trade Turner. So he has done this. He traded for you, Darvish at the trade deadline in twenty seventeen. You know, he has done this continuously. And that's why I feel like some lose sight of the fact that, yes, developing your minor league system is very important, but not necessarily for them to play in your uniform, but to use them to make trades to help your major league roster, as the Dodgers have done. Look, the stakes are really high for the Dodgers, as we have seen since Guggenheim has taken over, and as they have had this continued success. But the stakes were raised astronomically when they acquired Shohio Tani and signed yosh Yamamoto. Specifically when they signed Otani and he basically deferred a lot of his contract unprecedented amount of money to help the Dodgers build a team around him, not just for twenty twenty four, but for the next five, six, seven, eight, nine, maybe ten years to be able to give the Dodgers the ability not just to have sho Hey Otani, but to have sho Hey Otani surrounded by players that the Dodgers have acquired even in the last year. I mean, we're talking about Yamamoto, We're talking about them trading for Tommy Edmund and Michael Kopek. We're talking about them having Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts and keeping Max Munsey among others, signing Michael Confordo and signing re signing Taoscar Hernandez. All of this is made possible by the Dodgers having that flexibility that Otani gave them and also obviously raising the stakes to win now. And the Dodgers have been more aggressive this off season than any other team out there. Am I missing something? The Dodgers are the defending World Series champions. I feel like we don't say that enough. This is the world champion Dodgers Audio station, and when the game start, it will be the world champion Dodgers Audio Network. That's what they are. And they have gone out this offseason and being as aggressive a teams that have never won a World Series like the Mariners, and they have added Confordo. They have added Tasca Hernandez, they have added Blake Snell, and they're not done yet. They're pursuing Roki Sazaki, and they are pursuing another or two major league relievers to add to their bullpen and also looking to bring back keyk Hernandez. So the Dodgers have done a great job of developing young players but also understanding that the time is now to win, and if it means trading a player that you may think is a can't miss prospect, by the way, I haven't met one that is a can't miss prospect. Honestly. The only two that I could tell you that our can't miss prospects that I have seen, you know, really fulfilled the expectations in the hype are two guys and they both came out of high school, Bryce Harper and Alex Rodriguez. Bryce Harper was on the cover of Sports Illustrated when he was in high school, similar to Lebron James, and Bryce Harper has certainly fulfilled those expectations. But Diego Krtia is a cautionary tale, and look, the reality is Cartaya may have, you know, come close to what the expectations were for him, but he injured his back a couple of years back. And if you've ever had a back issue, no matter how young or old you are, you know they don't just go away. They're always there. And other teams saw last year that Kartayah, who was a catching prospect, never caught consecutive games all last season. That was a red flag for where this was going with Kartaya. And maybe a change of scenery and a change in new voices helping him with his hitting will help him in Minnesota. So he's a great kid, he's got a great spirit about him. He's twenty three years old. We've heard about him ever since the Dodgers signed him when he was sixteen. So all the best to diego Kartaya in Minnesota. But obviously he never turned out to be what I guess the Dodgers and others thought he would turn out to be. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, Max Munsey we'll join us the two time World Series champion right here on Dodger Talk. Be safe out there and keep your head up.
Speaker 2: Anybody want it, but it ain't that ss off season. Dodger Talk continues on LA's Home Love Good Dodgers AM five seventy l A Sports Cool.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles will rise up again, no doubt about it. David Vass with you until eight o'clock tonight here on Talk. Max Munsey is going to be joining us here shortly and coming up at the bottom of the hour, we will give you the latest on the Roki Sazaki's sweepstakes. We are getting closer to January fifteenth, and also we'll let you know what it means for keyk a Hernandez now that Gavin Lux is wearing a Cincinnati Reds uniform. We are thinking about you, Los Angeles. We are thinking about all of you that have been affected by the fires here in the City of Angels and certainly you cannot get through this alone. It seems like, as always, we are rallying with each other in this city when we need each other the most, and just be vigilant out there. That's the biggest thing. We all got to be vigilant that do not have our homes taken away from us. We got to be looking out for each other and we've got to be looking out for nefarious people out there that are up to no good, that's for sure. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're taking your phone calls until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We are just thirty two days away from pitchers and catchers reporting to Glendale, Arizona. The Dodgers again are going to be starting their season on a different continent. This time they are going to open up the Major League season in Tokyo, Japan, against the Chicago Cubs. You remember last year they opened up in South Korea against the San Diego Padres. Kind of full circle that the Dodgers knocked the Padres out of the postseason last year. All Right, we're joined by a man that has invested not only his playing career on the field in Los Angeles, but he definitely has invested a lot in this community. I'm talking about two time All Star, two time World Series champion, a man that has hit one hundred and ninety home runs as a Dodger entering his eighth year Dodger Blue, and that is the Dodgers opening day third baseman, the one and only Max Munsey, Max, thanks a lot for coming on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I'll tell you what here in two time World Series champion doesn't get old.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. And we haven't talked since the parade. What's it been like for you since that day? Has it sunk in that you are a two time World Series Champion? Do you have a little bit more swag in your step now? Or how has Max Munsey's off season been?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, after we won, with the parade and everything, that was obviously a whirlwind and you try to remember as much of it as you can, but you know, it really sank in for me. We ordered a replica trophy, the World Series Trophy, and when that showed up on the doorstep, that's kind of when it really sank in. I have it sitting next to the one from twenty twenty, so you know, I get to see that every single day and it's a pretty cool reminder. But you know, I also want to get a third one up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be nice. And it seems like Andrew Friedman is trying to give you, guys everything that you need to make another run.
Speaker 3: Well, he does this every year. You know, we always have, you know, the roster and everything to.
Speaker 4: Get the job done.
Speaker 3: And it's just it falls on us to make sure we do that. And so right now that's what everyone's doing. They're trying to rest up. It's been a you know, a short offseason, and everyone's trying to make sure we're ready to go, you know, going into Japan this year.
Speaker 1: Hey, Max, speaking of the parade and all that, you didn't get one in twenty twenty. We all know that. But when you were on your parade float with your teammates and once you got to the stadium for the rally, did you realize how much you and that team meant to the city.
Speaker 3: You know, I've told this the several people, And you know, when we when we turned onto the street and down town and you start seeing all the people lined up, When when you see people holding up pictures and images of uh, you know, relatives and people that have passed away that couldn't be there, and you start seeing like how much it actually means to everybody. You know, that really kind of hit a whole lot harder than I think I I even realized.
Speaker 4: I've always known.
Speaker 3: That the Dodgers fans and the the city and the organization and everything. It's it's the best in baseball, the best fans, the best people, and but I don't think you ever realized that it means that much to people, that it's it's it's you know, it's a.
Speaker 4: Lifestyle for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: And it felt really special to be able to celebrate that moment with with, you know, the couple million people that were in the city.
Speaker 1: Max Munsey is joining us from his home in Texas, and Max, I know new you and your wife Kelly have been posting links to where we can help assist those that have lost their homes and and need some help. And I know you've been monitoring what's going on in the city closely from your house in Texas. How hard is this hitting you guys out there.
Speaker 4: It's tough, It's it's real tough.
Speaker 3: We've been, you know, we've had the news on pretty much twenty four to seven. We've been trying to follow everything as best we can, and it's just devastating to see the amount of damage that's been done. And you know, we're obviously praying for everybody, and we're hoping that everyone's everyone to get out and it sucks that people are losing their houses, but the most important thing is that you know they're surviving and their living and you know, you can you can replace certain things, but you can't replace lives. And so, you know where we're obviously trying to do what we can from from out here. It's not much, but as long as we can bring awareness to it, and you know, people from around the country can chip in here and there and every every little bit.
Speaker 4: Helps in this scenario.
Speaker 3: And you know, so that was something that we'd wanted to do, is we wanted to make sure that there was you know, lots of links and stuff for people to just you know, to go on and just give any little bit that they can, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Any little bit can help a lot of people out there. Max Munsey is joining us here on Dodger Talk. We're with you until eight o'clock. And Max, during this postseason run, you were such a big part of it from beginning to end. One thing that sticks out to me the most, and we have not talked about this either, was the consecutive reaching bass streak twelve consecutive plate appearances where you reach base. That's a new playoff record. Reggie Jackson held the record before you. Is that similar to when an NBA player describes like making ten threes, like Steph Curry just says, the basket just looked like the ocean. Is that what it felt like during the NLCS? Can you describe it?
Speaker 3: It's kind of hard to describe, but it's just as it's that was at that moment in time, that was the best that I had pretty much felt all season long. I was locked in to my mechanics, locked into the game play, and I was seeing everything real well that the game just felt very slow for me in that moment, and you know, it just it just felt like I had a very good understanding of what I was trying to do, and you know, through throughout the entire season, it's you know, that's one of those things where you're you're very rarely ever in that state. You might be seeing the ball well, but your mechanics are a little off. Your mechanics might be great, but you're not seeing the ball well.
Speaker 4: You know, there might you know, you.
Speaker 3: Might have a little nagging thing here or there, and so it's very rare that you get into that that zone that I was in there and that was definitely the best that I've felt for a very long time.
Speaker 1: No doubt. And you've been a part of a lot of classic playoff teams for the Dodgers. You've come up big yourself. When you look back at how you guys came together. I remember what you told me at the beginning of the playoffs where you just asked everybody to sacrifice their families and whatever interests they had outside of baseball for six weeks. How much did that really play into you guys going all the way to win the World Series?
Speaker 3: You know, I it's hard to really state how much of an impact that had, you know, but I really feel like that was something that helped us out. And you know, right from the beginning, you have those five days off, you know, getting to buy and you know, everyone was so stressed out about that from years past and just thinking about how that's actually bad luck.
Speaker 4: And you know, at.
Speaker 3: The end of the day, we had to flip the mindset of you know, it's a reward. You're getting rewarded for playing well throughout the regular season. We needed to treat it like a reward. And so that was just where the idea came from that we need to get everybody together, We need to be spending a bunch of time together, but it doesn't need to be a boring classroom session. We need to be in there, you know, having fun, be at the state, just being with the boys. And then as that happened, it turned into you know, hey, this is going to be a two to three week adventure. Obviously, our families are going to be there with us, and we want them there with us, but we need to make sure we're focused on the goal because this is going to be a very good opportunity for us, as it is every year, but we need to have everyone focused. And you know, everyone just kind of bought into it immediately. And that's one of the things where you talk to a couple of guys and you know, you know, Milkie and Will, and you're not You're never sure if the entire team is going to buy into it.
Speaker 4: And it was almost.
Speaker 3: Immediately that everybody was completely on board and everyone started throwing out ideas, and you know, it's really it's really cool to watch, just from my standpoint, to see the you know, the that entire group come come together like that and realize what we had going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had something special going on. And I felt like in the postseason, especially in the NLDS Max. Even in a Game three loss, the way you guys came back and were resilient instead of just going down and getting blown out, to me, it felt like that kind of just changed everything. Whether it was Bueller throwing the gatorade bucket in the dugout or Tioscar Hernandez hitting a grand slam to bring you within one run and kind of screaming at you who was coming up to the plate, It felt like that game was a turning point. I know that's easy to say, but you got to hit the ball, you got to execute and do all the other things. But did that kind of just show to each other how resilient you were and how you guys were not just gonna go out easy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that Game four was very unique and kind of special to look back and think about kid coming into the you know, coming into the clubhouse that day, we we kind of find out and get told that Freddy's not gonna be able to go, and you know you're in an elimination game, and.
Speaker 4: That's that's obviously a big blow.
Speaker 3: But the bullpen kept coming in all day long say hey, we got you guys.
Speaker 4: We got you, guys.
Speaker 3: We knew it was gonna be a bullpen game for us, and immediately all of those guys just came in and say, hey, we got you guys. Don't worry, We're going to take care of this and just get us. Just get us a couple of runs. It's all you need to do. And you know, the mindset right from the start of the day, even though we got bad news with Freddy not being able to go, you would have thought we were up to nothing in the series. Everyone just felt super calm, super relaxed, and everyone knew we were gonna go out there and win that game.
Speaker 1: You're a big football fan, and you always hear about teams that are successful they take on an identity. Do you feel like the bullpen identity was contagious to the rest of the team the way that they just were, like they called themselves dogs out there.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely, you know they were. They were incredible for us all year long.
Speaker 3: You know, they had to cover a lot of innings, and when you're when you're covering innings, sometimes the numbers may.
Speaker 4: Not look as good as what they should.
Speaker 3: Uh, But we knew that we had one of the best bullpens in baseball, and you know, going into postseason, we knew that was definitely going to be a strength for us. Everyone wanted to talk about, well, you have starters that are hurt, you have this and that, but we knew that we had a big strength. We just had to get get those guys a lead and let them do what they do. And you know, they're their Their mindset and attitude definitely carried throughout the clubhous and uh you know from the position player standpoint, you watch that and your your whole goal is just get those guys a lead and the game is going to be.
Speaker 1: Over before I let you go. Max Moncie, how much does it mean to you to know that your teammates Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts value what you mean to this team. I know there's a lot of noise every off season about different players coming and going, but they have been steadfast that you are their guy and that you mean a lot to this lineup. You are part of the sum being greater than the parts. How much does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: I really can't put it into words. You know, it's a yeah. I mean, it means so much to me and It's one of those things that you know, I've obviously haven't been shy about it. I want to retire wearing a Dodger jersey. And I know that at the end of the day that that ball is going to be in my hands if I just keep performing, They're gonna give me that opportunity. And it's it's something that this place is home to me, the organization, the city, it's it's become it's become home to us, and you know, I love every single every single thing about it. And you know, to just so to hear hear guys that, to hear guys say that, it kind of means everything. And it's, uh, it's really in my mind, the whole reason you play the game and to leave an impact that you are a guy that always helped the team win and is willing to do anything, and whether it's in the clubhouse, on the field, off the field, just do something that can help the team, in the organization. And you know, that's that's something that means a ton to me.
Speaker 1: Well, the city of Los Angeles means a lot to Max Monsey, and Monsey means a lot to the city of Los Angeles. It doesn't fall you know flat on us how much you invest yourself playing for the Dodgers and invest yourself in the city of Los Angeles, Monsey, and I think that's part of the reason why everybody loves you that watches you play and just knows what you're all about the last seven years and can't wait to see you in spring training really appreciate you coming on And I know here in your voice made a lot of people happy out there.
Speaker 3: I certainly hope. So you know, it's obviously a very very tough time right now for a lot of people, but that's that's why, like I said, me and Kelly wanted to make sure we have a lot of a lot of links out there for people to do any type of good for for anyone that's in need. So hopefully, hopefully our little chat brought a smile to some people, and you know that's that's something that'll do some good.
Speaker 1: Thanks as always, Max, you always take care of me. And like I said, this was not just for me, It was for the city of LA to put a smile on their face with two times two time World Series Champion Max Monsey. I'll see you in thirty five days, Max.
Speaker 3: It's coming up quick. I felt like I just got home.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's always sweeter to get back when you're a.
Speaker 3: Champ, right, absolutely, absolutely, I'm ready to get back and run it back again.
Speaker 1: You know, can't wait, can't wait to see you, Monsie.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Yeah, thanks having me on.
Speaker 1: There he goes the man Max Monsey, who definitely cares, cares about the team, cares about the organization, and certainly cares about the city. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Max Monsey will be your third baseman. I told you the Aeronado talk was just talk. And here we are January, what is it now? Ninth and the Cardinals still cannot trade Nolan Aernato. The name is great, but a lot of teams are a little, a little bit concerned that it's not the Aeronado of old. I mean, the slugging has declined, the defense has declined. I love Nolan. I would love to have Nolan on my team, but the Dodgers are set at third base with Maximuncy. And if I had to predict where Nolan Aronado's going, I'm predicting the Boston Red Sox or the Angels. Those would be my two predictions on where Nolan Aernado gets traded to because right now, I mean that is the risk of acquiring a player like Aeronado with backside thirty five years old high contract. The Cardinals, the car Derdinals gambled and they may have lost here because they never won the World Series. Gold Schmid's a Yankee and they're trying to trade Nolan Arenado before spring training. But he's a He's had a great career. He's going to the Hall of Fame, but a lot of teams are skeptical about how much he has left in the tank, no doubt about it. That's why nobody's traded for him yet. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back your reaction to what Max Mountsey had to say, and also will give you the latest on Roki Sazaki and Kei k Hernandez. A lot to get to between now. At eight o'clock right here on five to seventy, LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Go on the home run in to the Dodger pull back your off season coverage of the Blue rolls off. This is off season Dodger spots.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Max Munsey for joining us from his home in Texas, obviously thinking about the city of Los Angelis and the devastating fires in Altadena, Pasadena, Pacific Palisades and unfortunately West Hills. And I don't believe any structures were taken down by the Kenneth fire. But for all the latest breaking news, you can go to kfive six forty. Myself and my family were evacuated because of the fire getting a little too close to our home, and I am at my mom's house, my mom's townhouse and Woodland Hills, and the whole family is here, including the dog. We're gonna spend the night here for a second straight night. I always joke kind of that my mom doesn't really know what I do. She's eighty one, she's a tiny descent. She knows that I like the Dodgers and Lakers growing up and that I talk about them, but I don't think she really understands what I do, except that I go to Dodger games. So, you know, sitting here on couch doing this show talking to Max Muncie, maybe she understands a little bit more, but I'm really not sure. But yeah, we're all here in the townhouse in the Great One aid and it seems like according to the watch Duty app that the Kenneth fire seems to be a little bit more under control. So, like I said, Tim Conway Junior and all the great people at KFI can keep you updated on all that as we talk baseball until the top of the hour. Our next Dodger talk show will be next week. I'll keep you updated on which day that's going to be. I don't know off the top of my head right now, but stay tuned. We'll have a show for you next week. And you could follow me on Twitter or x as they say now at the Real Underscore DV and on Instagram at officially Vassay. And I know a lot of people that have lost their homes two of these fires, and it just stinks. And you just got to keep moving forward and we can all rally around each other to try to help them. But no matter where you live, losing your home is awful. So we're with you and we're here to distract you with some baseball talk until the top of the hour. That's when we'll hand things off to Fox Sports Radio. Roki Sazaki. That is the next big free agent to sign, Yes, bigger than Alex Bregman. Roki Sazaki is the prize. The twenty three year old right hander from Japan is coming to the States earlier than where he can make a lot more money, similar to shoe Aotani, who came to the States earlier than where he could have made big money. That's what adds to the allure of signing Sazaki because you would have him under team friendly control for six years. So not only do you get him now, but you get him for the next six years, and you'll see his career evolve and a lot of people expected to be a really great career. So you not only get him at twenty three, but you get to see him do things, you know, from twenty three to twenty nine, in the prime of his career. So that's special. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, Roki Sazaki. The first day that a team can sign him is January fifteenth, and it's not just some random day. Rob Manfred announced during the last owners meetings before Christmas that he was going to force Suzaki to be posted during the twenty twenty five international signing period, not the twenty twenty four signing period, so that begins on January fifteenth, and because Sazaki was posted during the Winter Meetings first week of December, he has a four days to sign with a team. So the window opens on January fifteenth, but it will close on January twenty third, so he's going to sign in between that window. And people keep asking me, are the Dodgers a slam dunk to sign Sazaki? I wouldn't characterize it that way. All I can tell you is it's a slam dunk. The Dodgers really want Sazaki. That's a slam dunk, And teams around baseball and people I talk to at the Winter Meetings were handicapping this as a Padres versus Dodgers sweepstakes between for Roki Sazaki, So that's what people think. It's Padres or Dodgers. But now we're starting to hear that there are some teams that you wouldn't even expect Sazaki to entertain signing with. And his agent, Joel Wolf said at the Winter Meetings that he's not a guy that loves the spotlight. We're starting to hear that more and more. And the lights are the brightest in Los Angeles, so you got to be ready for that. And when you hear about possibly Otani having an influence on Sazaki signing with the Dodgers, I'm sure Otani has expressed, and Yamamoto as well have expressed to the World Baseball Classic teammate all the positives and all the great things the Dodgers are about and how they help players get better. But I don't see Otani pressuring Sazaki to sign with the Dodgers. I don't see Otani texting him or facetiming him with decoy every single day. That's not who Otani is. And I started to read about how Otani supposedly recruited I Sun Kim, my understanding that people know firsthand that wasn't the case at all. It just so happened that Kim was working out at the same facility this offseason as Otani was a couple of times and they spoke. There was no recruitment or Otani trying to pressure anybody to sign, And that kind of fits in with American free agents. Nobody's trying to tell another player to take less money to come here, or just really pressuring somebody to sign with the team just because they want to have them on their on their ball club. That just doesn't happen. So I don't see Otani doing the full press recruitment of Suzaki. I'm sure he has been very forthcoming with whatever questions and answers that he may may be able to provide Sazaki. But you know, a full court press recruitment on Haisan Kim or even Sazaki, that's just not the case. Eight six six seven two five, And he is the phone number. Let's go out to u kaipa. Sam, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Sam, I'm doing well, Dave, how are you? I'm doing great. It was great to hear Max Munsey's voice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, And I agree with you. We should We already have a third base and we don't need Dylan Aeronaudo. Max Munsey is awesome. He lengthen lengthens the lineup and we just need to stand pat at third base.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like Max Mounsey is one of the more underappreciated Dodgers, And I feel like that happens, Sam, when a guy's been on the team for seven years. You know, before he got hurt, he was playing really good third base, and even when he came back he made some nice plays in the postseason, and he's a guy that takes a lot of pitches, gets on bass, will hit a home run, and in a lineup like the Dodgers have, he is part of the sum. Is a guy that is greater with the Dodgers than without the Dodgers. And I feel the same about Tai Oscar Hernandez. The sum is greater than the parts with those two guys.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, most definitely. I'm so excited about the new season coming up and and excited that we got Tao back as well. I wanted to share if I could, where I was or where my family and I were during the home run Freddie Freeman's home running Game one.
Speaker 1: Oh please, se we need, we need some good spirits, good vibes, no doubt. Tell us where you were when Freddie hit his walk off grand Slam. Well, we were.
Speaker 5: At home watching it on TV, obviously, and uh, it was eight of us, my wife and our six kids, and it was just it was.
Speaker 3: Like so memorable.
Speaker 5: Everybody when that when that ball was hit, I was immediately in shock. Everybody else is just screaming and yelling and going crazy, and I was the only one and that was, you know, quiet, and I was just in shock, and I couldn't believe, literally, I couldn't believe what I had just seen, and and it just it was just so surreal that it happened. And I remember it vividly to the nineteen eighty eight home run with Gibbie, and it was just it was just it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's our generation, your kids generation of what we experienced in nineteen eighty eight because I was a teenager, a young teenager, twelve years old when just about thirteen, when Gibson hit his home run, So you know that that was our moment, and now your kids have their moments. Sam.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they'll always remember that, and thankfully for YouTube, will always will always have it whenever we want to see it.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, have you showed your kids the Gibson home run, Sam, because that's on YouTube and very clear pictures.
Speaker 5: Yes, they've probably almost to the point where where they're growing super tired of watching that video. And thankfully, you know, Freddy hit this one and now and now they can start growing tired of this video. I don't think I ever will, but but yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It was excellent all right, Sam, be safe out there and you Kaipa, and thanks for sharing that with us. And like I said last week, Sam was listening. Of course, I don't care if it's the dog days of August five years from now. I want to hear where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off grand Slam. You can call in with that anytime, because that is not only one of the greatest moments in Dodger history, that will go down as one of the greatest home runs in postseason history. First time ever in postseason history, a walk off grand slam in a World Series game. I mean, just unbelievable for Freddy, for the team, for his dad. They could show that in Kirk Gibson's home run forever. I'll never get tired of it. So thanks for sharing, Sam, appreciate that. Hey, before we run out of time tonight, I just want to let you know that, Yeah, Roki Sazaki is at the top of the free agent list right now, with January fifteenth just a few days away, six days away from the first first possible day that he can sign with the team the window January fifteenth to January twenty third, But also don't count out the Dodgers to sign reliever Tanner Scott. From what I've been told, that's real and now we're hearing the Mets are interested in Tanner Scott. If they were interested in Tanner Scott, why haven't they signed him yet? Yeah? I know they signed Jan Soto to a big contract, but if they wanted Tanner Scott, why haven't they signed him him yet. The Dodgers and Tanner Scott have been kind of eyeing each other all off season long, and I would not count the Dodgers out, as hard as that is to believe. After extending Tommy Edmund, bringing back to Oscar Hernandez, signing Blake SNeW, Yes, there is a possibility the dot a real possibility the Dodgers could sign Tanner Scott. They need another major league arm in that bullpen. Tanner Scott's really good and it's not just a talk out there. The Dodgers and Tanner Scott have been eyeing each other all off season long. Also, part of the off season retooling of the roster included the Dodgers trading Gavin Lux on Monday to the Cincinnati Reds. What that does for the Dodgers is obviously give Gavin an opportunity to not be a part time player. With the logjam, the Dodgers have now up the middle with versatile players that can play both second and short and even in some instances, the outfield. But it also frees up a forty man roster spot. The Dodgers are at thirty nine right now, so if they are going to sign Roki Sazaki, they need a spot on their forty man roster, and now they have two actually because Diego Kartaya was on the forty man roster for the Dodgers starting last year. So right now the Dodgers have two spots on their forty man roster after the trade of Gavin Lux and Diego Kartaya, which opens one up for Roki Sazaki and also opens up the door wider for the possibility to bring back keyk Hernandez. The Dodgers want him back. Keyk wants back in, so they're I don't know why people think that's not a real possibility. Uh, that is a real possibility, and keyk Hernandez loves being a Dodger. The Dodgers probably are the best fit for Key k Hernandez. They both know that, and there's no urgency to sign Key k right now. He's not going to sign before Alex Bregman. So uh, that's where that stands. And now the Dodgers, with the trade of Kartaya and lux have given themselves a little bit more roster flexibility. And when it comes to Clayton Kershaw, he's coming back, but he's going to start the year on the injured list, So the Dodgers don't want to have to fill a forty man roster spot with Kershaw right now. It's possible they me do that now, but the likelihood is Kershaw starting the season on the sixty day IL and you could start putting guys on that injured list the first day of spring training. But now with two roster spots on their forty man the Kershaw signing may be imminent because you know he wants as a free agent. Technically, you can't get in with the trainers and the medical staff of a team, even if you are Clayton Kershaw. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Kershaw signing now happens before the end of January. And certainly the Dodgers are holding a spot open for Roki Sazaki in the immediate future, and from there they'll find a way to maneuver, and they're looking for another, like I said, major league reliever, whether that's Tanner, Scott or somebody else. So you gotta have forty man roster spots to be able to bring in even more talent to a loaded roster, not only major league roster, but also a forty man roster. And if you look at the Dodgers, by the way, at second and shortstop, they have five players currently on their roster that can play second and short, and they also have four of those five that can play the outfield, including High Song Kim. He is not just a second baseman. The Dodgers ce High Sung Kim as a Korean version of Chris Taylor and keyk Hernandez, a super utility player that can play second, that can play short, that can play the outfield. So you got Tommy Edmund who can play second, short in center at a high level. You got High Song Kim that can play second short, and I guess there's video John Harttungue told me of Kim playing left field in Korea. You got Mookie Betts who can play short, second, right field, center field. You got Miguel Rojas who can play all four infield positions. And you got Chris Taylor who has one more year left on his contract at a very high price tag, so for now he's on the roster. So you have a lot of versatile players that can play a lot of different positions, and Gavin Lux just didn't fit in that equation anymore. All right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thank you for being with us. You can podcast the show, you can podcast or interview with Max Munsey. We will be back with you next week. Stay close to x and Instagram for the update on when our shows are next week. And like I said, for all the late breaking news on the fires and where you can get help, our sister station AM six forty KFI can provide you with all that. And please please be safe out there, please be vigilant, and please let's take care of each other. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radios next see you on the eight, one eighth