Speaker 1: You're listening to I AM six forty the bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f.
Speaker 2: I AM six forty bill Handle.
Speaker 1: Here. It is a Friday morning, June twentieth, footy Friday, and it was Solstice Friday, longest day of the year. So enjoy, especially you druids, as you dance around Stonehenge and do whatever incantations you do. Yesterday, the Nice Circuit Court of Appeals gave the President a big win, and this has to do with him federalizing the National Guard after Gavin Newsom said, no, don't do it. Usually when the president national federalizes the National Guard, it's upon the request of the governor or a mayor. But the governor says, hey, I need some help here, and it's happened a few times when you have made riots, etc. Or natural disasters and a lot of help is needed. Well, in this case, the president did it on his own because of security and the invasion of illegal migrants and these protests that were occurring, and his argument was that this is a national security issue and therefore I have a right to do this. And of course an immediate lawsuit was filed by Newsom and other activist organization saying no, he didn't, he went past his authority. Okay, there's a lawsuit. So now you have the lower court agrees with Newsom, and on the appeals the Third Circuit Court or the Ninth Circuit Court, three judges. This was a unanimous decision, which one was a Trump appointee.
Speaker 2: That's it said, the president can do this.
Speaker 1: Now, it's a little bit complicated because one of the things that the administration said is that the president has un bridled he has unbridled control here his decision making. The courts don't even have the right to review it. And the court came down and said, well, that part is not true. We do have the right to review it. So you lose on that one.
Speaker 2: Mister President.
Speaker 1: However, based on the history of the United States and based on the exigency and not only the right, but the duty of a president to keep security to what's the number one thing that a president always says that the duty of a president is to keep Americans safe. Now, this president, the duty is to sell us as many coins that have his face on it as you possibly can.
Speaker 2: But it is to keep Americans safe.
Speaker 1: And what the court said is that is his primary duty and unless he makes some wild ass.
Speaker 2: Decision which is completely.
Speaker 1: Out of the mold and makes no sense whatsoever. And the example I can bring up is you have one person caught at the border, and the president declares that an invasion and then federalizes the National Guard across the country. And by the way, Elena Kagan in another case asked the attorney for the administration, does the president have the right if there is a problem in one area, one small area of the country, to federalize national guard across the country. And the attorney said, yeah, he does. Well, the court said he doesn't. But great deference, not just deference, is given to the president, great deference which means that effectively the president does have unbridled power and decision making. Under these circumstances, you win because in order to argue that he has exceeded his authority, as I said, the decision has to be so arbitrary, so capricious, that it defies credulity and.
Speaker 2: Makes no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 1: And the argument is, if you look at the millions of migrants that have come across the country over the last several years, you can say this is an invasion, and even though I don't think it's an invasion. You can say, those people can say this is an invasion, and the Court's going to say, you know, we don't agree with that. But the president has the right to call it an invasion. The President has the right to say the protesters are doing so in such a way is that the security of federal buildings, the security of federal personnel is at risk. And therefore I am federalizing the National Guard. And the Court greed and said, yep, you certainly do so this is considered a big win. Of course, this is going to be appealed immediately to the Supreme Court, and the Court is going to hear a bunch of these cases.
Speaker 2: Now, the Court is not going to hear all of them. It's impossible.
Speaker 1: And why is that Because the court hears about seventy cases a year. Five thousand cases are submitted to the Supreme Court every year, so the court denies ninety something percent. And already dozens of these cases have been submitted to the Supreme Court by states that Attorney's general and local governments and governors. In dealing with the Trump administration and what the Trump administration is doing, how much is the court going to hear. Oh, here's some this one who the hell knows. I think those that argue that he doesn't have the authority the court is going to hear. All right, Coming up the Democratic Party. You would think that the Democratic Party would be pretty powerful right now, especially in light of how many people do not like Donald Trump. Well, he has his followers. Those that don't like him are more than like him. And yet at the same time, what's happening to the Democratic Party. It's being cut off at his knees. It's cutting itself off at his knees. And I'll explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fine, a M six.
Speaker 1: Forty bill handle here on a Friday, foody Friday, June twentieth day of Solstice, the longest day of the year. Before I get to the Democratic Party collapsing onto itself, I want to remind you that coming up Saturday, June twenty eight, at eight o'clock at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, there will be a concert the LA Lawyers, Philharmonic and Legal Voices and IMC. The event every year and it is a group of musicians, world class musicians from the legal profession, lawyers, judges, pair of legals, etc. Who decided instead of going into music full time they would make a living and went into the legal field. And so it's Saturday night and they're gonna be playing Carmina Burana pictures at an exhibition and a bunch of selections from Phantom of the Opera. I'd love to have you guys there. Go to La Lawyersphil dot org. Tickets are very reasonable. Twenty bucks up. That's La Lawyers Phil is in Philharmonic, La Lawyers Phil dot org. All right, now, Democratic Party is absolutely falling apart.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got my dog. Okay, hello, I got my little wing here who comes in in the morning.
Speaker 1: Says hello, Democratic Party is falling apart. I don't know if you read Jake Tapper's book Original Sin, which I loved, And it has to do with Joe Biden effectively destroying the party, him running for president when he shouldn't have, and the inner circle of the Democratic hierarchy backing him up and covering up how screwed up he was. But that just gives you an idea of, well, how screwed up.
Speaker 2: The demoparty Democratic Party is?
Speaker 1: It is now for the most part irrelevant, But look what's happened over the past weekend, right Americans demonstrated against the president, the No King's protest, which was at the same time that the anniversary of the US Army two hundred and fifty years and Donald Trump's birthday seventy nine. And so look at what happened during the parade. How many people actually showed up? You know, Trump said there'd be two hundred thousand people there, right. Did you see any video of crowds there? I didn't. In the meantime, did you see videos of the No King's protests across two thousand cities where it is estimated five million people showed up. You would think based on the fact that this enormous outpouring of anti Trump sentiment, and it was an anti Trump demonstration, no question about it. Well, it wasn't organized by the Democratic Party. It had nothing to do with the Democratic Party. It was very grassroots. And the point is exactly that the Democratic Party wasn't involved. The Democratic Party has fallen apart what they did during the last election, if you think about it, is number one ran Joe Biden. He had said he wasn't going to but of course he changed his mind and decided he is the hubris.
Speaker 2: He is the best thing for America.
Speaker 1: I don't know why presidents say that I am the best thing that could ever happen to America. And you need me more than I need you. And this is to Americans, all right.
Speaker 2: So you got a guy who basically has lost it.
Speaker 1: He's lost as marbles, and the Inner Circle covered up the fact that he lost his marbles, and book goes into to what extent That was number one problem, or actually several problems. Number two problem is that the Democratic Party, instead of telling people, instead of telling voters us what they will do for us, it was anti Trump. And you know there are enough Trump voters that just didn't want to hear it. You know, stop attacking us.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do? Stop attacking Trump?
Speaker 1: And then the third one was Kamala Harris, who, if she had actually run on her own during the primary, I completely believe would not have a chance in hell of getting the nomination. Why did she get it, Well because she was the vice presidential candidate and the Democratic Party decided, no, we've got someone here who is inheriting it. That's the other thing Democratic Party does is a certain Hillary Clinton. She had run during the primary, Obama won the primary.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming a deal was cut.
Speaker 1: Tell you what, you endorse me, And this happens across the board, particularly during the Trump the Trump White House. You endorse me, and you will get and in the case of Hillary, you will get the nomination next time out because you're inheriting it. Well, look at what's going on currently. You endorse me, and here's what you're gonna get. Homeland Security, Department of Health and Human Services read John Reid, RFK Defense read Pete hegsith. That's unfortunately, those are the deals.
Speaker 2: That were cut.
Speaker 1: Do you know that there actually used to be a time when presidents named people that were actually qualified.
Speaker 2: Look at the history of Abraham Lincoln. Do you know he put on.
Speaker 1: The cabinet people that hated him, that ran against him, and he put them into place.
Speaker 2: Why because he thought they were the most qualified. Good luck today doing that.
Speaker 1: And so you've got the Democratic National Committee splintering. You don't have a leader of the Democratic Party. I think you would have if Barack Obama stepped in. Now he couldn't run again, but I think he could be a king maker. I think he would have a tremendous amount of influence.
Speaker 2: You know, why he doesn't want to. He's done. He barely went out and endorsed Joe Biden. You know what, I'm finished. Let me go on. He's making forty million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: He's working with Netflix, he gets a quarter of million dollars per speech.
Speaker 2: And Michelle are having the time in their lives. You know, we're done. You can't blame him for that.
Speaker 1: And so in the end, you've got a party that is unprepared, uninspired, more consumed with relitigating.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty twenty four. Then looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty six, now relitigating, Well, you got a president that realitigates twenty twenty more than anybody else. But it seems to be working for him. It doesn't even matter if he's working for him, he's the president. So I believe that it is more of a negative. People who didn't like the Democratic Party, who voted against Donald Trump, and not enough of them did just misread everything, just misread it. And I think starting with Joe Biden, and then we have to find out who's going to be the standard bearer, and there is nobody tell you one thing. There're gonna be people gonna push Kamala Harris figure that one out.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 1: I'm not a Democrat, I'm not a Republican, but it's certainly going to get interesting. All right, coming up, Jeff Be's Bezos is going to get married. Let me tell you about a few weddings that have come down the pike. I just having finished a wedding which I thought was pretty pricey.
Speaker 2: Huh. Let me tell you a couple of stories that's coming up.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here. Good morning everybody. It is a foody Friday. Ask handle anything Friday, Solstice Friday, longest day of the year, Friday. So we've got a fair amount to cover a couple of things about weddings.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a wedding story.
Speaker 1: And you know, I got married in Italy. It was a destination wedding, and I thought I spent real money on that wedding. Oh incidentally, it costs less for that wedding than it would cost here in the United States.
Speaker 2: It was actually a bargain including airfare. Just want to let you know.
Speaker 1: It leaves a great place to have a wedding food is a lot cheaper. Southern California's expensive to do everything, So I thought I spent some money. Well, we know that Jeff Bezos Bezos, I always get that wrong. Is getting married in Venice also destination wedding. Now I'm assuming he is going to spend a couple of more dollars than I did, because weddings now among mega rich people have taken onto.
Speaker 2: A whole whole new level.
Speaker 1: Florida ceiling, floral installations, performances by pop megastars, catering by some of the biggest catering companies in the world. A recent wedding one of these big ones. There was a security guard for the cutlery. What does that tell you?
Speaker 2: Pretty expensive cutlery.
Speaker 1: There was a wedding last year Ennant and Radica Ambonni. You never heard of them, but it was a three day wedding in India, a custom built glass palace, performance by Rihanna Richie Grangie or Grange and Atlantic Records chief executive Elliott Range. Twenty twenty three were multiple days in Antife, France. Chanelle Gowns an after party headed headed by Good Charlotte.
Speaker 2: The band now No. One knows what Bezos.
Speaker 1: And Lauren Chance's wedding is going to be in Venice, But let me tell you it's expected to be insane. It may be the most expensive wedding in history. So planners are no longer planners.
Speaker 2: They're producers. That's what they are.
Speaker 1: I mean a luxury wedding multi day usually they last for days with two hundred guests among these people, has a price tag of about four million dollars. It's according to a director of events at a luxury planning firm. It's called banana split, cocktail, our caviar, seventy five thousand dollars, hanging installations.
Speaker 2: It's not just a cater you hire.
Speaker 1: You hire a cater who then hires a food stylist so the food looks just perfect.
Speaker 2: And it's not just flowers.
Speaker 1: Because as one of these planners said, you know, you could spend a million dollars on flowers, but if you just have.
Speaker 2: Walls, what does that do?
Speaker 1: So they bring in drapery experts and hang draperies all over the rooms.
Speaker 2: That's special. Why not?
Speaker 1: There is one company in London and works with teams as large as you're ready for this, five hundred people can work on a wedding. She said, In one wedding, we've got eighty thousand rows stems. Can you image jen, how many people it takes to condition eighty thousand rose.
Speaker 2: Stems and heywood.
Speaker 1: This woman also maintains a full time, twenty person staff to assist with details like steaming bridesmaid's dresses. I get that, but assigning people to look after family VIPs, parents, friends, everybody has their own persons, like security.
Speaker 2: I guess they have it. So what happens? One wedding planner.
Speaker 1: One wedding producer said that the clients typically hope to show that guests something they've never experienced before. And you're talking billionaires, you're trying to impress. So he has built six hundred thousand dollars structures, which then was taken down. Ordered custom furniture from Egypt works with silk flowers, typically twenty five thousand to seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: How's that for a wedding? Wow?
Speaker 1: By the way, just to let you know how much drapery costs, there was one wedding that just happened one hundred and seventy thousand dollars worth of drapery and you're not buying the drapes, right, you're renting them. Also, there's video mapping where light light experts, where technicians project three D images throughout the whole venue, so you're walking through holographs.
Speaker 2: They are immersive. It's like going to you know, a theme park, you know where you walk through.
Speaker 1: These white projections are between sixty to one hundred thousand dollars. Here's one of the better ones that was just described, A fifty a five hundred thousand dollars holograph of a grandfather of the bride who came in and talked and wished his granddaughter happy wedding half a million bucks and who has been invited to perform at these weddings. Paul McCartney, Elton John, the Rolling Stones, Lionel, Lionel, Lionel, Lionel, Richie. I mean, can you imagine the cost of one of those. It is being reported that Justin Bieber earned ten million dollars for performing at that am Bonnie wedding last summer. Clearly they had people that were deaf that were there because no one who could hear could take Justin Bieber. Oh, just here's one an interesting sidebar. A couple of these wedding producers were interviewed and the one person that they've tried to book and it doesn't matter how much money was offered, Adele, she just won't go.
Speaker 2: Adele won't go.
Speaker 1: Remember the story that when Rush Limbaugh got married, he hired Elton John, and this was a million years ago, to perform at his wedding. There were twenty people there in the room and paid Elton John a million dollars, which Elton John and by the way, those two were odds. Elton John went. There was a lot of backlash on that one. Elton John put the money into his AIDS foundation.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to report.
Speaker 1: On on this wedding coming up.
Speaker 2: Just terrific.
Speaker 1: All right, done with that, God, And I thought my wedding was expensive.
Speaker 2: By the way, do we have pictures of my wedding?
Speaker 1: Neil? I think we have photos, but not the video. I think there's been some stuff posted, is there. The video is just getting finishing editing right now. And it's a fun wedding.
Speaker 4: I will tell you I saw something that I'd never seen before.
Speaker 2: And Neil, that's true. There were fireworks at my wedding.
Speaker 4: Massive fireworks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I did the fireworks. Yeah, but probably.
Speaker 1: I don't know, ten times cheaper than it would be here really, so yeah, oh yeah, costs fair. I was stunned at how much money because the wedding planner at the venue, Andrea, said, how about fireworks?
Speaker 2: I said, are you out of your mind? Fireworks? And he goes, this is how much it costs. I went done, done, it's fireworks, all right? Coming up side hustling, I did it.
Speaker 1: I asked all around the room this morning, all of us working on the morning show, do you know how many of us have side jobs? All of us are working second jobs. That's America. Now I'll finish up with that and then right into Foody Friday. KFI AM six forty, KFI AM six forty bill handle. It is a foody Friday. Ask candle anything Friday. Last well, the longest day of the year summertime officially starts is the solstice.
Speaker 2: And we've got the.
Speaker 1: Entire morning crew here except for KNO. So Sam is filling in for kno. All right, this morning I had mentioned that I was going to do a story about side hustling, and Americans are just doing it. It's a thing now, and there are a bunch of reasons for it. And just as part of the story, I went around the room here and ask people, you know, do you have another job? Every one of us had another job. Everyone Sam also has another job. Who's in and Kono we know has another job? And we all do. And it is just a thing. And why Well, because it's it's it's it's more expensive. Wages have not kept up. You know, there are you know, Indian cardiologists I know that work on work at seven eleven for a few hours a week to make a little bit more pocket money because they're just not getting paid enough.
Speaker 2: It's it's a different it's a different world.
Speaker 1: And and as people are growing up, you got millennials and Gen Zers, as they're coming up, more and more people generationally that are growing up have side jobs. And is it because of money? Well, some are because they're bored. I'm willing to guess that most are because of money. You just have to have extra bucks.
Speaker 2: You do. Neil has a job. I know that Will has an extra job.
Speaker 1: And boy, she didn't sleep last night she was at so far she has an extra job.
Speaker 2: I've always had extra jobs. I never was I was never in law school without a job.
Speaker 1: I never was in college without a job. I mean, it's just one of those things that you know, I'm looking at retiring at some point I can see the end of my career. It's not going to be too many years. And what am I gonna do? I'm already thinking, of course, I'm gonna have a job of some kind. So let me go around, Neil, extra money, sell pencils? Okay, no, no, Do you do this for extra money?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, but it's not I'm not dependent upon it.
Speaker 1: But well, I understand you're not working at you know, Costco. You're not working giving matter of fact, we have a costal story coming up. You're not a greeter at Walmart because you're living on so security. Will of course you do it for money. I know you work here at iHeart exactly give me a break. But you know how dependent are you on your second gig? Or is it just sort of a high dependent on it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Amy the Voice of Ways and does voiceovers? Do you do it because you need it or because you love it or both?
Speaker 2: It's a both.
Speaker 4: I don't actually don't get to do it as much as I want to anymore because this job takes up a lot of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does, and you get paid very little for It's fair to say that this job pays you less than any the job you could ever have, and you have your second job.
Speaker 2: It's so far yep, And I feel it. I don't necessarily need it to pay the bills, but I definitely feel it when I don't get that extra paycheck.
Speaker 1: Okay, And Sam, I know you know you're working on your PhD these thesis.
Speaker 2: Do you have any other job? Then this is a sort of an extra buck job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a licensed marriage and family therapist.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: And so here yeah, okay, so here you go. Do you make a minimum wage doing that like you do here?
Speaker 2: No? No, but I need every penny I got kids. Okay, well there you go. And and for me, do I mean, do I need the money? I could?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do because I have two daughters. But do do I need the money?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Can I do okay without the money? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I just don't know not to do side gigs. I just don't know how people exist on it, not because of the money issue, because it's just you do it. So Am I gonna end up at Costco, you know, giving out samples?
Speaker 4: But are you ever going to retire and not do something?
Speaker 2: No? No, I'm gonna work there.
Speaker 1: It's so it's gonna work till the day I die, because I'll die, because it'll happen if I do retire, No and do anything, I'm dead.
Speaker 4: I just want to be prepared. This isn't gonna last forever. I don't know what's going on with radio. Who the hell knows, so I do. I just want to be prepared to sidestep. And I like doing all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, you know, And I do admire this stuff that seriously that Neil does.
Speaker 2: It's pretty extraordinary stuff. All right, we're done, guys.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact, we should have a success from scratch with you, Neil, because well.
Speaker 2: It's that interesting. Oh yeah, that's besides the part.
Speaker 1: How about this success from scratch without the success there's a segment we'll do fingers crossed for success, just the scratch part. All right, coming up Foody Friday. Neil does that on the side. He's become a foodie guy. What has been forever is just translating that into radio. We'll be back with that and then ask Candle anything. KFI AM sixty
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty