Speaker 1: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
Speaker 2: Mister gorbachaw tear down this wall.
Speaker 1: It's the Ricochet Podcast. Well Steve Hayward hosting this week along with Charles C. W. Cook and special guest Anny McCarthy, breaking down all the unrest on the streets and in the court room. Let's have ourselves a podcast.
Speaker 2: Look, it's very simple, not complicated.
Speaker 1: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 3: The increasing range of Iran's ballistic business would bring that nuclear likement to the cities of Europe and eventually to America. Remember, Iran calls Israel the small saple. It calls America the great sagem. Long live Israel and long live America.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ricochet Podcast number seven hundred and forty five. It's Steve Hayward sitting in the host chair today while James is still away. Joined by and now one hundred percent recovered Charles C. W. Cook at his outpost in Florida. How are you today, Charles?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. Thankfully, There's nothing going on in the news, so I've been able to ease back into it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I keep saying I've been saying for a while now that things happen so fast in Trump two that we're gonna need to measure in dog years. And doesn't the Trump Musk divorce feel like two years ago already?
Speaker 2: You know, I think to some extent reconcile. So we've been through a divorce and maybe a remarriage. It's like Richard Burton and Liz Taylor. I wonder how many times it will happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it may follow that same epicycle. Yeah, I'm actually still on holiday over in Europe, but so not keeping up moment by moment by the news. But like everyone else, I woke up early this morning here i head of most of you in America, of course, to see the news that Israel has, you know, dropped the dime, so to speak, on Iran in a big way. And I guess my first thought, Charles is you know, the left was starting to taunt Trump here a few weeks ago, saying he was what was the euphemism or the acronym, he was a taco person attack Taco. I'm guessing right now that Iran may have taken a Trump's war aversion too seriously, but they won't be celebrating Taco Tuesday this next week. Put it that way, right, Maybe that's too glib, but the point is, I did wonder. You know, there's ways of thinking that Trump didn't want them to do this, and did they do it without telling us? And you know these things have gone on. But then he released that very strong statement on truth social saying, look, I told him Ron that they had sixty days and today would be six day sixty one. That I meant it. And it looks to me like Trump didn't chicken out this time. Of course, they're not American forces committed to this, at least not yet.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: A few thoughts. The first is it was very odd that the Democrats picked up on that line of argument, given that they didn't want Trump to do the things he was doing, so they were taunting him for taking their position. Yeah, not a smart move in politics, especially with Trump on this in particular, though, Trump is an interesting figure in that there is a movement that has been built up around Trump that often projects onto Trump views that he doesn't actually hold and uses him to claim changes on the right that have not happened.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: There is a lot clearly that has changed with the arrival of Trump into the Republican Party, which is now a ten year phenomenon. But some of the time, for example, on economics, the claims that are made just aren't true. This idea that, wow, the Republican are no longer interested in, say tax cuts, Trump's here, Well they are, and it is never more pronounced than in the realm of foreign policy. It is true that Trump criticized the Iraq War, but there is a huge gap between the Iraq War and the vast majority of things that American presidents have done in the last thirty years. Iraq, in fact, is only notable because it was an aberration from the foreign policy that had surrounded it. And for some reason, some within the so called or supposed Trump faction have decided that he is an isolationist who would be opposed to ever deploying American troops, ever exerting American force. Well, he hasn't actually, in this case, had to do either of even those things. He's just had to say, yeah, Israel, go deal with Iran. Quite why there was this vehemence and assumption that he would be opposed to this, It was never quite clear to me. Clearly he is not. He has left some wiggle room in his rhetoric. Marco Ruby was clear to note that the Americans weren't involved. But this isn't out of character for Trump if you look at his first term, or if you look at the way that he sees the world, supporting Israel, doing America a favor, and of course doing Israel a great favor too. In taking out some of Iran's nuclear capabilities is classic Trump, surely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, right, there was. I'm no expert on military capabilities, but I always thought that there was some doubt as to whether Israel could successfully attack Iran alone. I mean, people kept saying they need American help, they need least American intelligence and maybe a wax plans and I don't know what other, you know, practical logistical support along the way.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it appears that they did not eat any need any of that. They only needed our blessing. Uh. And now we'll see weapons and weapons, right, and That'sump said that, right, Look that we've got the best weapons, and we've given them a lot of them to Israel, and we're going to give them more. I mean, Trump sounds like he's all in on backing Israel on this.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in our interests for Iran not to have a nuke, and I think we can. I shouldn't assume we've become so deranged by Iraq that now even indirect help is cast us being a forever war. But surely we can acknowledge that Iran not having a nuclear weapon is good for America. Right, yeah, Well, we can debate how we do that, whether we should do it ourselves, whether we should support is, how much we should spend, whether there are risks, those are totally reasonable questions, But the goal, the end, the aim here of Iran not having a nuclear weapon surely is presumptively good.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, I think so, I will say, I do know, well, actually you know what, I will name names. You know, we had Dan McCarthy on the show here several weeks ago, and he was very stubborn. I mean, he did say, Israel can do it themselves, they don't need any help from us, and I thought, well, maybe that's true, but I'm not sure how. I don't know that. I don't know how you would know that. I like Dan, he's a pal, but he and there are other people like him, were very dug in that. Really it's none of our business. If it Ron has a bomb, it's not really a threat to us. And I think that there has been this effort by people like Dan, who I repeat I like very much, but I think is greatly mistaken here, along with others who are saying the same thing. And that's not even before you get into Tucker Carlson territory, which I don't want to get into.
Speaker 2: You mean you don't want to get into the topic, or you don't want to get into the territory he's occupied.
Speaker 1: Either one quarantine the non aggressor.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I think Dan is wrong. I like him too. I do think it's important to us. I think as a threshold question, it is important to the United States who has nuclear weapons, and I don't think it matters where they are in the world. You cannot get far enough away and stay on Earth from nuclear weapons like it obviously affects US Iran. It's not even where Australia is in the world. You know, it's right next to a whole bunch of countries that affect us, whether they're allies or enemies, or we're just neutral towards them. We take that perfect theoretical Washingtonian stance. It matters, So I just I can't. I don't know if that is being used as a proxy for it is better on balance for us not to get involved, or it's better for them to get a nuclear bomb than it is for us to art or support a war. Sure, I can buy the argument, although I don't agree with it, but not to care. Come on, not to say it's not in our interest that that ship has sailed. That is just not There was a certain point in American history, I think where this sort of view made perfect sense. I mean, for example, although we weren't wholly unaffected by it, if you were an American president in eighteen twenty, the movement within the Habsburg Empire, they didn't actually matter that much, right, I mean, you could say plausibly, we don't care, but Iran nuclear weapons.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, yeah, that's right. Yes, And they showing their question is well, let's switch gears here, back to the scene at home, and okay, so what we've got the resistance, the riots going on in Los Angeles and elsewhere, sounds like they might spread. It sounds like maybe some governors like Abbott will get out in front of it and stop it from starting. And then we have this crazy stunt with Senator Padilla in California. By the way, my theory as a native Californian who's watched the state slide into a one party socialist republic here in the last twenty twenty five years. The problem with Padilla and Kamala Harris and Newsom to some extent is they don't affect They don't face much effective Republican opposition, they don't face much serious media scrutiny, and so suddenly when things are running against them, they behave in these ridiculous ways like Senator Padia. Now we'll talk with Andy McCarthy in a few minutes about some of the legal aspects of this, But you and I are better at the politics of it. And it seems to me this disastrous politics for the Democrats, and I think some of their own polls are even perhaps showing this. What Mayor Bass said, this is all terrible. And then she declares a curfew. I think, you know, faster you can say bad opinion poll, she put in a curfew. So what's your sense of it from over the other side of the country.
Speaker 2: Wowuck, It pains me to say this, because, as you know, I'm a big lover of California. But your state's crazy. Yeah, it's the most beautiful place in the world, run by terrible people who seem to think that they have a veto on federal law. And in any other context, Steve, this would be compared to the nullifiers of the past. They wouldn't be the heroes, they'd be the presumptive villains. You just don't get to stand in the way of legitimate federal functions because you don't like them any more than Florida would. I think that it has become clear within California that the view that I just outlined is the majority in the country, and that there is a great deal of downside to taking the stance that California has. It is not the case that Donald Trump is wildly popular. He's more popular than I thought he would be in his second term, but he's not wildly popular. But he is about twenty or thirty probably more popular than the Democrats, and especially on the question of immigration. The party looks absolutely crazy compared to Trump, and I think that some of the rhetorical backtracking that we've seen we can get to Perdilla separately, because he escalated, but from Mayor Bass from Gavin Newsom is the product of that they've recognized, and I've noticed a shift prior to that backtracking. Joe Biden was disgraceful in his refusal to enforce federal immigration law, an absolute historic disgrace, and he cost his party dearly. But he always pretended he was doing it. He always said, no, no, we are enforcing the border. And then later on he said, you know whose fault it is that the border is open. Republicans remember that stunt where they said that they needed more power from Congress, and of course that was nonsense, but Biden understood at least that he had to lie about it, and for a while Bass and Knewsome and Shift they didn't. They just came out openly said, look, we just don't believe that we should be enforcing this. Lord, it's terrible, we'll stop you. Paddia is still doing that, those guys are, which is probably the product of a shift in opinion. Pauling that United.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, my mind runs back now to Biden's Secretary of Homeland Security, that despicable Mayorcus kept saying over and over again in congressional hearings the border is secure. I could not believe they thought they could say that with a straight face, right right, and yet they did. I say the other thing, that's funny you mentioned Mayor Basta claric curfew. If Gavin knew some filing legal pleadings about states rights and the Tenth Amendment. Trump has this way of turning everybody on their heads.
Speaker 5: Annoying.
Speaker 2: It's so annoying because in every circumstance where the authority of the states actually applies and the federal government is overreaching in a way that would have been totally alien to the founders and ready to everyone prior to the New Deal, California is wrong, California. But the second that it's something that is undisputably a federal function, there's suddenly all about the Tenth Amendment. It's like they can't be right even when they're trying right right.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the problem is that we're seeing in California and other Blue states what I call the senescence of modern liberalism. And we do have a cure for sinessence of modern liberal well maybe not modern liberalism, but least for us individuals. And it comes from our first sponsor today, Qualitias Analytic quality. A synalytic is at the frontier of what is currently possible in the science of human aging. Synalytics are a science field revolutionizing human aging. The big culprit behind that middle aged feeling can be sinessence cells otherwise known as zombie cells, that linger in your body after their useful function, wasting your energy and resources. The accumulation of zombie cells can lead less energy, slower workout recovery, joint discomfort, and basically just feeling old. Quality of Synalytics as a groundbreaking, clinically tested supplement with nine vegan plant derived compounds that help your body naturally eliminate sinessence cells, helping you feel years younger in just months. Here's how it works. You take it just two days a month, helping your body naturally eliminate zombie cells to age better at the cellular level. I know James has tried it and loves it, and you too can experience the science of feeling younger. Go to qualitylife dot com slash ricochet for up to fifty percent off your purchase and use code ricochet for additional fifteen percent. That's qualityolife dot com. That's spelled qua A la l I f equalitylife dot com slash Ricochet for an extra fifteen percent off your purchase your older self. Well, thank you, and we thank Qualitia for sponsoring this the Ricochet Podcast. And now we welcome back to the podcast our great friend Any McCarthy, Senior Fellow at National Review Institute, a National Review contributing editor and author of Ball of Confusion, The Plot to Reagan Election and Destroy Presidency. Welcome Andy. Gosh. You know, as a lawyer, the Trump administration is keeping you busy trying to keep up with things.
Speaker 4: Boy, it's all overwhelming.
Speaker 5: I wrote something like I want to say three four days ago about the Khalil immigration case. I have a three quarters finished, and I can't get to it because it feels like every ten minutes something else happens and just overwhelms the news cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, now we want to ask you first about the legal aspects of Trump calling up the California National Guard. And I'm overseas actually, and I haven't kept up with all the details, but I gather he's not yet invoked the Insurrection Act, which I guess is maybe the most clear statue to authorize that. But I think there are other means of doing it. What do you make of the scene so far of as Is there any problems with it? Are the criticisms from people like Governor Newsom have any validity? Or what's Anny McCarthy's always candid take on what Trump does here?
Speaker 5: Well, it's hard from you know, I'm on the East Coast. I'm watching the news just like everyone else's. I think it's hard when you read the conflicting reports, and particularly when you read Judge Briar's opinion in the California District Court, which made a ruling yesterday that the Ninth Circuit has suspended that Trump's invocation of the statute that he didn't folk, which is twelve four h six, that that was unlawful. We can get into why he said that, but one of the what he basically argues is that there is no rebellion and that there are you know, there's sporadic violence, but that there isn't as much violence as the administration suggests. And then, you know, you get a lot of pushback from the other side that at least in the places where the violence is happening, federal functions are not able to go forward.
Speaker 4: And even though the.
Speaker 5: People who are resisting the Trump administration and the immigration authorities. Even though they're not armed with firearms, there've been molotov cocktails, they've thrown objects that could be lethally dangerous at the police, they've boxed them in, they've made it impossible for them to inform or some laws. So it's difficult to get a read in part, I think, Steve, because Los Angeles is also huge. We're talking about not just Los Angeles the city, but Los Angeles County, which is just it's massive. So you know, there are many people in Los Angeles, I guess who can look out their windows and see that everything's fine and there is no violence, and there is no seemingly there's not a problem. But in the places where there has been there have been uprisings, they've been pretty intense. So there's that difficulty of getting a level, you know, getting a read on how violent things are, which I think is important because he's invoking rebellion and I think, you know, it used to be prior to January sixth if you threw around words like you know, sedition, insurrection and rebellion, those words had and we actually thought that, you know, you had to get to a certain level of uprising before invoking those sorts of things. I think, you know, the fact that they tagged a three and a half hour riot where none of the security forces were killed. There were a lot of injuries, but the damage to the facility was so minimal that Congress was able to reconvene that evening that nevertheless had to be because of political reasons and insurrection, and I think it kind of trivialized the concept, and now they want to have an exacting definition of rebellion after, you know, after we basically, you know, got rid of insurrections as something meaningful. So that's a big part of Judge Brier's opinion as well. But you do have to make a judgment about how serious the violence is if you're going to throw words like rebellion around, I still think that's true.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, one more quick question or point andy, before I turn you over to the tender mercies of Charlie. Look, I remember the Rodney King riots of nineteen ninety two, which people like Maxine Waters still very much with us, called a rebellion. I think she might even used the term insurrection by the way she was for it, right, I mean, at least the people who said January sixth was an insurrection for people who didn't like it. Okay, but it seems to me that again I've come up this from a political point of view more than a legal one. And one thing is is that, of course, the Rodney King riots and actually one of my earliest childhood memories growing up in Pasadena was seeing the distance smoke from the Watts riots in nineteen sixty five. I could go out in my front yard and see the smoke from a long way away and what was I nine years old or something, and thought, wow, this is really kind of scary. The point is that it seems to me there's an argument for saying, don't wait for it to spread all over to the city or to spread to five more places. You want to nip it in the bud. And and I mean, that's why it seems to me that at least the political logic and the moral logic is entirely on Trump's side.
Speaker 5: You know, it's interesting that you mentioned that because I've had occasion in the last couple of days Steve to talk about when I was I think eleven or twelve, Kent State happened and that's my powerful memory and it's every time we have a situation like this where we think about putting federal troops into a domestic situation, I can't help but go back to that, because to me, more than more than tet more than Tonkin Gulf, more than almost anything that happened in those years. I think the Kent State debacle in which four students were killed created the mythos about the Vietnam War as we remember it now. To me, because I was so young and impressionable, that's like the most powerful memory of that incident. And every time we have something like this happen, that's what I find myself.
Speaker 2: Going back to Andy, I have two related questions for you, and I hope you're sitting down because a very off brand for me. Number One, does Trump need a law here? Is there any inherent authority within the presidency to execute federal law and to defend those who are executing federal law from those who would resist? Two? Is this just disiible? I mean, I am the everything's just dieable guy. I tend to like courts. I tend to think in so many cases where people say that's non just dieuble, there's no real way of arbitrating unless you use the courts even in core constitutional questions involving the political branches. But this level of micromanagement surely at some point must become unsustainable.
Speaker 5: Both are great questions, and Judge Bryer wrestles with the justice ability, I don't think very convincingly, but he wrestles with it in his opinion. I think it's a useful example for this, Charlie is the Alien Enemies Act invocation, because a lot of that litigation has gone back to an opinion that Justice Frankfurter wrote in about a year after the actual shooting in the Second World War ended, where the president had invoked President Truman had invoked the Alien Enemies Act.
Speaker 4: It had been.
Speaker 5: Invoked throughout the war, but the people who brought the lawsuit wanted to claim that there was no longer a declared war, that the state of war no longer obtained. And what frankfort basically said, and this gets the lines very blurry, I think, is that the court owes a lot of deference to presidential judgment because of the nature of what was being litigated there, but that courts are capable of interpreting statutory terms, and what the court there decided was that because Congress and the political branches together, Congress and the President had not acted in any way to end the declaration of war, and we're taking the position that the war was still ongoing even though it.
Speaker 4: Was nineteen forty six.
Speaker 5: The court was not going to.
Speaker 4: The second guess that.
Speaker 5: So they said that basically, they said, we have this statutory term, you have to be able to show that there is a declared war, but we're going to defer a great deal to the political branches about whether the declared war is still ongoing because they haven't attracted it. And then they said there are other things like that statue talks about aliens of the enemy force who are below the age of eight of fourteen. So they said that was something that a court can wrestle with because it's a bright.
Speaker 4: Line, easy yeah.
Speaker 5: And the other things that weren't in the statue or were not up for debate in that case was was there an invasion or a predatory incursion? And it does seem like in all of these cases and this controversy raises the same issues. There are always two questions. One is what's the objective test? That is, what is the thing that's in the statute that has to be established. And then secondly, who gets to decide? And I don't think the courts have been consistent on that. I think what they basically say is, since the statute is written in an objective way, in the sense that it doesn't say in the President's judgment, it just says, you know, insurrection or rebellion, the first thing is, you know, objectively speaking, is there reason to believe that that condition obtains? And that I think is one threshold. And then the second question becomes, if the president decides it obtains, then how much are we going to subject that to scrutiny? And one of interestingly, in the oral argument in California, one of the questions that Judge Briar pressed the Trump Justice Department on was what if President Trump, in order to invoke twelve four h six, had decided there was a rebellion. He had absolutely no evidence that there was a rebellion. He just on his own, ifsay Dixon, it's a rebellion, does a court have to accept that? The administration's position is that the court has to accept it. Briar's position is that the court doesn't have to accept it, so it seems to me there's not a.
Speaker 4: Good answer to your question.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of blurriness here, and it seems to me that there's there's again there's an initial threshold of can we agree that there are enough facts that it's at least plausible that the statutory term has been met, and then if it has how much difference do we of to the to the president to in terms of invoking it. So that's not a very satisfying answer, but I think that's where we're at in terms of whether the president needs the law at all. I think it depends on what it is the president wants to accomplish, because you have this crash, which I think also leads to some blurriness between the position that the Justice Department and the Office of Legal Counsel have taken historically, which I think is best articulated in this nineteen seventy one memo which was written by William Rehnquist when he was running OLC at the Justice Department, which talks about the protective function of the meaning the president's authority to use the military in order to carry out executive functions that are his lawful, legitimate functions. In the executive branch, and that crashes into POSI Coomatadis, which is enacted at the end of the toward the end of the nineteenth century and basically says that in the absence of a congressional authorization or something clear in the constitution, the president cannot use the military for domestic law enforcement functions. So it seems clear that if what the president is calling the military and to do is protect federal facilities like courthouses or federal buildings, the military can do that because that's not a law enforcement function. There's also authority for the proposition that if people are blocking, say.
Speaker 4: Facilities and interstate.
Speaker 5: Commerce like railroads or highways, and that were to prevent something like the mails from being delivered, the president could dispatch the military to open up those facilities to make sure that the mail could be delivered, and might in fact even be able to use the military forces to deliver the mail, because that's not a law enforcement function. I think where it gets tricky, and Rich asked me this yesterday about in the podcast. I'm less confident now than I was when I gave that answer, because I've looked a lot more into this since then. The question is what if the president you have these disruptions of the ability of the agents to enforce the immigration law, people blocking the places where they want to go in and do the raids, people trying to prevent the agents from getting it, people they want to place under.
Speaker 4: Arrest, that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Can the president dispatch the military to protect the federal function of enforcing the immigration laws in a sanctuary city where the local law enforcement they're not allowed to obstruct, but they're not required to help the federal authorities, and where people are clearly obstructing that function. If it gets serious enough that the federal law enforcement people cannot carry out their duties, can you send the military along to protect them? And when does that evolve from a protective mission where you're basically making sure the agents are safe when they go about the duty of, say, arresting someone or carrying out a raid, or are the military guys actually doing law enforcement? Is that so close to the actual execution of the law that in the absence of congressional authorization, it's something that should be illegal. And I don't think that's been resolved. The more I look into it, the more I think it's a blurry line.
Speaker 1: Hey, I've got to interrupt here. Maybe you started your business because it was your passion, but fell into HR as your business got going. Nobody's an expert in all areas, including HR. That's why we're excited about an all in one solution that can give you your time back to do what you love most, which is growing your business. Bamboo HR is a powerful, yet flexible, all in one HR solution for your growing business. Stop spending countless hours on payroll, time tracking, benefits, performance management. With Bamboo HR, those hours are shaved down to minutes. And it's why over thirty four thousand companies trust Bamboo HR because it's an integrated system that is designed to handle your current and upcoming HR needs. Plus, bamboohr prides itself on being super easy, easy to use, easy to learn, easy to implement, and very easy to love. Bamboohr handles everything from hiring and onboarding to payroll and benefits. When business owners switch to Bamboo HR, the intuitive interface stands out Immediately take a couple minutes check out the free demo and see how nimble and affordable this valuable tool can be. HR is hard, but Bamboo HR is easy. I can't recommend bamboo hr enough. Check it out for yourself with a free demo at bamboohr dot com slash free demo. That's bamboo hr dot com slash free demo. And we thank bamboo hr for sponsoring this the Recochet podcast. Well, this seems to me a blurry line that a lot of modern trends have brought us to. I mean, I repair to a few simple things. First of all, curtis right case the president is the sole organ of foreign policy. Now you say this isn't a foreign policy question, except maybe it is in a certain way that I mean, the left says we should live in a world without borders. Well, guess what that means foreign policy is different. I'm sure I'm just using their argument against them for a moment. The other one is you mentioned Frankfurter. Was he the one who said the Constitution is not a suicide pact? Or was that Jackson? I don't remember Jackson, Robert jack Jackson, Right, okay, but that you know famous line of that same era of cases that you were invoking, And I don't know, Andy, I just get frustrated with trying to parse this out in legal terms. I guess here I'm a strong executive power man, and that the checks on him ultimately should be political and popular. But popular, I mean a sentiment of the American people and Congress is not without remedies available to it. I mean they're difficult. Impeachment takes time if you want to go to the most extreme one. But I don't know, this seems like I see, I'm I'm attacking your profession. I'm sorry, Andy, I can't help it. But as a constitutionalist rather than as a lawyer, and I know there's a blurred line there. I just get very frustrated with the way this always ends up in court, the way Topeville said all of our disputes we're gonna go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot to that, you know. I always what I've found over the years, especially after working on national security cases instead of you know, my last ten years as a prosecutor, I did much more national security stuff than cops and robbers stuff. And what you really, I think, what the impression you come away with in a much more powerful way, is that we like to think of ourselves as a rule of law society, but we're a political society. The most important decisions that get made are political ones, and I think we delude ourselves sometimes into the actually they can't even with respect to the most important decisions that we might have to make for the protection of the country. You can't make antecedent and Hamilton recognized us right, because the threats to a country could be infinite. You can't make antecedent laws that bind the government in a way that they might not be, that the government might not be able to respond in a meaningful way to kinds of threats that you haven't anticipated. So I think the thing that's challenging about Trump's presidency, and I think this might be best seen in the in the immunity the argument, which you know, as time goes by, I actually think Charlie you noted, I think at the time when the when the Supreme Court made their decision about whether the president had immunity from criminal prosecution or not, which of course is not in the Constitution. But at the same time, I think everybody common sense wise knows that the president has to carry out certain particular executive functions and he can't be stopped from carrying them out by criminal statutes. So that's the that's the tension, and I think looking back on it, Justice Barrett has a much more modest take on that than the rest of the majority did. But the broader point I wanted to make about Trump is that we went two hundred and thirty years without having to have that sketched out in an apidictic way, because everybody kind of knew that there were these norms. You know that the president has to make very hard decisions and some of them are going to be legally dubious, and we can't have a situation where the next administration is going to come in and prosecute the president or what he did in the last administration unless it's so blatantly criminal that it can't be that its criminality can't be ignored, because you can't have a function in government that way. Right If the president has to worry about being prosecuted or civilly sued while he's making these decisions that are of great consequence of the country, the government can't function. We went two hundred and thirty years without a court having to to describe what the parameters are or at least grapple with them, because you know, we still don't really know exactly what the lines are even after that decision. But the thing is everything, there's a number of things Steve you talked about, you know, politics rather than law, and a lot of the important stuff that goes on and government is covered by norms more than laws because once people get into these once you get into an important government position, your bad calls are not going to be subject to criminal prosecution or civil suit. So what controls you to stay within the four corners of your authority is more norms than law. And I think we function that way fine for a very long time. But Trump, I think more than any of his predecessors. And this isn't to say he invented this. I just think he pushes it harder than the rest. But he finds the loose joints in the system and he pushes them. And I think, you know, I've had this argument with people who say he wants to be a dictator. You know, he's accumulating power to himself. I don't think he's got I don't think he's got a realistic idea that he's going to be president forever. I think he knows he's going to be president for four years. And I think in the current very paralyzed system, that we're in, he's basically got two years to get stuff done. He has no prayer of getting much statutory stuff done. And what he's trying to do is identify all the things that he can do unilaterally and push as hard as he can in the directions that he wants to take the country. And a lot of it looks like, you know, Charlie and I both talked about, you know, the pretextual use of emergencies in order to you know, to do things that a president shouldn't be able to do, essentially legislate. He's looking for all the things that he can do unilaterally, even if he needs a pretext to do it. And I don't know that we've ever had a president. I mean, we're only six months in and I feel exhausted trying to, you know, to watch him every day. But I don't know that we've ever had a president who tries to to push the outer limits of his authority so hard, so fast, to the point where now courts are being called in to try to draw lines, just like they did with the with the immunity. I think that's the stress on the system.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but to what extent, andy is that stress also being created by the left, and I'm thinking the immunity case, the immunity case was created by law fair right. And then in this case. One of the problems here is that you have the governor of California is trying to subvert immigration law, or at least is on the side of those who are and maybe then Trump pushes it too far. But it seems that we have a perfect storm where you have one side pushes everything over and then Trump says, oh, well, I'm going to push it over in the other direction, and then we expect the courts to fix this Or Am I just being two partisan?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, law fair is complicated because the most preposterous case or cases are like the New York cases, you know, Bragg's case. I don't think, you know, I looked at this very closely for a long time. I didn't agree with Jack Smith's, especially the J six case, because I think he was stretching statutes to the limit to try to criminalize what Trump did. But you know, I was in the Justice Department for a long time. There's no way that an attack on the capital of the kind that happened on January sixth would not have been investigated as a as a criminal event. And even if we quibble of whether the statutes that were stretched the way they were applied to what Trump did, there's no question that Trump did appalling things on January sixth and the run up to it, which would have justified at least investigating him, right. And then the Florida thing, I think that was you know, you can argue about whether they should have brought it criminally or not, but that's there was definitely conduct that was involved there. You know, did they overdo it, Yes, they overdid it. And was there a coordinated strategy in order to bring cases at a particular time that would hit in the run up to the election. There absolutely was, But it's just it's complicated. I think the sanctuary city stuff is much more on point for what we're talking about, because, you know, if you look at what Judge Bryer wrote, he wrote a thirty six page opinion, which means he must have he had to start writing at the minute he got the case. But you know, there's nothing in that opinion about sanctuary cities or sanctuary policies or the fact that the federal government has the right and the power and the authority to, you know, to enforce the immigration laws, and that the states are effectively obstructing the enforcement of the immigration laws. So the whole opinion is kind of it's artificial in the sense that what you're talking about is like, there's violence in the streets and is it enough of an impediment on the federal agents And we're not really talking about why there's a problem and that whole.
Speaker 2: And I'll finish with this, but that's the part of this that's making me crazy because I am a very big fan of the decision of the Supreme Court in Princeville, United States, which was from nineteen ninety seven, which is the justification for sanctuary cities insofar as jurisdictions in America are not obliged to help the federal government. That case was a gun case. It was a case that came about after the Brady Act because the Brady Act initially required the states to enforce certain portions of federal law. And Scalia writes this opinion and he says, no, you're not allowed to do that. That's commandeering. So whenever people complain about sanctuary cities, I always jump in and say, hey, oh yeah, terrible politically, but legally, we actually like some of the principles that are in play here. But California, in its rhetoric and in its actions, has gone so much further than Prince and it really annoys me because in any other circumstance it would be very obvious that they are behaving like George Wallace. They're the ones who are redolent of the Confederacy and of the massive resistance, not Trump. And yet somehow in the press this gets cast as he's breaking norms. Well, he might be pushing it to the edges. But we had this fight, right, We had this fight over and over again. Are you allowed to nullify federal law? No, you're bloody well not. I've sent my piece.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: I do want to say though, that it's this is an interesting area, and it's been a kind of a bugaboo of mine for a long time because when the Constitution was ratified, the thing that was certain was that the states had authority over who was lawfully in their territory, and what wasn't clear was whether there was a federal enforcement role. The Supreme Court over about a century's time, beginning in the early twentieth century, probably late nineteenth century, derived a federal role out of basically two things. One the notion that the national government is sovereign and has to protect the borders and is in charge of foreign policy, is in charge of protecting Americans who are abroad, So that that was one part of it. And then the other part is Congress's the constitutional assignment to Congress an Article one of naturalization authority, you know, setting the terms of naturalization. From those two things, the court derived a federal responsibility over immigration enforcement. And then I think what happened is probably what invariably happens, which is, once the federal courts invent a federal responsibility, it swallows up the state responsibility. But for a long time we went along and this arrangement worked because federal statutory authority in terms of enforcement of immigration is very strong. It's very pro law enforcement. Charlie, you've had to deal with it in a way that you know that Steve and I happened. But I mean, they're, you know, they're pretty formidable laws. So you could tolerate a system where the states had the authority to enforce immigration only in so far as it was consistent with federal law. But then what happened was Obama comes along and he says, no, no, no, you don't have to use States don't have to comport with federal statutory law. You have to comport with Obama administration immigration policy, which is to not enforce the law, the federal laws. And I think Scalia rightly said that if you know, if it was presented to the States at the convention in Philadelphia in seventeen eighty seven, that you can't protect yourself immigration wise, because that's going to be a federal responsibility, and if they decide to not enforce their own laws, you can't. Then nobody would have joined this compact. The Constitution wouldn't have been ratified.
Speaker 1: Right Well, Andy, I you know, I kept thinking that if nothing else, this is kind of glib at kind of serious point. If nothing else, Trump has taken the gridlock in Congress and moved it to the judiciary. I mean, we're just jamming up the courts with all these problems, right But one reason we love to want to have you back over and over again, Andy, is there's no gridlock when we have you here. You sort out a lot of these problems for us and a lot more always to be said, but we'll have to have you back soon for the sequels, of which I'm sure there are going to be many.
Speaker 4: Probably sooner than later. But great to talk to you guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks Andy, we'll see you soon. See you well, all right, Charlie. You know our listeners can't see that wonderful, splashy blue flower print shirt you're wearing. It just screams Florida. And also you're obviously back in full fitness after your belt with the plague whatever it was. And I'm guessing it's because of the sheets you've been using.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And of course I used my sheets more than ever when I was sick, and they were luxurious to lie on because they're made by Cozy Earth. So Cozy Earth not only keeps me cool in what is now the full fledged Florida summer, but it nursed me back to hell. So thank you Cozy Earth for that. And that's because Cozy Earth uses the best fabrics and textiles that provide the ultimate ingredient for luxurious softness that lets me sleep like a baby. And here's the thing. They're not just soft.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Weave fabric is enhanced for a durability that won't pull and best of all, Cozy Earth bedding products have a one hundred night sleep trial and a ten year warranty. That's a whole decade of cool quality sleep. What is that? Three years perhaps of sleeping, maybe more, depends how much you sleep. If you have small children like me, you sleep less than you shared, which means you don't get to spend as much time on the cozy air sheets as you want. But what you do spend is terrific. Luxury should not be out of reach. So you can go to cozyer dot com and use code ricochet obviously r I C O C H E T, and if you do, you will get up to forty percent off cozyerth's best selling temperature regulating sheets, apparel and more. Trust me, you will feel the dis Trust me, you will feel the difference the very first night. That's cozy earth dot com. The code is ricochet, Sleep Cooler, lounge lighter, and stay cozy.
Speaker 1: All right, Charles, let's get out today with a little cultural news. Boy. I got a reminder of how old I'm getting when the news came of the death of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, at the age of eighty two, i'd lost trap. Of course, everyone's getting to be a ja two from that old rocker generation of the sixties. But you know, I grew up with the beach boys in California. Was a beach Gord, Laguna Beach, Malibu, all the places they used to sing about.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it's very emblematic of California in those days, you know, the whole story of the Wilson and the the Mike Love and all the families involved in it, as they were sort of working class people who'd come to southern California where you could buy a home for quite cheaply not far from the beach, in places like Long Beach and Huntington Beach and Santa Monica, unlike today. And so that's just a side from the music. There's sort of a cultural connection there too, and I don't know, you know, that's sort of one of those totems. By the way, Paul McCartney once said that God Only Knows was the greatest rock and roll song ever written, which I thought was high praise, and I think it was George Martin who said that it was in fact, pet sounds really great out the greatest dabble of the Beach Boys that inspired the Beatles to excel and Sergeant Pepper. Sergeant Pepper was the Beatles answer to the Beach Boys because they thought the Beach Boys were their competition.
Speaker 2: Well, and they were. I think, really, if you look back at the sixties and seventies, there are three people who stand out to me as deserving the label genius. One is Paul McCartney, another is Paul Simon, and then you have Brian Wilson. The thing about Brian Wilson that's so interesting is he was crazy. He was not supposed to reach eighty two. Now I don't say that disparagingly, but he was quite genuinely afflicted by mental illness. He had a form of schizophrenia and he had auditory hallucinations, and I think the auditory hallucinations helped him. We overplay in our culture the tortured genius. Being mentally ill is not fun in movies. They often make it look glamorous being an alcoholic. But he derived his ability to do the work that he did from the same source as tormented him for so much of his life, and it really did tormenting me. He had to drop out in the mid sixties from the Beach Boys tours, just as they hit peak popularity, and that allowed him to produce Pet Sounds, which was basically a Brian Wilson project, and then everyone thought, well, here we go. We're going to see the sort of second half of the Beach Boys career that you saw in the Beatles, where from nineteen sixty six on which the Beatles just went super and over, but Brian Wilson couldn't do it. You get good vibrations and then he falls apart, and he spent the rest of his life falling apart. He couldn't work for most of it. He had rare flashes of genius. He spent years trying to produce one record. He was setting fire to things in the recording studio, putting his feet in sand. But undoubtedly one of the great songwriters of all time. And if you had told his family in nineteen sixty six that he would live till eighty two, I think they would have been shocked, especially given his drug use and his alcohol use. But he did, which is a happy ending of sorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you mentioned sort of the mania that goes along with somebody of various degrees of spectral mental health. I've always been struck by the astounding fact that maybe the most famous song, or one of them, Good Vibrations, it took eighty hours in the studio to record that song. And I mean, if I've been one of the other musicians, I'd have been going out of my mind, I think. But he was such a perfectionist.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 1: By the way, here's some outtakes of that process in the collection of records that I think. It was one of the things that always Wilson wanted to do after Pet Sounds, but had to abandon. But finally a few years ago someone came out with what they call the Smile Sessions. It's big, long collection, and you have in there some of the outtakes of early cuts of Good Vibrations and some of the narration, and you get some appreciation for how painsticking and demanding and Perfectioncy was, but also wanting to do something new and different that just had a sound that nobody else could come close to. I mentioned to somebody recently that you know, the other imitating imitators the Beach Boys in those years was jan and Deine. And the only reason I remember Janetine is their great. One of their great hit was The Little Old Lady from Pasadena, and since I lived in the Pasadena area, I sort of remember that. But they weren't even close, of course. I mean they can kind of imitate a little bit of the sound. But nobody remembers Jan and Deine today. But we're gonna remember Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys for a long time, I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. And by the way, McCartney was completely correct when he said that God Only Knows is the greatest pop song ever written. It's an astonishing work that really is more classical in its chord structure than most pop music. You got the explosion in the seventies of so called baroque en roll, but that was the first example of it and the best example of it. I like that song so much, Steve, that I actually played it at my wedding. It was our first dance song. Well, I'm a horrible dancer. I'm a very good musician, but for some reason, my sense of which I do have in my hands when I play instruments, just doesn't translate to the rest of my body. So I end up looking like some sort of stick insect, having a stroke, but my wife still.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want to get some AI generated version of that to show I'll be deported, got stripped of your citizenship?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Can a chance to get into all those questions with ay or anybody else, But I think that'll do it for us this week, Listeners, This podcast was brought to you by Quality of Synalytic, Cozy Earth, and Bamboo hr. Please support them for supporting us, And as James likes to say, please join ricochet dot com, the best place for civil center right conversation on the web. And as James also likes to say, and I will like to say it too, please take a minute to leave a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify or wherever you source your favorite podcast material. Your reviews help us get more listeners, and that keeps the show going. And so we will see you in the comments. Everybody on Ricochet, what are we up to? Four point oh?
Speaker 2: I've losed a town of things. Four point oh?
Speaker 1: All right, bye bye everybody, See you next week.