Speaker 1: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast from Wall Street to the White House. This is the Larry Gudlow Show.
Speaker 2: So we're going to talk about the economy, We're going to talk about the world, just about everything else with two dear friends, two brilliant people, and two mentors of mine down through the years, Doctor Arthur Laffer as chairman and chief Economists of Laffer Associates. He's recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. His latest book is The Trump Economic Miracle with Steve Moore, Steve Forbes chairman, and I'm going to say legendary chairman, editor in chief of Forbest Media, and his latest book is Inflation, What it is, Why It's bad, and how to fix a gentleman, you honor me, coming on. I can't thank you enough, Arthur, begin with you. The state of the American economy. Mister Trump said last night in South Carolina, a very interesting speech, by the way, given Republican candidates, they're talking points, but he said, We've never had an economy this good. I don't know if i'd say never, but I would say it looks like manufacturing, construction, employment, AI, productivity, profits, a big stock market. I mean it really. The liberal media will never credit him, but I think he's onto something because the economy seems to be booming.
Speaker 3: Arthur, Yeah, well, the stock market is terrific. I mean, it really is terrific. And the unemployment rate, which is a traditional measure, is also terrific. I mean, you know, it's surely not a bad economy at all, Larry. I mean, he's coming off a prior administration that had very high inflation at bad growth, that wasn't doing well, and he's put in all the right policies, and I couldn't be more optimistic about the economy than I am. I really think we're in good shape.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see the message Steve Forbes, as we have discussed for many, many weeks, a little more pro growth, a little more pro growth. You know, middle class people don't shouldn't and don't want to pay the Biden's inflation tax, So of course we'd like to index capital gains, maybe increase the exemptions. Your idea of going after the middle income brackets, I think is a fabulous idea. Lower those brackets, in fact, take out a couple of brackets would be terrific. Tax reform, lower rates, broaden the base. I'd love to see him, you know, I'd love to see the GOP develop a futuristic growth message.
Speaker 3: Well, that's absolutely critical because what people notice right now, given the environment we're in, the gas prices are jumping all over the place, healthcare premiums are going up, their announcements are going to be big increases next year. The mortgage rates are going up. So people are saying, well, things may be good, but it looks like there are a lot of bad things brewing out there. And I think the part of the problem is, and you've been hammering this for weeks and weeks, is that the GOP hasn't come up with a positive platform that has people looking to the future. And when you have something that looks to the future, it gives more authority when you say, look, we've done some good things here and point to that waitress who doesn't have to pay her rent anymore, in effect because of the taxes she saves not having to pay tax on tips and overtime and things like that, and then those old TV commercials at night and say, but wait, there's more. And so I don't care if Congress passes the Reconciliation, which I always think sounds like a marriage bill before the elections. The key thing is to put it out on the table and say, this is what will happen if we win these elections, and give something positive people can look forward to. And the nice thing about those brackets for a middle income people, that's twenty two and twenty four percent brackets, knock them down at fifteen or even ten. Go bold. Let the Democrats start complaining about the deficit. That's rich and and and say and then say, give people something to look forward to, and everyone will do the math very quickly. Hey, if these guys get in, we're going to have bigger paychecks. Even if our gross pay doesn't go up, our after tax pay is going to go up. That's great. Give him some to look forward to.
Speaker 2: You know, all right, in a great move what I'm going to call spiritual humility. Steve Forbes, in an important emails I think he said it on the air, has offered to let Trump instead of the Forbes flat tax he's offered. Steve has offered Trump flat tax. The present could take credit for the flat tax that Steve Forbes has fought for all these years and ran for president twice. And got a lot of votes when he ran. Now, how about that the Trump flat tax. You need to get on the full rate.
Speaker 3: Call it a beautiful Trump tax, the big beautiful Trump tax. Bells the huge, big, beautiful Trump. Yeah. And what we need to do is get the rate top rate down to I mean, you know this is across the board. Let's make it flat. Yeah, there's no reason why everyone shouldn't pay one rate across the board. And if we could get it down to where Reagan had it with that tremendous prosperity, well, we had two tax rates twenty percent and fifteen percent. That was it. Just get it back down to that or maybe even a little lower, and you'd have the prosperity that you wouldn't be able, you would. We'd all be getting so darn rich we couldn't stand it anymore. Richness.
Speaker 2: And of course after one of our TV shows, are these started crashing down that the life of curve doesn't work, that revenues will go down. The guy at Tim Noah from the New Republic said this, and now he's been slapping us down for years, but he wrote one of his great articles about how bad it is, and I want to make another point, right when you look at the numbers, This is from Grover and Request. I think when you look at the numbers, seventy four percent of the people who pay capital gains have incomes or combined incomes of less than two hundred grand, which really gets used to that indexing, and any reduction in cap gains tax rate or burden would be for the middle class. Three quarters of the payers are under two hundred grand.
Speaker 3: Even if it weren't that, Larry, it's just wrong to have people pay capital gains on just catching up with insulation. It's just not right. And the effective capital gains tax rate right now has risen frommatically since Biden was in office during and since Biden's been office because of the inflated asset values because of inflation. And you know, just offsetting that makes just all the common sense in the world. We've offset the income tax for inflation, We've offset the capital gains tax for inflation, we've offset depreciation for inflation. Now all we need to do is offset the capital gains for depreciation for inflation, and we'd be home free. And boy would we get revenues and we'd get growth. And that's what we really need.
Speaker 2: Is see the effective the real effective rate is fifty percent.
Speaker 3: On that specific asset. Yes, that is fifty percent on some assets. By the way, Larry, it's over one hundred percent, way over one hundred percent. You can pay taxes on capital gains and lose value in real terms. So that is just makes no sense. You know, the lower the return rate real return is on your assets, the higher your affection factories. They're going to be Steve Forbes and one one other thing on Arch point about a revenue. The purpose of government is not to collect revenue. The purpose of government is served with people. And if the government doesn't like the tax code, boo hoo, the key is going to make America more prosperous. I don't care about the government.
Speaker 2: Well, so think of this though. The government creates inflation, and then the government wants to benefit from the inflation that they created by milking people for tax revenues. I mean, there's something profoundly wrong in that.
Speaker 3: Looks like speed traps on the highway, except in the government on plates.
Speaker 2: Steve Forbes. Sadly before we break, Vice President Vance was at it again, and he said that dollar should not be the world's reserve currency because it makes it too easy for consumers to buy goods and services from abroad or from at home. I don't know which, but he basically started flirting with ending the dollar as the world's reserve currency. What to make of that one?
Speaker 3: It leaves me speechless, but I can since I'm on the air. But it goes right back to the nineteen seventies cardonomics remember that word, and so he wants to trash the American dollar. I'd hold up the Eagle and the American dollar and say VP Vance wants to trash it. We want to make dollars strong, not weak. We want to make America strong. Strong countries don't have weak currencies, period.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So economic historian Philip Magnus wasn't expecting to go viral last week. He's a University of Chicago. I think's good guy. He posted a twenty twenty three clip Vice President JD. Vance criticizing the US dollars status as the global world's reserve currency, and the thing went viral everywhere. Now, I don't know Advance has changed his view. That was from twenty twenty three, but he's been saying, you know, he took shots at Milton Friedman and Margaret Thatcher.
Speaker 3: And I think gatocracy, that's right.
Speaker 2: He took shots at meritocracy, which is almost the heart of Donald Trump's whole economic ideology. And I think he's one of the people that pushed for higher tax rates, at least upper end tax rate increases during the presidential campaign. And you have to go in and tutor him. You know, do you know him, do you talk to him?
Speaker 3: I've only shook his hand once, but I do try to send her the Vice President's office my right, but so far they haven't gotten through yet done the same thing. No, No, I haven't talked to him at all. You know, he's from my home state of Ohio. But you know, Larry, he's a young man, he's a yalely, he's educatable. I think we should balance up with JD. Vance and try to get to him and have him see the whole supply side picture. You know. Worrying about the dollar, Steve, you and I all worry about the dollar. We want to make it as good as gold. We want to make the dollar the sound currency of the world. I mean, government money is no good unless it's controlled completely by guaranteeing its value. And you know, I think that's one thing we should get across the vans, and I think he'd understand it. And I think he'll understand that Ohio has been going to the toilet because of its tax rates relative to its neighbors. So he sees all those things, and all we need to do is get together with him and do it quietly, in fun, and I think he'll see the truth beauty in the American way clearly.
Speaker 2: Steve Forbes, before we take a break, do you think Yale is educable?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm I'm, I'm I'm in a very Christian mode right now. So uh so, uh yes, I believe in tolerance and diversity. So we'll we'll we'll now, Larry, if I may have, before we go out, just remember your Princeton alma Mater was founded by yalely just remember that, guys.
Speaker 2: Is that true? What is important?
Speaker 3: That's the only reason worlds because we let you. Well, it shows Yale. Yeah, Yale picked early, It founded Princeton, and then uh I went down.
Speaker 2: There we go, all right, we're going to take a quick break. Here we're talking to two of the best of the best individuals and economic brilliance and all the rest of it Arthur Laugher and Steve Forbes. I'm Cudler.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more Larry Cudlow from Wall Street to the White House. This is the Larry Gudlow Show.
Speaker 2: And we're talking to two economic legends and dear friends and mentors of mine, doctor Arthur Laffer, chairman and chief Economists of laugh for Associates, and Steve Forbes, chairman and editor in chief of Forrest Media. Arthur Scott Bessant, who is a friend of ours and we have been backers of him. He announced a bond repurchase to bring down long term interest rates this past week. Initially bond yields fell, but then they didn't and they came back. In fact, we're up on the week. Is that the best way to get interest rates down, Arthur.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the best way is to get inflation under control. And once you get inflation under control, then you have lower interest rates, but they'll all be real returns on capital, which is what you want to be high. You want inflation premium to be very low. That's what you really want. Now when you look at what Scott Besson did, in my view, and I've known secretaries of the Treasury from George Humphrey on to the President. Literally, I mean I have I think he's about as good as a Treasury secretary as anyone's ever been, and that includes George Schultz was my mentor. I just think Scott Besson's the greatest thing ever. Just remember he works for the President of the United States, and as such he carry out the President's ideas and wishes. So I would argue that this is really a Trump administration, the Trump White House Plan, much more than it is separate, separately coming and originating in the Treasury. I just really think it's a Trump idea.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily, I think that's probably exactly right. President Trump always wants lower interest rates. Steve Forbes, you know, it seems to me if you aim for a strong dollar, strength that FEDS a balance sheet to moluntary base control, the money supply my sply is actually rising in about eight or nine percent right now. Anyway, those are things that would bring down inflation expectations and now would bring down long term interest rates.
Speaker 3: Yes, it would. And one of the things that I hope Kevin Warsh is he tries to battle that infernal institutioning now heads is to announce that our goal is a stable value for the dollar, and make it explicit. We don't want to weak a strong overly strong. We want a stable dollar. And one of the things when they interview to intervene in the markets that try to prop up the end, they should announce maybe a range. We want the end to be one fifty to one fifty five. Because one of the crazy things that the governments do is they go in buy their currency to prop it up and then in effect put the money back in to the economy. So they waste their reserves and the money supply, the base money supply doesn't change. It's like taking a bucket of water from one end of the pool and then pouring it in the other. It's a crazy exercise. And so one of the things I hope Pessant does in the future, because Japan is in trouble with its currency for a lot of reasons, is to have them do a real reduction of the monetary base and make it clear we want stability. Use that word. No central banker in the world ever uses the words currency stability. It's astonishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, ar the rise and rates, looking at the CPI break evens in the tips market. It's mostly the rise in real rates from a stronger economy, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think so, And that's what I really like in this world. I mean, well with Kevin Warsh as head of the FED, and absolutely what Steve Forbes said is right. I think. I think Kevin is very clear on his bit ability and wishes to really control inflation and to get it stabilized, in fact, not stabilize at two percent. I think he really wants a stable dollar going forward, and I think he's been about as clear as he possibly could be on that in the marketplace. It'll take him some time to get ready control over the FED board, but that will happen, and I think he'll be as good as FED chairman as Vulgar was. I'm just really excited about that.
Speaker 2: Steve Forbes is another issue. Scott Besson on Monday is going to announce even stronger economic sanctions on Iran. President Trump calls it economic d Day do Buy Good editorial in this morning to Wall Street Journal. The UAE and China are the two biggest issues. They're still trading with Iran, particularly the UAE, which is not subjected to the naval blockade. Now the UAE has come out with a statement saying they will cease any exchanges, trading or banking with you rad But this is it's a big gamble. I think it's though it's the right gamble. Steve Forbes, well.
Speaker 3: I think eventually you're going to see Iran say will negotiate, but unfortunately with this regime, they're going to stretch it out. They'll make an agreement violated. Remember we've had several cease fires since April. Ultimately, I think the president has to make the decision we have to go back and pick up where we left off in April with this regime, so they will look like they're capitulating, but they never will. They have to go period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's got to be at some point regime changes to make any changes, any fundamentals.
Speaker 3: How do you do that though, Larry, let me ask you that question. How do you guarantee that? I mean, do we put troops in the ground?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, Well how do we do it? How do we get a regime change?
Speaker 2: I mean really you have to think. You have to think about the Reagan policies going way back. You start with COVID operations, You put assistance money, maybe military maybe you know arms, you find the dissonance inside and you help them. You do it on me.
Speaker 3: Let me let me ask you. Let me push you a little bit on this if I can. With Reagan, I mean, Reagan was very good in the beginning. We got the hostages released when he took the oath of office, and that really saved it ran from an attack from the US. I believe. We also did Praying Mantis, which was there with the submarines and all that. But Reagan didn't go and finish the job that he should have done in the rock. You know we all do back then. It was a real problem.
Speaker 2: He wasn't good on you r we withdrew.
Speaker 3: But the key thing is there are plenty of dissidents still in the army, even though the Revolutionary Guard's trying to have purged them. And Ramosad and the CIA know who the good guys are. But what the good guys have to know is we're not going to pull the rug out from under them and then start negotiating with these evil people again. And these if people student's feel these evil people are going to have a chance to stay in power. They're not going to risk their lives and families unless they know we're in it all the way, and that's the key they do that. I mean, sorry, I'm sorry. Really good topic and I love listening to the two of you.
Speaker 2: Think what Reagan helped Lek Wallassa in Poland when he was a dissident and he was underground, he was fighting the Communist That's really the model here, and the MOSAD and the CIA know what they're doing. Anyway, we got to jump out. Thank you, gentlemen, Thank you very much. Art Laugher and Steve Ford's terrific stuff. Folks will take a break and talk on the economy. John Carney and Michael Falkender coming up.