Speaker 1: Hello, I'm ray Lee and this is the Gillingham Podcast for anyone living in the Gillingham and Spa area. On Thursday, the twenty sixth of February, the Gillingham Community Shuttle bus service was launched. A crowd gathered outside Waitrose in Gillingham for the ceremony. Thanks to speak was Counselor Belinda ride Out.
Speaker 2: Thank you for all coming here today for the launch over community Center bus. So as the Gillingham Community Transport Group made.
Speaker 3: Up of a cancer Barry Hawklan here wait they and myself under Young Brandon of the Three Rivers Partnership, and we are proud to stand here today along with your wall to launch an initiative that's been quite a long time in the making, but when we are here at last to day correct So Sadly, the demise of the Norcat left a community transport gap here in the North norsrset which we are now proud to be able to film the best of our ability. After consultation with the residents of Gillingham and Milton on Star, we have worked with a very obliging Tim and Carry a North community transport for bring new green Swid. The super bus is a service to operate alongside existing public transport networks and our own Gillingham's Gillingson moluntary cast Link Speed and the shot of us along the driver off Ye will be a gilling Of every Thursday to offer three return services into town for the residents are non Star, Peace, Martian Wine including Comedy Lane.
Speaker 2: Stops include the high Street.
Speaker 3: Holding the Ball, the bus shelter, top of guardings laid by Gillingham School, Rivers Meet, Leisure Center, bar and Soldiery and Waitrose and plenty of time has been allowed for presidents to be able to access services and facilities or just to get together in cafes and socialize. There will be two poundy trick products one hand with children and dogs go free.
Speaker 4: Section one six Developer funding from some of the large larger developments of Gillingham and it's a successful application for community transport funding from Dorset Council has enabled the scheme to yellowhead and I think i'm eamly recurring for the.
Speaker 2: Pass forward for the transport Flan.
Speaker 3: And very greatful for the support of the three of us partnership Gillingham Town Council, Dorst.
Speaker 2: Council, North Dorset Transport Action Group.
Speaker 4: Gillingham Carling giving Them, Medical Practice, Givingham Chamber of Commerce and many local.
Speaker 3: Businesses and individuals who have shown their support for the scheme.
Speaker 2: It is a pilot scheme for six months.
Speaker 3: If it's well used the band remains high, then we will be look at it sending it to further days. So the message really is please use the shutter bus as it may well be a risk of losing it.
Speaker 1: So anywhere then Phil Weakley, who can paign for the service.
Speaker 5: For those that don't know, I mean, my name is Phil, and I'm a local resident. I'm not a counselor, and I'm also being lame with a campaigner. And following lockdown, we and Gillingham lost our local bus service prost me two years ago. Dought It Council asked for comments on local transport before lockdown. Getting On had the number two fifty two bus service which came in here and went all the way around the town up all their states and we lost that. So today we have the number three bus that travels around the outskirts of the town, mostly empty, and then continued to stirm it's no good twenty getting on folks require them the original fifty two route as before. As before lockdown probably been stopped off be a reek. This to be reinstated with a regular torrent table. This should alleviate the town parking problem and to reduce carbon emission due to reduction cars travels to the town. So on that basis, I wrote to the town council about this service and was put in touch with the Transport Fall which consisted of Counselor Belinda read Out and very Ron Clement. This is when I discovered that they were investigating a local shuttle service, especially for Nordcat sorry especially as an rdcat has ceased to offer.
Speaker 2: After a few.
Speaker 5: Meetings, the finding it been identified and many notes support in the project compiled by the team, and we're finally here today. Thank you Belinda, Barry dort It, Council, three Rivers and everybody else that thank you.
Speaker 1: Then Counselor Barry von Clements.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm going to issue a phrase that the town clerk goes pale. I'm going to wing it. I haven't written anywhere. I just really Blinda and Philip basically said it all. I would just like to say that how fabulous it is to see community power in action.
Speaker 2: It's the community that has worked.
Speaker 6: It's the community that has achieved this, and it's up to the community now to get behind the project, to use it and to keep it going. So thank you everybody, and also one last thank you to my fellow directors of three RP who so kindly agreed to take this project under their umbrella. There was no arm twisted much.
Speaker 1: And finally the mayor Councilor Fleona Collen, who cut the ribbon and launched the service.
Speaker 2: Of a ribbon cutting.
Speaker 7: I hope that this new service, along with you already existing time loop, will go some way to help people to prevent them from feeling isolated if they've given up driving. I mean, I know from my own personal experience. My mum has recently given up PERPA, so this to pick up exactly where she lives, so that's really handy. I hope that the two things together, will you know, would really help people not to feel stuck.
Speaker 2: Okay, you ready on.
Speaker 1: The bus then took its first clode of passengers and made its way to the Three Rivers Leisure Center in Harding's Lane for a reception, where I spoke to counselor Belinda Ride out right, We're now at rivers, meet away from the clatter at shopping trolleys. And I'm speaking to Belinda ride Up about this new scheme. How did it come about, Glinda?
Speaker 8: It's been in my mind for a long time, the true and I recognize there's a need.
Speaker 2: For door to door transport.
Speaker 8: It's fairly cheap for people, so I can get out and socialize and get to the shops and access all sorts of facilities in the town, which is difficult for some people, especially if they've given up their car and they find themselves isolated. So we've been looking for a long time as a group the best way forward. We've looked at different ideas. Then we thought, well we might as well go to a setup.
Speaker 2: You're already running a.
Speaker 8: Transport system, and so we thought about Doors of Community Transport and we spoke to them and it seemed a really good idea. So they've got the buses, they've got the drivers, they know what they're doing, and so we had a meeting with them and came up with a with a plan which we've got here today for a community transport bus.
Speaker 1: And it's so who's the service.
Speaker 8: For absolutely only one?
Speaker 1: So how does it run? How does it work. You have to you have to book your ride.
Speaker 8: I understand you have to register a doors at community Transport first. It's just a phone call basically to.
Speaker 1: Register go light a form and.
Speaker 8: Once you're registered you can just ring up and just book your ride into.
Speaker 2: Town and let's say door to door service, so you.
Speaker 8: Will be taken into town and you'll be picked up and taken home.
Speaker 1: And it's two pounds for adults, a pound for children and dogs don't get free, right, So we've got a lot of people coming on barking with it, right, And how do they pay the charge? They pay the driver, They pay the.
Speaker 2: Driver on the day.
Speaker 1: It's basically the stops that are on the the information sheet. They're they're the only stop. They don't stop at normal bus stops or anything like that, do they.
Speaker 3: It's using the stops already in town that the public transport.
Speaker 1: So that's that's sort of White Marsh, Milton and Star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we pick up in those areas.
Speaker 8: There's three areas we pick up you've just mentioned and their zones A, B and C. And then there's one trip out to Milton Nonstyllar first.
Speaker 1: Then it's Peace.
Speaker 8: Marshal Wike and they're brought into town and then they yeah, they'll take them back. They'll drop them off at the bus stopsite holding the wall in the high street, up here the Barn Surgery, Waitrose and up here at rivers Meet and then they'll come back around to those stops and.
Speaker 1: Pick people up and take them back. So are there plans to expand the service if it's well used.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if there's a big demand then it is a pilot scheme for six months, so five months, say July time, we will look at it and see if it.
Speaker 2: At leaves tweaking. Because it's not a register service.
Speaker 8: The service can be tweaked and change going to demand, So where.
Speaker 1: Can people we'll get more information about the service.
Speaker 8: We've got leaflets which we hope to get out to people.
Speaker 2: We will leave some in the town hall. We should be able to find them in your local surgery and online.
Speaker 1: Available online and your there a website.
Speaker 8: Something the Dorset Community Transport website. Yeah right, we'll be on there the details brilliant. Well, thanks very much for your time and you're welcome.
Speaker 1: To register for the service, book a trip or if you have any questions call zero one two five eight two eight seven nine eight seven between nine thirty and two thirty on weekdays, or email Dorset at ECT charity dot co dot uk. For more information, go to www dot Dorset dash CT dot co dot uk. If you're a member of a group or organization that would like to be featured on the Future Killingham Podcast, then you can email me at Killingham Podcast at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening.