Speaker 1: Miss Gene here with today's mini adventure. Do you like making things? Do you like getting your hands dirty? Well, if you said yes to both of those questions, then pottery might be a great hobby for you. This summer at Camp Hattie had a small pottery activity. The campers seemed to like it, and this has camp director Joyce Holt thinking about creating a pottery activity station. Let's join Misshold for a research and session in today's mini adventure called Centered.
Speaker 2: And where does the pedal go?
Speaker 3: Joyce? I have to spreadsheets? Oh is that? Uh? What is that?
Speaker 2: It's a pottery wheel.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I was going to say. But in your office pottery is messy though.
Speaker 4: Well we're about to find out. Uh, it's all right, mass Simon. I'm just test driving this pottery wheel. I want to see if it would be a good station activity for next summer camp.
Speaker 3: I see, well, I'll put the spreadsheet on your desk and be on my way.
Speaker 2: Oh, mister Simon, can you plug in the pedal?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Oh it works. Now let me try the pedal. It's spinning. Oh this is going to be so much.
Speaker 3: But Joyce, have you used a pottery wheel before?
Speaker 2: No, but it looks so graceful.
Speaker 3: Graceful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched some YouTube tutorials.
Speaker 3: I see well. Uh, I think I'll stay and watch how this goes camp director Joyce.
Speaker 5: Here's the bucket of water.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Natalia. Set it right here next to the wheel.
Speaker 5: Ooh, it's spinning. Now, sure is?
Speaker 3: Have you used a pottery wheel before?
Speaker 5: No, but I've always wanted to.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, first we take out the clay.
Speaker 5: Why is it wrapped in plastic?
Speaker 2: Well, clay drives when left uncovered. Now it's nice and malleable.
Speaker 5: Now map malleable.
Speaker 2: It's soft and can be shaped. Here fill it?
Speaker 5: Ooh, squishy.
Speaker 2: So now we put the clay on the wheel and wait, there's something else.
Speaker 3: Water, Otherwise the clay will stick.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, pour the water.
Speaker 3: Je still a little, or it'll spin and fly right off.
Speaker 2: Oh okay there now here goes.
Speaker 3: Ease your foot off the pedal. You're spinning awfully fast.
Speaker 2: Oh good idea. Now I put the clay on whoa, oh yeah, whoa. I just need to center the clay.
Speaker 3: Ease up on the foot pedal. There you go, nice and slow.
Speaker 2: Oh that's better, but the clay is wobbling.
Speaker 3: Put a little water on your hands in gentle pressure.
Speaker 5: It's not wobbling.
Speaker 4: Clay is centered now, Ah, now I can shape it.
Speaker 5: What are you gonna make?
Speaker 2: How about a vase?
Speaker 3: You sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I put a little water and then a little more speed and careful, and the clay broke apart.
Speaker 3: Start over a little water, recenter. There you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now press down in the center.
Speaker 3: Not too far. You don't want to break through the bottom break through.
Speaker 4: Oh you mean like that you made two vases.
Speaker 2: I made two lumps of clay.
Speaker 3: Try again, recenter.
Speaker 4: Okay, the clay isn't cooperating as easily.
Speaker 3: No, clay has a memory. It likes to go back to its previous.
Speaker 2: Shape, kind of like us.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do have a tendency to go back to our old ways, don't we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but some water and shaping. Ah, there we're centered again.
Speaker 3: Now, gentle, you are the potter. The clay yields to your hands.
Speaker 5: Can you teach me, miss Holt.
Speaker 4: I'd love to, Natalia, but I still have no idea what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Water, that's the most important tool of potter.
Speaker 2: Has Okay, water and gentle.
Speaker 3: Pressure, gentle, steady pushing.
Speaker 2: Down in the center.
Speaker 5: Oh I did it this time, it looks like a tiny bone. Now it does.
Speaker 4: Now to make a vase, I press and lift the clay upwards while the will spins.
Speaker 3: It's not as easy as it sounds.
Speaker 2: I saw the video and you do this and.
Speaker 5: Oh no, the clay broke.
Speaker 2: This is way harder than the videos made it look.
Speaker 3: Well, that's because the potters in those videos have years of experience. You're just starting, true.
Speaker 2: Alrie Center or mister Simon, can you show me?
Speaker 3: Oh, I.
Speaker 2: You know what to do. I can tell from your instructions.
Speaker 5: Are you potter, mister Simon, Well, no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: But my late wife loved pottery. She was very good at it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's sweet. And you use the will too once in a while.
Speaker 3: It's been a very long time.
Speaker 2: Well, the will's yours. Would you like to try? I yes, I think I would, mister Simon.
Speaker 3: Okay, not too fast. Water clay you're centered and a vase?
Speaker 5: Yes, please?
Speaker 3: Okay, pushing in the center. Now there's a shallow hole. Nice, and this is how you lift the sides. Let's see if I can do this nice and slow.
Speaker 5: Mister Simon. It's so nice.
Speaker 3: They're a vase shape. I tellia watch and I'll show you how to make decorations. I want to learn too, of course, of course.
Speaker 5: Can we make a flower on the side a flower?
Speaker 3: H I don't know, but I can make lines, so stripes.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, nice.
Speaker 3: There we go. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 3: Well? I sure enjoyed that. I always think of creation at the pottery wheel.
Speaker 5: Creation of the world.
Speaker 3: Yes, but specifically when God created us humans, he shaped us from dirt and dust from clay.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And God's still shaping us even now. And the Holy Spirit is like the water you said.
Speaker 5: The water is the potter's most important tool.
Speaker 3: And the Holy Spirit is most important in helping us to shape our lives. He guides us and makes change possible.
Speaker 4: Mister Simon, I think we should get some pottery wheels for camp.
Speaker 2: That's a great faith exercise.
Speaker 3: Good idea camp director.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't even messy.
Speaker 5: Can I try the wheel now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, matellia.
Speaker 4: Okay, careful, not too fast.
Speaker 2: The clayful it's everywhere.
Speaker 3: Not even huh.
Speaker 4: Oh, mister Simon, there's clay everywhere, even in.
Speaker 3: Your hair, in my hair. Now what will we do?
Speaker 5: Clean up?
Speaker 3: And I'll help? That was my job when my wife made pottery too.
Speaker 2: I'll get them off.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Camper's will get their turn with a pottery wheel next summer, and hopefully it won't be as messy as today's adventure was. We are like clay, and God.
Speaker 2: Is the potter.
Speaker 1: Isaiah sixty four, verse eight says this. But now, oh Lord, you are our father. We are the clay, and you our potter. God formed humans, and he continues to shape our lives by the Holy Spirit. I'm glad that when we break apart like clay on a potter's wheel, that God puts us back together again and shapes us for him. God is a wonderful creator and recreator. I miss Jean, and You've been listening to a mini adventure in Discovery Mountain, where the error is clear, clear enough to hear your imagination, and where every day is an exercise in faith. Discovery Mountain is a listener supported program brought to you by the Voice of Prophecy. Join us online to listen to programs on demand at Discoverymountain dot com.