Speaker 1: On at one twenty eight. The Pike East ramp to four ninety five is closed. Pike East and West ramps to Route nine also closed. We have delays in Auburn two ninety westbound work by the Pike four ninety five south that the speed limit getting by a work zone in Boxborough at Root one eleven, and then there's a crash in a work zone heavy by two ninety that closes the ramp two two ninety. This report is sponsored by unbound dot org. Right now, there are young people across the world facing a tough choice continue their dream of education or drop out to help their family put food on the table. You can help change their future in a single moment. See how far your support can go at unbound dot org. Steve Perez WBZ twenty four hour Traffic Network.
Speaker 2: If you're replacing your windows, call eight hundred sixty four nine thirty six hundred, eight hundred sixty four nine thirty six hundred a better quality window professionally installed for the right price.
Speaker 3: Right window.
Speaker 4: And here's Brian Thompson with the forecast.
Speaker 5: Mainly cloudy Ford tonight with a bit of rain later on a load tonight around fifty six it's going to be a much cooler day tomorrow, after temperatures have gotten into the seventies the past couple of days. I have just sixty two tomorrow with clouds and intermittent rain and drizzle, which will take for to just a shower by the afternoon, and just a stray shower for Tomorrow night with a good deal of clouds of fifty six. Friday, a warmer day with clouds and some sunshine. There will be another shower. It's two around to hive seventy three. Now a steadier rain will develop later Friday nights that will linger into Saturday morning and then just the leftover shower. It's who by Saturday afternoon with perhaps you've been a couple of breaks of sunshine Saturday sign sixty six. I'm accurate with the bead realogist Brian Thompson WBZ, Boston's News Radio. Hither this is Jordan rich Am I going to be okay? That's a question in the minds of many when it comes to retirement. Every day south Shore Retirement Services helps people design their ideal retirement plans that can help you sleep better at night. They're trademarked All Hands Analysis projects can help you create stratug jeez to help make sure your income will last as long as you need it. No one should have to focus on worrying about money in retirement. South Shore Retirement Services can guide you through investments, wealth management, all important tax planning, healthcare and legacy planning. The full slate of retirement services available to you with one team. Retirement is one of life's major milestones. Don't go it alone.
Speaker 6: Find out more, set up a complementary introductory call or visit the south Shore Retirement Services office in Hingle calls seven eight one seven two five five five five seven. That's seven eight one seven two five five five five seven, or visit Retiresouthshore dot com.
Speaker 5: From offers insurance services, investment advisory products and services made available through AE Wealth Management LLC, a registered investment advisor.
Speaker 4: In sports, the Oklahoma City Thunder advance to the NBA Finals OKC one Game five of the Western Conference Finals against the Timberwolves tonight one twenty four to ninety four. They'll play the winner of the Nixon Pacers Series. In the NHL, the Florida Panthers are heading back to the Stanley Cup Final for the third straight season. The Panthers eliminated the Hurricanes tonight, five to three in Game five of that series, and the Red Sox lost to the Brewers six to five in ten innings. Today, sixty degrees in Boston at eleven oh eight. Let's get back to night's side. Gary Tangley is in for Dan on Dan Watkins WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 7: It's night time with Dan Ray. I'm ez Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 8: Daylon brown Back had lost to Paul Annoby all by himself, brows it down and Tittum is heart. Tartum is down. He wants a time out. Tatum is so much pain. I'm a Celtics pull time out, grabbing that right ankle and that's the final time out. Well the Boston Celtics, but more importantly, Tatum really shake it up.
Speaker 3: And that is the season for Jason Tatum, and was the season for the Boston Celtics. And cheer is going to be eh. Jackson tellivers with.
Speaker 9: Us, Well, first of all, you you never told me you were going to play that, Gary, so now I'm already emotionally triggered off off the top.
Speaker 3: No, you're emotionally triggered, period. You don't need that. You're a little off. That's why I like you well. When but I want to I want to start at the beginning of the series before we but before we get to that, the first two games, when the Celtics were playing the Knicks and they had leads of twenty points and they blew them both. What was going through your mind then?
Speaker 9: The first time, I said, there's no way this is going to be happening, and then it happened. And then the second time, I said, there's no way this is going to happen again, and then it happened again. I just was so angry at so many different things because it was a classic case of the Celtics beating themselves, which we've seen this so many times throughout the Tatum and Brown era, right in that Miami series when they went down three a couple of years ago of the Eastern Conference files when they had Kyrie Irving. E've been dating back to those days right where they just shot they just put themselves in these holes, and they dug themselves in these holes and made it difficult for them. And that's exactly what was going on here. Right you're screaming at Azoula first, because he's a coach, right, can we be adjusting something here? Clearly something isn't working. And of course, more than anything else, you're screaming at a three point shot because that's what they rely on and that and in that game one especially, they just go back to what they're used to, which is the isole ball, and they go up the court so slow and Tatum just you know, Jack's up a three and when he has it going, it's great. But like, they don't need threes at that moment. They need buckets, right, All they need is just simple scores. Uh. And And that's the most infuriating part is that, like I that that series to me was lost in the first two games. Whether or not Tatum goes down in that game, for they were gonna lose that game, right, So then you're down three to one. Uh And I don't know if that's something that they can come back from those those first two games. Is settling for those three pointers. I didn't like the shot selection at all. I think that's where it was lost.
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, I agree one hundred percent. And I think that led us into the world of Joe Mizula a little bit, because up until that point, I had been Okay, he's doing a good job, and it seems like he's Tatum's guy. So they won a championship. Fine, But when he came out and said that's what we do, We shoot threes, I just went idiot, moron, wrong answer, wrong answer, because you're a different team, and the key to being a good coach is adjusting. Now, Holiday was not the same guy, obviously, Porzingis obviously was not the same guy. So you can't win tossing up prayers when White's not making threes and Holiday and Perzingis are ineffective. You can't.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Porzingis was in a coma or something.
Speaker 3: Going on with the breathing.
Speaker 9: You know, yes, he has some some type of illness. But I mean we should also mention, you know, congrats to the Oklahoma City Thunder. They just advanced their first NBA Finals with twenty twelve. The Celtics aren't going to beat that Thunder team with you know, the way they were playing in that in that Knick series, So you know, you're totally right with the way that Porzingis was playing and the way that Drew was playing, they weren't gonna get by the Thunder. I don't know if they'd get by the Pacers, to be honest with you, and I think the Thunder are going to be clearly, clearly on their way to the twenty twenty five NBA Championship, winning in five. I think the Celtics was the only team that really could have stopped them. But you're right, Porzingis and Holiday just didn't look like themselves. You had streaky Knights from White. It just it was just a disaster. And in that Game four, I mean, Tatum was having one of the best games of his life and nobody else could give him a helping hand, nobody could do anything for him, and they just totally crumbled at the end.
Speaker 3: Tatum's my favorite player in the NBA, and I'll tell you why. Number One, I love his attitude. Number two. Last year when they won the NBA Championship, he couldn't shoot to save his life, and he got rich.
Speaker 9: He bounds.
Speaker 3: This year, he comes back, he carries him, he puts him on his back. He's got forty two points. That goes. He's my favorite player in the NBA. I love the guy. You know, you can have everybody else. I don't care.
Speaker 9: I can't say any anything bad about him. Honestly, I mean, he's not only on the court, but off the court. He's a great role model, he's a he's a great father. It seems like, right, he has no problems. You have all these guys that are you know, prima donnas, and they getting all these trouble, you know, problems off the court. But Tatum isn't. Isn't that guy and his play on the court is so remarkable. He's easily played himself into that top five level. Now all we can do is hope that he can get back to that when he comes off his injury.
Speaker 3: Now Brown, I think what has been underplayed is Brown was playing on one leg, right, Yeah, that was it was a factor. That was a factor, you know. And and the other thing I'm down on Missoula. Man, I don't know if he's a guy going forward when he just came out and he just said that's what we do is two threes, unlike really, I mean, and I know Brad backed them up, but.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've never been the biggest Maszula guy. When they went down on three against Miami, I was I was spreaing from to be fired. Obviously, last year they had their crazy run and he redeem himself.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 9: You're not going to call for a coach to be fired after he goes sixteen to three in the playoffs and win the championship, Right, But then you have to think, like, Okay, the roster that he had, the starting five, one of the best starting fives ever assembled in the history of the league. Right, So who wouldn't win with that roster? Right? And then you come out in these playoffs and it's, like we said a few minutes ago, there's just no adjustments. There's that is what he struggles with the most as a coach, making adjustments on the fly, calling timeouts. The timeout thing still blows my mind. How is he not learned that, like when to call timeouts when the appropriate time is to do so, and he just doesn't do it. And the adjustment thing is is is the biggest thing. It's like, you're up twenty points. You don't need to be jacking up threes. There's just no reason for it. Right. I understand that you sow into the math and the analytics and if we shoot x amount of threes and make x percent, we're going to win the game. Okay, if you're up by twenty and you keep scoring twos or free throws, you're gonna win the game. If you keep missing threes, you're giving the Knicks an opportunity to come back in the game when they have Jaylen Brunson. He's the clutch player of the year on the court. So I totally agree with you. But then you got to think who are the better options out there? I mean, you have Michael Malone who just got fired from Denver. I don't know. It's like when you're hiring a new coach in the NBA these days, you're kind of looking at used goods, right, because these guys have been fired and they've already been in situations that haven't worked out unless you want to go for an assistant. But that like, the Celtics have a win now roster. You know, if you fast forward through next year, so why you do that? Then you're kind of starting starting off fresh, right, So I don't know. I agree with you, but I don't know if there's a better option.
Speaker 3: This is gonna sound crazy, and it just popped into my head and it's late at night. I think Doc Rivers would be the perfect coach. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, no, no, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You don't think I think he'd work well. You don't think he'd work well with these kids?
Speaker 9: Now, I was I was reading yesterday that Doc Rivers is one of the reasons why the Bucks feel confident Yoannest will stay. Apparently they have a really good relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, then he's not going to get anywhere. But I'm serious. Think about Okay, been with me for a minute, think about this. Okay, okay, Doc, when these guys are twenty two to twenty three, not happening. Doc, Now, I tell you, I think he'd be a great fit with them. It's not gonna happen because I think because I think that when players are mature. I mean you're talking about Jalen. I think Jalen and Doc would be great at twenty eight years old. I think they would connect. And I think and I also think Doc. I also think what people didn't see with Doc is he also knew when to kick some ass. I don't think Joe can do that. I still think Joe, I don't. I don't think he can. You know, I think Joe is he was Tatum's pick, and I think he's one of the guys. I think he's one of the guys. And I think Doc Doc could do it. It's not going to happen. I'm just talking on him, and you know what, but I you know, if you could find maybe a Van Gundy, I don't know, I think an older coach right now, because these guys would listen, I think that could work. I don't know who knows, I don't know. Maybe I don't know. Like I think Rick Carlisle with this team would be great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean he's going to be What what Rick Carlo is doing with the Pacers right now is making him the most highly coded coach in the NBA besides Daniel Wo's going to the finals right now. So yeah, I mean he I totally agree with you. Doctors has lost way too many Game seven's in recent years and going with me, and he's done it with just about every team that he's been on, but except this Bucks team.
Speaker 3: But I think the idea, Look, I'm not sold on Missoula right now, quite honestly, and next year is a lame duck year, but I think the idea of a veteran coach coming in with some pedigree, with these guys is not crazy. Anyways, We're gonna take a break, We're gonna talk. I want to talk about the Nicks and the Patriots. Plus we still get Patriots to go to and the sale of the Celtics with Jackson Tolliver next on WBZ.
Speaker 7: Nightie with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 3: Uh, did you hear about Jackson Telliver with us talking about the sets? Did you hear about the holiday thing in Dallas?
Speaker 9: Which one the one for PJ. Washington and Daniel Gafford?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I'm not concerned about what's coming back. But do you think that it's because they're going to get the kid from Duke, the kid from Maine with the number one pick? Do you do you think it's a wise move for them to bring in Holiday as a veteran.
Speaker 9: Oh? Totally yeah. I mean, so the roster would then be you have either Kyrie or Drew running point, assuming that Kyrie can come back reight because he towards a cl and march I believe so, Uh, that should put him on target to be back for a playoff run. Right, But let's say let's let's do that without Kyrie's lineup first you have Drew. You have a d obviously, and then you have Flag and then whatever other pieces sort of stick around after Uh, they do that Drew Holiday piece right because they'd have to send something back to Boston. But that's three right there. And then you throw Kyrie in right before the playoffs. Uh, that's a pretty dangerous team. And Dallas is so lucky to be in that position, man. I mean, you've got a feel for teams like Utah and Washington who were just so so bad all year, and the one light at the end of the tunnel is we have a chance to get this Cooper Flag kid who's going to be you know, the next space of the or whatever. And Tallas just you know, whether or not you think it was rigged by the NBA, Dallas has got gifted a perennial franchise guy. At least it appears that way right now. So yeah, I think that'd be a wise move for them, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I don't buy into the rigged thing. I know everybody goes back to like the NIXT getting Patrick Ewing and all that. I do not think it was rigged. And I think if Cooper Flag went to Washington, they'd screw it up because that team should just be put out of business. I met the Wizards, give me a break. I mean, they can't get anything right, they really can't. They had general there, Gilbert Arenas. You know, they had Porzingis, and Porzingis sucked there. The Wizards suck. It's a terrible organization. They don't deserve Cooper flag. I'm telling you that right now. But Okay, I do think it's I think Holidays. I think it is time to move holiday because I don't think he can help the Celtics next year and I think his better days are behind him. And if you can, if it can help you down the road, and I don't know if it can, I would move through HOLLI.
Speaker 9: I'm moving toward Zingis ahead of Holiday. And I don't know if that's recency biased and if that's because he absolutely stunk it up in this last round of the playoffs. But you know, you're talking about a guy who has not been healthy throughout this playoffs run and throughout last year's playoffs run. Right. Uh, he was, he was, he was kind of you know, he came back for the finals after getting injured in the first round had some great moments for sure, but then got injured again, and uh, it's it's an issue. Right, So if you're picking between those two guys, I'm gonna go with the guy who's a proven winner, who who is still, even at his age, one of the best on ball defenders in the NBA. I will I will die by that. Yeah, yes, totally. But I mean, if you, if you, if you go back to that series, to either one of the series, right Watford was doing against Paolo Bancaro, who is way taller than him, and and Watchford doing on Brunson, they would just target switches throughout that series. But he did a pretty solid job on Brunson, right, barring a couple of those games. But yeah, I would still put him up there in that elite on ball defender category. And he's a leader. Right. If holiday goes, who's the leader on this team? Is it Brown? It's gotta be right?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's Brad. Yeah, I mean I and I you know, Tatum will be a year older. I think that they would be fine in that category. Okay, let's get to the Nicks and the pictures, because I know it's blasphemy here in Boston I don't like the Nick organization. Okay, I don't like the Nick organization. I think Madison Square Garden is a little overrated. I'm not a fan of Chalomet and everybody. You know, Stiller on the sideline, they become Los Angeles East. At least Spike has been there for every game.
Speaker 9: That is true, that is true. Give us props.
Speaker 3: But I like the players. I like the players. Tims. I know Tims a little bit. I like him too. He coached here. I mean Tims can get stubborn, He's could definitely get his fault sometimes. But I like the players. How can you, you know, to be a basketball fan and not like the Nick players.
Speaker 9: Has got a ring in Boston, right? Yeah? Season? Yeah, he was on the he was on the assistant on the assistants bench.
Speaker 3: I know you like twelve at the time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well basically I agree with you, Yeah, I I do agree with you. I think Karlton Towns gets a little too flashy for me sometimes, and maybe that's just because he got so flashy against my team. But you have to respect Bronson, right. I always love the undersized guy who's just gonna punish you and it can just do anything. On the court, right, kind of like Isaiah Thomas. Isaiah Thomas is one of my favorite Celtics ever, just because it's like, it's so inspiring to watch a guy who's small and has you know, all odds against him and just becomes a juggernaut on the court. Right. The flopping thing bothers me a little bit and I and I do buy into that narrative that I think the foul baiting that Jalen Brunson does, while it is a smart basketball play, uh, it's it's not a good product to watch, and I don't like it. I just I don't like it. And there's no one on the Celtics who plays like that. And Brunton, to me, is one of the worst defenders in the league.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: It's it's it's like what Harden did a lot during during his prime. Right, He'd average like thirty points over like a four game stretch, but he would shoot so many free throws and go to the line so many times. It's a strategy, right, it's a it's a it's a way to score and it's a winning strategy. I just don't like watching it, But yeah, I do like the next players and I like the Villanova aspect. I think that's cool, right, You have all these guys that play together through college, win a national championship and then get the opportunity to play on the same court in the NBA in in New York. And I will say I think the NBA is a better place when the Knicks.
Speaker 3: Are good, no doubt, there's no question.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the viewership goes up and then and the engagement goes up. So you know when the when the Lakers and the Knicks are good, the NBA is a better place for sure.
Speaker 3: I just think it's funny that their head coaches Tims who is a great guy. But I mean he what he called Salem State plumbing, the state whatever it is. He is just not He's he is not New York. I mean he just like sweat, sweatpants, T shirt and watching watching film like twelve hours a day.
Speaker 9: No I know. Yeah, he's a Boston guy, no question.
Speaker 3: And he brunts and bruns. His dad play is a Boston guy. Now we get to the Pacers. What do you think about Rick Carlisle who? Look I remember Rick who went to the university mate for a couple of years my college before he went off to Virginia and I covered him when he was with the Celtics a little bit back in my early days and.
Speaker 9: He coached Providence, did he I think? I think he coached Providence as well. I thought, No, I.
Speaker 3: Don't remember that.
Speaker 9: I remember him.
Speaker 3: His first head coaching job was the Pistons.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, he did.
Speaker 3: A great job with the Pistons. I mean they did and then but he's readjusted. I mean, well with Larry. I mean I think he was Larry's assistant, that's right. With the Pacers Harder, you know, he did the defense and Harder did the offense and the other way around. I always get confused. But nonetheless, he's reinvented himself now where people are surprised that that he's adjusted his style of coaching with the Pacer team again, which is a fun team to watch totally.
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, we just talked before the break about washed up coaches and coaches that get sort of used up by a team, and that was exactly what everyone builds. Rick Carlile as right, he's an older coach. When he got fired from Dallas, that was a team that had Luka Doncics and Poisingis at the time Poorzingis was valued a lot higher than he is now, right, Uh, And that was a team that was projected to do a lot better than they did, and he was sort of the scapegoat in the castaway because they said, your style of basketball is too old, it's dated, and he wants to Indiana, and you're right, he totally reinvented himself and Indiana, I mean, what a story they are, What a what a franchise they're building over there, you know they were they were talking about on the on the on Bill Simmons's pod the other day, like Indiana is the team that you want to be in the in the East right now for the next like five six years, right, because they have roster flexibility comparatively, and they have Tyree Teliburton, who I don't know how you can't argue he's a top ten player right now, right he has to be in that conversation. After the Athletic released the poll that said he's the most overrated player amongst his NBA colleagues, they actually voted him the most overrated player. One game away from from from the NBA Finals, where I think they will lose resoundingly by the way, but it's it's still remarkably impressive what Carlisle's done and what that team has done.
Speaker 3: Now about Okay, she with two Massachusetts guys leading the way, Presley and the head coach. The head coaches from Fitchburg, right.
Speaker 9: Dud Presty's an Emerson grad.
Speaker 3: Where Jackson has a well valued degree and I was a member of faculty for a couple of years. I guess that makes us kind of are we boys with Presty? He what kind of like in the club?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Right, if they get a ring, they should send those one. I think we'll get a ring. Yeah, they should. They should. They should totally send us one. Yeah, it's not so interesting though. I never thought that an NBA GM would come from Emerson College, and the Washington GM now is also Emerson grat They just keep pumping.
Speaker 3: They just keep pumping out those actors, those Academy Award winners and NBA Managers of the Year. We are going to switch gears with Jackson's help. We got to talk about my guy Rabel and the Patriots who Jackson covered last year. That's all coming up here on WBZ.
Speaker 7: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's News radio before.
Speaker 10: We were gathered here fifteen months ago at the Sports Illustrated Pavilion to welcome Mike as a new inductee into the Patriots Hall of Fame. And I'm really proud that fifteen months later, we're back here today to invite him and his lovely wife Jen to announce as the new head coach of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 11: You know, I'm humbled, I'm grateful. It's a lot of people that have helped me get to this point, and I want to thank them.
Speaker 3: I want to use this.
Speaker 11: Opportunity to thank them in front of you. You'll get to know some of them, most of them. I'm excited to get to work, but everything and everyone in this building is going to understand and believe that their job is critically important for our success. And it's going to be you know, how can.
Speaker 3: I help you?
Speaker 9: In order to help the players?
Speaker 3: Mike Rabel. I covered him as a player, I interviewed him and went down to Tennessee when he was coaching the Titans. I'm a fan of rabel Even though we did a skit on Comcast Sports at Jackson Tellivers with me at Jackson, I don't know if you ever saw this, but when they put a helmet on me and I went against Rabel in a three point stance and he knocked my ass twenty yards back. It's on video. Oh yeah, we got I gotta find it. They got it back. Oh my god. It was hilarious. And my ribs killed for a week. They said, you want me blocked, he says, I'm in. Oh my god, if it was Vulgary would have killed him. But you know, yeah, sure, so Raves is the headman down there. I love girod Mao. I considered Gio a friend. I loved working with him. I don't think he had a chance in hell that it just wasn't the right situation for him. I hope he finds happiness. I hope he coaches again. I believe in the guy. I don't know if he was ready for the gig, but this is the right guy for the job. That I mean, I assume you agree with that. I don't know anyone who doesn't think that.
Speaker 9: Totally agreed. Yeah, I don't think you can find anyone who thinks that this wasn't the right higher. I do feel bad for Mayo. I think he was thrown into the fire. He's given one of the worst rosters in the NFL, probably maybe the worst roster in the NSA looking back at last year's team, right, they had no star power. They had Drake May, but he wasn't ready to start until week five or six. Yeah, so I feel bad for him, but obviously didn't didn't work out there. But yeah, Mike rabel Man, I mean, what what more can you ask for in a coach? Right, proven leader, proven winner. He took that Titans team, which had no business being in an AFC championship game to an NFC championship game, right, And that that year that he did that, they beat the Ravens, who were That was like Lamar's a breakout emergence year where he won MVP in the Ravens where like Edwards, you know, everyone's on the bandwagon for them to win the Super Bowl. He beat that team and then narrowly lost to the Chiefs, who ended up obviously winning that year Super Bowl. So proven winner. You know, the players have a lot of respect for him, right, I think a lot of their They had a great free agency this year, and I think a lot of that has to do with him. Players want to play for him. He's a players coach, but not as much as a players coach as girod Mayo was, where everyone is just you know, lounging around and playing video games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Gerard didn't have the keys, you know. They they were doing everything by committee. Vrabel comes in and this is this is how it's going to work because people will say, well, what's the front eye. Rabel's running everything. Okay, he's got a couple of guys in the front office that are going to do you know, he's not going to get caught up in all the scouting and all that. But when it comes to the draft, they're going to put the information in front of him and he's going to tell him who to draft. Now, the one thing I do know is that Bill would be involved in draft meetings in November, which was crazy. He's not going to do that. He's going to do He's not going to do that right So, and it didn't really help Bill's drafts. I mean, let's face.
Speaker 9: It, no, no, Bill had terrible draft.
Speaker 3: Especially recently. So he's got it down and he and and there there's an attitude of doing things the right way, and Vrabel just exudes at and players will get the best out of him. The one thing he he knows how to punt, He knows how to push the right buttons. I mean that's really yeah, that's what you know. He knows how to push the right buttons to get the most out of the players. And you mentioned that thing when he coached the Titans. Now I went with you. Do you remember the time that he out coached Bill? What the heck was that? And then Bill.
Speaker 9: Was against Yeah, so it was the first it was that was Brady's last ever give him a Patriots right, and they end up losing to the Tennessee Titans, right, And it was so what happened was it was a situation where you would let they were punting right and you would let the clock run out. And Bill had done it earlier that year to the Jets, which is why it was so funny because Bill had done it to the Jets and he smiled on camera. So what they did was they would let the play clock go down all the way and then they wanted the other coach to accept the penalty right and push them back five yards because it's easier for them to get a touch back. But the coach is going to decline it so then they can just do it again. Right. So that was the ultimate, like you know, the the apprentice becomes the master, right, and and he he Bill belichicked Bill Belichick, right, And that was obviously Brady's last game, devastating loss that year. Man, they started off so good. Remember that was year they started off nine to zero, I know, and they got Antonio Brown, but.
Speaker 3: I remember, but I remember Brady coming out, and I've been around long enough to know, like Brady was not bs ing. He says, we're not as good as people think we are.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could see in his eyes he goes, we're fools. Goal. But when Rabel did that, I remember Bill just m f and him on the other side of the field, I mean, just like Frabele And it was just so funny because I do remember Rabel used to bark back, like Rabel was the one guy that could bark back at Bill because Bill respected him so much, you know. And then the way Rabel, Rabel and Brady when they scrimmage, and Rodney Harrison too, they would scream at each other. Oh they were they were, They went hard. So Verbel brings that that attitude and he would kill us in the media. I mean, oh, he would just destroy us. He would like, yeah, we'd go in the locker room, he'd dump all over us. But he's gonna be He's gonna be great. Yeah, So what do you say, I say they make the playoffs.
Speaker 9: I'm very excited about this team. Yeah. I think they had one of the best offseasons that I've seen from any team in a long time, on on paper, at least, right, because I thought the draft they killed the draft. I know every single player that they got I think has a chance to be an impact player. I every single pick they made I thought was really really strong and makes a lot of sense for what they need. So now you look at a team where Drake May, I mean obviously all the rest on Drake May, right, is Drake May gonna make a year two leap or is he gonna have a sophomore slump? If he makes that year two leap, he now has the PI around him to succeed, right, especially on defense. I mean, their defense got so much better. Milton Williams, who now becomes the highest paid Patriot of all time in terms of Anuel's salary, Super Bowl winner, Right, he's fresh off that Super Bowl win. Total dog on the defensive line, which is exactly what they needed. Both lines, the defensive line and the offensive lines last year were terrible, like unwatchably bad. So now you bring in all these guys, right, you bring in Milton Williams on defense, and you draft Will Campbell with your fourth overall pick. Absolute stud in my opinion. And left tackle is such an important position right because it's the quarterbacks blind side, so Drake May in theory, will not be taking as many sacks. And they also draped Morgan Moses to be on the right side. They drafted a new center, Wilson. So the offensive line got beefed up big time and the defensive line got beefed up big time. So you're gonna win those battles in the trenches, which is what Mike Rabel's system is all about. So yeah, I feel very confident about this Patriots team. They're my second most confident Boston team right now, I think, because the Red Sox are terrible right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Bruins are screwed. No, I agree with that. Hey, did you see the video as Stefan Diggs in the pink substance?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah, everyone's been on that today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for those of you that don't know, but it's on, actually you can check it out. Stefan Diggs is on a boat in Miami where Cardi Beats's girlfriend and he's got women all around him, of course, and he pulls out this little baggy with like a pink substance in it and something else, and now everybody's making a lot of this. So what do you think it is? Do you think it's lucky charms? Do you?
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 3: It's not a good look.
Speaker 9: No, it's it's it's not a good look. I don't know what that specific pink substance is. Maybe a lot to ask to my college friends, but yeah, it's it's not a good look. And you know, this was the concern that people had about Stefan Diggs, his off the field stuff. He has a tendency to be a diva and get himself in bad situations. Right, this specific situation, I think he's just gonna boil over, or not not boil over, sorry, the opposite of boilover. I think he's just gonna like roll over and just be done. I don't I don't think anything's gonna really come of it, because it's not like he was, you know, doing drugs on video. He happened to have one, and no one really knows what it is. So I think it's hard for the league take any action there. Rabel said today during media availability that you know, he had a conversation with him. It sounds like he's pretty serious about it. He said, you know, I talked to him, and we're going to keep that between myself, him and the club, right And you know, he talked about we want to make good decisions on off the field, whatever. Whatever. I don't think this is a big deal, but his personality off the field is definitely something to monitor. And if this becomes a trend, then it becomes a bigger issue. Right, this this specific thing, I think we're we're all gonna forget about it in a week. But who knows well.
Speaker 3: The problem And Rabel does understand this. You know, back when Mike came from Pittsburgh with the Patriots, it was much easier to have a my way or the highway type of attitude, right, especially with the Patriots, because the key to the Patriots' success, at least mentally was Brady. Because Brady would buy into whatever the coach said to do. So when your best and I've had pro coaches tell me this, whenever your best player buys into what the coach tells you to do, everybody else is going to follow and then you have success. So Brady took less money, Rodney Harrison took less money, Bruski took less money, and so forth. So Brady would set the tone for the rest of the team. That's not happening now and it's a different time. And Vrabel knows that. So I'm sure he's piessed because he's because he's sitting there saying, I don't need this headache. What are you doing? And he's a freaking receiver. Receivers are divas. They go their own way there. You got to be crazy to be a receiver. I don't know if it's Strawberry Quick, I don't know what is. But the thing of it is is Rabel just has to say, I'm going to handle it internally. And you know what he's gonna tell Stefan Diggs be aware when somebody's videotaping.
Speaker 9: Yet, that's what he's gonna tell you, I mean, exactly, that's gonna be.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna sit there and he's not gonna go, we can't have this. You know, you can't do it this way. That stuff doesn't fly anymore. He's gonna go, look, you're on camera everywhere. Don't be stupid. That's it. Yeah, that's what he's gonna tell him, because I know Patriots to think it. Oh verbel will put him over his knee. No he won't, No he won't.
Speaker 7: You can't.
Speaker 9: He can't. He can't, Yeah, he can't. It's it's yeah. I mean. The thing with Stefon Diggs that you got to remember is he didn't come to the Patriots. And although we feel confident about New England, right, he didn't come to the Patriots because they're a super team expected when a Super Bowl. He's not ring chasing. He didn't come to the Patriots because it's a you know, wonderful city all year round with warm weather. He came to the Patriots because they offer him most money, right, right, So he is he doesn't have that automatic buy in that other players might have, right he he has nothing to fight for, right. Other guys are fighting for their roster spots. You know, guys like there are eight wide receivers now in that room. I believe on the on the roster, two or three of those guys are getting a cut. He's obviously not one of those guys, right, so he's a veteran. I don't Yeah, I think you're totally right. I don't think he has that buy in because it doesn't need to at this point, right. But I'm excited to see what he can do as a player, and I really hope that he I mean, he's been looking good, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal. Receivers are happy when they get the ball. Yeah, just get him the freaking ball. And that was Bill's problem. Look, it worked with Randy Moss for a while. I mean that oh seventh season was phenomenal with I mean they had three wid receivers. It was great, you know, with it was phenomenal.
Speaker 9: But what's that I said? Until it wasn't phenomenal.
Speaker 3: It wasn't. Yeah, but we all but everything, but even Brady said that they knew Moss was only going to last for a while, right, right, But when he but was buying in, it was tremendous. So since then, you know, Bill keeps dumping on these receivers and he can never pick the right one, And I mean Adamman was like, I mean, he got Adaman at a bargain, so we loved him. And you know, so now you got to if you get the guy the ball, he'll play. It's that simple. Yeah, give him the freaking ball.
Speaker 9: And he will get the ball. And Drake May, I think, is equipped to get him the ball where he wants it. Again. You know, coming off in a cl that's a that's a tough injury, right, that's a that's a really tough injury to come off of. But from what I've seen from his workout videos and you know, what we've seen throughout this off season and the off season is really just just getting started, right we you know, training camp hasn't even officially begun yet, there's just optional team activities. He looked really good, So I'm I'm excited to see what he sells us in the tank and you know, just one of the many interesting pieces that I'm interested to see uh for the Patriots this year. He's He's number one on my list right because we know what's the fon Diggs can be when healthy, and that's you know, a top five, top through receiver in the league. So I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he can do in New England.
Speaker 3: Jackson Tolliver always a pleasure follow him on Instagram because he puts these things on his Instagram story, like the soccer videos and stuff. I know nothing about it, but if you're really in it's like you go, he's got you know, the World, the Cup, the European Cup and the this and then Scotland and the whatever. But if you're into soccer following man.
Speaker 9: Because he's Manchester United man all day, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: He's all over it. Jackson, be good. Thanks for coming on you as well, my friend.
Speaker 9: Always a pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I'll talk too soon. One of the young up and coming stars in the sports media, Jackson Tolliver. Yes, he was my student Emerson and I knew right away that this kid's got it. He knows what's up, he knows what's up. I'm expecting big things from him. We will wrap up the show right after this on WBC.
Speaker 7: With Dan Ray on wb Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Man, what a show tonight, people? Huh? What a show? Text of calls and what's going on with Demula's It's as simple as this. They want the brother out three sisters want to take over. In my opinion, I think they want to sell the company. It's as simple as that. Follow the money. People follow the money. But I have to tell you that as a business story, the de Mulla story is tremendous. I really do. I think it's I think it's unreal. You know, twenty fourteen fights for the company, h gains control of the company after the entire workforce walks out in support of him, pays off the one point six billion dollar debt. There are seven billion dollar company. Their revenues are coming in. People love the store. We took calls on people loving Demula's and they've really found a niche. And this, you know, Arthur Tique seems to be the guy that really cared about his employees, and now his sisters want to take it away from him. Why can't rich families get along? What is it? Excuse me? I mean, you know, you have a lot of money. Money just seems to screw things up. It really does. I wouldn't mind risking it. Give me a couple of billion. I'll see if I can keep my family on track. I think I would do fine. Check out the new book from Casey Sherman, my buddy, terrific author Blood in the Water with a unique angle, a very unique angle that you need to read where it's not as simple as people think with Nathan Carmon. Was he guilty, did he kill his grandfather? Was he responsible for his mother's death? It's not as open as shut as you would have believed. Terrific book by Casey, He's Blood in the Water. Congratulations to Christina Rex from CBS Boston and we are very fortunate she is going to continue to report for Channel four. I expect big things from her, and now that she's an attorney, she has to pass the bar, but she just graduated from law school. I'm sure she'll pass the bar in July. First time, one and done. And she has done an outstanding job in covering this trial, which quite frankly, I'm getting sick of. But we needed to check in and find out what the hell's going on, and she said it could be another two and a half more weeks. H brutal. I want to thank Odie Henderson. He wrote a great piece on Jack Lemon, who would have been one hundred years old, and Jack Lemon is one of the great actors and Gary Glenn ross Is Shelley phenomenal, China syndrome, The Apartment, an odd couple, grumpy old men, one of a kind. Really, it's just one of my favorite actors. Marita LaRosa, Thank you very much for putting the show together. Rob Brooks always a pleasure. My friend coming up on the show tomorrow night. See I'm going by memory here. Cooper Lawrence joins us, my friend from New York City and CBS Entertainment. As we will talk about that. Todd Fernard is going to be joining us for properties. He's going to be joining us, coming up at ten o'clock tomorrow night. My friend, the freak from the left coast, Sam Metler, returns at eleven o'clock to talk everything politics, to get into the insanity of what's happening. You know, maybe I'm burying you in the lead by saying this, but we'll talk about it tomorrow night. When they ask Trump, you know what's going on with Putin, he says he doesn't really want to put pressure on Putin yet he's trying to figure out, you know why, because Putin does not care what Donald Trump does. He is not afraid of Donald Trump and Trump knows it. There's nothing Trump can do about putin period, end of story. Well, continue that conversation tomorrow night. That's what they call my friend, a big marketeque See you tomorrow night, eight o'clock. Night side. You aread tangled. Good night,