Speaker 1: Hey guys, Dan are here. Thanks for checking out the show. Now. Some of you may or may not be aware, but back in twenty fifteen, I launched this podcast with my co host at the time, Mitch, and we reviewed every episode of the first ten seasons, released a book called Homer's Odyssey and am Big and Simpson's Guide, and pretty much just lay the foundation for what has become the four Finger Discount Network. Fast forward to twenty twenty, Mitch decided to take a break from podcasting to focus on things like family and work, and that's where Guy entered the equation and has been doing a sensational job since and we'll continue to do so. But now six years later, Mitch is also back, and he and I are kicking off where we left off by reviewing season eleven of The Simpsons and onwards exclusively for our Patreon. We just released our review of Guesses Coming to Criticizedda, a really fun episode which you're going to be getting a sneak peek at here. And if you like what you hear and you want to hear more Mitch and Dando each and every month, you can do so by joining the four Finger Discount family on Patreon, where all of your support is much appreciated and is so pivotal to the survival of the forefinger discount that way, But thank you again for checking out the show, and I hope you enjoy Mitch and Danda reviewing. Guess who's coming to criticize you? See you all next week with Guy.
Speaker 2: Well least you like the food.
Speaker 1: Oh I like food, alright. I like Pitza, I like Babelds.
Speaker 3: I like hot dogs with mustard and bee.
Speaker 2: I get the picture.
Speaker 1: Charlie day Plan, I couldn't even need a baby.
Speaker 3: De la la la la la.
Speaker 1: Who's that baby?
Speaker 2: Do you run the lower four finger discounting?
Speaker 1: Once in a great while, we are privileged to experience a podcast event so extraordinary it becomes part of our shared heritage. Twenty ten The concept of true crime podcast is twenty thirteen, Mark Maroon releases these first podcast episode. Then for a long time, nothing happened until tonight. Behold the future of podcasting. It's a bitch. Hey, he's back.
Speaker 3: Nothing happened that includes our own.
Speaker 1: Show it when we only released a book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see that there.
Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 3: It's nice to be back, Dando. It's necessary to be back. Truthfully, I've fallen on half times.
Speaker 1: Why are you here?
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of people won't know this, but I've actually spent the last five or six years operating Jackie.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: This is a little bit of an industry insider thing. She is not a real human. She's a very early AI model, but they didn't have the processing power back then to handle movement of speech. So I see it in a control booth and I kind of move her around the Kiss FM studios. It was the only way they could get anyone to spend that much time in a room with Kyle Sandalance. Year after year after year. It was if they weren't real. But now that's all fucked up, so I've lost my payday. Sophie Monk, I applied for that, but that guy, the guy that controls her, is on a watertight contract. So sitting at home thinking what am I gonna do? And then out of the blue, you sent me a message. She said, look, I'll buy you a tank of fuel if you come around and record six hundred hours worth of podcast And I was like, that seems like it's a pretty good hourly rate. So here I am.
Speaker 1: Kyl Sanderlands would you rather drop your pants for food or work with Kyl Sanders?
Speaker 3: I would rather drop my pants for prison.
Speaker 1: A Stables's character, whoever that was in OZ? What was Stables character?
Speaker 3: I don't know. OZ is a traumatic experience for me is like a nightmare that you blank on as soon as you wake up, and all that you know happened is that you were sweating and afraid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember watching every episode and then I sort of forgot about the show and we watched SVU for years back, and I was like a stable you turn to. I was like, yeah, Oz, Oh my god, what was the one blood of my dick or shitter my knife? No, no, no, my dick or blood of my knife.
Speaker 3: Whatever you whatever it is, whatever it is, neither of those things should be about it. I was what did I watched yesterday during number two? And Jak goan, Yeah, it's pretty good. But JK. Simmons is just kind of lovely in it, and it's just I can't compute it because his OZ character still rains so large and everything that he's ever done.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Billy West about him recently, because he's the yellow Eminem and Billy is the red I did not know that. Yeah, and that's where they did he take over from. No, he was the very He's always been the yellow eminem and Billy's always been the red.
Speaker 3: Why did I think Phil Harmon was involved in the eminems?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Phil Harmon was going to be Zap Brannigan before he passed, and then Billy obviously was given a role and it was a Phil Hartmon tribute. Is that Brannigan for futuremer But no, they've always been the eminem But he said, yeah, he's absolutely lovely to work for with. Yeah, okay, interesting, but we're here today to review which episode because what happened is we started a podcast in twenty fifteen and after a few years or you got to the point where you stopped watching The Simpsons. Yeah, on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got past the point that I had connected with it from from my youth, and it felt like too big of a transition, particularly because we were just doing this week on week on week that suddenly I had stepped into a period where I was like, I don't think I'm going to be able to give the best take on this to the audience that for what they're gonna.
Speaker 1: Want, I think this is the first time since you left the show that you've recorded a Simpsons podcast review in this room. I think it is, Yeah, because we did it over zoom or whatever it was, and it's just not the same. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well like COVID had happened around that time, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you left and the inn COVID appened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not only that, it's the first time I've been to the house for quite a while. Like I come here, there's a hold and parked out the front. You don't have a novelty door mat Genuinely.
Speaker 1: It's like I grew up. We've got books on his shelf.
Speaker 3: I mean books about the Simpsons, but still.
Speaker 1: Actually and other things. Got warning book up there. Yeah, Patrick Stewarts in Curry's book Michael Richards book talk about Michael Richards.
Speaker 3: I think so he came.
Speaker 1: The time has passed right over that didn't. I feel like he's been forgived. It was him he had to get over our reaction to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, i'd certainly I think that if you talk in power rankings, that Michael Richards is above Will Smith or something like that in terms of.
Speaker 1: Things that have happened since you left. Will Smith's career is worse than ours.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he won an Academy Award and then blew his career up in the same night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, so he no, he did it first. Yeah, but it all happened on the same night. You're right, But it's like he won the award. Everyone's like, do we clap?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not what you want as the first actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't wasn't great. But so I've had another child. Both my children are now starting school. You've had a child.
Speaker 3: I've had a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was never on the cards when you're doing the podcast. No, you were not going to become a father.
Speaker 3: So there's probably some very incriminating evidence of.
Speaker 1: Me on record. I don't go back and listen to the old ones. People are like, he should go back and like cut out because you guys are always talking about big Big Roddy's ribbon, ribbons shack whatever it was called.
Speaker 3: Look, I actually take pride in the fact that we've outlasted a lot of our sponsors.
Speaker 1: They're still going though, are they. Yeah, you'ready still going on your ruddy Yeah? Were you? No, you didn't come I never went there, no, Yeah, because I was in Queensland. My friends with Friends. Yeah, I just gave us so much ribs it was great. Yeah, yeah, I mentioned Big Rodd's ribs again. Maybe even get in touch with it. They can sponsor this show. Do you reckon? Is this isn't four finger discount? What is this now?
Speaker 3: Is it not fourth finger discount?
Speaker 1: Well? Fourthing a discount is like the I guess it is. It's like a it's weird because this is the original fourthinger discounting. But it's like, is this this is exclusive for Patreon? Is this like a sub category of fourthing a discount? Was it just I'll just go back to the archive and wipe everything that guy did for the last five years. I don't know I made the fifth Finger now Nah, I don't think so finger. Yeah yeah. But basically what we're doing is we're going to be kicking off because we tried did a soft launch about two or three years ago. Yeah, and it didn't work out because it was just too hard working around. Yeah, Lex was too young.
Speaker 3: Your Lex was too young. You booked Grock and then suddenly I slipped down the contacts list.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, and it wasn't happening. But now we're here, so we're going to be doing this twice a month. Are going to start with guess who's went to criticized in it? Which I thought was't a good episode of kick Off for you, in particular because you're a I'd call you a foodie.
Speaker 3: A foodie and a snob, yes, the same thing, right, they go hand in hand.
Speaker 1: Can you be a foodie and not be a snob?
Speaker 3: Though Homer managed for the first half of this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, until the other s's so good. That's the thing with being a critic, right do you think do you buy into the mentality of you have to critique? I think if you like everything, then you tell everyone that you like every well.
Speaker 3: I think you can critique and still be positive like a critique. Oh, let's say that you can give feedback. I kind of see critique as being an overall piece of good and bad if there is any bad, but if there's no bad. I think if you're a critic and you're coming into something with the mentality of I need to find something to dislike, then you'll do a pretty shitty job of being a critic. And I think back to when you were running the website and I wrote a few video game critiques back then that I approached it from the angle of who is this for?
Speaker 1: And did you really which video games did you critique? Oh, did you do Batman, Arkhemasylum or something like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I did that. I did Lego something, okay, Lego, Jurassic Park. Maybe there were a couple others. I also did some TV shows from memory back in the day. But but yeah, for me, it's kind of that thing of I would rather a review that tells me what sort of person would like this, And I think that there's a way that you can do that without having to shit on what it doesn't do.
Speaker 1: I've seen people critique Kevin Smith because they say he only ever talks positive about things, and his response was, well, only review stuff that I enjoy. Yeah, I can see it, because he goes, I haven't got time to waste energy on negativity. If I know I'm not going to like it, I't bother talking about it. Do you buy into that mantra?
Speaker 3: I mean it wouldn't work for all shows, but yeah, I do like Kevin's doing it by choice. His show is not a review show. It's a pop culture show where he talks about what interests him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, in that sense, why wouldn't you only talk about stuff that you like. I have heard Kevin talk about being you know, there'll be movies that have come up where it's like this is right in the wheelhouse, and we have to talk about this, and maybe it sucked. What was the Snyder verse? Well, it's just included all of the Snyder verse and all of the reasons that that might have criticism. But he's even that, he still kind of finds a way to be like, you know, I dug this, I like this bit, and it kind of is what is left unsaid there because it's there's a difference between looking for the positives and then lying to say that something was awesome, Like it's it's easy to go, yeah, like I liked this and this about it? Was it what I wanted overall? No, but this is good And if that's your thing, then go watch it.
Speaker 1: What's what shits me about? So many you see it with younger film critics now on Instagram and TikTok and whatnot. Everything is the best of something now. I saw a lot when the Superman movie came out, the recent one, I was the best superhero movie in decades. I'm like, is it though? It was? It? Just you're just saying that so you get free to get to the.
Speaker 3: Next yir Now, it was just pretty a superhero movie?
Speaker 1: Was it any good? Because you're a Superman god? I enjoyed it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like for me, it was better than Superman Returns.
Speaker 1: That was your favorite of the recent ones, wasn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like, I, for all of its flaws, I still preferred that over any of the Cavil films because it had optimism.
Speaker 1: So I think you can think Nolan for that. I reckon the lack of optimism and superhero movie.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting one that actually, because no one's normally pretty good at tapping in to what a character actually is. So like, I don't think that he painted that with a bleak brush. I'd be curious to know how much of a producer's hand he had on that versus how much of it was just. I also think that as a director, he'd probably be less inclined to try to shape another director's vision. If he wanted to tell his Superman movie, he would have just said old direct But yeah, so Superman one and two and then this one's called Man of Steel.
Speaker 1: The old one old one. It was just for Superman, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Is it just called Superman very well?
Speaker 1: Might have been.
Speaker 3: That's a memorable it was, yeah, and Returns and it's just course Returns because it's a beautiful homage to my favorite ones, but it's also weaker overall.
Speaker 1: I have you been to any recent films. I'm going to go see Project Hail Mary heard it's great.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm keen for that. I love that book.
Speaker 1: That was really really good. Large a song sung Blue ops it on the podcast I Haven't See. I saw the ads and stuff and thought, oh, it's Neil Diamond biopic. It's not. It's about the story of a Neil Diamond cover band, yeah, and just the chaos of their life. And it's actually great.
Speaker 3: Okay, h No, I missed Avatar. I double booked. I was going to go see Avatar three D. I actually was in Bali and that was on the low. There was an IMAX over in Bali. Now in snore like five Australian dollars to go see Avatar in three D in Imax over there.
Speaker 1: It's just a twenty dollars Amazon projector just like pulled really far back.
Speaker 3: Well, I never found out because it was only on the first night that we arrived and I was pretty cooked, so I was like I saw it was like great, I'll come back in two days and saying I'll.
Speaker 1: Go a little later. I'll go a little later.
Speaker 3: And when I came back, they were only playing mothering heights.
Speaker 1: Isn't not funny how that moment just sticks with you. It's like it's the perfect thing to use when you when you just leave something for too long. I'll go a little later with your chicken. Yes exactly. Yeah, it's become I'm sure this will be in the edit. But Dando just ran out on me. He left chicken in the other The first person done this too. It's happened regular times. I've been put chicken in the oven. Late thing. I'm just like cooking chicken podcast. The chicken I didn't cook this likeily this time wasn't my fault. Nicola went out for dinner, which like, I've put some chicken in the oven and needs to be cooking. He's keep an eye on it. I'm like, well, I'm about to start recording your podcast. But okay, what I enjoyed the most that again was my scuttle No it was that you heard the chicken. So you have your headphones on, and you didn't look at your not wearing a watch. You didn't look at the time, you didn't look at your laptop. You went, I've got to take some chicken out. You can hear putting. Oh's a funny story about Superman. So the kids love Superman one, and I've got all four on four K, and they wanted to watch Superman two. Okay, don't putting it in. And I didn't say Superman two for a long time. Maybe i'd opened it. I hadn't watched a four K probably on the cut or the Yeah, yeah, that's I think it's the only version you get on four K. And you know I put the disk in. I'm sitting there. I'm sort of like cooking their getting their lunch, eating and stuff, and I'm watching them like, man, this ship. This weird. I don't remember it's being It's a really weird start anyway, watching it, Richard prior, Oh ship, I'm like Richard, Oh no, the Supman three.
Speaker 3: The only the only saving grace for the kids is that you left them somewhere to go.
Speaker 1: Yes. The thing is the covers look so similar because they released them all though very similar, just a Superman one Superman two. I just grabbed it because obviously I put it on the shlf on the wrong spots. I just grabbed it, didn't look and I was like, I don't remember being this weird at the start, but yeah, I've got Obviously Superman two went in and the kids loved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, good. And then I actually still have a soft spot for four. What's so bad that the Quest for Quest for Peace Superman verse? He throws all of the nuclear bombs in the world into the sun, And don't we need that right now? Yeah?
Speaker 1: We really do. Yeah. Anyway, what do you think of this episode? I guess who's come to criticized dinner? So this is how much Simpsons have you watched since leaving the podcast at all? You haven't shown lex any.
Speaker 3: Best part of it. I did turn it on for it, just to see if she'd be visually interested in it.
Speaker 1: Old or new ones, because the new one is more visually stimulating, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, Now I went with I don't know what, something from probably season three or four. I was trying to I was actually it was just a point where I was flicking around and seeing what sticks.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: What she did like was BoJack Horseman. Really got into the visuals of that. And I think the opening theme song.
Speaker 1: Because putting the Simpsons on now for my kids like the old ones, is the equivalent of my mum putting on like a Scooby Doo cartoon visually. Yeah, it looks scratchy. Yeah, I haven't watched much at all.
Speaker 3: I have probably, just like for pleasure, watched a handful of episodes over the last few years. I think the last one that I watched was it She and Scratchy in March season two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think doing the podcast made you want to watch the show list less?
Speaker 3: I needed to put some distance between myself and the show, Yeah, to be able to try to just watch it and be entertained by it again as opposed I'm.
Speaker 1: Only just starting to be able to do that. The thing is, I think I'll put on for the kids, and my kids are old enough where they can sort of understand some of the jokes and whatnot, and seeing them enjoy it for the first time and sort of living by carefully through that and stuff like I put Who Shot Mister Burns on? And they didn't know what it was like, this is cool seeing kids, seeing my kids experience the same way I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think when lex is a couple of years older, that will be something that I do really look forward to. There's a few things like that. Actually I kind of have like a not actually written down, but I have a mental list.
Speaker 1: Of movies to show her what's your bocket.
Speaker 3: List based on various points of her life. I was thinking about how cool it's going to be a show.
Speaker 1: I still haven't shown all yet, but he watched out the first thirty minutes. He sort of turned a me in his like when did the dinosaurs start? And I was like, forty minutes in, there's barely any dinosaurs. There aren't much that many dinosaurs in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I suppose that is something where the pacing of films is really different these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a weird one.
Speaker 3: With Jurassic Park. You need to get in maybe a little earlier than you otherwise would, because part of you might be like, dinosaurs is going to scare a five year old, But if that five year old turns into an eight year old who's seen a bunch of other hyperactive movies where there's like, shit's got to happen in the first five minutes or they're not going to keep watching and they'll stop streaming. Then you've kind of primed them to go. Be like if you and I sat down right now to watch Lawrence of Arabia, Yeah, like, when's Lawrence going to fire a gun?
Speaker 1: Skip intro? Speaking of right, so, because kids just don't like sitting through credits, but I put Space on my kids lost Space Jam right, you know, it's bright's colorful shit going on. And Ali had a couple of friends over I mentioned some on the podcast. Another one we did or did Big Guy and he had two friends. Once they're fine, but the intro came on, It's like, no, fucking MJ's doing slam dunks. You've got the Space Jam song playing. It's great. This kid's just like push the button skip intro. I'm like, are you out of your mind? Child? It's Michael Jordan doing slam dunks to the Space Jam song. He's like, skip intro. When do we skip intro?
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I can't tolerate that. And Lex will not grow up and a skip intro household. Yeah that the intro sets the tying as the little as you removes boosh gets the senses going.
Speaker 1: And we sound like old men shaking their fistic cloud. But it's very important, Like trained my kids to realize, you don't skip the intros.
Speaker 3: You are gonna watch this feather float through the air for five fucking minutes before Tom Hanks speaks, and you're gonna enjoy every second of it.
Speaker 1: See my kids have, they've watched every episode of Fresh Prince. They stream the share the Fresh Prince.
Speaker 3: They get that intro.
Speaker 1: The first time I put they skipped intro, I was like, give me the remote, hold the phone. I went back to the start and I said, you do not skip this one. Do never skip this one actually tells you the story. And now they lost into in the car like, ah, oh shit. Intros are actually there's a point to them.
Speaker 3: But you watch chasing how quickly that happened. Where Like not long ago, Game of Thrones was praised for its intro. Yeah, and we have five six years later and no one be paying any attention to it. Yeah he was when the breaking bad music kicked in and things like that. Yeah, at least that short. Yes, we're watch taking bad as a self skipping intro see how.
Speaker 1: Guilty Pleasure show is s for you? Nicola and I we'll watch it, watch it all the time, but we will put it on occasionally. And the other night Nicola like fucking skipped intro on the SVU intro. I was like, Nikola, so I turned her and she looked at me. She was like, oh, I didn't mean to. I'm like, you better not, dav This that leads.
Speaker 3: Me into the first question that I wrote, And it doesn't answer how do I feel about the question? But do you still watch the Simpsons intro when you're doing these? Because I watched it in full for the couple episodes that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: I do when I'm doing it for the review because I feel like I just want to get into watching it mode. Yeah, yeah, I skipped the intro noun on Disney Plus to the point, now can you believe this? We had Matt someone on the show cause I noticed it season thirty seven. They don't do the intro anymore really, because there's no point, just cold they I would have learned from the stats that people were skipping the intro, so what's the point? And he said, I would rather dedicate time to storytelling than have any intro.
Speaker 3: This is another one of those reasons that I just want the Internet to be shut off, be perfectly honest. People are too quick to like just settle in.
Speaker 1: Yeah joy Yeah. So even the couch gags and I have there's no couch gag.
Speaker 3: Recording twenty two minutes, it's all intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the credits haven't stopped yet, there's no there's no couch gags or anything. They had a couch gag for the eight hundred episode because it was a special one, but now it just goes the Simsons and it sort of phades just in zooms into one of the letters and goes him and that's the end of the episode, just starts. Yeah okay, because they were saying people were just skipping it, So why waste forty five seconds of storytelling time on something that people are going to skip anyway?
Speaker 3: Thirty seven years that's admirable because I would be like, can we drag that intro out to three minutes people skip it anyway, and that way I don't have to write.
Speaker 1: This match then this isn't actually pretty good. I would advise checking out the newer episodes, probably like season thirty five onwards. Yeah, because ol Genus left the show and now Matt Selman is taken over a show, we've got a fresh voice. Yeah. Well, he was pretty much supposed running the show anyway, but now he's officially the solo showrunner. He can just do what he wants having to get the approval from up above, and yeah, it's better for it, all right? Sweet this episode? What did you like?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: What did I like?
Speaker 3: I liked that this was a wacky but believable enough side plot, not side plot, but the idea of Homer gets a new job and does whatever. And I kind of liked that the fact that Lisa was the ghost writer of all of it, and Homer and Lisa working together hearkens back to earlier episodes and some really strong episodes where they would be in on things forgive me for forgetting. Yeah, the gambling one is the one that it kind of evoked. I also liked that for a small period there, Homer actually found a second thing to do that is genuinely good at. And what I mean by that is he couldn't write, obviously, but he's genuinely good at eating food, and he was genuinely good at finding stuff to be delicious and he made people happy and that there wasn't any real spite or mean spiritedness in the episode overall. So it kind of felt of an earlier error to a degree.
Speaker 1: Because he didn't start becoming rude with with his reviews until the other critics convinced him to do so peer pressured him. It didn't just become a dick. He was buckling to peer pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was doing it because he thought that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: I do think they could have maybe focused more on the Lisa homodynamic and her being sad that they had this thing going well together and she was enjoying having her stuff printed in the paper yep, and now she's no longer able to do that, she can't work with him as a team anymore, and she was and seeing the impact that had on her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that would be, you know, the legacy, and I do want to try to avoid doing that versus or then really try to. Yeah, it's hard, but that would be If this was a James L. Brooks error, they definitely would have done that.
Speaker 1: That would have been the focus, not some wacky let's make a bigger Claire Le bomb, Yeah, to kill him overall.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I kind of took away from it was kind of forgotten that the pace of the jokes just slows down a little bit. Yeah, And I guess there'sn't that element of which we've spoke about many many years ago, of the change in the writer's room culture that you wouldn't stay there until three in the morning trying to carve out the absolutely every last ounce of a joke. So there's really good jokes in this I just found them less frequent. But I did have some really really big bally laughs.
Speaker 1: Are we surprised by that? We enjoyed by that knowing because you know, this isn't this isn't your era. No, I had you seen this one before?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I wasn't surprised by it. It's not like I knew that. It's not like I thought the show wouldn't be funny, just not as Yeah, Like I didn't think it was like, yeah, ten out of ten fucking one. It was more like a tapers and there were there are other things of a higher quality that I was like, I'll invest my time over here. And South Park was coming along as a pretty fresh voice.
Speaker 1: This was ninety nine. South Park kicked off in ninety seven, ninety eight year. Yeah, so it was more that it was like, oh, it's this new shiny toy and family were your family guy going. Yeah, when it started the first season, I think the family Guy because it was different ye, Futurama and Dilbert, and it was quite a big deal with at the time, and Scott Adams made Rest in Peace. I had recently Scott, A lot of people didn't like the guy.
Speaker 3: Oh he's a bastard. I hate to speak ill of the dead, dad note, but fuck.
Speaker 1: Me speaking of ill of the dead. Speaking of speaking of ill of the dead, I should say. We spoke to Jay Kergan today for our last exit at the Springfield Reviewer. But yeat at some point some negative things to say about Sam Simon, which really, really I was surprised by because you only ever hear nicest guy. You know, he dedicated a lot of his money to looking after animals, and yeah, he's lovely and apparently just a motherfucker to work with, right. Yeah, but it's like, you know, it was explaining you've got to have that mongrel to you to get results on that dog at him. Yeah, So look at for that last exit of the Springfield. But you're right though with the with the amount of gags, because Last Exit Springfield is one of those episodes it's just jo jo jo Jo joke, Joe joke. And then you watch this one. This one's almost like a breath of fresh air to an extent because you can sort of relax a bit. Yeah, but in saying that it's not as funny as a result, No, it's a different kind of funny. I guess, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: And like I said, it's like if I could spoil my absolute favorite moment in the episode and the funniest part. So at the beginning, the little callback I haven't seen for four years, Like, no, that's funny. But then when they're at the dinner table, it's like passed on, pass it on, passing on. We just want to know where our Sunday is, Kils. It's like that that slayed me. And as much as you know, structurally it's pulled back and reveal, but execute it so.
Speaker 1: So fucking well because the thing is Utter gets attacked. I think it's Pta de Spam, which is like season six, and I think you might see him nah, because he's in dast Bus, I think anyway, But like the last field trip, he gets like left behind and they get a beat the shit out of him basically, and you think they've killed Uda. And I think that's what this joke is referring to, that we haven't seen him since that field trip. But even though he has been seen since, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I thought it was dust Bus and maybe he just got left on the island, but bands is that they remember they're looking over the fence and yeah, the but regardless, I just I think that that is one where if it's joke jo jo jo joke joke, then that one doesn't hit as hard. So you know, that was just very very funny.
Speaker 1: So Asna he played the editor, Yeah right, and the old man from up.
Speaker 3: I did not look that up, but I knew that voice was familiar to Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought he did a good job. Apparently it's based on Lou Grant, who was a character from the marytyle More show, which is James L. So, James L. Brooks created that show. He created the character of Lou Grant, and that's who this editor was based on.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a deep cut references it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I thought he did a good job as the editor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, other than if you can write me one article, I'll put you on the payroll.
Speaker 1: The logic of it.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's how Mary Tyler Moore got to work. I haven't seen enough of that show, but yeah, I was like, Oh, that's that's a swing. Anyone can stitch. Maybe not anyone, but a lot of people could stitch five hundred words together. In this job market. It's probably not happening.
Speaker 1: Was bobs Burgers in this economy? Yeah? I have watched Bob bobs Burgers. I think in this economy can be anything that speaking of things that are a bit logical. So there's no E on the typewriter. Explain to me how he repeatedly writes screw Flanders. Mmm, I mean you could, I guess write screw Flanders without the E would be incorrectly that.
Speaker 3: I hadn't noticed that. In a moment, my brain was willing to go along with that for the quality of the joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. And then I like the call back again later on two more words, screw Flanders appetite, Yes, indeed, have you.
Speaker 3: What's the dodgiest trick you ever pulled?
Speaker 1: For a word? Count, when's the last night to write some for all? Work out what do we do for our book? Do we just do we do for a book? Book was like seventy thousand words, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did some padding, Yeah that quick, get some trivia, find an interview that we did, let's transcribe it, transcribe, transcribe our conversations. I remember discovering the trick that you could chuck words sort of around the margins or at the bottom of the top of a page in Microsoft Word and then just change it to a white font.
Speaker 1: So when did that go?
Speaker 3: Tools word count? They'd be like, that's it the mark and how did you do that?
Speaker 1: Did you be a call for it?
Speaker 3: Two or three times? Early days of computers where it was like, let's just take a swing that they don't know what they're doing, and I'll be okay.
Speaker 1: How tempted would you be now if you're doing year twelve now to use GPT for writing stuff or at least give you an idea of where to go with something. I'd be an idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would one hundred percent use it for structure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I wouldn't just copy page.
Speaker 3: I actually something happen at work a little while ago, where I had used co pilot to kind of help structure the way something should be. And I put it all together and I rewrote a bunch and I sent it to my manager and they were like, this is really good, except this paragraph here. Can you make that sound less like copilot? And it was the only paragraph that I wrote that is one hundred percent. I made that up.
Speaker 1: The rest wasn't.
Speaker 3: No, he knew that that was fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the joke.
Speaker 3: Maybe he was in on it. Maybe he realized this is this is too shit to be copilot. Maybe I just used a few to a few too many fancy words. I think, just me, I was just I just kept it simple. I just never abbreviated anything because I am yeah it is ah, yeah, that does work.
Speaker 1: That's a really good way to go, and it needs to go. You really should be using more abbreviation. Why yeah, you're want of whats a thousand words?
Speaker 3: This is the way the language was invented. Is it not.
Speaker 1: My favorite favorite moments from the episode? As I said, I didn't actually write any favorite moments, but I'm sure I can wing something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that was mostly what I had to remove all traces of asbestos and references to evolution has aged frighteningly well.
Speaker 1: Because this episode and twenty seven years ago mind boggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty nuts.
Speaker 1: But this feels like it still feels starts like a newer episode, doesn't it. Yeah, I think someone like you who hasn't watched the new or newer ones. When I was a kid, he can Hear Pudding.
Speaker 3: Was a joke that I really really liked. And it's a great life. It's a great line reading, yeah, said with admiration.
Speaker 1: It's just we can hear pudding. Yeah, yeah, his admiration. You're right. I liked when I was a kid that growing grabbingly, growing grabbingly good team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interestingly, that's one that I wrote down for Age the Worst, just describing a father daughter relationship as growing gravitally, and it felt like that was dangerous territory?
Speaker 1: Was that ever? Not dangerous territory? Though I wouldn't say aged terribly, It was just was there ever an acceptable term for a daddy daughter team.
Speaker 3: There's been quite a few prominent legal actions recently that would suggests that maybe people look the other way about it. Ninety ninety nine.
Speaker 1: I didn't mind, Homer just it doesn't really make sense. But I got two words for you much cheek and beak.
Speaker 3: What what is shaking bake? I'm going to google it because I've never seen it in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hear about a lot in American TV. Yeah, shake and bake. It is a seasoned bread crumb coating originally marketed to mimic the flavor and texture of fried chicken, introduced to nine in sixty five by General Foods. Of course there's a breadcumb seasoning bread whatte season bread crumbs? Bread cumb season Well, at least with that you wouldn't need to bother whipping an egg. Actually, that's a good way the egg whisk gag, putting together the egg whisky from the case as.
Speaker 3: If it was a rifle. Very cool, kind of assassin.
Speaker 1: Putting in the usual the antidote at the end. Yeah, yeah, so I noticed something by the way, something on the.
Speaker 3: Actually felt very Steve Martin. Yeah, that felt a little bit like a sort of physic comedy skit that he would do. Yeah, because it's something that you've brought on the floor down here, have we save it for the end. We're gonna do it before we get into like a little quick run through. We'll save it for the end, so over the end. Yeah, we'll get something I'm gonna give to you before I supposed to get to the start and I forgot.
Speaker 1: All right, here is something for you. It's this, Ah, I've got a giant Cats mug. You've got a giant Hawk smug. Because let's be honest, these were the best mascots in AFL history, right, these two specific ones, these two specific ones. Yes, I like that the Hawk mascot looks like Dermy he does. It was definitely designed to look at it does. Yeah, I will showed to go back. I feel like everything needs to be simplified now, everything sort of. You go to macasine looks like an Ikea store. It's all simplied. McDonald doesn't even sa McDonalds anymore than science. They've taken the way McDonald's away. It's just a giant m now.
Speaker 3: Interesting, you know, Lex calls McDonald's old McDonald's. She learned the song first, and it's very wholesome.
Speaker 1: And I won't correct These are things when their kids right and they say things incorrectly, don't correct them. Yeah, No, because once they corrected that and do it anymore, you know, no, it's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I actually have a little keep note file of lexisms of things that she used to say I wish I did lately as an educator named Trinity, that she would go on this like almost endless run where she pronounced the name of Trinity and it was yeah, I don't want that to change.
Speaker 1: See Alliott. I can't explain why, but his original way of saying thank you, he'd say button, so he go thank you, you go bum and then one day he just goes thank you and oh, oh but bum.
Speaker 3: He's just like that's in the Cradle in the Silver Spell.
Speaker 1: I never fee the day where he said thank you for the person. I was like, oh, that's the end of Barton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's illogical, makes no sense of the first time Las lacks first time lex pronounced helicopter, yeah, correctly because that was Halli Potter. Yeah, it's time.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's like it's actually a better word. I'd prefer called Halli Potter. That's what in the new Harry Potter film, that's what he'd be flying around. Fuck the room stick