Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drive time.
Speaker 2: Tuesday afternoon, fourteen minutes past the hour two o'clock turned into a nice, warm afternoon after.
Speaker 1: A chilly, chilly morning.
Speaker 2: Little cloud coverage put some sunshine here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, about sixty two degrees on this beautiful May Tuesday afternoon. And as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the Rids fence check. It's behind the Mike Porter Larsen behind the glass today producing booking the show Busy jam Pack Tuesday Show.
Speaker 1: As we're getting ready.
Speaker 2: For the conference finals in both professional basketball and pro hockey. Conference finals. Final four for both the NHL and the NBA. No basketball or hockey last night, but the Timberwolves in the Thunder at Pecom Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, tip off at six thirty tonight on ESPN.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow night will be the New.
Speaker 2: York Knicks and the Boston Celtics, So the West tonight, the East Tomorrow. In the world of pro hockey, it's gonna be the Panthers and the Hurricane in Raleigh, North Carolina. First puck will drop at six o'clock on TNT, SO Busy Night tonight as the conference finals get going, a couple of new mock drafts I want to get to as far as who the Jazz could look at at number five, and the Jazz also have a second first round pick and a couple of second round picks as well. Want to remind you we will have you taken care of. Coming up on June the twenty fifth. Our Draft night coverage will be excellent. It'll be myself, but most importantly it'll be Gordy Chiasa and Richard Smith to you guys that basically spent a lifetime in the world of professional basketball with Utah Jazz and others.
Speaker 1: Gordy should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that maybe at some point, but it'll be exciting and potentially out in about We'll let you know what our plans are as we will bring you excellent coverage of the draft and we'll stay on for the first round on June the twenty fifth. The second round is the twenty six that actually runs through our afternoon drive show, so we'll be able to bring you live analysis of who the land on the second round or if they trade up trade down. Speaking of rookies, the All Rookie team came out today in Pro Basketball. No Isaiah Collier, no Kyle Philipowski, but they landed just on the outside looking in. I believe Collier was eleven as far as the votes go, and Philipowski was twelve. Isaiah did get one first team vote, but did not make either first or second team, so he's kind of hoping for that for either of those two, who had very fine rookie campaigns for the Utah Jazz. A lot of rumors regarding NBA offseason moves, A lot of them are kind of involving the potential of the Jazz getting involved. Will keep you up to date as we go throughout the show today, So a lot to do on the program today. The Jazz have announced their Summer League dates July the fifth through the eighth. It's going to be played at the Huntsman Center, not Delta Center because of course construction downtown.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: The last time the Jazz played Summer League at the Huntsman Center was the rookie season of one Donovan Mitchell and I was their courtside and that was the first time I said that, oh, okay, this kid is serious. He gave it to Jason Tatum once upon a time a number years ago at the Huntsman Center.
Speaker 1: So we have that on the table today.
Speaker 2: NFL offseason meetings some voting today on some rules, namely the NFL will allow their football players to play flag football for the twenty eight Olympics. Here's my question, right out of the gates, who are we playing against? Like who in the world can feel the flag football team that can keep up with Like is an American sport?
Speaker 1: Does like Turkey have football players.
Speaker 2: That I don't know about when I first saw this story, Like who are our peers in flag football worldwide?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like there's a little NFL europe action. Of course rugby like countries that have rugby, I know they have like little niche football teams because there's that kind of overlapping interest. But there's not much as far as anything that should compete with the Olympics. Especially if you're you're just kind of going out there and doing the flag football seven on seven thing. You you should win a gold medal and not have to send any NFL players.
Speaker 2: No, Like when I first heard, like, all right, should we let NFL players play flag football? Mike against who. It's like, does does Bekistan have a quarterback? I don't know about this seems like an odd thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, listen, I'm sure once it becomes an Olympic sport, that's the thing. Once it becomes in the Olympics, regardless of how you know, funny, we may find it. You know, curling once upon a time looks pretty silly, I'm sure, But once it becomes an Olympic sport, you have countries that will invest in it. They will literally put money into having a football team, even if they are in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 1: So hey, girl, the game just.
Speaker 2: It just kind of strikes me as our Olympic team ninety two Barcelona, Like every game is going to be a blowout. But anyway, they're also voting on the tush push. They're voting, you know, on moving the kickoff up. They're voting on a bunch of different things. NFL offseason style. There's also a news from Ross Dellinger about the current landscape of college football. They could throw an absolute monkey wrench in the house versu NCAA settlement. We're going to unpack that on the show today at some point, because of course we are always one eye on college football less than one hundred days away. Not sure when we're starting the countdown. It's my favorite thing, but busy, busy guest list Today. Our first guest will be Lee Ellis, one of our favorites to talk basketball with.
Speaker 1: Lee is from Australia.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll ask Lee if Australia has any football players that our NFL players need to worry about for the twenty eight Olympics. Tim McMahon NBA Daily Assist Style from ESPN, Richard Smith live in studio to preview tonight's Action and Taco Little Jazz Hoops. Then the head coach of Rayal salt Lake, Pablo Mash Johnny will stop by. I'm going to try to be nice today. Scoring goals would be cool. Scoring a goal would be cool. It's been almost two hundred and fifty it's since RSL scored a goal.
Speaker 1: They welcome in the best team in Major League Soccer, Vancouver coming up on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Lee Elis, Tim McMahon, Richard Smith, Pablo Mash joinning me, Spence check. It's all of you, the great listeners, and that guy you've already heard from him, Porter Larson. How did you spend your Monday evening sands any sort of basketball or hockey playoff action.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little tennis, a little gardening. As I mentioned on the way out yesterday, I moved recently and have enough room to grow my own food, which is very, very cool. So I'm building a garden. Played some tennis yesterday, but now we got basketball back. It's one of the rare, rare days during the spring that we don't have hoops. Were spoiled start of conference tournament time in college basketball basically into June. We're pretty spoiled with hoops almost almost every day.
Speaker 2: Yes indeed, but playoff action returns tonight, both on the ice and the court, and we're going to preview those games for you guys today. Our first guest will be Lee Ellis fun basketball conversation with Lee.
Speaker 1: Always enjoy when he pops by.
Speaker 2: But before we catch up with Lee on a Tuesday courtesy if I were good friends and your good friends too at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Cash in on the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Don't miss your last chance.
Speaker 2: To have your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup.
Speaker 1: Whether it is points, rebounds, or assists.
Speaker 2: Take your pick of more or less for your shot to went up to two thousand times your cash.
Speaker 1: Today you can turn.
Speaker 2: Your playoff hot takes and the tickets to Basketball Championship Series starting with a play in round. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one a VIP.
Speaker 1: Trip to the ship. So here's what you do.
Speaker 2: You download that Prize Picks at day, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and they're going to hook you up with fifty dollars on the house when you play that first five dollars bet. You do not even have to win the five dollars bet. You just get the fifty bucks on the house. So go get some free money. See if you like it. With our friends at Prize Picks, you can run your game all season long with Prize Picks. I'm going less tonight on chet Home Grin nine rebounds. I'm going to take more Aunt Edwards twenty eight point five points, Give me less on Shay thirty one point five points, and I'll take more on Jalen Williams five assists. So there you go. Follow along play if you'd like. It's a lot of fun with our friends of prize Picks. All right, we've got a sneaky good series between the Timberwolves and the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Western Conference Finals gets rolling tonight at six thirty Mountain time on ESPN at Paycom Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Tomorrow it's going to be the Eastern Conference turn. It will be Nick Celtics, of course, so excited for that one. Did you know that the two best teams since March first in the NBA are playing tonight, the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Oklahoma City Thunder. Okay See is twenty eight and six since March first, and the Timberwolves are twenty six and six since March first. Those are the two best records in pro basketball since March first. And you know, it's interesting whether it's Tim McMahon or Dave mcminnimon or any of our NBA guests, Howard Beck, et cetera, Tim Bontemps throughout the course of the end of the regular season, and honestly a few weeks prior to that, maybe a couple of months left in the regular season.
Speaker 1: I questioned to all of our guests. Was pretty similar.
Speaker 2: After Oklahoma City had established themselves as the best team in the West and one of the best regular season teams historically speaking period, when you look at the net and look at some of the splits, and I would ask the.
Speaker 1: Same question, who is keeping Mark Dagnold up that night?
Speaker 2: And the answer would vary a little bit depending on the ebbs and flows of the season, or depending on you know, acquisitions trades. For instance, when and of course the Lakers got Luca, a lot of people thought the Lakers were gonna have something to say about the West this year.
Speaker 1: I did not believe that to be the case.
Speaker 2: I will change my view next year when these two have more time to play together, but I just did not think it was enough time. And then after the trade Mark Davis, the kid from Charlotte, fell through. They just don't have any bigs. They could not play Jackson Hayes. We're not doing a Lakers breakdown, but a lot of people thought maybe the Lakers would have something to say about it. Golden State gets Jimmy Butler, they kind of change their defensive schematics, and a lot of people thought maybe Golden State would have something to say about it. Of course, Minnesota dispatches of Golden State in five games. Oklahoma City is coming off one day of rest after dispatching of Denver in a really tough seven game series. Now OKC six and two on one day of rest. Throughout the course of the postseason. This is a young team with a bunch of great young players. They go ten to eleven deep. They could even go deeper that deeper than that. If I'm honest, I don't think the lack of rest is going to plague them. On the other side, Minnesota two and four when they have more than three days of rest, and they have five days of rest tonight. So it's the old question rest versus rust what will play out. Oklahoma City is a six point five point favorite. They're five and one at home during the playoffs. As our reference, they're twenty eight and six since March first, which is the best record in pro basketball. I think there are a lot of really interesting matchups to watch tonight. We have two of the great young I'll call them Wings, even though SGA is a primary ball handler for Oklahoma City. Anthony Edwards of course, really the emerging face of the NBA, probably the best young domestic player. The best young player still probably is Luka Doncic, but we have two of the best ball in hand dynamic wings scorers going out of tonight with the Tea Wolves and the Thunder. The Thunder are not just a favorite tonight, they are your favorite to win the series. Minnesota is looking to advance to their first NBA Finals in history. Gone to the NBA Finals I think they were an expansion team in nineteen eighty eight. They have never been to the NBA Finals, not one time. Oklahoma City was last there in twenty twelve. That was the Durant Westbrook Group of OKC, so that was the last time they were in the NBA Finals. And of course, a ton of interesting matchups and a ton of interesting schematic approaches between these two coaches to really well coached teams, and Minnesota of course features a lot of former jazz men, namely Rudy Gobert, four time Defensive Player of the Year. I wonder if there's a place for Mike Conley in this series. And the only reason I say that is, you know, Mike is a guard who at this stage in his career. You know, he was fine being a smallish guard when he was younger and had more speed, But now that he's a little bit older, he's been kind of resigned to like a spot up jump shooter, right, and they try to find Mike for open corner threes. He will initiate the offense a little bit. But I'm just afraid with what OKAC has as far as their dogs on the perimeter. I mean, Shay can really guard Jalen Williams can really guard Alex Caruso's gonna be interesting to see what Mark Dagnall does with Alex Caruso. He put Carusoe on Jokic Game seven that actually worked. My guess is are gonna see a healthy amount of Alex Caruso on Anthony Edwards. Ant is so dynamic that you have to throw a bunch of different looks at him. But the thing with OKCE is they have the personnel to do that. You're gonna see Shae on Ant. You'll see Jalen Williams on Ant. I bet you see Alex Caruso, lou Dort, maybe even a little caseon Wallace even though he's not very big. So Oklahoma City has this grip of personnel on the wings with big athletics size that can really cause Ant a lot of problems. But what makes this interesting is Minnesota has the same thing. So what do they do with Shae? Because Ant can guard Jaden McDaniels can guard. My guess is Jaden gets the primary defensive assignment on SGA, but they'll probably put him on Jalen Williams as well. I think Go Bear is gonna be able to neutralize Isaiah Hartenstein that little flow.
Speaker 1: That's something interesting to watch out for.
Speaker 2: These are two really good teams, and we kind of have a sneaky excellent Western Conference Finals matchup because there aren't any of There's no Golden State, there's no steph there's no Lebron, there's no Lakers. So I wonder how many people really fully understand that. Honestly speaking, these are probably the two most deserving teams in the West, based off of the way.
Speaker 1: Both these teams have played since March.
Speaker 2: Again, Oklahoma City the best team in pro basketball since March first. The second best team in pro basketball since March first is the Minnesota Timberwolves, and they do battle tonight. We'll give you some picks later on a playoff basketball back in the house this evening, coming up at six thirty.
Speaker 1: That is your tip.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna bring in Lee Ellis coming up in a little bit. But I want to tell you about my friends at Cortland Roofing and I got Corey joins me live in studio on a Tuesday. Corey, what's going on man, I'm well, I appreciate the time today, So let's start.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the good stuff right away.
Speaker 2: Unpack the Spring special because if people need a roof replacement, they got to call you today because they could save literally thousands of dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so give us a call today. Well, there's basically two offers that we're we have in store right now. So the first one is we'll give you fifteen hundred dollars off a roof replacement, or if you are in need of gutters, we will do a brand new seamless rain gutters at no additional cost.
Speaker 2: If you if you do your entire roof again, thousands of dollars of saving. So I'm gonna hit you with the number right away. It's eight oh one six one five five five six zero. That's eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one sixty one five five five six zero. The website is Cortland Roofing dot com. All right, let's get a little background. Tell me about your company, Corey. Yeah, so we're a local company.
Speaker 5: We're found, we're family owned and operated, and that's that's important because you get a lot of these out of town companies that aren't even from Utah, especially the ones that sent out their door knockers, so they just want to do your roof and then get out of town. But we're here, local, we're here, we're family owned and operated. We are a preferred contractor with a lot of the main manufacturer, so we can offer you the best warranty in the business.
Speaker 1: We're licensed and insured.
Speaker 5: We employ our own crews, and that's important because a lot of times, you know, we're not picking guys up off the street. We have our own crews that we've had for a long time to do an amazing job. And so that's a little bit about us.
Speaker 2: Anyone who has ever owned a home knows that sometimes working with homeowners insurance can be shall we say complex, But you guys kind of help people traverse this space tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So about seventy to eighty percent of the roofs we do the insurance companies involved in some ways. So we have a ton of experience when it comes to the roof with the insurance process, and so we really help homeowners navigate that and it really starts with an inspection to see if your roof will even qualify for insurance. And you know, a couple of weeks ago we had some high winds fifty mile an hour plus wins that probably did a lot of damage to roofs. And so if you're seeing shingles, you know, scattered around your yard, or if you look up and you see some missing shingles, or if you even suspect you have some wind damage or even hell damage, we occasionally get give us a call at that eight oh one six one five fifty five six to your go to our website at Courtland Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: All right before I say you lose.
Speaker 2: For this segment, we'll tackle a couple of other things for out the course of the show. Let's review the spring prom promotion one more time.
Speaker 1: Corey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Spring promotion. If you call today, you get fifteen hundred dollars off of a roof replacement. Or if you're needing new rain gutters, we will do brand new seamless rain gutters at no charge.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, today's the day.
Speaker 2: The weather's about to get really warm, and if you walk outside you look at your roof, you're like, yeah, we need to get that taken care of. You might as well save thousands of dollars with this great spring promotion with our friends at Courtland Roofing.
Speaker 1: Here's the number. It's eight oh one sixty one five five five six zero.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Tennecband is going to roll by today. Covers the NBA for ESPN NBA Daily Assist Style, Richard Smith live in studio forty years with the Utah Jazz Front Office. Then Pablo Master money head coach over Il saw Lake, would you honest later on, but we're batting lead off with one of our favorites, and I'm told he's in the heart of New York City, in Midtown Manhattan is where we find our friend Lee Ellis on a Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Lee, Happy Tuesday, sir.
Speaker 6: How are you fine?
Speaker 7: Thanks Bence, Thanks very much for having me.
Speaker 1: How's the how's the weather? How's how are the conditions out in New York City?
Speaker 7: Actually beautiful? Really nice sunny day. Not too human as well. I live in Atlanta, so we're already sinking hot in the humidity, but it's nice and breezy. The streets are alive and you can sort of feel, you know, a bit of energy. The Nicks haven't been in a position like this before, and so I was down at Madison Square Garden before, and you know, you can sort of tell everyone's pretty excited and looking forward to Game one tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've got the forecast up. It does look lovely in Midtown Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 2: So you reference that you can kind of feel the buzz in the city. Are Are you noticing people wearing Nick jerseys and hats and such? Are you are you seeing a lot of Nick paraphernalia out about New York?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, even one Devin Booker Sun's jersey, which sort of slid outs me a little bit. But other than that, yeah, I mean again, just the energy around the garden there, you know, just before, like everyone's sort of excited and they can't wait for it to happen here tomorrow. And I because, as I said, they just haven't been in this position, this far into the playoffs for so long. And not only that, but I think they are a real chance too because you know, I don't think anyone realistically had them beating the Celtics, and they did that quite comfortably and quite impressively. And now they go from having, you know, go from being underdog in the conference semifinals to being favorite in the finals. So it's quite a remarkable position that the Knicks find themselves in right now.
Speaker 2: You know, Lee the last team to win a championship with a ball dominant, smallish guard as the best player really was Detroit back in the Isaiah Thomas you know, nineteen eighty eight, nineteen eighty nine days. And that's who the Necks are now. It's not just Jalen, but if we're honest, he really is the engine that makes them go. What stands out most to you about how Jalen Brunson has answered every question that's been thrown at him. A lot of people, as you probably recall, were very skeptical that the next decided to go all in on him, and I'll admit that he's better than I ever thought he could be.
Speaker 1: What stands out most to you about his growth, I think.
Speaker 7: It's that continual clutch performances. If you go back to the Piston series, he'd really deliver it on the road in Detroit. He closed out that series with a huge three. Remember they were down seven or eight points with about a minute ago in Game six and Brunton stepped up and knocked down the shot. And then the same thing in the Celtics series. And again I've got to give so much respect and admiration to sib Tom Thibodeaux and the entire team because they were getting smoked by the Celtics in that second round, you know, down twenty in three games and came back and won. And so it's not like that. You know, that can happen once and you can say that was an anomaly, but then when it happens a couple of times, and then when it goes back to the other previous series, it's like this team has got some real resilience and some real spine to them. And it starts with Brunson because he's never afraid to take the shot. He's never afraid to put the ball in his hands. He's had some really good defenders on him too. I start Thompson while only young, very athletic, very fast, and you know, we've right up in Brunson's grill a lot. And then the Celtics have multiple guys they can throw it in, Jalen Brown and Derek White, you know, all those goes through Holidays another one, really good high quality defenders. But every time Brunson has a chance, he wants the ball in his hands. And sometimes he makes the right pass, sometimes he hits the right shot. He doesn't, you know, nail every shot, but I like the fact that he doesn't, you know, miss the shot, and then all of a sudden go into his shell. He won't be afraid of missing a shot. He just wants to take it because that's what they employ him to do. That's what he's paid to do. And he was the clutch player of the Year in the regular season, and then he's gone on and proven.
Speaker 6: That in the playoffs.
Speaker 7: So you know, this is why I'm sort of in this position now where I look at the Knicks and I think they haven't you know, they didn't get lucky in the playoffs. Now the Pistons, of course, weren't that experience. Then they had to go out and beat the defending champs on the road, and they did that so well. And now even if they get down big, it's like they've got guys who can get them back into it. Mcale bridges his offense in the last quarters has been really good. Karl Anthony Towns has been, you know good most of the time. He's had a few down games, but they've got options, they've got weapons, and then when the game is there to be won, the ball goes into Brunton's hands every time, and everyone on that team is confident he's going to make the right decision. So I think that comparison to Isaiah Thomas is actually very, very good because they're about the same size. You know, they're tough, they're resilience, and now Brunton has got, you know, a catalog of big shots to sort of prove that he's up to the moment.
Speaker 2: So away from Jalen and even Kat for a moment because I think it's safe to say more often than not those two. Certainly, Jalen's going to get his, and you know, Kat has a complex and kind of varied history and big games.
Speaker 1: There's some good, some bad, and you know kind of the way it goes.
Speaker 2: But the three headed monster on the wing, you know some of Cal Bridges, who they traded five first round picks for Josh Hart, who I kind of feel like is the heart beats I didn't even mean to do that of that team. And then you know og Is, even though you know at times the shot can get loose, he was so good against the Wings for the Celtics and the playoffs and has been one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA all year long. So what do you make of what they need to get from those three against the pacer team that just has a bunch of pit bulls and they want to fight everybody.
Speaker 6: Well, they can all.
Speaker 7: Defend, like you mentioned there, they're all sort of Tom Thibodeau guys. You know, they know that they're expected to put in on the defensive end primarily, and they do that, but all of them can also hit those threes, which is really the modern game. The way it is, you need to be able to shoot, and you need to be able to at least be relied on to knockdown some shots. Now, some games you might have Josh hart John for twenty five or thirty points, scort Og, even Bridget can get that. It's usually not all three of them, but as usually they almost rotate that around, which is again, it's great for the Knicks because they've got options and they know they're going to get it out mostly of one of those guys every game. Now, when I look at Bridges, I don't love his shot selection at times, and I don't love his shooting mechanics, but he's effective. And again he did that really well in fourth quarters against the Boston Celtics. So you know, I don't think the Knicks are super deep, but they've got by. If you throw in Mitchell Robinson and Douci Guide, they've got seven players pretty much is the length of the rotation, but all of them go out there and contribute primarily on the defensive end. McBride is not as good as those guys, but certainly Mitchell Robinson is as well. So everyone who plays, you know, you just sort of know that that's what Tom Diibberdeau is looking for firstly, can you go out there and defend more than one position? And pretty much all of those guys can, so, you know, the Paces, this is a really interesting matchup because the Paces have got so many guys as well who can go and get their own bucket. You know, Pascal Siakham and Tyrese Haliburton. You know Niece Smith's been shooting the ball really well from three, and then Myles as well. He's going to spread the floor. So everyone's kind of got a good matchup. Everyone can kind of hurt each other. And that's why I think we're really set up for a great series here because it should be tough, it should be tight, but honestly, we should see some really good, high quality basketball because you're going to see defense from both ins. And I think that's the word I keep coming back to you because for so long when the Knicks stunk, they just were bad defensively. And I think now Tom Thibodeau has finally got to that point where he's been able to implement his style and everyone's brought into it and everyone understands what their job is and now we're seeing the results of that you know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: One more thing on the nickt and I do want to ask you about the Pacers specifically, because they deserve a lot of credit for what they've been doing. And you know, I've known Tom Thibodeau for a number of years. He was an assistant in New York for Jeff Van Gundy, and I certainly respect the man. But when you're up one hundred and ten to seventy four with five minutes left in the fourth, isn't it time to pull your players?
Speaker 7: Well, yes, that's the one area that I think care And you know I've noticed because I've been a a lot of the Knicks game, certainly here in the playoffs and in the regular season. I saw it too when when the Knicks are in Atlanta, Rick Brunson is often the guy who has to go up and say to him, come on, this is enough enough, because you know, it's the one stubborn trait that Tibbs has that he's still is very reluctant to give up. And that is to you know, basically acknowledge when a game is in hand. And you know, if you go back to last season in the playoffs, you know Jalen Brunson broke down and if you go back to when he's in the Chicago Bulls day, Joki Noah still talks about it on podcasts now, like those guys you know, got ran into the ground by Tibbs and so I think he has loosened up a little over the years, but he still could improve on that. Because I was watching that the other night with the closeout game, and Tad was on the bench and they were up, you know, shirt whatever it was, and he came back in and I was like, what are you doing. You're just playing with fire at this point. But fortunately everyone survived and you know, by closing it out in six, they've got an extra couple of days of rest. But yeah, it's one of those things that I think Gibbs still needs to really work on.
Speaker 2: So Lee, as you know, the Cleveland Cavaliers, led by our old buddy Donovan Mitchell, had a historic regular season, and you know, the favorites to play in the Eastern Conference Finals were the Calves and the Celtics. We've already discussed the next beating Boston, and I'm sure if you're a Calves fan you can lean into we weren't fully healthy Donovan go saw him after the second round once again, and of course it's not all his fault when he is really cooking, he's as dynamic as any ball in hand offensive generator in the league. Now, I do think and I've always believed this because I saw it out here when Donovan tends to put blinders on and do his own thing, while it's really dynamic and very effective, I just I've never believed that's conducive to winning team basketball because other teammates kind of get a little bit in the mode where they're watching him do his thing and they're not boxing out, they're not playing defense where they need to. I've always been more of a fan of a team overall approach, but Indiana deserves a lot of credit. And I found it really interestingly after the final game to hear Kenny Atkinson just admit like they're a level ahead of us, They're they're better than we are right now, and Rick Carlisle echo like it was interesting to hear him say, we're just on fire, We're just we've got it clicking at the right time. So what stands out most to you about the way the Pacers beat the Calves and if you're a Cavs fan, what are you hoping for this offseason?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, I think with the Pacers, they kind of snuck up on pretty much everyone because they started off the season badly, and Tyrese Halliburton was bad and maybe there was a bit of an Olympic hangover for him. But I think we sort of saw We saw the Pacers in the conference finals last year they got swept, and the way they started this season was like, oh, maybe they aren't that good. But their record closing the season was forty two and fourteen, so they've been playing really well. But because the Celtics and the Caves and the Knicks were so far ahead of them, I think everyone just thought we'd go on Boston and Cleveland in the Eastern Conference finals here and didn't really give anyone else much of a chance.
Speaker 6: But you're right.
Speaker 7: I mean, Rick Carlyle, you know, he's a pretty good coach, and you know, he's a pretty consistent coach. He might not be, you know, the most charismatic coach out there, but he certainly gets guys to play to a high level. And that's what I noticed about the Pacers is once tyri Is Haliburton got to go on because he wasn't an All Star this season, but he certainly picked his game up in the second half of the season. But also guys like Nemhard and Nie Smith, as I mentioned earlier, really really important role players. You know, they can hit those threes, you know, they play hard defense, they don't need the ball in their hands all that much. And then patcal Siakam, who was an All Star this season, he was also fantastic in the second part. So Indiana had one of those seasons that was pretty much idea where people were overlooking you and dismissing him, and then they come into the playoffs and they cruise along, you know, and they beat the Bucks, who you know, Lillard obviously was banged up somewhat there, but even if he wasn't, I think the pa Is still win that series. And then yeah, the you know, it was called an upset because they took down the Cleveland cattle Is, but they've beat the Cash three to one in the regular season, so it's probably not that much of an upset really. It was more just that the Pacers matched up well. There was some injury concerns of course there with the Cavs, but I think that was really only for one game when Mobiley Hunter and Garland were out. Garland mister Thurst game though as well. But ultimately we saw, Yeah, you know, Donovan is a great playoff performer. You know, he's had some huge moments, but he hasn't been able to turn those into playoff success. He's never gone past the second round. So there is something that's not quite working there that even if Donovan goes for forty I think he finished averaging forty one in that series, but what good is that if you're lose in five games? You know. So the Cabs a really disappointing end to a very promising season and where they go and the off season from here now, I don't think they make too many changes because I think overall they probably just look back at what they did wrong and they think, Okay, you know, we need to have made some improvements from within, because overall, I think they've got a good roster. Evan Mobley defensive Player of the Year. Donovan We've already talked about him, and Darius was an All Star this year. Jared Allen has been an All Star. You know, they're well balanced. They've got three point shooting. They picked up DeAndre Hunter for their six man at the trade deadline here, so that you know they've got all the peoples. Maybe it was just one of those seasons where you know, they were caught looking ahead a little bit and thought that they sort of leave their own height where it was like, hey, we're going straight back to the conference finals here, and you know, didn't really give the Paces the respect they deserve. Kenny Atkinson remember, Coach of the Year, well deserving as well. I mean he I thought I saw, you know, watching the Cavs this season, they were a lot like those Brooklyn Nets teams that Kenny Atkinson had. Remember, they were fun to watch. They really seemed to be all on the same page and cheering each other on. And it felt like, you know, the Cavs were on the path here to the conference finals before before sort of you know that they couldn't quite get it done there in the conference. So very interesting season.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 7: I don't think they'll decide to blow it up or anything like that. I think they'll just try to take care of business a little bit better next season, because overall a lot of their guys are under contract. I think they're a better team than they performed in the playoffs, and maybe sometimes a loss like this can actually help you in the future. So we'll find out that, you know, Indiana again, they the way they ended the season was just so impressive that they find themselves in this position. And I think, you know, a lot of people around the league may see as a surprise, but I don't think the Indiana Pacers themselves are all that surprise that they're in this position.
Speaker 2: Moving out this way, Lee, I was surprised to learn this morning when I was doing a little reading a prep for the show, that the two best records in pro basketball since March first belonged to Oklahoma City, who has the best record, and then the Minnesota Timberwolves, who have the second best record. Let's start with the Minnesota side of things, and this is a team that's been together now for a few years, and they had a nice little playoff run last year. Of course, you need good fortune in the NBA playoffs, and you always had injuries. It was a bumber to see Tatum go down. And nobody wants to watch Golden's Day without watching Stephen Curry. But Minnesota won't apologize. What do you make of their route to the Western Conference Finals.
Speaker 7: What stands out, Yeah, honestly a little bit like the Paces in that when they made that trade at the start of the season for Towns, you know, trading him away.
Speaker 6: I thought that was a bad move.
Speaker 7: I thought Towns has been there, they're finally having some success, and then they blow it up. I think for a weaker move in bringing Devincenzo and Julius Randall. But after that sluggish start, and remember they had to basically win on the last day of the season just to avoid the play in, they've really gotten together and been super impressive. And I think Chris Finch deserves a lot of credit because he's got them playing at this high level where they were really convincing against the Warriors. Of course you mentioned no Steph Curry, but even still they lost that first came remember at home when Steph left early on, so there was more that pressure of expectation like, oh, you can't lose possibly now to the Warriors without Steph. And they went out and won the next four games. And Anthony Edwards, I mean, he's ready, he's ready for the hype.
Speaker 6: He loves being the.
Speaker 7: Center of attention, and he's gone out there and delivered. And so you know, last season against the Mavericks, I saw Anthony Edwards on a podcast somewhere basically just sort of shaking his head at what Luca was able to do. But you could sort of see that fight in the eyes of Edwards in the way that he spoke was like he wasn't feeling sorry for himself. Instead he realized what it took to get to the next level. And so now he's back here, and I think last season, of course, with Team USA in Paris, he showed, you know, he learned from those guys like Kevin Durant and like Steph and Lebron. Being around those guys really helped him understand how important it is to take care of your body and to be ready and to embrace those moments when they come. So, you know, really good stuff here from the Timberwolves. I mean, you guys of course know Rudy very well there in Utah as well. I mean, he has been at times, you know, he sort of fluctuates a little bit, but when he's good, he's very very good. And you know, Rudy's he's been in the playoffs a lot. He's an experienced veteran and he plays such a role and he's going to have a huge role in this series now against the Thunder because they have the big guys chet, Holmgren and Hartenstein. So he's going to have his work cut out for him. But as we saw again against the Warriors, if you are able to really utilize Rudy on the offensive end, I think he grows even more on the defensive end and there'll be opportunities there for him. And you know, the Timberwolves are ready. I think they're in a really good spot. It's going to be a great series. I mean, obviously the Sunder have the best records, so they start at home and they were great, but they closed out their series only what two days ago? So does that favor you know, is rhythm more important than rest? Will find out because usually that's what the what the result of game one is that if the Thunder winners like see, you better to be a rhythm. If the Wolves winners like see an extra couple of days, rest away out. So there's no science if a proof of either answer, but it should be a fascinating game one either way.
Speaker 2: Makes you wonderly what a team would look like with Donovan Mitchell Rudy Gobert and their prime and a Mike Conley maybe and maybe a Joe Ingles.
Speaker 1: And it makes you wonder what that team would look like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does, it does.
Speaker 7: And you know, the Atlanta Hawks coach Queen's Knight is a pretty good coach too, so I wonder how he would go with those sort of guys.
Speaker 1: Yes he is.
Speaker 2: And before I say you loose, I will take advantage of the space just to ask you about the Jazz because you know, ultimately it's tough to see any forward progress at this point, and this will be four years coming up since they made the decision to break that team down. We all gather around our television to watch the NBA Draft lottery and we all felt like we were punched in the gut when they fell to five.
Speaker 1: But what do you make of where we find ourselves around here?
Speaker 2: Before I set you loose with this rebuild that hasn't really brought a lot of hope to the fan base yet, well, all I.
Speaker 7: Will say, and I'll just preface this by saying, I'm not a draft expert, but I've heard and from what I read and understand, it's a fairly deep draft. So I think you could still get a very good player there at number five, but obviously the sites were set much higher. I mean, when you have a guy like Cooper Flagg, who's been the number one pick all season, that's the sort of you know, franchise altering player that you would ultimately hope to get your hands on. Now he goes to the Dallas Public somehow. I don't know how that happened, but it did, and the Jazz fall back. So yeah, it's taking a little bit longer. And you know, look, Dannie Angels is acquiring a lot of draft capital, so you expect to see some move here soon. But I know it's frustrating. I lived in Toronto for nine years and when your team sort of, you know, year in year out, feels like they're either rebuilding or they're you know, waiting for the next draft or the next season, it becomes pretty frustrating because it doesn't have to.
Speaker 1: Be like that.
Speaker 7: You know, things don't always necessarily turn around after one or two seasons. But when it gets up to that four and five mark, you're just like, come on, man, do something here. We want to see some wins again here. We don't want to be continually looking down the road at the next you know, two three fourths seasons away, So I get the frustration, but I will say, I mean Utah when they're playing well, it's it's one of the most fascinating home court advantages I think in the league. I talked to Quinn Snyder a lot about this this year when I was down at Hawks games, and you know, he said, like that home ground, that home court there was so important for you know, you know, securing home court in the in the playoffs, and so you know, he knows what it's like. And as a fan, I've never been to Utah, but I've seen it, and I think and I hope the Jazz fans that it's not too long before we see that environment again, because it is certainly one of the most exciting to watch for fans on TV.
Speaker 2: Got some good pickup hoops out here, Lee, you should make your way out of here before I set you loose. Tell all of our listeners where they can go find your work.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just on the socials. My name Lee ls L E I G H E L L I S I mean New York City for these games. I'll be in Indiana for the for the entire series. I'll be where however long it goes. So if anyone is in New York, I may hit up the rock A Park on Thursday to shoot around and have some fun up there, and then they happen Indiana the same thing I'll be. I'll looking for a few outdoor courts to play on while I'm out there, So hopefully if there's any fans listening, they can hit me up and we'll connect and have some fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir, always a pleasure, save travels and we'll do it again anytime.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Spence, the Great Lee ellis one of the nice guys in this business. I always appreciate his time. We're gonna bring in Tim McMahon coming up on the other side. But before we catch a break, we welcome in my guy Corey from Courtland Roofing once again.
Speaker 1: Corey, Happy Tuesday, man. How are you doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: How are you, Spence? I'm well.
Speaker 2: So give us a little background on your company. Let's start there. Tell us about Courtland Roofing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, Cortland Roofing. We've been around for over twenty years. We're family owned and operated. We're here local, we're licensed and insured. We employ our own crews, and so that's a little bit about us.
Speaker 1: Well, I was thinking about this during the break.
Speaker 2: It's nice today, it's about to get insanely hot. If somebody's out there questioning whether or not they need their roof for play, why is it important to do this before we're dealing with the summer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so obviously you want to nip it in the bud right now. Where if you do have some roofing damage, or if you notice some shingles missing or shingles in the yard, you want to get get us out there to take a look and to inspect the roof because obviously the next problem is the roof leaking it going into the house, and that's really where the price tag goes up. So you know, do we offer free inspections and we'll come out do a free inspection, take a look at the roof, let you know how much life has left or if there is any type of damage. We can help you out with filing an insurance claim or just getting a repair done.
Speaker 2: I noticed that you only have five star Google reviews, so people obviously appreciate the way you go about your business because you have zero reviews.
Speaker 5: That aren't sparkling, right, Yeah, so don't take our word for it. Go to go google Courtland Roofing and take a look at our reviews. We have all five star reviews, which truly just shows that people want quality and they trust us and that we'll do a good job for them.
Speaker 9: All Right.
Speaker 2: Finally, Corey, one of my favorite things that I like to do for my listeners is save them a lot of money, which is where you come in.
Speaker 1: We've got a spring special going on, let's hear about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we got a killer deal going on right now. So there's a couple parts of this offer. The first is if if you need a new roof and we do the roof replacement, you get fifteen hundred dollars off that price. If you are in need of new rain gutters, we'll do We'll do free rank free seamless rain gutters for a new roof replacement as well.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go.
Speaker 2: So if you are questioning whether or not you need your roof replaced, you might as well call Courtland Roofing today get this done, because you're gonna save it grip of money and it's limited time. It's their Spring special, So here's the number. Pick up the phone and dial eight oh one six one five five five six zero. That's eight oh one six one five five five six zero. Eight oh one six one five five five six zero. Also online at Cortland roofing dot com.
Speaker 8: Fan McMahon and Banman that is duding old Land, Texas flood as it gets mud.
Speaker 1: He's a man.
Speaker 2: Fan nimaon Banman the Man Man.
Speaker 1: It is a Tuesday on the program. You know what that means.
Speaker 2: It's time for our weekly conversation with the legend himself, star of every ESPN and quite frankly TNT broadcast. I'm watching out this way, Tim McMahon. A lot of TV phace time for our guy these days.
Speaker 1: Tim, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 6: Oh hey, partners, I want to go just kind of scroll the court. Uh, you know, I'm getting ready for this Western Conference finals. And now they decided to do a sound check, decided to retweet back to the bowels of the pay Calm Center.
Speaker 1: I see, I see.
Speaker 2: I had a friend text me the other day and said, is Tim intentionally played himself where he knows he can get the most camera time on these games?
Speaker 1: So I just have to ask you that right out of the gates.
Speaker 6: Well, listen, I like those court side seats. I'm getting squeezed out of them tonight, you know, Western Conference Finals. You got all these other folks coming in NBA folks taking my seat. So I'm gonna I think I still got a good one. But I'm all from the corner. I won't be right behind the visiting coach where you get a lot of good airtime.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I will take advantage of you on the show today, not literally, but I will take advantage of the time to ask you about the Jazz, even though I know there's not a lot to talk about. There's just a ton of reports that after falling to five, they are going to try to be bold and maybe potentially move up. Who in front of them, Tim, do you think is most likely to trade their pick and you think the Jazz can get involved.
Speaker 6: Well, I think most likely would be san Antonio. But I think if san Antono is trading that pick, it's probably an Yannis type of package. It will not be the Mavericks. Number one is not available. Aside from that, I could really probably see any of those other teams willing to discuss because look, my understanding of this strap. I'm by no means of draft Bee. I watched maybe a total of three or four hours of college basketball this year, perhaps not true about five or six anyways, Cooper fly clear cut number one, UH, number two, Harper, Dylan Harper, and then kind of the conversation as far as you know, buging now of the Beholder probably starts at number three. So I think especially you know, three or four I think could be up for grabs if the Jazz are willing to obviously incentivize that they've got a tough future picks to play with, you know, extra picks to play with. You know, I don't know if there's you know, with I don't know with Philly honestly taking Paul George, who might be considered to be appealing. So, you know, we'll see what happens. I think there's a lot of things that are possibility.
Speaker 2: Have you been able to connect with anybody over here about their thoughts on, you know, falling to five and their thoughts on being in a position, UH to potentially try to be bold based off of all the assets they have. Do you have any any idea tim where the head is at of the Utah Jazz front office right now.
Speaker 6: Well, listen, obviously very disappointed to fall to five, but also fully understanding that was statistically the most likely of any scenario. I mean, there was like a forty eight percent chance they ended up with number five take and only fourteen percent chance of number one. And so you know, we'll see what that means in terms of aggressivenessess as far as moving up what this summer looks like. But you know, I did talk to somebody who basically basically indicated to me that, hey, tankings are really risky strategy with the lottery odds flattened, and you know, there's a there's discussions that need to be had about the rationale for tanking versus the risk of ending up in this scenario and really the challenges that come along with real player development when quote unquote player development's your priority.
Speaker 2: We learned this year that nobody's off limits. I mean, hell, if Luca can be traded, anybody could be traded. But do you think the Jazz would actively shop. You know, I'm gonna throw market In and Kessler out there, because honestly, I think those are the only two players that I would say have proven to be here for the long haul. Do you think they would be on the table potentially, and maybe the Jazz just go all in on being really young and kind of starting the clock.
Speaker 6: Now, Well, I think you're asking two different things. Would they actively shop or would they be on the table. I'm not sure about actively shop. I think anything is on the table. I mean Traden Lowry marketing in and trading Walker Tesler was on the table for the Jazz last summer. They were just asking for, you know, an extreme premium type of price, and like there's a lot to talk about marketing and the Warriors. Nothing ever got close because not only were the Warriors not including Brandon Pajevski in any conversations, which is a deal killer, but they weren't willing to go all in on the picks, and the Jazz wanted ed things. Look, could those kind of conversations be restarted? Sure, I could see that again. I think Kessler they were asking for a lot last summer, and given the circumstances, I thought he had a really really good season, only adding to his value. My guess is they will both be in Utah next season. But I don't think it's a certainly by any stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 2: One more thing here, Tim, your buddy Bobby Mark sopped on yesterday and did an excellent job of outlining just how we have entered this era of parody in the NBA. It's a topic that's been discussed quite a bit. You've got you guys have dug into it on the hoof collective and you know, the markets like cities like ours have star players championships on Milwaukee, Denver, and then we have Indianapolis, Minnesota and Okay, seeing the conference finals and I just feel like, and Bobby was great with this. You know, the new CBA expires in twenty thirty, so that's a five year runway. It just kind of adds a little bit of sting around here that the Jazz aren't ready to capitalize on this landscape that seems to be built for a city like Salt Lake and a team like the Jazz.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I hear what you're saying, And I would just remind you that the Jazz just and we can debate the semantics of contender, right sure, but I'm going to say the Jazz just had a pretty long chapter as a contender that closed. You know, they're trying to open up a new one. It feels a million miles away right now, but you know, it's not that long ago that that Rudy and Donovan or there in Utah on a team that you felt like had a chance that just never was able to get over the hump. You know, could never break through. But you know, had the best record and was the best run in the NBA that year. Ye, So you know, again it's not like it's just been eons and eons of the jazz out in the wilder and if they had a chance, you know, they weren't able to get over to humps for a variety of reasons. They decided to go ahead and pivot from that and break that team up.
Speaker 7: And now you know, it's been a few years of this. I'm sure it's tough to live through. It feels like it's been a long time. It's frustrating. But again, this is that you're not the Charlotte to one it's it's been forever, you know, or the Washington Wizards or one of those type of teams. This franchise has recently experienced a pretty high level of success.
Speaker 2: Surely you have a hot take on Isaiah Collier and Kyle Philipowski not making either first or second team All NBA Rookie.
Speaker 6: I will be honest with you, I skimmed the All Rookie selections and they have not really sunk my teeth into uh or done a whole lot of things ken about them. Color surprised me a little bit. Yeah, that surprised me a little bit. I thought the Jazz is a nice little marketing campaign. They they sent me some of those. One of those posters is on the wall one of my boys, So you know, we at least got have to vote to my house about Unfortunately, my boys don't have an official ballot, but kas and Isaiah Collier fans in North Dallas.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on.
Speaker 2: We were able to get six minutes on the Jazz, which is more than I thought we could.
Speaker 1: So let's move on.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm impressed that you were able to play along, but that's why you're a pro. I continue to give you credit. And I talked about this to start the show because with about three weeks in the regular season left you on the regular season, I asked you, who's the team that can throw punches with OKC and the answer would very based off the week. You know, the Lakers get Luca? Could it be the Lakers? Lakers? The Warriors get Jimmy? Could it be the Warriors. You're the one that said watch out for Minnesota, and I read this morning.
Speaker 1: I did not know this.
Speaker 2: The two best records in pro basketball since March first are Oklahoma City and the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the Timberwolves side of things.
Speaker 2: What is what are your main takeaways with how they finished a regular season and how they've been able to advance to the conference finals.
Speaker 6: You got to start with Julius Randall and look for a lot of the season it was about figuring out the Randalls fit and it was clunky and like could he really not just coexist but thrive with And you got two kind of ball stopping, you know, star type of players. What's you know? They like to operate kind of similar rhythms where they're kind of getting each other's way and bogging things down for each other. For a lot of the season, the space wasn't quite right. You know, there's also the ruty factor as far as part of the spacing and ingredients there. They took a long time to figure things out. There's a lot of button their heads up against walls, a lot of frustration. They felt like they were making progress and then boom it makes you know, gets his hammy. So he's come back from that hand me though, this thing is taken off of them. You know you mentioned the record down a stretch. You know, obviously they they sitting here in the Western Common Finals. Randall, a guy who had a reputation, is kind of a playoff dog, to be honest with you, after Instant New York has been awesome during his playoffs. He has been a bona five legitimate All NBA caliber co stars day. He's been All NBA before, but not in the playoffs and played at that level in the playoffs until this season. But here he is. You know, they've obviously got a really good eating the team. They've got the you know, top, top level type of superstar in ant er, it was approaching the top level. But this really is clicked because Julius Randall has found his comfort zone and has taken off. And you know, this is a big team with two go two guys you know up down the roster, dudes who are scared to get the nose Verdy in terms of of defending. I will say Raynolds playing the best defense in his career too. That's been a major factor. And you know, we're going to find out what kind of fight they can put up against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Speaker 1: Is there a home for Mike in this series?
Speaker 2: Mike Conley, I mean, you know, four or five years ago, at six', one he still had decent shift ability and speed move move side to. Side when you look at Ok, see Even Cason wallace is six,', THREE like i Wonder if mike is going to be able to play big Minutes For chris finch in.
Speaker 6: This, series well and that's that's one of the questions that we're going to. Find out like con is no longer like a thirty five even a thirty plus minute per. Game guy obviously he's kind of shifted into more of a. COMPLIMENTARY role i do think though he still has value. FOR them i got to protect, them defense so he got to kind of hide them a little, bit defensively but just the, calming presence, you know kind of, the orchestrator the guy who pets. Things organized i'll, say this even if he doesn't play a, whole lot he's got extreme value, for him just as that stage vets of voice on the bench and in the, locker room and you know an extra Pair Of Isivanniers. Anthony edwards so who do you?
Speaker 2: Think draws who do you think draws the primary Assignment? ON ant, i mean with an offensive talent, like that you want to throw a bunch of different looks, and okay see has a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Different bodies Is, it dort Is? It jalen Is?
Speaker 2: It shay who do you think draws THE primary, i, mean hell We Saw, Alex, Caruso Gardner. Kola jokich who do you think draws the primary Assignment?
Speaker 6: On ant it's sure as that will Not. Be shay it's gonna Be. Lou Dort lou dort's gonna start off. ON him i Think lou dort will spend the most time. ON him i think it's primarily going To. BE lou i think he's also going to see a healthy built to Case. And wallace my guess Is that crusoe is going to spend more Time On julius randall mean He Will. Anthony edwards i'm sure he'll see. Him some but, you know Think about cruso's impact defensively so far in, These playoffs Completely Eight Jaron jackson junior live in the, first round And then, game Seven the thunder's big Adjustment was huso ended up being the guy who spent the most Time on joker in. That, game now there's a lot of help obviously, involved there but one of the great Strength of pruso as a defender in addition just had insane hands, and instincts is that this is a tough dude who's got the ability to. Guard UP so i think he'll be THE primary i don't need. TO start i think he'll get more time anybody Else On. Julius randall AND again i think if lou Dor On, anthony edwards to me is as fascinating with an individual matchup as you could possibly come.
Speaker 1: UP with i agree on the, Other side sga Is? It jaden Is?
Speaker 2: It antot who draws the primary signmon ON shaf.
Speaker 6: I would think they would start Off with jade McDaniels on him for the simple fact that you don't necessarily want and to have to exhaust that kind of energy playing forty plus minutes per, game now and it's going to get his fair share time. On THEM but i don't think you want him to have to do that from the opening Tip of game one?
Speaker 1: For sure, all right the go.
Speaker 2: Bear factor, of course we are familiar with it, around here and, YOU know i was thinking about this Tim Watching mitchell robinson really guard like five positions on a couple of different possessions With the celtics and the modern day five out spacing offensive attack that most teams like to use is a really tough ask on. Most, Bigs now rudy can, handle it even though some people think that. He cannot how do You think okase goes about. Their business do you think they're going to try to go small to at Least, neutralize rudy make him chase these perimeter players around.
Speaker 1: The floor.
Speaker 6: It's like a a pitcher with like, eight, Pitches right they've got a lot. Of stuff they can go a lot of. DIFFERENT ways i think they start off with their two gigs and kind of go. From there And in game one is Really For. Mark dagnall it's kind of a feel. Out game it's still in a lot of different Things that i'm seeing how they, respond to is seeing how they. Handle it they do have the ability to play shit in a lineup that is fied out with a seven footer on. THE floor i think you'll see a lot. Of, that honestly looking at It from, MINNESOTA'S perspective i think, feel, like hey let's see if check and. Hit shots he hadn't shot it well during. The playoffs that goes back to. Last year, you know THEY certainly i think will play small some With with cluso almost AS a i guess there's a small ball center and then just kind of a crazy switching type. Of lineup AND again i think they'll go too big some with with or a lot to, start games Certainly with Hart and Stein. And HOLMER so i think there will be a lot of different. Looks there and you, know what like go bet obviously you think the root do you think would be fans full time deepers play of the year and just you know he's going to have to be awesome on that in. THE floor i think his screening in this series is going to. Be Critical lou dort is as good as there is in. The League as i've got a part rolling, by me they're like. A Hundreds lou dord is as good as there is in the league at navigating screens and Obviously getting dort off of and is going to be, a huge huge Deal. For minnesota so, You know rudy prides himself is the best screen in. The league has to be put to the test in.
Speaker 2: The series in, The playoffs Shay And jalen williams combined are averaging, let's see this would be forty nine point six points between the two. Of them Aunt And julius randall averaging forty nine. Point four so it's nearly a standstill better one to two Offensive Punch Aunt, Julius Randall Shay jaln williams.
Speaker 9: So far in.
Speaker 6: These playoffs so far in, the playoffs it has been has been And joyous randall, Because Honestly jarren williams hasn't had a great, playoff series so are a, great playoffs great. Post league, so far he's had some. Good games he's not shot the, ball though he's not shot the. Three wheel he's playing with a really painful. Risk injury don't want to use who as, an excuse but like if you saw the ty job underneath that, shooting sleeve you Know what i'm. Talking about they need more Of The jade Doug from. Game seven if they get, that GUY then i Think, it's, okay see because let's just be straight up as Awesome as ann, is days there's the only two other guys that would put a conversation with him is in terms of that level of offensive talents the guy That the thunder just Beat and luca those are the only. Two guys this dude just average damn thirty three points. A game let the league is scoring on sixty plus food, shooting percentage, you know, crazy efficiency, you know great assistant. Turnover ratio like the guy can score in so many of. The ways he's the best offense player in. The SERIES but I Think jaylen williams is four and it's a pretty distant form in terms of the postseason.
Speaker 2: Right now chet Is okay c's. Third option Who is minnesota's third option or is it? By committee.
Speaker 6: It's, by COMMITTEE and i think You would you could argue that it's their. Sixth man you could argue this not big or, seventh Pain even Shinzo. Nas reeve, You know jay McDaniels has had some big games in, These PLAYOFFS but i think he's a guy who's going into a series like you want to you want to see if he's. Making shots but you know there are nights where he looks like that type. Of DUDE so i don't think there's a clear cut third Option.
Speaker 2: For bill, all RIGHT before i say, you loose do you have? A lean this feels like a, heavyweight. Fight, man okay see is, the favorite, of COURSE but i would not Sleep. On minnesota are you leaning one way or?
Speaker 1: The other and?
Speaker 6: WHY oh i definitely would lean towards the team that won sixty eight games and have the best point DIFFERENTIAL in, Nba HISTORY and i would cite those as the as the. Two REASONS but i think he's gonna be a. Heckord serious?
Speaker 1: Fair enough, All, Right tim thanks for, the. Time man enjoy the game tonight should be a.
Speaker 6: Good one, appreciate, you brother.
Speaker 2: All right The great tim McMahon COVERS the NBA for espn joins us on a. Weekly basis all of his work is up On his twitter PAGE At espn, underscore McMahon including the link to the Book that tim wrote that was Released, In, March luka Doncic And the Curse.
Speaker 1: Of greatness you can check that out On his.
Speaker 2: Twitter Page The conference finals begin tonight in the world of pro BASKETBALL with Okc.
Speaker 1: And Minnesota oklahoma city is a six point five.
Speaker 2: Point favorite and then tomorrow night it is time For The eastern conference side of things As The New. York knicks we'll welcome In The boston Celtics To Madison. Square Garden first conference finals For the knicks since the year two thousand when they played, coincidentally Enough The. Indiana pacers, All right smithy's gonna join us live. And studio we'll do, some jazz some good Jazz stuffrom tim. McMahon today but before we catch, a break welcome and My guy Corey From.
Speaker 1: Courtland, Roofing Corey, happy, Tuesday man how are we?
Speaker 9: Doing good how are?
Speaker 1: You today, i'm.
Speaker 2: Well buddy, all right we're talking about great deals for, roof replacements and that means folks are probably gonna have to work with. Insurance, companies, correct, yep absolutely and you can help them traverse. That, space, yes absolutely it's a it's a lot of people get overwhelmed by the, insurance process but about seventy to eighty percent of the roofs, we do the insurance company, is involved and so we can really help homeowners navigate.
Speaker 5: That, PROCESS so, i mean we just had a bunch, of wind a couple of. Weeks ago that was fifty mile an hour plus And and i'm sure it did a lot. Of damage so if you're noticing shingles on, the ground or if you're noticing missing shingles on, your roof give us a call at eight oh one six one five fifty five, sixty here visit Our Website cortland roofing dot com and we're happy to come out and do an inspection and see if it's something that's worth going through.
Speaker 1: The insurance, for now.
Speaker 2: We talked about all of your five star reviews literally review you guys Receive on google, Five stars so you're doing, something RIGHT and i would imagine part of that is people trust you because you employ your, own crews like there's nothing to be concerned about as far as people working on.
Speaker 6: The.
Speaker 5: Homes, correct yes so we've had our crews for a. Long time we don't just go pick people up off. The street we have our own crews that we employ that do an. Amazing job and that's a lot of the reason why we do have five, star reviews because we do quality work and people. Trust us so we, tell you don't take our word, for it go to the website or Go to google And Search courtland roofing and you'll see.
Speaker 2: Those reviews, all right it's the time of year where the weather still feels, pretty nice but we're a few weeks away from scorching, hot CONDITIONS and i would imagine there are a lot of listeners that have considered getting their roof replaced and like waiting for the. Right, time well today's the right time because you happen to have an incredible.
Speaker 1: Spring special let's hear. About, that yeah so we've got a.
Speaker 5: Killer offer this is a one time or this is the time of the year that you want to take advantage of.
Speaker 1: This opportunity so it's.
Speaker 5: Really twofold so the first one is is if you need new, ring gutters we'll do all brand new seamless rain gutters with a. Roof replacement and if you don't need new, ring gutters then we'll give you fifteen hundred dollars off the replacement of. Your roof if you call today.
Speaker 2: Today's day you're gonna save a grip. Of money and it is the time to get this done before the conditions get. Scorching hot so here's the number our Friends At cortland roofing standing by at eight oh one six one five five five.
Speaker 4: Six zero he's Depride, Of norwich connecticut and an adopted Son Of Salt. Lake city after forty years With The utah jazz there's no one better to talk. Some Hoops Richard smitty smith is back on the DRIVE on espn. Seven hundred, all right.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for your chance to win a free round of Golf. To Bonneville, oh man my. Home course we're gonna send you to play eighteen Holes. At bonneville it Is The festival teas brought to you Via The Utah. GOLF Association eats Day OF spring espn. IS seven espn seven hundreds is given a rounds of golf to the best courses in. The state listen To the Down and Dirty With scott mitchell from ten, to Eleven the Sean O'Connell show from eleven. To two in this, little program the drive was spence checkets from two to six for your chance to win each DAY from espn seven Hundred The Utah golf association DETAILS on espn seven hundred sports. Dot Com richard smith is live. IN studio i have tasked him with coming up With a jazz draft trivia question that will drop on you at the end of, This segment so.
Speaker 1: Stay, Tuned Smitty, happy. Tuesday sir how. Are you we're, Doing, great spence what's going? On here it's great to. SEE you a lot of stuff, going on a lot of stuff, going ON and i need to. GIVE you i need to give.
Speaker 2: You credit as the kids, Would say i'm gonna give your, flowers wow because you. Are good to remind us that when it comes to, playoff basketball anything, can happen Like A steph curry hamstring Or A jason. Tatum, achilles unfortunately no part of me Thought the knicks had a chance Against The. Boston, celtics yet for the first time since the year, two Thousand The New york knicks are back in the. Conference finals in two thousand they Play The, indiana pacers and in twenty twenty five they will Play The.
Speaker 1: Indiana pacers, you.
Speaker 9: Know so it's, Wild.
Speaker 10: Too spence the LAST night i was on a flight coming Back To salt LAKE and i just happened to flip on. The screen it was a thirty for thirty On the knicks two championship teams in seventy and, seventy three and just the genesis of that and all the guys talking, about It And walt Frazier And bill Bradley And phil jackson and all, Those guys and it was a reminder of how electric the league, can be especially, you Know With new york being the center of it When the knicks are good and when, they're competitive and how that kind of ramps.
Speaker 9: Everybody up so it's.
Speaker 10: A fun time of the year in, the playoffs especially when you get TO the nba version Of The, final four but also if you happen to Be a knicks fan wherever, you are, you know it's kind of a, you know maybe a, semi unexpected, you know turn of events to get to. This far but that's why you're playing. The playoffs it's. What happens. You know you can get that right spence or you can get the, flip side which is what the Unfortunately the, jazz had, you know, three four five, years ago and they were one of the better teams and one of the expected teams to make an extended run and then stub their toe a few times in the playoffs Against, the clippers and and and just you know a reminder of how tenuous it is at this time, of year and how fine that line is on the positive side or the, negative side just depending what. Can, happen right everybody Had the celtics And Then jason tatum goes, down unfortunately and But the knicks have been playing well And the knicks have won is it four or five road gamesaive road games in the first two.
Speaker 1: Two series.
Speaker 10: That's unbelievable, you Know The, HOUSTON rockets i believe have the Record if i'm, not mistaken in ninety four when they won, the championship, They won. THEY won i believe it was nine road games to get TO The nba championship and they had two series where they won three road games in particular series on their way to. Doing that and that's, to me that's always been one of the great accomplishments and never gets talked, about enough is Is how houston made that run that year and especially all those road games they wont.
Speaker 2: Oh it get it gets, Talked, About smidy it gets talked about plenty because they Beat.
Speaker 1: The knicks who Did the jazz lose to in?
Speaker 2: Ninety, four no it was ROCKET because i can remember so for our, younger listeners look. It Up michael jordan had retired and as a child Of the jazz And. THE knicks i thought, to myself ninety four is the year That the jazz And the knicks are going to play in. THE finals i had Forgot that houston actually beat. Both, teams, yeah Well the Houston the jazz. Were favored they came in as the, three Seed that houston was a sixth Seed. The jazz and that was the year the jazzon made the Trade for jeff warn a SECOND and uh and And the jazz are feeling pretty good and we're in a, good SPOT and Uh and Houston went that was when the first round series were best of five And the jazz had the first two at home and went to to and then the fifth game was Here In, salt lake AND and uh And the jazz are up seven with five minutes to go, at HOME and Uh And clyde drexler went on the little runs RIGHT and uh And the jazz couldn't stop him at that moment, in TIME and Uh and houston got over the hump in that series and then parlayed that into a great run all, THE way uh to. The finals but that was that, also precipitated, you know a lot of a thinking AND and uh, head scratching you know By the jazz the next couple of years really was was what Precipitated the jazz bringing In A chris morris because when we looked at that and and tried to, analyze everything and and you never try and get, you know too reactionary to those things again plus, or minus because it's a series and a couple things can happen in a couple, of games and you don't want to wipe away what you did over a six month period over eighty two games because you had a, bad weekend right or something. Like that but when we looked, at That the jazz, looked, at hey if we are going to get over, this hump Which the jazz felt at, that time we have a.
Speaker 9: Good team we have a highly.
Speaker 10: Competitive team, you know we can really do, some damage, you know in these coming years with the core we have Now With stockton Malone. And horniseck but we have to have someone if we get to this spot again that can play a matchup Against A clyde drexler, type guy because we're going to be seeing. Him again and so that precipitated the move that Eventually Became chris morris being added to, the team and then We play houston in ninety seven In That western, conference finals and now they got, a team but they've Also added barkley to go Along, with drexler And the jazz were able to counter with their, big three But Also chris morris to match up Some against drexler just in terms of his length and athleticism and And the jazz, you know pushed through at that time and got to their first finals in. Ninety Seven b russ on. That Team b, Russ, was yeah he was the. Starting three so he, oh, yeah, yeah yeah, he was and and and and he became a he worked, his way. You Know brian russell was a second round pick Out Of Long beach state and came in as as really a post player out of college and uh and made himself into A viable nba wing defender and what is commonly referred to now as a THREE and, d guy and became a reliable enough three point shooter that that helped Offset What jeff hornseack was able to do on the other wing with, his shooting and then of course spaced, that, floor Uh for Carl and john to run picking rolls And for carl to have some space to operate.
Speaker 1: Down low, shandon, Too Right.
Speaker 10: Shandon Anderson and anderson was a rookie in, ninety seven so his first two years in the league were the two years At the jazz run to.
Speaker 9: The finals, that yeah.
Speaker 2: That's RIGHT so i was thinking about THIS when i saw you on the, rundown today because you had a front row seat to The Early jalen brunson experience With The. Dallas mavericks, THE final I guess I'll say nail and the coffin without trying to be too Dramatic Of Gobert. Mitchell quinn you know that group was the series you guys Played. Against dallas luca, Gets Hurt rick carlisle gives the Ball. To jalen you're our ball and hand, guy now and it worked, really WELL and i think it caught a lot of people. Off guard and of Course the knicks did. Their calculation, they said we're going to go all in on. That kid His dad rick as. An assistant he Was a nick back in. The day are you surprised To see jalen elevate to this level or did you see it coming based off of what you.
Speaker 1: Guys, Experienced no I'm personally.
Speaker 10: I'M surprised i Always Liked jalen brunson coming out of College, at villanova, you know where they won. Two championships but he was he was always a. Steadying influence he always played with a.
Speaker 1: Calm.
Speaker 10: Demeanor uh he Got to dallas as a second. Round pick Give Give Dennis, Dennis, lindsay uh. Some, props dennis who's the general manager Of the jazz at, the Time Liked rick brunson in. The draft it didn't it didn't go. Our way he ended up going early in the second Round, to dallas. You know and again the way sometimes these, Things happened spence and and people people try and write it differently than it. Really was But but Rick, Brunt Rick jalen brunson was a nice player For The dallas mavericks and a good.
Speaker 9: Rotation guy doncic.
Speaker 10: Goes down you look down, the BENCH and i can give you countless times that's happened over my years IN the nba where, a coach, you know looked down the bench, and, said well uh pointed to and, guys said, you're up and you're you're expecting not, anything great be expecting someone to maybe plug their finger in the dike and just hold you in place somehow while some of your main guys go to work or somebody does something in, that regard and then somebody comes out of the Woodwork Like jalen brunson Against the jazz in that. Playoff series and uh and, And, again spence you look at it and and people will have their own version of of what you should or could or would have done. And Whatnot But jalen brunson was a surprise in, that series, played well helped them immensely to win. That, series Okay the jazz stubbed their toe in, that regard but now here we are several years Later And jalen brunson is doing the exact same thing when everybody he's going to do the exact, same thing and they haven't been able to. Stop it so it shows, his persistence, his development his talent and skill level that he has the confidence to play. That way and he's become obviously a main guy IN the nba and has showed everybody that he can lift that kind of heavy load when it's called. Upon him and but he may never have gotten the chance to, show that and he may, still be, you know a good rotation Guy for dallas on his second mid. Level contract whatever If if doncich hadn't, gotten hurt that's that's, that proverbial, you know be ready when your number, is called you know mantra and that you always. Tell guys and then when you're, in there here. You go you always said you wanted more. Playing time here's your more. Playing time let's see what. You got and To To jalen, brunson's credit he's been able to pilay that into you know what is he is now in the middle of a of A terrific nba career and uh and the main guy For the knicks at the at.
Speaker 2: The, Moment Yeah and i've been so impressed with his both mental and. PHYSICAL toughness i know it, sounds cliche but you look at him and he's a. Sturdy kid But Even, drew holliday who's one of the best primeter defensive players that we've had in, A generation drew had some good moments, on Him but jalen would take him down on. The Block derek white didn't have a prayer against Him because jalen just backed. Them down and six' one maybe six', One quite Honestly, and AGAIN bill but i DON'T know that i really knew that he had this physical presence and mental toughness the way and he seems like. A, perfect nick yeah.
Speaker 10: Well he's he's got the demeanor spence that when things, don't go right you. Never see him all these guys always always go crazy and they're yelling at the ref or, they're you know throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the game and whatever way. They Want to jalen brunson always just has. A calm demeanor whether the, ball went in whether the ball, didn't go in or he, got the call he didn't.
Speaker 9: Get the, call you know. He's just.
Speaker 10: Playing he's, Playing You know john stockin was one of the greatest, at doing, it you know just looking ahead to the next play and not worrying about what happened, ten seconds ago. Good Or Bad and jalen brunson's. Got that skill and again To, the point DEWEY as, an nba fans ever see that if The scenario with, doncic years, earlier you know.
Speaker 9: DOESN'T doesn't occur i mean.
Speaker 1: A lot of guys just.
Speaker 10: Need the chance and that's why we always want to talk, about the draft which obviously will be doing a lot of in the next month or so and trying to project GUYS. At the nba you just never know how someone is, going to play no matter what their talent or Skill level or nate, poletic abilities are until they get in the fire and you put him in there and, the pressure's on and, now you see you know, how they think what, their twitch is what their, confidence level is all those kinds of things you. Never quite know it's the old It's The old.
Speaker 9: Mike.
Speaker 10: Tyson accident right everybody's got a plan until they get hit in the face and then the plan goes.
Speaker 9: Out the window and now we see what. You really Got And and jalen brunson's doing.
Speaker 1: That in. Spades you Know, frank is sola friend.
Speaker 2: Of the, Show in fact porter reach Out, to Is sola tell isola That with The nixon, the conference finals he has to come.
Speaker 1: On THE show he.
Speaker 9: I like this. I.
Speaker 10: Like this porter, by the way your guy here calling out like a national figure by, his LAST Name.
Speaker 1: Call i, SOLA without me i saw is NOT a. Thing i saw it's not a.
Speaker 2: Thing without Me but but frank always talks about and, then he'll tweet He'll write about there really isn't any hard data to support The Narrative that tom tibboteau plays his. Players too much it. Does not exist and when you, look at It This year steve kerr was. Playing ten guys steph, Does his hamstring Boston's ten d tatum. Does his achilles the data. Does not exist it's a narrative That exists that tom plays his. Guys, TOO much however i know. You Were Traveling, But friday, night game six the score is one hundred and ten TO seventy four yep with six Minutes Left and jalen brunson is fighting over Screen SET. By xavier tillmanep, pull the guys. PULL the starters I know It's tom's, THICK and again i want, to be clear there really. Is no data my soul has been on. This for years there's no Data to indicate tom plays his, players too much so they. All get hurt guys, just get hurt. No matter what but what do you make of that with five and a half minutes left, in the game all the starters are in and They're up forty why do you think he?
Speaker 1: Rolls, that way well If, you KNOW TIBs which i know you.
Speaker 10: Do is somewhat he is a high strung guy and he is all and he is He is he he's one of those guys who just believes and he just feels with his gut that no lead is safe and. It doesn't matter and you can talk to HIM and And I, know rick brunson one of, the assistant coaches is probably the best at it to be able to go up to, him, and, say, hey coach, coach it's, uh you know let's get him, out or something and he'll he'll like look at him and give him a scowl like what? Are you, talking you, know, you, know okay yeah and wave him. Off or whatever and it's, Just against, uh tim's nature uh. To do that that's just the. Way he coaches he's gonna go down with with. With, those guys, okay it's smart it's, not smart whatever, But. You're right spence all, during the Season whenever the knicks had a little ripple or something didn't go right, during the season or they had, a you know lost, three or four, whatever it was there would always be people. Harping on it while he's playing this guys too much and it's too many minutes and you gotta cut it back as when you get, to the playoffs they got to have some energy left and blah blah blah and whatever and and but now they're in. The conference finals They've, beaten the celtics they had some Tough, games against detroit which is an up. And coming team they're in the final FOUR.
Speaker 9: Of the nba.
Speaker 10: You don't hear anybody complaining about tims is playing the, guys, TOO much, right i mean it's just a narrative that that somebody gets on and somebody takes it and runs. Off with it and whether it makes sense or, not or, whatever you know you always people always are going to use it to whatever way they want to, skew, the argument right and if they're if they're, losing some games it's, going to be.
Speaker 9: Oh they ran.
Speaker 10: Out of gas they played brunts at. Forty three minutes you can't do that then to, play you know whatever. It's gonna be and, So you know tis is gonna Coach the. Way TIBs has look he Did. It, in chicago uh He. Did in minnesota you know the way he's he Alway coaches The knicks new that's. How he coaches that's how he's gonna be if he can get his team to, a high level which. Obviously they have and they made the big. Trade last summer they went all in on this group by making The Trade For karl anthony towns and Also Bringing in michal bridges and giving up a bunch of their draft picks and all that kind of stuff they had, in the bank and they rolled the. Dice on it and again things have, fallen, their way.
Speaker 9: Right they won they.
Speaker 10: WON three games i think it Was in, the detroit series like in the, last thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: The ball.
Speaker 10: Fell their way they, made a shot they, got to stop they got To, steal the celtics the same thing, in game one and then they got they got The. Thing with tatum and so, to this point those breaks that they some of them, they've made themselves but some of them have. Happened for them and in whatever way you want, to interpret it they find themselves now in. The conference, finals and, uh you Know In, being new york as you Know very well, spence first, hand you know, whether, they win uh they'll, be the greatest the greatest. Thing on earth and, if they lose they'll they'll be down in the depths, Of, you know uh in the under six feet, under the ground and and there'll be this guy's fault and that guy's fault and the other guy's. Fault and whatever and that's just the way It Is. In new york and, at the moment they. Ride and high so we'll see what happens at. Starting, TOMORROW night.
Speaker 1: Honestly I was just i was, kind OF chuckling but i was a.
Speaker 2: LITTLE bit, Nervous i mean We're Watching o Gianna Nobe, guarding Baylor shireman, and i'm like what if what are we doing here on the other. Side of things i'll continue to give you credit as a, guy, that's like look. Anything can happen come, and playoff basketball and more, often than not in a, seven game series the best. Team does Advance and maybe indiana was just, the Best team but cleveland was so good in. The Regular season And kenny gets Coach of The year and donovan's probably gonna Be FIRST, Team all Nba Mobley gets defensive Player, of the year, and you know it Was. Interesting In smithy after game six it was a game six, Or game, five game Six when, the pacers won whichever the, Clothes Out was kenny atkinson readily admitted like they're at a level, That, we're not like they're better than we. Are right Now And then rick carlisle steps to the podium. And owns, it, he's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah we're flying we're.
Speaker 2: Playing the best basketball we played, all year long which is, the, old cliche right play the right way at the right time. Of the year what do you make of The way the pacers were able to Get rid of Donovan And.
Speaker 1: The, cleveland cavaliers well.
Speaker 9: It was a great.
Speaker 10: Series for them, first of all they, have been running running hot the second half. Of the season they've been. Playing Very Well. The indiana pacers they after they stumbled out of the Gates early In, november And, december and, halliburton you know maybe wasn't his usual self whatever early, in the season but they got their. Feed under them they Got Through the, all star break they played very well, the second half and they've just they've just gotten on a you know what some people would. Call a heater, they've they've played. They're playing well it's not a surprise because they're a good team and they've. Got good players but when they play together And The way rick, carlisle has them how they, share the ball. They move it uh it doesn't matter who. Gets The credit but haliburton is the, key for them and he's got that kind of A Personality like gilgess alexander does OR for For Okc and jalen brunson Does with the knicks where, they're the catalyst. But they don't they they all have that mindset that they don't care who else does it as long as. It gets Done and the pacers are on that kind. Of a role and winning that First game in cleveland where they came back and they were doubt they, should have lost and, they they again the ball bounced their way a couple Of times and mitchell got the offensive foul call, that was Questionable and then haliburton misses, a free throw but he ends up with the ball back, as a rebound which should never HAPPEN, in the nba and is able to stick that three. At the, buzzer you know those are the things that have to take place along the way if you're gonna have some kind of an. Extended playoff run so none of these things. Are a surprise it's just when you're the team that. It's happening too in. A positive way you want to keep those things going and you want to make sure that your mindset doesn't trick you into thinking that you're better.
Speaker 9: Than you are. That, you understand okay we got. To, break there okay the other game the guy fell down and, lost the, ball you know.
Speaker 10: Whatever it is and so but we have to stick to what we believe we can do to the best of our ability to give us a chance.
Speaker 9: To BE successful and i think they're gonna be, TWO terrific series. I really do i think it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Fun to watch before we, CATCH a break i have A, question about donovan and IN the question i will insert an OPINION and then i want.
Speaker 1: You to go and you might get mad at.
Speaker 9: Me for this I'm.
Speaker 1: Already, mad spence okay well that's.
Speaker 2: THAT'S the smittymo i can always angry because, Here's, the, thing like ultimately if you just look at the numbers and you look at some of the playoff, explosions he has he's in the most, rarefied Of, air Including, mike Including Iverson including kobe like, Individual playoff scoring donovan is on a short list of somebody who's been able to do what he's done throughout the first seven eight years. Of his career never been out of, the second Round and certainly i'm not putting a team sport. On ONE player but i noticed at times here and maybe he was out of necessity and At, times in cleveland like when he just goes all in on doing. His own thing it's really fun to watch at times because he's that talented and he's that good and he can Get his own but at times it feels like his teammates stand around and watch him and suddenly, they're not cutting or, they're not guarding or they're, not boxing out and you've got a bunch of guys standing watching one dude, do his thing and at times maybe at the expense, of the team and then at times he runs. Out of gas, we saw, It and look cleveland has to rely on him in a very heavy way offensively because he, is that good and you guys did the same thing because he. Is that dynamic but at times does it feel like he puts blinders on to the point where maybe it's not conducive. To team winning is that fair or what are your?
Speaker 1: Thoughts?
Speaker 10: ON it yeah i would push back on that somewhat spence, he you know he does those things because he knows that he. Can do them he knows that his team is, relying on him that the heavy load. Is on him but that stuff, you're talking about that's on. The, other guys sure, the other guys, that's their problem their fault if they're standing around watching him instead of instead, of cutting baseline instead of spacing, out weak side instead of going and getting a screen on somebody or rolling to the front of the rim or, whatever it is that's on the other guys to not, be ball watchers on the other guys to understand this is. What's going on my guy is about to spin dribble to his left and get in the lane and try and do a double pump or something at. The DOTTED line so i got to get in a position for, a POTENTIAL rebound or i got at least get in front of my guy and try and box him out so maybe we can get offensive tip or Something in those, In, THOSE circumstances donovan i can tell you he's all about. Trying to win he's all about trying to do what he can to affect winning, for his group and those things that when they've, come up short it hasn't been. Because of him he gives the maximum effort as, you alluded, to you know big scoring numbers. And all that that's what he's there to do, in those instances and it's on his teammates to fill in the cracks and do, the other, things you know to get you.
Speaker 1: Over the hump are you Ready with your jazz?
Speaker 2: Draft trivia question for one lucky listener to go play Eighteen holes at bonneville or just?
Speaker 1: A basketball trash. I, Got yeah well i'm trying to think of something that's not easy for people. To just. Remember, GOOGLE it yeah, I know it i.
Speaker 10: Know It's okay the jazz the nineteen nineteen ninety SEVEN. Draft The nba the jazz had as Their Point guards John Stockton And, howard howard isley and yet they still decided in the late first round to pick. Another point guard did you know to give them three point guards in a in a in A Summer where howard eisley was going to be? A free, Agent mm hm and so cause, a little consternation but it was a best. Player available thing Who is the jazz's first round pick in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Went on to become? A head coach can we? Give that hints can We. Give that hittraw now see now the now the.
Speaker 9: Walls are crumbling, now you're given given it all away.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred text, in the name and we're going to send you to Play, golf at bonneville.
Speaker 1: My home course Eighteen.
Speaker 2: Holes to bonneville eight seven seven three five three zero seven Hundred more was smithy coming up on, the other side but joining us. Live in studio we have a very special offer for you from Our Friends. At cortland roofing It's my guy. Corey, Once Again. Corey happy tuesday.
Speaker 1: How you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: How are? You i'm good right out. Of the gates you have got a great offer for people during the spring season to.
Speaker 1: Replace their roof let's. Hear, about it yeah so.
Speaker 5: We have to have a killer offer that we're just. Doing for today so give us a call at eight oh one six one five five. Five six zero but the. Offer is twofold, first of all if you need, new rain gutters, if we do if we, replace your roof we'll give you brand new five inch. Seamless rain gutters if you aren't in need, of rain gutters then we'd give you fifteen hundred dollars OFF the roof a roof, replacement.
Speaker 2: Bottom line if you've been thinking about getting, your roof replaced right now is the time because you're gonna save literally thousands of dollars eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five. Five six, zero all right why is right now, A, good time corey? GET this, done i mean obviously warm weather's.
Speaker 1: On, the way yeah so we have great.
Speaker 5: Weather right now this is the best time to do. A, new roof, also you know we've, had some wind some crazy windstorms over the last couple of weeks that have done some damage to roofs, where You know in july we get, the monsoon rain the heavy, rains that obviously if the roof is, not put together and you have areas that have, costs for leaking then that can up the price tag of what it will cost her to Repair inside the so really the roof is the most important part of the house to, get it repaired to get, it looked at to make sure that it's all it's.
Speaker 1: All tightened Up five. Star google reviews that's the only type of. REVIEW you have i was looking.
Speaker 2: On your website they're, all five stars so you, can be trusted you have, your own crew and you also offer. A, great, warranty yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah so that's really is a testament to the quality of the work that we do and the trust that we have from are the homeowners that we've helped out. In the, past and yeah we because we're, a preferred contractor, meaning with manufacturers they, have preferred contractors and with that, preferred contractor rating we're able to offer a lifetime warranty, on all roofs which is the best warranty.
Speaker 1: In the, business bottom line save.
Speaker 2: Thousands of dollars get that roof replaced before the weather gets warm with Our Friends at cortland roofing right now by calling eight oh one six one five five. Five six zero that's eight oho one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six Zero Online at cortland. Roofing, dot com, corey thanks, man all. RIGHT thank You I have morris smitty coming up next RIGHT here on. ESPN Seven Hundred.
Speaker 1: Nba playoff.
Speaker 2: Basketball Returns tonight the conference Finals in the West Is first oklahoma City, taken on minnesota and, then tomorrow night it Will be the Knicks and the celtics Live, from the mecca the world's, Most Famous Arena. Madison square garden let's get, His Mic. ON richard smith.
Speaker 9: I Always. LOVE that spence i always loved the world's. Most famous arena it's such.
Speaker 1: An AUDACIOUS player AND i.
Speaker 9: Always i always quickly say, myself self proclaimed.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's.
Speaker 2: It's very audacious it's one of the things you just say, it out loud, and you know people just tend to. Latch, ONTO it, YEAH i, KNOW i. Know i know, but we uh we did a Lot On the knicks. Pacers last series talked To, a little donovan Talked. A little calves let's move over and Now, to the west and we'll end with some jazz, For, The segment smitty Let's, start in minnesota where Your old Friend rudy, go beart resides Your Old friend, Mike Conley, Resides, Joey Ingles. Nikkeil alexander walker kind of The Jazz, Version midwest jazz midwest team that actually is still playing and. Actually is good. Unlike the jazz we'll get to that. In the, moment you know we talked about This with. The TATUM stuff and i Don't Know if golden state Beats Them. WITH steph curry i know it looks a, Lot different certainly but what do You MAKE of and i, read THIS earlier and i was unaware the top two records in Pro basketball, Since March first Oklahoma city won minnesota two didn't start. Out that well they were trying to Figure out, the randall, stuff You Know and julius randall is a very talented. Individual offensive, SCORER at times I think the knicks asked a little too, much of him and He Was an all star once, upon a time obviously a. Very capable player he seems to have settled in. Quite a bit what do you Make Of how chris finch's coaches Team Of The. Western, CONFERENCE finals yeah.
Speaker 9: I think that it's taken a little. While to adjust, BUT you Know i think randall is in a good spot because he doesn't have to. Be the guy he doesn't have to be doing all.
Speaker 10: The heavy lift and Obviously With with anthony edwards there and so he takes a lot of the Spotlight off H but but randall, is a, good good player uh in, the mid post and he's also a better passer than, most people think and, a WILLING passer and i think he fits in well, with that, group you know on the Other side, from jade McDaniels who's who's really a, good wing defender has become a serviceable, three point shooter and they've gotten a. Nice Rhythm going and rudy has always been the. Ultimate team guy he, just you know tries to fill in the cracks where he can and make himself available on the offensive end and does what. He does, defensively, and so uh they're on, a nice. Role YOU know and i think it's gonna be a. REALLY competitive series, i, really think uh the home teams are going to gonna prevail during. THIS this round i just think, that those guys they seem to, both play better a little bit more energized with, their home crowds which are both really, terrific you know, During the PLAYOFFS and so i think it's gonna be, fun to watch and it's gonna be interesting to see how they come Out the Old, rust versus, rest you know a debate will Happen, tonight between okay see just coming off a tough seven game series and finishing up forty eight hours Ago basically and minnesota having almost, a week off and and so it's it's gonna be interesting to see how the two.
Speaker 2: Teams come, out Oddly enough ok se six and two with one day of rest during The playoffs and minnesota two and four with more than three, days of rest and they have five days, Of, rest, obviously okay see a bunch of bunch of young players probably don't need as much rest as some of the teams that are a. Little bit older let me let me Ask you about rudy, THOUGH you know i was watching it Was Game, six nick celtics and there was One Possession where mitchell robinson.
Speaker 1: WAS was guarding i Think It.
Speaker 2: WAS luke cornette a pass went out, To the wing robinson goes out, and closes out, comes Back. Down checks cornette then the ball goes to The Corner to Jalen Brown and mitchell robinson goes out and closes out guarded like. Three different positions the way that the game, is played now it asks a lot from a big to guard, on the perimeter to get out and close out to, guard Multiple players and rudy does it as, well as anybody but for some reason does not. Get the credit do you why do you. Think that is it feels like there's just people that have dug their heels in and they're just gonna hate everything he does.
Speaker 10: No, Matter WHAT yeah and i THINK that that's i think you just said, A. LOT there spence i think some people get on a certain narrative and then they just won't let it go.
Speaker 9: For whatever reason, it's you.
Speaker 10: Know it's, unfortunate you know you have to really watch the games and pay attention to, what's going on and you realize all of the we we had a in house metric system that was a proprietary thing that We that the JAZZ developed when i was there to gauge our our defensive analytics and stuff and to go off off the page of of what what the numbers SHOWED you And uh, and rudy, constantly you know graded so so far above everybody else in the league in terms of what he meant on the defensive END to teams.
Speaker 9: Uh in games and he continues.
Speaker 8: To do, that.
Speaker 10: You know he's gotten to the point in his career where he knows that he doesn't have to do all of, these you know a bunch of things. In the basket he just has to do. Some of them and and do them very well and and let the other people do what they're supposed to be doing in order to have have some. Level of success and he's he's learned how to do that, and and uh he's smart about it and uh and and he's a guy that's gonna be a very valuable Key uh from minnesota in this series if they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have any success it's funny YOU reference and i don't pretend to know the ins and outs of your in house metric system as it pertains To the way, Rudy impacted winning but it reminds me OF an interview I did when i was doing The show at gordon And we. Had dennis On we had, dennis lindsay on and he hit us with like ten straight Stats.
Speaker 1: About everything rudy does you know.
Speaker 2: Offensive, field goal, percentage rebound, percentage black percentage the opponent's field Goal percentage against rudy? AT the RIM i mean i lost track. After a while he just, boom boom boom. Boom boom boom did you guys ever feel like you had to stand? Up for him did you ever feel like the heat he was getting with so unfair that as an organization you had to get out in front of it. A, LITTLE bit yeah i.
Speaker 10: Mean there was some of that because, it's you know a lot of the, noise you, hear you know is around it from people, who are lazy who, just you know take, some you know the cream off the top and leave the rest of the dessert there and don't don't bother digging in to see what else is going on and and uh and it always felt bad for him because Not only was rudy an integral part of what those jazz teams did as his as, his career progressed but he also, we also, knew you know, behind Closed doors that rudy was one of our guys who was really about, helping the team uh to whatever extent he could. To be successful it wasn't about, His own honors it wasn't, about you know getting. Attention to himself he really cared about how the. Team was doing and and and sometimes when, he got attacked and, in that regard you felt bad for him because you knew that he was trying to do the things that the coaches were asking, him to, do you know.
Speaker 9: Within his ability and, his skill level uh to be able.
Speaker 10: To execute that and when it, didn't go well, or you know you, missed an assignment or you miss, something that happened and and and people were. Pointing to, you you know you just felt that it was unfair because you knew he was one of your guys who was trying to do, the right thing even.
Speaker 9: If.
Speaker 2: He failed sometimes do you think that it affected him on, a personal level like? Behind closed, doors you Know because the draymond stuff it, got so old but It. WASN'T just, draymond i mean it felt like and it still Feels, LIKE quite frankly I was watching i was watching. Something earlier Today IT. Was gilbert a renus who just Decided. To attack rudy, he was like he's the Liability on. This minnesota TEAM and, like i said it feels like there's a faction of people in the league that HAVE just decided i. Don't like him do you think behind closed doors it? Really hurt him do you think it?
Speaker 1: Got?
Speaker 10: To, Him, SURE yeah NO i think i think he's he's, human like anybody, and you know he would like to be recognized for his efforts and for the work. He puts in, AND you know i, tell you what nobody worked harder on his and and on his, ability to, move you know from. Side to side and and you know with his hips and and being. Able, to recover uh. Then he did and, he always, uh you know he always put. The work in he always put. The time in look he's, He's seven too he's got some limited.
Speaker 9: True.
Speaker 10: Athletic ability uh and then the rest of the stuff he has to you know make, up with, uh you know whether it's with his length or with his smarts or with his instincts or. What have you and and he was always someone who. Would do that and and and it's it's easy, that you know the a lot of, the national guys it's just a lazy narrative because they don't want to do the work and they don't really. Look at it they just kind of jump. On a bandwagon, and you know, as you know, spencing this business it's all, about you know clicks, and you know sound, bites and whatever, and you know whatever is easy and and and, so that's. Unfortunate you know, and you Know But but rudy is has, never backed, down you know from his teammates, and his coaches and has always been there to to uh to give a maximum effort from what. He can, do and yeah he'd like to be one of the boys, in the room, and you know have all, the other, guys you know dap them up and all that, kind of stuff, and you know accept him, into the club. So to speak and there are some guys who are jealous that he's been recognized as A Four Time nba defensive Player. Of the year and you, know, it's interesting, uh, you know similar, not the same but maybe in, the same uh in the same. Boat as Uh now now i'm blanking out. On his name the center Who Won the defensive Player of the year Awards For the detroit pistons in the in, the two thousands who was Also A. Non Ben wallace ben wallace a non a, non offensive. Guy, you Know Uh, but ben, Wallace you know. Rudy was longer, rudy's you. Know MORE effective maybe, I Don't know ben wallace, presents you know maybe a little tougher persona OR personality maybe. I don't know but you never heard any of those criticisms Of Anybody, about ben, wallace you know or you know that he was short, on offensive production or couldn't do this or. That or whatever and, For whatever reason rudy HAS gotten that i don't know. What that is, YOU know again i think somebody way, down the, road you know started that narrative and then, just kind, of you know jumped down the bandwagon and decided to ride, with it man you.
Speaker 1: Know well and with.
Speaker 2: Little jazz stuff but before, WE get there i. Know your reference you like both teams that have. Home court advantage my Only Hesitancy, WITH oklahoma city i guess Is the way. I'LL put, this, i mean look they have everything. That you want, they have depth they, have star power they, have great, coaching they guard they can score in a myriad. OF different ways i always hesitate to anoint A team if i haven't seen them. Do it before minnesota Was In The western conference finals. A Year ago Oklahoma, city beat telicans then got Smoked. By the MAVs do you feel Like this is okayse's time or which way you lean it?
Speaker 1: On, BOTH sides NO i just i think it's, going to, be you know, come down, to you know beating a dead.
Speaker 10: Horse or spence but the team that can avoid injury, can avoid, somebody you.
Speaker 9: Know not playing.
Speaker 10: In, a game, say for example somebody picks up three quick files and is out extended time and the other team is able to take. Advantage of that hopefully we Don't Get another Steph Curry or, jason tatum thing and everybody can play at full strength and you, can just, see you know. WHAT'S going on i think if all the guys are, on the floor and all the guys are available and playing the way, that they're capable That's that's why i'm excited, for BOTH series because i think they're both going to. BE very competitive i think the team that keeps its head within its self doesn't get caught up in all, the you know the historyonics they can happen at this point in the playoffs and people yelling at the referees every other whistle and getting. Upset about things if you can keep your calm and just stay in your moment and try and concentrate on what you need, TO do next i think that that's those are the teams that are gonna have a head up and have a better chance of succeed succeeding in getting.
Speaker 2: To the, finals all right before we let you, go for today let's Do a. Little jazz basketball so the draft is Coming up on june. The Twenty fifth the jazz. Have number five they have, number twenty one they have forty three. And fifty three so to. First two, Seconds You know bobby mars joined us yesterday and did a really really good job of, outlining you know my question. Him was okay so the NARRATIVE is the nba is now, built for PARODY and the nba is now built by design for every team in every city to. Have a shot so over the, past seven Years we've seen denver, In a Championship we've seen milwaukee. Win a championship this Year, we have Indianapolis, We Have, minnesota oklahoma city three of the. Final four teams it is a perfect time for a team that plays Their Basketball In salt lake city to be able to capitalize on the LANDSCAPE. Of, the Nba unfortunately the, jazz aren't ready and there's five years LEFT. In the cba it expires. IN twenty thirty i don't know what's. GOING to happen i know there's a lot of pushback from people that don't like the way this thing. Has played out there, ARE several reports i don't know how much of. THIS is real i don't know how much of this is True that the jazz are going, To be bold they're going to be. Bold this offseason they, have the assets they, have the picks they, have the space they have. The young players what does a successful offseason look Like For the, Utah, JAZZ maidy well.
Speaker 10: I think they have to be bold because they have nowhere to go. But up there they not only had the worst record in the league, this past season but they by a lot, of defensive metrics they, were one of if not the, worst defensive team.
Speaker 1: Uh in a lot.
Speaker 10: Of years, HISTORICAL but yeah i mean they, just you know they're just not very good. At the moment so there's nobody that's on the on the. Team that's untouchable, IN my opinion i, think you know when you're when you have the worst record and and you're not showing that you're making any progress because this, this defensive malaise, if you will has been the mantra the last, couple of, years you know, then then uh you you have. To make changes so it wouldn't surprise me that they try and make a. Lot, of moves uh make a. Lot of changes what? Does that yield what does? It look like all those things you know are. UP for grabs i think they're going to be doing a lot, Of, soul searching uh in terms of what is the next step that we're going to have to make to be able to start seeing some kind of a relevant and uh improvement in what we're. Trying, to do again, People get frustrated people get upset about what's what's taking place. At, the moment obviously you you go from hoping you get the first pick to the fifth pick, doesn't work out and so now you're. Even More, frustrated but spence they've only been doing this, for three years, and you know sometimes these, things, take five, six seven years and and. And sometimes, longer you know you don't have control over some, of the things, like the draft like the draft. Lottery last week so, to your point a lot of things are gonna be, on the table a lot of things are gonna they're gonna be. Trying to do how much, do they, do you know to to to The to The danny angel a mantra of. Big game hunting they're gonna be trying to do a lot of that. In, Different ways uh do they come, Back with anything do they have a whole different scheme in terms of their team and and what their personnel looks, like In uh next october remains. To be SEEN but but i think everything's on the table for them because they've gotta they've got to show THAT they're which i know they're, willing To do Because danny angels willing has shown in the past he's willing.
Speaker 6: To.
Speaker 10: Do anything uh but they have to show that they can start making moves that that look like they're making improvement and look like that they're they're moving in. The, right direction, uh you know, for the uh for the benefit of their of their, season ticket, holders their fans everybody who who are.
Speaker 2: Diehard jazz fans do you think they approach next year with best foot forward instead of inventing Injuries And having walker castler shoot seven.
Speaker 1: Threes, A night well.
Speaker 10: I think they i think they have to get they have to make some kind of a show that looks like they, are getting better.
Speaker 9: They are.
Speaker 10: Improving you know to do another year of this thing that they just did is going, to be difficult only from the standpoint that they're gonna be having people breathing down their, necks, to say hey you just did that and it didn't it, didn't work out so you're gonna, do it, Again you know and so that's that's gonna that would be, a hard, sell you know to. Their fan base and, uh and look nobody, wants to lose and nobody wants to do. It on purpose everybody wants to try and be a better. Version Of themselves and i'm sure they're gonna kick the tires on a lot of different things in the next several, months to, see you know how they can get that going in.
Speaker 2: The right direction great, to see. You my friend we'll let you. Get some rest thanks, for the Time Okay. Expense richard smith whatever reminds you guys To, Join me monday june the twenty third for the Twenty Twenty Five Van Ney charity golf Challenge At The black desert Resort In. Scenic saint george all the proceedings from this tournament go To Benefit The Van nor valor foundation that helps foster Kids And. The adoption foundation kyle was adopted, as an infant so this cause.
Speaker 1: Is very me meaningful to him. And his family we're gonna, be down there come hang.
Speaker 2: Out with us It, Starts on sunday june, the twenty second with a welcome cocktail party. At seven O'clock then on monday it's an eight am check. In and breakfast welcome is at. EIGHT forty five a shotgun start is, at nine am then the awards will take place.
Speaker 1: At two thirty lunch is served.
Speaker 2: On The Course van noi golf twenty five dot givesmart dot com. Is The Website van noi golf. Twenty twenty five dot gifsmart dot com. IS the website i want to tell you by MY Friends At. Ifa country stores when. The seasons change if you're like, any good coach you're gonna put together your game plan for a healthy green lawn and you'll turn THE. Experts at ifa check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your. Yard a hit It's the ultimate lono or owner POWER move AT ifa and ifa. Dot co op so we got playoff hockey all. The Station tonight carolina florida comes away. At six o'clock when. We say goodnight if you're looking for the hoops basketball, side of THINGS It. Is okc minnesota you can hear that. On the fans, so playoff basketball player. Off hockey tonight. We'll switch gears we'll talk, a little SOCCER. A little rsl the Head Coach over al slake is our Guest on, A Tuesday Afternoon, Pablo Master, eddie, happy tuesday sir how are We?
Speaker 11: Doing having tuesday? Doing well, Yourself i'm.
Speaker 2: WELL i'm well i hate to start with a, low hanging fruit but it's, been a, minute my guy it's been a minute since we've. SEEN a goal i believe the official tally is two hundred and. FORTY six, minutes i know we keep revisiting this and every week it feels like you are liking what you're seeing as far as the chances that, have been created it's the finishing that.
Speaker 1: Is left wanting are you still? In, that space, YEAH you know.
Speaker 11: I think, so you know it's it's it's been tough to see like the. Amount, OF times again i think one of the things that we've really worked on since last year has been progressing the ball from our goal to. Their opponents goal and and, to be fair it's. Not real sexy it gives us a lot of control, of the game but we're really really. Proficient at that and, then you know even this morning just broke down all the different chances that some of them were not even, getting shots on and they just come down to. Decision making patience some we have, to go faster some we have, to go slower and so just kind of breaking the different scenarios down for the guys so that they, can you. Know digest it we. Can train it, we, train it say we'll train it the rest of this, week and, hopefully you know because if we don't have that one guy that's, gonna you know and dig a little has been that guy and it's obviously a big burden to carry and it's not going to, Happen every game so how can we now figure out different solutions more as a front five as opposed to just relying on one. Or two guys and so that's that's really the methodology that we're going to take as to how we're going to flip this around and find more ways to goals and then hopefully if for those five front five are, operating in unison then we can release a pivot a little bit higher that'll give us. A six attacker, so that hopefully again doing, it by numbers doing, it by committee and doing it more, as a collective and so that's, it's been, frustrating but, again you, know you know we have all the pieces that we're going to have for for, the time being and the onnesses on myself to and the coaches to find solutions to get these guys hitting balls in the back.
Speaker 2: Of, the, NED look man i know you're an extremely POSITIVE person and i appreciate. That ABOUT you but i also watch you play for a, lot OF years and I feel like i know you, a LITTLE bit and i know that there's a stone cold killer and a competitor. In there somewhere at what point does it does? It become frustrating at what point does it become like WHAT else can i do to get this thing going in?
Speaker 4: The?
Speaker 1: Right direction yeah, YOU.
Speaker 11: Know AGAIN i think i, think we, are you know proud To say that i've evolved a little. Bit from, THAT from, THAT i mean i still have that, deep deep INSIDE or else i wouldn't be in this in this profession because it is. All about winning, but, there's also like, YOU know what i have to be the example for the rest, of, The GUYS right like i can sit here and be frustrated until my hands in the air. And place blame but at the end, of the, DAY you know i have to have. A cool head i have. TO find solutions i have to relay and sell that solution. To the players and and that's the that's the that's the beauty, of the, scraft you know because it's it's really, easy, to, say hey listen we lost forty something goals. From last year we're not going to be able. To score goals but the beauty of coaching is finding different solutions. To new problems and and, so for, me you know the one thing identified identify three different things in the attack that we the ways we. Can score goals one is, offensive, set pieces right and that's nothing to do with. Anyone in particular that's good delivery and bravery and getting.
Speaker 6: In.
Speaker 11: The box uh the other part is decisions and execution in. The final third and those are the things that we're going to continue. To work on that we worked on today and we work on the rest. Of the week and and the third thing is is making sure our shape behind the ball is such that we can create repetitive attacks and releasing a pivot and and so that we can from one attack we can get three. Or four opportunities so like that is that that's our action plan. For the week that's that's those are the areas that we've identified we. Can MAKE games and i think that's what the that's where. My focus lies so when you, talk about frustration it's when you stop coming up with different pathways to. ACHIEVE a goal i think is when. You GET frustrated and i think from a coaching perspective that frustration. Is about yourself and so that's WHERE that's where i stay positive because there's. Always a solution you just have to ask the right questions to get to the right to the right solutions and and and put a game plan in place. To achieve those and so that's, the plan, obviously you know, LIKE you said i think winning is the thing that drives to all, of us athletes is it is. The holy grail and when you're, not doing that and it's really easy to get, down on yourself down on, down on everyone. Down on life but but it's really about being resilient and for, me more importantly being the type of me behaving like the TYPE of player i want to see out. In the field and that's even though it's it's it's, not going well, you still, believe you're positive, you're finding solutions and you're proaching every day like it's a great opportunity, to get better fair.
Speaker 2: ENOUGH impressive growth i was going to make a joke about sending my father to fight you in.
Speaker 1: The locker room but we don't have to, Do, that today pablo we. Can leave.
Speaker 9: That i'm.
Speaker 2: Impressed i'm impressed you're a great example to somebody like me who has a little FIRE that you i don't need to throw them Monopoly board If i'm playing monopoly with my eight. Year, Old, nephew, Okay like yeah. I'M with YOU i just i hate to, keep, DIGGING here MAN i just. I DON'T know like i watch your, post game presser and there was a little something There after the COLORADO l and i see on, THE sideline like i just have To imagine if I'm as if i'm AS frustrated as i am watching your club and, ATTACK right now i just have to imagine at times you're looking around at teams that have payrolls ten times, more than yours and we were all expecting something more during the, primary transfer whinno and, It didn't come like? HOW are you I guess what, i'll ask is how are you digesting all this stuff when it does feel like you're entering a lot of matches up against it based off the players you have.
Speaker 11: At. Your, disposal yeah again you, know IT'S crazy and I guess maybe i'm, an eternal optimist but like it's so, hard to build like to build teams that are perennial playoff contenders and championship like, it takes time AND that's why I want to i'll go BACK to what i said, at the beginning is we started this project last year as far as changing our shape and really being ball secure and ball dominant in the way we built. From the back, and you know there's a bunch of crazy. Stats there is we're one of the top teams in the he is going from our goal to our, opponent's, Final third right so that's a stat and no one cares about that's that's useless information as far as you know results go. Game to game the hardest thing to do in soccer is really. That FINAL third and i just feel that we are so close to hit in the back. Of the net and there's all. IN every game i can show you six or seven different if there was one, decision made differently it would have hit the back. Of the net and you obviously can't, joystick the guys so you're giving them information and they're learning on the fly and so they're trying to digest this information and delivered. In real time, AND so like i feel really good about our offense until we get to, the final third and that's really. Where you know and you saw it last year With guys like gomez and guys, Like. You know chicho they were scoring goals with VERY little x g and it made the coaching seem like we were geniuses, at, The time right and it was really. Them making plays AND that's what i was alluding to, after the game is like just somebody smash the ball on top bind from, twenty yards, out you know somebody to get across the front of the defender and flick one in, the back. Post you know and it's just. About making, plays but oftentimes when you're not scoring a, Lot, of goals spence what ends up happening is that run is a, little bit late that passes a little bit late because you, start overthinking, it you know and. It doesn't come it's not, natural, To you right we're not operating in, the flow state and so it is it's tough and AGAIN and and i actually feel for the, it's MY frustration but i feel for the guys because it's very difficult to come in after damn. The same guys but ninety percent, of the game you guys on both sides of the ball are doing. A great JOB and and i can't give them the, the you know the the know how in real time where seconds and inches are the difference between scoring. And not scoring that type of EXPERIENCE one because i was in a, goal scorer myself, but they, just you know they're just lacking in that little bit of, that that polish that, that that. Nouse you know and AND and like, I Said earlier jego lun has been the guy that's been doing, that for us and it's impossible to expect a guy that hasn't typically, scored you know ten fifteen twenty goals a season to be that guy. Every single GAME and so i feel for him as well because he's doing a ton of. Work for us and at the end, of the day we all as a team come into that, locker room frustrated and it's really about one phase of the game that can really turn this thing, on the screws and, so it's, it's you know, if nothing else it's gonna it's going to bring, our you KNOW the way i feel about the way. We train today it's again two days for me are are the day because after, a tough result you can you, can drop tools. You cannot believe but these guys got after today and they're full of belief and commitment and the energy was. Just spot on and, so you know as long as, we have that we have we we we do. Have a chance and so now it's just about as a collective, working extremely hard believing harder than anyone doows because once you get, the first goal, the second goal then they start coming in droves and who knows It might be gozo that's going to be a ten goal. Score this year.
Speaker 2: At the risk of, LABORING the point i HAVE one more i guess not to be redundant point. To make here and once upon A time in mls it was a little bit different than. It is now like the two thousand and nine team we had here that won the cup was not near the highest BAID. Roster in mls they beat the team that was the highest BAIDE roster in mls that had A Guy named david beckham on it had A Guy named landon. Donovan on it the league has, changed sixteen years fifteen, sixteen years later.
Speaker 1: So now we can talk about it as more of, a grown up.
Speaker 2: Big BOY league although i do think there are several things about the infrastructure league that need to.
Speaker 1: Be looked at that's, just me personally AND, WHETHER, IT'S.
Speaker 2: Nfl nba nhl there, Is, one thing pablo and it's NOW prevalent in mls they can even, the playing field and that is economic investment meant in, talent period. Period, period period okay it didn't used to, be that way but it. Is that way and you have not received that from the front office. Or the ownership, you, Just HAVEN'T okay so i just need to know how that lands, With, YOU.
Speaker 11: AGAIN SPENCE i i i mean There's times where i'm watching other teams and the way they, go about It and, and i'm saying if we, just had that just, that one, GUY because again, i YOU know we're i, think we're two two attacking players away from being a top team in this in this conference and. In this league two top and, Again, why too well one because they'll help, with the goals but two it Will also activate luna in. A different, Way right now luna is the guy that's, been double, team triple teams and it just it's it's and it's a tough ask, to you know to to ask a guy, like you, know you know dom or goes Up or His SEUs or wolf, or you know to be the guy that scores goals when you know historically. It hasn't HAPPENED and so i agree that investment. Is really important you've got. To HAVE that and i do believe with two players that that we can we be and no one would. Recognize our team they wouldn't recognize all the work that's being done, and the commitment, the the graph the quality from our goal to to. The FINAL third but i think that, TWO players, would i mean two players, have proven experience would would make the biggest difference. In the world and and, And you know I've talked To. KURT and jason i think we're all on the same page as as to what we need in, order to, be you know. A real, contender because again it's really hard to get all. The Phases right and i'm saying we have on both sides. OF the ball i would, say we, have you know five of the. Six phases unlocked well we're up there with the top. Of the league but the one that sticks out the most is, that final third and, like you said two hundred and something minutes. Without a, goal you know that's that's where the pressure just keeps mountain. On the defense it keeps mounting on the guys trying to score goals because they're just not coming in and offensively try to do. More than defensively you can only withstand so much pressure before you know you're playing from a place if we can't, get one up because, if we do how are we going? To SCORE goals and i just think those two top players would alleviate all that for us and would put us in.
Speaker 1: The right, direction all right we can move.
Speaker 2: Off of it the, sun Is, shining it's tuesday it's, a nice day so let's move. Off OF it but i do HAVE one more i don't know if it's, an uncomfortable question But you took diego off in the fifty eighth, minute pre planned sending A message something.
Speaker 1: I'm not seeing? What was it what went? Into, that decision, NO you know.
Speaker 11: I think after, REVIEWING the game i probably should have. Left them, on you know he was he was Leggy on the, wednesday at home and probably left him on for twenty. Minutes too, LONG but again i think, this for me it's just it's just it's a it's a tough. Situation, As WELL right so i probably left him on twenty minutes too Long in, the Portland game but i'm, thinking to myself, we're at home we. Need to win who's going to? Score? The goals RIGHT so then i left Him on. The colorado game he was he was leggy from the start and came at the, halftime, HE says COACH i got i got MORE tank and, i was, like all right well let's let's. See it now and, to be FAIR when when i decided in, the sixtieth minute he wasn't really involved in the play except right before. He came out and AT that moment i should have pulled the sub, back, And said no diego is going, to win, this you know win this. Game for us and so that's probably, the you know, that's on me. But it was but it's, also you know three games in a row where he's put. In max, effort you know the amount of running he does is. Through the roof we're playing down A, Man IN dallas so i was half cognizant of not running them. Through the, ringer you know he wasn't really involved, in THE game and, I, was like okay, maybe this, is you know an opportunity for. Some FRESH legs but i THINK in hindsight i should have kept them on and maybe run him. Through the ringer but then my biggest fear is if you lose A, guy like luna then then then it's. Catastrophic as well so it's it's it's all those different variables that, went into it, but after review you should have left them.
Speaker 9: IN the game i like that.
Speaker 2: Transparency and honesty but speaking of the potential of losing A, GUY like luna i Was, not in colorado which is probably.
Speaker 1: Why you lost but we've.
Speaker 2: Been OVER that so i Was watching the apple broadcast when something really, caught my ear namely the broadcaster, Saying that you pablo told them that you'd Be Surprised if diego luna is still with the club After the summer. European transfer window is that something that, you told them, and if so can you elaborate?
Speaker 6: On?
Speaker 11: That, PLEASE yeah no i think that was complete.
Speaker 8: Out, of, context Okay okay yeahs luna is a guy that is near and dear, to my heart only because the transformation that he's had since, he's been here and.
Speaker 11: And obviously that's That's all on luna because he the work that. He's put, in and, uh you know we Were talking, about LUNA'S trajectory and, i was saying when, he got here he didn't want to didn't, want to defend didn't want to, help the team could could, care less, about you know just the only thing he really wanted was get. On THE ball and i was talking about how the national team is speaking about him and how they say he's a guy that plays. With stones right he steps on the field and he has a presence so even when maybe the attacking, stuff isn't working that he still contributes massively to the team and the spirit. Of the team AND so then i said it was it was in context to how how fast he's got he's gone from the player he was to the. Player he IS and, so i said along, THAT same trajectory i wouldn't be surprised if he's not here at the end, of the summer because someone's going to come in and pay twenty five million dollars or ever it is to take, him somewhere. Else YOU know but i THINK and and i think the big the biggest thing with that is too, is you know with with, the ownership CHANGE there is uh and it's just been mentioned, to me recently which is really exciting is ownership doesn't want to sell. Players moving forward they want to build a team that the community can, get, to know support have, their favorite players and build and build, something that's. Long long term and so that was. News, TO me obviously i never Want. TO lose luna i think that he's he's a player that, can you know A Lot like hobby morales back, in the day where he's. A game changer he's a he's he's a guy that, starts the attack. Finishes the attacks he's he's one of the most likable people you will ever meet in your life and someone that you always want. To, root for so at least, from my, perspective you know If if if luna stays here, at the club it would BE it'd be i think the best thing for, ourselves moving forward because he is a he is a PLAYER that is i wouldn't, say is irreplaceable but you'd have to you'd have to open up the bank to get a player that it is committed and has the type of investment that. That he has as an attacking player on both sides. Of the ball, that that is that, is just, starting you know to make the leap from young player. Too now superstar SO that that i think so that was that was taken. Out of Context it was it wasn't me Wanting. TO move lunan i was just speaking towards his trajectory and how. Fast IT'S been and i wouldn't be surprised given how how far he's coming a year, and a half two years to where he. Could potentially go but hopefully it's here at ourselves for.
Speaker 2: The LONG term so i think it's safe To Say that Gail Miller and steve starks listen to the Show because that's i've just been begging. For, This, Forever, pablo hey, porter real quick will you go ahead and formulate a Press release that pablo on the Show Has indicated diego luna is going TO be an rsl.
Speaker 1: Man for life can you?
Speaker 6: Get?
Speaker 1: That done, yeah. Thank, you sir okay.
Speaker 2: THAT kid buck i know the bottom line of what the club is, trying to do, But that news pablo is something that is also.
Speaker 1: News to me that had to be music. To, your ears yes, TO be fair, i.
Speaker 11: MEAN again and i think this is like a big part of like the unknowns that have been. Kind of happening the underpinnings is obviously the move of the, transfer of ownership and obviously there's different philosophies. Of different groups AND working With Gfh and david blitzer. Has been amazing it's opened my eyes with different ways. Of doing things they care, about the club they look at it from, a different PERSPECTIVE and so I think the miller's, being you know Family here in utah for so many years and love their sports and want to build something that the fans can hang. Their hat on is just think about it from. A coaching, perspective you know we put a lot, of you know time and energy into a guy Like on grayce gomez, where you know he came in wasn't proven and it took about a year for him to get up to speed and then he just took off. Like A rocket, and i, thought you know it just feels like you're almost like, a you know you're you're raising these you're helping develop, these young players and then they leave at the time where you think they can, make huge impacts not only. At the club from. A plane perspective but in the community and and and, and you know Like guys like beckerman that we're at the club. A long time i mean Fans, you say beckerman and everyone knows who, you're talking about and it's like it. Just feels good and from, a coaching perspective it's great, to see, that you know some of the the, time and energy and it's. NOT all soccer a lot of it's about life and and how to be a good pro and how to look after yourself and how to how, to you know how to carry a, little, bit more, uh you know responsibility and all these little things that you go and see these guys and and, and You know and beckerman still lives here and so now he's given back. To the COMMUNITY so it's i think it's a gift that. Keeps on giving but from our standpoint as coaches is it makes the work more meaningful when you know that there's a that they could potentially be, here long term and it just you can.
Speaker 6: Go all in it's not like a.
Speaker 11: Short term thing you can go all in and make the necessary decisions to help them, more LONGER term which i think is even. Better for him so music TO my ears i think that's why, we do it is to build, something that sustainable build a team that can be a perennial playoff team that competes with. Trophies every year and the only way you do. That is, continuity and, so You know helping luna, in his journey, but more importantly having the ability to keep them around is, truly you know music, to my ears, as you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure and look you nailed it. At the end it's also the only, way. To win dude. It just is it's the only.
Speaker 2: Way to, win like otherwise we're, spinning our wheels the. Fans are upset there's nobody that's your long term and it does a. Disservice to you so we'll end on one more Positive note that i'll set you. LOOSE after this i think he got something in. THIS gozo kid i don't know, much about him but you've been giving them times and starts over the. Past little, bit and, look he's, young he's raw but you can see, there's something.
Speaker 11: There isn't there i'll, tell you what and it's, a little. BIT you know i don't want to go crazy with the, with THE comparisons because i think they're all very unique.
Speaker 9: But raw.
Speaker 6: Talent he has.
Speaker 11: The one thing That's, true with andrea's That's True, with diego luna And true with gozo is that, they're, All learners right so the young players with a, lot of talent but they're also aware that they, don't know everything and so what they do is they, go you know you give. THEM you know i Was working with gozo today on, is crossing right because THAT'S an area i think he, can make games and just gave him a just a way to think about how he, crosses the ball and he started delivering. Really good balls and, so it's like this, is for me the beauty of coaching is like, sharing your experience, but more important you have to have a willing. Participant receiving it if, they know everything then there's no there's no need, for, A coach RIGHT and so i think those are the similarities between the. Three OF them and I think what gozo has is really, high end speed really high end, work rate defensively and what he's doing every day after practice is sharpening his tools in front, of the, goal, so, shooting crossing, passing you know all. These little things and so there is No doubt that gozo is going to be a top player. In this, league and again is it two, years from now is, it next year is it four? Years FROM now is. I don't know but he has all the footballing characteristics that can make him a, top, pro physical physical, and, You know technical, but more importantly he's got the character of A guy that i believe will be a learner and. He'll get it he will, figure it out and he will understand what his role is and what his craft is and. Putting all together in the short term the way he's helping our group because he just brings so much enthusiasm and energy at a time where our team really. Really needs it so he's been special, for US now but i really believe he'll be a special player for this club.
Speaker 9: In, The future well.
Speaker 2: POB'S my guy i feel like, today with therapy we, exercised some demons we talked, through some issues and then we ended, in the nest in.
Speaker 1: The, safe place.
Speaker 11: Right let's go. IT'S all good. I appreciate you i'll send you the check for. The therapy.
Speaker 2: Session Love It the pablo mationnroy Head Coach over al salake rsl welcomes in the Best Team In Major league soccer vancouver coming up seven Point. Thirty on saturday if you missed that interview AND you're, an rsl fan the big titbit Is that recently pablo was told that the, new ownership group which of course Led by, the miller family not interested in selling any of these. Young talented players does that mean it. Will, never happen no but it's the only way to win continuity.
Speaker 1: Build. A roster man that.
Speaker 2: Is good news if, you missed it check out the website in. A few, minutes all right fory catch a break five o'clock out.
Speaker 1: Of the Drive.
Speaker 2: Welcomes In Corey from courtland Roof. On a, tuesday, corey appitudes man.
Speaker 1: How you doing? I'm doing great how?
Speaker 2: Are you Hey Bottom line spring special save thousands of dollars on a.
Speaker 1: Roof replacement period.
Speaker 2: Here's the number it's eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five. Five, Six zero corey what Exactly is the spring special for? Our, listeners today.
Speaker 5: Yeah we've got a killer offer. For your listeners there's. A it's twofold, first of all if you need, new rank gutters if you if we read if we uh put on, a new roof we'll install all brand new five inch. Seamless rain gutters if you don't need, new ring gutters then we offer fifteen hundred dollars off. A replacement roof so this is incredible offer to save thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: To your listeners massive savings and corey for anybody that is concerned potentially about. The budgetary hit, beyond the savings you have. Financing, options available yes.
Speaker 1: We have lots of.
Speaker 5: Financing options available give, us a call. We'll come out we'll assess your situation and find something that will work for you and allow you to afford a brand new roof and.
Speaker 2: Brand new roofs in most housing projects sometimes, include insurance companies which can be. A little complex but, you're a veteran you've done this and you know how to kind of. Traverse, that space yeah.
Speaker 5: So set about seventy to eighty percent of the, roofs we do the insurance, company is involved so we can really help the homeowner navigate through that whole process because it can. Sometimes be overwhelming but the first thing we need to do is come out and inspect the roof and see if it could even qualify. For insurance coverage so give, us a call.
Speaker 2: Bottom, line call today save a. Bunch of money good. Financing options available they. Offer lifetime warranties it's Our Friends at cortland roofing and the number is eight oh one six one five five five six.
Speaker 1: Zero h right the. Playoffs are back.
Speaker 2: Playoffs, are back tonight both in the world of professional hockey and the world. Of professional basketball We're gonna Have Carolida and florida game ONE here on espn SEVEN hundred For okc and minnesota that can Be heard On i'm the. Fan tomorrow night it Will be the Knicks, and the celtics so stay. Tuned for that and on the hockey, side of things it Will be the Oilers. And the stars so the final four in both hockey AND in the. Nba IS set can i get something off my chest before we? Say good, Night of course i'm all for like off. Season football conversation folks love football or the Home. Of the utes do college football as much as. We possibly can i'm not one just to piss topics on air. THAT aren't applicable i am so over the debate about whether or not the tush push should be, allowed.
Speaker 1: Every, break, every day.
Speaker 2: Man every day there's another update about This topic that i'm just. Completely tired of.
Speaker 3: Maybe, to your liking that debate will be over tomorrow when the voter's the owners vote, to ban it which.
Speaker 1: Is just silly. It's a play it's.
Speaker 3: A quarterback sneak it's a quarterback sneak done by a quarterback that squats five hundred pounds and a running back that you know it does, more than that and an offensive line that is maybe the best. In the league but it's. A quarterback sneak if you want, to talk, about you know assisting the runner and kurtelling those rules, a, little bit okay but we're changing the rules around. A quarterback sneak that is something that is being voted on by a bunch of owners, around the league and it's going to. BE approved tomorrow, i want, to you know just preface that very little chance that it isn't and it's because a bunch of teams Can't stop the eagles. From doing it, and to me that's. It's pretty Dumb i'm. A cowboys fan I, HATE the eagles, i you Know Even though britain covey's. ON that roster i struggle cheering for them To Win.
Speaker 1: A super.
Speaker 3: Bowl it's ridiculous if if you, can't stop it draft That kid from florida and try. To stop it I'm kind of i'm. Kind of bugged and the fact that we continue to change sports to make them LIKE better for tv and easier on the eyes, Is uh yeah i'm not really on.
Speaker 1: Board with it, it's pretty WILD how uh i?
Speaker 2: Mean to me what this is is a testament THAT'S how popular nfl football is that every single day we're getting an update. On The tushbush, to porter's point if you, don't like, it stop it and you don't change the rules because you can't stop the play that's been legal for decades and.
Speaker 1: Decades and decades.
Speaker 2: It's, just ridiculous also today it WAS unanimous that nfl players are okay to play flag football in the Twenty. TWENTY eighth olympics i, continue to ask who are. We playing against football is really Only played in America and maybe canada.
Speaker 1: A little bit there's, a, little kicking.
Speaker 3: Yeah there's a There's a few australian players that have made IT. In, The Nfl Obviously mitch wi. SHNOWSKI a punter i believe The forty nine ers had a punt returner Who was. Of australian descent So, the the aussies, they're gonna, have you know, some. Special teams guys you know there, are a couple like like euro teams that. STILL have organizations i don't know who, they really, play but yeah. We'll, SEE it uh.
Speaker 1: I don't know i just this whole thing has. Caught me up we.
Speaker 2: Should play ourselves they should have like multiple flag football teams Comprised OF only american nfl players because it is literally a sport that Has. Played in america it is a game that you throw a football, with your hands but there's. A little kicking there's, a little.
Speaker 3: Kicking even though it's. Still called football we're getting rid of. All the kicking how many?
Speaker 1: Points is? It sometimes?
Speaker 11: One?
Speaker 1: Sometimes three right you SAW the? The, snl, skit.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah excellent stuff those skits.
Speaker 3: Are really funny they've DONE one on nfl But also Like america. And english language. It's good stuff who you Leaning Towards? T?
Speaker 2: Wolves OKASE i honestly I think okay see is the, Lean for sure but there's something About the way minnesota has. A little, something i mean they've got several dudes they Can. Throw at shay rudy's going to neutralize a lot of. Their interior drives they love to. ATTACK the, bucket I mean if i was putting, money On it, Which i'm not i'd probably put it On, An OKAY see but i would Not.
Speaker 1: Look Past minnesota.
Speaker 3: Okay see is the Better roster okay see, is you know over the, next five years the team that we're going to, be Talking. About NOT minnesota but i might be Leaning towards the timberwolves. Just right now, they've been there they know what a conference. Finals looks like they have a bunch of players who have decades long careers building. Towards This Moment while oka see. Is MORE talented while i believe that you know almost every box of WHICH which way i lean Goes, TOWARDS ok see i kind of have a Feeling That the minnesota timberwolves pull, this one out and they do so behind the veteran leadership that.
Speaker 6: They do have.
Speaker 3: There is one there is ONE thing that i am looking for, In, the series spence The Narrative of rudy gobert being like tough to play in the playoffs or sometimes played off the floor in the playoffs is. Mostly completely unwarranted but, in this series, in this matchup there are some guys that that that okay se can throw at him to, space the Floor to put rudy in the situations that we Saw where the jazz, were asking, him you know not. Out Of position the jazz were asking him to guard two players at a time, in the corner in the short corner and still continue to to to. Guard the post that's, something that okay see can maybe go back and look at and uh try to emulate. A little bit i'm curious to see how.
Speaker 2: That, plays out yeah It, will be uh it will be really really interesting to see how this. SERIES plays out i will admit It's not Quite Shaq. And kobe beef i'd Like to see rudy, get a trophy yeah before Our, guy don okay that's, KIND of like i know that narrative got.
Speaker 1: A little tired which team?
Speaker 2: Are, you on yeah but no knowing what happened behind the scenes and All the guff rudy took and really what Was happening was donovan and his powerful agency. Making, POWER plays Yeah i just i'm kind Of cheering For rudy and mike like And Of course joey Ingles.
Speaker 1: Too love conley i'd love To see go bert.
Speaker 3: Get a trophy i'm Not, over the nicks not over the, next of course be More. PARTIAL to conley i think he is one of the real good GUYS, in the Nba not. The rudi's Not he's a he's. A nice dude, BUT you know I Look at mike conley as one of the nicer fellas that we've worked WITH in. The nba circles, that being said if you do make It like a, Rudy don thing i'm with, you on that it would be cool to, see him win and Not Just the, rudy dahn thing But just the rudy versus the. World, type thing right whether we talk about the go back, to the combine go back to his time. As a prospect there's Just something, about rudy where even though there's parts OF him that, i loved, HATE you know i think that he can lean into. THE sensitivity stuff i think the, crystals, ARE silly right. I have that i have that argument with my. Aunt every week it's it's something that that is. Is very rooty it's part, of his, IDENTITY and man i think that it would be it would be pretty cool to see.
Speaker 2: That guy WIN last thing a recommendation before we say good, Night last night no playoff basketball got all cut UP. On hacks hbo WHAT else did i? Catch up, on CAN'T remember but i did sit. Down and watch we Had Our Guy caylin jones on Who's Now with netflix pubby in His. New documentary Untold It's. Called shooting guards it's about The Situation with Gilbert Arenas. And javars critenen and one of The things that i'm told Does Really well manti tale story among others, that They've done the brett farv may drop tonight actually Doing one On. Brett favre is the story gets reported and then you believe initially, what you hear and then it goes away and then you kind of. Forget about it you will be floored about what Actually Happened between Javaris Crittin. And GILBERT arenas and i came away feeling So Gutted. For javar's crittin and now let, Me Be clear javar's crittinen was committed of murder far, after the fact and spend a, decade in jail and unfortunately a young lady lost her life. With multiple kids of course, not condoning that but the way this was portrayed and, what actually happened it is worth your time to. CHECK this out i think you'll come away with a lot Of Sympathy for, javar's critten.
Speaker 3: Well and as you kind, of alluded to that later situation didn't happen in a vacuum away from What Happened to javaris critten. In his career all, of the above it's. AN interesting look i still got. To finish, It, but yeah kaylin cool to see him make moves regardless of. Where it is he's always, covering something. Cool something, Interesting and yeah i'm looking forward to the, farv one too because that's been that's been one of the more kind of polarizing but interesting stories in the retired sports world. In recent, Memory so yeah i'll Finish, the Shooting guards which kaylin got the uh got the assignment for. Naming that one, hit it out hit the nail, on the head.
Speaker 1: He sure did.
Speaker 2: He, Sure did indeed. Rest In peace George, wentz better norm Better known As.
Speaker 1: Norm from cheers he.
Speaker 2: Passed, away today okay unfortunately that you're way too Young. TO remember, CHEERS i, know i, know you know you know some Some quotes. That i've heard my, family love, Cheers but yeah cheers to me is the, bar, downtown indeed indeed but it was a great television show a number, Of Years, Ago Ted, danson kirsty ally, look, It up kids it was phenomenal back. In the, Day all right time For playoff HOCKEY here on, espn Seven hundred It's. Carolina and florida, for playoff basketball check out the fan porter what comes our Way on a wednesday edition.
Speaker 3: Of the program, as you MENTIONED we'll have nhl playoffs here on the, STATION here momentarily nba playoffs over on the fan if You're Looking For Western conference finals game one on. The Show tomorrow josh furlong for some latest on. The utes offseason haven't Caught up with josh in. Quite A minute spencer linton on.
Speaker 1: The latest on the.
Speaker 3: By you side we'll Do a Little red and Blue, on a wednesday ninety four days away, from college, football of course as we do Each, AND Every Wednesday nba, daily assist time This one with dave mcminnimon And. Away from Utah, On this Wednesday chris com ronnie will join us.
Speaker 1: Via the phone we don't get him in studio. This week, unfortunately all right well that'll Be a.
Speaker 2: Fun wednesday show we'll say good night special thank You Today, To lee, Alis Tim McMahon Richard smith And PABLO masteron. Runny rsl fans if you, MISS that interview i would highly encourage you to, go find it but you can find everything, on the WEBSITE which is espn seven hundred. Sports dot com download, our mobile app take us. ON the go espn app is Available In the app Store in The. Google play store then for what we do in our space for four, hours every afternoon check out. Our podcast page and if you like, what we do we would. Appreciate your support how you can do that is give us a subscription, or follow along say nice things, in the comments and then give us all the, stars they allow thumbs up or. Whatever it is you will be eternally. Blessed for porter i'm SPEND saying to I enjoy. Your tuesday evening playoff hockey comes away coming up on. The other side talk to you tomorrow RIGHT here on espn seven hundred NINETY Two and ffm we are proud to be PART of utah's, espn radio network