Speaker 1: Hey, good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome, and it's time for the Green Country Gardner program now once again. That telephone line is open at one eight hundred and seven four nine five nine three six. Good morning to you all. I know that some of you have woken up to no power and they're working on it. In fact, we do have some reports of some down power lines here in the Bartlesville, Oklahoma area. We have a silver lake closed at Rice Creek to Georgetown. At Georgetown, I should say, because there is a power line down in the road at Georgetown. Seventy five mile per hour winds raced through parts of Kansas and Oklahoma this morning, and that was just a good morning, nurse. It was looking like a hurricane blowing that wind around. It was crazy, some mad Hey, that's quite a eighty is a hurricane.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't even think my old truck would go that fast.
Speaker 1: I think of the tail wind and with the miley you maybe so third class boy? In goodness sake, how is it to around your ranch?
Speaker 3: Well, at my house, I just had a broken tree branch and I'll address that, uh some point in time.
Speaker 1: Right now, that's very.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so I'll address that when I get home today. We have a good day at the nursery today, hope, Oh, yes, you do.
Speaker 1: You got it? You know, a rainy day in the garden, big day at the.
Speaker 3: Greenhow hopefully I haven't been to the nursery. I hope hopefully there's a roof still on the greenou Gary, I'll let you know. Well, the phone hasn't run yet, so he's good. But I did one of my guys go check it out and they we canceled the tree planning this morning for obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: But you might find another tree somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's schedule for next Wednesday.
Speaker 1: So it just kind of moved. But that's that's going on there at the Greenhoun.
Speaker 3: Hey. At the nursery today, we have a big day with the A s p c. A. Yeah, they're they're bringing some puppies out to be adopted and just just to kind of cuddle and whatever.
Speaker 2: And we have.
Speaker 3: Some plants on sale here and there too, yeah, just a few. Yeah, And there's a food trug going to be out there a few hundred calories with a few good stuff to eat. Oh yeah, and if you decide to adopt a pet. The nursery has covered the expense for the the adoption fee.
Speaker 1: Wow, we so that that's very generous of you.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, it's up we would like to do to promote animal whatever, well.
Speaker 1: Dogs the dog woods, we got it here. Oh that's great. Yeah, I understand. You can have somebody playing a little music out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a one of our employees has a daughter who likes to play country music. Were playing that too, that would be kind of fun it between rainstorms. Well, the greenhouse is hopefully is dry on the inside.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well you've got people checking that out. Yeah good.
Speaker 3: I remember one time it was in January. It was cold and it got really really windy, and it blew the greenhouse top off. It's a new one we put in, and uh, somebody purchased it wasn't made for somebody purchased the wrong gage of the polythylene and it wasn't held down very well. And we were up there in the wind trying to put that down, and I said, no, no, no, we got to stop this. We moved air all the inventory in the greenhouse back to other greenhouses which was unaffected sure, and was able to make all the stuffs survive and it was frozen and cold and.
Speaker 1: Rescue mission in the middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked it looked really bleaking there at that time. That's a long time ago to so anyway, so hopefully there's everything's okay out there. So we had a lot of plants that are sideways. I'm sure, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: And if you're worrying about pruning your fruit trees, mother nature might have done a little something for you.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of plums from a plum tree out of the yard right now.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I'm sorry. This is going to be a vintage here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Last year was I put on the jar just twenty four Oh but anyway, one of the plum trees is onnest way out. I'm gonna have to dig it up and plant a new one. I guess they just don't last forever. It's been there about eighteen years, so it's about time to replace it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, that's what's going on at the nursery. So come on out and check it out. Then I have a good time and pet the animals and perhaps pick up some flowers if they're not over in Ramona. Oh okay, And the fruit trees right now. You want to avoid systemics at this time. The kneem oil, it's really good for insects and funcus. Look for borer activity also, and scrape away the frash and dried sap. That way you can tell. You can apply spiners ad to the trunks. So there's a lot of things you can do with the fruit trees. The fruit is on the tree is getting ready to go. I know, I picked a few cherries the other day. They were delicious. So it's kind of a quiet time as far as sprague is concerned. But I kind of like to use the spinazad and the knem oil and stuff on the tree, and it seems to be very effective in controlling insects. Okay, And so yeah, you do want to avoid the systemics once again at the vegetable garden this week. Keep the soil loosened in light of the rain. It does have a tendency to compact the soil again.
Speaker 1: It does, so get out there and move that dirt.
Speaker 3: It's time of course, the plant warm season seeds and consider rotating what you planted last year. Gypsum prepared the soil and we talked about this in January. Gyp and if you forgot to do it, well, it's probably not too late, but anyway, it's better. It works a lot if it's in the ground a little bit rather than trying to make it do instantly. It doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't happen that way.
Speaker 3: Okay, where was a oh yeah, a special guard this week? Yes, magnesium sulfate. You might put a little bit of that around your tomatoes. That tend to like it real well. Potatoes should be about twelve to eighteen inches tall, almost time to dig them up. I like to use a fertilizer with the trace elements in it. They don't use the big old bag of stuff without knowing what's in it. Look at the back of the bag and you should have all these little symbols in the mg F E and some one iron and all that. You want those trace elements in there to help the plant out too, Okay, got it, So keep the soil loosen a little bit. And we do have a fertilizer for tomatoes and has a lot of those tracers in it too, so it makes a lot healthier tomato and a lot better tasting tomato plant too. On the lawn this week, it's time of fertilizer per mute and zoida. I like to add iron cell fate and you see that in a lot of fertilizers. They do put some iron and stuff in it and it does help darken the color and those trace elements are good for the plants too. Craggrass is up and coming, and something called queenchlorac or furlan weed out with crabgrass killer to control before they get too mature. If the crabgrass gets too well established, you can't control it.
Speaker 1: It just it owns you.
Speaker 3: It just kind of laughs at you when you did that. And I saw some crabgrass coming up, and I use some of that stuff on it and it's gone. And it selectively removes annual grasses without killing the bermuda grass. I think I'll over applied it a little bit, but if the bermutgrass is starting to recover. So I don't have a sprinkler system in my house, but I do have six inches of soil. So it makes it difficult to grow a really nice My neighbor a cross the street, he knows nothing about horticulture. He has the most beautiful on but that.
Speaker 1: The way it goes. But he has dirt got good dirt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has an irrigation system and we had to do some repairs on it. You dig all the way down to infinity and not hit any rock, so that makes a big difference. So if you're in the market to build a house and you do it in an area that is rocky, you might consider before you really get started on the landscape part of it, digging all that rock out, maybe bringing in some soil or something, just so you can have some nice stuff. I know that firsthand. Okay, So crabgrass once it's up. There are some posts emergent controls, MSMA works pretty well, and Queen Clarac and all that other stuff, but I don't like.
Speaker 1: To use a lot of those.
Speaker 3: I do tolerate a few weeds, a little bit of crabgrass here in there. You know the big I don't you know. I come home and look at it and go in the house and cook.
Speaker 1: You know, there you go really as you take a click and there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one day a week to maintain the garden. So crape myrtles right now. They're really growing grow rapidly right now at this point, so there'll be differentiating pretty soon. Differentiating means of the tip of the of the stem. As they grow, the leaves will look a little different. That means the length of day is shortening a little bit and they and they'll start to produce blooms. There are some we have some early blooming varieties in bloom right now at the nursery, so they can give you a little bit more time to have cr Yeah, and also look for crape myrtle scale. It's very very prevalent, and it's easy to see because the stems typically the stems on the on the crape myrtles somewhat tan colored, but if they're if they're exhibiting somewhat of a blackness, almost looks like it's spin on fire. That's the sign that you have scale. And the mold, which is the black stuff, is a mold actually in it and it forms from the sugars that the the the scale insects exude. It's an interesting symbiosis between uh scale insects and ants.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so look at your craig myrtle. Work carefully. If it just doesn't look healthy, look at the stem real carefully, and look for tiny little eggs stuck to the stem and those are the well they look like eggs, but those are the scale insects. And also on oak trees too, almost every oak tree. I go to everybody's house. So look, you got you have scale on your oak tree, and uh, they're real getting It's getting real bad on oak trees as well. So look at your oak tree up there, and if you see these little bumps on it, and it's very prevalental and say pinoaks and northern red oaks and whatnot, it basically all oaks that you got a problem with the scale and it drains the plant of it of its health and makes it weak, falls over in the storms.
Speaker 1: A lot of that going on exactly, So look out for that too.
Speaker 3: Is that with Craig Murlins on the shrubs, go ahead and continue to fertilize your shrubs. Look at your holly plants. Look at the size of the leaf that they're getting a little smaller than they used to be. That's a sign that the soil pH is too high. So once once again iron sulfate will help darkened color and alleviate that smallness of leaves. And also they get susceptible to a fungus disease. Uh, and they get black spots and yellow leaves, so.
Speaker 1: I gotta keep an eye out.
Speaker 3: This is Oklahoma. We have sedimentary soil and the phdins are in a little high little jes yeah, little yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, tell you what, Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 4: The employees United Rentals or local folk who work play, go to church and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power, which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment. You need to get your job done right, and with twenty four hours service, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five.
Speaker 5: United Rentals. Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 2: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 5: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 2: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 2: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 5: What's that number?
Speaker 7: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 7: That's nine one eight three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight three three five seven thousand.
Speaker 8: Shop Green Thumb Nurse here in Greenhouses this Saturday. The SPCA will be here for dogs adopting one day only twenty percent off everything. Ten percent of proceeds go to the SPCA. Want to adopt a dog Green Thumb, We'll pay the fee. They'll have a food truck and live blue grass music while you shop. Green Them has the largest selection of quality plants in the area.
Speaker 3: Annuals.
Speaker 8: Plants to feed your butterflies, trees and shrubs open Monday through Saturday, nine to five, new to four Sunday. Green thunders Via and greenhouses on the What a road.
Speaker 9: Are you putting your family's financial future at risk by not having enough life insurance? David Woods, president of the Life Foundation.
Speaker 3: The consequences can be devastating if you don't have life insurance. Life insurance isn't a luxury, It's a necessity for sound financial planning.
Speaker 9: A message from the nonprofit Life Foundation.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program. It's eight twenty three sixty three degrees. It's hoping your power has returned to those who are affected by the storms. Early early this morning. Our toll free number is wide open one eight hundred seven three six. I know a lot of people want to we're thinking about trying to get out and about. We got to go pick up a satellite dish in our parking lot here in a little bit. Uh yeah, you kind of went in here. Oh my yeah?
Speaker 3: Is that that big? When that that front?
Speaker 1: The one little smaller one but smaller. The wind got it and you might have some down trees or limbs in your area. I believe there's.
Speaker 3: More precipitation on the way. Isn't there all.
Speaker 1: The way up until Monday night break? Your flood watch fourty six inches possible throughout this period.
Speaker 3: We registered a half inch in our rank age. You did, okay, just in that short period of time.
Speaker 1: How'd you ring gage get? It is going sideways?
Speaker 3: I have it on the patio.
Speaker 1: I have it.
Speaker 3: There's a big rock, and I have some angle irons anchored to that big rock, and then a two by four coming up holding this ring gage.
Speaker 1: You don't believe in you sturdiness at all.
Speaker 7: Not at all.
Speaker 3: It's kind of overdone. But but it's still there.
Speaker 1: It's there, and it's accurate.
Speaker 3: It does exactly so so you have to kind of plan for these. My god golly so trees. Also trying to trend back the dog woods if you need to. Right now it's time for fertilizing trees, maybe the last pertilization for the year. Uh, good time to plant new ones.
Speaker 1: Especially if you lost some old ones over the.
Speaker 2: Ground.
Speaker 3: So what we just throw it off the back of the truck and it just dumped into the clay. You know, the look good. Also when picking out a tree, I say this over and over again, noted utilities and drainage patterns too. Don't don't planet tree in a drainage pattern because the root masks will swell the soil up and then you'll have to open the front and the back door of the garage in order to get the rain out of your backyard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I actually have seen people where they have to do that.
Speaker 1: I bet you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have actually, Yeah.
Speaker 1: People, little space, little space.
Speaker 3: Don't planet tree in the in the in the flood, it'd be a good time to see how your water drains in the yards, you know where not the plant tree.
Speaker 1: Just a little observation of way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so we have some pretty good trees to plant right now. I hope I've been to the nursery this morning. They might they might be in the turley or maybe ocean aid perhaps I don't know, but anyway, there we'll find out prey soon. But anyway, just time to apply systemics for lacebugs on your azalias. Lacebugs are a real problem with azelias. Look under the leaf and if you see these little brown spots under there, chances are those or lace lace wings.
Speaker 1: How do we get how do we get rid of they?
Speaker 3: Systemic can suck Society will do that. The medicalopri will work on that too, so we'll be pretty good for that. Spider mite, sir, will become a problem pretty soon. They do like the hot weather. Get in your box woods and your boxwoods too. And I was meeting with a customer yesterday. She said, oh, I don't like the old smell. And I said, well, I don't have a problem in my house because I use soapy water on them and spray them down with that and let it sit for an hour and then rense it off and they do. Fun don't have a problem with them, so oh okay. Well, we do have other plants besides boxwoods that kind of do the same thing. They don't have that problem. So if you do want a boxwood, I like to plant them on the east side of the house made the north side. I have someone on the west side of my house. But also have a was in spray with some dish. Open it anyway. But if you do that, make sure I've run. I did this one time with my gorge. I had aphins on them and I forgot to rinse it off and all the leaves and it went to shrivel up. But they still has some big gourds. I grew some last year.
Speaker 1: There's there's a big, big industrial drum size.
Speaker 3: I know, it's as big as as somebody's Torso these huge gorge only I only got about four of them.
Speaker 1: You're hold your arms. That's bigger than me, you know, and I'm kind of sizeable.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well yeah.
Speaker 1: Somebody once told me I was buoyant and said.
Speaker 3: Alicia float I always had the sinking problem when I'm in the water to the ground. Anyway, I have those, and I grew last year some different gords too. They're really cool. I used them to spread bird seed around the patio. Cut them in half, and I might bring somebody the nursing lits people take them if they want. I don't know, so anyway, landscaping, get a landscape plan. I've got several of them on the on the deal. You've seen some I've showed them to you. And if there's something you like somebody's landscape, just tell me where it is and I can identify the plants easily, and perhaps we can utilize some of those plants on your landscape plan. I met with a customer yesterday and showed her. She was really kind of surprised because, oh, that's my house. Well you know, well, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: What we're working on, is landscaping.
Speaker 3: For your your house. Yeah. And actually a customer brought in an AI program. Yeah, they got when you get your phone, take a picture of what you want landscape, and it comes back. It takes into account your longitude and latitude and all that. And I said, well, some of these won't work, some of them will. You know, it's not not quite there yet.
Speaker 1: No, No, they're still teaching AI. That's still very artificial.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you want an artificial landscape, I need to download that app and try it out, just see what see what it does.
Speaker 1: Be kind of fun. Let the doctor see what it does.
Speaker 3: So so anyway, and of course I use a CAD program and it's kind of easy to change. And sometimes somebody might want something different. I shipped out something yesterday, all these pictures with different schemes. It's different appearances because the house is styled kind of contemporary, if you will, and it's very square and someone almost oriental like. So I gave him several choices of appearance in the landscape. Do you want a curbed beds? You want square beds? What when they designed the house or when they bought the design of the house, what were they looking for? Uh, as far as structure, the house is concerned. And do we need to continue that theme outwards on the landscape or do we want to disguise it or we want to compliment the whole idea of a landscape. It's it's a compliment the landscape to the house too. So we gave them some choices in they're moulling it over right now.
Speaker 1: That's got to be kind of fun. I mean, I mean, you've been at it for more than a minute. Yeah, you know what works. You know it doesn't work, sure, but by God, like you know, every house is different, right, so it's not going to be a cookie cutter. Every every one of these projects is going to be tanner made.
Speaker 3: For this one faces west and it's in an area where there's a lot of rock, so an irrigation system is probably in the work too. But still, you gotta you gotta consider all that stuff on the west side of it's kind of hot. Here we go again. Anyway, it's not gonna do that look too bad.
Speaker 1: We were taking a look, we were taking a look at a radar suite. No, here we go.
Speaker 3: It's all I know is arc, you know. So anyway, you take all that into account when you did soil type and exposure architecture of the house too. If it has a very and one I did had a kind of a nondescript you know, there was really was no style. So I did the landscape in a configuration that actually created a sense of style on a very bland house. So we'll see how that goes. Very good, But this other house is very stylized, but the landscape needs to complement it or follow through with it. You know what I mean, because you don't really have to emphasize the house. So all these factors you've got to do in and I don't think AI will do that. So, uh, well, that comes to irrigation systems and you want to make sure that they're engineered properly. You want to inventory the available water pressure, et cetera. So we runt that problem out east of town on one and with fifty pounds of water pressure and then then it registered forty pounds and hey, and then so we're going to the customers. It's going to put a booster pump in so we can at least get the thing to cover. So there's the water pressure. Apparently it's not available in that area. So that's the remedy. I mean, I recalibrated the whole thing and it works pretty good. But there's sometimes when there just simply isn't enough pressure.
Speaker 1: Enough pressure.
Speaker 3: Now you're pulling about eight gallons a minute and you still don't get any performance.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, that's stressed.
Speaker 3: And it turns on the faucet in the house and well, whenever you can get round and round to it, can you come on out of there. So that's a little bit of a problem. So we're working on that and resolving at that. And we have an internet based timer. It's his telephone perfect with it, and he wanted me to go in with it on it so I could control the two would not work. I really think it's settings for his home internet. Really won't let me get through to it.
Speaker 1: Oh a little firewall.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a firewall thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so he's getting very astute at running the system, and uh, there you can run it manually as well. It's just you do a lot of running around trying.
Speaker 1: To shoven Martha, try to to that, got me right?
Speaker 3: Ye? But I did give him a zone map. Good that the areas correspond with the numbers on the timer. So okay, yeah that ares water. I look on the map. Okay, you get on the phone through it, there it goes. So that's pretty cool. So anyway, if you do get a sprinter system done, no matter who does it, you want to make sure you get his zone map.
Speaker 1: You need that.
Speaker 3: It saves a lot of steps cause you say, well, my backyard's a little bit dry. Well is it one? Two or three or six?
Speaker 1: Got me? I remember which.
Speaker 3: One it is? And you can do that yourself.
Speaker 1: You can take your process of elimination.
Speaker 3: You can take your sprinkler system and turn on station number one to get a make a drawing of the yard, pencil in area where number one is and put it up by the timer. So easy that way, maybel it's the backyard. I don't remember what number that one is, you know that kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: No, but we got the mailman coming up the lane.
Speaker 3: Get them.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break.
Speaker 3: It helps to knowwhere where they are, especially if you've got twelve circuits. That makes it easier.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. All right, well, it's a time now to take a little bit of a break and we will be right back after these words.
Speaker 4: It's the forty first OKM Music Festival June sixth through the eighth. The twenty twenty five OKM Music Festival lineup features musicians who are world class main stage artist musical concerts Grady Nichols and the Manhattan Chamber Players at Woollra, Candlelight Concert at Kasha Hall featuring the Tulsa Honors Baroque Orchestra Natasha Peremski, and the Grand Finale at the Refinery in Bartlesville featuring d Esher quartet. Kids will love the Just for Kids series, and there's so many more fun events. For more information about the events, dates and times and pricing, go to OKM Music dot org for the twenty twenty five OKM Music Festival OKM Music dot Org.
Speaker 10: I was under me, have did some stupid things, how committed some crimes, even got shot.
Speaker 1: But I'm not a criminal, that's right.
Speaker 3: I'm Jamal.
Speaker 11: I'll work for you to advocate programs. Yet I was Tomani's advocate, help him stay out of jail, stay in the neighborhoo to get a job, and work hard to see a better future for himself. If you have a change of mindset, you can have a change of action.
Speaker 8: As a little kid, I experienced trauma and I acted out, made some mistakes, But I'm not a mistake.
Speaker 9: No, She's a good student and a great kid.
Speaker 1: As Jalens yeah advocate.
Speaker 12: I'm always here for her. With the Youth Advocate programs I was able to connect with Jalen. YEP is a community based alternative to youth incarceration, congregate placement, and neighborhood violence. After completing our program, eighty six percent of participants where arrest free.
Speaker 10: YAP works and now I mean YEP advocate helping kids like me find it.
Speaker 12: By the way youth advocate programs, others talk social change, we make it happen.
Speaker 9: Learn how at yapinc Dot org.
Speaker 13: Been out the parent.
Speaker 1: All right, and welcome back to the Green Country Gardener program. It is eight thirty six and sixty four degrees. I'm starting to see a little lightness in the sky instead of lightning.
Speaker 3: Now I think we're going to have a brief party of here of the oh yeah, the era of the irrigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of the right. Yeah, So the kids can go to the carnival, do your graduation stuff, and then let the rain afterwards. Here our phone line is open and you can call us up in one eight hundred seven three six.
Speaker 3: Yes, and once again back to sprinter systems. Yes, they need They can be very efficient, but they can be very inefficient too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if they're running willet wall is raining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but rain gages help. They have these our rain sensors that are wireless. We put them in all of ours or wireless rain sensor and some of the newer timers also account for the weather. So I have one of those in my garage. And when you drive in there's this light on the blinks and it's green, it turns yellow or then like this morning, it was redt.
Speaker 1: You're so.
Speaker 3: So they're called the smart smart timers, and it's still a good idea to go ahead and put a rain sensor in along with them. And they do have ports for those in their circuitry to account for a rain sensor too, and a temperature sensor as well. But they're getting they're any kind of smart with these things. It can adjust the amount of water it gets based on the irrigation and your soil type. You have to enter all this data in the soil type.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Are you growing grass, a, you're growing shrubs? What kind of a slope do you have? And all this other stuff. Does he get a lot of sun? Or what's the drainage like? And then once you get all that criteria in there, it has ai.
Speaker 1: Put it into the old computer to see what.
Speaker 3: Had that will turnout? And then it takes data from the data.
Speaker 1: Data is on Star Trek.
Speaker 3: From the from the Weather Service and plugs that into the too that and it since there and thinks a minute and says, well, you're not going to get water today. It also really I might at home. I got a demo from the supplier. It it this windy, so we're not going to water.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well you just just go all over the place where you.
Speaker 3: Want water the neighbors yards send them a bill. Sure, so yeah, it accounts for that as well. So they're getting smart with these things. And you really have to because golly, look what happened a year before last with the reservoir. Yeah, you really got to be smart with this stuff. And I still see even this morning people out water in the yards in the rain, and you know, come on. And actually, the the smart timers again less expensive too. They're becoming more prevalent and more of a almost a standard.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 3: I don't know if if any place is made a cold requirement or not, but it read of death.
Speaker 1: I'll ever do that.
Speaker 3: But at least a rain sensor to shut the thing off when it when it does rain. We'll save you some money and save us some water too, Kelly. When he gets a really really dry in the summer, we're going to need you know that water too, So let's try not to use it all up on grass that's already wet.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Also, another thing to consider is lighting on the outside, and I like to use LED lights. Halogen lights are kind of kind of pass a. I don't know if you'd buy out or lighting with LED.
Speaker 1: You remember when halogen was like the big thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, this world's white hot light in there. So they're available in the copper brows. So then when I'm stayingless steel and so on, and really I like to use the either or one that has all the same metal on it. The reason for that is galvanic corrosion. So you don't and that's a real thing, folks. Yeah, if you have an aluminum one with a brass screw or a yeah, it'll just corrode. Don't don't. Don't fall for an aluminum lightning picture. It's stainless steel or brass aluminum just that or somebody somebody even iron heel steel over the last few years and I've tried them all, so now we get the we use old brass ones. These things are heavy, I mean the way well they're brass, yeah, and heavy too their machine Actually there's no problems. They just they're not going to go anywhere and that and they're assembled with they kind of pop together if you will with an over ring, so there's no screws holding it together, so you don't have that. And when you come on the outside, it's the metal attachment on it and it has a plastic thing with a stainless screw in it, so there's no way to rush. Yeah, I won't rust so and they just last forever. They cost more. They're like sixty dollars apiece.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but you take a look at all the time you're replacing the you.
Speaker 3: Buy a cheap one for thirty dollars, now you know, and then it goes coup put. Five years later you buy another one that's forty dollars, and then see you buy the same thing and then four years later it's sixty dollars. So you spent one hundred and twenty dollars on something which you initially would have only spent, you know, sixty.
Speaker 1: Dollars forty dollars for take the long range play exactly. I think long You said it, and I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, when you're doing a lighting you say, well, i've got ten light pictures, there are four wats apiece. I need a forty watt timer. No, you need an you need to double the average.
Speaker 1: Because you go in places.
Speaker 3: Well you could add onto it also and it doesn't have to work as hard and then lasts longer. Yeah, and don't don't put them out in the rain, and try not to put them inside the garage because it can overheat. If it shorts out, it can cause some problems. Yeah fire, yeah, so yeah. Really in my house, I have about two hundred watch of lights. I have a six hundred WAT transformer and it just runs as cool as a cucumber. It does never And we did that on a landscape plan. We have all these lights on there and we over overkilled the transformer. No problems. So you have to take take a ivice from an electrician. You always want to overdesign it.
Speaker 1: A little bit, just a little bit for your own protect.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing with sprinker systems. If you're pulling, you know, fifteen gallons a minute, you need a one inch pipe at least. So that's kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Got to do the math, do the math right.
Speaker 3: How to save water in the landscape, Well, we talked about the microsystem. That's the one way. Not but a good deep soil preparation. When we do our landscapes, we go down fairly deep in the soil and get it all turned up and put some composts in it. And what that does is it helps loose the soil so the water winter does come in goes down in through it easily. Our soil here is naturally just kind of heavy and when it rains, it kind of runs off. If you have a bed or something that will actually absorb the water, then it can store it deep in the lower clay layers and make it come up.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: So it's a flywheel of that kind of thing. If you have a heavy soils, it doesn't get in very deep. It all runs off and you have less less of a battery of water in there. So you do want to.
Speaker 1: Do maximize your potential.
Speaker 3: You do want to do and it's some backwork. Been doing backwork for forty years. Hasn't hurt me.
Speaker 1: At all, No, it has and say that pinacle of fitness, thank you.
Speaker 3: So'll you want to make sure to get some good deep soil prep so it will act as a battery to hold water. And to do that you add organic materials such as pete moser compost which also helps store water too, and it's good aeration for the plants too to do better.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be back after this two minute timeout.
Speaker 8: Shop Green Thumb Nurse here in greenhouses this Saturday the SPCA. We'll be here for dogs adopting one day only twenty percent off everything. Ten percent of proceeds go to the SPCA.
Speaker 5: Want to adopt a dog.
Speaker 3: Green Thumb, We'll pay the fees.
Speaker 8: They'll have a food truck and live bluegrass music while you shop. Green Them has the larger selection of quality plants in the area. Annuals. Plants to feed your butterflies, Trees and trucks open Monday through Saturday night five new to four Sunday. Green Thunders be and greenhouses on the Water Road.
Speaker 5: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 2: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 5: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 2: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 2: Well, you better call Kelly's Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 5: What's that number.
Speaker 7: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stomp grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 7: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three.
Speaker 2: Five seven thousand.
Speaker 14: Radiology exams often cause many people fear and anxiety. Trusted, easy to understand information about ct MRI and X ray exams can help ease that anxiety. Visit radiologyinfo dot org. You'll find reliable, up to date information on more than two hundred and thirty five radiology procedure exam and disease descriptions. Radiologyinfo dot org offers patient safety information, medical images, and screening and wellness information. You'll also find videos featuring radiologists describing what to expect and how to prepare. The site is totally free, doesn't require registration, and is available in English and Spanish. Best of all, radiologyinfo dot org is continually reviewed by medical experts to ensure that it is accurate, end.
Speaker 1: Up to date.
Speaker 15: Get the information you need by visiting radiologyinfo dot org. Produced by the Radiological Society of North America and the American College of Radiology.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, it's eight forty seven sixty for degrees and our phone line is open here for the Green Country. In the program, you can talk to our expert Learry Glass and one eight hundred and seven nine five ninety three six Lawrence On's on the adrenal.
Speaker 3: Let's talk a little bit about Japanese maple.
Speaker 1: Let's do that. We haven't done that all day.
Speaker 3: The Japanese maple is a really treasure and it can be a real treasure in the landscape. I have one in my backyard. I had to relocate it like four different times.
Speaker 1: You pickies side of a gun art well to account.
Speaker 3: For the changes. I did one thing, and well water got in my house. I to do another, move it over there temporarily, and then I planted oak trees.
Speaker 1: Well, it could be perfect over there.
Speaker 3: Then the oak trees died in the freeze. So those remove and the tree is there and doing very well.
Speaker 1: Actually, well you must be doing pretty well. You didn't want to go anywhere going, dude, I'm putting down my roots. I'm staying here.
Speaker 3: So anyway, they get the blood good, that's one most people want. Just got the red red leaves on it. Yeah, it grows about twenty by twenty feet. Oh so it gets to be big. Oo, So you plan it away from the house.
Speaker 1: Do not plant that thing right up by the side of the house.
Speaker 3: I see so many of them that are growing up and around the eave of the house and go back, continue back up. If you want a smaller tree there, there's an acer palmatum dissect them, which is a smaller one good and you only get about so tall it does six feet taller, and it'll do a lot better as a ornamental tree in the landscape if you really want to do that. It needs to be ten feet away from the house. Now, when your planet, it's going to look like initially it's gonna look like, well, the trees out in the middle of the front yard. It's making any sense, Yeah, But before you know it, though, it'll be something under which you can walk and really enjoy it and create a nice space between. It was a couple of years ago, so so keep in mind how big these trees are going to do. There's some smaller ones too. We have them once to get like so taller. I don't remember the name of them, but they're really smaller growing trees too. But anyway, so the Japanese maple is uh. It's grown for its red to purple foliage and it's growth habit. It's not a straight growing tree. Yeah, people coming to I want one with a straight trunk. Well, they don't come that way.
Speaker 1: They have a character. No, they don't grow straight.
Speaker 3: So you want to pick one out that's crooked. And actually, from my standpoint, from a static standpoint, the one that's the most crooked is going to the best is going to be the best looking one.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got one that you can say that that's so because that you had fun with that one. It was growing, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's dode fine. It's been in there for twenty forty years. Yeah, it's been there quite some time. So they prefer well drained soil and plenty of more. So what this is is in an area where it's built up. Actually, there's all the turd. I had to move away from the house. I put it over there and make kind of a little bit of a hill in the landscape and then it's up on there and it's it's really enjoying bird.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, even in the full sun, it's doing quite well. It does grow best in moist, well drained, fertile soil, so it's a wonder it'll do well here at all. We don't have any of.
Speaker 1: That, No, none of that business.
Speaker 3: You want to fertilize in the early spring, we'll say sixteen eighty eight, to use some moorganize or something. And when you do that, keep in mind it is a maple tree and they're kind of shallow rooted and it's very easy to burn the roots with too much fertilizer. So a little bit at a time, a little bit at.
Speaker 1: A time, give it some snacks.
Speaker 3: I don't really want to culture shock this plant because it can cause some collapse as stem and stuff like that if you change it too drastically. So a mid organite works very well, or organic type fertilizer works fine, but don't overdo it. Don't try to fertilize all that at once. A little bit at a time, turn on the sprinkers, get out your phone, turn your shrinkers on, pay attention, and then later on watered again. So but just a light fertilization really okay. It does happen tendency to leave out really early, which kind of unfortunately makes them susceptible to spring crosts. They just can't wait to leave out. They're one of the first ones to come out, and a lot of times we'll have a frost or something and it'll it'll damage to leave somewhat and cause some appearance problems throughout the throughout the summer. So typically that happens when it gets a lot of same morning sun or something. This year though, they came out early, but we didn't really have any super cold and the Japanese mample it's really putting on a really big, really big shoe right now. So anyway, so they're really really attractive once you get established, are very easy to grow. The one thing you have to watch out for they do get bagworms. It's kind of hard to see, but they will get them. It's not that serious on them, but you get a few up here and there. But the biggest problem we have is Japanese maples or bores, the boring insects. They go underneath the bark and they attack the floam layer. The flow layer is a little thin layer just outside the xylum or the wood and just inside the bark where the carbohydrates from the leaves, leaves manufactured carbohydrates, and they go down through that and it's store it in the roots.
Speaker 1: And they like those boards.
Speaker 3: Loved all that sugary stuff coming down to those veins. So you want so, there are some ways to control that. They systemic insecticides, admit Cloper. It works very well to control them. It's a simple thing to do and keep them from getting those bores. Typically the boars go in the tree on the southwest side of the tree. If it does get some sunshine. That's where they prevail for the most part. If it is in the shade, it'll get it at any position, but typically if one just gets the sun it will the bores will go in that area.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 3: I mentioned this several times, and I ran into that this last week. Somebody's having trouble with the tree and I looked at the southwest side. Of course, they're all the barbars torn off of It's easy diagnosed. Yes, So you prune the Japanese maples in late fall or winter while they're dormant, removing any dead or damage branches. They adapt well to pruning and are easily thinned and sculpted to accentuate their graceful shape. Japanese maples can be easily transplanted, even larger one. I've moved these in July before. I bet you have, so they and it survived. It always sat there and cried whined a little bit for a while, but it took root, it took root again, and it did just fine. So they're fairly easy to move around. So Japanese maple a heavy consideration in the landscape. Make sure it's well drained, make sure it's eight to ten feet away from the house, you know, and make sure it doesn't get a lot of really hot sun.
Speaker 1: Are these expensive trees? Mid range? What are they? Oh?
Speaker 3: They started about one hundred dollars and we got some I think first six.
Speaker 1: That's pretty usual on the pocketbook for a nice treat that's gonna last long.
Speaker 3: They taking you up to three hundred dollars, depending on how big one you want to get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just kind of you know, Yeah, I want to get folks a little range. So cool, all right, tell you what, we got to take a break care. This is a big one. We'll be back in three minutes, in thirty seconds.
Speaker 16: And Saint John Cardiology is a leader in hardcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings, Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org slash st John Hart.
Speaker 5: Jane Phillips, and bartlesvill Oh.
Speaker 17: From the time Frank Phillips completed his magnificent Lodge home at Woolla Rock in nineteen twenty five until Jane's death in nineteen forty eight, they entertained the rich and the famous from all over the world. Their guests included wealthy business legends such as John D. Rockefeller and Henry Sinclair, politicians such as President Harry Truman and President Herbert Hoover, entertainers Rudy Valley, Will Rogers and Rubinoff, famous authors such as Edna Ferber, Pilot Wiley Post, Elliott Roosevelt, son of President Roosevelt. The list goes on and on. As we look back on the parties and the stories and the deals that were being done at the lodge, we realized that it truly was the Great Gatsby of the Midwest. To most of Frank's guests who were visiting from the East or West coast, and many times from Europe. They were truly seeing a glimpse of the wild West that they had heard so much about, while in fact that era was long over by then. Frank Phillips loved the history and wanted to do everything he could to make sure that his guests received there's money's worth during their visit to his lodge and to Wollarock. With that in mind, it was not unusual for a car load of his guests to arrive at the gates of Woolarock and their large black sedans and be stopped by masked bandits on horseback, taken from their cars and robbed of their wallets, jewelry, and purses, and then sent on their.
Speaker 3: Way by the thieves.
Speaker 17: What those guests didn't realize is that these were employees of Franks, who hurried back to the lodge on horseback, arriving well ahead of the cars. When the guests arrived at the lodge and burst into the house telling their wild and terrifying story to Frank, he would smile and point to the table in the living room where the stolen loot was on display, compliments of Uncle Frank. Once their blood pressure had returned to normal, they too enjoyed Frank's welcome to the Ranch joke. They came to see the wild West, and Frank Phillips obliged in true Oklahoma fashion, and they left Woollarock with stories that likely got bigger and bigger and bigger over the years. That same magic continues still today at this national treasure. Welcome home to Wallarock.
Speaker 13: It's Cabota Orange Days from America's number one selling compactractor to zero turnovers in the versatile rtvs.
Speaker 3: Get your perfect match.
Speaker 13: Delivered to your door like the L thirty three oh two tractor that will make your property dreams a reality. Hi Mike Maddox from Romans Outdoor Power now through June thirtieth, twenty twenty five gets zero down zero percent APR for eighty four minutes or up to three thousand dollars off select compactractor. See the details at Cabotaporrange Days dot com see US or go to Cabota USA dot com for full disclaimer.
Speaker 1: Romans Outdoor Power, You're.
Speaker 13: Cabota Dealer Highway seventy five, Partlesville Independence our online at Okikbota dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, it's the Greek Country Gardener program. We just got a minute left, Larry, So what have we got going on there? Hey, that's the nursery.
Speaker 3: We have the SVCA out there, and you have opportunity to adopt a dog. Really and the nursery will pay for that for that, for the adoption figure. Come check it out. We got a food truck, can we got stuff on sale. So here we go. Here they come the syreene. So it's an ambulance. Hope nobody's hurt anyway. Come by and check out that. We all have all kinds of flowers and trees and shrubs and things for you to look at and to purchase.
Speaker 1: And you remember where.
Speaker 3: We are, of course, on the south side of No Water Road, halfway between Madison Boulevard and Washington Boulevard, on the south side.
Speaker 1: Of the road.
Speaker 3: Easy to find, folks, Yeah, easy to find. So come on check it out. We had all kinds of cool plants, big old pots, big old rocks, so we delivered a big old rock yesterday. Let's keep your shovel sharp, Tom, We will see you next week. Residential and commercial plumbing call Mason's Plumbing.
Speaker 2: We're serving you with their priority.
Speaker 1: KWN Bartlesville, K two twenty seven c Q Bartlesville K two thirty six c T Pahusca