Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So I went to a parents' weekend at my son's college this past weekend. He's going to school at Alabama. So took the whole family to Tuscaloosa to go visit my younger kids, to go visit their big brother, and for wife and I to go visit our oldest son. And it's interesting because when you meet there's tons of parents there from all over the country and going to see their kids. And so when you're having small talk with people and they find out you're from Dallas, what do.
Speaker 1: You think they want to talk about? JFK. Luca.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Luca, that's it.
Speaker 1: It's Luca. It's so much Luca. It's like, hey, what what happened on that Luca thing? Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: No? Seriously, I'm just are they moving the team to Vegas?
Speaker 5: You should have just said yes. I mean I would have lied to every single.
Speaker 1: One of them. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 5: Say they're moving the team to Vegas. Say yes, they're moving the team to Vegas? Did you not hear?
Speaker 1: Nothing makes sense to anyone.
Speaker 2: And then you tell them and then they're like, hey, but seriously, so he's they traded He's twenty five?
Speaker 1: When they trained like, yeah, yeah, I know, I know, yeah, I don't know what to.
Speaker 5: They're moving the team to Vegas. I just told you that they're moving the team to Vegas and they're.
Speaker 2: Trying to win, now, right, I'm like, yeah, well they want to win in Vegas.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: It was. It was painful, man, it was so painful. Why don't you just tell him you don't follow basketball? Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 2: But still every single person Dallas, huh, I should need to say I wasn't from Dallas.
Speaker 5: Now say it from Dallas and just say, man, I live in this area called Salina and we and honestly, we don't have a basketball team there.
Speaker 2: Any person that found out I was from DFW was gonna want to talk about Luca. It's just it's amazing, man, it is. It's it's hard to escape. You know what you can do?
Speaker 1: Who do you think the Cowboys gonna take? Yeah, cout switch over the cowboys. Cowboys. It's brutal, it's brutal. But there was something that happened.
Speaker 2: So I was We're at this big bar and we met some people who were neighbors of the great John Daniels and so their whole family is talking to us about Dallas sports. And so we're talking Dallas sports and their daughter is there with them, and she's seventeen, and she comes over. She goes, oh, she's talking to this big group of people with us. She goes, okay, so you guys.
Speaker 1: You know JD. We're like, yeah, JD's great.
Speaker 2: She goes, oh my god, yeah, like the best right, like back to back world series.
Speaker 1: And so I was like, oh my gosh. She's seventeen.
Speaker 2: She knows a little bit about sports, and she knew JD's daughter, and so she goes, you guys have a brewery too, is that right? So she's asking because her dad knows a lot about it, okay, And so I was like, yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 2: And she goes, so, what's the why'd you guys decide to do that? And so I start telling her and you know, there's a big group of people and she's seventeen, she's seventeen. Wow, And she's asking me great questions and so and her big brother is, you know, one of my son's good friends and so. And then I also happened to know the dad, one of the few dads that actually knew prior to going there. Gotcha and uh. And they were neighbors of JD, so they.
Speaker 1: Knew JD's family and all this stuff, and.
Speaker 2: So they were actually his dad was actually at the ribbon cutting ceremony and well for our business, and so she asked me these questions and I was like yeah, and so we decided we wanted to start this business. And uh, we have this beer named after Dirk and she goes who.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I was like, hold on fraud alert.
Speaker 2: No not so you know about the back to back World Series trips that happened around Dirk taking the team to a title.
Speaker 1: So she was given a script.
Speaker 2: She knew of JD because she was friends with JD's daughter, right, but she's not a sports fan.
Speaker 1: Ah, and so she did not know who Dirk was.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, I was like, oh, you're serious.
Speaker 1: You know Dirk Novitski? Nothing, No, I'm I don't know. Did she know who Jerry Jones? Like, like, dude, I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's the first person that I've ever met that did not know who Dirk was. That was from here garbage, And now now I want I want to have this discussion.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind. She was born in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: She's three when they won the title. Four, So how did you know?
Speaker 1: Does she know who Luke at? My kids know?
Speaker 5: Well, it's a little different, is it. We have a Dirk statue in our front yard? Did she know who Luca was?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: I think so? I think so. I just I was dumbfounded. And her brother was like, dude, she doesn't know anything about supports. I was like, but she knows JD. Shecuse and but he was like, man, she's like your neighborhood, dad. Yeah, yeah, your neighbor But you know, two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: So what what is the age where I don't know where Dirk matters to you? I guess I don't know. I I was literally in shock.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is the first person I've ever met who from Dallas who doesn't know Dirk. But I wasn't critical, Like I was like, okay, well you're you were an infant.
Speaker 5: I would say probably if you care about sports, I would say twenty three and up are the people that would have some sort of attack, Like, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, we're a little different because we're way into sports, but you know, my sports memories like tangible sports memories go back to being six years old.
Speaker 3: Six is the cutoff for me.
Speaker 5: I remember Tony dor sat in the Super Bowl. I remember crushed the orange Crush. I remember watching Harvey Martin say crush the orange crush and squeeze a can of that soda.
Speaker 1: Okay, like I have an actual memory in my memory bank of that. But I was six.
Speaker 2: Okay, But we're talking about a girl who's not into sports, right, and so what would be the equivalent for us being guys?
Speaker 1: That's something that girls.
Speaker 2: Guys can be into multiple things, girls can be I'm not trying to say that sports are for dudes. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying for her, she's not into sports. So what would be the equivalent for us of Dirk in the female world locally for.
Speaker 1: Ye, for girls that age. Yeah, Kendall Jinner, I thought a makeup or clothing have a makeup line?
Speaker 3: Yes, she does. You're talking about the Pepsi commercial.
Speaker 2: So if she was like, you know, Kendall Jinner and we were like what, I don't know, what is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would have looked real old.
Speaker 5: And then fred And says, she is fo.
Speaker 2: Uh have you guys ever interacted with anyone from Dallas who did not know who Dirk was.
Speaker 4: I mean, so not from Dallas, but someone who had moved here from Dallas. Dude, I will call him out, but like it's someone who works here, and then I'm sorry on who Dirk is run marketing?
Speaker 2: Okay, so somebody came here from the West Coast and somebody was used to being from the West Coast.
Speaker 4: And probably didn't care about Hoards or the Master too much, right, But I remember I gave her the dog.
Speaker 1: Look he's confused. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, if you don't follow basketball, why would you know who Dirk is? And if you if you're not from here and you don't follow basketball, why would you know who drk is. It's not like he was on every Nike commercial.
Speaker 3: In fact, he was the opposite. Yeah, stay out of it.
Speaker 5: There's really unless unless you're a part of the community or you're a basketball fan, there's no real reason for you to know who Dirk is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the power of Dirk though here is even more magical than it ever was in the wake of the Luca trade. Mm hmm, because in a lot of ways, it was like one unicorn passing the baton to another. As an organization and as a fan of sports, your favorite organization is not ever promised to have one of those guys ever, And they had one past the baton to the other.
Speaker 5: It was a headhorn that it passed right, and then Dirk just became a normal horse.
Speaker 4: Can I ask this because he's in the news a little about the power of Cuban, because I certainly thought after the trade happened, it would be more of like, let's look back and maybe be grateful, and instead it's kind of turned the other way into why.
Speaker 1: Would you do it?
Speaker 4: And then he's now doing hest and he's doing panels, which is there are so many panels by the way, there.
Speaker 5: Could be that could be legitimately because of south By Southwest that that stuff came out.
Speaker 3: There are so many panels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, but I'm just saying that's a legitimate thing that he's on that new video that's going around.
Speaker 1: That's a lot that is he was.
Speaker 2: He was at south By Southwest, But Cuban is different because Cuban was a TV star.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, Shark Tank is different people. You know, there's there's a dividing line you know, do you remember how hated Mark Cuban was in San Antonio?
Speaker 1: Like he was hated because he was criticizing the riverwalk, right he was.
Speaker 5: I mean they were just yeah, the maps and spers hated each other and Cuban's the worst. And then he did Shark t Shark Tank, and then he couldn't walk the streets of Santoni without people wanting to take their picture.
Speaker 3: He could have worked at the Dairy Queen for a day when he was on Shark Tank.
Speaker 5: It changed everything before that. Yeah, So but you know, did y'all read the h I didn't even know. I haven't read McMahon's book, but they're dying to read it. There's ESPN posted the chapter about Jalen Brunson today, and that does not make Mark Cuban look very good, right, because it was I started to read it and then I had something else came up, but it was I can't wait to read the whole book. But it was something to do with and I remember this him saying, hey, we have.
Speaker 2: His bird rides.
Speaker 1: He's not going anywhere that type of thing.
Speaker 4: Hm.
Speaker 5: It starts that way, yeah, but it's like it doesn't It starts with them lowballing him over and over and over, and then not even offering him a deal, and then basically offering him a deal after the trade deadline because they wanted to trade him and they couldn't trade him if they signed him. So then once they can't trade him, they're like, here's the Dory and Finny Smith deal. And then Rick Brunson and Jalen they're laughing at the marks, like we're not signing that now. And then there's this thought that and the Mavericks could have given Jalen Brunson way more money. But I mean, I know this for a fact, and it's not just it's not just Guban. There were several people in that front office that didn't think Jalen Brunson was worth the money he got. And in fact, if you go back and read the national outlets, a lot of them are saying that the Knicks overpaid and they clearly did not.
Speaker 2: Right because he would, Okay, so his value skyrocketed when Luca got hurt in the playoffs and then he stepped up. Yeah, but he had been benched like earlier, right well, so he had had a really good year.
Speaker 5: Like the Mavericks made a huge mistake in not signing him to that fifty five million dollar deal in January, Like they could have signed that in January. The Bruntsons were down and they were still thinking, on do we want to do a deal? Can we put someone better with Luca? And I would honestly argue, like he The thing that's brutal is they got nothing for him, right, Like this is an MVP caliber player that you got nothing. But I would still argue, no one would understand how good Jalen Brunson really is if he didn't have his own team to run. And that's actually in the article, like his dad was like, hey, I get it, Luca gets everything, but like Son, if you have your own team, it's different. Like Rick Brunson was the one who was saying, you need your own team. Jalen still wanted to be here, and if the Mavericks came in. According to this article, if the Mavericks had offered one hundred and five million dollar deal that New York offered, Jalen would have taken it because his wife.
Speaker 1: Wanted to be here. He wanted to be here.
Speaker 5: Instead, the Mavericks never got to the bargain to the bargaining table with him and just lost him for nothing.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: If you want to focus on anything good with the Mavericks, that goes back to Dirk. Yes, Dirk saves all butts. Like Randy Galloway said, like the only thing that can cheer me up right now from the sports depression is Dirk highlights, Dirk montages. Dirk doing anything well about Anthony Davis. Hi there done Towers doesn't help. Coming kind of hurts about that. Victor Hovelin. When I mean, if if if Anthony Davis and we'll get into this at four ten, if he comes back, I'm super conflicted about it because I want him to tank and get the best draft pick they can. But if he comes back and then they make it to the play in or whatever and immediately get destroyed or get to the first round, and you would assume they would get destroyed because they.
Speaker 1: Probably play the thunder will destroy them.
Speaker 2: So how is that good? It's only more thrashings you still do? Oh wait, no, okay, if they get Yeah, if they get to the first round there, what if they think we made it to go get swept?
Speaker 5: If they go if they get to the play in, they're still in the lottery. Yeah, but not if they get to the first round.
Speaker 4: All right, now, I think you have a one point three percent chance of getting Cooper flag, so you know it's pretty good better than your chances.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well what is your okay, what do you have a better chance of getting it?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 5: Do you have a better chance of getting Cooper flag or beating the Thunder in the first round of the playoffs?
Speaker 1: Cooper flag?
Speaker 4: Given what the Thunder have been doing in their postgame celebrations, they do. You suck at that and we own them.
Speaker 1: They can't. This whole conversation reminds me of something. I'm not sure what it is.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up next, uh in the Hollywood Shuffle, there has been a notable death.
Speaker 1: We'll discuss it next