Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I'd say the Monday after the second weekend of NFL playoffs is usually where we were reacting to a whole lot. Obviously, we now have the AFC NFC Championship matchup set. We've talked a lot about that. Today college basketball in full swing. Tonight we've got the national championship in college football. I've been mentioning kind of here and there over the last couple of weeks, and really today, I know I've mentioned it a few times. I keep having to remind myself that this game is happening, And a big factor is because I really don't care. There's not a whole lot that I like, Ohio State will probably win and that won't. That's not going to be something that really bothers me. But it's also not going to be something that I'm happy about. So I don't even have like a villain here right Like I'm gonna pull for a Notre Dame, which kind of feels weird. So I'm sure that's a factor too. But I also think because typically by now when you get this far into the NFL playoffs, college football's come and gone like the season's been over for really at times, you know, roughly three weeks. But now it's not because again they expanded the playoff, which I'm all in on and I think it's great and it's been great. I just you know, it's new to us, so we haven't really talked a whole lot about that tonight, but you know, I've said it since they've been on this run in the playoffs, Marcus Freeman has made Notre Dame likable and just the way things have played out for Notre Dame in the last I don't know how ever many years. I mean, it kind of feels like they can justifiably claim they are kind of like Rudy. They're kind of the underdog, which is weird because you know, they're filthy rich by themselves. They don't need all the money that every school relies on from their conference revenue share. They can do everything independently and still be one of the biggest brands in all of sports. And usually if you're somebody that's that privileged and you know, that successful, that elite, and you're arrogant about it, at least your fans have been for the most for the majority of my life, Like, you're pretty easy to dislike. But again, they've been doubted for a long time now because when they have been in previous situations with successful seasons that give them opportunities in the four team playoff or in the BCS ere they played for national championships, and when they would lose, people would claim that they didn't belong and that they you know, their loss was that was proof that they were overrated, and really that was never the case. Like, I don't think Notre Dame's ever been given a spot in any thing by a committee, rather it be you know, or I guess the formula with BCS or with the four team playoff, Like just because they got in and got killed, that mean they weren't good enough to be there. The team that probably just missed it would have probably gotten blown out too, So, you know, I think Notre Dame has always been a team that it just seems like more often than not, if you don't have any feel for them as far as positivity, you're going to find them pretty easy to not like. But this group just because you know, I mean, they're talent, but like I do believe that Marcus Freeman, he's he's done such a good job. And again it's here, here's where it sounds disingenuous, like Marcus Freeman's working with some of you know, the best talent that you'll get, because Notre Dame gets a lot of talent, but maybe not to the level of you know, in Ohio State. So they're they're understandably the underdog tonight, and I do kind of feel like if they won, it would be one of those natural moments that you have in sports where people find themselves kind of happy the underdog. Right, David got Goliath, and you know that's just normal, that's natural. But usually it's not programs like Notre Dame that are in this spot. But the Ohio State stories kind of good too.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Like again, I think I think both of these teams now that I think about it, and maybe I'm just a hater, but I feel like both of these teams have that in common where if you're not a fan, you probably more often than not, when you feel one way or another about them, you don't like them, and you are maybe happy they when.
Speaker 3: They aren't good.
Speaker 2: But these are the two teams that are gonna be playing for the NASH Championship tonight, and you know, hope we get a good game. I'm going to try to try to win some money at it. Probably won't. I've got no momentum right now when it comes to wagering, but hey, it's the National Championship game.
Speaker 3: I can't not get in on the action.
Speaker 2: And I'm still at this point able to claim, you know, even if I don't win, having some action, having a ride, it still has enhanced the overall experience of watching sports. I'm still able to say it. But man, a few more losses and I may be like, you know what, No, I'm not enjoying sports as much because it reminds me how bad I suck it picking the outcome and things like that. So but hey, all it takes is one win, and then I'm like, you know what, Like maybe I don't need a full time shop, Like maybe I don't need, you know, to do anything other than just steal money from these books because I'm smart and they're not. Like it's a wild ride you go through as a gambler, but you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. I know you're with me, Austin. It's what we sign up for, right, this is what we do. Degenerate gamblers.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, there's nothing more than I love just sweating out of bet. Like at ten o'clock at night. Wife fiance is like already asleep and already knows that she's not getting you for the night because you got to watch anytime touchdown cash or you're yeah, you're at that the fifth leg and that four legger that you put in and just sweating and over. And I talked about this as somebody I know that we've talked about this before, But why don't the networks? Is there something against like them just kind of being all out with the with the gambling because you still always hear though, oh well that that play is really gonna see some people. That's why don't they have like the ticker that says the over is in the threat or at the very end under Kansas City covered. I mean Draft Kings and Fandel are all over the GD place anyways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're in bed with them. Yeah, the NFL the like, here's here's what gets me. And this has actually been something I have.
Speaker 3: Talked about before. So you're right, this this.
Speaker 2: Is something that I don't notice it quite as much, but you still see it from time to time, and that is the attempt to be funny and cute is if you're being a bad boy because you're not allowed to talk about gamling like that, that's I don't think they need to necessarily be putting up like the live odds, but like if they did, I wouldn't be shocked and I would probably find myself appreciating that because you know, I'm interested.
Speaker 3: I'm interested in that. But the uh oh that late that late bucket.
Speaker 2: There might might have meant something to somebody like like it's not it's it's like not funny, like it's and you don't need to like it's such a I don't know, like it shouldn't bother me.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't care.
Speaker 2: But this this notion that like you're still like you know, you're in the cool kids club, if you know, you know, like everybody knows, because it's literally it's in your face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is absolutely in your face.
Speaker 2: Like I I've been into sports gambling and meaning interest in and and and participated in it before it became legal here and before it became kind of what it is now where it's everywhere in your face, like you mentioned Austin, but I wonder what those that have never been interested before and still aren't, which, by the way, there's still are people that do that. They're not anti gambling, it's just not what they do. Like, is it annoying to you because it's it's a big I don't want to act like it's like it's my life, but I spend a lot of time, like if I'm on my phone, I'm looking at what's that, what's not, what's available to bet on every single second. But like for tonight, like this is a little different because it's national championship game, but if this was like a normal college basketball night, like I will probably have been on the app throughout the day here and there, not betting every five seconds, but just looking to see changes because I know I'm gonna get involved later that night. So to me, it's I don't even really notice quite how much it is in my face. But if you're somebody that maybe is an anti gambling, you just aren't interested in it, Like you're probably annoyed at this point because it's you know, it's it's so embedded in how you experience sports. And again I'm fine with it, but you know, I don't know, maybe maybe others aren't.
Speaker 4: But think the the XFL when that was a thing where it came back for like a year, I think they fully like embraced it. They would have that on like the bottom ticker, the over the under, who was favoriteed and I'm pretty sure at the end of the game that it showed the result and then it said like the battle Hawks covered six and the overhit. Like, I just don't understand why it gives.
Speaker 2: You a time of year to bet on football whenever you know it's it's typically a time where football wasn't going on. So, like I remember when it became legal in Kentucky or it was on the way to become illegal, the process was happening. A lot of coaches around here were asked about it, and there weren't really many statements or quotes that really stood out during that time. I think most coaches kind of said what you would have expected. But Jeff Wall said something that I hadn't thought about, and it's true and I'm not sure if they've seen the results from this yet or the benefit, but he mentioned that that's just another way to where women's college basketball could potentially bring in more viewers. If people want something to bet on, they like betting on basketball. Maybe they don't even like, maybe they won't claim that they enjoy the product. But if it gives them something to get some action on and it brings them to watch, then that's good for everybody involved.
Speaker 3: So I'm paraphrasing. That's not exactly what he said, but he brought that up, and he's right. You know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll be honest with you straight up, just because I'm not saying I'd be great at it, but I feel like if I was forced to, like really you know, survive off of winning and losing when it comes to this stuff, and it wasn't something I just do for fun. Again, I have no clue if i'd be good or not, but I feel like I know more about basketball the sport than I do anything else. Meaning I could watch a couple like I feel like i'd be able to maybe you know, have better success with that than other sports. So you know, I don't bet on women's college basketball. I'd be a liar if I said that I did, But I had before, and you know, it's usually because there's a big game that I want to watch right, like women's college basketball this year. I mean, it's clearly like I don't know if many people have noticed it, because you know, I get it if you haven't, and I'm not like taking a dig at it, but you really just kind of stop and think the attention women's college basketball is getting currently in this current season is a billion times less than what it was the last few years.
Speaker 3: Oh but but.
Speaker 2: Because that was kind of the rare era, that two three stretch with Caitlyn Clark and Angel, you know, that was like that was rare, so like it's not like your your feend and for it you miss it.
Speaker 3: It was kind of a rarity. It was the outlier really.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the amount of attention women's basketball has gotten. So look, I'm sure viewership will be good when it comes to the postseason, but I'm sure there's many of you right now that hadn't thought about it until I just said it. I think Austin's one of them, Like you haven't been like why aren't they talking to women's college basketball?
Speaker 3: But like it was, it was such a big.
Speaker 2: Storyline in sports last year with Angel coming back and obviously Caitlin Clark's I mean they're both still super famous when it comes to sports men or women. But man, that that was a big year. And again, I wouldn't be shocked if you see again, I'm not I'm not trying to dog the sport like it's like it's in trouble. But I think what you saw last the last couple of years was probably it's probably gonna be insanely tough to ever recreate that now.
Speaker 3: Again, safe to say that's when it peaked, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And look that era any it was beneficial, Like you clearly have more people aware of your product and consuming it now than you did. But like the level of maintaining that is, that's that's unrealistic, you know. But and again, if I had to bet on women's college basketball, I shouldn't say if I had to, but like I wouldn't you know, maybe if I keep losing and all the other things I bet on, maybe I'll just go there and see if I can find success, because clearly it's not been great for me as of late.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna act like I watch either, but it just seems like they're trying to build up that young lady from US is a juju wat Yeah, and she's super talented, but she's been like you, so little steam around it. Yeah, well yeah, you like, look, let's be honest, Kaitlyn Clark playing at Iowa in the Big Ten, where she plays in a state that like if somebody in any sport is the status of Kaitlyn Clark, that whole state's going to rally around to where you know, I mean, it's just different. I mean, I think we all know that, Like USC women's basketball is not even in the top fifteen as far as draws in sports in that market.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not not her fault.
Speaker 2: She's great, but like there's just there's not as you know, Kaitlyn Clark being the young girl from rural Iowa that went to play for her home state school when she could have gone anywhere, and clearly she's I think she's the best women's college basketball player of all time. So you know, Juji Watkins probably won't play and actually she should, right, Like she should stay in college four years. Like you rarely see anybody leave early for the WA draft because now you can make a lot more money. In fact, sure you know that that that's that's really what you strive to do, is I mean weird.
Speaker 4: The peak is being Caitlyn Clark and Angel Reese, and I do think that she's reached that yet. A couple more years in college and Garner and more hype would probably help her out a little bit. But like, if you wanted to be more than that, you haven't reached that on the hype this year probably benefits you to stay kind of build your name up again. And I think, like, look at me, knowing women's college basketball.
Speaker 3: The page is it Paige Uker's page? Yes? From is that your name? Yes?
Speaker 2: I feel like she's been in college and she hasn't. She's she's a fifth year now because she got injured, and she's really good and and I think she's a good example of kind of just what that what that rare probably never going to see it again before or never see it again era of of Angel of Angel and and and Kaitlyn Clark, because that girl Page was was the biggest star in college basketball before they became as big as they were, because she was phenomenal as soon as she got there playing for Geno. She was kind of bringing Yukon back to that insanely dominant era. And then she gets hurt and you know she was clearly, she's still clearly a star. She's she's elite, But like I bet a lot of people don't even realize she's still playing college basketball because there's just no attention on the on the on the women's side right now compared to what it was last year. Again, I know it sounds like I'm I'm I'm dissing them, but more than anything, it just speaks to how crazy it was that it was such a talking point. Like I remember, it's just a rare thing. With Louisville and Kentucky. It's different because obviously, you know, those are your teams, Like you're gonna notice if they're having a good season. You're gonna notice when they're playing in the and Sibelly Tournament. But like team games that didn't involve the local teams that I would care about, Like I would make it a point, Hey, I want to watch this tonight because the product's good and you know, storylines were good. I mean it was, it was fun, and I'm sure I could enjoy watching women's college basketball now if I you know, if I went looking for it because I love basketball, but they the storylines and you know, the star fame that you had with that era, that two three year window, whatever it was like that that actually brought me in to watch it more so than I probably ever will. So I mentioned how bad I am at gambling. Usually I use gambling to try to find joy because my team has sucked in recent years. Well now I'm not as bothered by the loss as because Louisville they're winning, and that spill on the void and we'll talk more about that. On the other side. This team's got a good test tomorrow against a good SMU team at least, you know, one of the better teams in your league. Probably says more about your league. But we'll get to that and a lot more as we roll along. Here. It's coffee and Company fuelbou Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So as of right now, it looks like, you know, the latest bracketology update that I can find is is Jerry Palm of CBS. Lenardi is the one that ends up getting way more attention, you know, because it's kind of what he does. You know, he kind of made bracketology become what it is today, and he's pretty good at it in the grand scheme of things, but I don't know his schedule. Like I feel like when he does update it, it doesn't make any sense, like, hey, wait, why are you doing this now? Like when you would expect there to be a big update, because you know, a bunch of games just happen over the weekend, you have a little downtime. I feel like that's when you would crank out an update, But he typically seems to be really random about when he updates his But Leonardi, I'm sure he'll crank went out here soon. But we've got just within the last few hours. Jerry Palm at CBS. You know, maybe he's I don't know, maybe he's uh, maybe he's correct in this, but only Tom will tell. But I feel like he's higher on the acc than I would have expected, and certainly higher than Leonardi and the other bracketologists that that you see out there, because he has and maybe this is maybe.
Speaker 3: I'm doubting Louisville, but to see Louisville.
Speaker 2: As a six seed here, you know, I don't see them as a six seed anywhere else. I think mostly it's been seven but I don't know, maybe the latest update with other teams losing in Louisville continuing to win and continuing to look pretty good in the metrics, maybe a six is where they're going to be. You know, consider instantly throughout all the bracketology that's out there, but Clemson and Louisville both are sitting at six seeds according to h to Jerry Palm. And then you've got three bubble teams in the ACC, meaning three teams that really it's a it's a it's well, I guess you got four. It's really a coin flip if they get in right now. I mean, Pittsburgh has kind of played themselves in a position where if they don't make the tournament, I can't say that I'm going to be stunned, because you know, they started off pretty solid, did pretty well in the non conference, got off to a good start in conference play, and then uh Duke got him, and then Louisville got him, and then I don't think they've won a game since. I mean, yeah, they're on a four game losing streak with a home loss to to Clemson on Saturday and overtime.
Speaker 3: So that was a good win for Clemson.
Speaker 2: So they're they're no longer looking like a bubble team as of now, they're safely in and maybe they're as high as a six. But there with Louisville, Louisville is listed as the you know, the higher six seed because clearly they've got a better resume and do have the the head to head win over them. But I know it's hard to imagine they're only being three teams from the ACC that get in, but I do think it's a real possibility because when I see where he has the other teams, like, I can't say that it's that it's surprising. You've got Carolina and Pittsburgh both as ten seeds. They're they're not in the last four in, but they're close to it. And then in the last four in is wake Forest, who's currently in is one of the playing teams, and SMU is in the first four out. Indiana currently is the first team to not make it in, meaning they're they're they're number one in the first four outs. So again it's just a reference point. But you know, if you think about it, when it comes to what value you really have in bracketology updates throughout the season, it's kind of just to check in and and more often than not, I don't want to say, like again, for what I look at and what I reference it for, I think it's it's it's certainly worth keeping up with because it's kind of easy to do. I'm not going to say that I would be as good as others, but like, I don't even look at who they have Louisville playing because I know that's just true. That's just purely a guess, right, I mean, if you look at it for what it is, knowing that, look, there's a lot of basketball to he played, things are gonna change. But you see, you know, as of now, Louisville's looking like a six seed, so you know what they'd play an eleven seed. The teams that are in that eleven seed range. You got UC Irvine, You've got you know, New Mexico, which I could totally see that New Mexico and Pat Kelcey, the Patino connection.
Speaker 3: Heck, he was.
Speaker 2: He was interested in the job until Louisville kind of made it clear, Hey, love you, we're just not gonna go in that direction. I mean, that's that's kind of how it played out. I know Rick was gonna be an issue, and it would have been a process. But if Louisll would have offered to Beatino the job, he would have taken it. I mean, and he would have been smart to do so. Most people wouldn't turn it down, but I could, you know, And look, he's the guy who Louisville lost to in the last tournament game when he was at Minnesota. So anyways, the team teams like Nebrasca, San Diego State, Iowa, like that's the caliber team you'll be facing in the first game, because again, like it's pretty you know, again, you never know, like maybe there's a team that's an eleven seed that the committee would actually give a nine seed, or maybe there's a team that's a that's a force or a six seed like Louisville here and maybe the committee would say, no, the AC seed is not good.
Speaker 3: They're an eight.
Speaker 2: So you never know for sure. But I think when you just consider where teams appear to be on seed line, your team, and you know, maybe the caliber team that you know you're gonna play given on where you are in the seed line, Like that's what interests me. And I don't think you know, it's crazy to pay attention to that pretty consistently, because that, to me, is pretty easy to determine. I guess where you really get into nerding out on bracketology as far as who's great at it, I guess it's also those predicting you know, like seeds thirteen through sixteen, which I can't tell you that I've ever even paid attention to those those seeds because it's usually, you know, the lower level conferences. And if you're Kentucky fan, you probably were starting to pay more attention to them with Oakland and with Saint Pete. But I imagine now you're probably not worried about that because you know you got Mark Pope and he's clearly a better coach. Which I want to get to the Kentucky side of things coming up here in a moment, because they'll probably bounce back, and I would imagine Kentucky's currently on a stretch of I think they're gonna have some real consistency here where they're gonna end up losing games along the way to good teams in the league play like they did on Saturday against Alabama, but then they'll also go win a game that you know against a team that you know is capable of beating Kentucky, but hey, they bounced back, Like I think they're gonna end up getting some losses along the way because how good their league is, but they've also shown that despite losses, they usually are able to bounce back and then go show that, hey, yeah we can slip up and lose to other really good teams, but we're a really good team as well, And they've really done that all year. But that Arkansas game, Arkansas is so bad right now, and Kentucky clearly has proven at this point they they should win that game and it shouldn't be close.
Speaker 3: But there's clearly a.
Speaker 2: Real obvious element to this matchup that if I was a Kentucky fan, I was trying to think, like would I be worried about it? And I kind of think I would, just because like, that's a huge that's the biggest storyline in college basketball this year, not that game specifically, because you know Arkansas thinks, but cal leaving Kentucky to take over at Arkansas one of the big storylines in college basketball this year.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: But what I'm seeing that's kind of lame, in my opinion, is like Kentucky fans, I'm not I'm not no way. I'm getting confident in this game because Cal always this will be a super Bowl. Cal always always wins a game or two he's not supposed to. Like, he's gonna have them so ready, and they're they're gonna hit every They're gonna hit every shot they take. Just watch, well, Like, to me, that that shows you're scared, like that, you're not like you're not scared because you think Arkansas is good. You're scared because like, big bad Cal may come in here and be big bad daddy to you. Like, I think you guys are kind of still in fear of a guy that you're happy is gone. You enjoyed some good times. And look, I'm sure it won't take long for Kentucky fans to start texting in or calling in saying, we ain't scared, bring him in, We're gonna beat him down. And I'm with you. You should have that mindset, but there's some that don't. And like, I think you know, you just know Cal wants to beat you so bad. And what's wild to say is that he could not make the tournament. He could be a complete failure when it comes to the record at the end of the season. But if he has that winn against Kentucky. Against Kentucky, I kind of feel like he won't care. I mean, surely he wants to win. It's not good for him when they lose. But like, if you really think about it in the way it's playing out right now, I think cal just went to Arkansas as a lifeline and you know, a school that was also willing to pay him way too much money, and he wanted to kind of go win and put it in your face. And clearly he's not doing that right now. But like, if he's able to come into Rup Arena on February first and beat you guys, it won't really mean anything because you know you're still gonna be safely in the tournament. That will be maybe be an opportunity them to maybe, like you know, go on a run. Like it won't really matter when it comes to like your resume and how you're viewed as a team this season. It'll be looked at as a fluky upset. But there's clearly a personal element here that, like, you know, you don't want to lose to anybody the rest of the season, obviously, but if there's one team you don't want to lose to it's got to be Arkansas, and I get it, like I would be, I'd be in the same position. But all right, so Louisville in SMU tomorrow. I mean, maybe SMU is better than I'm than I'm you know, And I'm not like not giving him credit. I just to me, they're the kind of team that they're new, right, They're new in the ACC. They're they're currently in the first season of a new era. Andy Enfield from USC of course, Florida Gulf Coast is where he made a name for himself Dunk City, and he did well at USC for the most part, didn't really ever max out, but he was fine there. And now he's at SMU and they're off to a pretty good start. It's like I just can't tell, Like I don't know if I think that they're you know, more so like are they truly a top thirty five caliber team like the net says, or are they one of these teams that's just been able to, you know, beat the teams they're supposed to beat and you know, lose to only good teams. I mean, and maybe some people are still saying that about Louill because Louisville's best win. I mean, right now, it's West Virginia, and West Virginia is kind of tricky because they're currently right next to Louisville and just about every metric including the A people. But they also have like some real big wins, meaning West Virginia does like wins that louisll doesn't have.
Speaker 3: But Loui will beat them.
Speaker 2: So you know, I have no clue really what to expect with us with SMU. But it's not a game where I'm saying to myself I have no clue what to expect, because again, Louisville has been so consistently good in the last few weeks. And again maybe when I say that, there are some people triggered, because I know there's some people because some of you text in quit saying Louisville is so good they play in the lousy acc well, like that's the fact that you feel the need to say that probably mean you're in a little bit of denial that you might actually deep down think they're good too and you don't like it, which I don't even I'm not going to get int the weeds on that because there's nothing you can do about it. And I happen to think and maybe this is just wishful thinking on my end, I don't really care louis was playing right now, like they're not playing you know, Bellerman's, they're playing teams that you know, like, for example, they beat West Virginia. That's a good win. West Virginia has gone out and beating some of the best teams in the country. They beat Clemson. I don't think Clemson's great, but Clemson was good enough to beat Kentucky. So again, I don't I'm not going to use that in like hold it up, hold a sign up saying hey, you're all wrong about Louisville, look at this stab. But like, I feel good enough about how they're playing, and they've played a really, really tough schedule and that matters. So here's where these two teams kind of stack up. When it comes to like resume and number. Louisvell's twenty nine in the net SMU is thirty fifth, currently Louisville ranked twenty fifth, they're not ranked SMU is not and then the Ken Palm Louisvill's twenty ninth kN palm SMU is fortieth. And then if you look at strength of schedule. You know, Louisville has played the fifth teenth toughest schedule in college basketball currently and that's you know, that's not even you know, that's not even. That's the whole schedule out of conference strength of schedule. That used to be a stat that I really like valued. But the number, the raw number that you get from these formulas is so misleading because Louisville strength of schedule in the non conference is number twenty four. But like it's because for every team they played in the non conference that's you know, really really good and highly ranked. They also played teams that are in the two hundreds and Bellerman's in the three hundreds, so that's going to weigh it down. So like you really do more of an eye test, right, like you go look at who they play, and you know who's.
Speaker 3: Good and who's not.
Speaker 2: And if you just factor you know, non conference teams that they've played that you know are good teams, like they played a lot of them.
Speaker 3: So if Louisville had.
Speaker 2: Gone through, like if Louisville's number looked like SMU because again Louisville's number fifteen right now, they have the fifteenth toughest schedule in college basketball. SMU's is ranked one seventeen, So if Louisville was closer to one seventeen than they are fifteen than one, they probably wouldn't be ranked. And also, you know, I would be more so I would still enjoy it and I'd be embracing this team, because man, it's been one hell of a ride, but I probably would have a little bit more of a doubt as to, like, you know, how much we can really take from from their wins. I mean again, they've they've been battle tested. Fourteen and five overall, they now have three quad one wins. All five of their losses are in the quad one range. So you know, it's not to say they've got a perfect resume. But when I say, I'm not really in the I don't know exactly what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: None of us ever do for sure.
Speaker 2: But like Louisville has has been consistent enough in the last seven games or so really since January this month to where I don't even really care about SMU.
Speaker 3: Right, if SMU was Duke, then yeah, I would know.
Speaker 2: Hey, I hope louis plays really well, but man, they're gonna need their opponent to you know, not have a great game because you know you're playing one of the best teams in the country. It's not like I'm thinking SMU stinks, but like Louisville has shown me that they should be able to keep doing what they're doing and doesn't mean they're guaranteed to win, but they should win and it's just nice to have that feeling. Right. It's not like I've got like this this Maybe next year is when it starts again. But I don't really look at this as a a r You've got really a little bit to gain and a lot to lose, because that's that's oftentimes what happens when you're when you're at the top, right like for Kentucky it's not there this year because the SEC is so loaded. But you oftentimes, like when you're supposed to win because you're really good. You can even be playing other teams that you know are supposed to go to the tournament, but like, you have not a whole lot to gain, but more to lose, because you know if you slip up to a team, it's not the end of the world, but you know it's going to damage your resume. A laws aid SMU, I don't really know what it would do to Louis's resume, but I don't care because if they slip up and lose, I'm sure others won't react and feel.
Speaker 3: The same way.
Speaker 2: But I'm still gonna know that, Like, hey, I've seen enough to think this team should still be able to get to you know, to bounce back and continue to win more games. Of course, then they're going to lose the rest of the way, And I just think that kind of speaks to this being the honeymoon phase, Like this is just so fun and enjoyable, the entire thing from top to bottom. Yeah, we've talked a lot about bracketology today in the tournament, so it's clearly on my mind because that's just kind of what you do during the college basketball season when you've got a team that's having some success. But I mean, I'm just this it's kind of like I'm just you know, enjoying the ride more than feeling like, hey man, I hope we hope we don't. Like, I'm sure there's some bands, and it's all about how you're wired. Everybody's different as human beings, Like I'm sure there's some that anytime Louisville continues to improve their situation. Maybe you start to think about, who knows, maybe they could get up to like a five seed. Like I'm sure there's some people that when they get there, their mind goes to, well, hope they don't do that and then blow it and lose to a twelve seed. And you know, I'm kind of like that in you know, in a previous life, because I guess I was just a spoiled fan that like felt like I felt an entitlements as a fan, like my team, you know better, you better make at least the Sweet sixteen, because you know we're Louisville. Well, obviously been a long time. In fact, this season makes it a decade. It has been ten years this year since Louisville made it out of the first week into the INSTABA Tournament. Think about that. Ten years ago they went to the Elite eight, lost to Michigan State. We actually talked about that last week. That's ten years ago, which one that's crazy to think about that it's been that long. But since then, Louisville's only been in the tournament a couple of times and they lost in the first appearance. In their last appearance, which was Max's first year, and they didn't go back, of course, and then they lost in the second round in twenty seventeen when they were a two seed that was Donovan and Dgadel and those guys.
Speaker 3: Rix.
Speaker 2: Last year they lost as a two seed to Michigan. So I mean, just being in the tournament is never gonna be something we just get, you know, like can you believe it happened? But like, let's be real with ourselves, like let's not let's not try to rewrite history and act like we haven't gone through a drought that we never thought we'd see. Like even when Denny would have a year where he won like ten to eleven games, which was rare, but like he had some down years. Maybe that's a stretch, but like even Dinny had years where you kind of knew we aren't terrible, we're not going to the tournament, but you also knew the next year he probably mess around go to sweet sixteen. Like you know, even you know the type of run we've had here including you know, not just not just the draft of success, but like all the drama, all the off the court stuff, like it's been a circus, Like louisvill basketball for ten years, I've been able to still find some joy within there because you know, you had some good players and there were some good moments and some good teams, but more often than not, it's been, you know, not fun stuff. So I'm just worried people maybe like maybe people may think, like, all right, come on, Nick, like it's just the tournament.
Speaker 3: Well, damn it.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time and I love the tournament. There's nothing better.
Speaker 3: A tournament means everything to me right now.
Speaker 2: There's nothing like touning in on selections Sunday knowing you're gonna get in and you just want to see the draw, you want to see the seed.
Speaker 3: It's it's you want to be excited for filling brackets.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's you want to be you want to be ready to tell the contee that they're not valuing your team and all that. Like, it's just an experience that is special and it's been a long long time coming right quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap it up right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: No late movement in the in the line here tonight of the National Championship Game. In the College Football Playoff, Ohio State sitting at eight and a half point favorites. I think that's an understandable line I would have. I mean, I think I was thinking it'd be a little bit lower than that. But in the grand scheme of things, Ohio State is now playing at a level that I think everybody thought they could be at this year, even if you don't necessarily believe a whole lot in Ryan Day. I mean, this team is loaded to where he doesn't have to do a whole lot, right. You know, not to say coaching isn't valuable, but you know, this team is so stacked that they're playing to their potential and it's you know, it's impressive, but really not that surprising. There's some that said just when it comes to the over depth they have, meaning how good they are.
Speaker 3: Like too deep at just about every position.
Speaker 2: Again, sounds like an exaggeration, and maybe it is, but I mean, those who follow it closely think this is one of the most talented teams that has ever been in college football. Now they win the night and they win big, maybe that'll be confirmed, but I still believe that going through the low that they had where it kind of felt like anything they did the rest of the way, even if it's the National Championship. I mean, this is going to sound dramatic, but like them losing to Michigan in that circumstance, the way Michigan had a really down year in Ohio State was loaded and that's like the one thing you couldn't do was lose that game, and you did. I mean, the fan base was so low on Ohio State that like, no, they didn't even that didn't even let them realize that they still actually had a chance to go win the whole thing, because they're that good, and you know, it's a twelve team playoff, but here they are. I think getting that out of the way going through that, not to give you the cliche corny line about like you know, it only made them better, but it did kind of I think make them looser because they went through i mean some real toxicity within their fan base and their program top to bottom and kind of just you know, there's nothing that could happen the rest of the way that it's gonna be worse than that. So I think it kind of loosening them up, and they're playing some really, really good football. But you know what, so is Notre Dame. So I'm hoping we get a competitive game, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's competitive for about sixty five percent of the way and then you see Ohio State pull away late, maybe win this thing by like I don't know, seventeen or something. I could see that happening. I kind of want to take Notre Dame plus eight and a half. But that's me not using my brain. It's me just kind of wanting to wager on something that I hope will happen. You's falling into the sports books, hanyeah. But I also don't know that, like I truly trust Ohio I do. I trust Ohio State probably more than any team in the last few rounds of this tournament, because that's how good they've looked. So I don't know I'll end up doing something. Maybe I do the maybe I do the under forty five and a half seems kind of low.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm so I second guess everything right now because of how much I've struggled that, Like, I may just flip a coin and and do whatever, let's do it the coin tells me to do. You got any action on this one tonight.
Speaker 4: No, but that under kind of does sound like a play. I'm not gonna lie. But at the same time, forty five seems like that's what Ohio State can get in like three quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I'm not I'm not confident. Notre Dame is going to light it up, and I think I think Ohio State, like you know, they'll score, but Notre Dame will keep it respectable to where that I just getting completely rottled. So yeah, maybe here we did it. As we wrap up the show, I'm going I'm going under forty.
Speaker 3: Five and a half. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: That's right, let's see what happens. Right, We're back tomorrow and it'll be fun. It'll be like it'll be a game day of issue where Louisvill's in the top twenty five. When we watch them play tomorrow night, they're gonna have that number next to their name, and even though they don't have a whole lot of value, it's just another sign that things are things are getting back to where they where they should be.
Speaker 3: We're healing.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, everybody,