Speaker 1: And closer.
Speaker 2: A big day in the history of Dallas Fort Worth as the Dallas Mavericks have the number one pick in the NBA Draft. And it's all happening tonight right here on ninety seven point one The Eagle, the Home of mass Basketball.
Speaker 1: Are coverage brought to you by k Post Company.
Speaker 2: They did the roof at the AAC Globe Lily Field and at and T Stadium roofing, waterproofing, solar solutions. Call our guy, Nick Post k Post Company, Good folks, appreciate them sponsoring this presentation.
Speaker 1: You haven't heard Skin with us in a minute.
Speaker 2: Look, look, guys, you can see Skin's getting his TV makeup down there.
Speaker 3: He is getting makeup on. Look at getting make up right there? So difficult.
Speaker 1: He's demanding some really hot pink lipstick.
Speaker 3: What's so happy?
Speaker 2: So happy down there? She's getting home made up. That voice is Max Rogers. My son is here with us, hanging out with us. She's on the live mic hanging out and Christina and Kat and myself. But we're looking at Skins getting his makeup on. He's gonna be on the TV simulcast tonight. We'll have that same TV simual cast right here. On ninety seven point one the Eagle. But this is a big deal. This doesn't happen very often. And if you think about it, for a city that was devastated, devastated by the Luca trade, a fully self inflicted wound.
Speaker 1: It didn't have to happen. You didn't have to trade Luca. They traded Luca and did.
Speaker 2: Not get a fair return back for the trade, and then didn't even have.
Speaker 3: To wait a year. The very next.
Speaker 2: Offseason, they somehow lucked out and got the number one pick in the NBA draft. And not in a draft where it doesn't matter. Sometimes you get the number one pick and there's like, oh, it could be an even number of these five guys. No, they got the number one pick. When a guy's coming out that is heralded as an absolute phenom, sports god, a guy who can impact you, know, your your your franchise for the next fifteen seasons. A guy who's an absolute cold blooded killer who will dunk on your soul and plays both ways, plays defense, plays offense. Like he's a sophomore and high school and they're like, he's gonna he's the number one prospect of the country. Then he's a junior he's still the number one. Then he's a senior, still the number one. Then he goes to college plays here he's still the number one prospect on the planet. And the Mavericks lucked into that on the heels of shooting themselves in the Foot and Luca trade.
Speaker 3: You can't make this stuff up. It's so unreal.
Speaker 4: The basketball gods love us so much. I guess they just felt bad for us.
Speaker 5: Right, they saw the fans just like, you know that that feeling. But like for it to be this year too, Like it makes a difference because, uh, I don't know. I don't think the casual, average Joe or the average Kevin me would know number one pick in last year's drafting.
Speaker 1: Oh that is it.
Speaker 6: He was just some guy from France, Max Zachary.
Speaker 5: I believe, yeah, Max would know, you know, Like that's like I followed the league fairly closely.
Speaker 1: But it was it was a whatever draft, right, Like, yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Knew winby a couple of years ago. That's a name.
Speaker 5: We knew Anthony Edwards a few years ago, but like this is this is different and I just don't I don't think a lot of people have seen him play. I mean, college people are watching college basketball. They used to like, you really love sports, you have, but he casual. People haven't seen this dude play.
Speaker 3: But he's a guy.
Speaker 2: And dude, since Skin's not here and my son Max Rodgers here, give us a scanning report Max on Cooper Flag as a player.
Speaker 6: Cooper Flag is, I mean, it's one of those guys who you just watching the game coming in you don't really know who's good, who's bad, who's the star player? You will know that he's the star player on a team that happened to do Duke is full of five stars, are full of big time players. He could have win, Like, oh, this guy's a great recruit. This guy's a great recruit. Cooper Flag is just a dominating player. That's the best way to put it.
Speaker 3: Just he just dominates.
Speaker 1: I think you're better than Skin.
Speaker 5: I mean, let's know, yeah, Skin is nothing if not replaceable.
Speaker 3: I think we're but in time.
Speaker 2: So we're at the American Airline Center again, thank you, k Post and fans are now filing in. Doors open a few minutes ago, and there's gonna be a lot of people here.
Speaker 1: The thinking there anywhere.
Speaker 2: Between eight and ten thousand MAP fans coming down here today to be to be here to watch all of this happen. Are piling they are piling in, and you know, I think it's gonna be a cathartic healing situation. The minute Cooper Flag's name is announced, this crowd is going to lose their minds. And I think it's gonna go a long way to helping putting the trade behind for you know, for a.
Speaker 1: Lot of fans.
Speaker 4: I'm already we don't know the schedule for next year, right, do we know their first game yet? Okay, because that's all I can think about already. I'm like, when's the first MAVs game? When will we get to see him play with everyone?
Speaker 6: That's great?
Speaker 3: This is great, all right there, it's a real party. This is great.
Speaker 1: It's a party now there.
Speaker 2: They're making announcements here and letting fans know what's gonna be going on. And we're telling you the fans are set up on one side of the state and they're looking at a huge stage at center court and it's our boys skin right there with Followell and Ted Emrick and they're going to be holding down your coverage night and laying him down there? Man, why is he standing he's standing up, he's kind of putting his pants right in Followell's face.
Speaker 5: Surely appropriate and as we're used to him violating.
Speaker 2: HR regulations, he's kind of doing a Captain Morgan like lifting one leg up on follow Well there, But man, this is such a special day. So what's a special night for Dallas Fort worth it? You know, we were talking about how rare this is. Mark McGuire nineteen eighty one, Troy Iigman nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know.
Speaker 2: Page buckets more recently for the Dallas Wings, But in my history of being a fan of local sports, I mean, this has just really happened twice prior to page Buckets, and you know each time it delivered. My Mark McGuire was a phenomenal player for the Mavericks. Yeah, led the league in scoring, I believe, or flirted with it many many years. And then Trougman brought three Super Bowls to the Cowboys. But man, listening to Ted Emert get us excited about that got me.
Speaker 5: Felt, uh yeah, And we're ten feet away from CBS Sports is Avery Johnson, former Dallas Mavericks coach, played in the league for a long time for the Spurs, was the head coach at Alabama for a while, and he just kind of from where we're at up here on this dock in section one oh one, looking down and he goes, this is pretty cool, man, I'm glad they're doing that. And he seems like, yeah, pumped about this. That was kind of neat. Well we lived it, but like, you know, this is pretty excitement.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know they've had small draft parties before when you got the twelve pick or something.
Speaker 3: Dude, you know, just you know.
Speaker 5: You know, when they got Derek Lively. I was at the Echo Lounge when that happened, and it was like, Okay, this is great, kind of celebrated, but let me nothing like this. Non't mean nothing like this.
Speaker 2: This is uh, this is like having Zion or Anthony Davis as your draft pick, or some guy that the whole world says this is for sure the number one player and then everyone else is behind him. The MAVs are getting that guy.
Speaker 5: So there's a big article that dropped yesterday from ESPN's Baxter Holmes is his name, and it's kind of about the family and what they've been going through through all this and what happened on the night of the draft lottery, because we'll podcast all the segments later.
Speaker 3: You can get him on the.
Speaker 5: iHeart app But earlier were talking about where we all were when we found out that the Maverick are getting the number one pick. Well, they were at the draft lottery, and before they went, they got in their hotel room, his mom, his dad, and his twin brother, Ace.
Speaker 3: And Ace Flag. Great name, Oh are you a spy? Good name?
Speaker 5: I'm Ace Flag, And they talked about, Okay, let's talk about the three teams that is probably gonna be because that's what the probability said, it's gonna be the Washington Wizards, the Utah Jazz are the Charlotte Hornets, And they talked about all the pros. Washington is real close to Maine. Charlotte East Coast, real close to Maine. Wouldn't be a hard time to you could at your time in Washingt dinner Charlotte.
Speaker 3: It talked about the Jazz.
Speaker 5: They apparently were big Boston Celtics fans growing up, so they knew Danny Ainge, right, So there there's the But they also talked about the negatives and the negatives of each of those situations. Is those are losers not It's not hell like they said, but those are teams who have lost for a long time. And Cooper Flagg has never lost. He only wins. So to go here, they had never thought it one time. They never thought it could happen, and for him to end up here, they were like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: And they were as happy as we were because.
Speaker 5: They knew Kyrie Irving plays here, Anthony Davis plays here.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you who knows Derek Lively, Derek two.
Speaker 5: Years ago from Dukes Klay Thompson, forget Thompson, and it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: Look, it's there's so many wounds here because of the Luca trade. But you know, Skin was talking about that Houston game where everybody was healthy for half before Anythony Davis got hurt and.
Speaker 1: The MAVs looked good.
Speaker 2: I mean, you couldn't understand them getting that much older and taking another injury prone player. And we were still broken hearted over Luca, but you could see the way they were playing and contesting every shot, playing with his defense first mentality, and you were like, okay, okay, we're gonna be pretty good. Obviously Ad got hurt then and it screwed everything up. But you can understand, you know what they're trying to do, why they're trying to build the team that way. They're gonna be really, really good. And typically the team that ends up with one of the top picks is gonna be a team that is losing every single night. And if Kyrie hadn't have gotten hurt, the Mavericks would have been in the playoffs. They would have been a playoff team with Kyrie. And so I understand people are like a conspiracy, but for this to be a conspiracy, Kyrie Irving would have had to fake a knee injury because if he hadn't gotten hurt, they would have been in the playoffs, they wouldn't have had a chance to have the number one pick.
Speaker 5: It goes back to this thing I asked Skin said it before, is like I need someone who really believes this to walk me through these specific mechanisms in place to rig it, Like tell me specifically how this happens. It's not just a ping pong ball out of out of the thing like people think it is. There's combinations to it and things like that, Like it's a way deeper thing. And every time you ask someone like, who does think it's a conspiracy, And you ask them that question, they don't have an answer, and that tells you it's not a conspiracy.
Speaker 3: It's just not The map's got lucky, dude.
Speaker 5: This Nikola Harrison's ass was saved, Like, just be really clear about that.
Speaker 3: It was saved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm sure they all know that. And it's fine because it's okay. Like you just never know what's gonna happen in life. And we got lucky. And we'd never gotten lucky though in the NBA draft lottery, the Dennis Smith junior year years.
Speaker 3: And the nineties, and they're so bad.
Speaker 5: We've never gotten lucky in the draft lottery, So maybe it was just our time. I know that I'm walking on sunshine.
Speaker 1: I know, but right now we are walking on such a ye.
Speaker 2: That's the song that's playing here at the American Airline Center Inflatable.
Speaker 1: Champ is here inflatable MAVs man.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 2: There's seventy four cameramen right now pointing cameras at skin.
Speaker 1: Look at all the cameraman over there.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 5: It looks like we're going to war down there. Those are like a bunch of cannon does.
Speaker 1: Look like a firing line looking at those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, this is gonna be a good place to hang out tonight. You'll be able to hear all the coverage the MAVs Draft Party twenty five. Again our our presentation, brought to you by k Post Company.
Speaker 5: I have to do it make a complaint about the Dallas Mavericks organization though. Yeah. Get you a look out there, Ben, there's new MAVs man. Okay, man, this is just not the MAVs man that we all grow to no one loves, you know.
Speaker 3: It's he's now.
Speaker 5: Blue and you know, a MAVs man is a walking human basketball.
Speaker 3: It's lucky in the DNA test did they.
Speaker 4: Probably scare too many kids and that's why they had to change it to a more friendly Marvel version.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Oh, the new Marvel is supposed to be I heard its nuts there.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to go see that. All right.
Speaker 2: Kat's taking shots at mascots.
Speaker 1: And I'm here for it. I can't argue with you on that.
Speaker 5: That's it's a weak spot of our city. You know, we don't have a single mascot in the Mascot Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: It's really discouraging.
Speaker 2: Look down at the court, there's Chuck Cooperstein, the voice of Dallas Mavericks basketball down there.
Speaker 3: Oh, Ben, you're gonna like this.
Speaker 5: So in this article when they got Cooper Flag, a Mavericks team source said, we surprisingly renewed seventy five to eighty percent of our season tickets.
Speaker 3: They said that in the quote surprisingly.
Speaker 4: Dude, he's yeah, he's saving so much.
Speaker 5: The quote said, we had a lot of work to do in earning back the confidence and fandom. We sold eight million in new season tickets into three days after the lottery.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: Eight million. Wow. That is so lucky. Wow.
Speaker 1: And it's and it's gonna happen even more and more and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, excitement is back from a team that was again shot themselves in.
Speaker 1: The foot with the trade.
Speaker 2: It's it's the one of the most miraculous bailouts ever.
Speaker 1: It makes no sense. Is this real life?
Speaker 4: Didn't Skin say he like cried when you.
Speaker 2: Fo and and and I get it and uh he did say that, Christine.
Speaker 3: And he also cries during and after sex.
Speaker 2: Right immediately after. That's just he's proud. He tells everyone that it's a signature move.
Speaker 3: But no, he he. You know, I know this from being around Skin.
Speaker 2: Skin works for the Dallas Mavericks, being around him, other people that work in the Mavericks, whether they're in sales and marketing, promotions or anybody affility with the organization wore that trade. Yeah, Like, every single person who had any job for the Mavericks wore that Luca trade. Everywhere they went in the world. They got pooped on by everyone going, what are you y' all thinking? Yeah, and it's wasn't their decision, but they had to wear it. And it was just this plague of depression and sadness that was following everybody.
Speaker 1: And Skin and I were doing a MAVs podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah you are too dolling.
Speaker 2: So we're going up to the MAVs studio Studio forty one. You me, Skinned going up there doing MAVs content. It was hard to do because we're trying to put a good face on everything, but we're all devastated. And so for the weight of all that to be warned by all these employees, the minute you got the number one pick, you lucked into it.
Speaker 1: Suddenly that weight was lifted and hope was restored.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, like selfishly to make it about me. I don't like the man I looked at the comment section too much. But like when we were doing that show Roundball Talk on maps Doar forty one, you come up with something that you think is funny and you think might be good, and then you just go to look at the comments are all fire ego and you're like, oh my god, no one's even watching what we're doing.
Speaker 3: They're just saying, Matt I mean things and I'm not.
Speaker 5: The one who had to post the video, like they're a whole team of people well you know, And it was like that was really discouraging to think you're doing something that's like, oh, I don't think you were watching it. They're just checking in to say bad things about the team. Yeah, because they were mad, and it's okay to be mad. It's absolutely okay to be mad, but that's still take it too far.
Speaker 4: That's another reason I'm excited for this pick. That's why I brought it back up because I totally forgot he had said that, like, we can be excited for our friends who work for this organization again because now they can be excited to go back to work and actually be excited to do, you know, talk about him?
Speaker 5: Would you say that American Airlines is the Mavericks' biggest sponsorship deal?
Speaker 2: What do you think I would assume? So, I mean because the American Airlines Center. But it's kind of a deal for both the Stars and the Mavericks, right.
Speaker 5: So yeah, in that article, the mav source who said all that stuff that sus tickets said, we have also done two additional new sponsor deals, won the second largest.
Speaker 1: In our history.
Speaker 2: Wow, just by getting lucky on lottery night, right, because now it's dude, it helps us as the Eagle. I mean, we're the whole man basketball. You trade Luca and everybody's hurt, and you can't even you barely have seven active players, and you're just like, oh my god, this is miserable. Please just lose every game. And they're still fighting, scrapping, clawing and somehow winning games. It's like that would have been a death march if you have the number twelve pick in this draft.
Speaker 1: But you don't. You have the number one pick.
Speaker 2: So the you know, the radio ratings for the MAVs games are going to be significantly higher, the interest.
Speaker 1: In them as a team, and again.
Speaker 2: It's the number one pick and a year where the number one pick matters coming to a contending team that probably shouldn't even have been in the lottery to begin with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me say to you, if you're like a listener, heard the show today and you're like, I need my rock. Christina will have rock music for you at nine o'clock tonight. But the draft simulcast that's gonna happen right here and on KFAA. I would stay tuned to that because you know, the Maverks could not only after the draft Cooper Flag couldn't getting them and try to get someone in the back half of the first round.
Speaker 3: So you know, watch that.
Speaker 5: I mean, the draft is now broken up into two nights, around one to night, Round two tomorrow night, and it's always fun to hear skinning those guys and Ted ever can follow though, and when all that's going down and there's action happening on Twitter and things like that, and find out that was gonna make a trade and maybe get another player to night too, and you're gonna be like, you're gonna want another that you would listening.
Speaker 3: To that line, right.
Speaker 1: There's been some talk that they were trade back into the first round.
Speaker 2: My son Max is here. Max, who's the guy they were talking about them trading of his teammate at.
Speaker 6: Duke Tyres Proctor, who was a five star a couple of years ago, top prospect out of high school. He was ranked twelfth on the nation or something. Okay, he was supposed to come out last year. Decided to say one more year to play with Flag. He's saved one more year to stay and play with him. He's a good combo guard. He's not gonna be an elite playmaker, but he shoots at three well and he's gonna be a really good defender.
Speaker 1: He's a good prospect and.
Speaker 3: He's from Australia.
Speaker 2: Mate. Oh okay, mate, throw another trip at the barbie man. I just Max was more succinct than Skin got to it. Oh my God, quickly wrapped it up. He was knowledgeable, believable. Sometimes Skin's not believable. Skin On Tyre's Proctor.
Speaker 5: That scouting report would have taken us past our heart out, his heart on would have taken us fast heart out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, heart on, sure heart Yeah, I heeart And we have to thank our friends at iHeart for having us out there.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: You have to think I heard yeah, thank them. I don't even think I Heart.
Speaker 5: If you're coming out to the draft party, I know we have some BFD shirts.
Speaker 3: To give away.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she did say the first four people, which I'm sure those are already.
Speaker 3: All right, that's right.
Speaker 2: If you uh coming out to the draft party, come find us. The Eagle is set up here and our promo crews here. And look at the break dancers out there getting skin packed up.
Speaker 4: Also, it's much better to see them dancing to music than just.
Speaker 5: And since we have about twenty three seconds that I'll also say if you're a new first time listener, we're on three to six every weekday, so make sure you tune on you you listen to us also from home on the free iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just like to thank again our friends at iHeart for having us out tonight.
Speaker 1: And appreciate being here. All right, here we go, Dallas, Sport Worth. It's a big night in your history.
Speaker 2: Coming up next the NBA Draft and the MAVs have the number one pick.