Speaker 1: Welcome to day six of Halloween Week with Wicked and Grim. My name is Jacko, and although there are only two days remaining, I will continue and remain your master of ceremonies until Halloween is done. After that, I guess I might kick my feed up on a little vacation, but I will be sure to be careful in my travels and as should you. You see, the story today deals in a murderous family who took advantage of travelers. They lured them in by means of their family business, a lodging in. It was there when tired and weary tourists would let their guard down, only to be struck when list expected. In fact, this case would later spawn a vicious Hollywood horror movie, and it was called The Devils Rejects, Ladies, gentlemen, theyse and them's. It is time to present to you your hosts Ben and Nicole to tell you the tale of the Bloody Benders.
Speaker 2: Jacko and his countdown. There is only two days left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why, I thought you were mid sentence. You just stared at me.
Speaker 2: You're just stared at me. That was so much The hell with you?
Speaker 3: I was like, and yeah, where are you going with this, Well.
Speaker 2: That's shocking. It's shocking.
Speaker 3: It is very much. So hopefully you guys have your Halloween costumes and Halloween candy ready to go, because you're running out of time.
Speaker 2: But he's got to stop the campdowns here. It's already making me miss Halloween week.
Speaker 3: You're already like thinking in past tense, like it's gone already.
Speaker 2: No, we said, got two days left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're still in the best of it. We're not even at the climactic moment of Halloween itself yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, So two things I wanted to talk about on Halloween Day. Okay, So we're doing a live, Yes, we are. So we're doing a live. It will be on Instagram and we're going to be doing it at six pm Pacific Standard time, correct, and then after that's over, so like there, I guess you can kind of chat with us, ask us questions, you can see what our Halloween costume is, and then we will be bouncing over to Patreon after that for a live just with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's like almost like the pre party will be on Instagram and then like like the after party. I guess, well, I guess it's not the parties on Instagram the after parties on Patreon. Okay, there we go.
Speaker 2: We's the actual party.
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of what I was thinking of subscribing it. But the actual parties Instagram, and then the after party is Patreon.
Speaker 2: And then super Cool. We will also be having a giveaway on our socials on Halloween Day for a T shirt and we also need to release it, but bend it up. A new piece of merch we did. We waket ingram, so we got to share that because you could you could literally win that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the design, we're going to put it up on Instagram and facebooks. You can check it out. Link for the merch is all down below in the description of the podcast. You can go check it out there right now if you want. But the design is called crime Scene and it's got like a little like body outline and like a little like crime scene going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's really awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. Yeah. And we also feel like we've just been doing that a lot lately.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh gosh, okay, let's stop always have something. It changes. I mean, with the progression of Wicked and Grim, we've had so many just sayings that we use for like a few episodes. It seems, and then we almost bounced to something else, and then like today, I think I've already said bounced twice, which is fucked because I never say bounce.
Speaker 3: But I mean such as the growth and flow of conversation. I guess, like someone will say a word that just like you latch onto for a week, or a saying or you saw something in a TV show. I mean, remember what was that show with all like the three nerd or four Nerdy dudes and Penny and Sheldon the Big Bang Theory, Big Bang Theory?
Speaker 2: How could you not?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know, but like when Sheldon was saying bazinga, like that's what all anyone fucking said for a month.
Speaker 2: I don't think I ever said bazinga into that.
Speaker 3: But like, you know what I mean, I know what you mean. Everyone's dialogue is constantly changing, and I think it's just I mean, considering we're recording ourselves and we have people pointing it out sometimes and we listen to ourselves that we notice it.
Speaker 2: You betcha, Oh yeah, you bet youa.
Speaker 3: Bud, you bet youa.
Speaker 2: We also have people sending us drink photos and I just wanted to say we did get a couple, even via email, and not all of them are alcoholic beverages.
Speaker 3: No, which is totally cool.
Speaker 2: Someone sent a frappuccino yeah, and I was like, yeah, I like frappuccinos too, that's freaking awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Just if you want to be a part of it, I mean, message us, email us, tag us in a post on Instagram or Facebook. Just be like, yo, Wicked and Graham, we're chilling doing the thing. Yeah. I'm actually drinking a margarita right now and coleport it for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all about the margaritas right now.
Speaker 3: I love margaritas.
Speaker 2: Are so good. They're pretty dang good.
Speaker 3: Yeah they are.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's uh, let's back ounce.
Speaker 3: That's bad. You bet ya?
Speaker 2: Okay, ready for this?
Speaker 3: You bet ya?
Speaker 2: Are you all ready for this?
Speaker 3: You bet ya? Kay? I'm not going to say that again.
Speaker 2: Okay. Once upon a time, in the heart of the untamed wild West, where the prairies seemed to stretch on forever, there lived a family, the Bender family. But they weren't your typical family. The family consistent consisted sorry of John Bender, who I will be referring to as Paul or John Senior. His wife, who had many names for some reason. She went by Elvira Elmyra, and I will be referring to her as.
Speaker 3: Ma as Ma Ma Ma, gotcha, okay.
Speaker 2: And then they also had their grown children, So they had John Junior and a daughter named Kate supposedly in quotations. I say supposedly because it's still unclear today if they were actually related in the way that I had mentioned. This is how they portrayed themselves as a family. But being that the two kids were quite affectionate towards each other, it was rumored they may have actually been married or together in a common law situation, rather than brother and sister.
Speaker 3: I see, okay. I mean it's not unheard of though, for family members to live such lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wasn't going to really go there, but that is an option.
Speaker 3: Too, I said it very politely.
Speaker 2: You did. So, Ma and Kate were potentially the only ones that were of like blood relation that I that I could find, But they could all have been to I don't know. That's something that isn't is kind of what's the.
Speaker 3: Word, I have no idea?
Speaker 2: Unclear, okay, unclear in my mindings.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was very unclear. Got it, I follow?
Speaker 2: Okay, So to touch a bit more on the family, John Senior was around sixty years old. He spoke little English with a thick German accent, and was known for his perpetual look of contempt, which is an interesting way to describe someone resting bitch face. Basically, yeah, yeah, gotcha. Yeah guess resting bitch face. That's way better. Yeah ma. She was aged fifty five. She also spoken little English with a thick German accent, and had an unfriendly demeanor, often referred to as a she devil by neighbors. Wow, can you imagine my she devil neighbor?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Holy heck?
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: John Junior, approximately twenty five years old, was handsome with an auburn hair and auburn colored hair sorry, and a mustache. He spoke English fluently with a German acc accent. He apparently had the tendency to laugh kind of aimlessly, though, and this led people to think that he wasn't all that bright. Okay, So, and finally, Kate, she was around twenty three years old, was cultured and attractive. She spoke English well and was a self proclaimed healer and psychic, known for advertising her supernatural powers and advocating free love. Kate was the most social and likable member of the Bender family. She was the face of the family and her popularity attracted people, mostly men, to the family.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so she's a bit of a hippie type.
Speaker 2: Then hippy and a babe.
Speaker 3: I guess a hippie babe, gotcha, peybabe.
Speaker 2: Now we're living in the nineteenth century, a time where the government was offering plots of land to anyone who was to move to canvas and farm said land. Okay, yeah, So the Venders were a family that took them up on this offer, moving to canvas and building a small cabin in the eighteen seventies adjacent to the Great Osage Trail in Labette County. Being that the trail was frequently used by pioneers and travelers heading farther west, the family eventually hung a grocery sign and turned their cabin into a way station and in if you Will. The cabin was divided with a canvas wagon cover to create two rooms. They used the smaller room at the rear for living quarters and the front room as a general store where they sold dry goods and potentially goods from their vegetable garden and apple orchard.
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha. So we're talking like eighteen hundreds year. So they took converted their cabin and just with canvas kind of sorted out sections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one room, and it wasn't very big cabin. But I also think back then two people probably lived. They didn't have high as high of expectation.
Speaker 3: No, they were quite modest living, which yeah, isn't a terrible thing. No, I mean cutting down some of the stuff in today's society would be nice, you know, technology and live in the large kind of means we don't necessarily need that. No, No, hence why we live in a tiny home. I know, I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the front section also contained the kitchen and dining table, where travelers could stop for a meal or spend the night. Kate also offered her services of being able to talk to the dead, which she did charge a price for. The inn was rather unassuming, a refuge for those weary from their long journeys, but behind the facade of hospitality, a sinister secret lay concealed. The ves in wasn't just a resting place for travelers. It would actually be their final resting place. For many unsuspecting visitors.
Speaker 3: Oh that was sinister. It wasn't just a resting place.
Speaker 2: It was their final rest final resting place.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've ever had a better time to do this. Dun dun dun.
Speaker 2: Well just wait, you have to do it again in a secon because I want more align.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll hold the organ the piano. That sounded dirty. So the piano.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. This is how the Bender family would go about receiving their nickname as the Bloody Benders.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, okay, dune dun dun free. I'm just making sure I didn't want to suck it up.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 2: So the bendersmo was chillingly simple. They would invite travelers often loan men, into their inn for a meal or accommodation. They would seat their guests at a table cleverly placed in front of a canvas that separated the diners from the rest of the room, and they had like a certain seat that it was like the guest of honor chair or whatever that they had to sit in right. So as the guests ate their meal, one member of the family, generally Kate, would go about distracting the guests with conversation and you know her good looks and charm yep, while another assumed to be either John Senior or John Junior, approached the curtain with the victim's head outlined through the canvas. They would then smash the skull hidden as they were still hidden behind the canvas, with a hammer Jesus like as hard as they all could, right and just to ensure the job was complete, because sometimes it wasn't. Kate or Ma would then go about slashing the victims through Wow, like, holy shit.
Speaker 3: I'm curious as to why what they're just stealing and taking all this shit?
Speaker 2: I guess or you got to keep listening here. But I'm gonna say one more thing than I forgot to put in here. But I think they I don't know if they always did the slashing of the throat, but it seemed like maybe they always did. But at times after I think hitting them in the head, or maybe right before these victims probably was like what's going on and got like an unedged feeling because there were I think they had said, like at least ten bullet holes within this cabin.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, so individuals firing back or.
Speaker 2: Somethingah like trying to fight back right dang so then the body would fall through a conveniently placed trapped door basically right under them under this chair, into the basement, never to rise again. In the basement, the benders continued with their smooth operation. The lifeless victims were stripped of their valuables, and because many of them were traveling, some victims had a substantial amount of money on them, and not to mention their modes of transportation to boot like their horses or their buggies or whatever, right and.
Speaker 3: Whatever supplies that are carrying with them.
Speaker 2: And yeah, saddles. I think one person had a saddle that was actually worth quite a bit of money.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I can imagine, like an waste leather saddle. Like they're not cheap.
Speaker 2: No, no, So fear and suspicions spread through the surrounding community as travelers passing through the AIRA vanished without a trace. It wasn't long before one particular traveler became entangled in the web of the bloody vendors. Vendors. Did I say vendors?
Speaker 3: You said vendors, which almost makes it sound like actually like that terrifying story, because well, I mean they almost are vendors, like they're offering the.
Speaker 2: Fartality offering a service. Yeah, so his.
Speaker 3: Bloody bending benders.
Speaker 2: Bending benders, I don't know, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was trying with something there just didn't really work.
Speaker 2: So his disappearance would set in motion the events that would eventually finally expose the family of serial killers. His name was doctor William Henry York. Now doctor York was actually in search of a friend. I think it was a neighbor that had went missing in the area. And this neighbor was called George Longcour and his one year old daughter Mary Anne.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I meta, Margarita, what is up with you? What?
Speaker 2: First of we are eating candy on here. Now you're like sipping from a straw really loud.
Speaker 3: Wanted my last sip of margarita.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I apologize.
Speaker 3: You should not to you. Oh shit, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay. But when he himself also went missing, his brothers Ed York and Colonel Alexander York, who was a Civil War veteran, lawyer and politician, so he had like that's a resume, Yeah, no kidding a began an all out search for their missing brother. So they they missed, they mess of the wrong family here this time. Clearly, I mean that always happens, right something, Well not always, but I feel like there's always something like luck generally runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Alexander, leading a company of more than fifty men, like at least fifty men, questioned every traveler along the trail and visited all the area homestead, including the Benders. In. The Benders did, however, admit to him that his brother did stay with them, but that he was alive and well when he left, and suggested the possibility that he had ran into some trouble after his stay with them, like mans, you know, it was the wild West. Yeah, Alexander agreed, this, you know, could be a possibility. But as he continued his investigation, it kept leading him back to the Venders, as several people had unpleasant stories to share about them. But he wanted to do things the right way and insisted on finding evidence. So he didn't want to just like storm a blazon go in there and be like I got you. You know, he wanted to do it the right way.
Speaker 3: Nothing willy nilly here. He's going to do it good.
Speaker 2: Maybe well, I was going to say he's a politician, but actually it probably doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know, sorry.
Speaker 3: In shape.
Speaker 2: So now, around the same time, neighboring communities began to make accusations that the o Sage community was responsible for the disappearances. So the Sage they were like, no, no, no. They arranged a meeting to discuss the disappearances, and it was agreed upon that a warrant would be obtained to search every homestead in the area.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so at this meeting, both Paul and John Junior were there. They were at the meeting, which then led the family to flee their homestead. I wonder why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure we're about to find out why and how many bodies are reasons? Why?
Speaker 2: As you count on your fingers. Yeah, it wasn't noticed initially, but several days after the meeting, a neighbor noticed that the benders in was abandoned and the farm animals they had were unfed and unintended to, which is terrible. This was reported to the township trustee, which then called for volunteers to form a search party. So a lot of reports. I don't even think I said this in here, but it was like hundreds of people, like numerous people going there, which I feel like is just such a disaster, but anyway, it was really back in the day. So a search party, fueled by concern and a growing sense of dread, was hastily assembled. The inn, which had once seemed like a sanctuary, now seemed to hold the air of just gloom. Upon arriving at the inn, they found the empty, the cabin empty of food, clothing, and personal possessions gone. There was also a horrendous odor that could not go unnoticed to some. They knew the smell, and it was the smell of death.
Speaker 3: Cool. Well, I'm just sitting here thinking, like, Okay, the basement. Clearly there's death rotting and bodies down there. I assumed that when they dropped to the basement they were like remembering and like disposing. But doesn't seem like it.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't know a lot of people too. A lot of reports also said that there was like a fly situation, which you know kind of goes hand in hand for that. Yeah, the smell was traced to a trap door, which at this point was underneath the bed and nailed shut. Of course, you know they opened the door. I would fucking run for the hills, but they opened the door, terrified what they might find beneath it, but there was actually no sight of any bodies. There was blood and lots of it on the floor, but other than that, it was an empty room.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: The search needed to continue, though, so starting at this secret door, they broke down the stone slab floors, still finding no human remains. Every corner was searched, every floorboard examined for the hidden hoars they concealed, with the search party even apparently physically lifting the cabin dang, which I'm like, how the fuck does that even happen to dig underneath? But still, other than blood, no remains were found.
Speaker 3: Well, that kind of reminds me of like, have you seen like those Amish communities when they like move a barn. No, they will literally just like get all these dudes together from the Amish community and they literally just lift a barn and walk it somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Oh yeah, oh so there's no foundation whatsoever? Then?
Speaker 3: Hey, No, No, it's just like sitting on the ground sort of thing, huh, or sitting on blocks.
Speaker 2: You have to make sure that you all kind of lifted. I mean, in this sense, they probably didn't give a shit if they kind of wrecked the house, but like you'd have to kind of all lift at the same time. I just feel like could.
Speaker 3: Be well, I mean, picture this. You got a small little cabin. You got one hundred dudes around it. Okay, everyone ready, one, two, three, lift? Sure, it's gonna lift.
Speaker 2: It's gonna lift.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, you.
Speaker 3: Get enough muscle behind it, She's going up.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Okay. So they then started probing the ground with a metal rod. It was the garden beneath the freshly turned soil that the group made their chilling discovery, revealing the remains of numerous victims. The once unassuming Bendorin was now a house of horrors. Doctor Yorke's body was found buried in the orchard, along with numerous other bodies. A body was also found in the well, which I'm like, wouldn't they be drinking the fucking water for the.
Speaker 3: Well that just contaminates your water source?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't even get that.
Speaker 3: Unless they weren't using that well they had another source or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's nasty and various body parts were also found that did not belong to any of the other victims. So like cool, they would find like a random arm or whatever, right, All but one had their heads bashed with a ham and their throats cut. The body of little Marianne, you know, the one year old ahit was buried with her father with no injuries sufficient to cause death, so it was speculated that she may have been buried alive.
Speaker 3: I fuck kind of saw that coming.
Speaker 2: I know that is too much. That is disturbing. Shit. Three hammers, so, a shoehammer, a claw hammer, and a sledge hammer that appeared to match indentations and some of the skulls were all found, as well as a knife with a four inch tapered blade still bearing a stain of blood. Word of the murders spread quickly, and allegedly thousands of people, including reporters from as far away as New York and Chicago, visited the site of the inn.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: The cabin, though, was destroyed by souvenir hunters who took absolutely everything, including the brook, the bricks that lined the south, and the stones that line the well.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like people wanted a piece of this, which is interesting. I mean, I get it, and I don't get it. Nowadays that shit just can't happen though, because like crime scenes are.
Speaker 3: You know, well, I'm I'm thinking that's very akin to the cabin in Evil Dead. It was like people went and took pieces of it and everything, and it was on private property too, but it eventually it actually burned down, so there's not a whole lot left of it, but there are still some stones left from the fireplace and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh are you think still? Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can people not go there and grab them there?
Speaker 3: It's private property? Well, it's it's private property and I can't remember where it's located. But Bruce Campbell, the star of Evil Dead, he plays at Williams. He even warns people. He's like, don't go there because like I can't remember where it is. Yeah, he's like, you'll get a buckshot to your ass. Holy, Like it's redneck area sort of thing.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so don't fucking do that. But it's kind of very similar thing. People were rating it for pieces.
Speaker 2: See, it's kind of sad. Actually, there's a location in town that I used to shoot at that was like a beautiful barn and people would go about stealing pieces of it too, and then it wrecked the structure and the barn like fell in.
Speaker 3: Oh, is that the one went up near the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, and it's I mean, the thing was old and like weathered, so it might have kind of like been facing its doom anyway. But still, I can't imagine people like going stealing things as they want to make a sign for their house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just vandalism.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I also wanted to mention before I finished this off, is the weapons are at museums now, which is really cool, including that knife. But apparently the knife isn't on display because it has like bloodstain on on it, so you have to request it or something. And I think it's in the Kansas Museum.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool, morbid but cool.
Speaker 2: Oh I would yeah, I would request to see if a show. I wonder if people are just like like they want to see it again, or if it's like, yeah, sure, I'll go get it for you. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's kind of it's it's the museum. It's kind of the point. So I'd assume people working there is like understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like saying, like you work at a bar and someone orders a beer and the bartender's like, I got to get you another beer? Are you kidding me? Like it's kind of the point of the place, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I totally get that. I'm just seeing if I can find where what what museum? It was the Kansas Museum of History. So yeah, still bearing reddish brown stains on the blade. It can be seen upon requests.
Speaker 3: Wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is wild. So a nationwide manhunt was launched for the Vendor family, including the offers offerings of large rewards for the family's arrests, and that was something kind of more rare for about then. The Bender's family wagon was found shortly after their disappearance, and it was only a few miles away from their home, and there had been, you know, over the years, numerous apparent sightings, but the family seems to have just vanished into the air, leaving behind only the echoes of their gruesome deeds.
Speaker 3: They were never found. No, oh shit.
Speaker 2: Really really fuck I mean, there's speculation that people because back then, people kind of took things into their own hands often fair enough. Yeah, so there is speculation that maybe maybe some people did get to them and they did get murdered, but maybe they literally just did get away with it too.
Speaker 3: Back then, it was also a lot easier to just like, hey.
Speaker 2: My name is now slip into the shadows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, John Doe and this is Mary Sue and we're a family from upstate somewhere, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, including random body parts recovered and bodies found off site because there were a few of those, it speculated that the Benders killed as many as twenty people from May eighteen seventy one to May eighteen seventy three, so two years. And that's on including the stories. There's many stories of people that got away. Yeah, and I bet you anything, that number even could be higher, and they probably if they got away, literally, there's probably even more. And maybe they're doing the ship before eighteen seventy one, Like well, I.
Speaker 3: Was thinking twenty sounds like a low number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's probably numerous that they didn't even unbury and stuff, right.
Speaker 3: That they're not aware of or yeah.
Speaker 2: Wild And that's the grim till of the Bloody Benders, which apparently is America's first serial killer family.
Speaker 3: That's cool, what's Paul?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 3: It's cool because I mean it's I learned a little bit about. Okay, the whole Bloody Bender situation not cool, trust me. The douchebags and murders. Fuck them. However, there is a movie called The Devil's Rejects that this inspired.
Speaker 2: Which I didn't even know about that, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Well, you were kind of just filming in like before this, just a brief thing about like, hey, they ran an end and the daughter kind of like swooned them a little bit and distracted them and then they caught. And I was like, that sounds like Devil's Rejects. Yeah, and I gave a quick google and yeah, it's based.
Speaker 2: Off of that, which apparently is the movie that scared the shit out of you the most.
Speaker 3: That is one of the horror movies that has bothered me the most ever, and the reason for it is it's it's too real. So imagine, like think of horror movies. There's there's ghost stories, There's there's demons, there's monsters, there's creatures coming out from wherever. There's serial killers, there's the slasher films where they're wearing a mask and they're chasing you with a knife, and it's like the intense music.
Speaker 2: Things that a lot of times you're like, oh, that would never happen to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would never happen to me. And even if it does, it's like it's just such a weird chain of events to lead you there. It's like that's one in a fucking million. Yeah, But with Devil's Rejects the movie, it's the killers are not a monster. They're just another fucking person. They're not some deranged psycho who had this terrible upbringing and got them there. It's just another fucking person that you just happen to run into, and they put you in a position where you're absolutely fucking helpless, And it just got to me so bad. It's such a well done movie. Love the movie, but goddamn it gets to me.
Speaker 2: Oh in the darkness, I just saw Kiwi's eyes. You know, housemers are like reflective. That was freaking creepy.
Speaker 3: Good Oh my god, Halloween decoration.
Speaker 2: Ever, Well, I did want to say too about this family, is their main motive was, is you know, like stealing, right, Yeah, I kind of figured out. But then and a lot of because a lot of people had quite a bit of money, but then some of them didn't actually have very much money at all, but they still want about killing them, and so it was you know, kind of speculated that they also enjoy doing this which is so fucked well.
Speaker 3: I mean, typically someone who's becoming a serial killer, it's not just about the money, it's not just about the trophy.
Speaker 2: It's they enjoy the thrill of it.
Speaker 3: They enjoy the thrill of it. And there's actually even speculations of individuals going on conversations like psychology wise and stuff about how these individuals almost want to get caught, and that's.
Speaker 2: At some point it seems like they really do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why, I mean, that's why they taunt police. Yeah, that's why they write these letters, or that's why they leave a calling card, That's why they get sloppier, that's why they get more brave, and all these things. It's like they kind of want to get caught.
Speaker 2: Well, even think about too, how there's so many people in jail are just random people who oh, I can't think of the word, but they admit to a crime that they didn't do, yeah, because they almost want I don't I don't even know what would they want of that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of almost like a badge of honor, being like yeah, fuck, yeah that was.
Speaker 2: Me, which is so disgusting.
Speaker 3: Yeah that renown that yeah fuck that.
Speaker 2: So anyway, one more thing I wanted to just say too is the this is a this is a pretty dang large story, and like our Halloween episodes are a little bit shorter. So there is a book out there that I kind of got some information from, and it's called Hell's Half Acre, The Untold Story of the Venders, a serial killer family on the American Frontier. That would probably be like a pretty amazing read, just to like if you really wanted to die into this story.
Speaker 3: I can imagine a lot of these cases where it is like major history going back a few hundred years. You can dig really deep, and it's like if there's books on them, usually it's like that person has dug real fucking yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and like there's even quite a bit of photos and stuff. I was a bit surprised how much information was out there, but then there was a lot of reports kind of that you have to be careful because it's so long ago, so like the story, people to kind of change the story a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's always a concern with this sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: The telephone game or whatever it's called. Yeap, So, yeah, that's the freaking story.
Speaker 3: Well well done. I'm kind of actually, like I said, cool.
Speaker 2: It's a cool episode.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of happy you did this one because it's I don't know, like I said, it's kind of going into that horror genre a bit, and it's I kind of learned something like outside of just the realm of what we usually do. It's like, oh, I know something about that that it ties to and that's cool that Factoy, it looks.
Speaker 2: So excited right now.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Generally we end the episode were like, wow, that sucks, Like cool, well, and does this mean I'm gonna have to watch the friggin movie?
Speaker 3: Oh you fucking bet you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I really want to at all. I would weigh rather watch Okay, this is fucked, And I feel like i've I think I shared like a meme or something about this in Patreon, But I would way rather listen to a true crime podcast or watch like a true crime documentary or something that's like true versus that.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Like that, not the oh that's just scares the shit out of me. Like I don't even think it's too much visual. I think is what it is probably.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, fair enough, and yeah, it's it's not it's a story to entertain rather than a story to educate, you know what I mean. Like when you're listening to true crime, you're watching a documentary, it's it's educating, you're learning something about someone, about an event. It's it's different. It's a completely different media of entertainment value rather than just like, oh my god, here's blood and gore and a story that was made up and it's cool and it's fun to watch and oh my god, you see I almost beat myself. Well, rather than oh this person happened this time, and it's like, wow, I know someone who lives in that city and like a block away from that house. It's wild and I can't believe someone would actually do that. Oh my god, he got bail. Are you fucking kidding me? Or justice system is shit? Like it's completely different. Yeah, sorry, I went on a bit of a rampage there, you did.
Speaker 2: But I was enjoying it. Really, I was enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Well, I enjoyed this episode. It's a good job, well done. And now we're left to just Halloween Day episode. Oh, just one to go. Goodness, unless you're a patron, of course, because Patreon is getting a little bit of extra treatment, because I mean it's Patreon that they literally subscribe for it. So if you want to join up, Patreon link is down below, along with all of our other links Facebook, Instagram, website, read it, YouTube, you know, name it all. It's down there.
Speaker 2: Well, can you say what they're getting the extra Patreon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: They're getting an extra episode because they always get an extra episode at the end of the month. And they're also getting how would you say, the history, the story.
Speaker 3: Of Jacko, Jacko's backstory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, which is really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're gonna sit down. We're going to do a podcast episode discussing Jacko and his backstory, who he is, where he came from, and how he came to be the Jacko that we know today.
Speaker 2: We know and love today of course.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, we swoon over Jacko, Oh totally. I guarantee you there's someone out there swooning over Jacko right now. Oh yeah, is it you?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Oh shit? Are you jealous a little bit? I'm gonna have to take him on. I have a word with Jacko about this.
Speaker 2: Good lucky to kick your ass.
Speaker 3: Oh probably. Anyways, you guys, thank you so so much for being here if you want to join our Patreon like I said, links down below. If not, we appreciate you just the same, and we have that one more day to go to Halloween, so we will see you in the next episode tomorrow and until then, stay wicked.
Speaker 1: It