Speaker 1: Hey everyone, Welcome back to Local Ag. It's November six, twenty twenty five. Melody Divers from the Bedford County ag Advisory Board and it's time for our sixteenth episode. Our podcast dives deep into the world of farming, learning more about our local food and the incredible stories behind the people who grow our food. Joining us today we have Darthy McIntyre with the Forest Farmers Market.
Speaker 2: Welcome, good morning.
Speaker 1: And we have Doug and Lucy Overstreet joining us from Idlewild Farm.
Speaker 2: Welcome, y'all, thank you, good morning.
Speaker 1: The over Streets have a farm located in Bedford, Virginia, and their farm has become a beloved source for quality pork poultry in this region. And I'm thrilled to have you all come today because we're going to.
Speaker 2: Talk a lot about turkeys today.
Speaker 1: I love it so welcome everybody, and I'm going to start with the over Streets. So I'm just being nosy and I know our listeners want to hear this too. Give us a little background on the farm itself. We want to know all the details, how it was started, what you currently offer, and even how you got the name for your farm.
Speaker 2: So just we're nosy. Tell us all the things.
Speaker 3: So our farm started in two thousand and eight, which happens to be the same year our families started. We got married in two thousand and eight, and I wanted a farm. Yeah, and I got what I wanted, so good for you, which maybe in hindsight was maybe not the wisest wish.
Speaker 2: No, it was great.
Speaker 3: So Doug's family is from Bedford, the grandparents, great aunts, great grandparents.
Speaker 2: I mean with a last name over street. I know y'all from here, that's right.
Speaker 3: And they had a farm then needed some and luckily the farm already had a name. Uh huh, because that is not my expertise of naming things. So his great no, you have to tell this part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my great uncle purchased a property prior to World War two and yeah, so it's been in the family since before then. And so they named it out of Wild Farm. And so that's where.
Speaker 5: We do you know how they came up with the idle word.
Speaker 4: No, we have some guesses, and we think that I think LaGuardia out of New York used to be called Ottawa Airport, and when Roy came back from the war, that's the course. Maybe maybe not, but they think that's where the name came from. Was there.
Speaker 1: Well On a side note, not that I know your farm's history, but I'm treating myself this year and rereading or re listening to books from my childhood now that I'm an adult and see how they land or why did I like them when I was younger. So I'm now in the Anne of Green Gables series and they have an idle wild mentioned there. Very idyllic, you know setting, just pure space, and when I was reading, I was like, oh, my gosh, did this have the connection there? But no, I know what you're talking about as well, but I think it just gives off that image of it's a pure space in nature that is being used not magically but as it was intended.
Speaker 2: Kind of.
Speaker 1: That's what I the beautiful aspect of it. So when I was listening to that in my little journey I'm doing with my books that I'm doing this year, I just got really excited when I heard.
Speaker 2: It in the book. But anyway, this's this a side note or the Aman Brothers album. Okay, and see we have lots lots of theories here.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so we'd started at No. Eight. You know, we started off as actually produce, and then we started having our children. You know, she was unable to do as much work in the garden and my thumbs as pail as the moonlight. So we ended up switching over to pork, pastured poultry and hens, eggs and the eventually turkeys. Yes, the rest is history.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything else you'd like to add, Lucy about the background? Maybe how did the community get to know you?
Speaker 2: First?
Speaker 3: We started by what a little sign at the end of the driveway, eggs for sale? And then I guess it's twenty ten. The forest market can't.
Speaker 5: If I contacted you or you contacted me. But it was a great it is a great relationship, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were right there from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: We did that for ten years and then.
Speaker 5: I think it was about ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was really fun being a part of the energy to get that market going.
Speaker 5: And yes, they were their core to the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: First the first ten years we had about maybe ten people that stayed that ten years that just continue to stay with us and grow the market. And then life goes on and kids grow up and soccer happens, and.
Speaker 1: So the market is a past chapter, not a current chapter.
Speaker 3: That's correct. We stopped in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: I think it is the last pretty recent yeah, all right, but still the connections and relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Darthy was like, I.
Speaker 1: Have somebody that I really want you to interview, and of course it was y'all and she thinks very highly of you, and I was like, I know them. Our kids used to bebop around together and hang out in mot Veil. So that was this is fun, a little reunion. So since it is November, the month that houses Thanksgiving, we want to hear the details of local turkeys that you sell, and so folks are on our local ag Facebook page Bedford County Local Ag. You saw a few weeks ago that there was something about your farm and a Google form that people could fill out to order fresh turkeys for this Thanksgiving. So are you all sold out for twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: We are not actually with a ohkyin I kind of drug my feet on putting it out there. We have never had a problem selling out though.
Speaker 1: So but if listeners are interested, they have there's a spot. So at the end, maybe you can share how people can get in contact with you, but tell us about what it's like to raise local turkeys, especially around Thanksgiving, and what that means for folks to get a local turkey for their holiday.
Speaker 3: Well, when I say I got a lot, sorry, start, you actually have to order them like May or June. Okay, they are a five month growing period, and so they come to the farm in July and they grow pretty quickly. We get them out on pasture by August and that's where they stay until November, third week of November.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how old are they you said, when you get them a day old?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're like really itty bitties all right.
Speaker 1: And do you have a particular breed or is there something that folks need to know about in regards to what to look for when purchasing a turkey.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, we have done a few different breeds in the past. This year, we're actually doing two different breeds. There was a funny little back and forth between the supplier and I and he did have them, and then he didn't have them, and it turned out being that we got the broad breasted bronze and the white broad breasted. So we have the white turkeys and the broad I mean bronze.
Speaker 1: Sorry, And do you personally have a favorite in raising and is there a favorite in the palette.
Speaker 3: Well, they both are more of a what would you say, not engineered but.
Speaker 2: Commercial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're not heritage breed. Okay, we kind of we've done heritage breed in the past as well, and really the price points kind of gets us not only for the price of a chick, but they take longer to grow, so so we've kind of went back to our to the how I call them commercial turkeys kind of like them. Uh yeah, so so so yeah, so that's why we switched back to them. And the taste is great either way. I think it's the same way when we go with our chickens, like with our Freedom Rangers versus the Corners cross like you know, they are different, but they still have that same good quality. I think has a lot to do with the pasturing and and and the bug eating and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So all right, so we don't have Sorry, no, I was gonna say that was going to be my next question about your farm practices, but before I jumped my my next question too soon. But if someone does want to order a turkey and they fill out the form, they'll come to your farm and pick it up.
Speaker 4: So we processed the week before usually so Thursday's Thanksgiving, so we'll process either Friday or Saturday the week before and keep them chilling. Then either that Sunday or Monday will pick up times okay, and yeah, they can come out. It's like a little semi party, you know.
Speaker 5: We get this nice to see people that get their turkeys each year and you'll see them there. You might not see them through the season, but you'll get there, get to walk the farm if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Oh, excellent, okay.
Speaker 4: Especially now that we don't do the markets, like that's one thing we really miss is the community aspect of that. And so we have most of our customers are returning customers, Like we don't early advertise on Facebook much but so it's mostly like returning customers on the email and so we haven't seen them since last thing skipt okay, so it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Do you have a good customer base, the return repeat customers, Yes for.
Speaker 4: The most part, And yeah, that's so that's what we kind of do. It's kind of our version of a customer appreciation day.
Speaker 1: So when you were talking, both of you said about getting the turkeys out on pasture. Can we talk about your unique farming practices and for folks that don't know how this looks, what does raising a turkey raising chickens? What does that look like on your farm? And why do you utilize the method of farming that you utilize? So just really spell it out for all of us.
Speaker 4: How long we got?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a little bit to unpack.
Speaker 3: I think I'll go back to maybe just the life of the turkey and start with the day old chick and then as soon as they have enough size and feathers to be out of the heat lamp, we can put them out on the pasture where they will stay in their pen, and then we move the pen so they can be on fresh grass. Then when they get to another sizeable development, we can put them with a fence around them. And the fence is a movable, portable fence that we can then change where their pasture is so they can have access to the green grass.
Speaker 1: Do you I know, like with cows, we have to have certain forges in front of them, you know, certain types of grasses. Is that the same thing with chickens and turkey?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: I mean I think really the microbes and the bugs and stuff that they're getting I think is more important.
Speaker 1: I'm just really interested in is there a particular model of what is that called when for folks that don't know, when you're moving your moving your crop of turkeys and chickens, what is that called rotational greezing? I knew the answer, but I wanted, Yeah, he's not You're gonna have to pull it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the answers, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we rotate him, right, And I don't know if it's not as much as for the foraging like cows and stuff, but as much as for just the biological activity, you know, so they can get their bugs and there and access to dirt because they their crops are used to digest a lot of it as well, right, So so you know, so it's it's kind of the reason why we do it, and I think that's what helps with the taste of the bird. It's not because we do supplement them too with the grain and so they get that extra added nutrition and it helps with the meat.
Speaker 1: So, how how many turkeys are we talking about that y'all are raising right now?
Speaker 4: We usually try to do about between thirty and forty Okay, but we decided to do plus fifty this year.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you got kicked it up a little bit, she did.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, all right, y'all behave well all fifty plus survive well.
Speaker 4: So, in the past we've always had trouble with and it's been in the breweder turkeys are very fragile first few weeks of life. So in the past we've actually had a lot of mortality, uh you know, trouble with them surviving in the first few weeks of their life. But we kind of figured out how to well, we got lucky on lately for the last three or four years where we haven't lost many, that's all. And so I think we ordered sixty and so with the expectation that that we'd probably lose well five six years ago we ordered sixty and hopefully we had thirty.
Speaker 2: So we'd had it. Had Oh, I didn't realize the ratio is that well.
Speaker 4: No, it's it was Oh it was.
Speaker 2: The operator, yes, not like corners.
Speaker 4: Yes, we found that out.
Speaker 2: Have a corner in your brooder.
Speaker 3: They oh, this is interesting, and so you have to fashion around.
Speaker 2: Corner. How did you figure this out? Just you saw it? Or yeah? They learning books and I'll just see it.
Speaker 3: So they will pile in the corners and literally suffocate each other.
Speaker 2: So get out. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you wake up and you've got to pile a ten dead turkeys that and.
Speaker 2: They literally did it to themselves. That was nothing. Well, it could be the colder temps.
Speaker 3: You know, they want to have heat, and so they just naturally pile up and then you know it's just drop them in the bucket like ten, twenty, thirty, forty fifty. You know, there goes one hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: So predators, right, okay, we are bruders outside. I mean it's it's undercover, but we don't have it in a in a lock barn or anything like that. So you can have your night night predators come by and they could scare them all into a corner. Two, how you could do it as well?
Speaker 1: So how do this is not something I was thinking of asking, But what do you do about that? Does it just happen or do you have different things? I know some people put like fake things out to just to scare or have sound machines, like how now involved.
Speaker 4: You get outside? Dogs work pretty well? Okay, because I mean they're close to the house, right, yeah, and so yeah, yeah, so and and we've done many a night with a with a you know, shotgun and waiting on them too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what warriors or three years ago we lifted it up off the ground the brewer and that helped a lot.
Speaker 2: That helped a lot. Awesome.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you guys, you know, I'm always thinking of Ross going up the steps with the couch pivot. Pivot pivot, you know, I'm thinking farming is the Quinn central pivot. It seems like you're always having to refigure, step back, recalculate.
Speaker 3: And the trouble with turkeys, we only do them one time a year, so we always forget, oh no, from.
Speaker 2: July to the next Oh, we wanted to remember this next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there goes to notekeeping.
Speaker 1: That's how we are with cider because we don't do cider all year and inevitably will go didn't we say last year we were gonna? But then when we do remember something like I five everybody here, we remember that it was a year and we remember that. Soho, who do you all get your inspiration from?
Speaker 2: Like, is there a.
Speaker 1: Particular person book ideology who really like drives your enthusiasm? For farming or your farm practices, like where did the inspiration come from?
Speaker 3: Initially I bought pretty hard into Joel Salatin and bought the Yukan Farm Book, and I heard him speak about it, you know, all the things followed him pretty closely. Never went to his farm though, and then that was kind of where we got our style of pasture poultry and wanting to do a system where the animals and their animal ness is actually determining what you do instead of it being based on like the human preference, it's based on the animal characteristics.
Speaker 2: So just playing into what they're already providing.
Speaker 3: That's right, okay, and what they naturally do, because training chickens is not very easy.
Speaker 1: It doesn't that doesn't sound like a fun thing I would want on my bingo card. So if you're following the ideas of dol, my thought then is do you have other animals grazing in the same areas with your chickens and turkeys?
Speaker 2: We had a pony the other day.
Speaker 4: So when we were at our height, probably you know, we've scaled back a lot, but yeah, we had the well, we we would sometimes move the chickens in behind the pigs and stuff, but.
Speaker 2: We also had that trouble. There's the pig, the chicken. Yeah out the craziest thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of her, we could go down this road. But so yeah, so so after that we were kind of like, all right, so we kind of got them apart. We think she had an iron deficiency, so I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but whatever was not right there.
Speaker 1: She was a.
Speaker 4: Breeder and I think she was lacking something, but whatever, So so yeah, so but yeah, I mean a lot of that with with the and with with Joel's you know, especially with the pork. We were noticing that moving them around, getting them on grass was big for the for the pork because it seemed like it helped their digestion. They would eat and they'd go into the fields and you know, almost like it was a digestive thing. So it was so yeah, so Joel was a big one, but I think more importantly than Joel was.
Speaker 3: So Joel was kind of like a springboard. And then we were not following him exactly. You know, we don't have the cows and different you know, the grazing technique wasn't a picture fit. But the other thing that really influenced us was just the nutritional side. Farming, and I read a lot about Sally Fallon and her nourishing traditions and just a different way of eating and providing food. And what that looked like was, you know, just having a more whole food base to your diet. And so that was a big part of even wanting to continue farming really is just to have that food right there in your backyard and also as a product that other people in your community can have access to.
Speaker 2: Easily, beautifully said.
Speaker 1: So we talked about that there are turkeys still available. Can you share with folks how they can secure a twenty twenty five turkey from y'all's farm?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the easiest is probably just the email to Idle Wild Farm. It's I D L E W I L D F A R M at gmail dot com. And we have a website you can check out as well.
Speaker 5: When people come up when they pick up the turkey, will they be able to purchase any pork or chicken? Do you have that there still or good?
Speaker 4: So, yeah, we've you know, we have cut back for we still actually still sell to the health Nut and Lunchberg the Well in Bedford, so we still do about two to three hundred meat chickens a year and we have we processed nine pigs this a year or six or something. So but yeah, so we still have that, and yeah we do on farm sales occasionally when you can catch us. But but yeah, so if if you do get a turkey, you can come out and we'll probably have pork and chicken available for sale as well.
Speaker 5: Eggs not so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're kind of our egg production has dropped off dramatically. We lost one of our dogs, Morgan. Yeah, she passed away at summer. Merlin's doing a great job, but I think we're slowly getting cold out by the foxes and and and and birds. But it's about time to replenish that. But eggs are they're they're limited.
Speaker 1: Early enough for your family and that's that's where it needs to stay. So you mentioned that people can find your pork and chicken in different spots.
Speaker 2: Well, and what was the place.
Speaker 4: In the health nut when her forest?
Speaker 2: Yep, they still and that's pork and chicken.
Speaker 4: They do pork and chicken at the health Nut the well every now they have.
Speaker 5: Eggs at the well. I've got your eggs.
Speaker 1: And with pork, do you sell cuts or are you selling if someone wants to buy porn and balk, can they do.
Speaker 2: A pork share with you?
Speaker 4: So we do, so we're selling them by the cut. Yeah, we don't do the whole and half hogs much anymore just because we're so we only we only do like you know, eight to nine a year, right, so and we don't have any this year, so for this is coming up here.
Speaker 1: So all right, Well, I think that we've really Uh I'm excited that you still have turkeys leftover. So if listeners want to be a part of having a local Bedford County turkey.
Speaker 2: They can do that.
Speaker 1: And uh, the other thing is is there anything else we need to know about y'all your farm or anything else? Because we're getting ready to go into announcements, but is there something that we didn't go over that you just.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, we need to say this.
Speaker 3: I guess if you want to try farming, I encourage you greatly. We love to be a resource for people if people want to come out check out what we do because it is unique. We kind of we're not the fanciest farm out there. We just kind of make it happen with what we got, so that can be encouraging. The people to see like, hey, I can do this too, right, It's pretty accessible coming from a like an input status. You know, you don't have to buy all in to get a few chickens and check it out.
Speaker 5: So I.
Speaker 3: Like to encourage people to come out and just see how it is. A lot of times they're surprised that it's really not as big as you might in your mind thinking it is. And then I also love to include children in agriculture. We have four of our own and they may or may not be farmers when they grow up, and that's fine too, but just to have them experience being outside with farm animals is very healthy and great for kids, good experience for them to have.
Speaker 1: So I think what you just said, whether they're farmers or not, I think any farm kid that lifestyle is not in vain because whether they pursue farming or not, the work ethic, just knowing where their food comes from, there's so many things you can glean just by having your child around it, and whether or not they pursue it or not, it's not in vain.
Speaker 2: It's still going to be. I'm glad we did that. There's a lot to unpack there. Yeah sure, oh yeah, and just.
Speaker 3: The consistency, you know, like it's every day m hmmm, doesn't matter if it's one hundred or a negative.
Speaker 1: Fife work ethic, Yes, yes, and something can. You're very welcoming about your encouragement and offering and folks to stop by. I love that, Thank you for that. And how do they do that? I'm assuming you don't want people just to pop in. What does that look like if someone wants to chat with you or learn more?
Speaker 3: Right, So, when we have initial contacts for customers, a lot of times I want to make a point to meet them and offer the farm tour just kind of check it out. Moving forward, we will set up times they can come pick up product. And because we don't always have time to meet and greet and chat understood, even though that's a lovely way to do life, it's a little more busy than that. So generally just reaching out through email.
Speaker 1: And give us, give us the ways people can connect with you one more time. So I love this idea of face to face, get to know who's the people raising and growing your food. And then, like you said, you can't always stop what you're doing and have a meet and greet.
Speaker 2: But if you schedule something.
Speaker 1: Everyone can set time aside and make it a meaningful connection and I love that. That is so welcoming. So give folks the connecting points one more time about how they can reach you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a website with all our information on it. It's www dot idlewildfarm dot org and you can email us through that and has our phone number and everything wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, guys. It was great chatting with you and just getting to learn a little bit more about folks. I went and raising our food right here in Bedford County. So since we have Darthy with us today and Darthy you are all things forest farmers Market, go ahead and tell folks about what's going on with the forest Farmer's market.
Speaker 5: Sure, so we are still having markets. We changed times right now from nine to we were eight to noon. We are now nine to noons. So there's a little bit more light, a little bit more warmth, a little more camaraderie there going on. We will go till November twenty second. November twenty second is kind of like a holiday market. We have approximately sixty vendors that day, all varieties. There will be other farms in the area that might have turkeys there too, because there's quite a few. In the beginning, when I first had the over streets with us, we didn't have that many people doing turkeys, and now it seems that I think I have three or four.
Speaker 2: It will be there too that my or might not.
Speaker 5: They need to check with that particular vent rate kind of thing. And then we'll have a market on December thirteenth, which is a holiday market right before Christmas, and we'll have about fifty five inders then.
Speaker 2: But you will not have market in January or week go.
Speaker 5: Once a month, we take a little bit of a break, and then we go the second Saturdays of the month from January to April. Ok those are nine to noon.
Speaker 2: So you're never a month without the market.
Speaker 1: That just may look unless it snows, right, And I would say to look at your Facebook page.
Speaker 5: Facebook, and there's a website Forrest Farmersmarket dot com. I try and keep that updated at least with the dates.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's that is a good resource. So we've talked about Thanksgiving turkeys and going to the market to get what you need. Now we're going to talk about Christmas trees. Hatcher Christmas Trees will be open for just one weekend in twenty twenty five and you can join them November twenty eight through thirtieth to get your Christmas tree. All trees are sixty dollars. They're located at forty sixty four Phoenix Mill Road and that's in Bedford as well. To get up with them, you can call five four zero three three zero nine one one three. They also have a Facebook page and under Hatcher Christmas Trees, and on that Facebook page they say what type of trees they have, so if you're looking for a particular tree, they note that on their Facebook page. So again Hatcher Christmas Tree. Christmas Tree sales will only be the weekend of November twenty eighth, twenty ninth, and thirtieth, so we are just rolled up.
Speaker 5: They don't have a little bit of crafters that day too, don't they.
Speaker 1: I think I saw that they're going to have it's a new this year, like pottery and things like that, so I think it's going to be a fun event to go out there. We've got our Christmas tree there maybe two or three years. He's they're a really nice family and we enjoy chatting with them. Last year that we just went out calfield and got an old cedar tree.
Speaker 2: And kept it.
Speaker 1: Really just a little hometown, little country Christmas. But we like working with the Hatchers a lot. They're great folks. December third at seven pm is our next ag Board meeting and this is open to the public. Our meetings are at the County Building on Falling Creek Road, and again December third at seven pm. Our ag Board meeting is always open to the public, so join us if you want to. And then January twentieth, spring Lake at six pm will there will be the Bedford Beef Producers. They will be having an educational meeting basically talking to folks about estate planning in regards to agriculture. And you can be in farming or just interested in farming.
Speaker 2: Have cows, not have cows.
Speaker 1: It's really they just if this is something that you think you could learn from, they invite you again spring Lake at six pm. If you want more information, you can talk to Scott Baker who is our county Extension agent and his office number is five four zero five eight six seventy six seventy five. All right, so please remember to explore all of our local ag podcasts and you can download the free media Squatch plus app to access this and numerous other local podcasts, and we invite you to discover and enjoy them all there. This is a great resource for really staying in the loop with your community. So wonderful option there. And we're always, always, always grateful for Media Squatch and their crew. They're making the local ag podcast a reality, putting up with us and the trains and all the things that We're always grateful, big thanks to our guests today, and we want to wish everyone listening a very happy Thanksgiving. We hope it's filled with love, good food, and great memories. This is Melody Divers reminding you to be good to yourself and be good to others.