Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started, hour number two here on an NFL Draft day edition of Coffee and Company. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Sorry for the weird first hour, but you know, we made it work. And maybe it's just the fact that this is something I've been doing for a lot long, you know, longer than I realize. Sometimes that you know, technical difficulties, they happen, and I can't really tell you if there's ever been any moment where there's been any kind of technical hiccup, technical issue, you know, just something that you know isn't working the right way. It's never anybody's fault, and nobody ever like wants it to happen or is intending on making you know, your nobody's trying to sabotage the show. So I got good advice many years ago from somebody who said, look, I mean, the best way to get through it is to just you know, not necessarily just be positive. But I'll like realize, you know, getting upset and yelling and you know, wondering who who could who, how could this happen? Whose fault is this?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 2: How could I you know? And a lot of people do act like that, so you know, I learned long ago, but that won't help anything. So we made it work in the first hour. So again, thank you guys for sticking with us, and we'll take you up till six o'clock and if you want to take us with you wherever you go, you can certainly do that. Listen live on the Ouheart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. I mentioned earlier that I'm just a nerd for the for drafts in general, but I think more than anything is that whenever I was a kid, I mean, I think I'm one of many kids across the world. In fact, probably many of you listening were the same way. When you're really young, Like the first thing that you realize, Okay, that's a job. That's what I want to do. I mean, you probably don't even see it as a job when you're a young but like you want to play in the NBA, you want to play in the NFL, you want to play Major League Baseball, and obviously you know when you get hired, you get drafted. I mean, that's really what it comes down to, right. I guess technically your contract that's when you become an employee, but really I mean tonight whenever. However many is it thirty two picks in the first round, Austin? I think yes, right, so thirty two people are getting getting hired tonight essentially. So you know, I wanted to be in the NBA, but you know, I think I was probably about like nine, maybe even younger than that, when I realized, okay, I could still love basketball and make it a big part of my life, but like, yeah, probably not going to go to the NBA. But let me tell you an embarrassing, an embarrassing story that I know I've said this before on the air, but I think it's been a long time, and I would imagine that you don't know this story, Austin, but it's something that's still I get, like, you know, I get embarrassed thinking about it because have you ever have you ever said something as a joke or like, you know, whether it be you say it out loud or you text somebody and you fully are joking. You can't imagine a scenario where they don't know that you're joking and then you realize that they thought you were serious. I mean, you probably don't have an instance of that off the top of your head. Like imagine, you know, when you're trying to be sarcastic and like when you like, you know, self deprecating like that. That's why oftentimes I can't help but just say, I hope you guys can sense the level of sarcasm. I do that because I guess it's an insecurity that like maybe somebody would think I was being serious. I probably don't need to do that, but maybe this thing happening when I was in high school is the reason why I have that insecurity and why I can't help myself it but remind people like, hey, I'm kind of I'm not being serious. But by doing that, it really eliminates any any remote possibility of it being even a little bit funny. But anyways, we had basketball programs for our high school team, and they took our pictures. We get the team picture. Your parents could sponsor a page and like put a message in there. If you were a senior, you got like a bio page. And really what we did is we sold advertisements and we gave away the programs at games, and you know that's how we made money for the like the Booster Club. I'm sure it's not. I'm sure we were not alone. I'm sure others did the same thing. But if you ever if you ever looked at like the media guide for like U of L or UK or anybody where they say, you know, favorite food, you know, who would you most like to meet? Best athlete ever face?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm talking about, right, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in our basketball senior program, one of the questions was who would you most like to meet? And I thought I was making an obvious joke, and I wrote and they put it in the program David Stern on draft night, and it blew me away to find out that like it became something like my friends my peers would talk about because they thought I was being serious. They thought I was under the impression that like I was going to meet like I was going to get drafted, thinking like but I remember thinking, like how could they think that? I? I mean, I was a five to seven white kid from Bullet County, Like I was well aware long before that that I was not going to be in the national basketball Yeah, but like it crushed me to know that, Like people behind my back were like, oh, are we gonna have to tell him or We're gonna have to let him know that, like you know, because you know, you know, like wou would I mean, first of all, who would, like who would think I was serious? But also like I felt, I mean, I felt like an idiot, but also was like wait a second, like because because this is where this is where my mind just played tricks on me. Because then I started to think, like, wait a second, now that I'm telling them that I wasn't being serious, did they actually believe me? Or they like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Make sure, yeah sure, yeah sure big guy. So yeah, dream big dreamer over here.
Speaker 2: But but but that speaks to just how much like I've you know, it's corny as it sounds. If you get drafted tonight or anytime like that's I would imagine even if you go on to have a phenomenal career that has milestones, big moments, winning championships, I don't know, winning MVPs, Like there's way more as far as accomplishments that they would rank higher than just being selected. Because once you get selected, and you know, you get the job. You got to go perform. But I just feel like all of the the countless hours put into, you know, trying to get there, the culmination of it is hearing your name called, I think, and you know, even if you're somebody that ends up falling late. Like I remember both Teddy, I don't remember quite as much you might because you're a Vikings fan. I kind of felt like when Teddy was drafted, you know, he was, you know, he was professional, but like he was almost I think, kind of kind of stunned that he fell that far. Yeah, you know he did, but but Teddy was also cool hand luke, Like he didn't have a whole lot of you know, he was he was a cool customer, didn't show a whole lot of you know. I mean, I wouldn't say he would. I don't want to say that he didn't have any emotion, but like he didn't really go high or low as far as that kind of stuff. With Lamar, I think it was special because I could tell as he hugged his mom he was not expecting to be taken that late. He was clearly pissed. Right he told the Ravens they're going to get a Super Bowl out of him, and he was super motivated and I guess, you know, took it as a challenge to like prove all these teams wrong that passed on him. But I also could sense a level of like, this is our moment, you know what I mean, Like you know, he felt like it actually had happened for I mean, and it did happen for him. So anyways, it's NFL Draft night and I look forward to it. What do you think about it starting at eight o'clock? Like, do you have any complaints? Do you? I mean, I don't. I think eight o'clock is a pretty reasonable time, although a lot of folks are saying it should start at seven. Tomorrow's second and third round will get started at seven, which I don't know. I feel like it with it being like a main event thing for sports, Like, yeah, I think you gotta keep in mind you started at seven o'clock. It's four pm on the West coast, and that's just not ideal.
Speaker 4: And that's where it's it's in. It's in Wisconsin this year, Right's.
Speaker 2: Right, It's so weird. It's in Green Bay.
Speaker 4: It's in Green Bay, which is weird. I actually saw some people posting up online where because I mean right outside of the stadium.
Speaker 3: I mean they're not.
Speaker 4: Doing it at Lamba neighborhoods. I don't think it's just neighborhoods. So you can literally I've seen airbnbs at like ten thousand dollars for a night for Draft night, where people have posted that online for in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Like you're gonna think, like, I don't know, there is there any night life there, anything that you could do like big wigs and uh, you know, just rubbing shoulders with each other, gms and owner.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like where, like where are you like hanging out? I mean, I'm sure Green Bay has a decent scene because you know, on Sundays in the fall they have a lot. I mean they have an insane amount of people who show up, more people there for a game than you know that actually live there and call it home. And I actually like that the NFL Draft is moving around. I could be wrong, but I feel like for a long time it was like always in the same two spots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those Radio City Music Hall. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I remember I went to the draft in Nashville. I mean I didn't actually go and attend it, like you know, in per I mean it was outside, so it wasn't like I was right, but I was just in the streets of it. And I think that was one of the first years where they did it in that kind of setting to where like it was outdoors. It was I mean, it was right on Broadway, and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I mean, it was a little overwhelming because I hate huge crowds and that was my biggest in fact, that was the and I never really thought about it, but somebody actually the picture popped up on my Facebook not that long ago, just as like, you know, what do they call it memories or whatever? Right, And I was showing it to somebody like can you believe what that looked like? And it did look insane, but because there's so many humongous buildings, I mean, it probably wasn't near the amount of people that I thought it was, but everybody was just crammed together, because you know, you're talking about downtown, downtown of a big city. Everybody just trying to fit in, not just in the streets but just in between the buildings.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I remember seeing those photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that they're doing a body places but Green Bay, Like again, green Bay's Green Bay is the most rare pro sports market location. And I don't even think there's a close second because it's not. I mean, it's again no joke. I haven't been, but I have a one of my my uncles is a big time pack or fan. He's from Wisconsin. He's been too many games and he took some of my family before me. It's it's quite literally in a neighborhood, right, It's nothing like anything you'd see. I mean, there are high schools that have a that have like a surrounding of their stadium. That is, it looks a little bit more like you know, I shouldn't say legit because it's cool, but I just don't know if it's it's like if it's cool for the draft. Have you seen cam Ward talking about it?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: He's been pretty outspoken, and I don't know a lot about cam Ward other than just his story as far as being a guy who started it incarnate word, ended up at Washington State, and then of course you know, goes to Miami and now he's gonna be the number one pick. But uh, it's just not something you typically see. He was dogging the city of Green Bay, saying, oh, really to get out of Green Bay. He can't wait, he can't wait to actually get drafted and then leave, and he hopes he never has to come back other than to play the Packers. Like, I don't know, just kind of found it a little I kind of found it a little refreshing because he wasn't like being a jerk about it, but he was just saying what he really thought. And I would imagine that most people agree and credit to him for you know, being braven to actually you know, to actually say it. So yeah, the draft was also in Detroit. I think it was either last year or the year before, and they actually broke the record. So yeah, I love the idea of having it, and didn't Cleveland host it not long ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, it'd just kind of.
Speaker 2: Random too, but it's a good city to have it, just because they love football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess to answer question, I maybe I'm just losing track of time, but like maybe I don't know. I just always thought it started at eight and eight o'clock. I don't know why people would be complaining about that. That's just like prime time anyways on the East Coast. But I've always saw it started around.
Speaker 2: Well, it'll it'll, it'll last. I mean, there's there's certainly the same amount of time between every pick. But if the productions start today, I'm curious when the actual first pick is and I'm curious like when it actually the first round will come to an end. But what I do love about the NFL Draft is that the way they mean there's seven rounds, and because it's split up the way that it is, like you can take in each day and it all be great, right like day one, clearly it's it's the first round. I mean, I think the intrigue in recent years has been let's see who is getting left in the green room? Right, and it happens every year. I can't I mean, I could easily be wrong about this, because you know I'm wrong about things, but I feel like, for as long as I can remember, there's always been someone that ends up there in attendance in the green room that does not get picked. Now, sometimes if it's a player that you know, I mean, if it's somebody that is highly highly regarded, especially a quarterback, they're gonna get way more of that camera time that it's just embarrassing, right, but also you know there's other players that don't get as much attention. But also you know they end up being oh yeah, that guy was there, he didn't get picked, ditty. And then of course, you know, some guys don't come back for Day two because they're embarrassed, and then some guys do. So Day one is it's its own thing, obviously, because you know it's your chance to see which player your franchise is going to invest in. And no matter who you are, I mean, if your first round pick, I guess, you know, depending upon the position, I mean, that's a big investment. Like if you're taking in the first round, you know, I guess every player you take, regardless of the round, you know, you you hope it works out well. But if you think highly enough of somebody to take them with your first pick, I mean, that's that's pretty telling. And there's a lot of you know, expectation there. I mean, like tonight, if you're a team that knows, you know, if you know your team is going after a tackle or you know, maybe just you know, maybe not one of the skill position spots, like you know, that's important and it won't get as much attention if it's not one of those skill position spots, but like you would hope that it's your team that you know, you would hope that they are able to give you a piece that can help you. Look, you know, they'll let you look forward to the next few years and say, Okay, this guy is going to help us in some way, whether it's somebody that's throwing touchdowns, catching touchdowns, or maybe somebody just protecting our quarterback. Now in the day two and Day three, I mean Day two is second and third round is always fun because there's more picks. You still get great value in the second and third round, and then by the time you get to Saturday, I mean, you really never know what to expect. But there have been the rare, rare situations where people have expected to potentially hear their name called in the first round and then you get to Saturday and like, you know, they still haven't been taken. I mean, that's rare, but it has happened. Who comes to mind for you is somebody that just like they just kept showing them in the green room and kept showing them not being taken.
Speaker 3: I mean, probably maybe.
Speaker 2: It's because it's gotta be Will Levis right, Like maybe it's.
Speaker 4: Because of will Levis because like his girlfriend's smoking haunt, she's easy to show on television. But also Aaron Rodgers too like that. I think that was like the first I forgot about that. I think that was like the first time that really was like, all right, you're watching a guy progressively get angry or just like as teams are passing on them, So that Will Levis.
Speaker 3: I can't remember if.
Speaker 4: Malik Willis was he at the draft a few years ago because he was shooting up as possibly the first quarterback taken. I can't remember if they showed him throughout the green room or not.
Speaker 2: I don't remember him being somebody that they just kept showing because what I'm thinking of is being shown on camera because you know, this is a television event. You know, they don't they put it on TV because they know people are gonna watch it, not just because they want you could find out who your team's picking, know everything you need to know about those players without watching it on TV. But it's a production. And me again, there's a reason they invite certain guys there because it's part of the whole process. It's not necessary as far as like like you know, again, when there was a draft when COVID happened, when Roger Goodell did it in his basement. I mean like that was kind of proof that, like you really don't need to have I mean again, I know why they do it. I love that they do it, but you know you have to you have to know going in if you're a fringe pick, you're kind of a buzz name. But there's a lot of talk that like maybe you get drafted in the top five, maybe you slipped around two, and that's not that unheard of when it comes to the NFL draft, especially with all the just so many talking heads talking about what they're hearing, all the reports, rumors and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So if I was let me ask you this, if you were, if you were in the position of where you got the invite, and it was quite literally a fifty to fifty like probability that you hear your name called, and you knew that because you were Austin Montgomery, a handsome quarterback that's about to change a franchise. You knew they were going to have the camera on you because you got your lovely fiance next to you. You guys are looking like a million bucks. Would you would it be worth potentially being that guy to be there or would you rather watch it home with.
Speaker 3: Friends and family.
Speaker 4: That's where and that's where my insecurity would kick in, and I probably wouldn't make the decision until like the last second, just because I'm an attention attention grabber.
Speaker 3: I would still go not you, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish you, I wish you guys yourself up more.
Speaker 4: Never never never meet I Yeah, I would told, I was told I would, told I would do it. It would be worth it to me, especially if I just keep getting shown. And you know, even if I'm irrelevant in ten years, they'll probably be showing that at that year's dress, so I could look back and say, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think I would probably just just again because like you can being drafted, if you're there or not, like it doesn't change anything as far as like your future, but it's it's the moment. And if I think if I had, if they I feel like, if you get the invite, there's a good chance that they think you're going to be taken, or maybe they know it's going to be like border line, because again I didn't realize this the NFL works with ESPN to this out. He gets invited, meaning ESPN wants. I mean, look, ESPN pays a lot of money to be able to put this on television, to make money and monetize the production. So once I realized that, then that's confirmation. Again, it's not surprised, but like they put people there who won they know we're gonna get picked, but also because they think that, you know, like if there's somebody that is because they don't invite thirty two people, right, but and you can go if you want or like that's another thing, being drafted in the audience and walking down Like I used to think, like, man, that's kind of weird. But then again, like no, if you know you're being picked at some point and you want to have the moment where you walk across the stage and shake the commissioner's hand, I totally get it. Like again, people can make fun of you, I wouldn't give a damn. I mean maybe if I was twenty one twenty two, I would be not I guess comfortable enough my own skin to where I would feel like, yeah, I don't want to be that guy that walks down on Saturday afternoon. Is a six round pick. But if if it's because of some last people get off on social media about me, I'll deal with that if it means I can actually have that, you know, have the picture right, put that, put the cap on, shake the hand of the commissioner, like I hug your mom before you walk up there. Like that stuff. I mean, that's stuff you'll never forget. So I think I would risk it. But again, you know, obviously you've got you got it, you got it. There's a potential chance that you end up being that guy. Just keep showing and sometimes you won't get any reaction. I feel like, to be honest, Johnny Manziel, he went later than I think. Well, I don't know what was he supposed to go because he was there. He got drafted in the first round by the Browns. But that was like mid round, wasn't It wasn't that early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think he was the first pick, was he? I don't think.
Speaker 2: No, No, Baker was, and Baker wasn't there. Did you remember that?
Speaker 3: Yes? I do, he was. He was Amber What he did I don't. I don't so Baker and I don't.
Speaker 2: I always feel like I need to like put a disclaimer on it because I feel like Louisville fans and the Baker was a pretty easy guy to dislike in college and whatnot, And really, I guess he's been kind of easy to dislike overall, just because you know, he's a little arrogant. You know, he did the planning the flag at Ohio State. He got himself into some trouble running from the cops when he was in college. But and also he took a heisman that a lot of people felt like was Lamar's. And honestly, I don't think anybody's ever gonna win the Hosman twice. I just don't. I don't think Lamar would have wanted it to be had a substantially better season than he did that year. So he's kind of been long story short. I think a lot of Louisville fans just are more anti Baker than you know, the other way around. But the more I consider like everything about him, I kind of like him one just because of his story. But he some would say this was corny, and I get it, but he idolized Brett Farv growing up, like he wanted to be Brett Farv. So if you remember, he recreated the photo that Brett Farv had with his family when he got drafted in whatever round it was. Yeah, he was in his bedroom with the acid washed gene Southern miss ball cap I think it was or something like that, and Baker he basically recreated that room from like whatever year it was that Barv was drafted many many years ago, and like the deck or in the room, the clothes, like they went back in time and just recreated that exact moment. And I thought that, you know, again, I think he got made fun of more than anything, but I thought that was kind of cool, especially because he was a number one pick and he wasn't there, you know what I mean, Like, that's that's to me, I think that's I think.
Speaker 3: That's pretty That's a fantastic photo. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think with Johnny Man's O. The reason I was bringing him up is because he was the first example for me, at least it comes to mind that he didn't show any emotion. He just sat there. But yet he didn't get picked, and if any quarterback got picked ahead of him, they would show him. And I'm thinking, like, okay, you know, I get why they're show Him's Johnny Football like he's he was as polarizing as anybody in college football in a long long time. But like, you know, like it's like they're just hoping he does something and he was just sitting there. Also, what year was that. It's like twenty thirteen, maybe when he got drafted something like that, because the internet was a different place then than it is now. And I remember somebody photoshopped poor and maybe maybe they were poor at photo shopping or just didn't have the ability to you know, use AI and create images with with AI to where but I remember it was a very obviously fake cup of water that somebody turned yellow and made it look like beer, and somebody shared Baker Mayfield's not he's getting passed in the draft and he's just drinking beer to get through it. And I'm like, people if they're idiots that believe that, Like it was so so obviously a doctored image, but yet at that time, you know, people weren't as aware that somebody could you know, easily recreate something that's not real and make it look real and fool a lot of people. But yeah, I don't I don't know who could. I mean, we'll see, I just I can't think of who would be the guy tonight that like everybody expects to get taken that doesn't. That's been talked about. Now they'll be there'll be people there. I'm sure maybe one or two players that are in attendance that are expected to maybe go mid to lay and they don't go. That that'll happen. But as far as the big names, I don't know if we're going to see like something we saw with well Will Levis and obviously he's not been a great quarterback since he got to the NFL, but I mean that was no. I I don't know if I enjoyed that because I'm a Louisville fan and he's a pretty easy guy to dislike because you know, he had his way with us. But also he was just real cocky. He put mayonnaise on bananas and that's weird, Like that's not cool. But I mean that was crazy. The fact that he that he didn't get taken until the next day, when some people thought he was going to be the number one pick. Yeah, that like there was buzz that he could go number one, and obviously that did not happen. So all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. Quincy Riley not going to be taken tonight, obviously, but he's starting to get some buzz to be one of the more underrated quarterbacks in this draft. So we'll get to that and a lot more, taking you until six o'clock. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thank you for hanging out with us here on a Thursday afternoon. Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. This is not something that I intended to make part of the show today because it's it's I mean, it wouldn't shock me if many people remember this name once I say it. But there's really not a whole lot to add to it. But I'm going to test the one and only Austin Montgomery, the Trivel Chief, who he and I are a lot alike in many ways, but mostly because we love Louisville basketball, and yeah, we obsessed over it. We're lunatics for it. When I say the name Jordan Fair, do you know who that is?
Speaker 3: Jordan Fair? Was he an assistant coach?
Speaker 2: Correct He was an assistant coach briefly at Louisville and he was believed to be. I mean, we really never knew specifically who was who was behind the scenes basically, you know, I mean Jordan Fair made in il cool before it was cool, if that makes sense, Like he you had, you had Jordan Fair, who a lot of people thought was Coach Mike, who of course was referenced by you know, I don't remember who it was, but one of the play you know, if you go back and look at all those documents that that that showed the investigation, the findings as far as investigating. Actually, I'm sorry, Coach Mike was the Katina pal stuff. Excuse me. And I don't say this to like make fun of Louisville, because why would I do that. I'm just being honest with you. I mean I had a I guess I could say I was fortunate, but you know, I was on the air every day for three hours during two like crazy scandals, one being the Katina pal stuff and the other being the Brian Bowen situation, which a lot of people understandably so on the outside, I mean they would they would they would confuse those two and not realize like that, you know, those were two completely separate things that had nothing to do yep with with one another, right, So you know, anyways, Jordan Fair was Jordan Fair was was, you know, an assistant coach, And I mean, it always looked really shady to me that Rick Patino hired him, given his background. He was a young and up and coming guy as far as like an AAU dude, and he you know, he clearly, you know, had really established himself on the circuit. But he was really young, and Rick doesn't usually hire guys like that. So it's one of those things that always made me think, like, Rick's not dumb. He wouldn't hire Jordan Fair unless he felt like Jordan Fair could bring something to the table and help him get players. Now does that mean he was helping get them money so they would come to Louisville. We'll probably never know, but anyways, you know, he was he was let go himy Kenny Johnson, I think around the same time. I don't remember if there was a show cause, but I would have probably never ever thought about Jordan Fair ever again until today because he is now back in the game. So Arkansas State hired a new coach, Ryan Panoni, and he has hired Jordan Fair as an assistant to his staff. So yeah, So Travis Brandam reported the news and then says that Fair is a high level recruiter that has worked as a personal player development coach and to NBA players and prepared players for the NBA Draft. So it is wild to think that like in this world Jordan Fair would be viewed as like this star who has these relationship with players, like he probably would be. You know, he's a coach, so clearly he's doing that. But like what used to be viewed as something that you know, you're shady. You know, you can't hire that guy, he's got baggage, he'll get you in trouble. Now you don't have to worry about that. And now those guys are like you need them, you know what I mean. Like what Will Wade used to be, you know, looked at as the bad boy. For now you know he'll that'll help him. Now he's also a really good coach. But like, let's put it this way. Will Wade obviously, you know, was a better coach than McNee State deserved. But he was in the position to take that job because he was out of work looking for a gig because of what played out at lsu I mean, I think what what Will Wade was doing that he got in trouble for that, he got caught that he was that he was heard talking about on that wire. I mean whatever you want to call that cheating or you know whatever, I mean that helped. I'm sure he used that to get players to come to McNee state, you know what I mean, Like he'll hustle, he'll find money, and he'll make it work the ultimate you know, players coach as they say.
Speaker 3: So you know.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Jordan Fair back in the game, and it made me think, like there's if you if you're somebody, if you're a sick oh like us, meaning you follow this stuff, you know, probably more than you should. I shouldn't say that because obviously if you're like a day one, day to day listener and you are like your hobby your interest is keeping up with anything and everything that is going on with U of L or UK, then you know you're our people. That's who we that's a that's our demo. Right, So you know, don't take it the wrong way. I'm one of you. But you know there's certain names that like only you would only you would remember if you're if you're kind of you know someone that lets this kind of consume you the way it does a lot of us. And I'm gonna give you another name, because it would be nice to just like think of eight ten names and just ask people and see, okay, do you remember this? And if you don't, like again once once I started talking about Jordan Fair Austin, I'm sure you were well aware of, like you know the story, but like you didn't name. Yeah, how about this name?
Speaker 3: This one?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna this one. I'm going to guess that you may not know it. I tried to think of the person, but I couldn't think of the name, and I had to google it to get the name. What about Noah Peterson?
Speaker 3: No, not off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: And this one it took place shortly after the pandemic, so it's kind of a blur. This one might not even be one that many people remember, or maybe you do. How about whenever we found out that there was a guy named Noah Peterson who'd been hired by the UFL Athletic Department and we had awful, awful stadium issues like at the football ball.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes you remember this? Yes?
Speaker 2: So I mean it was a nightmare they tried to open up the stadium, and they did open up the stadium for the first game. There were no bathrooms that were working. Nobody could use their cards to purchase anything. They went cashless, which became a huge issue, which meant every purchase in the entire stadium was relying upon connection. And it was a mess. And to be fair, give Vince Tyree credit, like he didn't run from it. He had a press conference specifically to address that and to discuss things that they're doing to try to fix it and to apologize. I mean, they got out in front of it. But they had to because it was a next level It was a next level disaster and it you know, there were countless factors that led to why it was that bad. Most importantly, they couldn't get people to work, Like they didn't have the I mean, they couldn't hire enough people, so they relied on a staffing company, and that staffing company even had a tough time getting people to like come and work the games as far as concessions, facilities, maintenance, that kind of stuff, And I mean it was bad. Well, you know bands who have been fans for you know, twenty thirty years that have probably had some issues before. They were so appalled that it was as bad as it was, they wanted to call somebody. Right, even if you know nothing's going to change, there are some folks out there that, man, if I can just fire off a very passive, aggressive professional email to somebody to let them know my thoughts on their service, I'll feel better, you know what I mean. Like people are like that. So if you go to the Google and you google, you know, University of Louisville Athletics Fan Experience, Fan Engagement, whatever the title was, you would go to see the name Noah Peterson. Well then you would find Noah Peterson on social media, and everybody realized this guy was like the ultimate UK fanboy, like he was a KSR groupie, And the majority of his social media posts were not just like El's down. We're talking like saying awful things about Lamar Jackson. I mean just being the apps, Like when you think of the worst human being as far as how they behave on social media, saying awful things. That was this guy's Twitter account. I think he had like a picture of Matt Jones as his profile picture and again he had I say again, like we just talked about this the other day. I remember thinking, even at the time, there's no scenario that the issues at u of L for the football game had anything to do with this guy. But what are the chances that when you look up fan Experienced, stadium Experience, whatever his title was, it would be this UK honk that like his personality is being a dirt bag to Louisville fans, Like that's what he does. He was fresh out of college, and uh, I mean again, I never believed that he had anything to do with it, but what a bad like what bad luck was that? And also just terrible, like the optics of it, Like you couldn't script it to be worst. U L football has the ultimate meltdown as far as just the stadium experience, and fans say they're never going to go back to another game this year until they get it figured out and they know that it's an issue and they they're trying their best, and yet a lot of people are like, well that's what you get because you're hiring UK fans to run the games, and it's like, that's so clearly not what happened. And the biggest issue is that, like and I give Vin's credit you know, Vince, Vince Tyree took some heat because he clearly, you know, has U of L in his blood. His father's Charlie Tyrae, one of the best that's ever done it. But Vin's played bat baseball at UK, you know what I mean, like he and when he was a UK like he was a UK fan, So there were always people that felt like, well he was he was appointed to that position because Bevin ran Jurish out of town and they wanted to put a UK guy in that seat. And I don't know, maybe some people still believe that, maybe maybe there's truth to it. I don't know, but you know, Vince was pretty he was professional, but also it was quite clear he wanted everybody at the press conference that was either there or listening to know, Yeah, I don't know how this guy got hired, but we've addressed it, you know. I think they moved him to like a different role, or maybe he moved on, but like that was the old I mean, I'm sure other other programs, other fan bases, like they've got wild stories that like they think is just so crazy. But and I'm sure part of it for me is just that I do this every day. Like it's it's you know, it's what I do, it's my life. But like we've had some stories over the years, Austin that you can't make up, Like you can't it's like sharing that whole thing for years back, like it almost still doesn't seem real.
Speaker 3: There was a time where anytime I ever heard on the radio local radio, because always listen to local radio just while driving work, and you already know, and even just watching the ticker on ESPN, every time I saw the words breaking news college basketball.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Louisville.
Speaker 3: And most of the time it was like what do what do they do this time?
Speaker 2: I mean the Dino Gattio.
Speaker 3: Thing, like, ah, just when you thought you were out of the woods.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you know, that was a that was a different I mean, that was a completely different regime, Like we had entirely new administrators in the athletic department, and then because of the nature of that story and the crime, the FEDS arrested Dino Gattio at work. Like, I mean, again, you can't make it up, Chris, it's I mean, and really like that's just terrible. I mean, if you think that that Mac was Mac was wrong because Dino and Luke should not have been let go. That's fine, like whatever, but for it to play out the way that it did. Like again, talk about bad luck for Mac Like he got he got I mean, he got extorted. He was essentially the victim here, although I guess his employer was the victim because they're the ones who reported it. But like, I mean, you can't. I mean, I've never believe we're cursed or anything like that. And in the end that didn't end up doing anything to like I mean, I do think it hurt Chris, But I mean, I tell you what, man, there's just there's there's some things that now that I look back on it, and maybe it's just because when you're caught up in you know, when you're caught up in the wh when it's ongoing, you don't really think. You don't think about ten years from now, twenty years from now, like what you'll think when you do go back in time to kind of relive the stories. But I kind of feel like, as I'm sitting here now and on Thursday afternoon in the four o'clock hour, I kind of feel like it'll be a shock to me if I get to seventy eighty years old, God willing, of course, and I don't and I'm not able to tell people. Yeah, I kind of was able to cover and you know, yeah, you know, for a good run. It was the flagship station where we had the games. And obviously I've been you know, I've been, you know, I've covered U of l for for you know, over a decade now, so it's not like I've done it for my whole life. But I think I'll look back and think that era for me, especially whenever I was kind of you know, getting my opportunities to grow and have a bigger platform like the one we have here, Like I was doing that in the midst of like an era that you really can't like you can't make up, yeah, you know what I mean. Like I'll share stories, like maybe I won't be able to do it because I'm not confident enough, but like I think we could write a book or have somebody help us write a book about these stories. And you know, I mean for louisvill fans it might give them PTSD, but I think other people who aren't connected, who maybe you know, weren't even old enough to remember that going on at the time, they'll read it and think like, Wow, it was wild at U of L during those years.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: I remember waking up early one day and watching the whole, the whole outside the Lines on ESPN, first thing that came on at like eight o'clock in the morning, and just just I was just trying to run from it at that point. I didn't want to watch anything to do with it.
Speaker 3: We were talking about thirty thirty.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would intentionally, dude, I would intentionally, and it probably wasn't good for me because you know, I needed to be up up to date. But I know exactly what you mean. I would intentionally, like run from the TV, change the channel if there would be national conversations about the Containa palases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't want to make these squirm. Yeah, it's gross.
Speaker 4: And like I said, we're talking about thirty for thirties yesterday. Imagine the one that's probably gonna be on Louisville or the untold, because there's there's definitely got to be some sort of like wrap up or some sort of recap of everything that's happened, the downfall, the stripping of the national title, and just everything that went on through those years. I don't know if it's going to be a whole Louisville thing or Rick Bettino type of thing that they do it in Louisville's just more or less involved because that's where he was. But I mean look back on that, and conversely, they might they use local radio calls.
Speaker 2: You might hear yourself on there, oh yeah, oh yeah, And I tell you what, like just kind of thinking back and again there's, as I said to kind of start the conversation, it's not something that's like good, but it's just the reality of it. A lot of these things run together to where like you don't really remember like the time. I mean, it's it's hard to keep up with unfortunately, with all the drama and all the stories. But one thing that ten years later I'm really surprised by is that Andre McGee has never since publicly surfaced. I mean, yeah, live, but like he completely went off the grid and nobody has any I mean I don't think there's been any. I mean, I won't say who it is. You may be able to guess because he's still local around here and he played with him, but like nobody knows, like he's complete, he doesn't talk to anybody like Andrea McGee. Like, again, I'm sure he's okay as far as like you know, alive. But you know, it's hard to be off the grid this day and age with technology, and especially when you're somebody like he. Wouldn't he wouldn't be noticed if he walked into like a mall in a random city in America, because you know, it's not to that level. In hell, so much time's passed now, like he may be able to kind of blend in, But I mean, I thought for sure he would. He would defend himself, he would come out and tell his side of the story. He would say he was sorry, like one of those things. And he completely has never publicly surfaced. I don't to my knowledge, there's not been anybody that's because here's the thing, like if somebody, let's let me just give you an example. If if the Capitol J's out there, like the Bozich or the Crawfords, if they got a tip and they and they knew that that Andrea McGee was back in town working a normal job, they would probably try to do a story on him because that would be interesting to see, like how's life after all that happened, and you know, to my knowledge, he's just he's staying low, and you know that's that's that's hard to do this day and age.
Speaker 3: You would think he would have said something now because we're alls so good.
Speaker 2: And she would have, thoughty but defended himself because I never said a word. Therefore, all anybody's ever thought is that, like, I'm sure other people think he was just the I'm sure there are people that think he didn't do anything and it was all Patino, which is not realistic, but nonetheless, like he didn't have any I mean, wouldn't you want to say something even if you're guilty, Like you would want to say something to like show remorse and apologize, or if you didn't do it and like you know, you're being the fall guy, you would want to say something. He just completely went ghost.
Speaker 3: So much time has been removed, like you said, I mean, I don't think. I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when all that stuff came out and everyone was so freshly hot about it, probably stay off the grid. But now, like now, i'd be a perfect time to come out and tell your side of the story. I don't think anyone's going to be I don't know, Mad at you. I don't know, when you open up that wound, say everything that you did, and if you're under the impression that everything he did was there's ever a.
Speaker 2: Time, But there's ever a time to do it. It would be when things are going really really well that way, like, for example, if Pat Kelsey, you know, gets Louisville to a Final four next year or something. I mean, I don't think Andrea McGee would be embraced or welcome back with open arms or anything like that. But we wouldn't think like, oh my god, we're still sitting in misery all because of you. We would think like, hey, you know what, that sucked. It was embarrassing. I hate that it happened, but things played out a certain way and now here we are and we wouldn't change it, you know what I'm saying, Like, Yeah, so I don't know if we'll ever hear from him. But again, I not that people sit around and think about Andrew McGee, but I do think when you consider that it's been ten years since that story and he was coaching as a college basketball assistant elsewhere at the time, he's completely like the last time anybody anybody knew of him. It was the outside of the lines guy who got into the Uber. He was driving Uber in Kansas City because he'd been let go at his job at UMKC and he didn't want to talk. And to my knowledge, nobody's ever had him on record saying anything since then, so kind of wild. All right, let's do this. Let's go ahead and get to a quick break here. We'll come back for another quick segment and keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton's right here on sports Fox seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We were wrapping up the four o'clock hour. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a Thursday afternoon, getting set for the NFL Draft tonight. By all accounts, cam Ward will be the first player taken as the Titans just what three years after?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Two or three years after drafting a quarterback? And well, I guess they didn't take Levis in the first round. He fell to the second round. But at the time, I think they believed he was gonna be a franchise guy. And you know, I guess maybe, well, I don't know what happens with Levis here. I mean, like, you know, I would imagine cam Ward's being drafted to be the guy. He's probably the same ages with Levis, probably, I think, so yeah, so you know, maybe Levis becomes traded. I don't know, but I now understand. I don't know why I'm an idiot that I've had a lot going on the last twenty four hours where it's just my mind is probably not I don't know if it works that well in general, but probably not working as good as it typically does with the last day of just you know, being hectic on my end. But I get now why Kentucky Football's Twitter account was being roasted on by everybody, including like thrown fans, because they posted a graphic of Levis and I mean it really it was him doing L's down, And I guess they're just acknowledging, like, hey, the draft is coming up tonight or tomorrow. I think they posted to yesterday and we want to put some content out And oh, by the way, we had a quarterback taken in the draft a couple of years ago, so you know it's cute. Here's here's us reminding you. Yeah, cute, but yeah, the picture says now, and then Will Levis and it shows a picture of Levis doing l's down in a Kentucky uniform, and then a picture of him in a Titan uniform throwing the ball. And I guess again, it's just like content that they're putting out there too, you know, let people know, Hey, it's draft day, here's one of our notable draft moments, stories, whatever. But like it's kind of a self own, is it not? Because the first got taken is there to take his job? Like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You're reminding people, Oh, yeah, he was just taken by the Titans a couple of years ago, and you know now they're already moving on from him and drafting a quarterback with the first pick.
Speaker 4: Nick, they're most likely I mean the room right, it's and they're most likely probably gonna be looking to trade him tonight. While you're asking what they're what happens Will Lev's from Levis from here? As far as I also know, every team has a pick in the first round tonight. So for there's a there's there's a bet. Sure the very rare, So expect a ton of trades expected to go very long tonight. I think there's gonna be a ton of set you up for that one. I expect, I expect there to be I expect there to be, like, uh, more than a few trades, and you'll probably see Will.
Speaker 3: Levis wind up in one of those trade packages.
Speaker 2: Trades fun, and you know, there can be value in trades from the organizational standpoint, where it's a good move for the you know, for the franchise overall, but from the entertainment aspect as a fan, when they're just doing a bunch of trades for picks and it's not even for like a big name like you know, that doesn't do much for me. Again, it's still you know they're doing They're not They're not making these moves to entertain us. They're doing it to you know, figure out what's going to make the most sense for their franchise moving forward. But it would be wild if you see like a franchise player unexpectedly get moved tonight because of like you know, and that that's that's the kind of stuff that makes the draft really really fun. Have you ever seen the movie with Kevin Costner.
Speaker 3: A Draft Day? Have you seen it?
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it. I've watched I haven't watched it, fully, I kind of know what goes on.
Speaker 2: Though, Well, let me tell you this. I I've learned that like I'm not, I'm certainly not a movie snob, and I guess, like I you know, I'm I'm a peasant when it comes to like taste in movies, because there's a lot of movies that I hear like, oh, it's terrible, it's it's awful, it's corny, it's predictable, cliche, and like I typically end up like thinking those movies are pretty good. Like I like that movie, and I'm pretty sure it's it's like widely known as like one of the biggest you know, jokes of all time in cinema. I mean that's an exaggeration, but like any buzz that movie got was about how awful it was. And I watched it the other day. It was actually on like v H one and it and you know, it's kind of corny, it you know, it's clearly you know, there's clearly some cliche stuff within it, but like overall, like I thought, it was actually pretty good. I mean, it's got big names in it too, so but yeah, that that whole you know, that movie shows a lot of different trades and behind the scenes stuff of like, and I'm sure it's not exactly like it happens in real life, but you know, big you know, drama trades, unexpected moves like that's what makes the draft entertaining.
Speaker 4: And Jennifer Gardner and Dennis Leary, Yeah I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Dennis Leary is the is like the the prickly coach who's fighting with the GM to get you know, get him what he wants to work with. Costner is that's who's in it, right, Costner is, yeah, character think he's he's the GM and there's a new rich owner that owns the team and Costner took over for his dad, and everybody's claiming he only got the job because of his dad, but he's got to prove it to himself and then he ends up dating it's it's again like I can't tell you that it's it's must watch, but like you know, you can you know the quality, the acting, maybe even the overall storyline. You can compromise there. For me, if it's a movie where the subject matter is something I'm really interested and that's why Christmas movies. If we're being honest, a lot of them suck. They're stupid, but it's Christmas and we want to, like, you know, we give it a pass as far as where they cut corners because again it's it's it's about Christmas and we want to be in the season. So yeah, Draft Day, I'm just here to tell you, if you want to watch it, I think you'll realize that it may not have been as bad as everybody said it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Chadwick Boseman was in it too play. Yeah, that's why I remember the name that Vonte Mack, And yeah, always thought it was weird because I remember watching it, the highly regarded draft prospect they're going after in.
Speaker 2: A bad way, and that's what everybody like, Oh it sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's once again, I've only watched parts of it, but I've always heard everyone say it sucked. But I, like, I didn't hate it when watching it. I did think it was odd that that guy that they're going after. Find out that the Vonte Mack, the guy that Chad Chadwick Boseman was playing, was a top draft expert that or the top draft prospect that everyone was going after, and he was a linebacker.
Speaker 3: Like that's not that that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: So so how it played out was that he was the ultimate surprise there. Yeah, they got they got crushed for taking him because there's this there's this darling quarterback that everybody's talking about, like, you got to take him if he's there, he's special, he's the next guy of all people? Did he his is his agent, that's right, meaning the star quarterback. Well, Kostner ends up doing all these you know, just there's something he doesn't. There's something he doesn't. It just isn't. It isn't in adding up to him. He thinks there's some reason why he should avoid this quarterback that everybody has said it's going to be the next face of the NFL, and he just can't figure out what it is. But he's digging. He's digging, and he finally realizes that when he was in college, none of his teammates came to his day celebration, and that led to him realizing that he wasn't a good teammates. So again, like it's kind of corny, I guess, but like those are things that quite literally we've heard stories for years about the NFL asking questions and I probably you know, there's more examples of them overreacting to something like that. But regardless of what they do with the information, if they're going to invest in you and hire you essentially and make you an early picks, certainly they're gonna know everything about you.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, if you watch it and you hate it, then you know, I'm sorry, But I think you know. I think it's actually a movie that if if you did. And also the bar is probably not high because all we ever heard about, at least from my knowledge, was that it was terrible. But I actually thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 3: Kevin Costner in sports movies usually hit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the movie where he was like the pitcher in baseball. That was one that came out when I was a kid. And then obviously there's that golf movie. Is it ten Cup?
Speaker 3: Is he in that ten Cup? Yes, he's in ten Cup two.
Speaker 2: He's a star.
Speaker 3: Great golf movie, He's a star.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm sorry. The baseball movie. I was thinking that was Dennis Quaid, the Rookie.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kevin Costner is the Bull Durham, Bull Durham.
Speaker 2: Yes, I knew it was a baseball movie in there. All right, quick break, we'll come back five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Yah Yah