Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Batflips and Nerds, the Baseball podcast with a British twist. I am your host this evening, Ben Carter, and I'm joined on a very hot evening by two other baseball luminaries. First of all, Rob Navera, how are you good?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm yeah. You may notice, for those of you who are watching on YouTube, I have a different background today. It is because I am with cats and new cats have taken over my normal podcasting zone, so I am standing in my spare bedroom trying to work all this out. So but otherwise good. Yeah, it's been a while since I've been on the pod. It's good to see you both.
Speaker 3: It has been a while going on.
Speaker 1: They give us a cat's names because you were just telling us that they are baseball ladies, and if Becky disagrees.
Speaker 2: Well, so I mean they're called Chicago and Tampa and they are ladies. Initially I was going to go for I wanted Carl Clawford and Tyler Glasmiow, but Becky said absolutely not, that's ridiculous. So she suggested, what about places we've been? So I said, Francisco and Diego like really cool cat names. But i've fortunately it turned out to be ladies, not offortunately fortunately they're wonderful cats, they turn out to be ladies. So I went with I said, what about Hilda and Ethel? Because I quite like old lady names for cats. And then she went back to, oh, what about the places we've been? Because she hated Hilda and Ethyl, So we settled on Tampa and Chicago. What Becky doesn't know is that Tampa's middle name is long Ago. But secret Squirrel, I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we're going to come back to a lot more catch Out in future. It's a good job John's not here. It would be an entire podcast dedicated to catch.
Speaker 3: Out, I fear.
Speaker 1: But joining the two of us is russall Eesam, who I think is maybe a little bit boozed up after after the pub from from the math work drinks.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Russ?
Speaker 4: I'm doing good. I'm ready to spit fire. And what we what we've missed talking on? It's it's been a it's been been a while, and it's been been a few beers. So I've got some opinions and he's gone.
Speaker 1: Takes were too hot for the in net to handle, and so am I, well, a great start to the pot.
Speaker 3: Can you tell where Russy?
Speaker 1: We lost Russ for a minute there, but we do, we think have him back now, And yeah, we've got lots of baseball to chat through. Some pretty exciting news that dropped. I'm trying to remember when it was now, was it Sunday night or Monday night? Of course, the raphaile Devs trade, which I think we're going to get into first and talk about a little bit, and then cover off a few topics at the end, including Bob's trip that we're going to hear about and any other baseball lated stuff that you guys want to talk through. But yeah, let's start with the topic du jour, the rafaile Dev's trade to San Francisco from Boston bombshell. I think we'd he'd been a topic on almost every podcast we've done this season for one reason or another.
Speaker 3: Through his clear sort of fallout.
Speaker 1: With a Red Sox front office that was manifesting itself in various ways in public. But I don't think anyone really saw this coming out of the blue, him being sent to San Francisco for a small cadra of prospects for players coming back the other way. Including Kyle Harrison, left handed pitcher who was at one time at a top prospect in Jordan Hicks, who people will know as the guy who throws the ball very very fast but doesn't really know where it's going. So obviously, I guess, first question, who won the trade? Do you guys have a strong view on whether the Giants have fleeced the Red Sox? The Red Sox have fleeced the Giants? Russall come to you first? Is there a winner? Or am I stupid for asking that question? Obviously, yes, I guess it's been a week since the trade.
Speaker 4: Now there's only one winner. It's a San Francisco Giants. Basically, the Red Sox have bungled this beyond belief. This sort of trade never happens like that. There's it's simplistic like this is as probably one of the single biggest failures that the front office has done in maybe the last twenty years of baseball. But the funniest thing is that the other biggest bungle probably that's happened in Britain in America baseball was Mookie Bett's being traded to the to the Dodgers. Like this Red Sox ownership maybe there have been different people charge, but Sam Kennedy and John Henry are basically have shown that they are incapable of paying a franchise player to stay at their team. Maybe Devas was not the right person that they should have given that franchise deal too. Maybe it should have been Bogots, Maybe it should have been Bets. That's some other parts to do this, but this is a fundamental failure within the Red Sox system that has allowed a player like Rafael Devers to become available. Everybody who is a San Francisco Giants fan is jumping with joy with this. You do not get players that are going to get four to five war become available in trades for multiple seasons like this is. It's not a Luka dontig deal to compare it with some other sports, but it's like it is after the unheard of in baseball for this sort of thing to occur, and there is there is nothing but failure on the Red Sox side. Yes, there are potential talking points to whatever should have done or shire not done, but John and I had conversations with Kyle Body, We had conversations with like Tyler Gill, and we had conversations with others around kind of about how the Red Sox should work, howat how building a culture works, and that so obviously has failed at the Red Sox, that they had to do this deal, and then they had to have that press conference where car Breslo and Simon Kennedy, wh were trying to make it sound like this was a good think There's no way that this is a good thing. So I don't know if either of you saw that press conference from the two of them, but it was so bad that I can now understand while Rafiel Devers has had issues communicating with these individuals up to this point because seemingly neither of them really know how to talk to human beings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a timing I think was also bizarre in that the Red Sox had just swept the Yankees. Devas had just hit a very important home run in helping him achieve that sweep. Vibes were maybe for the first time or season high in Boston.
Speaker 3: Prospects had just been called up.
Speaker 1: Things seemed to be on the up for them, and then this happens, and we very rarely see superstars get traded full stop, but very very ready to then get traded mid season, Rob were you as shocked to everyone else when this news happened? What was your instant reaction to it? And now the dust have settled a little bit, what are your thoughts a shock?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, now, I would say there was always going to be something that was going to happen here. Clearly people weren't happy. There had to be a resolution. I think we all probably thought what would eventually happen is Devers is gonna gonna begrudgingly play first base for the Red Sox. I don't think anybody had on their on their bingo card devas happily playing first base for the Giants instead. I mean with the Giants says an element of will take him, We'll take him, you know, like they've been desperate, desperate for a big, big player for a while. So you know, if you actually think about it, where else would he have landed? Know that this is spot on, This is exactly where he probably should have gone. But yes, it's a failure. It's a failure in one sense in that that this team should have Raffi Devers for years because he's a fantastic hitter. I think the computer has clearly spit out numbers here, which is saying, we don't want to pay two hundred and fifty million dollars to a DH who may not be any good in five of his nine years remaining. It's a spreadsheet deal, you can see it. It's it's gone spreadsheet. What they haven't factored, and of course is is the Raffi Devers of it all. And the guy is the guy is a special hitter. You know, he doesn't he doesn't conform to the numbers, you know, he is, He's a bit better than that. So yeah, shocking, it is. It is shocking. Absolutely. However, this car crash of a communications saga with the Boston Red Sox was always going in tears for either Raffi Devers or for Craig Breslow or both, you know, And a little part of me is saying, is this Craig Breslow balls up? Or is this a Craig Breslow playing a master plan that he was told to play by John Henry. Piss him off, make him go. You know, I don't doubt he had no trade clauses in his in his deal, so has he been told to piss him off enough that he needs to go? Was this Craig Breslow's balls up or was this I'm going full on conspiracy theorist here, but was this the plan all along? I don't know. Nobody sorry coming though, but there had to be an out here, and essentially both of these guys weren't going to be with the Red Sox for long. Breslo may still not be with the Red Sox for long, but it had to finish.
Speaker 1: I think he didn't have a no trade clause, weirdly because almost all of those contracts do, but I think Devers didn't for whatever reason, so he could have gone anywhere in theory. But yeah, the Giants made the most sense for a lot of reasons. They've been trying to acquire a superstar hitter for several years of free agency without really imagine to get there, hadn't they So for them, obviously a huge move and the knife in the back for the Red Sox. I guess Russ is that in his very first press conference, Devers comes out and said he's happy to play first base starts taking ground as their pre game before his first game, clearly exactly that. You know, it was upset with the Red Sox, not necessarily with the request. But the way they went about it, and what I find slightly puzzling is like for like a spreadsheet guy maybe as you called them, Rober, I'd understand it where someone who wouldn't have that empathy for being a player. Greig Breslow was a player, Like he understands what it's like to be in a clubhouse. He understands what it's like to be a guy who's involved in these deals and to understand the importance of communication.
Speaker 3: How has this happened with him?
Speaker 1: Like you say, Russ, he just seems robotic in the way that he communicates, And I can't quite understand how you would have that view as a former player. But yeah, it doesn't look great for them right now, especially with the whole Devils now seemingly open to playing first base.
Speaker 4: I think what you get at is the fact that players are very different. Like Breslo was a Yale graduate before kind of coming into baseball. That is a very different way of operating mentally and as an individual to get to there before we even kind of by coming into baseball, he has brought in consultancy firms which have taken this team from having virtually even number of scouts and analysts to having four x the amount of analysts and they have scouts. Now, I'm going to tell you that analytics is a good way to run baseball, but you have to have the quality side to what's going on. There are things that you cannot quantify to work out how things going on. And for baseball deals, like the annoying thing that I've seen a lot of people report is that like, oh, yeah, the back end of this contract is doesn't look good. The back end of every major contract doesn't look good because you're paying for this player to be good now and you deal with the consequences of them being bad later. Also, there's a certain thing that you don't understand. A lot of them seem to understand. That's called inflation and the fact that basically this contract will not look that bad in five or ten years time because guess what will be on one or two further cbas and so see how much you can pay somebody or the salary cap is going to be much larger than it is right now. And just over the last five ten years of baseball, think how those contracts have gone. But brass Harper was getting like three hundred million Ghan Sodo got seven hundred million. Like this, Deva's contract is not going to look bad come the end of the season. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works that really annoys me with how a lot of people have like reporting on this. Yes, I think that Breslo has shown that either him or Sam Kennedy have just just decided that basically this wasn't the right way to do this. And after Devas had that first round of miscommunication about hey, you're not going to play third base, even though that's basically what hein Bloom and the other people that made that decision, which like Sam would have been one of those people, so we can say that like, oh yeah, like the president of baseball operations have changed, but the person above him and the people below him haven't changed, So those promises should have the same. Like it's just because you have like a different person in he's making those decisions. A lot of that should have sayed the same bad communication one. Then effectively they put him to DH he becomes amazing. They're then like, hey, mate, do you want to go to a first base And it's like, well, actually, you just told me I didn't need to defend so I don't know, like there is a part of me that's saying me like, yeah, you should have maybe gone like, yeah, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna take one for the team here, But maybe that's not who Rapiel devis is. Like I don't know how you guys feel, but I see like people like Big Pappy coming out and being like, oh yeah, Like I've measured devas a long time a lot of times, and he didn't didn't respond to me, and we didn't sort it out. I'm like, dude, you don't play for the Red Sox anymore. You're a freaking media person. You may have been like the face of that franchise anymore, but literally, if I was a player, you can sod off like your opinion matters nothing to what's going on right now. Like you're just coming out here now with basically a pro Boston view on what's going on, because that's what you're there to be, Like, you are a pro Boston guy. You will be a pro Boston guy for your entire media career. That's just the what it is. Like, there's so much that we do not know what's going on. Like to me, reading the reports from like June Lee over the last couple of days that he's put out on your host Sports about just the way that the Red Sox organization works. It sounds like an absolute nightmare to be in. I cannot fathom like parts of what is being talked to us about, like how that organization runs from an analytical perspective. As an analytical person, it would drive mean nuts. And so if it's driving a person who's not analytical, that's then yeah, like it's just not a good place. It wasn't the best place for Devas, and Devas is basically just once he's been given the chance to go somewhere else where he's appreciated and he's gone to the pobosi that himself, and so we get the chance to go to an organization which has gone from hey, we need to be really analytical to like we need to maybe get some feelings into it. And obviously having Bust in charge, he's gone, yeah, you know what, we want to play like this. The only chance we have to get a player like this is this trade or spending what half a billion dollars on Kyle Tucker next year. There's no player like this that's available. So they did the best thing that was a possible for this team, got rid of guys that what are going to be maybe back end starters and relievers, and our prospect that we'll all forget about the next of Jita downs as we say, like, it just makes no sense from the red possible effective apart from we need to dump the salary, we need to restart. We don't want this guy around our young players, and that really to me says to that they did not want to Raffield Devas to have any impact on their young prospects that were coming through.
Speaker 1: Well, I personally didn't have Russell Tell's big puppy to sod off of my Bingo Kotha tonight. Con grasps for the listeners that did, I just wish you get off the fence and she's aside here, I think you're I think you're dead right, and I did enjoy the theory I think tongue in cheek going on social media that Femway Sports Group was shipping the money off the books to help fund Florian Verts joining Liverpool imminently, which is just a great crossover of UK and US sports and culture. I guess the final point on this that again another knife in the back for the Red Sox. I guess where they're playing this weekend, San Francisco, so fans will very quickly get a chance to see there as an action in in the Giants jersey, which should be good fun. And him in the Giants jersey looked a bit weird. So I did task the guys with maybe coming up with a few other players who looked odd wearing new laundry with different teams, different colored pajamas. Rob, I think you've got a few that you were going to sort of start off with. Which guys on new teams did you find most offensive to the eye.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize you said players didn't just have players.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, yeah, yeah, no, take it in different And I had others.
Speaker 2: I'll come back to them, Okay, all right, So I've got one for Russell to start with. I had Josh Naylor playing in Arizona Colors. Just looks weird to me, like he's he's got quite a distinctive face, like and it was he was to someone who's not watching the The The Guardians every day. He kind of was the face of that franchise for the last few years to me. And so, yeah, Josh Naylor playing for the d Backs is a weird look. Did you get that job, Josh, Josh isn't here, Russell.
Speaker 4: No, definitely, I can get that from some of those things. I think from like a from a Cleveland perspective, like you'd be like, he's he's one of those guys that's come through your system, and you're kind of like, yeah, he's gonna be one of those guys, and then when you go see them play with somebody else, it does look look a bit off. I think personally, as someone who quite likes those d Back Cityknect uniforms, it doubly hurts because I'm just like, man, he looks good wearing some of those, like City can X, whereas like our City can X was a pretty freaking boring.
Speaker 2: Who else has got one? I've got several, but you know someone else picked one.
Speaker 3: I've got a few. Were sort of strowing you out in the group with't me? I think Darius suggested both.
Speaker 1: Brandon Crawford when when he joined the Cardinals from the Giants having spent obviusly a long time in San Francisco, that definitely looked weird. I think you maybe then threw out Brandon Belt who I agree, And no, the guy who left the Giants and didn't look right in his new with his new team with the Blue Jays, that was odd. Andrew mccutchon on the Yankees, I'd like completely memory hold that. I think John came up with that one.
Speaker 3: That was weird.
Speaker 1: I always think the Yankees have got a whole section of their owner. A bunch of players on the Yankees that I just don't think looked right. Goldschmidt this year, I'm still getting used to. Anthony Rizzo never looked right. Each row on the Yankees was weird. Donaldson on the Yankees was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Garrett Cody Bellinger, that is that is a weird slide like Dodgers. You like, yet absolutely he fit. Then he went to the Cubs and you were like, this is a bit odd. Now he's hit the Yankees. He's like, no, no, this this this is not a Cody Bellinger team.
Speaker 1: And that definitely was like a facial hair element to it as well, before the new rules instituted of just guys who you always knew is having a beard suddenly being.
Speaker 3: Beardless that that's never looked right. But God, give us a fear of your other ones.
Speaker 4: Rob.
Speaker 2: Justin Turner. Now it's a strange one, this one again because like Dodgers, I mean, Orioles is is. Yeah, that was kind of his origin. But like Dodgers is where we all know Justin Turner from. Somehow he looked okay with the Red Sox, with the Blue Jays, kind of okay with the with the Mariners. But for some reason as a Cub, it just I don't know if it's a color thing with a ginger beard, but like it's just not working for me. I cannot look at Justin Turner as a Cub. I cannot remember that Justin Turner is with the Cubs. If you had to ask me before I started flicking through players looking for this, I would have told you he was still a Mariner. So yeah, I just can't. I can't take Justin Turner as a Cub. Rhys Hoskins like it feels like he's a rental still on the on the Brewers like the guy as a Philly, so he shouldn't be there. I agree totally with John he put in that group as well. Kenny Jansen just just weird. As a Dodger. I thought about Kyle Hendrix, but somehow it just really fits. And I don't know why, but like a thing about that match up, like it shouldn't work, but it does, I think. And then I had the last two. I've got I've got Tommy Famm, but only because his his profile photo with the Pirates, he's looking he's kind of smiling and looking friendly, which, no, that's not right for me. And last, well, Billy the Marlin. Like so, Billy the Marlin came of a time whereby they were in the like the orange, like the colorful Marlin's one. Now they've got the kind of the almost cool and it is. It is a good standard jersey the Marlins jersey. They've got the kind of cool, edgy, kind of the Cuban vibes, you know, with the colors and everything, and that's just not suiting Billy the Marlin. I think Billy the Marlin was supposed to be in like cartoonyan orange colors and his face does not fit the current jersey. So I really can't see Billy the Marlins as a current Marlin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I agree with most of those ones. Hadn't quite thought about Bill Billy the Marlin in uh, for me watching Phoenix Hernandez basically where anything that wasn't at Maredon's journey as he was trying to kind of like continue his career, just Orioles and even Atlanta. I think for a while in spring training it was just it was wrong. It didn't match up. I think I think I said it when Ben was talking about the Yankees, I briefly said, just Donaldson. It didn't work for me, Like I just see him kind of like wearing wearing that blue like that that that whole entire time. There's no one as a Cleveland fan and and maybe as a as a questionable character, but yeah, selpweg probably wearing Cleveland gear to a lot of people seems like a completely wrong thing. He is as an he's an LA player like through and through. It would be the same way of like everyone, it's never gonna happen. But there was always that talk about Kershaw like, oh, going back maybe to like the Rangers for a season, it would just be so wrong. And and as the same thing where even when he look with Berlander, he seemingly has gone everywhere that he wears orange. So it just about still looks okay to kind of like fit fit with the vibe, but there are there are so many guys. I think then if you guys have watched Charlie Morton wearing orange, I don't like it, mainly because he's been pitching really bad at the same time, whether like the color as a has has really has really funked him.
Speaker 2: Up, but he was famously an orange I know, but it.
Speaker 4: Just doesn't like you have these different ideas about like when we've all like started to watch baseball, or whether where we got to these points where I remember this player being X, Like there are gonna be times where it's gonna be like, yeah, you know, like pooholes, like what what what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Where do you think that he plays or whatever, and you're just kind of like, well, actually, like the more that I remember is the terrible end of the career because I didn't really start watching baseball while he was actually good. Even like the same with like Miguel Cabrera. It's like I remember them being bad players, not good players because I missed I missed that part of their career. So you just have an idea in your head of like this person fits this, and as soon as they go somewhere else, you're just like no, like to me, Corey Kluber wearing anything that was in a Cleveland jersey was just was an outrage when we when we traded him, like Michael Brantley wearing an Astro's jersey really annoyed me for quite a while before I got round to the fact that kind of like, yeah, I still like him because he's a good player, but it just felt wrong. He was the guy that I'd watched be a Cleveland guy for like six years and then go see him wear another jersey just it felt ick ick.
Speaker 2: Totally on trend with the young the young, and.
Speaker 1: I think it's definitely a cascode as well. The guys who just were rentals for a few months that you kind of forget ever played for that team. Like I think Tom called out Cesspadas for the Red Sox. That's one that, Yeah, it's weird to think about. I still sort of forget that Howwie Bayer's paid for the Mets for a few months. There are a few of those guys who just sort of popped up in the uniform that five years later you look back like, huh, I forgot that ever happened. Anyway, Please do send in any of your own thoughts. Dear listeners, if you have any young guys that looked weird in other uniforms, we be happy to hear them in quite out some of the best.
Speaker 3: Ones on our next podcast.
Speaker 1: Should we go on to some of the other news going on around the league, Let's maybe start with you know what, Let's go to you, Rob and let's hear about your adventures, and then we can get into some of the other news. I want to hear about your trip that actually probably wasn't that recent now, but we haven't speaken to you since it was like.
Speaker 2: A month ago. Now. Yeah, sure, I was at the same time as Russell was there, and you've all heard Russell's stories many weeks ago. I was fortunate enough to board a plane and Heathrow and fly over to Los Angeles very briefly and hopped on a twenty two minute flight to San Diego, which Greta Thunberg would not have enjoyed. Twenty two minutes in the air like I've never seen a distressed air stewardess launched bottles of water at someone down a aisle quite so quickly like that before. But yeah, twenty two minutes in the air, and then I landed in San Diego, and my god, what a place. If you are looking to go to a city which is not of the team that you currently follow, I cannot rate San Diego high enough. Absolutely phenomenal city, beautiful city, fantastic nightlife, really good to look at, like the touristy crap is top notch as well. You will will not have a better time than if you go to San Diego. I really really cannot tell you how good that place was. And the ballpark, too, is such a part of the city. It is really built in. The fan base is loyal, it's friendly, It's aggressively on the side of the padres, yet it is still somehow friendly and welcoming. The colors are spread through the town, really really town, the city really really really brilliantly. And the ballpark it's just sort of nestled right in the middle of kind of the touristy bit and where it kind of connects onto the nightlifey bit. And what a ball park. Absolutely beautiful, beautiful, beautiful place to watch baseball. It was it was It was super brilliant, I mean partly brilliant. Has it raised one all the games whilst I was there, I didn't hurt. They got Gallagher Square behind the behind the big screen in the outfield, which is which is just like you just walking around the stadium and it suddenly opens up and you feel like you're back out in the street again, but you're still within the confines of the ballpark, and it's this huge area just for people to just kind of hang out and have a drink and have some fun. Absolutely beautiful city, I will say, though. They put fireworks on at the end of the second game. I was there, and you know, like you go if you if you've been to a Major League baseball park where they put fireworks on, you normally sit in the stands and then you look somewhere well beyond beyond center field they have fireworks going off. No no, no, no, no no no. They put the fireworks roughly on on second base, and so never have I seen sort of forty thousand people cowering from the explosions happening seemingly feet from their face. It was shocking, or like, you know, you left knowing that you've been at a fireworks displayed. There was no doubt about that. It was awe inspiring. But my God, what a town. Absolutely fantastic place to watch baseball.
Speaker 3: If either of you.
Speaker 2: Ever had had the luck to go to San Diego at all, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was there last year, actually, but I would cosign everything you said. I would also say compared to because we did San Diego and Los Angeles last year, compared to La especially, but I think a lot of American cities. San Diego is shockingly walkable, Like you don't have to have a car to get around, which was refreshing because so many places. Yeah, they look at you funny if you say you want to walk places, as we found San Diego, you can basically get everywhere on foot if you're willing to put some steps in. So and the food there was amazing. I mean you're right on the Mexican border, amazing Mexican food. Like we loved it as a city. And yeah, like you say that, the ballpark's built in so well, amazing views, friendly people, suns always shining. I really don't know why we left, but it was great, So yeah, co sign.
Speaker 2: And then from from the sublime to the ridiculous, we left. We left San Diego, brief stopover in Atlanta, didn't manage to get to a ball game there, but you know, Atlanta is Atlanta five whatever. Then we went to we went down to Tampa. I thought, you know, this is my chance to go and see Steinbrenner Field, and my god, won a pile of crap. Honestly, Yeah, you've been to spring training. I've been to spring training places before, absolutely I have been. I went to see the Look, it's not the facility. The facility isn't the problem, and this is nobody's fault because the Rays were put in this situation with the Dodgy roof that they're having to play these games here. However, when you go to spring training, it is early to mid March. Now, I did not go late in the year. I went mid May, and my god.
Speaker 3: The heat.
Speaker 2: It is insand there is a very very good reason they do not play baseball outdoors in Florida in the summer. It was insane like that. The stadium. The stadium is fine. The Rays have done a decent job of turning this small, very clearly a minor league ballpark into something that can can look There was no cues. Everyone managed to get in properly despite it being sold out every night all the concessions. There was no major cues form like they they've done a decent job. You know, they put buses on to get you in. You know, the car parking is very close. Can't fault any of that. But you just cannot play baseball outdoors in Florida in this heat. Like I was sat there for the night game, Like the night game was was sufferable from about you know, the fifth or sixth inning, like you could start to sort of okay, like I'm starting to feel human again.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I went to a day game on a Thursday, And if you were to go back and look at it on TV and look at any of the raised day games, bear in mind they have sold out like all but three of their three of their games so far, there was no nobody in the stands because even the locals by the middle of the second were like, I can't sit here anymore. It is ridiculous. So my advice would be, if you are if you're going to Steinbrenner Field because you fancy going and seeing because it's a novelty, it's a one off, absolutely do it. But my god, go at the night game. It is insane. During daytime they are handing out free free drink, free water because it was too hot. They were handing out free suncream like they knew this was a problem, but there was sod all they could do about it. And there was no roof, there was no shade. You could not get ten thousand people in the shade in that stadium.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was insane, so great. But my god, just just just going a night game, because you know, I am a ginger fellow. Don't get me wrong, I don't suffer the heat well, but this was otherworldly. Other worldly. Do not go into daytime.
Speaker 1: As someone who's unaware, I suppose of the geographical challenges at the Ray's face at their old stadium. It's interesting you mentioned they've sold out of every game. Is it location wise? Is it a massive upgrade on Tropicana Field? I mean, what is that the kind of place you think they should be base full time if they were to, I don't know, have a roof for something to prevent the sun getting in.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Now, when you say they've sold it every game, I will I will cavey at that I went to. So the first game I went to was a game against Royals. Also, all of the games I went to in Florida. The Rays lost and lost badly, so that wasn't fun to start with. But it was a game against the Royals and they had a I guess they didn't know about it in advance. There was a there was some kind of country music fair on the parking field where we're supposed to park our cars, so they decided us to park further down the road. It's it's it's all surrounded by the Raymond James, the Raymond James Stadium, which is the Tampay Buccaneers enormous cathedral of a stadium, and this is a tiny, timey little ballpark on the side of it. So you park in the foot football ones and the football stadium parking is all around the stadium, which is enormous, so they use the ones that are closest to the ballpark. Now that one had this country music festival on, so we had to walk twenty it's in you know, blazing heat to get back to the cars afterwards. So as a result of that, they offered four free tickets and free parking to anyone who attended the game. So I think the Rays are doing an awful lot of this to fill those stands out of the minute. And I think this may have something to do with with the ownership situation. And look, it's fantastic here in Tampa. We sell all the tickets all the time, so I think there's a little bit of that going on. But is it a better place to go? The area itself is sort of dusty scrub lund. There isn't an awful lot around that specific area. But if you are traveling from the rest of Florida, you are you are chopping forty five minutes on a good day off of the trip, and with with the bridges, if you come out of a game at the Trap, it's it's probably closer an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is the right place to put baseball in Tampa Bay, actually in Tampa rather than some Pete and Pete is a great place to go and visit and sit on a beach and have a have a you know, Pina Colada and look over some beauty visitas of the gold from Mexico. But it probably not a plays for a baseball stadium. So yes, absolutely they should be putting that stadium in into Tampa proper and they will sell better. They will sell better, guaranteed.
Speaker 3: I'll playignorance again. Then where are we with the stadium?
Speaker 1: What is do you know anything about where they're planning to play next year? Is their genuine chance they're going to be moving? Is the plan still to renovate Tropicana and fix the roof? What where are we with that?
Speaker 2: So next year? So essentially the some Peak Council is obliged to fix the Trup part of the deal. So originally the Rays were going to be out after twenty twenty seven, but that was requiring that the stadium was available to play in every year of the deal. So now that they've not been able to play in twenty twenty five, that extends by a year on the end. So the council is fixing the roof of the Trup. They absolutely will be back next year. They are aiming to have it done by the by opening day. I think you'll probably see the race playing somewhere else for the beginning of the stadium beginning of the season, but they will. They will likely be back in the Trup at some point next year. The deal that they had on the table was done. That is that is gone, that is that is dead in the water, that is there's nothing anymore. You may have seen in reports over the last few days that a letter of agreement has been signed or a letter of interest has been signed for selling the raise. Stustoneberg is finally looking to get out. I think an awful lot of this, this stadium deal dying and making a go of Tampa and filling that stadium up. I think an awful lot of that will will be something that has been in the background for this potential deal going for quite a while now. So the new guys are looking to keep it in Florida. The deal is led by a guy from Jacksonville who's a property developer, but the rest of the people on the deal with the money, they are Tampa guys. So I would imagine the Tampa bay Rays will stay in Florida. Where in Florida, I don't know. But it's the question of the short term is the difference now? So long term, yes, they're going to be around. Someone is gonna get a stadium deal bit Orlando, b it Jacksonville be at Tampa. Goodness knows. But what we do beyond the end of the twenty twenty eight season, that is a real question. Right now, do you, as a fan of the team.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that like this sale is happening because he's been forced out by the m ORB ownership group, Because to me, it's like there aren't many owners that basically had a billion dollar of worth investment from like local areas to build the stadium, then effectively lost that deal or renegged on that deal and is now in a position where I'm like, I feel that like this is like we're not quite Washington National's territory, where effectively m ORB have just gone like, yeah, you know what, fuck off, Like you are not fit to basically be in charge, Like you are going to make it worse with how what you've done. Sell it, take your money, get somebody new into sort this out, because it's clear that you're not going to do it. It's something that personally, I've feel that we might see for John Fisher in a year or two when it's clear that he's not going to be able to get anything built in Las Vegas because guess what, nothing has been signed off on any of that yet. But I feel that like this is actually more of an MLB being sell the team than him wanting to sell the team.
Speaker 2: It could well be there's a few things here. Number one, as a fan, you understand watching all of the stars of that team walk out. The door has been horrible over the years. Likewise, since two thousand and eight when it took over the rays of the third most successful team in major leagues. You know, only the Yankees and the Dodgers have won more games than them since two thousand and eight. So look's something I'm right, absolutely it has, so you know, be careful what we wish for. Like a lot of success has come and it may not be the way we've always wanted to see it, but it's happened. You know, there's something going on there now. When it comes to is this a jump or push situation, a lot of people said that this deal suddenly dying in in St. Pete just didn't make any sense, that why is he just he's he just killed this in You know, I would imagine that there was an awful lot going on with with rumors of sales long before we've heard about it, and I would say more than a couple of other people in this billionaires group saying stop it, we don't like it, go and do something else, sell your team. I think it's much more likely that that he got wind of some guys who are interested in buying his team, but not with now These are property developers as well, may I add, not with the noose of a new stadium, not on their their property, land around their neck. So I would I would be very surprised if the deal didn't come before the death of the Tampa deal and the push out from MLB is is likely to be very very good.
Speaker 1: A little detour into the world of Tampa Bay rais and politics.
Speaker 3: I suppose it sounds slatly promising.
Speaker 1: No, Hopefully they can get somewhere with the sail and they can find a more permanent home going forward. But we'll see many full storms in the last few years, haven't they been. We've managed to go along way. In his podcast is a saying the name show Hey o Tani. I feel like we have to cover him off, don't we. He's good, very good, and he's back to doing the two things he's good at, being hitting and now pitching. Got on the mound for the first time as a Dodger, first time in eighteen months or so last week or started this week, pitched one inning, touched one hundred miles an hour. It is effectively doing his rehab in the Major's right, because they're never going to send to the miners to rehab because they need to bat in the line every day. So it makes for a strightly strange situation where he's presumably going to ramp up his pitches over the next four or five weeks, and it sounds like the plan is for him to just pitch once a week rather than you know, enter a five day rotation. But Russ exciting to see him back. I think any time we get him doing both is really exciting. Even if it's going to be, you know, a slightly lower level than it was pre Tommy John, still good to see him up there and looking as sharp potentially as he did pre surgery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like there's it's a fundamental reason why we call show you Atani a unicorn, like he's he should be mythical, No one should be able to do this. Everybody else he's played baseball in the last twenty years has been completely, nutterly not capable of hitting at a good level and pitching at a good level. So seeing this it is always awesome. I'm kind of a little bit waiting for him to kind of get three or four innings under his belt, get to the point where he's actually probably gonna pitch eighty hundred pitches a game before I'm gonna get truly excited, Like, hey, by now he's got a nine era that's not particularly good, but it's.
Speaker 2: It's one inning of baseball.
Speaker 4: And if somebody would have come in and be like, oh, this guy's supposed to be like the one of the best pitchers in the baseball it's like, well, yeah, he's doing this thing that's different to everybody else. Because he actually does this, it's a little bit tiring sometimes to be like, oh, yeah, we have to think about Otanian differently to everybody else, Like by doing this one inning pitch, he's basically helped the Dodgers because he will be next season a a two way player and be allowed to do that sort of thing. You have to remember that MLB literally changed their rules multiple times to accommodate Attorney, and so we want to see this be at his best. We want to see Atani pitching one hundred miles an hour, striking guys out, hitting home runs in the same game. Personally, I kind of want to see you Atani in the field and this is also one way that kind of like that makes that like less likely to happen, because it's just like what, he's actually a good picture and he's allowed to stay in there's a dh in the games, then we're not really going to see that, but it's awesome to see. I think we're probably quite lucky that the Raphael Devas thing happened when it did, because otherwise, literally all we would have talked about this week was like the twenty odd pitches that Ottani threw, and no one else, nothing else would have been important. I've seen some conversations from a few of my friends who live out in Japan, and literally, if you want to find any other news about baseball or MLB, you have to sift through like one hundred and sixty articles on no Tani throwing like one inning of baseball. So we love him. He's amazing right now, it doesn't really mean anything like they're literally warming him up to the point where he's probably not even gonna be useful before the All Star Game. They're really basically looking to ramp him up towards the end of the season to the point that he's actually a good picture when it comes to the playoffs. Like we know the Dodgers will make the playoffs, we know that there is potentially like five of ten arms which they might use as starters when it comes to the playoffs. We hope that Atani is one of them. We also hope that like Sasaki and Snell and Glasnow are part of those as well. Across from right now, as much as I know he's a great player, we've got kersher and his questionable politics being like the people who are out there like picking up the innings and yeah, you know what, like he had the moment, I'd rather you'd be passed on and suppressed, I mean, surpassed by the younger generation. Suppressed probably as well.
Speaker 1: He might have feared Atarney that his you know, job as a two way player was being taken from him by key Hey Hernandez. Every time I look at social media, Henandi's is back on the mound, mostly giving up enormous stingers in games.
Speaker 4: We pitched where they actually actually bring in banda after him, Like I think in the first two or three times that he pitched, when they were winning, he got the outs, and then I think the third time they actually had to then bring in a picture because he gave up like five runs in the inning, so like him wearing the helmet is absolutely hilarious and seeing all of it is top notch comedy as far as I'm concerned, And it is a bigger f you than beaning one of the various Padres or Dodgers as they've been doing, like in in their series against each other. Being able to put a positional player out when you're winning, that is the truest kind of like f you to to any team that you can do.
Speaker 1: It's certainly a great I can't I'm looking like my do not find him, I'm gonna say on TARNI. I guess my fear is that maybe we've seen the last of him as a full time picture just because he's so valuable as a hitter to the Dodgers that they're never going to over exert him on the mound, just because why were they when they've got, you know, an eight nine win player when he's healthy just hitting and they don't really need him to try and overextend himself just to just to be able to show that he can still do it. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope we do still see seasons where you know, he can get up to one hundred, one hundred and fifty innings pitched alongside his amazing hitting and do the kind of stuff that we did see for a couple of years with the Angels, But that that would be My fear is that the Dodgers think the sensible thing to do is actually start to ramp him down on the pitching side.
Speaker 3: But am I just being a pessimist? Rob Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably. I will also add just quickly here Kike Hernandez currently has the exact same ra show. It's fine, that's fun. Ah, No, you're not being a kill joy. It's it's the inevitable decline that we all know is eventually going to happen. You know, we all knew that eventually Mike Drout would have to give up center field and shift over, and we didn't want to see it. But here it is, it's happening. Yes, Otanni's not going to be Pete o'tani forever. I think the bloke is looks like the picture of fitness and health, and you know, if you're going to put your money on someone doing it for a while, you'd certainly putting on him. However, it's not gonna last forever, of course, it's not. We need to cherish every single moment of this whilst we got it. Eventually they're going to have to wind him down. Like this guy is an He's a better hitter than he's a picture. Like he is a good pitcher. Don't get me wrong, he is a fantastic picture, but he is an absolutely exceptional hitter. There is going to come a point where it is going to be very, very obvious that the pitching is taking away from the hitting and they're going to have to stop. Now. I hope this is five, six, seven, eight years in the future, but it will eventually come. Of course it will. And you know, you gotta trust that a decent claim, a team like the Dodgers are gonna realize the value in his hitting and eventually they're gonna say, Yep, enough's enough. We're gonna have to do it now. And you know what, I am still gonna love watching show Tani hit because because the dudes and adonis. He's great to look at, first of all, but also the way he plays is brilliant. So yeah, absolutely like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: The thing is that there's there's more than just being a starting pitcher, Like if it gets to the point where they're just like, yeah, you know what, Like we sacrifice too much for you being a starting pitcher, and you have the DH maybe a little bit less because you can't keep up with all of the wear and tear. Like I definitely remember the last few times that like Attani was pitching and dhing, Like when he was in like the sixth or seventh inning, he looked absolutely shattered going out there to to hit again. But hey, like, does Otani become a leverage guy? Does Otani become the Dodgers closer? Like these are all like wonderful things that we can think of some point, because hey, we know that he can throw one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 3: We know that he can.
Speaker 4: Throw some of the best stuff in baseball. If he can't do it over six or seven innings, he could definitely do it over one or two or three. So, like, there are plenty of other ways for the Dodgers to use Showotanni and use what he has compared to everybody else, and simplistically, probably from the analytical perspective, just being able to get forty innings out of Otanney and not have to send someone down and send someone back up like fifteen times during the season. But the Dodgers in a much better perspective than probably losing his ops for four or five or maybe ten games a season. These are the things that like clup Oup like not the clubhouses will think of, but this is something that the front offices are going to think of that he just saves so much effort from actually being able to have that extra player who can pitch. So I think we'll see him pitch for quite a long time into this contractor just because of how well it will help the Dodgers from so many other perspectives.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, however, we also need like I certainly am guilty of sometimes forgetting that show here, Tani had an entire career before he came and started playing in the majors. And the guy is about to turn thirty one already, and god knows, I'd love to be thirty one again. But that is the age when things start hurting and don't stop hurting when you get up in the morning. So you know, again, his body is probably many many years younger than the thirty one I was, but it's it's not as far off in the distance as perhaps it would seem for some young starlet that we've seen six years of And he's only still twenty eight, you know, So it's going to come up sooner than it's going to creep up on us, and all of a sudden, we're going to be staring this in the eye. Think, and God, he's only just got here and we're already starting to talk about declines like we are right now.
Speaker 1: God, why don't we even bother following the sport are doing anything so meaningless we'll get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's never.
Speaker 2: Rise to riga mortis or whatever inevitable. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, we're all gonna die. Everyone, Happy Happy Thursday.
Speaker 3: It screw you, big puppy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I didn't really have much else on my agenda for today. Are there anything else you guys want to call out? I do think it's fun that the two teams are the best records in baseball right now are the Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs. Don't think anyone would have seen that coming at the start of the season. I personally, I think said the Tigers were going to be rubbish. So hop my hands up on that one. Not the only bad take I had but anything from you guys on what you've watched in the last month that you want to quickly call out before we call it a day.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoying the Yankees six game losing streak, but that's probably just a petty me thing really more than anything else.
Speaker 4: For me, I'm the constant back and forth between is the Ale Central good or is the Ale Central bad? We at the start of the season where I was like, Yeah, none of these teams APO from Detroit are good, and then they all played well for a month, and now they've all played badly for a month. So it's like, are any of these teams actually good? Like someone is going to sneak in a freaking five hundred record in the AL I think, and get into the wild card, like we've had the ineavibility of the Houston Astros being like the best team in the AL West. Yankees are far and away the best team, although the six game losing street really impacts it. And I don't think anybody's touching Detroit in the middle. But are you are you? Are you really picking anybody out of like Toronto and the Tampa and Boston and the Twins, the Royals, the Mariners, like there's a big, big load of ick there in the middle of the AL, which is just like, I kind of don't think any AL team is going to beat an NL team when it comes to a World series right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see the Guardians are doing Guardians things. Thirty seven and thirty five with a negative twenty three run differential.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, be like five and one against the Reds or whatever. Loser gets swept by the Mariners and then currently win two games out two against the Giants, so it's like, yeah, let's just lose to the bad teams.
Speaker 2: And obviously, yeah, I will say the Rangers are probably a bit lower than there than they they should be, and they've gone a little bit under the radar. But other than that, I mean you just look at the run differentials and they're sort of all kind of playing out as you'd expect. So it's all a bit in the AL. The is a lot more fun. Maybe we should watch more of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And now it does look fun, doesn't it, especially that that wild card racing is gonna heat up nicely. Orioles, they are dead and buried, aren't they. I Mean, the Rays really put the stake in them last night. Was it eight nil they were winning and then twelve unanswered the other way. I keep waiting for them, that was an awful lot of fun. Keep waiting for them to turn this round to that. It's just not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Is it Deadenbury?
Speaker 1: As you absolutely say, speaking of delan Bury, my Rockie is four game win streak, shout out.
Speaker 3: It's not over till it's over.
Speaker 2: Could still quote from from their manager about you know, October is a long way off?
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 2: I swear I saw that somewhere online today.
Speaker 1: I think I think that was a fake quote, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me. Oh, I think I still love them, Maskie speaking.
Speaker 4: I think it was part way through last month when everybody was joking that like Scottish Scheffler had won more wins over like three weeks than the Rockies did, and then they won like three games in the row and they were like more wins than the Scottish Scheffler.
Speaker 3: Baby, It's just like, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what, Like I did a social media team doing a victory lap for winning one series, but they had so much ammunition in the clip for every single series they'd lost to the last three months and they just emptied the whole lot on the Marlins at once.
Speaker 4: Dude, they like what it's still averaging thirty plus thousand people to a game at Denver.
Speaker 3: I don't like.
Speaker 4: It's basically seemingly just like the greatest hangout spot in Colorado because people just go and enjoy themselves. So like they've worked out, they don't actually have to win baseball to put a product out there that people will come and watch. So yeah, you know what, people are just gonna go enjoy it.
Speaker 1: So you do get the the sad thing where when the Yankees came to town, the crowd was like ninety percent Yankees fans and every Yankee hit is getting cheered and every Rocky strikeout is getting which in your home stadium not a great look, but hey, bombs bombs in seats is something, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Have the Yankees got the stive Brenderfield yet, Rob?
Speaker 2: I think yes, Yes, they did really early on, I think, and they they lost, so that was fun. They've done a really good job of covering up all the Yankees there. The one thing that you can still see is the end of every row has a Yankees logo on the end of it. Other than that they have covered up everything down to the urinal, so you know, well done, well done marketing team.
Speaker 3: You thought that ran would the one thing they wouldn't cover.
Speaker 2: Up gives on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Anyway, let's wrap it up there.
Speaker 1: I said, we don't have much talk about today, and I think we've ended up wunning post to an hour, so as always, we found things to talk about along the way. Thank you both for for for joining me and talking through a little bit at baseball today. For listeners, do you make sure you check out the website bapletpsnose dot com. That's a great content going up on there. Gavin the team doing an excellent job keeping it updated. Do follow us on socials x, Instagram, TikTok, obviously YouTube. Now all of our pods are going on to you can watch us blabber away rather than just listen, so make sure to do that and we'll be back with you very shortly for a new episode. Thanks for listening, goodbye,