Speaker 1: Welcome to tiff Talks Tech, the podcast where we unravel the mysteries of multi family marketing tech, making it not just understandable, but dare I say, enjoyable. I'm your host, Tiffany, a season multi family marketer turn tech expert, here to guide you through your daily tech challenges with ease and a sprinkle of fun.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, and welcome to another episode of tif Talks Tech. Today.
Speaker 1: I am excited because I am joined by Jake Zacharia, who's a VP of marketing at one app, and today we're going to be talking about solving systemic problems with risk mitigation technology. So before we really dive in, Jake, can you share a little bit about your background and multifamily and how you got to where you are right now?
Speaker 3: Only Yeah, I am again. My name is Jake zach Arya, and I've been in multifamily for oh goshen years now, and I started as a leasing consultant I had and this is back in the day before you know, everyone was searching for their apartment on the internet. Everyone came with the like the book, and I got to spend a lot of time with them, so that that was like my favorite part about starting in the industry is I really got to be connected with with residents and it was also like, you know, devastating when they weren't able to move into the community with you. I advanced through the through my career in love like training and marketing. Most recently, I found myself as the VP at one app and or VP of marketing at one app and hoping to kind of just you know, tell stories at the intersection of you know, like resident outcomes, like optimal resident outcomes and like operator performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to what you said before, like back in the day when they had the book. You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's so funny. I was asking my boss the other day. I was like, what did you guys do?
Speaker 1: Because I've only been in the industry for ten years, I'm like, what did you guys do before email?
Speaker 2: What did you guys do before iOS is? What did you guys do?
Speaker 1: And She's like, well, there was this big book and I'm like, oh wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean it was wild though, because like people would come in like you get the book that is a really fit book, and you'd get it at the grocery store like a little yeah, you know cart in front of the grocery store and then it would come in. But like all of the prices, all the floor planes, all the data really like it was all out of date by the time they got it, so you had to like go through everything. Now we have like up to the minute, I mean, like you can choose your apartment, do the entire application without even seeing anything, all online everything from when I started, and again it was only nineteen years ago, but it felt like it feels like eons. Yeah, technologically because I mean you had to spend forty five minutes to an hour with Phil Renter with a with an applicant because that was where they got all there and like how's the community, Like what floor planned? Let me take a look at them, and the whole application process, like you get to go through everything manually, all like real discussions.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And I know things have changed so much over time and since you've been in the industry for so long, But what's the big problem we're trying to solve when it comes to housing accessibility?
Speaker 2: And over time has that been an issue?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that's one of the things that drew me to one app right, is that that's the main conversation that we're having. That's the main story that we want to tell is how that's impacting both sides of the equation. Right, So, like the big problem that we're trying to solve, you know, at least from our perspective and the way I see it right now, one of the easiest lifts is that we have capable renters that are being denied because we're using outdated criteria credit and you know, things just haven't moved. Like when I started, you would only really ever take somebody's W two pay stubs to verify their income, and now we've got you know, side gigs and you know, you've got a personal business that you're running or ten ninety nine income or gig work. You know, like all of that creates a lot of stress on both sides for the renter to verify all that stuff, but also for the management team to like understand if if it's enough, did to calculate the right way all that kind of stuff. So, I think the big problem that we're trying to kind of like help solve with housing accessibility is there's things that take a long time, like building more houses, building more apartments, building or creating laws that like kind of make support systems. Those all take like a really really long time, but what we can do in the short term is kind of take a look at how can we give approval assistance that creates more access for both, like creates access for renters to have more availability of housing and to create more access for property managers to have, you know, a wider availability of quality renters for their community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so true.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna shamelessly plug Umbrella because you mentioned like there's so many different avenues that people are having their income come from.
Speaker 2: So that's one of the things I know.
Speaker 1: I work for a fraud solution and that's one of the things that we always look at.
Speaker 2: But I always say, like our two.
Speaker 1: Solutions kind of go hand in hand because we identify the fraudulent ones, the ones that are just trying to get by. But a lot of the time people are just kind of increasing their income to make it look like they have enough to rent there because rents are getting so high and they really can't afford it. And I know that that's kind of the point where you guys come in, right and you help support them so that they can still get into that apartment, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that I mean, that's that's one of the you know, as our as the shame most plug for one app is like we are that like least support system, right, we want we want the renter to feel like they have a support system so that they don't have to engage in fraud or fudge the numbers a little bit or you know like try you know, go through these jump through these hoops to try and fit in. Our data shows and our system shows that they can have support to be a a quality and successful renter without having to engage in them and those kinds of activities. So we just and we want to be able to do that in a way that helps the management teams not have to change their criteria because we know, we know it's been it was put there for a reason to protect themselves, but we don't you know, that's a longer conversation is going to take a lot longer. We can solve that by just being that that pipeline in the middle that connects people who we feel our quality renters with DMCs in a way that they don't have to increase their risk and the renters don't have to engage in fraud or ask for government support or ask for family to coast any of that kind of stuff, Like we can just solve both sides of the equation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely from your perspective, what are one of the are some of the most overlooked and maybe even misunderstood barriers that are keeping people from getting approved right away? And always said income can be a big one, but is there anything else?
Speaker 3: And I think income turns out to be like the underlying cause that causes a lot of problems on the other side. Right, So it's like if rents are going up and wages aren't, then that puts immense amount of pressure on the availability of free cash to do things like pay the bill. So you know, like your credit doesn't look good because you know, you didn't have enough income at one point or you don't have enough income to overcome that. But there's also other factors too that are related to that, you know, thin or no credit, Like you know, you uh came around out of college and you don't really have very many, you know, experiences where you've been able to prove that you'll pay the bill. So credit going by credit is a very difficult factor for that person. Gig income I mentioned that earlier. That's another one that's really difficult, and also just not understanding what the criteria actually is. I think that's one of the things that we found a huge challenges not understanding that criteria, how you fit in that critic because every community is different, every company is different. Right, you can be in one area and apply to fifty different apartment communities and have vastly different results in that small little neighborhood, and that right there is like application FEEB You're like just spending all this money over and over again, and the stigma that comes with that multiple denials and you don't really have any information why. So we want a world where that renter has more support to you know, for based on their real income, based on like a real picture of their credit, or to have support where they're lacking that information, but also then just to have like a predictable promise to reduce those barriers for them and the management.
Speaker 2: Side too totally.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of the time those denials and that stigma, it's all framed is that's the renter's problem. But what effect does that have on property managers and owners in the long run?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's two sides seeing the equation. So like I think, if we're sitting in a vacuum and we're only having conversation with other property managers, the conversation evolves to be like, oh, it's a renter problem. But what a lot of a lot of managers and owners don't see is each avoidable denial turns into more vacancy days. You have to spend more marketing dollars to get another person to come in the door. You already have someone come in and you deny them. Now you got to pay more money to get another person in and you have to have you have to pay more, you know, more staffing costs for them to do the other things when you already had somebody who could have been a good renter to begin with come in the door. You again, you're more occupy or vacancy days, more money you spent on marketing, and just like longer drawn out periods where you're not dealing with you're not getting the bonus of that occupancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, kind of thinking through the broader economic trends.
Speaker 2: And that impact it.
Speaker 1: What are the things that impact this issue, like inflation, wage stagnation, rising rents, all that stuff. What really drives the issue when it comes to approval challenges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, like I think this the standards tightened because there were a lot I mean like that you you mentioned inflation and waging stagnation and some of these broader economic trends, but there's a lot of other impacts that have happened recently that again created a lot of downward pressure on the economy, like COVID and the whole situation around that, and all of the losses that were experienced on like both sides of the equation. Again, you know that that put owners, people who owned these properties and people who manage these properties in a really tough position to how do we mitigate against a future situation where we lose some of you know, you know, lose in that situation again, So they they tightened standards and they elevated their rental criteria. But it but again it just doesn't match the real income patterns or like the reality is that the there's two sizes of this equation and the managers are trying to mitigate risk by tightening these standards, but the renters don't have a situation that enables them to dig out of the same kind of losses as easily or as quickly. You know, they're they're they're like trying to balance like how do I how do I get people too to move into my apartment community without being at risk for eviction or not paying the bill or any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, you mentioned risk mitigation, and you can kind of sound like a cold financial concept, but it's also the thing that can keep people housed. So what does effective risk mitigation look like in practice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think risk mitigation can sound pretty cold, but we're looking for a dignified way to allow renters to do the thing that is like absolutely required. They're getting sheltered, nobody's going out and buying, Like we're not denying people from buying porsches, we're denying people from housing. And that's like a human requirement, like it's a it's a thing we need to survive. So what we're trying to do is try to find the balance between the very real need to mitigate risk on the manager side in multi family with providing a dignified way to give people approvals and not just consistently denied denials. Should be like our lap choice for risk mitigation. There should be a whole slew of that, but again, you know, that just opens the door to more more challenges. The government has stepped in and created deposit caps and you know, a fees that they can't charge and all this kind of stuff, and again that puts downward pressure on the manager side. So it really is a tough conversation of how you can get more approvals that benefit both sides of the equation in a dignified way that that also again doesn't increase risk for the PFC.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely.
Speaker 1: All that kept coming to mind when you and I were talking about this behind the scenes is like, I know somebody who was a victim of domestic abuse and their partner had gone and ruined like they were not paying the rent when they thought they were paying the rent, So her credit was shot and she needs a place for her and her kids to live.
Speaker 2: And if she had a solution like this, she wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Getting denial after denial for her and her family because she's out of that situation. She personally is not a risk, but had no idea that she was being taken advantage of.
Speaker 2: So it's like stories like this are the reason.
Speaker 1: Why solutions like yours are really amazing and really come in and bridge that gap for the people who need it the most.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know that it's a really sad story and shows you something that's almost completely out of someone's control. You know, right, Nobody wants to get into a car accident, nobody wants to be a victim of domestic abuse, nobody wants to lose their job. These situations that are outside of our control happen. We we wanted to be a kind of like a fintech prop tech kind of solution that again doesn't just support the renter because they do need that support, but we want to we want to do it a way that balances the needs of the management side too. And I think that's where, you know, the broadening description of kind of like what technology can do is to come in and disrupt in a positive way, in a way that that balances the equation, but also is one of those very rare kind of like win win win situations, Like you know, renter wins, the property manager wins, and we win because we get to be a in a business that is expanding access to housing. So very very few times in my life have I ever seen an actual win win win situation. Yeah, and we get to work for that. But again, I think that that all goes back to making sure that you're finding a solution or a workflow that allows you to, you know, solve your problems with dignity in a dignified way for all parts of the equation, and not just to point the finger at someone and say it's your problem or you're the fault, but really just say, like, this is a problem, we need to solve it because it's causing challenges on both sides. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And like you said, tech is it is one of the pieces of the puzzle. Are there other pieces that really have to be in place in order for actual progress to happen.
Speaker 3: Well, I think again we need to have a larger conversation about like what does that housing workflow look like, how are we getting people access into housing that exists, how are we filling up those units. For the management side, we need to have those top level kind of like government changes for zoning and policies and laws that again are are factoring in both sides the equation. And until we can get there, we're coming up with a solution that supports the least, that supports both sides from that way. But I think the first part for real progress to happen needs to be that we need to start having this conversation and including the renters or advocates for renters in that equation, because we can't do that in a vacuum in the multi family industry. We can't go to conferences and just talk about risk mitigation. We have to go to those conversas and talk about risk mitigation with renters and understand how, because it's a symbiotic relationship, we're here together. We don't exist in the multi family industry without renters, and they don't have housing without us to provide it for them. So how do we change that conversation to make real progress and understand what the real levers are that we can pull.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and since we are talking about you know, standing behind the renter really advocating for them, we also know that the other side of it is the operator, and we don't want to put them in a worse position. Can you dive into a little bit how your solution really helps prevent that and it doesn't put them in a worse spot.
Speaker 2: I know you said it's a win win win. How is it a win win win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the renter you know, obviously gets the support and we can get to help them get like approval assistance. Right, So we can do that, but it doesn't mean none of that means anything if the operators or the managers and the owners feel like they're getting the short end of the stick. So we wanted to find a way that helped mitigate their concerns, their pains, and their their risk without you know, having you know, just like a bad taste in their mouth from this this solution. So we worked so that managers can keep the criteria and even add like portfolio level support so they can take this and use it at one property that they're struggling with, they can use it across their entire organization. But you need to find a way that allows the managers to not have to change their entire business model just to accept right and to give them predictable at positive results. Right. So that's another thing that we're pretty proud of is like high high percent, like high ninety or low nineties percent of successful renters that make it to the end release without any problems at all. It's the proof. The proof is in the pudding that like we gave you a renter, and we showed you and they were a successful renter, like low nineties percent of success without having any any problems or claims or defaults. And then when there are defaults to like to come in and have quick reimbursements for any of those losses. So if they lost out on rent, they lost out on damages or legal fees. For the very small number of people that do have those defaults, then we come in and we fulfill that promise. We make them whole, and we do it quickly, so we don't play the insurance game, because we're not insurance, but we don't play the insurance game where we delay and defend and deny or you know, any of that kind of stuff. So you'll get it. You'll get reimbursements within ten business days or for those claims. And we also do it in a way where it literally costs the property nothing, so they don't have to pay for the portfolio insurance policy, they don't have to pay out these fees, they don't whatever. They just refer people to us, We run them through our criteria. If they are a good fit for us, the renter pays the fee and and then we support their lease, you know, up to twenty four months. So that's kind of again like making it so the property manager doesn't have to doesn't have to change anything about the way they do business, but also doesn't have to worry about some future you know, other shoe to drop because they didn't read the fine print. Right, We support the lease, we give them good renters, and then if something happens where there's a default, we come in and we fulfill our promise to support that lease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: I want to switch you gethers just a little bit and talk about risk mitigation holding the hand of fraud prevention. I know you and I kind of chatted about this and not to just sit here and shameless sleep up. But housing accessibility can it can go hand in hand with broad prevention, even though a lot of the time it can be seen as opposite priorities.
Speaker 2: How do you see them working together?
Speaker 3: So I think that risk mitigation and fraud prevention are literally complementary topics. Yeah, because the only reason that people engage in fraud is because they don't have a solution available to them to do the right thing right right. And there's I'm sure there's probably people out there who believe you know they're no, you know they're engaging in fraud because they're bad people. And I'm sure there are bad actors out there, a small, small percession person, but they are more than likely the exception to the rule. Most people want to do the right thing. They want to apply, they want to get an approval. They want the leasing consultants to tell them congratulations, you approved. That was not my favorite part of the job when I was a leasing consultant because I just spent like forty five minutes an hour with someone and then when they got approved, I was like, congratulations, you just got approve. Welcome home. Like that's the best result. That's exactly what everyone wants. So if they if they're not, if they know they're not going to get that, then they're going to do everything they can to get that feeling, to get that status, to get that approval. So I think what we can do is, you know, risk mitigation solutions tech solutions and fraud prevention tech solutions, both in the property tech space for multifamily can work together. You can use them in tandem, and I think I think managers should use them in tandem, right like you should mitigate risk and prevent fraud. But that can't be the only solution is to deny and prevent people from getting in. You should give them a solution that allows to get in on their own merits or in a qualified way. You can write with the risk mitigations, that is it. We can approve more qualified renters and give them better signals, but we don't have to. That's not excluding fraud prevention. Yeah, I'm kind of adding that third option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking about the workflow, and like the workflow that we typically recommend is that you have somebody come in the office, you verify their ID and make sure that that ID is legitimate, And so I think about that, like before they even tour, you checking that to make sure they're real, and then the income fraud will come in later, but you know that that's a real person and you've already jumped over that hoop. So then by the time you've toured and you're going through the income piece and you might be seeing things pop up with that, you've already taken out one piece of that and you're diving into the next. So I do think they really go hand in hand because as you go through the steps of the fraud prevention. You are then going through the steps of getting that person home to where they need to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So I want to talk about, you know, changing industry mindsets. There's a stigma around risky renters. How can we start to rethink what risky actually means?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I love this question because again I think it's one of those side effects, those like negative side effects, having the conversation in a vacuum. We call them risky renters now, and that's that's not what it is. Risk is a concept, and we don't avoid risk by denying. We manage risk by finding solutions that help us achieve our financial goals without exposing us to the negative side of that possibility. So we want to reduce risk, we want to manage risk, but we can't avoid risk. So I think rethinking that starts, you know, a conversation has to start again about like reframing what that looks like. It's not like people aren't trying to engage in fraud. They're trying to get into an apartment. So if you give them a way to engage or to engage positively, to get in that into that approval, then that's managing the risk. Your fraud prevention does the same thing. You're managing risk by reducing the number of opportunities that somebody has to give you fake documents or appear as someone else or whatever it is. But I think the other thing too is to like make sure that whatever solutions that you're looking at are also helping you achieve your goals. So you can't think of it like insurance because I've got somebody who defaults on their lease, and yeah, you've got the insurance that backfills, but then you've got six months to go before you even get that payout, or they like, oh no, you forgot to put a period at the end of this sentence in my document, so the whole plan is denied. You know, type of thing like you need to work with high quality, high value partners who are going to help you manage your business, but are doing it in a dignified way, because again that shows that you, as the manager, are trying to have this good relationship by managing that risk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Are there any assumptions that you hear often about why people are getting denied?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you think that any of those assumptions you hear may not actually be the full story for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean I've heard it my whole career. Is that if we lower the criteria, if we loosen the criteria, it's going to cause more bad debt, it's going to cause more defaults, it's going to cause more evictions. We're going to letting in, you know, bad renters in. And the data just doesn't support that. You can go through and see numerous studies that have been done for decades now that show that like a majority of Americans are one financial disaster away from being in a situational homeless situation. Yeah, so they like a car accident, you have a medical episode, you lose your job, like all those things are completely out of their control. And that's not a bad renter. That's a renter that something happened. So loosing the criteria doesn't mean you're going to have more bad debt. It's not going to mean that you have more evictions because again, we're talking about introducing a solution that like that mitigates again because we're talking about change management too. We're not just talking about how to solve this problem, we're also talking about how to change mindsets that I've heard for for nineteen years now, is that if you loose in the criteria or you lower the criteria, that you're going to have more bad debt, you're going to carry more bad debt, you're gonna have more fictions or whatever. But this is a way, at least one app is a way that you can keep those standards. You could add these support and that helps change the conversation to bring managers and multi family industry back to the table to start having a real conversation about why the system is a little outdated. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, if we don't address these issues in the next ten years, what does it look like if we don't try to get rid of the systemic approval barriers that exist today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're going to have if we don't try to remove some of these systemic barrier approval barriers. What we're looking at is a world where fewer people are in apartments having to pay a higher rent amount to meet than the needs and the goals of the owners of those property owners. So rent is going up, occupancy is going down, which again every renter then that moves out or has a financial issue is going to cause even larger swings and occupancy and vacancy laws to be lots more marketing spend to get people because they're gonna be a lot pickier. They're paying more or rent for this apartment, and they're going to be pickier, you know, So you're gonna have to use at spend a lot more money to convince them. And I think the longer tail of that is it creates these like larger equity gaps that it keeps more people in unstable housing situations, so more people renting from somebody who rents from somebody who. I mean, that's another thing you're even thinking about, is like, yeah, like the second level of fraud. I mean, you've got the one level. The first level of fraud that most managers think about is like someone's defrauding me to try and get in the apartment. But then you're gonna have this, You're going to create a situation where someone can't get in there, but somebody who can get in there will get in there, and then they'll turn around and release that apartment to someone else A and.
Speaker 1: B without approval or like even thinking about so getting roommates without having them on the lease. Like people are going to try to cram into apartments. If they can't afford it, then they're going to try to, you know, do what they can.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean you think if we think that managers have a tough time trying to find someone's chihuahua that they hide in the closet every time they have a maintenance agreement, I mean they're going to be literally hiding three or four people in each bedroom where they're like stacked up with bump beds because that's how it what it costs to you know, to rent the unit or or whatever. And again those are those are long tail extrapolations of like what role will be. But it's absolutely a very real future on the horizon. If we don't have these conversations, if we don't start solving these problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, for people listening, who we're going to industry, what's one stuff they could do today to help.
Speaker 2: Make a difference and make things a little more accessible.
Speaker 3: I think it would be honestly to start pushing to have those conversations internally just and then and all so externally, So we need to have the conversations in our management teams. So we need to come to like a very real, like idea. We cannot we cannot paint a picture where the renter is the bad person. We have to paint a picture where we are in a symbiotic relationship and we need the renter. We need the renter to be supported. And then we need to have external conversations in our trade shows and conferences, and we also need to have more legislative conversations where we are supporting the renter, where we are creating you know, governmental change and legislative change that that that allows the renter and the property owner and manager to come to the table with with equal standing and equal footing. If we're if we don't see this this relationship is as equal in symbiotic, we fall into this again. This like little echo chamber where we're painting some the picture of someone else is the bad guy, and that's the literal person we need for our business to say afloat, that's just it's wild. So I think the biggest impact is just to have those conversations internally, eternally, and then again in a legislative capacity so that we could try to solve this problem together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, before we close out, I do have a bonus question for you, and this is something I ask every single one of my podcast guests. It does not have to be related to this topic, but do you have a tech tool that you love in your everyday life they use all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Actually it is related to work, and it is related to visit. I was literally just having a conversation with one of my favorite people in our team advocating for it, and it is Fellow. It's a meeting AI note taking software solution. So I literally use it like every workday. It connects with your Google calendar, so like everytime you have a meeting, it'll connect. It allows you to like get the agenda. You can like type the whole agenda in and then it's got an AI note taker that will help like pick out the action items that maybe you've forgotten your notes to the end, so like you never forget the thing that you like agreed to do or somebody told you needed to happen, Like you always get that like follow email that says hey, remember to do this thing. So it's saved my life so many times. Love it. It's one of my favorite things I advocated to.
Speaker 2: I love it. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for joining Where can people go to learn more about what you're doing and connect with you directly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if anybody wants to connect with me directly, you can go to pretty much any of the platforms. I'm most most often on LinkedIn and you can just search my like user name or whatever it's j Z Jake z or you can search my name Jake zach Arya. And I'm also helping run our company page for one app. You can go and follow us on LinkedIn and kind of learn a little bit more about our solution and how we're helping to create a barrier free housing future.
Speaker 2: Love it, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it, and hope everybody got something from this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it. Thank you for the time, Thanks.
Speaker 4: For joining Tift Tech. Tune in next time for more candid conversations, actionable advice, and a whole lot of tech talk. In this fast paced world of multifamily marketing, understanding tech should not be a challenge. It should be a conversation