Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeart.
Speaker 2: Radio app, KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, November seventh. I'm Amy King. We're everywhere on the iHeart Radio app, and whether you're listening on the iHeartRadio app or on KFI AM six forty, we're so happy to have you along. Another busy day, another blustery day. You know where I live. I didn't get to the really strong wins yesterday afternoon. I got them over the weekend, but man, they're blowing hard and we got more coming today. We've got more updates on election results as they kind of trickle in. Of course, they're still counting ballots. What's ahead as the country gets ready for a new president, how the markets are reacting. We're going to cover all of that, but here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. A fast moving brush fire in Ventura County has prompted evacuations and burned several homes as many as fifty the fire fueled by strong Santa Ana wins, started yesterday off the one to eighteen in More Park quickly grew to more than fourteen thousand acres. Several people have been injured and were taken to the hospitals. Santa Ana wins are expected to blow at least through this evening and in the Inland Empire until tomorrow morning. Backers of La Counties Measure A that would replace a one quarter cent sales tax with a permanent half cent sales tax to pay for homelessness programs, have declared victory. As of yesterday afternoon, Measure A was passing with almost fifty six percent of the vote. That's a marchin of about three hundred thousand votes. A million ballots are still left to be counted in La County. Minnesota Governor Tim Walls has thanked Vice President Harris for letting him be her running mate. After Harris's concession speech yesterday. Walls says that while the outcome is not what they wanted, he's grateful to the millions of Americans who stood up for their greatest ideals, decency, compassion, and love of their neighbor. So Harris did do her concession speech yesterday at her alma mater. Alma Mater? Did I say that right? I thought it was really good. So we're going to actually play parts of it for you in a minute. You know, I mean tough pill to swallow when you think you might be the next president and then find out it's not going to happen. So I think she did a nice job with that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A wind driven brush fire and Ventura County that has destroyed dozens of homes has burned more than fourteen thousand acres in less than twenty four hours. Ventura County Fire Captain Trevor Johnson says the fire started yesterday in Moore Park and burned into came Rio and Somas, where mandatory evacuations were ordered.
Speaker 4: Resources that arrived on seen and initially were faced with a tough firefight. Cruise immediately went into structure protection, property conservation, any type of suppression, and immediate life safety.
Speaker 1: The fire was pushed by the strong Santa Anna Wins authorities inventor account. He said several people were hurt and taken to area hospitals. Schools in the area are closed today and tomorrow. Some homeowners and camer rio did not leave when they were told to.
Speaker 5: Something told me they just wanted to wait until the last minute. Others said they didn't really have any place to go. But as I drove yesterday through the streets of this upscale neighborhood along Alta sagoona court, I saw people packing their cars and coordinating with each other.
Speaker 6: Are you evacuating?
Speaker 7: We have.
Speaker 3: I just came to pick up a few things. Do you have a place to go? Kill yet?
Speaker 6: My son's place, that's Ray.
Speaker 7: He says.
Speaker 5: In the forty years he's lived here, he's never seen anything like it. And like others I spoke with, Ray says, the fire came up so fast they had no time to initially pack anything in Camio.
Speaker 3: Steve Gregory King.
Speaker 1: If I knew ballots are still being to decide which party we'll control the US House. Republicans have two hundred six seats to the Democrat's one hundred and ninety one seats. So far, two hundred and eighteen are needed for the majority. More than three dozen races have yet to be called. Republicans have won control of the Senate. President elect Trumps spent the day after his election taking congratulatory phone calls from world leaders and also from President Biden, who invited Trump to a meeting in the Oval Office to prepare for the transition of power. A Trump spokesman says the President elect looks forward to the meeting. American Idol winner and Coachella Valley native Abby Carter love Her is lighting the forty five foot tree at this year's Palm Springs Aerial Tramway tree Lighting ceremony. The tree has over four thousand led lights. Carter will be joined by the Palm Springs High School Choir and String Quartet, which will be playing uh holiday music at the event. Last next month. Next month, still still early November, not quite tree lighting time yet. Yesterday, Vice President Harris gave her concession speech after losing the election. On Tuesday, she was at her alma mater at Howard University, and as I mentioned, I think this has got to be a really tough time, right, Like you see how excited some people are, how devastated other people are. And for her, you know that carrot is dangled and then it's taken away. So she did do her concession speech, and I think she did a really good job, so I wanted to play parts of it for you. First of all, she talks about how obviously this is not what they were hoping for.
Speaker 6: The outcome of this election is not what we wanted, not what we fought for, not what we voted for. But hear me when I say, hear me when I say, the light of America's promise will always burn bright as long as we never give up, and as long as we keep fighting. To my beloved Doug and our family, I love you so very much. To President Biden and Doctor Biden, thank you for your faith and support.
Speaker 8: To Governor Walls.
Speaker 6: And the Walls family. I know your service to our nation will continue, okay.
Speaker 1: And then she went on to talk a little bit about the campaign that she ran and how proud she is of it.
Speaker 6: Over the one hundred and seven days of this campaign, we have been intentional about building commune unity and building coalitions, bringing people together from every walk of life and background, united by love of country, with enthusiasm and joy in our fight for America's future. And we did it with the knowledge that we all have so much more in common than what separates us.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: I know folks are feeling and experiencing a range of emotions right now. I get it, But we must accept the results of this election. Earlier today, I spoke with President elect Trump and congratulated him on his victory. I also told him that we will help him and his team with their transition and that we will engage in a peaceful transfer of power.
Speaker 1: And then she went on to talk more about how that's going to play out.
Speaker 6: A fundamental principle of American democracy is that when we lose an election, we accept the results. That principle, as much as any other, distinguishes democracy from monarchy or tyranny, and anyone who seeks the public trust must honor it. At the same time, in our nation, we owe loyalty not to a president or a party, but to the Constitution of the United States, and loyalty to our conscience and to our God. My allegiance to all three is why I am.
Speaker 9: Here to say.
Speaker 6: While I concede this election, I do not concede the fight that fueled this campaign.
Speaker 1: Crowd like that one, and then she had a message for the kids.
Speaker 6: The important thing is, don't ever give up. Don't ever give up don't ever stop trying to make the world a better place.
Speaker 1: You have power.
Speaker 6: You have power, and don't you ever listen when anyone tells you something is impossible because it has never been done before. You have the capacity to do extraordinary good in the world.
Speaker 1: And then she closed with an old adage that she referred back to, and I thought she was going to say something about its darkest before the dawn. Feels like it might have been Star sort of a playoff of that. But I really liked what she had to say.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 6: Only when it is dark enough can you see the stars. I know many people feel like we are entering a dark time, but for the benefit of us all I hope that is not the case. But here's the thing, America, if it is, let us fill the sky with the light of a brilliant, brilliant billion of.
Speaker 9: Stars, the light.
Speaker 6: The light of optimism, of faith, of truth and service.
Speaker 3: Ain't you.
Speaker 6: And made that work guide us, even in the face of setbacks, toward the extraordinary promise of the United States of America.
Speaker 1: And there you have it. Got that again. I just think that was very well done. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A measure in Santa Anna to allow non US citizens to vote appears to have been voted down.
Speaker 2: Critics say the measure would have added about sixty thousand people to the city's voter roles.
Speaker 10: We did it not by vilifying illegals, but by elevating the right to vote as the crown jewel of citizenship.
Speaker 2: Lawyer activist James Lacey says they got a lot of support from naturalized citizens.
Speaker 10: I don't think that those naturalized citizens wanted to give up their precious right to vote or dilute it to give it over to illegals that don't take a test and that don't pledge an allegiance to the United States.
Speaker 2: Supporters say non citizens should be able to vote because they pay taxes and raise children in the city in Santa Ana. Corbin Carson kf I.
Speaker 1: News The dal rose fifteen hundred points yesterday, the day after election Day, as investors cheered former President Trump's return to the White House, ABC's Alexis Christopherosa's investors are betting Trump's policies will benefit them.
Speaker 9: He was always really seen as the more friendly candidate to corporate America.
Speaker 1: He wants to lower the corporate tax rate we know down to fifteen percent from its current twenty one percent. She says investors also welcome deregulation. The NASDAC and the SMP five hundred we're each up by more than two percent. Yesterday, Hurricane Rafael has made landfall in Cuba. As a Category three storm. Forecasters say Raphael could cause life threatening storm surges, winds, and flash floods in western parts of the island country. The storm previously knocked out power and dumped rain on the Cayman Island and Jamaica. Another hurricane hit Cuba just two weeks ago, killing at least six people in the eastern part of the island. The La County Board of Supervisors is given the ok to buy a skyscraper downtown.
Speaker 11: The Gas Company tower would be the new home for much of the county government. County CEO Fijia Davenport says the two hundred million dollar acquisition makes sense because the current building on Temple Street is too costly for a seismic retrofit.
Speaker 1: It makes sense from a safety perspective, from an efficiency perspective, from a budgetary perspective, and also from a service delivery perspective.
Speaker 11: Supervisor Janis Hahn was the only vote against the purchase plan. She argues the building name for her late supervisor father is an anchor of Downtown Civic Center in downtown La.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI News win gus up to sixty to seventy miles per hour still expected through the day is dangerous Santa Ana winds blow through the Southland. A red flag warning and high wind warnings will be in effect until this evening for most areas until tomorrow morning. In the Ie, the winds have helped fuel a more than fourteen thousand eight or fire burning in Moore Park and came Rio that has destroyed at least fifty homes. Progressive challenger Isabel Herrado appears likely to unsee District fourteen LA City Councilman Kevin da Leone. She's leading by fifty six to forty four percent margin as of yesterday afternoon. Arado says she decided to run on the eve of her thirty third birthday, when a tape was leaked of Dallyon and other city officials making racist remarks about another city council member's son. Governor Newsom says the state will work with President elect Trump, but added California will stand with states across the US to defend the Constitution and defend the rule of law. The Southern California Republican Congressman darryl Isa says Trump's decisive win was a clear mandate from voters to rebuild the economy, restore national defense, and enforce the border. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen, with the election of President elect Trump, Special Council Jack Smith has some work to do when it comes to Donald Trump. So what's happening.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is an open question, and we are in uncharted waters, unprecedented circumstance. We're talking about a man who's under indictment in two separate federal criminal matters, both of which are still two different degrees pending in the federal courts. And then there are two state court matters, the one in Georgia, the racketeering case there, and then there's the New York hush money case where Trump has already been convicted by a jury. All of it now complicated by the fact that Donald Trump has won the election and we'll be president of the United States on January twentieth, the next year. So right now, within the Biden Justice Department, there are high level conversations about how to wind down quickly the two federal cases against Trump. There's the federal election interference case here in Washington, d c. And then there's the classified documents case in Florida. It's not clear how this is going to proceed, but there is a recognition and acknowledgment within the Justice Department that it cannot proceed with the prosecutions while Donald Trump is president because of the long standing policy that state dates back to the Nixon era, that the Justice Department acknowledges the constitutional responsibilities of a president are so important that they can't be interfered with by a criminal prosecution. So what happens next not sure, but it seems as though Jack Smith is going to figure out some sort of way to get these two cases dismissed. The cleanest way to do it, and this is entirely my speculation, and no one else is suggesting this but me.
Speaker 3: Okay, but the easiest thing to.
Speaker 8: Do would be for Joe Biden to grant Donald Trump a pardon to prevent Trump from having to fire Jack Smith prevent Trump from having to parton himself.
Speaker 3: Now, will he do it? I don't know.
Speaker 8: Totally speculation and entirely theoretical, but it would be the cleanest way to wipe this late clean.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question about the pardon thing. Can President elect Trump pardoned himself when he gets back into office or is that that's still that uncharted territory. It's never happened, right.
Speaker 8: Well, it's it's listen, it's never happened before. But the understanding is that he probably could because there's no way to challenge a pardon. The part the pardon powers plenary in the Constitution, which means it's beyond any kind of question or challenge and so and entirely within the powers of the presidency. So uh, you know, but to prevent that breaking of a norm, again, theory and speculation entirely on my part, just to kind of game it out. Sure Biden could pardon Trump to prevent Trump from having to pardon himself.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting theory step. Im portanite the classified documents case just as a refresher. That was the one that it was thrown out, but then Jack Smith basically refiled it. He revised it.
Speaker 8: Well, no, no, no, So what we're talking about in the classified Documents case was a judge who said that jack Smith was improperly appointed because she subscribed to the constitutional view advanced by conservative legal theorists that had failed repeatedly several other attempts. But Judge Cannon signed on to it and dismissed the case the idea that Jack Smith was not confirmed by the Senate and so therefore he didn't have the power to bring an indictment. Well, there had been other special counselors who have brought indictments and they have never The challenge on that basis has never succeeded, and so the Justice Department was appealing her ruling to get that case back on track. And let me put it this way, if Trump had not won the election, I think it's very likely that the Eleventh Circuit would have overturned Judge Cannon's opinion and sent that case back to the district court. Whether it be in Judge Cannon's court room or not is another question. Because Smith seemed to be so aggrieved by Judge Cannon's repeated rulings against him that he was probably going to see about getting the case taken out of her courtroom. All that seems to be moot now though, And the question is, what is the actual mechanism for having these case is dismissed?
Speaker 3: It's not clear.
Speaker 1: Okay, wasn't there one though where he did. I'm getting them confused because there's so many. It wasn't there one where he did. Because of the immunity part that the Supreme Court said, yeah, he has an immunity for official dubates.
Speaker 8: That's in d C, where the Supreme Court has ruled that a president is entitled to the presumption of immunity for his official acts, if not absolute immunity, and that is still pending. Judge Tanya Chukin here in Washington, d C. Was set to decide whether certain aspects of the superseding indictment needed to be removed or not, and that itself would have been appealed, although after the Supreme Court necessary. So all of that, again is going to be moot because jack Smith has no choice but to let this all go. Whether he's going to do it in an emotion to dismiss and maybe I don't know. Is there such a thing as dismissing with prejudice? I don't know, and that's the idea that it couldn't be revised or revived. Suffice it to say, the legal casesgainst Trump, certainly at the federal level, are off the table because statutal limitations would run out if the cases are dismissed, and the only question then would be, again theoretically and only hypothetically, whether Joe Biden would pardon Trump or Trump my pardon himself. Long story short. His election means that Donald Trump will not be prosecuted by the federal.
Speaker 1: Government again in uncharted territory. Interesting stuff, all right. Thank you for helping us sort that out, Stephen. Like I said, there's so many to try to keep them straight, and my little brain is challenging. That's why we have you her. You got it all right, Thank you so much, Stephen. Okay, parts of La and Ventura Counties remain under a red flag warning for extreme fire damager because of the high winds. Gusts reaching sixty seventy, maybe even eighty miles per hour yesterday could continue through this evening. It's possible there could be some isolated gusts of up to one hundred miles per hour in the San Gabriels. The warning again in effect until tonight, and it extends through tomorrow morning for the ie. A judge in California has rejected an appeal by the man convicted of murdering rapper Nipsey Hustle. This comes nearly two years after Eric Holder Junior went to a trial for the killing. The decision means he'll stay in prison to serve out his sixty year sentence. Attorneys for accused killer Brian Coburger will ask a judge in Boise, Idaho, to consider removing the death penalty as a punishment if he's convicted. Coburger is charged with killing four University of Idaho students in November of twenty twenty two. Prosecutors say Coburger's DNA was found on a knife sheath left at the crime scene, and they want the death penalty. The trial is set for August of next year. New warnings have been issued on the dangers of unapproved versions of certain weight loss and diabetes drugs.
Speaker 9: Drug maker Novo Nordisk alerting people after reports that ten people died and hundreds of others have been hospitalized after using copies of the brand names will Govi and Ozimpic.
Speaker 1: ABC's Michelle Fanzen says the company is the only approved maker of semi glue Tide. Last month, Novo Nordisk asked the FDA to ban the copycat versions, which have sored in popularity due to a shortage of the approved drugs in the US. A Mega Million's lottery ticket sold in California's Central Valley is not worth the jackpot, but it is worth more than one point two million dollars. The ticket was bought at a liquor store in wood Lake, near Visalia. It matched five numbers from Tuesday nights drawing the dangerous winds of fanned brush fires and prompted precautionary power shut offs in southern California, firefighters fought back flames that damaged at least two beachfront homes across the state from or across the street rather from Malibu Bluff's Park. They've stopped the forward progress of that fire at fifty acres. Up to fifty homes have been burned in the more than fourteen thousand acre fire burning in the moor Park and Camerio areas. The high winds are expected to continue in some areas through tomorrow morning. Vermont Senator Chernie Sanders has responded to what he called the Democratic Party's disastrous campaign. The independent senator who caucuses what Democrats said, in his words, should come as no great surprise that a Democratic party which has abandoned working class people would find that the working class has abandoned them. Several thousand volunteers will fan out across Hallowed Ground on Saturday to place many American flags on the nearly two hundred and twenty five thousand graves at Riverside National Cemetery Garden Grove based honoring our fallens. Brennan Leininger says the Veterans Day tribute is an honor that we should all take pride in. At six oh five at Handle on the News, Vice President Harris has conceded the election, but not the fight that fueled her campaign. At I point fifty, we're going to talk to a homeowner in Rancho Palace, Verdes as he and his neighbors see their homes shifting under their feet, their power and their gas cut off. We're going to find out what their options are and why many of them are not leaving. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Caleb's Silver Caleb. The market seemed to like hearing that Donald Trump is going to be the forty seventh president.
Speaker 12: Well, there's that, and there's also the quick resolution. We didn't have to wait days or weeks to find this out, and.
Speaker 3: On certain that night to night for investors.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, it was nice to get that right away. And remember what President Trump has promised throughout the campaign, which is to keep those tax cuts that he had acted in twenty seventeen, keep those in place, maybe even lower those some more.
Speaker 3: And that big deal there was.
Speaker 12: That that corporate tax rate went from thirty five percent to twenty one percent, and he intends to keep it there, even take it lower for some companies. You have that, you have the promise of a lot of government spending, whether that's for infrastructure, whether that's for deportation, whether that's for making sure products are made in America. That's bullish for the stock market. On the other hand, you have higher tariffs that he's promised to a twenty percent across the board tariff that's inflationary by nature, and that gets passed on to consumers. So the trade off I think he's making is we'll give you lower taxes, but we're going to charge higher tariffs and you may have to pay more for that. It's not going to help inflation necessarily, but it will be interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, hey, on that tax cut, Taylor, can he just do that? Does he have to get the support of Congress.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but it looks like he might very well have that support. And extending that that was going to expire in early twenty twenty five, the big question was if Harris was elected, would she have extended it or now that we know that she's not going to be elected, he definitely will extend it.
Speaker 3: How much more can he do and will he do?
Speaker 12: And the other big question, and it comes to a head today, is what will he do with the federal Reserve. He has been talking about bringing the Federal Reserve under the executive branch of government. It's independent right now. It's that's monetary policy based on what it thinks the economy needs. If the President and the White House in Congress controls that, well, we're in for a much lower interest rate regime, much like the one we've had over the past twenty years until the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: Lower interest rate's also very bullish for the stock market.
Speaker 12: That's why you're seeing that sector explode, but also more deregulation, get the government out of big business. We've had a very great of Federal Trade Commission that's been a big thorn in the side of big tech.
Speaker 3: In the banking sector, he's promised to deregulate.
Speaker 12: That's why you're seeing risk assets, financial stocks, bitcoin, everything rising and.
Speaker 1: Most We were up fifteen hundred points yesterday, but not everybody was a winner yesterday. There was a few that took a pretty hefty hit one there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there were some stocks that didn't do well at all, especially the solar stocks. All the stocks that benefited because of the Inflation Reduction Act, which was really a climate bill under any other name. Those stocks did terribly yesterday. And we saw some chip stock sell off as well. He's been talking about pulling the US out of the Chips Act. That's a global pack with chip makers around the world for fair tip pricing, semiconductor pricing. We know our economy needs that. Some of those stocks didn't do that great, but in general, you saw this bullish wave, this green wave, overtake the stock market when we had that quick resolution and the fact that we're probably going to continue to see lower tax rates, lots of government spending, and a lot of incentives for companies to do business in America.
Speaker 3: A lot of that very bullish for companies of all sizes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what are we expecting another surge today or was that like a one time Oh yeah, this is great and then it just kind of levels off or do we know?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 12: I think a lot of investors were heading their bets going into the election because it was a toss up or it looked like one.
Speaker 3: And if you looked at the polls, we see stocks going to.
Speaker 12: Rise, probably their rising and pre market trading right now, we're not going to have a day like yesterday we do a bad decision that to today, we kind of know what's going to happen. The Fed's going to cut right to quarter point. The big question is what happens December eighteenth at the next meeting, because we'll be well into the transition by then, and we know that Trump wants to control what the Federal Reserve does going forward. So today's meeting is going to be super interesting. I wouldn't expect a lot of answers from Charge your Own Power, but I would expect a lot of questions Okay.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you another question about the FED in just a second. Have we going back to the Wall Street thing? Has there ever been a day where the stock where we were up fifteen hundred points in a single day.
Speaker 12: That was the best election day rally in the history of the stock market by any measure. And if you looked at the S and P five hundred, it was its best election day ever. But the now it's best day in a couple of years. But that was a huge surge, and I think a relief rally by a lot of investors that weren't sure what was going to happen. But what else happened during that big stock market surge? We had a big rise in the yield on the ten year treasury That is, you know, the most stable investment around the world. It is backed by the full faith and the credit of the United States government. Well, we're seeing a surge in that when interest rates should be coming down. Why is that Because we know there's going to be a lot of government spending. Government spending is going to push up the deficit right and make our bonds even riskier. There are some estimates from the Committee for Responsible Federal Budget that Trump's initiatives. If you unit who passes some of them will add seven to eight trillion dollars to the deficit over the next decade. Nobody wants to talk about the deficit, but it is the bogie man there because it controls the yield on ten year treasuries, which everything is based off of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so back to the Fed thing. Then interest rates were cut a half percent. The last time we're expecting a quarter percent? Is that today or tomorrow?
Speaker 3: That's today? We're at around two pm today and then a press conference.
Speaker 1: Okay, but Caleb, why then are mortgage rates going back up when the Fed's dropping the interest rates?
Speaker 3: Great call.
Speaker 12: The Fed sets short term interest rates, that is the rate at which banks loan to each other, But mortgage rates are really based on the yield on the tenure treasury. The tenure treasury is the you know, the tenyure bond that has been rising because more government spending is coming, and more government spending is going to make our bonds even riskier as our deficit gets even bigger and bigger. Now, if President Trump controls both houses and the Republicans control both houses, then the dead ceiling no longer becomes an issue. We just keep kicking the can down the road. But we got a lot of spending coming our way and that is not going to be great in terms of our bonds. That's what mortgage yields are based off. You talked about sectors at fell yesterday. The housing market sector fell because mortgage rate the thirty year tip back up into the high sixes, and that is going to keep people away from buying homes.
Speaker 1: Yes even though like, well, I bought my house at five and a half percent, and I ever't know everybody like went, oh, it's so high. I'm like, that was a good rate, But getting up that six and a half seven range and more, it just seems like it's a lot of money and why not.
Speaker 3: Hold a lot of money?
Speaker 12: And we know home prices are super high right now, so home affordability is still at an all time low.
Speaker 3: I don't think that changes anytime soon.
Speaker 1: All Right, Caleb Silver, thank you so much for the information. You help. All of this money stuff makes sense to my brain. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Yeah, it's also convoluted, and there's so much going on and stuff. I'd love that we have the opportunity to talk to people like Caleb to help kind of just tear it apart and piece by piece and make sense of it. So, anyway, back to some of the stories coming out out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom, Orange County appears to have selected a new supervisor to replace Andrew Doe, who pleaded guilty to federal bribery charges.
Speaker 2: Go it was turned out anyway and couldn't run for re election. Republican state Senator Janet Winners to have defeated Cypress Councilwoman Francis Marquez Winn says it's a new day for OC.
Speaker 13: All the contractors with the county, whether they're businesses or nonprofits, we need to audit and we need to clean house those who have had a contract with the county. If you haven't done the job you're supposed to, we're going to ask for the money back.
Speaker 2: Those bribery plea was tied to a county contract with a nonprofit that was supposed to be feeding seniors during the pandemic in Orange County. Corbin Carson kaf I News.
Speaker 1: La Counties Measure G is still too close to call. G would overhaul county government in part by expanding the Board of Supervisors and making the County CEO an elected position instead of an appointed position. It was split as of yesterday afternoon, with about fifteen thousand votes separating the Yes from the nos. Two point three million votes have been counted in more than a million ballots still need to be counted. Rewards have been renewed for information leading to the arrest of whomever vandalized two cemeteries in Compton and Carson. The La County Board of supervi Visors made the movee yesterday. Twenty thousand dollars is now being offered for information about the vandalism at Woodlawn Celestial Gardens and twenty five thousand for information tied to Lincoln Memorial Park. Both were hit in January. The San Fernando Valley could get more of its share of street sweeping.
Speaker 11: A map of Lly's street sweeping schedule shows the valley getting the short end of the stick. City Councilman Monica Rodriguez says taxpayers and that part of the city are deserving of more attention.
Speaker 1: This is about making sure that we are writing what has been a historic wrong and failure, and to look at how we are distributing these resources.
Speaker 11: The council approved a comprehensive review of street sweeping in the city and how to allocate more attention to the valley. The plan would include updated signage, since many signs warn't drivers of street sweeping times that never materialize. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: An annual Veterans Day weekend Catfish Derby, has come into Riverside County Officials made the announcement yesterday, saying more than four thousand pounds of catfish are being stocked at Lake Kowea Veterans Regional Park. The event starts this Saturday afternoon at four Prizes will be awarded for the biggest fish. Republican incumbent Michelle Steele has one re election to the forty fifth Congressional district in Orange and Elle County. This will be Steele's third term. The Secretary of State's office declared that Steel beat Democratic Attorney Derek Tran by four percentage points the race's pivotal As control of the US House remains in the balance, several races are still yet to be called. Hurricane Raphael is plowed across western Cuba as a category three storm. Winds were so powerful the storm knocked out the power grid to the entire country, flooded streets, and knocked over trees. The storm has pushed into the Gulf of Mexico and is headed north toward Florida, with heavy rains and a storm surge of up to three feet expected in some areas. A palm sized satellite made out of wood has been launched into space. The satellite, built by Japanese researchers, is being flown to the International Space Station and later it'll be released into orbit and then they'll watch and see how wood holds up in space. It's an early test of using timber in Mars and lunar exploration, and if it's successful, could open the door to other uses for wood in space. Kind of interesting. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Bernie Sanders had a few choice things to say about Vice President Harris's loss, and as usual, he's not mince in words. Let's say good morning now to Bill Lockwood, who's a homeowner in the Rancho Palace Verdes area. Good morning, Bill, Thanks for joining us this.
Speaker 3: Morning, Good morning, hemy.
Speaker 1: So the land has been sliding. Hundreds of residents have had their gas and electricity cut off because the utility say it's too dangerous to provide the service with the land shifting underneath. We wanted to talk to somebody who is actually living through this. So, Bill, you and your wife own a home designed by Lloyd Wright. By the way, it's in the heart of this lane and slide disaster. So where is your home and how has it been affected by the sliding land?
Speaker 7: If people know where Wayfarer's Chapel was, our home is about one hundred yards west of that. Uh So, we're pretty close to the ocean, right above the Abalony Cove State Beach. Okay, and Portuguese Bend is on the south side of the Palace for His Peninsula, looking over the channel towards Katalina Island.
Speaker 1: Okay, So have did you have your power cut off? Or is that was that just in the Portuguese Bend area?
Speaker 7: No, we're in the Portuguese Bend.
Speaker 1: There are in that area, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes we had that. We had that that wonderful notice sent to us as well, and.
Speaker 1: You only got like a couple of days when they said, oh, by the way, we're shutting power off, and how did you how did you handle that? Did you bring another form of power? Are you just living off the grid right now?
Speaker 7: Presently we're off the grid. They sent us the notice at one o'clock on a Saturday afternoon saying that come nine o'clock next Monday morning, power was going to be shut off permanently. So we were actually at a festival concert when we got the notice, left to go by generators and kind of set ourselves up for what was coming. So not only was there not much notice there, there wasn't much time for people to prepare to do much of anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now your house is running off of gas power generators, is that correct?
Speaker 7: We had that for a while and in the interim we've had solar installed, okay, and so yeah, so we have two of the Tesla Powerwall three batteries up and running there and it's been a game changer for us. That's the same thing that a lot of the people back in the Portuguese Bend area and the Seaside area have done. Because there is no you have no alternative. You either have to have a generator or you have to have a gas generator, you know, or a solar some type of generation, and that's a.
Speaker 1: Pretty hefty investment. I'm not going to ask you how much you had to spend, but that's I mean, that's not just pocket change.
Speaker 7: No, it certainly isn't. Ye. It's although hopefully they'll be able to mitigate this slide at some point in time and we'll be able to recoup our investment, you know, just from an investment point of view, in addition to having the property values kind of stabilize and go back to where they were before this occurred.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Bill, is your home? I know you are affected, but has your home shifted? Is there damage to your home?
Speaker 7: Thankfully, to ours? Not much, but on our land all surrounding the home, Yes, there's been. Our driveway is about five feet closer to the beach than it was. So yeah, so no, But we're lucky because the beautiful Lloyd Wright design was saved in seventy nine by a couple by Ralph Jester, who was the original home owner and an engineer friend of his when they had what's called the Avaloni Coast slide, and so they did some engineering stuff that saved it. Then and continues to save it now, kind.
Speaker 1: Of like earthquake proofing your home but for a landslide instead.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, earthquake proofing with thumbscrew jacks and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Bill, there is an offer on the table, apparently from the city, saying that forty two million dollars is being made available to residents who want to sell their property, and the city is saying it will offer fair market value for homes. But if you divvy up that forty two million, that's not very much for each resident if everyone took advantage of it.
Speaker 7: No, if it went out to everybody, with all the homes affected, it would come out to about two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars per residence, and most of them are close to a million or well above that, So it doesn't cover much in that respect. But for the people that like one of our friends, his house was split down the middle. It's now divided by about five feet with a twenty five foot crevass running through the middle of it, so that the house is a complete and total loss. So for people like that, it provides a bit of a lifeline where they probably wouldn't have much that being said, when you read the fine print in this. Thankfully, they are valuing the home as of right before the slide December twenty twenty two, So they're taking that value and that's what you would get, but the homeowner has to contribute twenty five percent. So that means you take twenty five percent off the top of that appraised value at that point in time, and then that's the money that you would get. So it's not you know, it's not quite apples to apples. You're not getting one hundred percent. You're getting seventy five percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Bill, are you? Are you and your neighbors taking a deal? Are you going to stay where you are?
Speaker 7: I think that. I mean some people are going to have to.
Speaker 1: But like the house split into yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but we are not for people that live there. You live there for a reason. It's an equestrian area, a lot of people have chickens, it's extremely rural, it's right next to the ocean, it's it's beautiful, pepper trees lining the streets.
Speaker 3: It's unique.
Speaker 7: And so for those of us that live there, we don't want to live anywhere else. We've chosen to live there in the first place, and that's where we'd like to stay. So we're going to do exactly that.
Speaker 1: And if you do change your mind, what happens to the property if you sell it?
Speaker 7: I believe it or not. Properties are selling back there, but they're selling more to people who are it has to be like a cash buy. But it's people that want the opportunity to live off the grid because that doesn't occur, you know, in La County too many places, and certainly not right next to the water. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, looks like you're staying put for a while. Thank you so much. Bill. I'm just I'm very excited that we have to talk to somebody who's actually there in living it, and I think that, you know, we wish you the best of luck and I hope that solar continues to pump out a lot of energy for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Well, thank you, Amy, You've been very kind. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: All right, we appreciate you too. Thanks spill. This is YouTube. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call if you missed in a wake Up Call again. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app