Speaker 1: It's night side with Dan Ray on Boston.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. It's a little bit after ten o'clock here and on a Friday night. I'm delighted to be joined by a friend of many years, someone who uh, I think is familiar to everyone in New England. Uh. Former Boston Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. But he's also former New York Police commissioner twice, former chief of police in Los Angeles, a career in the in law, in law enforcement. And we could we could spend the entire hour going through the resume and the awards and all of that. Like me, he is a graduate of University of Massachusetts in Boston. Bill, did did you go to Boston State and then by virtue of the merger becoming U Mass Boston Graduate or did you go to U mass Boston?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And it's in its old area, in the Park Square area. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm well tonight, Dan, good to be with you. I actually started at Boston State in nineteen seventy one under a federally funded program to provide college educations to police officers. So as part of one hundred police officers from around the Great Boston area. It started at Boston State, but then in mid seventies it was merged into the U mass system. So I ended up graduating out of Boston. In your run up of my bio, you left out I'm up here in Boston. We got the Vagatta, one of the great events here in this city this weekend. I got a gorgeous weekend for it. A lot of listeners might remember the old MDC Police, the Metropolitan Police. Yes, that used to used to police the Charles River among its responsibilities, and so I was superintendent of that for a few years old.
Speaker 2: Also are the head of the MBTA Police, if if.
Speaker 3: I recall that's correct. It was the first of my two transit developments. I headed up the transit police in New York.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, so yeah, as I said, we could, we could have read the entire and we'll be wrapping up and saying thanks very much you having joined us.
Speaker 3: So I've had I had a hard time holding on to a.
Speaker 2: Job, Don and you you were sought after by by some of the great cities in America, New York, Los Angeles, and Boston. My understanding is that you're in You're in town not only for the regatta, but I also think there's some sort of a law enforcement event going on this weekend that you're involved in or or was I misled?
Speaker 3: Actually this series of them over the last two days. The Major City Chiefs Association, which is made up of the seventy five largest cities in America and Canada, we're holding their conference here attended by four or five hundred law enforcement officials, including the chiefs, to discuss a wide range of current issues of concern. The elections were in the middle of the crime situation, the various crime issues we're dealing with, terrorism, what's going on in the mid East now it's impacting here. Starting tomorrow, the fifteen thousand member International Association of Chiefs of Police, which represent almost all of the police organizations in this country, are here in Boston for their annual conference. So you'll see a lot of those chiefs in the city the next five days and then on Sunday and organization I'm may be proud to be part of the Police Executive Research Forum, headed up by a Bostonian Chuck Wexler, who I work with in the Boston Police Department. Well, well, you and I have taught together at his program over BEU every summer so he'll be doing his things. So it's a very exciting weekend for the law enforcement community here in the United States and Canada, which brings me.
Speaker 2: To the topic at hand. And this has been a very interesting presidential election campaign, unfortunately made more interesting by a mere assassination of one candidate, Donald Trump and a second assassination attempt that there were more questions about both of these that have been answered, so I'd like to talk about those. I'd also like to talk about the idea of that the Middle East does have a splash over effect here at Bill and you know this better than I do, and I know there is probably some things that you can't say. And so, as I've said earlier tonight, I always have the right to take the Fifth Amendment here on nightside when we get to an area that we should not be talking about. But I'm hearing a lot of roomors. I'm looking at a Washington Post piece as a matter of fact, from this past August about the idea of Iranian hit squads looking to take out American politicians of either party and maybe in retaliation for our support of Israel and the fact that we were able to get rid of solomony during the Trump administration. So there's just so much to talk about here. Maybe what we could do is just have one question and then I got to go to break And did you ever think in your lifetime after what we experienced, and you and I are very close in age as young teenagers in nineteen sixty three, the assassination of a president, what we witnessed as young men the summer of sixty eight, including the assassination of doctor King and Senator Robert F. Kennedy, did you ever think, and you know there have been other events along the way, but that there would be two assassination attempts during a president a campaign in this year twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Too, directed against the same candidate you left out, George Wallace.
Speaker 2: No, I did, yeah, yep, no, And I interviewed him after that event. As a matter of fact, I remember him rolling in in a wheelchair into the old WBC studio at Soldier's Field Road. Now I remember that. And we could also mention Gerald Ford who two crazy women. One was Wiki Frome and the other was I think it was Jane Jane Moore or Mary Jane Moore. They both took a shot and both of the myssed they had pistols, so and of course Ronald Reagan, who himself nearly died. But but it just it just it boggles my mind that there could be two of these. And you know, from a security perspective, what did you think of the first one in Butler, Pennsylvania. That had to be a total and it appears to have been a total miscommunication between the locals and the FEDS. And I'm sure you've handled many of presidential visions in your life, in your experience, how could that happen?
Speaker 3: Well, it's quite clear that it should not have happened. That the report that was just issued this week was pretty damning of the Secret Service and its protocols and procedures and is calling for a widespread reforms of that organization. It's recruiting, it's training, its leadership, and it's something that the Secret Service itself has freely admitted that it recognizes that they are major issues in the organization that need to be corrected, including recognizing that it's ironic that the agency started as an entity with the Treasury Department to investigate financial crime, and the protection of the president was actually a smaller part of it. Their workload. Now it's become almost the major focus of the workload because it's so much more public than the Financial Primees investigation. So there's no denying that there were major, major omissions, deficiencies, screw ups basically at almost every aspect of that event. In Butler, less so on the golf course incident, the second incident. Second incident did reflect, However, one of the struggles that the Secret Service does have with its limited manpower is the idea of a spontaneous event that the president may seek to engage in something they discourage the golf course not having enough time to effectively inspect that site, if you will, And so going forward they will change their protocols on doubtteredly a lot more use of drones, for example, securing larger areas. And these events, these near tragedies, are always learning exercises in the sense of trying to prevent them from occurring in the future. Nation attempts against presidents are not new, unfortunately in this country of democracy. We celebrate democracy, but unfortunately we have seen to have even more assassination attempts than they do elsewhere in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one in Pennsylvania, it seemed to me that that's a roof of a building that was I think it was something like one hundred yards away or less than one hundred yards away. And what I'm getting is that somehow there was a line of communication. They run different radio channels, and even though this guy was spotted on the roof and there would have been plenty of time to get the former president off the stage, that was not communicated to the agent of age.
Speaker 3: That issue, Dan, I think is the one that is the most frustrating. The New York Times Day had a summary of the very large report that it was commenting on and reference the idea that is, many of his six Secret Service agents were aware of this character that was roaming around the area of the event, and yet none of them took the initiative to basically not let the president get up on the stage, and once he was on the stage, get.
Speaker 4: Him off the stage.
Speaker 3: And it's just highlighting something of the Secret Service itself has admitted that it is having large turnover. A lot of seasoned people leaving the paper today actually have not a chance to be the full report, but some of the excerpts in the New York Times states reporting that the Agent in charge of security for mister Trump had only joined the agency four years ago, and she was already a team leader the most important assignment of the Secret Service, protecting the President, and she only had four years on the job and this was one of her first assignments in that capacity. So no, a lot to be learned from what's going forward. Secret Service is committed to doing that. Congress is aren't going to have to be committed to adequately funding them for the increased security that's now going to be required going forward. And the security issues are immens today because we now have these concerns about drones outside events, with the issue of drones flying over those events and god for offendion ever on, and social media encouraging and basically almost enabling it sounds kind of like what I see the idea of encouraging through social media people to basically become terrorists. And we've got a lot of that now with all the hates viewing out of social media, that we're creating an enemy from within. If you will, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I want to kit on all of those points on Bill. I have a million questions. I got to take a quick break. This is a fairly quick commercial break, we get back will continue conversation with former bar New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, chief of police in Los Angeles. I don't think there's some more respected police authority with a wide variety of experience than Bill Bratton. Delighted he's with us tonight. As you said, tell he's going to be a very busy guy this weekend with all the police meetings and activity in Boston. And we will get to some phone calls. But I have a couple of other questions that I got to ask Bill Bratton, and we'll be back to do that right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 2: Our guest is Bill Bratton. There's so much to say about his experience. Most of you know the different places that he has served. Bill. I was on a trip with listeners from Nightside to Italy in early August, and one member of the trip was a guy who was fifty two years old. He had retired early from the Secret Service. This guy military background. He looked like a linebacker for the Patriots. I mean, the sort of person who you would want out there protecting the President. But he basically said he had burned out that you know, the demands on the time was such that he could no longer handle it. And I thought to myself, to lose an asset like this guy, fifty two years old, smartest, a whip, military background, and again you know, look like he was a professional football player, you know, just to lose him that might be what the real problem is with the Secret Service right now, is that the good people are leaving at such a rate. I got to assume that you can identify with that story without me telling you much more about this guy. This guy should not have been retiring at fifty two years of age. He was at the prime of his career.
Speaker 3: Well, his story is not unusual in American law enforcement. It's not just a Secret Service problem. It's a problem in American policing now. Because of the incredible pressures on law enforcement offices from a lot of different directions and anxieties, a lot of them are leaving earlier than they did during my time. My time, you come on the job in your twenties, you stay till sixty five, you know, and you've left before that. It was very unusual. But today the burnout factor is it's happening much quicker for people at the anxiety levels, the mental stress, let alone the physical wear and here so the Secret Service experience is not unique. But the issue that the Secret Service is facing, as was reflected in the conversations the last two days from the major city chiefs, almost every one of those departments represented here in barcelon the last couple of days is talking about the severe personnel shortage is that they're facing. I think American police forces are fifty two hundred thousand fewer offices than we had at the time of the murder of George Floyd, and trying to fill that deficiency is very difficult. In secret services, probably even more pressured because the nature of what they do. Think of it Dan the sense of in this presidential campaign, the movements of the presidential candidates, two of them around the country doing two or three events a day, and a planning that has to go in before that, the protection during the event, the movement of equipment, the armored cars, the communications gear, and we've all seen the length of these presidential convoys, twenty thirty vehicles. A lot of that has to be moved every time. That candidate moves, and now that they've requiring that, in the case of Trump and the vice president, that they receive presidential level protection, the stresses on those agents that they're constantly on the move, and once they're in a location, then the anxiety ramps up because then the challenge is to actually protect the physical person a little on over planning before the event. That then when the event is underway and they're bringing agents from all over the country to basically secure these events, Congress is going to have to face up to the fact that they're going to have to spend a lot more money on to high a lot more agents because effectively, these threat situations are probably not going to lessen in the future. That social media is here to stay. The political hostility is ramping up rather than the client You and I have been about a long time and we've watched it steadily increase through these election cycles, which for the last twenty years, there's so much anger and once again in our country there's one hundred some villion guns. You know, that becomes another problem in our country, that's just the availability of fire aps.
Speaker 2: I want to jump back just for a second, Midus, is this eight thousand secret Service agents. They're looking to try to bump it up to ten thousand. I know that in Boston there have been at least a dozen Boston police officers who have left as young police officers and have transferred over to become firefighters. I'm sure that if that's going on here, it's going on elsewhere, and it is. It is the fallout from this horrific incident, the George Floyd incident, which I think became very politicized. It was one police officer who was a rotten apple who obviously took advantage. And I remember watching the video of that guy get up off the neck of George Floyd and preened around like he was that he had done something heroic. That was a guy that should not have been a police office. You now have going back, and I want to jump back to Butler. I haven't seen any information that assassination is now nearly one hundred days old, or that assassination attempt is one hundred days old. We know nothing. I know nothing more about this kid, and yet we were told that he was on encrypted websites with people in foreign countries. And do you think that we're ever going to get the true story on who he was working with. I don't buy the fact that this kid got up that morning and said to himself, well, I'm going to go take a shot at Donald Trump. I mean, and if he did, what are all the encrypted messages about, you know of what I speak?
Speaker 3: Well, the issue of encryption interesting enough. The FBI director yesterday made a presentation and one of his major points of frustration was that with the Apple devices and the Mata devices, that the ability to basically get into all these smartphones, for example, into laptops, into computers is each year is diminishing their ability to get into these devices because the manufacturers are basically making them even more difficult to penetrate. The encryption is becoming more significant. So I think you're correct. I don't think we're ever going to know what the hell this kid's motivation was because we're probably never going to be able to access a lot of what he was doing because it was encrypted.
Speaker 2: Could could not and this is this is part of a legal question. Could not I don't know what type of phone he had, but but could not the government, the FBI go to the manufacturers of the phone and say, hey, whatever security precautions you know, that you have in this phone. This was the phone owned by the guy that took a shot and almost killed a presidential candidate. We want you to take that phone and break it down. We want to know who he was talking to. And it would seem to me maybe you'll up in court, But I kind of imagine that that any company under those extreme circumstances would fight back and say, no, we have to we have to protect the privacy of our of our dead customer.
Speaker 3: Well, the reality is they won't do it, and the device is are purposely designed so they cannot be penetrated even by the manufacturer. In other words, there's no bare's there's no back door. They basically it's one of the cells. The selling teachers that your information is protected from even us the manufacturer, that we're not secretly applying into your life. Now, this issue of encryption is international terrorism. When I was commissioner in New York, in particular, that we were frustrated at every turn by the inability to get into these homes. That and as the FBI Director indicated yesterday, each year the ability to get into them is lessened despite the increasing capabilities of the FBI. For example, Wow.
Speaker 2: Boy, I'll tell you, I think it was Khrushev back in the day, said that he would sell the rope to the United States, which would hang themselves. There was some comment that you have made like that, and that almost sounds eerily familiar here, that we're producing products which enabled twenty year old kids to be in contact with who knows whom he could be. He could have been in touch with the cuts forces in Iran for all of them.
Speaker 3: Well, look look at this kids in terms of the number of cases underway right now, with these mass murders where the parents basically out buying the guns for them, and that once again the insanity of our gun laws, that even the idea of things that seem that eighty five percent of America support, Congress just will not pass appropriate legislation. Same thing around the issue of encryption. They just will not under stand that we are in this incredible crisis in this country of incidents of the creating fear, creating the political dissatisfaction that we're experiencing. A lot of the have has to do with the frustration that nobody seems capable of resolving things of the creating fear, and a lot of that you can only wait at the footsteps of our Congress.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with you on that. I also think it's a good development that a couple of these parents in Michigan are now spending time in jail because they failed to adequately supervise their child. And this situation exactly, and it's just down in Georgia, if I'm not mistaken. I think it was Georgia where apparently this this kid was in a totally dysfunctional house and the father was in effect the uh he was in parenta and prentis loco and in local parentees. I think the mother was out of the picture totally. But maybe he's got to go to jail as well as the kid who who shot and killed his classmates. You know that's this There's got to be some prices to pay. Bill. I got a whole bunch of calls, and I I am so appreciative of your time. I hope you can stick with us for a little bit into the right afternoons, we'll go to phone calls. Okay, this is This has been an invaluable conversation to me. I learned a lot and normally I don't learn is you know, you're so far down the down the track for me on some of these issues like encryption, I had not even thought about that. I wish, I wish the the no no no, I totally get it. And there are aspects of my world probably enough, but but the aspects of your world it's a lot higher stakes. But I think this is an opportunity that when I talk to these members of Congress now that something needs to be done. You put a cell phone in some whack whacky eighteen year olds hands who's able to know that he can contact the kud's forces in Iran and maybe have money deposited somewhere because he's going to do something these Oh my god, there has to be Look, if people want to buy cell phones that they can't get because they're going to fool around with their secretaries or something like that, they got to give that up. Okay, you know, I don't know why anybody wants to if there are cell phones that now have this benefit that Laura. Enforcement can't look at the cell phone of a person who is deceased. It seems to me that the right of privacy of that person who is deceased, who's been involved in the potential assassination of a president has to be waived. But we'll leave the Okay, my acl you friends are going to dislike me even more as because of that comment. My guess, Bill Broughton going to go to phone calls. If you like to join us, you have the numbers, just give us a call back on Night Side.
Speaker 1: Right after this, you're on Night Side with Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: With me is Bill Bratton. Name really doesn't need an introduction, but he is. It's a large forcement legend, I guess would be the way to describe it. Former police commissioner here not only in Boston, but in New York twice in New York Chief of police in Los Angeles. We've touched upon a wide variety of topics. I'll give you an opportunity to ask a question or make a quick comment, but again, he I want to hear his answers as much as I want to hear your questions. Let me go first to Joe and Belmont. Joe, you're on with former police commissioner of a whole bunch of places, Bill Broughton. Go ahead, Joe, God.
Speaker 5: Bless you, Dan and Dan. Nobody does it better than you do.
Speaker 2: Favor. I appreciate that, but I want to have you talk to Bill brought and go right ahead.
Speaker 5: Yes, I have two questions for Commissioner Bill. First, Commissioner Bill, Uh, you talked about the enemy within if you were going to write a special delivery letter to the next president, what checks the balances and what solutions could you offer to stop the enemy within and the fake news? And my second question is, Uh, do you think there's too much secrecy involved in the people who are doing the fake news?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you take the answer off here, Joe. I think the area of fake news or good news is really not Phil Bratton's area. Bill, I'll let you off the hook on that one.
Speaker 3: No, necessarily, Dan, because he was part of what what creates so much of the fear, anxiety, hatred, and I wish there was a resolution to it. But once again, we have a First Amendment in this country, freedom and speech, and a lot of language is even though it appears to be threatening, appears to be hateful, is protected, and it's in many respects allowed to multiply because of the incredible social media world that we have created in the last twenty five years. You figured the smartphones didn't come along to two thousand and six. It's only eighteen years ago. And look at there's eight bay of them in the world today, almost as many as of our people. So that the gentleman's comment about the fake news is it is an element of so much of the concern that we have today, and even in talking about the election, the upcoming president's election, the concern about something we never used to worry about this country, the validity of our election process, and even in the the former presidents concerns or allegations about a higed election. Nobody has been ever to basically prove or find that, but it's still out there as fake news. So it's again, it's an element of our world today that we don't have an answer for because in oposiety in particular, we allow freedom and speech and as long as it does in rise to the level of actually creating a crime, go go at it. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think also the part of the problem is that a lot of Americans, they are in a news cycle a silo, and that they only watch news programming that they are comfortable with and reinforces whatever point of view they have, and I think that has contributed to this as well.
Speaker 3: Because if you're exactly in terms of Fox viewership, MSNBC viewership that I try to basically watch the walls to just get at that. I've always enjoyed the news, I'm sorry to would buy four or five papers New York Times, Terroll's Traveler, the Globe, and you know that's how I stopped my day. But now you can sit there with that smilephone in your hand and basically access twenty to thirty of them. But people still tend to gravitate toward basically the news source that that satisfies their need for information, and they don't bound some on the channels as much as we used to when we were younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would call it the need for reinforcement too, of their beliefs and ideas, you know, of ratification of what they happen to believe in. So yeah, let's let's keep rolling here. Joe, appreciate your question. Thank you very much for the call. Let me go next to out of country, up to Darryl in New Brunswick, Canada. Daryl next on nice side with Commissioner Bill Bratton.
Speaker 4: Hey, how do you Commissioner and how do you Dan? I hope things are well? What I'd like to ask, is we're talking about conflict and all the different geopolitics and what not going on, is North Korea if I can ask the question. My understanding is North Korea is still under truce with the US, and if they're participating with Russia in North to participate in Ukraine, would that not become an active war and that would would that be a problem nowadays as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well again we're getting into the era of international relations there again. I want to if Bill Braden wants the way into that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that that one I'll stay away from because this area of any expertise at all.
Speaker 2: You're correct, Daryl Darryl in that there was never a peace treaty UH signed between the United States and North Korea out of the Korean More UH, and so it technically we are still at war with North Korea. But from a practical point of view, North Korea does a lot of weird stuff. I did read the articles that you talked about, Daryl, that there are somehow some North Korean troops that have are joined with Russian forces on the ground in Ukraine, which to me is.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: I wasn't trying to cause a proble, No, no, no, No, you're.
Speaker 2: Not going to cause it. No, But it's a good question. It's a good question. But I think unless you have one that relates more to what's going on in this country, I'm concerned about the potential of assassination squads. Do you feel Bill that that is overblown or is there something that actually exists?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: In Europe, I do know that.
Speaker 3: It's something of concern to American law enforcement. Once again, the ability to inspire, maybe not necessarily direct, but through the social media. It's kind of how I SES grew as rapidly as it did. Al Qaeda was never basically active on social media, but ICs was, and look at how quickly they grew had their own caliphate for a while. No, so the idea of Iran maybe not necessarily directing an actual assassination of violence effort, but certainly being in a position to encourage it, to inspire it, to provide information about how to do it. And we've seen much, much, a lot of reporting in recent weeks about Iran trying to interfere in our elections. That and you know, that's widely known and understood to be an actual threat in terms of their efforts to try and interfere with the elections that are underway commonly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm I'm actually the stuff that I'm seeing is that Iran has used their agents assassination attempts in Europe.
Speaker 3: And well, that's that is that is known in the sense of whether that rises the level of basically going after one of our presidential candidates, I'm not sure that there's been any ability to actually prove that want of speculation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the suggestion is even former officials in both parties. As I've often said to people, Uh, some of these countries around the world hate us. And one of the reasons that we should be more unified as Americans is that there are countries around the world that hate us. They don't care what gender we are, they don't care what political party we are, they don't care if we root for the Red Sox or the Yankees. They just want to kill Americans. Those guys on the planes that crashed into, uh, into the World Trade centers, uh, you know, one of which flew out of Boston, they didn't take any sort of account on board and say to the people who were most of them, Oh, we're gonna we're gonna land first and let you off. They killed Americans of all backgrounds and faiths because they were Americans or they were in American and and I think that we have forgotten that lesson in my in my opinion, and they feel the same way, Daryl, towards Canadians as well. They see our systems as much more uh you know, much much more secular, as opposed to the the theocracy under which they function. Darryl, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: Well, I'd like to say thank you all for your service. And uh, all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks Darryl, appreciate very much. We have a lot of listeners up in Canada. Bill, I have a few more callers, and I got a few more minutes with you, and I promised to let you go by eleven o'clock. You generously.
Speaker 3: I'm enjoying working on my Boston accent. And again, hearing that accent of north of the border was very interesting.
Speaker 2: Also, Yes, we get a lot of accents. We have people literally from all over the world. I mean, obviously you know as a Bostonian that Z has a great terrestrial radio signal, but we get him from all over the world.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you the Bostonian accent is love when I give my speeches around the country. No, people are people are fascinating, and I have a pretty pronounced one, and it's uh. They're usually very complimentary about it. They like it, which is which is endearing.
Speaker 2: No, I get that I tried a long time ago to learn how to pronounce my rs so I could stay in television and radio.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well it's as you know that it's not the idea that it's the letter. It's a H. We tend to stay a H rather than uh the letter up and so all the jokes about the Boston it's really a H that.
Speaker 2: It was the old park your car in Harvard Yard, exactly.
Speaker 3: Syllable.
Speaker 2: We should have taken declamation or something at uh and I school had been better, but then we would lose our charm as Bostonians. Moving back a Nice Side with Bill Bratton for a few more calls right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I guess this Bill Brett really needs no introduction at this point. Eric in Attleborough. Eric, you're next on Nice. I'd like to get you in at least one more in Please Eric, go right.
Speaker 6: Ahead, Hey, Jan how you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: We do a great I'm running out of time, Go right, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I want to get straight into the point number one. The number one point is that something I found it interesting when someone mentioned fake news earlier on I did a Google search.
Speaker 2: I'd rather ask your question and honest, Erica, I'm not interested in debatings. Uh, you know fake news. Have a question from my guests, please, it's it's a very important guest to me.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I I mean, I'd like to know, you know. I mean as far as Iran being an adversary, I mean who, who, who appoints them as that?
Speaker 3: As such?
Speaker 6: I mean, who has that authority? And why I think they were actions.
Speaker 2: In the Middle East? And again we're getting into into international stuff to hear that. I don't know that this is comfortable for Bill Bratt, and I'm sure he has thoughts personal thoughts on it, but I'm going to let him off the hook on this one. We certainly have seen what Iron has done in terms of taking American hostages some forty four years ago and holding them for four hundred and forty four days right to the bombardment of Israel.
Speaker 6: True but also we've seen I'm.
Speaker 2: Going I'm going to next call to get a question with Bill Brown. Bill, if you want to jump in here and make a comment. I just feel that that that's an area.
Speaker 3: That no, once again they thought try and keep us focused on that areas I concentrate on, which is primarily law enforcement on security.
Speaker 2: I'm happy about that. Let me go to Christy in Manchester, New Hampshire. Christy, you have a question for my guest, Bill Broughton.
Speaker 7: Police, I do, so, what does he feel about bail reform when it results and reoffended people reoffending, so in other words, they're let out bail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know exactly some of the bail funds as law enforcement, I assume that that has to disquiet you. There was a trend in this country to let people out for ansumption of instance is important, but sometimes there are people who were turned back out in the street and by time the police officer, they're out of court and back in the street by time the police officer files this report. Go ahead, Bill.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't speak to what's been going on here in Boston, Massachusetts with any real awareness and knowledge, but certainly in New York, New York City. It's been a disaster. Well intended and well needed reforms of the bail practices in New York, but they went too far to the effect that you can't basically put people in jail. And he worked for some very significant offenses. And the papers in New York every day, the New York Post, for example, almost every day has examples of the failure of the bail reform and issues of the legislature of New York in twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen to raise the age, raising the idea that you go after somebody unless they eighteen years of age for serious crime. Now, New York, a lot of the crises and crime that was created devise and crime and the struggle to reduce crime has been impacted severely by well intended but unfortunately not unexpected negative consequences in terms of I'm sorry, there's bad people in society, and those bad people need to be kept away from the rest of us in New York and its legislature, and some of those political leadership just don't believe that anybody should go to jail, and I'm sorry that some people do need to be in jail.
Speaker 2: That's what well quick follow up question to what Chris has asked, do you feel that the trend in this country where our federal officers, particularly ICE officers, have been almost locked out of cooperation with police departments in major cities by a lot of the progressive politicians does.
Speaker 3: Need Sanctuary cities were once again a well intended idea, but it's gotten out of control to the extent that New York City, for example, really almost precludes in almost every instance, allowing the police to deal with ICE. In terms of dealing with particularly now at the migrant situation, the Venezuelan gangs and now having impact in over twenty American cities and an organized gang coming out of Venezuela. You can't get rid of them because many of the cities a sanctuary cities where the politicians don't allow the police to co op collaborate, collaborate with the federal agencies to get these people out of our seas, get them in a jail, and get them out of the country. So there's a well intended policies that basically have had terrible, terrible consequences.
Speaker 2: Chris, thank you, Thank you for the question. Was an excellent question, and I hope you enjoyed the answer. Thank you so much, Bill Bratt, and I enjoyed our conversation tonight as always. Thank you for the generosity of your time, any response, any night you want, I.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Thanks for the opportunity to refresh my Boston accent.
Speaker 2: Please say hi to your beautiful wife, Ricky school classmate of.
Speaker 3: A few years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Bill brad Well.
Speaker 3: The two of you have done very well after law school, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Well she's done exceptionally well, as did you. I think she I think she may you married up, my friend. Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: If we'll talk I will not argue with you on that one.
Speaker 2: Bill Bradton, thanks very much. We'll talk to and look forward to seeing you.
Speaker 1: Have a good night.
Speaker 3: See you and you're listening to all the best, my best right back at you.
Speaker 2: When we come back. When a little bit long, they apologize, Rob. When we come back after the eleven o'clock news, we're going to the twentieth hour and we're going to talk about traffic etiquette. I think we're going to have some fun