Speaker 1: Welcome back to the fires Gape cast. It is episode ninety nine. We are here. It's January twenty seventh or something. I'm Mike Mahardy. Here's always with Dan Riikert. Hello, and Mary Kish.
Speaker 2: This is my real voice. Do not be fooled by the imitators that people have overused in jokes that are over.
Speaker 3: One year old.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, Dan, that soundby was perfect.
Speaker 4: That wasn't on the on the recording. I haven't done it on a podcast in a while.
Speaker 2: Authentic, true gluten free Mary, it is real.
Speaker 1: Raw and wait, breebe the opposite of raw.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Do people have gluten in them just by nature?
Speaker 1: I got, oh, yeah, I have to gluten. Yeah, check out both of my glutens. I don't do voices anymore. We discussed yeah, yeah, gluten. So what's up Dan? You got Harvard floors in that room?
Speaker 3: Now? Luxury vinyl is I think the technical term.
Speaker 1: Oh and if anybody, Xana, can you preface a disturbing noise that people might pick up at some point during this episode? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes I don't think about things that might be a surprise to people. And I was like, yeah, so I was turning to think, like, what can we do to our house? We should do something to our house. And me and Bank both had our offices. Uh had the carpet torn off and put the vinyl in, and she's fine with it. She's not, you know, on a recording podcaster, exactly, it looks good, thank you.
Speaker 3: It feels good on my feet.
Speaker 2: It's super important for a professional podcaster to have a really nice hardwood floor behind them.
Speaker 4: I did mention it to back Lar and he's like, well, that's going to give you an echo. It's like, oh, okay, well here's my thing. In Connecticut. Every fucking up episode we did a fire escape, I had hardwood floors, and so I don't understand why it would be different.
Speaker 1: This room strikes me as bigger than that.
Speaker 3: I don't I think the other one might have been slightly bigger.
Speaker 2: It's also the dimensions, right, like if you're yelling at a wall and it bounces off the wall and HiT's a hardwood floor. I was told that there was sound baffling in your old place that you threw away because you were like, don't need this anymore.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's done the way.
Speaker 2: The carpet which you needed literally, and Dan, you know this within like five seconds of you saying hello, and I'm excited to record this podcast, I said, respectfully, you sound like dog shit.
Speaker 4: To be fair, though, that was when the furnace was going and it turned off. Now it could turn on again, so you might all hear it later on.
Speaker 2: Fully, we'll turn on again.
Speaker 3: It's winter in Minnesota, it's going to be It's only any second now.
Speaker 4: It's only been negative thirty negative thirty three around there, so it should be fine. And it probably gets warmer at night, which is when we're recording.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like a prospector's breathing between is one empty tooth slot.
Speaker 3: Like furnace right now? Right now? I sound fine?
Speaker 1: Right, no, you sound fine now, But the furnace does it sounds like fran Dresser getting attacked by a vulture.
Speaker 3: You might get the luxury.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a tea pot that you've ignored in your basement floor for three months.
Speaker 1: It's improv hour, let's go make it sounds like she's Or from Pokemon jacking off.
Speaker 2: Might actually sound like the noise we're trying.
Speaker 4: Shee Or it looks like Scissor. It's a character in the Star Wars universe s c I z O r Oh, it's like scissor okay, and I could see that, yeah, Or.
Speaker 1: It sounds like when Neo's screaming in the Matrix, when the mirror first goes down his throat.
Speaker 3: The Neo wax off.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, Well there's no sense in those movies that he's said, wait no, haven't turned to have sex in one of the sequels.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, like violently or not violent? Sweatily it's sweating sexy actually, but no, he like they kind of make it look like he's owing when he does the downloads, like, like, I know kung fu, make it?
Speaker 4: I mean I would probably ejaculate if I suddenly knew all of kung fu.
Speaker 3: Yeah mean yeah, Yeah, that's the first thing to teach you in your furnace.
Speaker 2: Sounds like ejaculating because you've learned all of kung fu.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's the first skill you would download if you could immediately learn, like master a skill in whatever ten seconds it takes.
Speaker 2: All languages would be really cool if you're just go like an all language pack would be pretty sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Would that be like Morse code and everything too? Or those like expansion packs. Oh okay, d yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: The languages nobody can talk anymore and like don't know anything about so you're able to like translate like texts that are just gone. Yeah, cipher codes.
Speaker 3: Maybe. I think I would do every martial art before I did languages.
Speaker 2: I would do violence over education, be shocked defense.
Speaker 1: I would do something parquet punch. You can learn Spanish in a few years.
Speaker 2: You can't learn can't You've learned a punch in four years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I want to know all the moves and holds and stuff.
Speaker 2: All these things take dedication, patience, and determination, of which you have none.
Speaker 1: You're downloading this. That's the point. You don't need one.
Speaker 2: The thing about languages is I assume that it's just like knowledge in your head. But when it's like kung fu, even if you have the knowledge, I don't know if you actually if your body would know. I mean, shot, I'm really are you as weak as you are now?
Speaker 4: Yes, But I mean there's a leverage and bodyweight that you can utilize. You know, I would know all the different chicken wings and Nelson's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are you trying to say?
Speaker 1: It? Jiu jitsu happens right here?
Speaker 2: Are you are you as limp as a noodle as you are at this moment, or it doesn't. It also come with some muscles.
Speaker 4: I did a ten minute peloton upper arm and shoulder exercise today, so I think I'm doing fine.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that'll save you in the Oxagon.
Speaker 3: Come on, McGregor, I would download.
Speaker 5: If I downloaded ten minutes to kung fu and I'm about to take on this fucking fighter, watch me still weak.
Speaker 2: I've forgotten the other component of.
Speaker 3: I would if I'd been better situation than I am now.
Speaker 2: You would snap your bones.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I that's the thing.
Speaker 4: If I got in a fight right now, I do think my knee jerk instinct would be like to do like a super kick like wrestling movies. Like I've seen so much wrestling, and I think I would be going for like the tas mission or a super kick before I tried in the actual martial arts move.
Speaker 1: I think a person who can actually fight would just punch you, like right in the chin really quickly and you get knocked out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be it. I mean, there's no way I would have my defenses up. I wouldn't know about how I was supposed to do that, it'd be over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would. If I was like fought in the Civil War, I wouldn't even use my bayonet. You just see me running around the field kicking people in the nuts. What if there's like a flag guy, Yeah, the flag guy just fall Yeah, Ulysses s Groin. What if, Like, do you think they could fully respect him if they saw him doing that?
Speaker 3: If you won the war, Yeah, there'd be statues to you.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I mean imagine, Okay, you're at like the victory parade in Washington, d C. And Ulysses S. Grant is riding passed on this horse after the Union wins. If you had seen that guy just sprinting around the battlefield kicking people in the cross, I don't think you'd fully respect him.
Speaker 2: Talking about as long as you win, you know what I mean, Like you take out a whole Nazi regime by just kicking them in the ball, It doesn't matter. This isn't really about any specific war. This is just about winning and being on the good side.
Speaker 3: You had guns, though, that's true.
Speaker 1: Before you kick's is like the scissor crock crotch kicking's paper and then like a nuke is the rock to the gun's scissor. Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, so in the previous question that somebody wrote in the Pokemon evolution goes kicking in the nuts gun nuke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's fair, all effective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they should make Christopher Nolan should make an Oppenheimer for the first guy that kick someone in the nuts.
Speaker 1: That'd be really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would see that.
Speaker 2: It's just like all of that amazing audio design. But it's just a slow motion kick to the groin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anybody timing it, like can see on their watch there's five minutes left and the growing kick hasn't happened yet, and all of a sudden, sloo kicks in, and.
Speaker 2: Then Isaac Newton goes, what have we done?
Speaker 3: And Einstein's in it for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it's I think it's Newton because it's like gravity of the balls. But like I get what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh that makes sense. Yeah, what I mean.
Speaker 2: He's like he's like writing all these like algorithms on a chalkboard and he's like, it's the balls, but it's too late. We've already learned.
Speaker 4: I think Newton ever drew balls. Yeah, yeah, like for fun or do you think it was part of like an equation.
Speaker 1: Like with a dick involved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like like, did like fourteen year old Isaac Newton draw a dick on a chalkboard? Did they have chalkboards back then? Did he draw it into sand or however they drew back then?
Speaker 1: I'm sure they had chalkboards, right a passage?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I hope that teenagers back then found that funny too.
Speaker 2: I don't think that one of the very few joys they had back then. You know, they didn't have tele and they didn't have video games. You know, back then you had some twigs and a berry and you were like, oh my god, that's like two dicks in one ball, and you you joked about that, and then you died of scoliosis.
Speaker 4: I used to in the middle of the night in college, some of the halls would be left open because there would be like late night classes, and me and my friends like after the bar sometimes would just go in and go into every classroom that was unlocked and just draw big, big dick and balls on it.
Speaker 1: Is that like with markers or chalk whatever was available. Did you deal with permanent marker on the board?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think. I think we're just trying to be rascals who were trying to cause damage.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that would be considered vandalism if you did permanent marker on a board at night in a college.
Speaker 2: So I think that's not super cool because now the teacher can't.
Speaker 4: Teach if it's permanent. Yeah, I know, they could wipe the dick off.
Speaker 2: The ultimate prank is one where all parties laugh. Nobody should be like crying in the corner, agreed, that's not a good prank. Should be something where everyone can appreciate the gag and life can go on as if it never happened. Does that mean that makes sense?
Speaker 4: Ranks back then, Yeah, all of mine were pretty temporary in college. You know, we're getting a shark mascot suit and running through a film class. Stuff like that, you know, very filming, it putting a risk show. Yeah, I had no fun innocent stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the.
Speaker 2: All the sweet, sweet innocent things.
Speaker 1: Tell tell us about a not victimless prank that you've done, because I'm sure there are some.
Speaker 4: Oh it would have been with like friends that I was very close to to where they could Oh, oh, I have.
Speaker 3: One, what's that?
Speaker 2: In college, we were playing a lot of Mario Kart, and one late night we broke into the college greenhouse and we stole the bananas from the banana tree and then we peeled them and threw them on the floor the greenhouse.
Speaker 1: Was it like a nursery for growing those things? Yeah, did like a botanist get pissed off.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they were, like, we've been trying to harvest these bananas for like three years. They weren't very you know, they weren't very big because it's not a good place to grow bananas, it's Ohio. And we plucked them all and peeled them and were like running around throwing them at each other's feet.
Speaker 1: The fun there's pounding on your bedroom door. The next night, a swat team of gorillas storms the room wearing helmets with that battering ram thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we probably feel you're my punishment is to be peeled like a banana, like my skin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems that's a fatality.
Speaker 2: Punishment from ulysses as growing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was his movie.
Speaker 2: I feel a little guilty that we probably ruined some learning opportunities. I'm sure the teacher who who ever really cared for that greenhouse was like these little bastards destroyed this banana tree that I've been working on. And it was not for like of any value. It was like, haha, we have peels and we're throwing them at each other.
Speaker 1: That was it. Where'd you go to college? What was the professor's name?
Speaker 2: I went to Ohio University.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna look it up, see if I can find the professor and tell them.
Speaker 2: I do feel a little bad about it, but I also think, like in the grand scheme of things, when I say, like we broke in, we didn't break uh, you know, like glass or anything. We didn't ruin the place. We just got in when we shouldn't have gotten in. And you know, ruining some bananas is not a huge crime. But that's the one I'm willing to admit to you.
Speaker 4: I guess the one that definitely had a victim with me, And I wasn't the only one, but I was kind of the ringleader. Was was in the dorms and my friend Ben. We got back from a party or something and we were all just tanked and Ben passed out hard and his lower bunk and his cousin was his roommate, and so his cousin, me, couple other friends went in and we got a bunch of duct tape and electrical tape and stuff, and we like scooted. He was so out, like, you know, he didn't even notice we're like scooting the whole bunk bed away from the wall, and we're just going around and around like fully, duct taping him to the bed, you know, putting cigars in his mouth, drawing on him in permanent marker, all that shit, and he's just.
Speaker 3: Not waking up. So we all just keep doing shit.
Speaker 4: So we fucking like took all of the pillows and blankets and everything, and we went up to the lobby, got all the couch cushions, put it between him and the lower part of the upper bunk, so he's completely sandwiched in there. We put down all the blankets over it so it's pitch black, and then we got all the chairs and everything from the lobby and filled the actual room with it. So even if he gets up, gets free of all the tape, he has to dig himself out from under all these cushions, find his way out from under the blanket, and then the whole room's filled with chairs. Anyway, if he couldn't be Chris. Well, we didn't think about them. We might have been nineteen and very stupid. So we leave and his cousin wasn't staying in there. His cousin was standing in a girl's room that night, And it turns out one of the guys was leaving the next morning to go to work and he just heard yelling coming from Ben's room and Ben's like help, help, goes in there.
Speaker 3: Ben had woken.
Speaker 4: Up two or three hours earlier, couldn't get out, and was super hungover and just was repeatedly peeing his pants.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm not claustrophobic, and is a terrifying cast to me.
Speaker 3: Yes, So we all went in.
Speaker 4: We helped him out, We cut him loose and everything, and he'd been peeing so much that his I want to say, his blanket or his fitted sheet was red. And so we took the fitted sheet off and there was just a pool of red pea because like the die from the thing had mixed with like had just been sitting there so long, and so just red pea that he'd been laying in. And so that night we went out to another party, we came back. I was the one who passed out of my bed and he put a bunch of super glue in my hair and so deserved it. Yeah, yeah, that's why. Well, I mean, but I had to like cut my hair like that night. So I get up and I'm just like, you know, asking people for clippers. I sho, you know, cut my head and all that stuff. And uh. Then I met him in the lobby and I asked if I could punch him in the face and then we would be even and call it juice. Yeah, I have this on tape. I have the face punch on tape. I have. Yeah, I just ducked him in the face.
Speaker 1: Really, you were already even, you fucking terrorized.
Speaker 2: I mean what he did to you was even.
Speaker 4: He was temporary. My hair was cut. I guess it's temporary too, right now?
Speaker 2: Is that from the glue?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: From two thousand and threes And yeah, so I should go find him and punch him again.
Speaker 1: I think I think you were even. Yeah, when he puts super glue in your hair.
Speaker 4: It was like he knew I was a weak man, and so I just got one punch to the chin. Got it on tape. It looked pretty weak. He just kind of ah, and we shook. Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh yeah, I would have. I would have freaked out if I woke up tied to a bed encased in linen's out. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Our entire floor was doing that ship like all the time, Like if we rememb There's one time, oh god, a guy came back from the bars and he was in his dorm room having coitus with someone we had met, and we took like handfuls of bottle rockets, like whole like bundles of them and just lit them and like the roommate would like, let us in with the key, and we just toss it in and they're just in their mid sex and a bunch of bottle rockets start going off.
Speaker 1: It's Jesus changer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh no, he thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, yeah, we were menaces for sure.
Speaker 2: Did he let you punch him in the face afterwards, just to make sure it was even?
Speaker 4: Now, there's no nobody got uh you know, any get backs on that one. But yeah, eighth floor McCullum Hall two thousand and two, two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and three was a column hall. It was a circus. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now he can only get off if there are fireworks in the room.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolute, that was a high. Was chasing the dragon forever.
Speaker 3: Sex with a Roman candle.
Speaker 1: Lit god he empty, he empties one hole from the Roman candle.
Speaker 4: Every every thrust one of the reports goes off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a nub because of all the mistakes and incidences.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our ras really loved us.
Speaker 2: I couldn't imagine. I feel like the girls dormitories were just so reasonable, Like, yes, we got into like moderate shenanigans, but we just were nice people. We just didn't do ship like that to each other. Our games were mental. We were fighting other wars.
Speaker 4: Sure, ours were very physical and gross and stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're from the era of Jackass, and I think all boys at that time and girls were just so heavily influenced. And the funniest thing you could do is get some one to shit their pants.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I never the shit stuff. That was as much as I loved Jackass. That was my line where it's like, I remember my friends would be really in the like cky and like bambargerra stuff and everything, and they would literally be like doing like poop stuff, and we're like running at full sprint and pooping.
Speaker 3: I always thought that was that's too gross.
Speaker 4: Like I thought it was funny when like, okay, tastefully one of the guys would go into a hardware store and poop in one of the toilets. That's fine, you know, that's just sitting display. That's tasteful. I don't want Sometimes they were pooping on each other's heads and stuff. It's like, I don't want to see this stuff.
Speaker 2: I also think they were saying something broader about our system and like how much things cost so that we can just do basic, you know things in our lives. Symbolism, symbolism, symbolism.
Speaker 3: I should have picked up on that social commentary.
Speaker 1: I think to this day my favorite Jackass is when they they lock all the doors on the limo open the center. It's the funny thing that because it's not the bees and the limo, it's the fact that say, cord marbles everywhere outside stars that makes it genius.
Speaker 4: That is the extra thing where it's like the bees are hilarious objectively, but when they're all eating shit, when they think they got out safe, like oh my god.
Speaker 3: I think my one of my favorites might be in the movie.
Speaker 4: I think the second one where they acted like some of my groupies had like written a note on the door to like it was on a big heart and it was like but the text kept getting smaller and smaller, so their heads said to keep getting closer to the and then cartoon ass boxing glove and when we man did it and he fell off the chairs just about was.
Speaker 2: A chair there.
Speaker 3: Oh god, it's so fucking funny. Those guys are geniuses.
Speaker 4: I met Johnny Knoxville backstage to WrestleMania when I was at Devin Dry and it just shook his hand and I was like, thank you for everything was cool.
Speaker 3: He was crazy, seemed a little like odd.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that Johnny Knoxville probably is, but like in a nice way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He's been punched in the head a lot, you know, and so like some of it might be the normal. Yeah, some of it is probably the normal, Like I am a celebrity and it is difficult to inner act with normies all the time. And then the other part is is like, yeah, he's been concussed so many times.
Speaker 3: He probably more CTE than the wrestlers he was working with.
Speaker 1: I suspect, so yeah, speaking of the CTE in wrestlers, I've watched the Mister McMahon documentary. Can you tell you can we talk about that? You're not?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Used to have to? Okay, Yeah it was really good. I I didn't realize obviously for those who haven't seen it on Netflix. Uh, they finished recording, or rather, Vince basically stopped coming to the interview sessions for a roll because the allegations came out like the bad allegations.
Speaker 4: They were recording all those interviews they got with him. They were recording in the building I worked in, just in like a separate room.
Speaker 3: I've filmed stuff in there before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I didn't.
Speaker 2: And they got a series out of it. I actually haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: Really got six part six part documentary on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, there's a lot just about wrestling in general that I didn't know. I told him, Man, I was like, watch this. I'm gonna pissed Dan off. So I started texting Dan like have you heard of these? Have you heard of something called the Monday Night Wars? And Dan, who kept thumbs downing all of them? What else did I say?
Speaker 3: If I had heard of the Montreal screw Job.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of there? You're like you must stop this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like texting someone who's really in the baseball and be like, heard of this, babe, Ruth?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, or if you just started learning Warhammer or wine and texting me about have you have you had a cap Frank before. It's good though.
Speaker 3: You guys are Vince fans now?
Speaker 1: No, your biggest fans not doing that one the family episode, just Amanda, Amanda's the Family one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I started to feel bad for Shane and that. Yeah, because James also completely nuts. Just to be clear, and if they documentary Sea.
Speaker 1: Kind of well adjusted in the documentary, just like overlooked unloved son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's insane.
Speaker 4: He's definitely not a monster on the level of his father or anything like that, but he's I'd imagine any child of that man ever being remotely saying. Stephanie is you know, she's definitely made some major mistakes and stuff on air and off, but like she was pretty beloved at the company, like she she was. I've worked with there like once or twice and she was very very nice. But yeah, Shane's nuts and Vince is a monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also had never seen the origins and how Big Hulk Hogan was. I mean, I knew he was this pop culture icon. I knew who he was, but I didn't really know how it started. I was around for when the Rock was coming up because I had friends who were really into the Rock and like Goldberg in that era.
Speaker 2: But it cool they got the Rock for these interviews. That's quite the guest.
Speaker 1: His was so fucking like polished though, like he just looked at the cameras like Vince would only ever do this and like stop being a movie star for a second, give.
Speaker 4: All points out, especially now that he's on the board of the company, and like even before that, he was just the most just like not going to say anything controversial, like all those guys still like seeing a rock, all those guys still hold Vinced in like very high regard, and it's just, yeah, that's rough.
Speaker 1: There was too little Rick Flair, I will say, matro Man. They really didn't. I also didn't realize that ultimate warrior, like his heart wasn't really in things. He was just the crowd liked him for a while.
Speaker 3: I didn't know, but he didn't care about the business. No one liked working with him. He was very selfish. He wasn't saying yeah, no one liked him.
Speaker 4: Hogan was a weird one because like I started watching in ninety three, which is right after Hogan left. So like I feel like most guys my age, like forty and above, they all go back, Oh Hogan, Hogan, he was my thing, and like he wasn't like by the time I was aware of him, it was like when he came to WCW and turned into a bad guy, and so like I missed that whole, like whole Camania era. And I don't think I certainly think I would hate him by this point, even if I grew up with him and his stuff. But like it is pretty awesome seeing everyone just knows that he's a real piece of shit. And like, I don't know if you saw he got like boot out of the building on the raw on Netflix.
Speaker 2: He did see that. People were talking about it on social media. It's just like this big turning point of like you are it wasn't normal, like you're a heel boo. It was like we don't want you here boo.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, and he's not a heel.
Speaker 4: He was brought out to be, oh, the legendary Jo Cogan and stuff, and everyone's like, no, fuck you, we hate you.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't just like.
Speaker 4: A Trump thing, because you know, he came out and he's done a bunch of Trump stuff and everything. Now he's very loud and proud about that, because like they had the Undertaker on the same show, who was extremely trumpy, and people cheered the Undertaker. It's Hogan is just a shitty person in every possible way you can be shitty, Like I don't trust anyone who has like kind words to say about him as a person.
Speaker 1: You know, I also really enjoyed, and I don't bear in mind, I don't I have not looked farther into a lot of these people. There's probably many of them have done shitty things I'm not aware of. I enjoyed the interviews that they did with like Sean Michaels because he was pretty honest. I'm sure he's done fucked up stuff. All these people have the dynamic between like Eric Bischoff, Bishoff am I saying that right? Has he done shitty stuff too?
Speaker 4: I mean, he's definitely someone who people would I think most of our listeners would not agree with his politics at all.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's like a monster or anything. He's always nice to work with.
Speaker 1: In terms of the documentary, those are the interviews that at least they were actually like talk like being giving interesting interviews, whereas the Rock was just like looking into the camera like just over like you know, not what's the word I'm looking for? Kind of just like airbrushed and really.
Speaker 3: A press junket for a movie.
Speaker 4: You know, it's just like the most like you know, soft, uh, and it's just he is just a corporate bullet point at this point. He's incredibly talented, but you're not gonna get anything real out of that guy.
Speaker 1: It was also crazy to hear when they started first start digging into how incredibly misogynistic and abusive everything was toward women. Tony Atlas was just like, oh, we were terrible to women back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, error, like it's just withoutout even like.
Speaker 1: Off button up shirt tucked in.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean, but every single era of wrestling has had plenty of horrible people and horrible situations like that.
Speaker 3: It has gotten much much better.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Tony Atlas in that era and everything you remember, like Tony Atliss in that documentary talking about Pat Patterson, you know, he grabbed my Pecker. That's why I didn't like him. And then it's like, why didn't you tell anyone's like what what am I gonna do? Go to Vince, Like that's not gonna fucking yeah, Vince's buddy, like he's not gonna punish in and like he'll get fired, you know, the wrestler. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it is much better now. It is far from perfect, but uh, it's it's been a fascinating industry now.
Speaker 2: You can't just grab them by their dick and balls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless you were Joey Ryan who that was one of his main moves for many many years and got him famous, but then it turned out he was actually a giant sex pest and got roundly canceled.
Speaker 1: H It's just like Vince, like his ring person in ring persona reflects who he really is.
Speaker 4: It's always crazy when like, yeah, like the real Vince is way worse.
Speaker 2: Could have predicted, Yeah, that the sex pest wrestler was a sex pest in real life.
Speaker 3: We thought it was a cheeky and ironic, like, nope, he's just a giant xist.
Speaker 1: The guy who showed up at his trial wearing a neck brace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guy who kept making out with his mistresses in front of his wife on camera. Oh turned out he actually had many, many extramarital affairs and much worse.
Speaker 1: Oh so, shit Dan, Actually for people listening in for Dan if you're not familiar, that was actually for it's called for shoot. It's when it's not technically real. It's part of a storyline.
Speaker 3: Oh oh so it's like, Okay, it's like a real thing that happened. Is that a work?
Speaker 1: Actually I'm making fun of you, but is that a work?
Speaker 3: The shoot? Shoot is real? Work is fake?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? So it was a work, Well, we'll.
Speaker 3: Talk to work shoot If it's yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it later. You can text me to any question.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, don't.
Speaker 2: I would shoot be real and work be fake.
Speaker 1: I don't get shoot.
Speaker 4: People that don't watch wressing have trouble with that, and I don't really understand why, because a shoot for.
Speaker 1: Shoot, like a video shoot is sounds shoots.
Speaker 4: No, it has nothing to do with that though where I come from, it's like straight shooting versus like it's a work.
Speaker 3: Like if something is.
Speaker 1: I get the work, not the shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, oh here I'm gonna shoot with you. I'm I'm gona shotraight with you, you know.
Speaker 1: Shoot.
Speaker 2: But the other one is like it's work like it's work, it's my job, as opposed to it's just a shoot.
Speaker 4: It's more not real a work. Not it's work like a job. It's more like it's a work. Like let's say it all comes from Carney stuff. So let's say a carnival booth was like, it's a work if the ring toss thing, if the rings only go over the shitty prizes, you know, like, oh right, it's a gimmick. It's yeah, it's that. That's where that comes from.
Speaker 2: Is all your terminology come from Carney's.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of mine comes from wrestling, which comes from Carney.
Speaker 1: Yeah you talk, Yeah, I use Mark now.
Speaker 3: And that comes from carnival stuff because like, let's say.
Speaker 1: Pick someone from the audience out right you're telling them, let's.
Speaker 4: Say, yeah, let's say it's a fella and his lady friend and they're walking down the little minigame section of the carnival, and it's clear the guy wants to win a big teddy bear for his girl. Basically they will have a guy go out there back.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're talking like the thirties, forties whatever.
Speaker 4: Somebody go out there with a little piece of charcoal and mark like the guy's little coat. And then that way all the other carnival barkers could see the mark and be like, oh, here's an easy marked. Like hey, I follow, you want to win this for your carol, come over here and know that the guy's just going to keep spending money because he has the mark on it.
Speaker 3: So he's a mark.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so's he's vulnerable, he's gullible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, easy marks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. Is that just because wrestling evolved out of like traveling carnival stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it used to be a strong man thing. So you started at carnivals be like.
Speaker 4: Ah, who can beat who can beat the strongest man of the world. He'll take anybody in this crowd. Who in this crowd, and like they would have a plant in the crowd, which a plant is still a term used in wrestling, and so the plant would be in the carnival too, and he would just be like an everyman and they would call the plant up to fight the guy and everything, and it was a work. So you know, whatever whoever they wanted to win, that would win it.
Speaker 1: It's like in The Prestige when they pick they got the plant? Is it Hugh Jackman or whatever you call him out of the audience and he's supposed to Christian Bale is supposed to catch the bullet, and then Hugh Jackman actually loads a real bullet to shoot him because he because he blames him for kill him his Well, have.
Speaker 3: You guys seen The Prestige like in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time. And it came out during that other movie that was also about the same time, and I got I got them confused. The Illusionist was like about a guy and his lover and I think he wanted to run away with her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jessica, it was a deep impact volcano situation.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm sorry, No, I'm sorry. I mix it up.
Speaker 4: It's deep impact armageddon and it was volcano Dante's peak.
Speaker 1: Friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, I understand where you are now, your maternal animal crossing horizon exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, but yeah, though the documentary is good and now we're watching I have never seen I never watched the Queen's Gambit during cod Oh.
Speaker 2: Really, that's so good. I'm glad you're gonna get to enjoy it. It kind of like skyrocketed Anya Taylor Joy's career, and I think it's warranted because she really owned that role.
Speaker 1: She's really good. What else have I seen her in? Oh? I seen the Witch? Was the Witch before the Witch would have been before that. That's the first thing I saw her.
Speaker 2: She's a baby's teenage.
Speaker 4: The Menu and Furiosa, I think are the only things I've seen her in Dane briefly right, Dune two she was in briefly.
Speaker 1: Right, I still haven't seen that. She was in last Night and so yes, oh right, uh.
Speaker 2: Last and everything Now she's great.
Speaker 3: She's big. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Last night, Bunk and I watched Late Night with the Devil watch that I didn't. Neither of us loved it.
Speaker 1: Most was on my flight from LA recently.
Speaker 3: Oh that he's really good. Like the performances are good.
Speaker 4: It's just like the whole thing is like it's trying to do this like Blair Witch found footage type thing. But it was bugging me because I it's set in like the late seventies late night shows and that's a very specific look and like I feel like they made it four by three which would have been the aspect ratio back then. But just the cameras look too good, and just the way the cameras moved and stuff, it didn't feel like I was actually watching, Like it seems like they wanted it to look authentic, but it just looked a little too polished to actually be like a seventies found footage thing, So that kind of took me out of it.
Speaker 2: I can see that criticism. I think it it had brilliant ideas, and it is an indie, Like it's definitely like an independent film, so we have to kind of take into context, Like I think they had visions of grandeur, but at some point you can kind of just tell they didn't maybe have the budget that they wanted to do everything with it. But it's a brilliant idea. I think it's such a good idea, and I just don't think it's executed the way I would have liked it.
Speaker 3: I agree the.
Speaker 4: Concept is super duper strong, but yeah, like some of the checks they do are not great. I think there's some controversy because they used AI art for some of the like intertitial logos and stuff of the TV show.
Speaker 2: I don't know there was some like AI anger about that, but that's to me. I don't want to like get sue into that detail. For me, I was like, whatever, is the movie good? And the movie is like, there's some misses. For me, it is entertaining. Like if someone was like, it's Spoop Tober season, I want a quick scare. It's free on some service, I would be like, yes, watch it. I probably wouldn't like recommend paying twenty bucks to rent it, but I think it's I thought it was like decent watch for an evening, but I also found it disappointing. Now, if you like authentic camera work, have you seen The Holdovers.
Speaker 3: That's one of the Paul Jimani you right, yes, and it's.
Speaker 2: Not a horror movie. The Holdovers is one of the most phenomenal films made in recent years in my opinion, and it is made with authentic film cameras from that time. All of the cameras in it are like seventies cameras, and you can tell it looks fucking great. It ain't a filter. They filmed it on like that original film, and it looks awesome.
Speaker 1: Soundtrack, the cars, the clothing like it. It's awesome, and it's Tech. It's set during Christmas, so we've actually like started watching it yearly on Christmas. It's become autradition. Awesome.
Speaker 3: I've heard great.
Speaker 2: Things and awesome, Dude, it's pretty All the performances are good.
Speaker 1: It gets heavy, but you know it's earned. It's really good.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know what else that director has made is Sideways, a movie about wine, Oh Frado.
Speaker 2: He loves Paul Giamatti. He's a really good actor. And in this one, I feel like, at least in Sideways, like they're like you're like a young buck who's like out to score and like you get yourself into some trouble. In this one, they're like you're like a decrepit, ugly teacher that no one loves. And he's like he's got this like weird eye.
Speaker 1: Everyone hates him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like, all right, that's me. Like he's really earned this role.
Speaker 3: Have you heard the story about him with Planet of the Apes?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: But I mean, oh my god, so I already loved him, and then I've read this anecdote recently, so basically remember the like two thousand and one Marky mark uh Planet, the Tim Burton one that was fucking terrible yeah. Yeah, So Jimmati's in it and he plays an ape, and I need to find this actual quiot because basically his agent really wanted Okay, this is a quote from Paul Gimonti.
Speaker 3: I was obsessed with the plan.
Speaker 4: Of the Apes movies as a kid, so the notion that I could be in one of those was mind blowing to me. My agents were like, don't you think you should play a human so they can see your face? And I was like, if you tell them I want to play a human in this, I will fucking kill all of you. I'm going to play an ape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's dedicated. I love that guy knows what he wants and he runs straight at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that real stern opinion to be an ape.
Speaker 4: Last week, you know what we do our Tuesday movie nights. Last week, Mary, we did the Substance.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested. I'm very invested in how you fucking I've been thinking about it since I saw it.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: It's a very subtle movie, and I understood all of the metaphors and symbolism.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Really, what am I trying to say here?
Speaker 2: Lets you know its point. I mean, it is Hammer's home all of those points. Towards the last I don't know, five minutes, maybe ten minutes, you're like, what are we doing here anymore?
Speaker 4: The end was fucking incredible, and what they waste no time and like the whole concept this isn't a spoiler, because this is the concept of the movie, is like you take this substance and it makes like a younger version of you, and like they don't waste a single frame of that movie being.
Speaker 3: Like, well here's how it works. They're just like, here it is. Do you want to take it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Now you're young? You know.
Speaker 2: They never even discussed payment, which I found really interesting about this film. Yeah, there's no exchange. At no point does she sign a contract I think, or like is there like me talk, literally no information because this movie they like decided early on they were like, well we don't give a shit about any of that. They don't need to. They cut out all the middlemen. There's no middleman in this. It's just straight up like this is what I want. I want everyone to know that this is the only thing I care about. And then like the implications of that, and then I would say, just a complete slow burned downfall of everybody involved. It is a horrible visual to wad.
Speaker 4: There's some horrible like Dennis Quaid his character is. This is how subtle the movie is. He's a super sleazy, misogynistic film executive named Harvey.
Speaker 3: That's how subtle this movie My name is Honestly.
Speaker 2: I mean he kind of has a McMahon look to him.
Speaker 3: I had that thought many times.
Speaker 2: Yes, his very first shot and this is nothing is an accident in this but his very first introduction is him pissing in a urinal with a fish eye lens and his face is like in the fucking lens while he's pissing, and he's just like, she's too old, nobody wants to fuck her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so gross. And then like he's ah and he's talking to.
Speaker 4: Her and he's just like eating all this shrimp and it's super close up on his mouth. It is the least this movie is a sledgehammer. It is fucking awesome. Though, Like Mary, I was with you the whole time. I remember like in the middle you talked about how like it kind of goes up and down in terms of like it's so gratuitous.
Speaker 3: In the middle, its sobody's.
Speaker 4: Like there's Margaret Qualley's ass, just like over and over and over again, and then it's like by the end, it's just like all that like gratuitous like ooh butts and boobs.
Speaker 3: By the end, it's like, oh God, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember saying when I was like, I don't know if I was pitching this to you, but like my reaction to it was, I love this film. This is so interesting. I hate this film. They have lost the plot. Oh I love this film. They played me like a fiddle and they knew me very well, and I was just like wondering, is that your ride as well? Where Like at some point actually was like I literally said out loud, I don't like this movie, and then by the end I changed my mind.
Speaker 4: I think it is all earned because it's like it is so cartoonish, like when Margaret quality takes over again.
Speaker 3: No big spoilers here anything, but you know, it's like a workout sha.
Speaker 4: The hot one, yeah, like Demi Moore was like an aging yeah, like Jane Fonda style workout video thing. And it's so funny because its supposed to be this workout video, but every single move that Margaret Poley is doing is like tits and camera tits and camera squat squat squat, and it's just it's like it is the it's so so gratuitous that it's intentional, and but that is just kind of the point of the movie and where it goes and everything. So yeah, yeah, I felt like it was earned.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, I had. I had a real visceral reaction to that film, and I think they wanted you to write like they really wanted to make sure you ya got it. But I believe to me more one uh first award for her acting in that, and I also thought that was quite earned because I think that's a very difficult role to accept as an aging actress, which is like, here's a role in which you're you're an aging actress. Aren't you perfect for this role of an aging actress that will give up anything to look a little younger, And then we're gonna have this hot actress with a fat ass be you and have all the sex scenes or like all the hot scenes with her ass. But when we want to show someone who's like destroying themselves mentally and physically and is old, it's you also full nudity you in and she was like sure, and she did it, and I just think she really own it well.
Speaker 4: Her speech at the Golden Globes is really good because it kind of touched on all that stuff about being like an aging actress in Hollywood and like you know, her agents and people saying like, hey, you're not going to get these roles anymore, but like you ever heard a win for this, and it's super deserved.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: As soon as you turn thirty six, your options are to be Jim Carrey's wife, or like the dead mother of someone who wants to like get revenge. That's it, like you're or like a really old uh grandma in the you know who's like in the crowd clapping yeah, because the prince has done something good.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Those are your three options.
Speaker 4: There was a good uh Niki Glazier at a joke at the Golden Globes about how like, oh, when you turned you know, fifty, as a woman in Hollywood, you're pretty much on the way out. If you're if you're if you're a man and you're fifty, congrats you're about to play Sidney Sweeney's boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's true. I mean it's ridiculous, Like I mean, they're all doing great and like good for these old men, the cloonies, the pits, they're all killing it. But I think like they're is something to be said. It is way younger than fifty. That joke is silly, Like literally as soon as you twear and I turn, I want to say, like thirty seven, thirty eight. As a woman, they're just like, you get nothing except for mom options and your parts will be very flat.
Speaker 4: I saw this Demi Moore kind of comeback story a lot like Mickey Rourke because he had been gone for a long time and he came back for the wrestler, which was also just like, hey, you're going to play this like beat up piece of meat, just this old loser, you know, who's just an idiot and it's a idiot's maybe not the word, but you know. It's a similar thing where it's this big actor that had disappeared for like a while and then comes back with this like very well regarded role.
Speaker 3: Like I love seeing that stuff.
Speaker 1: Darren Aronofski did that again with Brendan Fraser with a whale. Oh right, I don't know that there's any parallel between Brendan Fraser and the guy's life in the Whale. I have not seen that movie. I have no intention either.
Speaker 2: My problem with seeing something like that is that it's so heavy, and I usually watch I'm not saying I can't watch a heavy movie. I think Kheimer is heavy, and I just loved that film. I think there's something about watching like a character suffer for two hours for just being a shitty person.
Speaker 1: I read a lot, but it's just like, it doesn't feel like Aeronofski's doing anything besides just pitying the character the whole time. So what's the point? I don't know, so I gotta I don't know. I don't think I'm gonna watch it. Eric Darren Aronofsky's movies, I mean, I think you're supposed to either hate or love them. I love Black Swan, I love The Wrestler.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't watch it again. I wouldn't watch Black Swan again. Like that movie was exhausting to get through.
Speaker 4: I think I would watch it again because I was surprised with the rest of who owns.
Speaker 2: The Swan on DVD? Who owns a DVD?
Speaker 4: But like who owns I have ba on four K and The Wrestler, well the Restaurant Blu Ray Yeah, No, I mean, like, The Wrestler is a fucking depressing ass movie. But I hadn't seen it in a few years, and John Carson hadn't seen it, so he came over and we both watched it and we're like, oh, that's a five out of five, fucking like, that's one of my few five out of five's letterbox.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was in theaters and I was working in the theater and I remember seeing that. I was like, holy shit, that was amazing. And then I talked to all my friends like it fucking sucked. I was like, what we were young, I guess, so I was like, I don't know, I loved it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Spoilers for The Wrestler, which came out in two thousand and seven. If anybody wants to mute now, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like we're allowed to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's past. So I'm I'm always up for.
Speaker 3: I've heard yes, yes, oh that's right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah she is movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm think, oh, yeah she was.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she had twenty three minutes in the seventeen seconds of screen time.
Speaker 3: I think, I don't know, Yeah, it's something around there. He might be a double tention a second off.
Speaker 1: I think she snip slips that, like.
Speaker 3: You must be thinking of someone else. You're thinking of Mick.
Speaker 4: Mickey was wearing that mesh Yeah, Mickey was wearing that mesh top thing.
Speaker 3: I remember that. That must have been Mickey I'm thinking of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Was I gonna say, oh yeah? The spoilers for The Wrestler, I uh.
Speaker 4: I watched the movie and I loved it, and it wasn't until, like I swear, twelve years later or something, someone's like, oh yeah, like when he dies at the end, and I was like, what are you talking about it? Like, hey, dies at the end of that movie, isn't it doesn't he goes out, he just has his finishing move and it goes to black. I'm like, yeah, that's he died doing it. And he died in the ring like I did not under I just thought it was this triumphant like I'm gonna do my move and he's like, oh, on top of the world again, and then credits. I thought like, oh, good for him, and everyone's like, oh, he died, which also, I I don't want to just say names of movies where people die at the end.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I can't say it now, but several.
Speaker 4: Movies the main character has died at the end and I haven't realized it.
Speaker 1: Well, fuck now I have to. I was about to talk about another recent movie I saw, and now it's the spoilers because I can't bring it up now.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, everyone mute.
Speaker 4: If you were worried about spoilers for any movie, that is ridiculous. Ill Okay, this one was a sci fi movie from the late twenty tens. If you're worried about a spoiler for that, all right, everyone's muted. What here we go, Blade Runner twenty forty nine. I didn't realize Ryan Gosling died.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought he was just.
Speaker 4: Like waiting for Harrison Ford and he just laid down on the thing. It was like, it's that's nice and.
Speaker 1: Sorry dead the snow bleeding out?
Speaker 2: Yet what about the end of the thing.
Speaker 4: The end of the thing recently? Right, I was watching for the breath because you said.
Speaker 2: That man, come on this journey with me, Michael, we stop it. Stop being that way.
Speaker 1: No, what you know? Both they're both still conscious, talking to each other at the end.
Speaker 2: The dead they're dying thing, Yes, but they're going to die.
Speaker 1: Sure you're not die? Yeah, yeah, for sure, they're not getting out of there. Yeah, definitely. I also watched the character none of the characters die at the end for Challengers.
Speaker 3: Luca Guandino soundtrack for that when I'm running. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good soundtrack. Trender resor atticists Ross who do every fucking soundtrack now. So Luca Guanino, who I love, did two movies last year. He did Challengers and now I have the screener from Writers Guild for Queer, but we have not watched it yet.
Speaker 3: Challenging nice, were nice working on netflex of your screeners. Good good work, So you can.
Speaker 1: I think anybody can sign up for the Writer's Guild and get a screener if you want. I don't even know if I should have as.
Speaker 3: Part of the Writers Guild, as I have access.
Speaker 1: To my every person in our profession can easily sign up.
Speaker 3: I'm not I bet this guy knows about symbolism. I don't know what the Writer's Guild is.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what I can do?
Speaker 3: I'm not a writer.
Speaker 1: It's a very power like, very important union in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 3: What do I get out of this?
Speaker 1: Dan, What do you think that whole strike about was about like several years ago.
Speaker 4: No, I know about the AI and the actors, and I fully understand that, and yes, it's good they did that about that a lot.
Speaker 3: But like I write about Donkey Kong, like I know.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, screener aside. I haven't watched Queer yet, but I think I liked what. I want to get on this list.
Speaker 3: Now tell me how I get on this list. I'll tell you this guilder.
Speaker 1: I'll talk to you after it's it's you say it like it's a fucking fable faction that you can.
Speaker 2: You don't even know what it is, and you want to be honest.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you get free stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's for I mean, it's all water marked and it's all through like specific apps.
Speaker 3: It's only watch I have that with Netflix and stuff. I get screeners for that.
Speaker 1: But they'll often they'll give you a code for a specific streaming platform and you'll do that. It's not you just said you had it.
Speaker 4: No, I when we did, when we and Bank did the Paint in the Stream podcast, we got some cop some of them we still have, so we get early Netflix stuff with embargoes and all that, and so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, challenges are good. Oh I finally saw I saw that too. Yeah, I liked it a whole bunch. It's good.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna give it three stars. I was. I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: VI's walking the really quiet shot after the village when he's walking toward the castle and that empty carriage comes up to grab him. But the shot before that, like in the dark in the woods, one of the most gorgeous shots I can remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's several, like very stunning. There's a I'm gonna be very careful how I ward this, but there is a shot where a family is in danger and when they show what happens to everybody. I think they do it in a really clean, crisp and brutal way, but like I feel like there's just it's very desaturated and there's a lot of use of silhouettes and shadows throughout it thematically, and so I think the way they do it, it's brutal, and they don't shy away from really vivid violence of like what vampires are, which is like, they're fucking monsters, right. I personally emma hater and did not care for Lily Depp's performance. And there was like this moment where she was like yelling at her partner or whatever. They're having a little spat, and she was backing up and there was like a bookcase behind her, and I literally said to my person sitting next to me, She's she's gonna push over that bookcase, and she was just like, you know, I'm very upset about She turns around and pushes down the bookcase. It was just like, how did how did no one in this room when she was doing that performance be like, can you make it look a little less likely that you are about to throw that bookcase down?
Speaker 3: Been distracted by her? I wouldn't distract.
Speaker 4: But I also don't remember her being like, if I'm thinking performance, I'm defoe in that one was probably confusing.
Speaker 2: Was that poor casting? Because like this is controversial, but everyone in the theater was laughing at every.
Speaker 3: Time in a different movie, it doesn't seem right.
Speaker 1: Did you see the Lighthouse the Guys, uh Robert Egger's previous movie or before the Viking? Yes, And that's like all he's doing these days, is these like coutpass psychoah.
Speaker 2: Just a little psycho and the comic relief.
Speaker 1: In the movie. Of course, he's supposed to be funny.
Speaker 5: Confused, I was a bit confus he's so funny and all these people are dying.
Speaker 1: There's a scene where it's like, uh, count Oorlock, Dracula, this is doing this thing from a distance and it's awful and horrific, and then it just cut and it's like crazy loud, soaring music. Then it cuts back to Leo in the room. He's like, so the count of that, Like it's he's supposed to be funny, Like I took him as the comic relief, which that movie needs it because it's grim the whole time.
Speaker 2: A little off then sure, I think, like what I'm saying is exactly that, Like I welcome a William Dafoe in my film. I'm not saying I want him there. I'm just saying, like something really stressful would happen, and without like a break, without like a little bit of a gap, they would just cut to his fucking weird ass, grimy ass, fallen ass face and he would say something in the weirdest accent and I was laughing, and I was just I was just like, are you sure that's what you wanted?
Speaker 3: Did you laugh now and do what he wants to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: I surely told you what Bonk said about him. He'll always be dark off to me. I was just anytime his face shows up, I just can feel the seat next to me vibrating.
Speaker 3: His bond is laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's there's a scene later with Willem Dafoe where like you can tell he was just waiting to go nuts and he starts going nuts and doing his like the equivalent of the Boondock Saints, where he thinks that listening to classical music is gonna an orgasm is going when you sit in the.
Speaker 4: Fire everywhere, and he's yeah, yeah, he's That was amazing.
Speaker 1: Also, Nicholas Holt, like every time I see him in anything, he's always like just perfect for the role.
Speaker 3: What else I've seen him?
Speaker 1: The Menu mad Man, he.
Speaker 2: Plays such a weazy little worm.
Speaker 1: Same in this kind of almost but like a little bit like more disguising the fact that he's a huge baby. He's just dumb in this.
Speaker 2: I hope he's not type cast as like a weasly little worm. But like every time I see him, I'm always like, there's that weasley little runt.
Speaker 1: He was nuts and have a one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was always kind of just scraping by in the roles that he was playing. But I think he's a fantastic actor. It's unfortunate, do you know, like people who it's not their fall, it's just like their face and just kind of type cast them. They are people who are type cast as bullies or type cast is like idiots because of the way they look. And I think he's type cast as like a little weasel boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I in that vein. I also cannot imagine Lily depth being in anything besides like a gothic Victorian era bottom car like a doll kind of which you could tell they down surface. Like, yeah, the way they did her makeup, I like that movie quite a bit.
Speaker 2: It's like they put her forehead in a bowling ball shiner. They really accentuated.
Speaker 1: What is Do you have some underlying problem with Lily Depp and some resentment of some sort.
Speaker 2: I think I'm a hater.
Speaker 1: I just like shiner, like the cloth such a.
Speaker 3: Funny like are they doing this to her?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Not have the machines, or you put a corner and you just dunk her head in it like a sorely.
Speaker 2: So glaring. I don't know. I was unimpressed with the performance, but I still really liked the film.
Speaker 1: I also did not realize that was Bill scars Guard until after the movie. He's becoming like the new horror monster dude because he did a Pennywise. Yeah, he was also he was also I don't know, there's.
Speaker 4: All these scars Guards that popped up out of nowhere, Like I never heard scars Guard until like five or six years ago, and then there's nineteen of them and they're in everything.
Speaker 1: Well stelling scars Guard was always in everything. He was You've seen him all their dad. He was in pirates like Caribbean Girl with Dragon Tattoo, which we just rewatched the other night. What else.
Speaker 3: I don't think I saw the pirate stuff he was in.
Speaker 1: He was in, he was a couple. He was like Orlando Bloom's dad and Pirates the Caribbean. He's in a lot more and blanking right now. But the guard Guard was also a Barbarian. He was the other Airbnb guest at the beginning.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that you haven't seen Barbarians.
Speaker 1: You should, dude, you have.
Speaker 3: Never heard of this? What is barbarias?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Really funny? Yeah? Yeah, no, no spoilers twenty twenty, don't look it up.
Speaker 3: Don't look up twenty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, stop, don't else watch barb movie night.
Speaker 2: Be very careful your audience at home. Barbarians, google Barbarian just watch it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know it was on HBO.
Speaker 1: Or Max or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's on now, but like, if you look, if you look it up, you're gonna fuck it up for yourself and your family.
Speaker 3: I added the list and I had not looked up anything else.
Speaker 1: It is a well done horror movie.
Speaker 2: It's all yeah, that's yeah, that's fair. That's fair, and that is I think apparent in the first fifteen seconds. Like it is. It is a scary movie and it's very good.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear your reactions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't mean to be the person like, oh, you haven't seen this. I'm surprised you haven't because I feel like you would like it.
Speaker 3: I've never been a big horror guy.
Speaker 1: You know, it's yeah again, unless you know I think for this the better I think. Yeah, I would be surprised if Bonk hasn't seen it, But if she hasn't, I feel like she would really like it.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watch that, but yeah, Bill Scars guards in that.
Speaker 3: And then was the one that was in the succession.
Speaker 1: Who was the guy from the Viking? His brother?
Speaker 3: Okay, what's the other scars Guard's name?
Speaker 2: The oldest boy.
Speaker 3: That was the guy that was like the head of the.
Speaker 1: Norwegian dude or finished.
Speaker 2: Norwegian guy Norwegian Swedish scars Yeah, he was in the Viking.
Speaker 1: He was the Viking Alexander scars Guard the Norman.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That movie is really good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Actually, I did not love that movie.
Speaker 2: It's I didn't care for it either.
Speaker 1: I thought Robert Egger's previous movie Ford after the Vampire, thought it was The White House.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do need to get letterbox. I like letterbox. I want to see your just your scores. You don't have to write anything.
Speaker 2: No, I'm doing it right now. I'm telling you my opinion.
Speaker 3: This is its work.
Speaker 1: Man. Oh you're all night. The furnace is back together.
Speaker 2: Furnace is back on.
Speaker 4: Speaking of horror movies, Jake, Jake, can you look at every syllable I say from this point on and please knock out the furnace, thanks, Jake.
Speaker 2: Nothing that can be done. It's just a horrible pipe that looks feels like it's leaking gas into your house and you.
Speaker 3: Die thirty for a while.
Speaker 2: Put on a sweater. You fucking not cold.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying I'm not cold because of this furnace. It gets bank be all cold upstairs.
Speaker 1: You know what it sounds like, you know what?
Speaker 6: You playing bonk on your fucking port and you have no sound baffling, and you are a fun entertainer in your room for a living.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm just starting with this.
Speaker 1: Stuff sounds someone is in that closet folding and unfolding an ironing board. That makes sense, It doesn't every every It sounds like there's a robot laughing along with you.
Speaker 4: Let's just get a nice clean read of the furnace here. You can't it only okay, because yeah, it's the noise gate thing. Yeah, okay, Well it's only that I never stopped talking.
Speaker 1: You guys want to talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Sure, fucking furnace.
Speaker 1: It's really good. It's really scraping Mary's ear drums.
Speaker 2: It's so ir, it's my, it's my. What eating is to Mike, it's just like this trigger whistle.
Speaker 3: I'm in the room with it. It's always more reason.
Speaker 2: For you to solve the problem. I love that your answer was I don't know how to turn off a fern. I don't, and I'm not going to let my wife freeze to death.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, I think you just have to actually try to beat down. Okay, Dan, I need an update. Are you still playing Red Dead two?
Speaker 4: I am. I haven't had as much time to play, uh since last time, but I have been like, if I have like a free night, that's when I settle in I play. Yeah, I'm like eighteen hours in now, starting to kind of get outside of that first main camp area, going to you know, rescue guys, rescue Micah from Strawberry and kind of getting the crew back together and everything, kind of going back into black Water and seeing now it's all, you know, real hot there in terms of you know, the crime situation. But yeah, no, still playing it, still enjoying it. I wouldn't say any big updates or revelations or anything like that. It's just uh, I do feel like I'm doing it right this time, and I do not think it's going to be a thing where I'm suddenly like this is the best game ever. But I think it is going to go from me just saying it's a piece of ship game every time it comes up to me being like, it's a really really it's a really good game.
Speaker 3: But it's not going to be for everyone. And there are things that still annoy me about it. Okay, very mature. Yeah, I understand symbolism though you're just noble.
Speaker 1: I'm noble.
Speaker 3: I don't want to use the word hero.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I think I said that earlier, and I think you did.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of the emails did.
Speaker 4: We had to like kind of call the emails because most of them were just calling me a hero.
Speaker 1: What does Mary always say that whenever you say something.
Speaker 2: Dan is a piece of ship?
Speaker 3: No, I think you know, I say something and.
Speaker 2: You say is a piece of ship.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to clip that.
Speaker 1: It'd be funny clip. Uh good to hear Mary. You beat Silent Hill, by the way, I know how Silent Hill. Do you still like it now that it's over?
Speaker 2: I still like it. I'm glad it's over. I just think that that is a long time to be really stressed about legs.
Speaker 4: And the symbolism though, tell me about the symbolism. I heard there's a lot in that game sexual assault.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, what's what's.
Speaker 2: The It's mostly sex related innuendo sexual violence. I would say it is probably like the better term holes are repeated throughout that can also be maybe referred to like going further and further into hell, but a lot of it is sexual violence.
Speaker 4: That's it's pretty wild for big budget for a big budget game made by Konami, when Kanami was a big deal. That's the wild tonally in subject matter wise, to put out back then.
Speaker 2: I can't believe they got the rights. I think that they didn't know.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like one of those things where they probably played like a snippet of it and they were like these nurses are and they're also hot and their titties are out, and then towards the end they were like this, son of a bitch, Yeah, this is really dangerous. And there's like, I mean, the themes, I want to be really careful here, but like the themes are also about like young girls like it's fucked up, and like it is a really hard to process game, especially towards the end. Like the more you get into it, the more you're like, oh, this is so gutting. It's so draining. People are miserable, and I got apparently I got the good ending and it's fucking devastating. It's really bad. And my chat was like, yeah, you that's a good ending. Everyone's dead. It's a real miserable. It's actually reminds me of something that you wouldn't get, Like it was one of those endings where he's just like he's like crying and he's like really miserable. Then it like it goes to black and then you hear like these no, and you probably would have been like, well, I hope he has a good life. I know, specifically I finds himself.
Speaker 4: One day, I was in person with Kayla as she'd be the last four hours that game, and we both I watched every second and it ended, and me and Kayla were like, well, that's a spooky town.
Speaker 3: What the hell was that about?
Speaker 4: And then Chad had to explain it to us, like, this is what that was about. Here's the metaphor here and Kayla and I both gone, Oh, that's fucking sad and traumatic. That's wow.
Speaker 2: Is the spooky town?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't want to go there on my vacation.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that mansion was full of zombies.
Speaker 3: Actually waits nuts. Resident Evel's actually.
Speaker 1: Just stupid, right, are you serious?
Speaker 3: Yes? Underlying? Oh you fuck her?
Speaker 4: Okay, it's about capitalism or something. Everything's about fucking capitalism.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's.
Speaker 2: About the war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which war? All of them?
Speaker 3: Damn the war on the middle class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wid the gap.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm glad.
Speaker 4: That Chris Redfield is the everyman wescar Is Trump.
Speaker 1: Really really prescient game? Long before he ever talked about running Umbrella is Elon Yep. Spencer is also trus Twitter. Yeah wow, whooa Yeah, crimson heads are crimson heads? Are You would have.
Speaker 2: Known that if you knew good movies?
Speaker 4: And yeah, yeah, crimson edger Trump's second term because he thought he was gone.
Speaker 3: You can't he can run for doors? Yeah wow, we're a political smart podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trump, and now that he's back, he can use doors.
Speaker 4: They can run through doors. Now they have to keep replacing them at the White House.
Speaker 1: Barrels through them secret service, just as to up their cardio to follow him around. He's sprinting around the White House opening doors.
Speaker 7: He was in a volcano and fucking Lodgers came and yeah, yeah, I really do like how Chris Redfield goes from this every man person who just stumbled onto a into a mansion in the woods because his helicopter got shot down, and then he's punching a boulder in Africa.
Speaker 3: It's a good series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: It's very good.
Speaker 1: Uh Resumel to remake, I think is one of like the best games period. What am I playing? Oh, i'm playing?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: I finished. I finished Dishonored, the first one. I'm doing the DLC. Now. I forgot how abruptly and badly that first game ended you could tell they were just getting ready for the DLC. But also I forgot how much I'm Dishonner two is just I used to like be split between which one I liked, but god, Dishuner two is much better. But it was still fun going back to see those missions and Dishonor one seeing the kernel of what would become some of the sequels in the DLC's really good missions. So that's gone sort of in the immersive sim vain and talk speaking of level design, I'm also playing the embargo went up this morning for Sniper Elite Resistance. Yeah, if you are a Sniper Elite fan. For those who don't know, it's third person sniper series set in World War Two, and each new mainline game kind of goes from a different theater of war, generally speaking during World War Two. But the levels are sandboxes kind of in this the vein that they are in Dishonored or hit Man. They're like immersive sim levels. Resistance is feels like a just big expansion pack to five. So you are a different character. I believe he's Scottish, but you are helping the French resistance during Nazi occupation. I've done four levels and again.
Speaker 2: Always find a way to put Nazi occupation in there. Yeah, that way you don't feel bad about shooting them in.
Speaker 3: Their balls slow mo style.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have not turned off SloMo yet.
Speaker 4: I crank them all all the way up in those games every super frequent and yeah, I want to see it. Literally why I play those games. I just want to see Hitler's ball explode.
Speaker 1: But the level, the level design of those games are phenomenal. In Resistance, I will say the game I'm playing on a PC, it feels pretty messy right now. A there's no big mechanical innovation since five, which is fine, not that you need it. I kind of was just hoping for more levels, which is what it is. The first one, you are it's like GoldenEye, You're going to destroy this dam so you can mess up anti aircraft so these bombers can come. In the second one, it's more traditional French countryside town that you're sneaking in and out of apartments. In the design conceit there is that there are these underground tunnels connecting the whole map. So once you start to learn the underground tunnel system, you can pop up kill one of your side mission targets, go back into the tunnels up here on the other side of town. I could see going back to that mission to try to master those. Now I'm on one that's a combination of a train station or rally yard and a big hotel where this Nazi party is happening, not the Nazi party, but like a party for Nazis, And uh, that was pretty cool. It's got it's got like Saboteur Vibes Color Palte. You played that game.
Speaker 3: I like that game. Yeah, me too. So what d I think Saboteur had nipple DLC?
Speaker 1: You can add nipples to the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm searching for Saboteur nipple DLC.
Speaker 3: Yep. It's called Midnight Show.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they put DLC nipples.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's correct, Midnight show.
Speaker 4: Midnight Show is the name of the DLC. Yes, DLC that adds nudity to the game. Extra hiding spot.
Speaker 2: Keeps repeating what you say so that it makes more sense. Nipples you say, you say midnight you say.
Speaker 4: Launch DLC that allows players to toggle nudity on and off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can go on and off.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Oh.
Speaker 4: You go to the Unlocks, the secret basement of Sean Devlin's favorite strip club. You can play a mini game to earn some extra cash and watch a saucy nude dance from one of three Bucksome French girls, or all three at once if you're feeling frisky.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you're feeling frisky. Yeah, I back to what I was saying before. Sniper Elite Resistance is it's fun to see the new levels. However, it is pretty janky. I will be crouch walking along a building on the edge of this courtyard, and I have just quick loaded because I know this nazis about to turn around and see me. And as I'm getting to the top of these stairs to get into a building, I just hitch on the last step while I'm crouched, so I have to stand up in order to walk through the door. He, unlike Trump, does not know how to use doors in this game sometimes, so I then reveal myself and I don't have any other choice. I have a choice. I could go around, but I'm just being stubborn. So that's not the game's fault. But yeah, it's just I'm getting caught on geometry in a way that reminds me of like Assassin's Creed Unity. Maybe not that bad, but bad enough. Where in a stealth game, in a sniper game game about precision, Yeah, you don't want like in a stealky if you get discovered, you want to feel like you fucked up, not the game. Yeah, So again, I don't know. I don't know if there's a Day one patch that's that will have been out today. Other than that the game's running smoothly, like really well, it's you know, it's it's good otherwise, but if you're expecting anything other than a big expansion pack, which if you're like me, that's you're fine with that because you like Sniper Leet five so much, you might be disappointed. But it's it's good so far.
Speaker 2: Now, what advancements have they made to enemies balls?
Speaker 1: I have not shot anybody in the balls yet. I did.
Speaker 4: However, Amanda bash, that's right.
Speaker 1: Hear me out. I did not tell Amanda the the gimmick in that game. So I was like, watch, we shoot this Nazzi in the head, and there's a sniper up in this bell tower across town, and I I triple check that there was no one that would hear my gunshot from where I was, which is the best feeling ever when you actually pull it off, and then all of a sudden it's slow motion. She's like, oh, it's like a Michael Bay kind of slimmo. And then all of a sudden it goes into his head and then the skull gets the X ray.
Speaker 3: She's like, a, yeah, it's video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: So funny too, because like it is like a very well thought out game, but ultimately, like these compilations that I made on game Spot, We're all ball Bay.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: It was like top ten Ballbusters, Sniper Leaf.
Speaker 1: That's the best. That was me.
Speaker 4: I turn it to the easiest setting, no enemy vision anything, no one knows they're blind, they're deaf, and they all have just balls that are not ruptured yet. That's how I said every setting, and then I just go ball hunting.
Speaker 2: Going on a ball hunt.
Speaker 3: That's that whole series. To me. I played like five of those games just hunting balls.
Speaker 2: I'm always hunting balls. I think that that game is so funny and it is gimmicky in that sense, but that's also excellent marketing, right, Like, I don't know how many people would genuinely be like I know exactly what game that is. But when you say Sniper Elite, everyone's like, Oh, that's the one where you can shoot them in the balls and it shows like the X ray of their balls.
Speaker 4: Exploded and they do like DLC of like Hitler's Retreat and it's like, oh, he's at his vacation chateau and it's like peterful and swim trunks with like a drink and sunglasses.
Speaker 1: They're gonna shoot him his nuts. Yeah, you know what they're selling. Hitler is on vacation in this matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, balls are about to be on vacation from his fucking scroed him.
Speaker 1: I'm about to send him and Eva both on vacation to Hell. Yeah but no, I mean it's again. If it's it's exactly what you expect, just some rough edges Right now, I'm still enjoying it. Yeah, I I some of the level design from that team is up there with the best dishonoreds and Hitman's uh sniper leet five the Chateau St. Michelle one. Did you play that game? Five?
Speaker 4: I think so they've got Yeah, Grub did the co op thing where we're both hunting Hitlers together.
Speaker 1: Co Op is super fun in those games. It's got the causeway into the town like off the Coast. It's it's an actual place. But that mission is amazing. That you go up the hill to the church. That's that ranks right up there with Clockwork mansion and cracking the slab from dishonor too for me.
Speaker 4: When you are exploring these levels, Mike and France, do you frequently think about wine?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I do.
Speaker 1: I actually have been doing this thing in video games. When I see there's a wine model and a seller or something, I look at what they did with the label. Yeah, there's no labels on these ones.
Speaker 4: What is the twisted metal to Paris level where you can blow up the Eiffel Tower and make you think of wine wise.
Speaker 1: And the nineteen forty seven Bordeaux.
Speaker 3: Oh yep, me too, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The legendary vintage. Yeah, naturally twisted metal would remind me of it. Yeah, but another you can they there's several different wine bottles they use in Black Op six in the Casino heist mission. You can look at those. They did some pretty good label work.
Speaker 4: Leo Vader did a video once where I think it was a it might have been Rainbow six Siege where he went around to all of the like food and drink and all the levels and like just did a deep dive on like here's this wicker basket of beans, here's this label of this wine thing, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, what an interesting take?
Speaker 1: What was the take?
Speaker 3: Just look at this food.
Speaker 1: It's not a take. Just look at this stuff I looked at.
Speaker 3: I've been like a long time since I saw it. I'm sure it's smarter, and I'm describing it. I just really Leo's great.
Speaker 1: Leo cool your jets, dude, We're not ready for this kind of fucking opinion right now.
Speaker 3: It had to be.
Speaker 4: Pored to it than that, because I remember thinking like this is genius.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, no, I'm sure it was. For the record, I'm not making fun of Leo and making fun of you. Leo's work is amazing, and then people should be familiar with it. If they're not.
Speaker 3: Yes, his hip.
Speaker 1: Man stuff is always well, you guys did stuff together. The challenges to I think about that game World Assassination, those games on a nightly basis.
Speaker 3: You should.
Speaker 1: We got to do like some sort of bonus contaent with it. I don't give a fuck if we steal hits, miss something like that.
Speaker 3: That's I came up with that. It's sealing.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: I can do it with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to do like that, which reminds me. At the end of the episode, we have something to promo. Speaking of uh, next Lander, I guess is the best way to segue Dan, what else you're playing?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I started playing Blade Chimera, which I've been on a real Metroid Vania kick lately with the Dominant collection and now Blade Camera. It's a kind of one of those you know, it's that aesthetic where it's like, oh, you've got guns and plasma guns and swords, and it's just like, I don't know if you call it. It's definitely like a sci fi metroid Vanya. And it's cool because you've got square and circle. You can put weapons in each of those. If you want a gun and the gun, you can do that. If you want a gun and a sword, you can do that an assault rifle, and you know, you can decide what you want there close range, far range, whatever. But then on triangle you have lux which is this like spirit sword. I think like the Skywrid sword, you know, turns into a lady. Sometimes it's the sword and it has its own abilities. Wait what are you laughing at?
Speaker 1: What? And oh, Skyward sword?
Speaker 3: I thought you a spirit in the sword? Yeah, okay, yeah, it comes out and talks to you. Yeah, it's like yeah, fee, It's like it's the sword that turn.
Speaker 1: Into talking about tears of the Kingdom. And with those games, you could have said that the sword can send out a lady, and I would have believed you because there's so much shit in that game I haven't.
Speaker 4: Seen sure, So like what no No sword turns into it's a spirit sword that turns into a lady and and she gets all sorts of abilities too, and it's got that like Doom Eternal kind of like AMMO and health economy where it's like if you kill with standard weapons guns and swords, you get lux energy for your Spirit sword.
Speaker 3: If you kill with the Spirit Sword, you get health.
Speaker 4: And so it's just a lot of looking at your bars up there and being like I need this, I need this, I'll use this, I'll use that, and uh yeah, unlocking different abilities extuft for the sword itself, which is really cool. The sword can be a grappling hook. The sword can turn into a thing that like can remember in like singularity or that uh like remember you could like reverse time like oh this box that got crushed or it goes back in time and now it's like that type of stuff, like reverting things from the past. So like the Stoord, basically that triangle button has a lot you can do, uh contextually, depending on where you're at.
Speaker 1: It's on sale or it's on sale right now in a bundle with Bloodstained. Oh that's it's like generation of metro Vania Bundle.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck.
Speaker 4: If you haven't played Bloodstain, that's a no brainer because Bloodstains I still with like Castlevanias.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it's incredible.
Speaker 1: I watched you play a lot for Giant Bombies, but I haven't played.
Speaker 4: It's super good. But yeah, this is who I'm two or three hours in now to this. I don't think it's gonna be a super long one based on like the map percentage of at now, but great boss fight. It's good look to it kind of gets right into it. Not a lot of exposition or anything like that, but just I don't know, Like I feel like a lot of Metroid Veaneas have similar aesthetics and everything, and I think this handles the kind of like future sci fi ish thing in a way that kind of looks like its own and the spirit sorts stuff, like I really like how that lux works.
Speaker 3: With your more traditional weapons. It's a it's a really cool so far.
Speaker 1: It's a cool looking game. It honestly looks like at a distance, the graphics themselves look like kind of the background of a beat them up.
Speaker 3: Oh, I could see that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little like kind of Saturn era maybe, like yeah, yeah. It's also got some quality of life stuff where it's like, you know, all these metro venias, it's so much like I need to find a saved room where I'm gonna lose all this progress and level ups I've been doing.
Speaker 3: This one.
Speaker 4: You can like fucking warp most anywhere on the map. Like one of the first things you can unlock is just like, yeah, just warp wherever you want to of like places you've been to instead of like only using special teleport rooms or you know, transit rooms or whatever. But it's just been feels great, plays awesome on steam Deck. I've only played with Unsteam Deck, but yeah, very much enjoying it so far.
Speaker 1: Oh it's great Soka.
Speaker 2: You can tell because of the roofs right, Like they have that like classic Osaka roof tile set for a lot of their styles. It looks really nice up the boss fights looktrip too. I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: Those roofs are awesome.
Speaker 4: Also, the thing you can do with the sword too is like really cool platforming stuff where it's like if you're jumping at a wall that doesn't have a ledge you can jump onto. You can hold in why or triangle to throw it into the wall and then climb onto it, so you can kind of like make your own little platform with a sword, or if you do down in triangle, it like creates a little bubble around you that'll project you against projectiles. So like there's just a lot of different ways you can approach different fights and boss fights and everything. So just it feels really cool planet.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? Oh man, maybe you two would know this is going to be the worst description ever. There was this game I really liked. I fucking beat it. I want to say it was twenty nineteen or twenty twenty. It was really colorful side scrolling. I think it was like a I don't know that it was a METROIDVNA. I think you can assign you gather characters and then you you assign them to each face button, so you're fighting with one and.
Speaker 3: Then nobody saves the world.
Speaker 1: No. I love that game. I knew that game. It was earlier than that. It was like a year or two before. It'll come to me at some point, but basically, you're fighting with one character, but then you press circle and all of a sudden, the other character comes out does their ultimate and it was like an indie game. Ah man, I wrote about it, I think for Polygon, but I wouldn't even know what to google to find it. I'll figure it out. It's just something about the art style here. The color palette reminded me of that game which I really liked but forgot the name of Mary. What else have you been playing?
Speaker 2: I was playing Dome Keeper. I was looking for a tower defense or like something that I wanted something. So this is not like a new game. This came out a couple years ago and I never played it, and I was looking for something that just allowed me to have a simple premise.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You never have like one of those nights where you're like, I want to put on some crap on TV that I'm not actually watching. I want to sit on my couch and I want to play something on my Steam deck that won't kill me if I'm not fully paying attention. But I do want to like enjoy it. Okay, I actually really like dome Keeper. Here's the concept. You are digging. You're like digging into the earth to find raw materials. The raw materials help you upgrade your digging, your flying, and your carryability, which is also very important because then you can carry more materials. But every like sixty seconds, something attacks your dome, and so you got to hurry back to your dome so that you can use a laser to like laser them in the face and get rid of them. Each wave gets slightly more difficult, so you need to hurry up. The second the wave is over, I'm like back down in the ground digging up more raw materials. There's three different types of materials. There's like gold or I think they've been calling it or but like let's be real, it's like essentially like just currency one. And that helps you get stuff like buying a better laser, upgrading your character so that they can carry fly faster. Oh, the drill needs to be stronger because as you progress outwards, these are all procedurally generated. So the core part, like as you're as you're starting out, that's like really loose rock and you can get through it. But once you get beyond that, you can't dig through that rocket takes forever, so you need to upgrade your drill. That's all or So your first currency. Second currency is usually some kind of like I use it mostly to get health back, so to repair a repair currency that comes in handy because you is a brutal game and you get viciously attacked. So there are so many times in this game where I was like barely making it just by the scrape of my teeth through like some of these horrible monster fights. And then I would repair a bunch and go back into the minds to dig for more crap. And then the third currency I think is why, which is a really interesting one, and that one helps with your defense, so you can make your dome stronger, you can get like nice quality of life things. The very first thing I ever invested in was let me know when the next monster attack is, which is great, just so you don't forget to go and defend your dome when you need to. By the end of this game, I want to say, like games are anywhere from like thirty five forty minutes to like an hour. Maybe I think they're shorter than that, but generally, like it's just a nice slice of completing a game. You have to get further and further into the minds, upgrade your character, and then before you know it, you like uncover an ancient artifacty type thing, you gotta dig that shit out. You have to turn it on. So you have to like dig out all the batteries and shit and turn them on. And then when you do that, you can take that bad Boy home and then you like, you get a giant wave of monsters. If you can survive the giant wave of monsters, you win. It's so electric. I actually fucking love it. I can't believe I never played it before. I don't know how I stumbled across this bad Boy, but like, I'm obsessed with Domekeeper because I really like the dynamic of digging and like upgrading my character, but also being like I gotta get home because the flying fuckers are gonna come and kill my dome. It's really good.
Speaker 4: I feel like every time someone's subscribed this game to me, and in the last few years, I feel like so many people have recommended it. It always sounds very interesting and sounds like something that I would personally like.
Speaker 2: A lot, and I think you would fucking love it.
Speaker 4: I think I would, And I think that every time someone's recommended it to me, I've just had other stuff like piled up.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Now that it's kind of a light, you know, time of year right now, maybe a light Well, I guess that's why I'm playing Red Dead too, so maybe want something with that. Hopefully it'll still be light. But I haven't meet. I've had a note on my phone to check this out for like I feel a couple of years now. Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it's great on Steam Deck, so if like that helps in any way. I think it's like an easy game on the go. It's an easy game on the couch. I say easy to like pick up. It's a very difficult to play game. It has four levels of difficulty. The game tells you play it on brutal, don't play it on normal, don't play it on hard, play it on brutal. That's what the game tells me to do. So that's what I did. I die a lot. I do not survive this game quite often. It has really good end game as well, so like after you like win for the first time, they're like, here's some upgrades. Now we're really mixing it up. Every time you win, it lets you uncover a new Uh. I guess you're a domed defender, So like you get a new defender and there's like a guy who's like magic and he can like I don't know, he carries things differently, and he can like change gravitational pull whatever. There's different domes. There's one that instead of a laser, it's a fucking sword, and so I have to manually raise the sword and drop it on monsters to kill them. And I can also shoot the sword with like a cord on the end of it to kill the flying monsters. That's pretty fun. There's different ways to play. So the one that I was telling you, the generic one that's called Relic Hunter, you're getting a relic that's deep inside the earth. But there's lots of different ways to play. They have ones where they're just like get two hundred or before time runs out, and there's ones that are like, instead of giving you a wave of monsters every minute, we're not gonna do a wave of monsters for eighteen minutes. Then we're gonna fucking blast your ass with like eighteen rounds of monsters at once, which is really fun to prepare for. I've I've been playing it a lot. I've been kind of enjoying the different challenges that this game has given me. I will say, like at some point, I get a little tired of mining. It's the same old, same old. But like, if you're looking for a monotonous game that tells you to mind shit and upgrade your character and then fight monsters, this is it.
Speaker 4: I'd like the act of digging in games like Same World Digs, Flucky Dig Dug, like a drill dozer Minecraft, Like there is something very satisfying about just like I'm just gonna dig here for a while. You're right, those are the perfect games to just like I've got something on in the background.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty mindless. And it's also a roguelike, so like if you're playing it before bed and you fucking die, then you're like, all right, well I'm going to bed now, Like there's nothing to get really that upset about. Similar to Splunky, right, Like you were like, do a round a Splunky and you just kid absolutely annihilated. You're not mad, You're just like, well it happens, and then you can then you you play again or you quit. And this is what this game makes me feel. Like I've never like died in this game and been like this is such bullshit. Like a kid, it's just like, oh well that sucks. I lost twenty minutes. I guess I'll just do it again, and you just do it again.
Speaker 1: You just do.
Speaker 4: That's one of the great things about Rogue Lights, is it do you have these very sectioned off just like I got one more run in me. Let's see how this goes? Like I just naturals stopping points in Rogue Lights. I love that I.
Speaker 2: Got thirty minutes to kill. I don't want to call my family. I'm three beers deep. Let's go, I really did. I do think this game is well designed. You can tell that they've they've clearly thought about mechanically, like how precious these resources are. But because again it's procedurally generated, you never know exactly what vane you're going to hit. So you might desperately want purples, which are the ones that help you like repair, but you keep getting gold and you're like, this is just bullshit. You might just have an unlucky run where it takes you ages to find the relic. I've Also, the game starts on I think small mode, and so the area that you're digging is not very big. That is small, and then as you as soon as you win one round, it expands to medium and big. The big minds are fucking ungodly big. It's really fun to be like, I can't there's no way I'm gonna be able to find where this relic is. It's it's really cool to like min Max, you're digging and be like, I gotta find this relic probably in the next five rounds or I will die. So like, yeah, it's I've really enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't think it's like it has like this insane long like I don't know if I'll play it forever or anything like that. I don't think it's like the next Pialatro or anything, but I have. It has taken up a lot of my weekend and I have absolutely adored it.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: I really need to get around to that at some point, because again, every time it comes up, I'm like, that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope you do it. I hope you. I hope you uh watch Barbarian and play dome Keeper and report back because they're great.
Speaker 3: Barbarian is a likely one sooner.
Speaker 4: I think Domekeeper I've been putting off because there's new stuff and everything, But like I think we do movie night every week.
Speaker 3: We all bring it up with bunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Cool Dan.
Speaker 1: How is Donkey Kong Country Returns?
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 4: I've always been a huge defender of that game when it came out on the Wii. I mean, the one big complaint was that, like to do the role, which is a thing you do all the fucking time in those games, you had to do the waggle because it was on Wei. And then they put it on three DS, and it's like, Okay, great, I can do the role with a button like I want to, But it's not. It's chained to three DS and a tiny screen and all that. So now it's this game that I've I've long thought was one of the best platformers I've played. It's certainly two D platformers I've played that it looks good, it's on the switch, I don't have to do motion bullshit. It's it's just a tremendous game that I think it reviewed well and everything. But I don't hear people talk about as much as I feel they should. Fantastic platformer holds up very very well. Yeah, still loving it.
Speaker 1: Soundtracks still good, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, always great. I think I think it's the best. I think it is the best game with Donkey Kong in the title.
Speaker 1: Donkey Kong Country from so wait, sorry, this is the Is it a really remaster of the one on the Wii or the original Super Nintendo?
Speaker 3: No, no, it's it's the Donkey Kong Country Returns the Wei game.
Speaker 1: Ah gotcha? Okay, not Donkey Kong Country.
Speaker 3: Which on the Wii. I think.
Speaker 4: I thought it was the best game with Donkey Kong in the title, and I like Donkey Kong. I like, I'm not like obsessed with the series gameplay. I think the character is hilarious for the best thing ever. Well everyone, yeah, I mean you don't even say that, but I mustn't.
Speaker 1: Stout playing it.
Speaker 2: Is it co op?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: In fact, me, there was a winter break when it first came out that I took it home and me and Katie and Kayla, my sisters, we traded off like our teams, and it was just like a whole night of us. We made a whole drinking game around it, and it was just this crazy, like eight hour night of us just screaming and passing the controllers back and forth, and it was like a super duper fun because like it's like mind cart levels that are super hard at the end, and oh shit, I fucked up, and so now don Key Kong's dead. Kayla, you're Diddy Kong. You it's on you. We don't have any fucking balloons or anything. You gotta do this like super stressful fun, like it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I haven't played a good platformer in a while.
Speaker 2: Me neither. I feel like I'm due for like a good platformer, and I love co op platformers, and I think those are good. Co op platformers are hard to find.
Speaker 4: I keep thinking about a blue Sky posts I saw from you know, Jake Steinberg from Kataku.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw him post that.
Speaker 4: He was like, uh, because he's a younger guy and I've met him at the night shows that we do a giant bom. We fed him on the couch a couple of times, and he said something like boy, games industry or games media old heads will glaze platformers just for existing. I was like, yeah, I don't even know what he was referred to. I mean this was like like a few weeks ago, so I think it's past astrobot and I remember seeing that being like, yep, yeah, he's right. I think we all just came up like guys that are like forty and above we're just we remember Mario and that's when we fell in love with games, and now it's just platformers being around.
Speaker 3: We're like hell yeah, And I was like, yeah, you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah I disagree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like jumping on stuff.
Speaker 1: One of the best games ever made, though, Astrobot.
Speaker 3: That's true. Are you being sarcastic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, very much.
Speaker 3: So you don't think it's one of the best games I ever made?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: No, uh sure, extremely well crafted platformer. I have nothing to add that I didn't already say on the episode about it.
Speaker 3: If I had tiles on it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well then that would be a different story.
Speaker 4: Would blow into the controller? No, you don't blow into the controller. That was the we you and the three DS.
Speaker 2: You got to shake the controller.
Speaker 3: You don't really know. That's not a gimmick, it's just a great plan.
Speaker 1: There's no sprinkles all over the ice cream levels.
Speaker 2: So many fun fetties on the level.
Speaker 1: I could double jump in time twiles compete with Jeff week one.
Speaker 3: There's no double jump I can.
Speaker 4: You're saying a bunch of inaccurate things about one of the best games of all time.
Speaker 1: You can double jump with the feet.
Speaker 4: Rockets okay it certain items power ups will give you abilities, yes, but Astrobot cannot double jump, he can hover.
Speaker 1: These items are not gimmicks at all. The great gameplay innovations.
Speaker 2: And there they really have constructed brilliant character designs, like all the other games from PlayStation that they've just shoved in here.
Speaker 1: I like PlayStation from the nineties, so I like when they call back to it. I used to jack off to Laura Croft and this reminds me of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I like Estra.
Speaker 2: But I'm an Astrobot.
Speaker 6: God.
Speaker 1: That's why Mark liked it too. I enjoyed that game, but it wasn't that good. Why are you playing Crimson Skies the x punishment?
Speaker 4: Yes, the Xbox game. It's my punishment from Mike Manatti.
Speaker 1: What's a punishment?
Speaker 4: We did a charity race for La Wildfire Relief on last Friday as of this recording, where four of us, Me, Grubb, Sean, and Manati raced in Bowser's Fury Uh to see who could beat it from beginning to credits in one sitting and Manati one and we decided like it was just such a positive experience. It's positive stream and everything and we're like, oh, we want to have a fun so like the winner gets to pick homework games for the three losers. And the deal is it's like it's not a blake club thing where it's like it's a bad game or it's a punishment or whatever where you have to stream all this on your own time. It's you play it however you want to, but it's got to be a game that's not super long and that you really like that you're giving to someone who has never played it before. So you know, Grub hasn't played Grim Fandango, so that's what he's playing. And for me, he gave Crimson Skies because he thought I would like it, and sure enough, I like it a lot. It's very much reminds me of that old kind of tistbox. Yeah, yeah, I can't remember if it was a launch game or not, but I just love like I love those only a twist, The Metal Warhawk. You know these games where it's like, all right, you're just a vehicle like an arena where it's totally a rogue squadron type thing where it's like here it's this area and just fly around and you have certain objectives, like there's a weird amount of variety in it, like like twist the metal and stuff. It was always just like, hey, kill all these cars, this has kill all these planes, but also deliver this fragile thing. You know, here's a gyrocopter. You're gonna deliver this fragile thing through a canyon. You got to protect this plane. You got to escort this zeppelin. But you can also man the turrets on the zeppelin and flip. Like, there's a fun amount of variety here that I didn't expect.
Speaker 1: Several playable characters, right, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: It's characters as much as planes.
Speaker 4: Like I'm always the same dude, but like I am unlocking new planes, and you earn cash, and like there's collectibles and that let you unlock new upgrades and stuff. So yeah, it's fun like finding the plane that works with your style the most, and the controls work fairly well for a game that's, you know, over twenty years old. Looks fine. It's very very backwards compatible on Xbox. It's on game Pass. I heard I had great Xbox Live support, one of the early early Xbox Live games. But I've just been doing single player and yeah, absolutely, I've really really been liking it, so and I like this idea of the punishment because I'm so used to like, Okay, the winner gets to pick this tortuous, fucking horrible thing that the loser has to do, and this is like, oh we got this.
Speaker 3: When would I have played this otherwise?
Speaker 4: And now I've got this homework assignment like it, So it's like, oh, this is this is a fun way to do it.
Speaker 2: So who came up with punishment that seems like a minati situation?
Speaker 3: He might have come up with the term.
Speaker 4: I don't remember how we got to It was just one of those natural things where we were talking about it and we all kind of wound up there.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, we should do that.
Speaker 1: At some point. Sign me a game. Well I probably won't play it, but you could. Well.
Speaker 3: We tried with Mary, but then she just played a totally different game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blamed us for recommending a game that we don't like.
Speaker 2: I thought we hadn't moved on as a podcast.
Speaker 3: From this the last episode.
Speaker 2: You got bragging rights, though, go forward in your life.
Speaker 3: We're trying to give you a punishment.
Speaker 2: I yeah, we did as you or I had between worlds, as I tend to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, play Link between Worlds.
Speaker 1: Play Link between Worlds. It's really good, really really really good. Top five Zelda Skyward Sort Mary. Have you played all of the Middle Girl Solids O Skyward Sword.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't played it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. You streaming Medal Year would be.
Speaker 4: I love watching people play Medal Year solid that I have not played it because it's just so fucking bad shit.
Speaker 3: I would love if you played that and then we get your reports. Do a report.
Speaker 1: Yes, she sounds so enthused.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot to talk about with that series.
Speaker 2: To be like, I feel like I'd have to find like a real like open time to play that dealing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're not controls. Yeah, people struggle with the controls if they come back to it now. I mean most of.
Speaker 3: Those games eight hours. Yeah, they're not crazy long.
Speaker 1: At some point doing.
Speaker 4: Well, you an hour or you got to do before episode one hundred, because you're gonna be hearing a lot about Metal Year during that.
Speaker 3: I don't owe you ship, No, you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: You should have played the game we already suggested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got Yeah. Next time we recommend something, don't just go off into the wilderness. And play something we said don't play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: This one, I think I've played. I played this one because it has the worm that you hit the tail.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a common thing.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about.
Speaker 3: That's the link to the past Muldos or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh no, the guy who you rent the items from, and that's a rabbit. Oh that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mold Orm is what I'm thinking of. The sword or the worm he's got, Like.
Speaker 1: I love the Hamburg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a fun Hamburg.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, God switch to just needs Twilet Princess and Winwaker and I'm there. Well I'm there anyway, but like I really want Yeah, they're both good. I like Toilet Princess too, but like, uh, the beginning really is very very slow, and also it's got a lot of arbitrary gating, like oh, this bridge is broken, so you got to go back and talk to that character from back there, and then you've got to sumo wrestle the Mayor, and then you gotta a lot go back and talk to Sorrow. Yeah, because you did that knock arena. We got a call back to.
Speaker 4: That when we're having just played Windwaker in the last year. That holds up extremely Well, that was.
Speaker 1: Even better now with the new sailing and map and updated uh travel anybody else play? Aything else?
Speaker 7: Mary?
Speaker 1: You played Spiro when you're sick?
Speaker 2: I got sick this weekend, three day weekend, and I didn't feel good and I needed a comfort game, so I downloaded Spiro blamed. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's really nice. It's just basically like all the things you like about Spiro, but it's delicately upgraded with nicer graphics and it it feels great. The controls feel just like when I was a kid. I kind of forgot. I don't know if you guys played. Did you guys both play Spiro?
Speaker 1: Kayla?
Speaker 4: Kyla was obsessed with it, and I remember I was like, game, well, that's the thing. I was like a teenager, and so I'd see Caleb, Oh, this is some shitty, you know, kitty dragon game thing whatever. And then the Regnited trilogy comes out and I play it. I'm like, Oh, I fucking love all these games.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're really good.
Speaker 3: I would say, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's simple, right, Like you're a baby dragon who can kind of fly but not really, and you got to get all of the gemmys and they hide them in like hard to platform places. So but if you're stupid or like not good at games, you can just not get those. You don't have to hundred percent the levels. So it's nice as an adult to go back to it and be like this actually was kind of tough to get to these little areas, like they've hidden everything, but if you don't feel like figuring it out, you just don't do it and you just move on and get the other dinosaurs or whatever they are.
Speaker 4: You just I love that about platformers of that era, Like you know, like Mario sixty four is like, look, if you want to do one hundred and twenty stars, yeah, I have a blast. But if you hate Hazy May's cave, don't fucking go there and just get your star somewhere else, you know.
Speaker 2: Greial loser. I think it's great that they've like casually let you decide how in you want to be, and so yeah, it's it's been really nice. I'm very early on in, but like as a sick couch game, I was loving it, So yeah, I'm back.
Speaker 3: I did notice. Yeah, you were on Instagram.
Speaker 4: I say, you do some stories where you're watching old Simpsons and I would like, look at the same deck screen as course she's playing Spiro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I inspiral, like I think it's Spiro.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was watching my favorite seasons as well.
Speaker 4: So I was watching like Dalmatians one the Domination that's really good.
Speaker 2: And the one where Homer goes to clown College. Like really, they make me laugh, they make me so happy, they're so funny. And I was doing that in Spirro and I think so I posted those and I saw someone DM and be like, you know how to do mental health better than anyone I know. I was like, I think that's true. Like I when I don't feel good, I'm like, I'm sitting on this couch, I'm making a tea. I'm getting my dog who will always loyally like sit in my lap when I'm not well. I think you have one of those two by the dog who's just like, what are you not good? I will behave your side. I will not move from this spot because you need me and I just.
Speaker 3: Want me tucked under your arm. I can just stay here all day. What do you want?
Speaker 2: I will sit there. He's such a good boy, and I will watch old Simpsons and I'm happy, and that is a great place for me to just mentally and physically repair and damn it, I am back. So yeah, that was such a good doctor's orders. Man.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, yeah, I play fire Emblem when I'm sick. Something about it. It's just enough, like requires just enough brain power to sort of like be cognizant. But then also there's like the satisfying character building and the tactics and whatnot.
Speaker 3: The tactics yet yes.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I need deep tactics.
Speaker 3: When you jump on some turtles and sleep.
Speaker 1: No, that makes menous, That makes me naucious. Want do emails, jure. Okay, we are going to get to emails. But before that, and before we get to the end of the episode, we do have a couple of upcoming fun stuff to tell people about. Firstly, this is episode ninety nine, and for all you math nerds out there, next episode will be one hundred. Oh yeah, Okay, we've referenced it several times, but now we can officially say episode hundred is not going to be a normal format. We are going to be doing a sixty four game bracket tournament to battle out and decide what is fire Escape Casts Collective, or rather, whoever can argue best what is our best game of all time? So we all basically nominated twenty five games each. Obviously there's going to be some overlap, especially with Red Dead two being so high on DAN lists along with Holli Night. We're gonna figure out nix any the doubles and then maybe bring in a few like honorable mentions that almost made it, just to make the show more interesting. But Mary's putting together a bracket. We're gonna do it in the sense that we don't know. We're gonna randomize the first round, so it could be like Bloodborne versus Hollow Night, which would be seeded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not seated at all. It's gonna be totally random.
Speaker 2: And I've already set the tone that I am not going to undo it if you're like, that's not fair, because these are both games that I really like.
Speaker 4: Tough no, no, no, it's whatever. However the dice fall, and then we're not.
Speaker 2: Speaking to you. I'm just saying the rules. I'm going to be in the bracket and they're going to be constructed, and if you don't like it, like that's that, that's not my problem.
Speaker 4: You are furnaces responding to your anger. Because my furnace kicked on as soon as you got mad at me.
Speaker 2: I don't think that me and that furnace are related, but I do think that my blood pressure rises every time I hear that fucking whistle coming out of your stupid bye wear a sweater. You're wearing a T shirt is January?
Speaker 3: I'm inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any he's got the furnace on.
Speaker 2: The dead of winner in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: It just happens to sound like a grieving Eagle who lost its cubs.
Speaker 3: That's our football team, the Minnesota grieving Eagles.
Speaker 2: Someone squeezing the life out of a small chinchilla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it happens herea but yeah, that'll be episode one hundred. It'll be on the normal schedule, so it'll be what February third, tenth, We'll have that up episode hundred.
Speaker 2: Just so everybody knows how we got to this list of sixty four is. I asked the boys to put together a list of their top twenty fives.
Speaker 1: That just gives a ballpark.
Speaker 2: I'm repeating it, And I recently checked this list of all of the games, and Mike put games on my list that I did not run. And I'd like to read some of these.
Speaker 1: That I did not do that. You wrote all these.
Speaker 2: I did not write these.
Speaker 1: Appropriate like I would like for radio.
Speaker 2: That's on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put them down, don't.
Speaker 1: Get the bee button potentially ready.
Speaker 2: So for our top twenty five, I wrote half Life, two, Hollow Night, they should shock No. One Years of War, and then all of a sudden, Mike Tyson's punch out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I did not put that. I did not put that by the great, great big Mary.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: I left my heart in the Pacific Northwest. That's not a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. You wrote it. Take it up with Yeah, you we know you love it.
Speaker 2: As Boy goes to Dumb Town.
Speaker 3: That one is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was the classic sixty.
Speaker 2: Four lobster sniper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to taste so far.
Speaker 2: They have really good ball physics and lobsters. Heard that. I've heard that Revenge of the Frog, prins Ass Boy goes to dump down three Midnight Noctors.
Speaker 3: Right, you didn't like two. It was like a Devil May Cry situation.
Speaker 1: I really was a step back. Yeah, they got back on track with three. Return to form.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of these are personal.
Speaker 2: Grenades that explode into bubble.
Speaker 3: Little violent, but that's that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I started as a flash game, but they they actually made a like a full game.
Speaker 8: We Yeah, Blanket Simulator. I would really like that game.
Speaker 2: Blanket Simulator remake. Oh yeah, Baking Saga twenty two Nights of Pumpkin Pie.
Speaker 3: I have not seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really looking forward to arguing and ringover Baking Simulator Saga.
Speaker 2: You guys are bad friends.
Speaker 3: I didn't do this. It's the first time I'm seeing it.
Speaker 1: He left blank spaces. What was I supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Baking Saga Reflex two point five x D two D.
Speaker 1: We almost gave that worst title of the year a few years ago.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god. Oh this is a nice one, solid night nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that drunk Gymnast Physics.
Speaker 1: It's the spiritual successor to Mount your Friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Junior Year returned to Cincinnati. It's very close. Dare help My French bulldog thinks he's a member of the Viet Cong.
Speaker 1: It was a really specific indie game that someone made, really good.
Speaker 3: Yep, got DLC for Razor my dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's an American soldier with a flamethrower.
Speaker 3: Oh the horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Portland series Portland Stories part four. It's just disrespectful to my home.
Speaker 1: It really came together in the fourth game.
Speaker 2: Puzzle game with really innovative mechanics.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that. That was good. Are there any Are there any more good ones?
Speaker 2: Hell Divers too easy mode? Only this one was surprising NBA two K twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was just yeah the time my.
Speaker 2: Phone is at the bottom of the will Lammett But I still have so many friends to text.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good, You're an asshole. Game was good, but yeah, episode one hundred. So those who knows which one of those will be duking it out with some of mine or some of Dan's. And again, who's to say there's gonna be brack many brackets where one of Dan's games pops up against one of Mary's. It's not about our games winning, it's about arguing whatever the two happened to be at that moment, all the rest of the brown games into the background.
Speaker 4: No, we're gonna determine fire Escape's best game of all time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's not a competition, well I mean literally as a tournament, but like.
Speaker 3: It's it's our collective choice.
Speaker 1: Though it's gonna be I'm gonna laugh if marry, all of your games go up against one another and you have we we just have to listen to you argue.
Speaker 3: Me having to argue all these metal years and Marios against each other.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that'll be fun. Yeah, but yeah, that'll be episode one hundred and then one last thing some last minute not last minute, some final details are still coming together. But We've got a fun bonus series planned that I'm gonna be doing with Vinnie Caravella from Nextlander.
Speaker 2: That's so good, what a good group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love Vinnie.
Speaker 2: I don't love Vinnie. Could you imagine someone who comes up to you and they're like, we have all the same things. I think we're gonna be great friends. Just one thing, I hate Vinnie.
Speaker 4: Awesome and except the gossipy, ass drama filled industry of games media, Vinnie Caravella is one of one of the only people I've ever met that I've never heard anyone say anything bad about.
Speaker 2: We're actually all bad people except for Vinnie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vinnie is beloved by all, and for good reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he has been wanting. He grabbed basically the Total war Warhammer trilogy on sale, so basically it's generally going to work where we're doing two separate camp co op campaigns, one of which fire Escape. If you're already a eight dollar tier patron, you're signed up, you can watch this. We're gonna do u in our off weeks. We're gonna publish one episode at a time, like one hour a time, where Vinnie and I are playing a good quote unquote campaign as like some of the Order Forces they're called it in Warhammer. I'm gonna walk. I'm gonna kind of be Vinnie's guru. And then if you're already a patron for Next Lander there, I think they're ten dollars tier, we're doing a separate campaign over there as evil forces maybe orcs, maybe vampires, maybe vampire pirates. Basically, I'm gonna be showing Vinnie the ropes while we do a co op campaign. But if you're not a Next Lander patron and you just want to stick to fire Escape, you'll be able to see all the episodes of our campaign. I don't know why. If you are you listen to Firescape, but you're a Next Lander patron, you don't need to come and be a patron for us. You'll see that whole campaign. But if you want to see both of them, and see like me and Vinnie hanging out, or hear me and Vinnie hanging out playing a game that I talk about too much, but people here tune out when I talk about it. Then come see what I'm raving about. We're aiming for mid February, mid to late February, we'll say. Once we get closer, we'll give final details so people know, just especially with the subscription pricing now with Patreon, if you want to like plan the data sign up before it goes live, we'll be sure to publish that. But anyway, onto emails. We have a shit ton of emails in our inbox. Thank you everybody, keep those coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for doing that again.
Speaker 1: This firescape cast at gmail dot com. For any questions you want read on the air, We've got several tonight as usual, Dan, I think this one actually makes sense for you to take from Wayne.
Speaker 4: I was muted, all right, from Wayne. I have to assume the subject line was Macgrueber. Is that the case because I don't see it in the body.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's so funny, But the body of the email just what a great recommendation and movie, And Dan is like, well, this is obviously macgober it has.
Speaker 3: To be ya Hey.
Speaker 4: After years of listening specifically to Dan throughout the years, I finally decided this past week to finally watch this movie. I don't remember the last time I laughed so much and so hard at a movie. So I'm wondering if you all have more suggestions of movies like this, Wayne.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad to hear that.
Speaker 4: I think like people probably assume it's like a bit because if I always bring it up, like no, it's as legitimate as it gets. It's my favorite comedy of all time by a long shot.
Speaker 1: Looks at it now and she she's got a pretty like she she was laughing like I've never heard her laugh that hard.
Speaker 4: It's the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie. It's the movie I've seen the most by far. Yeah, there's a reason I talk about all the time. Wayne, I would say, I don't think there's any beating mcgroober, But the first one that I think of is by a lot of the same people.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, you've peaked. There's nothing better than Kruber. Dan said, you.
Speaker 3: Can stop watching movies. You can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're looking at like it says do you have any more suggestions of movies like this because you said that, Wayne, I would say pop Star because it's like the Lonely Island guys.
Speaker 3: I think this is it.
Speaker 4: A Kiva might direct pop Star and Doorma Yorma directed mcgroober. But it's definitely the like Lonely Island sensibilities and things like that. Pop Stars obviously heavier in the like Samberg type stuff where they brought it in Will Forte for uh mcgroover, But pop Star is insane, very funny.
Speaker 3: It's I think pop Star.
Speaker 4: Won't age as well as mcgroober because pop Star does rely on a bunch of you know, stars of the day. When what was it like twenty twelve or twenty thirteen when it came out.
Speaker 3: Actually now that I thing. But I bet like Ditty's in that.
Speaker 4: I bet it's like a lot of like oh it was like mcgroober is pretty much just like holds up extremely well. Pop Star is very funny. I know a lot of people would say hot Rod because again it's that like Lonely Island style.
Speaker 3: I liked hot Rod. I only saw that one time.
Speaker 1: It's more so funny it is the rest of their stuff Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nothing's hit like mcgrober for me, But I would say pop Star if you're looking for like that vibe of comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not the exact same kind of comedy, but where you get in the sense that you get a big cast of people that are all just like in on it and going hard on the humor or the specific kind of humor. If you haven't seen What Hot American Summer, that is very dumb humor in many ways. I still think that What Hot American Summer is worth watching today, and it's got you know, if you haven't seen, it's Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Michael Ian Black, David Wayne directed it. But it's it's like The Role Model's Crew back when I think they were still very funny. Now there's the prequel and Squel series on Netflix, which I actually find both very funny as well. But What Hot American Summer has like a similar dumb humor, although some of that that most of that humor is actually dumb. Were mcgruber is like really intelligent jokes that are told in a dumb way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mcgroober is simultaneously incredibly smart, incredibly stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another person I would really recommend is Edgar Wright, who is a filmmaker who makes a lot of spoof or like kind of joke style films that are just excellent, most known for shan of the Dead, but the trilogy of they're not in the same universe. It's the same character actors of like Shawna the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and World's End are all excellent, very funny films and they're just so well made. And I also think like Edgar Wright is brilliant for visual comedy, so he's not just it's not just the jokes of the characters being idiots, but it's like Edgar Wright is doing visual commentary that is so enjoyable for comedy. And I just I really recommend Edgar Wright for anyone who's like I just want to laugh and watch stupid people be stupid. And it's just like watch Shanna the Dead. It's a brilliant film. But like, if you like that, you'll like Hot Fuzz. And if you like Hot Fuzz, you'll like World's End.
Speaker 4: So that's World End I never saw, but I did love Shanna the Dead Hot Fuzz.
Speaker 3: I've been meaning to watch.
Speaker 2: It's not as beloved, but it's so funny.
Speaker 1: It's like it's funny. I love Hot Fuzz. I think Hot Fuzz is the funniest of those three. He also did Baby Driver and then Being an Anya Teller Joy Last Night, soho, but which.
Speaker 2: Is total deviation. It's not very that one's not very funny, but.
Speaker 1: It is funny. World's End is like extremely profound and like a really well written story that caught me off guard because again it is part of that trilogy. And then you know, they all go back to their hometown and there's the one guy who stayed there, and like they're planning this pub crawl that they used to do when they were younger, and it's a bunch of people who've gotten older. I actually kind of I feel like it would hit me even harder if I watch it now, because I haven't watched it in four years. World's End was phenomenal. I gotta go back to that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad. I think that it's really I mean, Edgar Wright is such a brilliant filmmaker of our time, and I do I think that they are obviously appreciated, but I think generally we just don't think of him when we think of like brilliant filmmakers. I think he's I think he's genius, but maybe he does get the credit.
Speaker 1: I don't know now he's I think like I rewatched Baby Driver recently, which is not as much of a comedy. I like that a lot more. The second time I did, I did.
Speaker 3: Not like it.
Speaker 1: I rewatched it and holy Ship, like it's infectious the energy to it, And now that I knew what I was getting into, I was like, I'm just going to enjoy this on a visual purely visual and like musical soundtrack sense. Kevin Spacey being in like a prominent role is not super fun, but like it's a really well made movie.
Speaker 2: Although John Ham's chastly. They just lived life.
Speaker 4: And speaking of that, I did look up the cameo list on pop Star because I was like, what is Diddy in that?
Speaker 1: And no, what is that?
Speaker 3: Largely not canceled.
Speaker 4: It's like oh Big Boy and Nas and Questlove and Seal and the Riza, Like, yeah, nobody canceled that.
Speaker 3: I see here, so don't uh that like.
Speaker 2: Twitter account or whatever is like did the Dog Die?
Speaker 3: Which, oh yeah, is Didy in?
Speaker 1: It is Diddy in?
Speaker 2: It is like the New one.
Speaker 1: There's like how to beat dot Com for video games. That's how long till Diddy dot Com?
Speaker 3: Martin Sheen. Martin Sheen was in puff Star. I don't know that at all. Change weird.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, good, good, good films.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well, thank you, Wayne.
Speaker 3: Ah Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll read this one. Actually, no, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: You would be so good as like the host of Hollywood Squares.
Speaker 1: I'll read this one.
Speaker 4: If Mike get the game show hosting gig before me, I'm gonna be pissed.
Speaker 1: Who says, oh, I'm not. You make a good point, Oh, Dan, I deserve everything that I ever wanted because so hard I need to be a I can beat punch out.
Speaker 2: So if anyone gets as a job, it's me.
Speaker 1: I have fancy Vinyl floors, so I need to They're blessing. We know. I'm owed everything.
Speaker 3: That's my catchphrase. I'm O everything, all right, High Fire Escape Crew.
Speaker 1: Uhar, I'm not sure if I'm I'm not completely sure if I'm pronouncing that. Apologies if I am. Butazar from Scotland here just riding in to say that you auto ride slash follow in Red Dead two when you switch to the cinematic camera. This should also work when you have a waypoint marker on the map. It's been a while since I touched it, but I'm pretty sure it's there. It makes the ridy talking bit's a bit more cinematic and gives your hand arrest. Also, if you just hold the sprint button when riding, not mashing, your horse will evade trees and rocks. My question is, what is a setting slash feature in a game that when someone told you about it, made you play that game differently. It didn't change my opinion of the game. I always loved Returnal Jacob Geller someone told him about this mechanic and he tweeted about it. There's an always sprint function in that game where you don't ever walk because you don't ever need to walk in that game, really yeah, and you just anytime you move the ole stiction Selene sprints And I was like, why it didn't necessarily, I just didn't know it was there. It didn't make me play the game differently. So it's not the best answer, but that is a specific mechanic that happened semi recently. Outside of that, though, I'm trying to think of something where I either didn't know, like, holy shit, I played that whole game, didn't realize that was a thing.
Speaker 3: I definitely had this a lot where it's like, oh, make sure you turn on.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah right now, we can also come back.
Speaker 2: It's nice.
Speaker 1: Was stopping you from reading it? I worked on the stock at noon today. You could have read it at any point.
Speaker 2: Isn't that during work hours?
Speaker 4: Michael?
Speaker 1: It was, I swear to god, I was looking at I was. I was writing too. We can come back to it if we're on the spot, which is, we'll come back to it, saysar. We will be back. So just keep put that. Put that back in your noggin. Mary, do you want to read this one from Marcel from the Netherlands?
Speaker 2: Sure? Hi there. Thank you for your bi weekly escapades and escapism. You're welcome. Mike's raving review of the entirety of what we do in the Shadows prompted me to finally write in and ask a question I find. I recently bought new headphones, specifically because of one of the voice options has Matt Barry shouting noise canceling and.
Speaker 3: Power on HAU.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty good. He always has an inflection at the end right, that's like his thing. Yeah, at the press of a button. That alone was enough for me to spend a couple of one hundred euros, even though I already own a pair of headphones that are arguably better. Was it worth it? Probably not? That I am happy, nonetheless, so I'm wondering, what's the stupid thing you bought on impulse which brings you joy to this day? Marcel from the Netherlands, it's a good question.
Speaker 1: I feel like Dan's entire every.
Speaker 2: Everything that Dan owns it is stupid, ship provides joy. Why don't you pick anything? Do you pick the closest thing that's in your arms distance?
Speaker 3: There's just no this is all adult, normal stuff.
Speaker 2: I what is that?
Speaker 4: It's an anti static wristband? Because it's shocking myself on my treadmill.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Oh does it have the metal where you can hold it for your heart rate?
Speaker 3: I don't know how to make it work, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha, that's useful. I don't have any like Macaroni sweatshirts. I know you didn't buy those.
Speaker 4: I mean my xbox here is Bojangles branded, but yeah, you didn't buy that. It's got to be an impulse buy a lot of stupid stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I so much stupid stuff. Name anything that you own. This shouldn't be that complicated.
Speaker 4: I got that Kwan Chi framed photo, but that was Walgreens had a free eight by ten print out.
Speaker 1: Oh actually, I have perfect one. Amanda and I were up in Syracuse seeing my family, and I forget why. I think Amanda may have been just starting to get sick because we were around eleven kids for the whole weekend and we were at the train stations. Yeah, we're at the train station in Syracuse, and she was just not in a great mood because she wasn't feeling well. We were at a train station in Syracuse, so I was like, all right, I'll be here back. I'm gonna go get us dunk Donuts across the platform. So I go over there and there's this if you've been to to this train station, anybody from up there, there's this gift shop that's just the most insane room anywhere in the world, full of imagine like a gift shop in Midtown and New York with all the I love New York hats, but also meets like there are bags of caramel corn randomly hanging between all the hats. So I just bought this flat brim baseball cap, all black, green brim, and it just says Jamaica across it. And I came back to Amanda on the other side of platform wearing the hat, just to make her laugh. And now it still hangs prominently in my closet and I.
Speaker 3: Still see it.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It wasn't an expensive thing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's like it's just a silly item that brings you joy and that's its only purpose, and that's what sometimes items are. I actually think we should normalize the idea that you can buy something that isn't important and it's not expensive, but it was something that it brought you some joy. I like a state sailing. That's actually something I intended doing as like a hobby. And I often find myself searching for estate sales on like a Saturday or Sunday morning, and I'll drive to a couple of them and just see what kind of crap I can find. And it's really fun when I find something silly and stupid. I've been on a frog kick recently, so I bought a frog container. It's got like twenty frogs that are all just looking up and it looks like they're praying.
Speaker 3: I bought it.
Speaker 2: I got that in my house now. But one of my recent finds that brings me a lot of joy is I went to a person's house that was obviously like really into cats. I love that at stay sales, you'll be like, this guy was a giraffe guy, because everything's a fucking giraffe. This person was a cat person and their backyard was nothing but cat planters cat They like shaved their bushes to look like cats. It's crazy. And they had a giant concrete cat statue that kind of looks like a zen garden but it's just a round, fat cat. And I was like, I gotta have it. But it's like concrete and it's pretty big, and so I was a little nervous that, like when I would go to the there wasn't a price on it. So I like went up to the guy and I was like, it's a how you had this concrete cat. It has a couple of chips in it. What do you want for it? And I was thinking to myself, this guy's gonna be like minimum, like one hundred dollars just concrete cat. And he was like, would you do twenty?
Speaker 1: And I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there I am dragging this car. It's as big as Pikachu behind me. It's like it's up to my fucking thigh. I'm dragging this concrete cat car. I needed help. I had to get help from the other people who like run the estate sale. I buckled it into my back seat like a baby, took it home, and I put it in my backyard. It's it's coveted in my backyard. I absolutely love looking at it. Every time I look in my backyard, I see this giant concrete zen cat statue. And I laughed to myself that I acquired such a stupid item. Me joy, I've I think I bought it before.
Speaker 3: The Game Awards, so probably I was gonna say, I feel like me, oh yeah, that sounds great.
Speaker 2: I would have brought everybody in come look, come look in my cat sastue. I know I bought it at the Game Awards because it's the same estate sale, literally the same house that I also found a velvet black dress. And I remember saying to myself, that's so pretty, but there's no way that's gonna fit me. Well, I'm gonna try it on and I went to this dead lady's house and I tried on this black dress.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: Her name was Susan. They told me all about her, and this dress fit me like a glove.
Speaker 1: She died.
Speaker 2: I bought it, she died. I took it right off her bones. I paid this man twenty dollars for this beautiful, uh vintage black velvet gown, and I wore it to the Game Awards and you guys all hugged me in it. That is Susan's dress, Susan. Sure, yeah, there's no question. I mean that dress had been lived in it some and add somewhere and tear. But I love old people's stuff. I love things that have been worn and lived in and loved. And I really enjoy estate sales shopping because it's not actually about like acquiring something I really need. It's not like finding the perfect cable or something. It's really about walking through somebody's life and being like, that's actually such a fucking sick statue. I love that they had that. How much do you want for it? As long as they're not trying to gouge me, I'm like, I will take that home and I will put that in my house, and my house is filled with shit like.
Speaker 4: That, And even if you don't buy anything, it's just like an interesting just like, oh, who was this person?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what were they doing? Why were they so into giraffes? I did go to an Estates tale where everything was a giraffe, and it was just so obvious that everyone was like, what do we get them? They're fucking one hundred years old. I don't know what to buy them, and it's like, well, they're really into giraffes, and so they just had every everything was a giraffe. It was really I think that shit is so fun.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, I actually I have something perfect.
Speaker 3: I'll bear back, uh, Mary while he's getting that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you asked me to just grab the thing closest to me and it would be something stupid. I was looking around and I didn't initially see it because it's the same color as my desk. But this just came in the mail a couple of days ago. For those who are not watching the video, it looks like a watch, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like a watch.
Speaker 4: Now, this is the Pavlov shock clock, which Mary, can you describe what you see on the backside of this risk of par two.
Speaker 2: Little metal bubbles on the back of this watch.
Speaker 4: It is a thing that you put on and you fall asleep to it, and you set your alarm, and you can set the intensity, and you can set some really crazy shit.
Speaker 3: It electrocutes you.
Speaker 2: One shot collar to wake up too.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you can also set things to where it will not stop shocking you. In fact, you can set it to increase in intensity until you you can turn one or multiple of these on. Where you have to solve a puzzle, you have to print it. Like I could print out a QR code and put it down in my basement and I won't stop going to electrocuta until I run down and scan it. You can make it so you have to do jumping jacks, you know, like a certain amount, Like I'm not going to stop getting electrocuted until i do fifty jumping jacks, run downstairs and scanning QR.
Speaker 3: Code and solve this puzzle.
Speaker 1: Why don't you just.
Speaker 3: It's a sex thing about Like all right.
Speaker 2: Lets be real here. There are so many different knobs and nodules on that thing. There's no way someone hasn't put that on their butthole before.
Speaker 3: Somebody probably has.
Speaker 1: Why don't you just do jumping jacks?
Speaker 4: Well, because I think the incentive is I'm getting electrocuted and I would like this to stop.
Speaker 2: It's for people who were like, I don't like it, but I am gonna put it on again tonight.
Speaker 4: No, this is the reason this was recommended to me is because I used to taser myself.
Speaker 1: Dann, it's it's me and Mary. You can tell us it's a sexual thing.
Speaker 3: I don't have an electrocution.
Speaker 2: Fast horny sleep watch I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I have never been electrocuted and gotten an erection.
Speaker 2: Does it have on it? How tight can you?
Speaker 1: I mean, next time we're at the house for Game of the Year, we're gonna be in the other room and here Dan wake up with the shock and then just coming the whole way downstairs. I brought some stuff. I have a lot of bar I have a lot of bar wear that's not necessary that I picked up. There's a like whenever we go to Cape Cod there are stores. There's a kitchen store called Atlantic Spice that is impossible not to get stuff. I have a fish shaped wine opener. It's pretty good. I also have a half naked golden Mermaid bottle cap opener. I also, I got this in Hawaii. It's a statue bottle opener. And then this is one of my favorites. I got this at the airport in San Juan. It's a Puerto Rican it's just it says Puerto Rico and it's turtles flask. But it's that cheap stuff that peels off. And this is my favorite. I didn't buy this. This is actually a gift from a friend who had gone to a Ruba with his wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here we go, show it up.
Speaker 1: It's a cooozy on one side, just as a Ruba and really elegant, sophisticated letters. I got turn Around, Gin and hot women, Nothing else matters.
Speaker 3: That's what that Metallica songs about.
Speaker 1: And it just shows, it just shows giblets. Gin.
Speaker 2: This bad boy has been shown off before the.
Speaker 3: Most two dead or alive beach volleyball model.
Speaker 1: And she's yeah, she's the most like late nineties porn type nothing else matter song or tell me yeah, oh yeah, you can barely even see it, Gin, and this barely fits me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's like three inches deep.
Speaker 1: I know, I have to really it.
Speaker 3: It's like super It's like a boorscrition.
Speaker 2: Yet all his points into girth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, credit with the circumference is crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like a frisbee down there. Well, thank you, Okay, that would be.
Speaker 4: For both parties involved, unless you crazy if you found the right match for that.
Speaker 1: Unless you got that deep dish pussy for the frisbee assertion.
Speaker 3: It's not deep at all. Shallow and why.
Speaker 2: Shallow puddle puss.
Speaker 3: Shadow shallow puddlestick dot com.
Speaker 1: Don't buy the I don't think I like any of this that we're saying.
Speaker 3: We've got deep dish pussy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just need frisbee dick now associated frisbee dick dot eed U is gonna get snatched up if we don't act quickly. Uh previous question. Anything come to mind in a game that's someone has told you to to do? Change that.
Speaker 3: I don't go.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is a good example, but I'm gonna buy time with it because it was very controversial. There was a game that came out when I was working at game Spot called Everyone's Gone to the Wraption.
Speaker 1: Yes this, yeah totally, and it actually.
Speaker 2: Was like kind of universally. It was reviewed a bit poorly because even though it has a really interesting story and it's that's pretty much it's only thing like it's telling quite a good tale. It's all about walking. It's a walk sim as we used to call them back then, and it's just like you just walk to these areas. It took so long for you to be able to get there. And then one day post our review going up, I'm pretty sure you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty siu. It was like after our review end up saying like, we have a problem with this.
Speaker 1: It was it was a nine out of ten, but the reviewer also called out that you walk very slowly.
Speaker 2: Correct It's just like it took you a long time to walk from point A to point B, and that's the whole fucking point of the game. So it's just really annoying. It was learned that if you hold a you start walking, but over time you would get a light jog, which in that game was a massive change to whether or not it was like a bit of a problem. I don't know if it like fundamentally changed the way you play it. You still had to do the exact same bullshit, but all of a sudden it was like, thank you for like doing this. What I never really learned was did they add that in and then just say, oh, you needed to hold it down that.
Speaker 1: Saying it was in a review guide, but people just didn't read the whole thing.
Speaker 2: You just didn't read it. Yeah, that was a big one in my day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for this question. Also, I think like the entirety of I still hear things about like Breath the Wild and Tears the Kingdom. I did not know you could do, Like what was it when people started building like using the pent up potential energy from freeze to then catapult bombs with you standing on them.
Speaker 4: Across There's all those like speed run tricks that like Breadth the Wild and subhad. It's like, oh, chop down a tree in the new Stasis and build up the Yeah yeah, and you just fly across the map.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know, I don't know if that counts really because like I think those were all just more like someone messing with the immersive sim elements of it there just wanted me to.
Speaker 2: Like break the game is a big game changer right where you're just like, oh, I actually can just wreck this thing and like evolve. It was really cool to learn. So yeah, I think Zelda is a great one for that.
Speaker 3: There's obvious stuff like in Mario Party.
Speaker 4: I always message speed fast and save after every turn, so some bullshit happens or someone resets it or something, it's saved. And also I don't want to hear the fucking shop Koopa talk for twenty minutes every time I passed there.
Speaker 1: I uh I. This is also a bit different. But once I got the all Guns sheet and Golden Eye, I discovered that we were basically playing a Horde mode before it had been technically invented on the facility level second mission in Golden Eye, once the alarm goes off, yeah, if you kill Trevellian, But as long as you don't blow up the gas tanks, the only thing ending the mission is you going through that last door.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: If you go through the door without blowing out the gas tanks, you fail the mission. But of course if you don't blow up the gas tanks, you're not gonna suffocate. There's a whole room up above you. There's endless enemy soldiers just keep coming into that room. So once I had all Guns on, I would just do like a treat that like a Horde mode before it was actually the thing in Gears of War or anything.
Speaker 4: Like that that also had like little easter egg things, where as soon as I realized you could detonate the remote bombs by hitting A and B together instead of like cycling to your watch and hitting it that way, you could throw a remote mind and while it's in mid air right in front of someone's face, is just explode.
Speaker 3: It so much more fun. Good for multiplayer too.
Speaker 1: You don't have to wait for it to land. Yeah, yeah, for sure, there's more might come to us, but uh but yeah, I'll I'll let you know next time before we're doing it, so you can the.
Speaker 2: Pokemon of one where it's like, oh, we might need a minute to get cooking, and then they just start pouring out of us.
Speaker 4: It's always tough because it's like I do always prefer the just like actually hearing it for the first time on the air. But then it's like there are ones where it's like, I bet there's ten examples I could give right now, but yeah, sometimes.
Speaker 2: They're specific and it's hard because I don't also just want to give a random one. It's like there's really good ones I'm sure that have happened over the course of my life that I just need a little I need a noodle on oh.
Speaker 1: I also for super Mega super Mega Baseball three during our World Series charity thing we did, which was very fun. I didn't realize how much I was over Remember I smoked you in the first game, and then you came back and destroyed me in the second game by like twenty runs. Yes, I think I start overthinking the batting and the difficulty we were on. I didn't realize they weren't making us on the higher difficulties. You go to a setting where it's like you have to actually aim the bat based on where the timing. Yes, I was overthinking it and I was actually to aim and hit the pitches. I was striking out every time.
Speaker 3: I was like, IDA, always try that, Like it's just like, yeah, high into the left, I think I.
Speaker 1: I was going, and if you do that, well you'll get a better hit, but it's not necessary for just connecting. I was like striking out left and right. In that second, he was like, how did I get this bad? I think we played two nights before that, we did an actual World Series schedule. I was like, I must be doing something wrong. And then once that click that I was overthinking it. I was like, oh, this is fine, and then I only won the series by one game. I think it was tight up until then.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's there's also like little immergent things like so, oh, someone taught me in FIFA back when I played FIFA, which was a while ago. The game mode where you can get a normal goal for a point or red cards also technically count toward your score. So you're trying just as hard to get red cards, which you and you're the person you're playing with will consider a point as you are to get a goal. The hitch. The hitch being that every time you get a red card, you lose the player. Oh fun, fun game mode.
Speaker 2: What happens when you run out of players? Do they not let you get that point?
Speaker 1: I don't know if you can, at least I never saw it happen.
Speaker 2: It be one versus eight or however many players play soccer. Really embarrass myself with my soccer knowledge right now.
Speaker 1: There in Europe they call it basketball. Yeah it was. Oh, actually I have one more. Now I'm in sports mode NFL Street two. There are many modes in that game. There's one mode called NFL Challenge. Usually you do the thing like backyard sports games where you're just building up your team and you're recruiting new players, and every once in a while you can get an NFL player. NFL Challenge is the three v three mode where you are going through and you're playing all the NFL teams, and if you complete a specific challenge, you automatically get to pick any of the players from that team to join yours instead of getting I forget what the other bonuses are the bonus the challenge, and I might be misconsidering two things, but I remember the challenge was you had to get three wall diving touchdowns, which you could. Yeah, man, they could get annoying because the difference between a wall run and a wall dive was a very small angle so often, and you could only play up to twenty one or something. So if you got one wall running touchdown, you fuck yourself over because you can't finish the game with three wall dives because you would exceed the points you need to score. But you also need to get three wall passes, so you would need to basically maximize. Okay, on this drive, I could do all three wall passes whatever. But then once I realized that that challenge, it's you an NFL player. I was like, oh shit, I can just build an NFL dream team in NFL Street too. Like at that era, I would have been like Ladany and Tomlinson, Michael vick Y, you know, pre dog Fighting, when he was just a fast quarterback.
Speaker 4: Priest Holmes, Yeah, yes, was he either chiefs receiver, running back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You could get those players just by beating the team like you can in NBA Street, where you can either get points for your creative player or get the NBA player. But I invariably just recruited or NFL player in that mode, and that was fun, and that completely changed how I saw that game, even though I already really liked it.
Speaker 3: It's a great naming.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sayzar for running in. If we think of any others, we'll probably think of I thought of another. Okay, go.
Speaker 2: At first, I was playing Sniper Elite to be a sniper, but once I found out that you could shoot people in the balls, it fundamentally changed whether or not I would actually shoot anyone any other place at any time. I was just a ball hunter.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's really good. That's the name of the game. In Europe.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, ball hunter existence.
Speaker 3: You can't say a sniper in your episodes? Yeah, yeah, really good.
Speaker 2: I can't resist hunting these balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got a fever bres More.
Speaker 3: Balls look like glorious bastards of Hitler's face. But it's just.
Speaker 2: Getting a grenade and throwing it at their ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really good. Well, thank you, sayzar. Okay, Well that's our show, episode ninety nine. Say goodbye to Double Digits you two Fox Wow crazy? It is not is for a bi weekly show. That's a lot.
Speaker 3: We've been doing this while coming up on four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like one hundred and ninety eight weeks.
Speaker 3: That sounds right, Yeah, which is bath.
Speaker 1: Nerds out there, which is almost four years a little under.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it started in April twenty twenty one, I remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, episode one hundred or we'll have the tournament there. It'll go up at the normal time. It will almost definitely be longer than a normal episode because I'm sure we'll have some sort of arguments and then again, uh, look mid to late February expect our crossover double campaign series for Total War Warhammer three with me and Vinnie Caravella from Next Lander. If you're not familiar. Hey, just go be a patron for them anyway, because they're awesome. It's Vinnie's Bradshoemaker, It's Alex Navarro.
Speaker 3: There's stuff alo on their show. I'm recording one tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the podcast, Yeah, we've done We've done a few episodes with them and gone on Next Lander, et cetera. But this will be a fun to like recurring thing with Vinnie. You can go to Firescape merch dot com for some sick threads. We have winter hats there. I believe this time probably be helpful. I don't know other kind of warm weather stuff we have. Well, we have sweaters, sweatshirts, hoodies. Go to that's fire Skate Merch. If you just want to become a patron, if you want ad free episodes, you want to just treat it like a tip jar so you appreciate what we do. Or if you want to get that video tier again, if you wait till like mid to late February. If you want to take advantage of the subscription billing now, which does not have to be on the first, you can do that. That is at deep Dishpussy dot com. So go there subscribe, or just go to fireskapcast dot com. Deep Dish Pussy is more fun though, and yeah, we'll be back in a couple of weeks. Dan, what do you have going on in the meantime?
Speaker 4: Call me on Twitch, on Blue Sky, on Instagram. That's pretty much my thing. I'm just Dan Reichord on pretty much everything.
Speaker 1: Mary what about you?
Speaker 2: My stream every Monday on Twitch unless I have a sick tummy. Then I place Spiro on the couch while watching old Simpson episodes, and I'm usually on on the other social media apps. I find that I actually do update my Instagram stories relatively frequently. I just find them fun.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite? Go? What's the best Simpsons episode? Go? You have to pick one of all time?
Speaker 3: Lemon Tree or Monorail.
Speaker 2: You know, Lemon Tree is really up there for me as well.
Speaker 1: I lost my audio. Just keep talking, keep riffing, I'll fix Okay.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get He's not smart enough to get it.
Speaker 2: I I think, damn. Those are actually both excellent episodes. The Monorail one is also very good.
Speaker 3: Go to college.
Speaker 2: Treehouse of Horror six is very good. It might be five. I think it's six. It's the one. So Treehouse of Horror has like some really iconic ones. And there's one where Burns is Nosferatu.
Speaker 3: Oh and it's the like bram Soakers Dracula style with.
Speaker 1: The like the puppy.
Speaker 2: It's really good. I mean, I think they're they're their Treehouse of Horror episodes, they're all their Halloween episodes. They're all fucking slam dunks. But I think there's a couple that are just really iconic. The one where Homer goes into a three D land as a kid that.
Speaker 3: Blew me away, like, holy shitn't at the end, he's like in the real world erotic.
Speaker 2: Cakes and yeah, ooh erotic cakes. Yeah yeah, and the sister is Patty and Samma. It's like he disappeared into fat air. There's just so many good singers in those episodes. Yeah, the one where the I think their ads just come to life. And so Homer steals the giants jelly.
Speaker 3: The lard lad donuts, Yeah, I got your donut?
Speaker 2: What do you gonna do about it? And he starts destroying the town.
Speaker 4: When they give him his thing back and they're like, oh, finally peace, and he just takes the donut and smashes the house and just like runs down the street destroying all the.
Speaker 2: Houses, and Homer goes to Marginie goes, don't you ever get tired of being wrong? And she does sometimes. And I actually say that sometimes if anyone's like I've actually like in a joking way, but like I their lingo is in this brain so deeply that sometimes if like someone has been like just taken l's, I will say, like, what should we get tired of being wrong all the time? Like it's just really good everyday language that you can use. So, yeah, those are I think those treehouses of horror like they have to be really up there for me.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, I've seen some of those. I've seen the Raven.
Speaker 2: Never Mare, never Mare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the Okale Heart one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 3: That's why I know any girl on poets from the Simpsons, there's so.
Speaker 2: Many good ones. The Pool episode when Bart breaks his leg, I.
Speaker 3: Mean the Bart, uh, the gross Bart, the twin that was living in the attic or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that also it's also a treehouse of horror?
Speaker 3: Or the Shining one no Beer, no TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that one is so brilliant. Yeah, don't mind if I do. Yeah, yeah, there's I mean, there's so many episodes, it's very difficult to pick my favorite Simpson's episode, but I think it would be a treehouse of horror.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Great, But thank you all for joining us. We're so glad that you have listened to us and watched us for our patrons, whom we love so dearly. Uh for ninety nine episodes. Next episode will be our hundredth, and we really hope that you will join us. If you're interested in ad free, which is quite the bonus, plus our video where you can see Dan's stupid wooden floor that has wrecked his audio. You can check us out on Patreon and join us there. And then, for all of you delightful people, we will see you on our hundredth episodisode. We can't wait to see you and hear you there.
Speaker 3: I'm not good at this, you're not, so we have Mike do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah for three hours, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I don't like hosting. I'm not Yeah, I don't like hosting.
Speaker 1: See you be there or I'll find you so good there. You have to give me your address. I will be at your house if you don't come to the one hundredth episode.
Speaker 2: This is why he's going to be the host of Hollywood Squares.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right, well no, hang on, that's me, My god, I deserve everything.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take over from either Jimmy Matt.
Speaker 2: Say Jack, Wait is it past Jack?
Speaker 1: What's his name?
Speaker 3: Tom Berger?
Speaker 1: It's about Craig Ferguson.
Speaker 3: Wink Martindale, you go weaving, I'll see you on our Richard Dawson, Banks, Penelope uh hey so yeah bye,