Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky Anda. Welcome in to a Tuesday edition of Kentucky Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee. I've got Scott fitz Jared alongside mister John Olden back in the saddle. John Shannon back with us as well, and we are ready to get it rolling here at five oh six.
Speaker 2: As it is.
Speaker 1: Scott and I were just discussing it is I feel like the last two days, specifically today though the humidity in the three am hour. I could be wrong here, but it feels like record setting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gross.
Speaker 3: I dude, I do three laps and shall be parking in the morning, three in the afternoon. My three laps yesterday morning. By the time I got near the end of the second lap, I was already dripping in sweat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not surprised, crazy dude.
Speaker 1: Be prepared today if you've not left, I mean, if you've if you're getting ready to head out of the house to get your day started, you will you will be hit with that thick humidity as soon as you walk outside, So just be prepared. Having the air condition you're on in my car in the morning feels rare, but it's on from some I mean, it's like it's just it's that it's that sticky.
Speaker 2: Outside system holding up at home? Good? How about you?
Speaker 4: Good? Yeah, I'm there, dude.
Speaker 3: It's nice because it's just my wife and I now, so it's nice.
Speaker 4: And it's been shutting on and off.
Speaker 3: And I talked to an acy guy I know, uh, and he told me, he say, as long as your unit keeps shutting off shutting on, you're good.
Speaker 2: John. Do you You are? Probably?
Speaker 1: I think you You probably bought a house more recent than than than myself and Scott did. Did the the AC unit? Was it relatively new? Was it the original one?
Speaker 3: It was the original one, and we ended up having to buy a brand new one couple years ago.
Speaker 1: Gotcha because I perked up a little bit when Scott asked me because I've been paying attention just because I don't have any reason to think mine would go out. I think it's just realizing, man, my life would I'd be I'd be I'd be struggling. It's a stress, yeah, I mean it's not only do you have the you know, you no longer have the ability to be comfortable in your home, but you also worry about what it would coust it could be something as minor as it froze up because you didn't change your filter or you got to replace it all together, and those are drastically different things. So yeah, and this is the kind of heat summer was right on time because the first weekend of summer was brutal, and really since then it's been that way in different ways. Right, Sometimes it's just been like over the weekend, I think humidity was low, but it was just hot. Now it's a little bit of both, but I mean summer is it's brutal, and if you don't have AC it's I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: So there's no worse feeling than waking up in the morning too. And you see that, you feel it the minute you wake up, and then you see the therm mom room when you go downstairs. It just didn't cool down. You're like, oh, here we go.
Speaker 1: And what I had to learn is say, this is long ago. I used to just think, well, if I've got my system set on seventy but it's not getting below seventy two, that doesn't mean something's broken. It just means that it's that hot outside and your unit is working as best it can. That was our first house I just assume, well, I got to call somebody, and it wasn't because I was dying with it not being colder than seventy two. It was more so just worried, Okay, I got to have a plan in place if this thing completely goes out. And then I realized, yeah, sometimes it's just so hot that like seventy two, seventy three is the best you're going to get.
Speaker 3: I did the same thing, and then I was thinking, because are upstairs that we have high higher ceiling in our upstairs, so upstairs forms up even more and it takes harder to cool it down. But now I've noticed that with just my wife and I in the house, things stay a little bit more reasonable, given the kids aren't going in and out. You know, when the kids were younger that you know, I was my old man shot the damn norm.
Speaker 2: You know, so you had a munthle of that stuff you do.
Speaker 4: And so you had that. So it's nice.
Speaker 3: So hopefully everybody listening your ac stays nine. If it doesn't, I hope you have a good HVAC person.
Speaker 1: Yep, because though they certainly are are busy when you've got the summer months going on and it's just disgusting outside like it has all. So we've got a lot to get into today here on a Tuesday. Obviously, I will continue to keep you updated on the floods in Texas. Now over one hundred deaths and there's still many that are missing. Just a tragic situation there. We'll talk to Rory and Neil coming up at eight five forty five and get the latest on that. Also, one thing I've yet to learn about both of you guys. I think I know a little bit about John when it comes to conspiracy theories. But Scott, are you a conspiracy theory kind of guy? Not really, I was gonna guess that you're not, and I I'm not. Yeah, And I think at times i'm more maybe maybe I am naive. But I'm fascinated by them just because I just the amount of people who really get lost in a conspiracy theory and let it consume them, and then they look at everybody else as if they're a bunch of sheep, just believing what everybody wants you to believe, when clearly there was a conspiracy going on. I find those people, I guess, unrelatable. But the Epstein thing, I mean.
Speaker 2: That is I that it'll make you think. Absolutely, it'll make you think.
Speaker 1: So we'll certainly talk about that, and then the latest on the Crystal Rogers trial will give you the latest again as yesterday was a big day and now we're getting down to it as far as this jury going to needing to make a decision on what they're gonna do. So a loaded Tuesday is coming your way, and I hope you stick with us. We've got an update on traffic from Bobby Elli's coming your way. Matt Melosavich will get us caught up on the weather, and we'll keep it rolling along. Here it's Kentucky, and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty WHAS.
Speaker 2: Five point fifteen.
Speaker 1: Here at Kentucky, INA's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee with you. You could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at WHAS dot com. Also listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Keep in mind the talkback features there as well if you want to chime in and contribute to the show today. So this story, it's one that fascinates me and I think we all can agree that when someone is I guess get when someone gets served what it is that a lot of us think they deserve. It's a good feeling, right, somebody having to pay the price for doing something wrong, And I feel wrong as far as how satisfied, I am to see what's playing out here with Misty Noel, who is the She is the estrange wife of former Clark County Sheriff Jamie Noel, who really this has been in the news for years now now is the corruption, the whole scandal where they used millions of taxpayer funds, meaning Jamie Noel and his family with his wife. She ended up getting recently sentenced for her involvement, and she was implicated and again she used a lot of money on personal funds. That money was taxpayer funds and this all took place from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty two. So he served let's see, he got twelve years in prison. He's currently in prison right now. But he pleaded guilty to twenty seven felonies and again she was charged and that process played out last week as far as a plea deal, And to me, this just screams I want to say arrogance, but I also don't feel like that's the right word. To use here because I believe this is backfiring in a way that proves this individual just there's no remorse, there's still wanting to have it your way, get the last word. Because she pleaded last week guilty to five counts of theft and five counts of tax evasion for using the New Chapel EMS funds for personal purchases. So her plea deal was accepted last week on July third, and she was sentenced to eighteen months in prison or ordered restitution for over six hundred and sixty thousand dollars to the New Chapel EMS and also roughly thirty thousand dollars to the Indiana Department of Revenue. So after this sentencing, she wanted to be on TV. She did an exclusive interview. I think she don't know. Let me back up. I don't know if her interviews or exclusive. Maybe she's done interviews elsewhere, but it was a WLKY interview. Our partner's over at LKY the day that she was sentenced, did an interview with her where instead of using that camera time to truly express remorse and truly apologize for again misusing millions of taxpayer funds for personal expenses.
Speaker 2: Is she wanted.
Speaker 1: To get the last word and do the whole Well, I had no clue. But if I'm you know, if I'm guilty of anything, I guess it's that. And I don't have her exact quote here, but anyways, in her interview, she claimed that her husband, who of course they're now stranged, misled her into believing the nonprofit was his private business, not taxpayer funded. So this is somebody saying, you know, yeah, I pleaded guilty today, but I want to go on camera and still try to the arrogance of thinking people will believe you that you had no clue that millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Where would you.
Speaker 1: Think that money was coming from? I mean, like nobody believes that that she unknowingly was involved in this. Now maybe she mean clearly she didn't have the same impact in this as her husband, because he's going to prison for twelve years and was and he played guilty to twenty seven felony. She's not facing those kind of charges. But the arrogance of wanting to be on TV and still tell people that you didn't know you did anything wrong, it is backfired because now the judge Larryry Medlock who again was a part of her prot and when she he accepted her plea last week, well yesterday, he ruled that her statements that she did in that interview with Wlky suggests that she did not knowingly and intentionally commit theft, undermining her guilty plea, Like, you can't do that. I've never had to plead guilty to a crime, but you have to in court. You have to Legitimately, you can't just plead guilty unless you guys do an outford plea where you don't admit admit guilt, but you admit there's enough evidence to convict you. So this, this you know, this TV interview does still want to I mean, it's just delusion as well, thinking that anybody will okay, you didn't know makes total sense now, I mean again, people can believe what they want to believe. But nonetheless, he has now stated that a guilty plea, you know, it can't it can't stand. So from here on out, I mean, she's gonna have another hearing date and probably you know, it sounds like she could possibly end up going to trial, which means that if this get I mean, she could have this interview could have got it to where she probably did eighteen months and maybe not even that long. Maybe she gets shocked probation, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I doubt it. I doubt she would have got shocked.
Speaker 1: But nonetheless, this is you just still wanting like you're never remorseful. You still want people to believe that you didn't have a clue that you were using money that you weren't supposed to be using. And how about the judge just happened to see this on television or the internet wherever it was, and see, oh, well, she's now claiming that she entered a plea that she's since claimed on television that she does she's not guilty. So anyways, that whole that, I'm not sure if it will because there's a lot of true crime stuff that will end up, you know, that competes with this. But I wouldn't be shocked if the whole Jamie Noel situation ends up being some crime documentary, because there's a lot to it. All Right, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way. Bobby Ellis with the traffic update. Matt Melosavitch will give us the forecast, and of course we've got sports coming your way here in four minutes right here on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, John Shannon.
Speaker 1: It is five thirty five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news.
Speaker 2: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: So yesterday was closing arguments in the second Crystal Rogers case. As the defense, they are sticking with what you would expect them to stick with, and that is that this is a no body homicide, no physical evidence, it's just witness testimony. But even that I'm sure they're arguing is is not That's what any good defense representation would do. But the prosecution, they're they're leaning heavily on just inconsistent statements from Brooks howk like the time he omitted his visit to the family farm the night Crystal Rogers vanished. Just a lot of inconsistencies. And look the testimony, although it's not proof, I just maybe this is because this trial, specifically for me, is somebody that is just reading all the coverage of it, right, there's no I mean, we're literally just getting what those that are permitted to attend this trial and Bowling Green are writing down, taking notes and then sharing as soon as you know they have a break in the in the in the trial, or it wraps up for the day. So and by the way, thank you to all those who were there, because without their coverage we wouldn't we wouldn't know what's going on. But I just think the amount of circumstantial evidence, despite it not being any real proof, I just to me, it seems as if this jury would would be would be able to see that, yes, they did a good job of cleaning some things up, but they seem to be guilty in some form or fashion. But I've never been on a jury, and I don't know if you know, I don't think you could put yourself in the shoes of someone on the jury unless you've been in that situation before. But even if you have, I mean again, you're not We're not there, right, You're not hearing every second of this entire trial. So uh, well, we'll find out here soon if this jury's ready to make a decision.
Speaker 2: But it looks yea.
Speaker 1: It says here that after the two weeks of trial, the jury of fifteen, which will soon be twelve after alternates were dismissed here recently, it's going to begin today. So again, nobody no crime scene in this case hinges on circumstantial evidence, And to me, it's just as an outside, an outsider just taking what is being shared each and every day, as far as the defense and what they're saying, the prosecution, what they're saying, what we're hearing from these witnesses, I have really no clue what to expect. But if you put me on the spot, I would say, I just assumed that these two are going to be found guilty, but could be totally wrong here.
Speaker 2: I'm just guessing.
Speaker 1: So I really, I guess nothing would ultimately shock me, because again, I think it's one thing too. This is something that you've heard before, but it's really I mean, I don't think it can be overstated. Context matters, right, How you say something matters a lot more than just what is set, and I feel like lawyers are great examples of that. So who knows, We're just again we're we're we're only hearing from from what those are sharing with us, and they're doing a good job of giving us specific details and quotes as far as what is said by the defense attorney here, But who knows, maybe he's saying in a way that has this jury just completely thinking, Well, you know what, I don't know if that's enough for me to say that, yes, I think that these two are guilty of what they're being charged with. So I uh, I'm I'm anxious to see how this plays out. But obviously, uh, the victim's family here, which again the victim has never been recovered, never been I know, there's no there's no body. But I'm sure they're hoping. I mean, in fact, we know they're hoping for a guilty verdict, and only time will tell if that's that's what ends up happening. All right, So TikTok is apparently creating a version of itself, but it'll only be available in America because of the current issue right now with it not you know that it's been extended, been kicked down the line many times by Trump, but but him being so confident about a buyer, maybe I guess that fell through, because again TikTok is now developing a new version of its platform that'll only be for US customers. By Dance is the Chinese parent company that for a while now it's been known that they've got to they got to find a way to divest its used operations to non Chinese owners in order to comply with the new federal law by this upcoming September, or they'll be banned now again.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't happen by September, I still feel like we'll see President Trump just delay once again. But didn't he just tell us a couple of weeks ago that he was very confident in a buyer that he had and that you know, but what I kept thinking of, Okay, yeah, that sounds great, But in order to make a transaction, you need a buyer and you need a seller. And there's never, at any point been any indication that TikTok Bye Dance.
Speaker 2: I guess is who we're talking about. They own TikTok. Why would they want to sell?
Speaker 1: This is a social media platform that is dominating in that space, and there seems to be no sign of that momentum stopping. So I think maybe that's just a rich person thing. Well they just assume, well, if I've got somebody with unlimited amount of money, then you'll sell. Well I don't think they will. It doesn't sound like they're they're gonna do that. All right, We've got Rory O'Neil coming up in about five minutes time and we'll get the latest on the tragic situation with the floods in Texas.
Speaker 2: Stick with us.
Speaker 1: It's Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty Whas.
Speaker 2: It is five forty five here Kentucky and.
Speaker 1: It's morning News on news radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, and I've got Rory on eil of NBC News with me. Rory, what can you tell us about the latest in regards to the tragic situation with the Texas floods. Sounds like there's many more deaths that have been reported since we discussed yesterday, and still some that they can't find.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sadly, the death toll has topped one hundred. One hundred and four now confirm fatalities across six counties. Most of the deaths are in Kerr County, Texas, eighty four of them there. That's where Camp Mystic was located, and that's where many of the missing are still associated with that camp. I think ten of children from that camp are still listed among the more than two dozen still considered missing. On the positive side, it looks like the weather is about to get better, you know, another rainy day yesterday, some scattered howers today, but after this we should start to see a lot more sunshine, drier conditions. Hopefully that swollen Guadalupe River will start to receive quickly.
Speaker 1: So is there any indication that they could have been notified the severity of this flood in a quicker manner? I mean, I know, it's unfortunately just where we are right now, where people want to weaponize this as you know, who could have done more Republican Democrat that kind of stuff. But just I don't know, if I mean to me, this is just an act of God and it's a tragic situation all the way around. But do we know as far as resources in that community, are they without some resources that maybe others have?
Speaker 4: Well, some other communities in Texas I have installed sirens to go along the river to alert in these kinds of situations. And we should note this is known as flash flood Alley. This is an area that has flash flooding frequently. Now not to the scale, of course, but this is a persistent problem. And you know nineteen eighty seven, July seventeenth, a similar flood in a similar area killed ten children from a camp. So this is not unheard of, and we've seen again deadly flooding I think every at least once a decade. So I think there are more questions being asked now. Obviously the scale of this is very different. But then saying, you know, do you rebuild camps? I notifications systems should we have and then taking a look at whether or not we pay attention to a lot of these alerts that we get to our phones that many people just ignore.
Speaker 1: Rory and Nail of NBC News our guest joining us here on news radio eight forty whas So the Prime days are here, Amazon Prime that is, and bargains. This is where you're supposed to be able to save money as a shopper. What kind of are we looking at? Legitimate deals here? Are gonna Are we gonna be able to see some real relief here as far as prices, because it seems as if everything is expensive right now and day Prime days, I should say, that's when folks feel like they're really getting a bargain.
Speaker 4: Well, right, just make sure you actually are getting a bargain. Remember, Amazon has a lot of third party sellers, people that are just they're contractors and they use the Amazon platform in order to sell their merchandise, and what we're seeing more and more those third party vendors have been jacking up their prices and then cutting them to make them appear artificially low for prime days. So just make sure, especially if it's something you're spending hundreds of dollars on that it says, oh, it's thirty percent off or forty percent off, make sure it really is forty percent off. So use some price tracking tools. There are Camel Camel, Camel Honey. You can go in there, put the Amazon item number into that website and it will show you the history of the price of that item. So a lot of places will jack up the price two months ago by one hundred percent and then lower it quote unquote fifty percent, and you think you're getting a deal, but you're really just paying the same price you would have paid a month ago.
Speaker 1: And it says here that about fifteen to thirty percent roughly are actually checking to see if what is being promoted as a sale is actually a sale, which really doesn't surprise me, so good info there, or they need to do their research to see if it's really a bargain or if they just have been have been manipulated to think that it's actually a bargain. Do we know any type of products that may be you know, I guess trendy type of items that could be big sellers on Prime days here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say also, you know, look to the seller. If it's Amazon that's selling it, you're pretty much going to be it's a better bet that it's actually a deal there. I mean, of course what we're already seeing though, for the items that are on sale. Electronics are are always popular, and we are seeing some solid deals there. There are a lot of websites that have advice and recommendations for some of the research they've done. Go to sites like why are Cutter? From the New York Times. They've done a deep dive into some of the bargains that are really out there today and tomorrow and the next day. It's the eighth through the eleventh.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 1: Rory is always appreciate the time and enjoy the rest of your day. We'll talk sooner, my friend.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Rory and Eale of NBC News.
Speaker 1: We've got Bobby Ellis with the latest on traffic coming your way. Also, we'll get Matt Melosovich's forecast from WLKY as We're getting this Tuesday started, and Scott Fitzgerald's got an update on sports coming up here in about four minutes, so stick with us. It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas