Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome in. It is Kentucky and is Morning News, Coffee and Company here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me On a July twenty eighth edition of the show The Full Cruise. Here, we've got Scott Fitzgerald, We've got John Shannon, and the one and only John Alden is back after a nice vacation.
Speaker 2: Should I say staycation?
Speaker 3: Definitely a staycation. So the first time in a long time that I've taken a full week off and not gone somewhere, and I think it helped the week go by slower, but in a good way. It felt like I got a full I feel much more rejuvenated than I thought I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine if there's not as much going on, it's not as hectic. It just I mean, it's you realize that there's more downtime. Of course, really Tom never changes. It's all just you know how you perceive it mentally. But nice to know that you're back with a with a you know, a week of rest, which sounds like you needed it. Not because you know, we wear you out with what you have to deal with every day with this this show, but obviously you know, your a new dad. There's a lot that comes with that bonding time too, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely. There were three days last week where I was home alone watching the baby while my wife went up to school to get some things ready for the new school year coming up.
Speaker 2: So that was there.
Speaker 3: You got an interesting few days, but yeah, overall, a really good week off.
Speaker 1: Nice to hear, and we're certainly glad to have you back, Scott. You survived being outside seemingly all all day Saturday in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Was it as hot there as it was here?
Speaker 4: It was hot, dude?
Speaker 2: The Reds game, right, Yeah, yeah, it was fun, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: We had a great time.
Speaker 5: And then yesterday walked around historic Findlay Market in Cincinnati, which is awesome but hot, very very hot.
Speaker 1: You know, I when I see the huge crowds that that that were at the Reds game and the big crowds just out doing things, it's it's nice to know.
Speaker 2: That the heat wave, because that's what this is.
Speaker 1: This isn't just hey, the summertime is here and it's hot outside. This is genuinely a heat wave, and it doesn't keep people from still trying to go out and do things, which is good. But I also feel like when it's maybe this is just the whimp in me because I'm not as tough as others as far as dealing with the heat, I suppose, but it's such an added component that, like you remember, yeah, we had a good time at the Reds game. Yeah, we had a good time at the market, but man, it was hot as hell.
Speaker 5: It was well and big and Big three was in town and they had they had a music festival.
Speaker 2: So like your weeking in Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Then we were walking back to the car and I mean it was just wall to wall people and when you put the heat on top of that with no breeze, it just stagnates.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Still it was crazy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a lot of people out this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I spent the majority, no joke, I probably spent more time either in a pool or pool side than maybe I ever have for just a weekend. Because Friday, we didn't really have a whole lot, nothing planned, and we just we can't keep the kids home without them, you know, losing their minds very often. So we just decided to go to my mom and stepdad's us They've got a nice poll set up that they let us mooch on pretty often. So we did a Friday evening by the pool, which was kind of nice. And by the way, it's because of just the heat. It's bathwater essentially still refreshing to an extent, but it's it's it's warm, the water's warm because of how hot it is outside. And then we spent really all day Saturday.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Did get out to a church picnic on Saturday evening, which was a lot of fun. Went to the Saint what is it Saint Michael picnic out there in Taylorsville Road area in jay Town. But again, you know, we're enjoying ourselves. Good, good to see some friends and catch up with some people. But when I think back on that night, I'll think, wow, I probably swept more that evening than I have in a long long time.
Speaker 5: It was hot, and it's I mean, you walk out there this morning, it's hot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it doesn't nice that we're gonna get some.
Speaker 1: Really, my my, I guess when I when I and I checked the weather to know sort of what we're expecting, but really, what makes it seem either better or worse. It's just all humidity and when it's three o'clock in the morning, three thirty in the morning, whenever it is, I roll out of my house if I can. If I hit that garage door opener as I walk outside and it just smacks me in the face, that's when I know, Okay, here we go, better buckle up. Gonna be very very thick out side today.
Speaker 3: Does your garage heat up?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: So, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, like if I if I just walk outside into the garage with the garage door shut, meaning walk outside of the garage from the house, it I mean, it's it's not comfortable by any means, but within five seconds of the of the garage door being opened, the big one. I mean, it's just a different world of heat. Like I've learned to having a garage is something I maybe who knows, maybe in the next house I won't have one. But it's not just because it keeps your car like covered in the cold. Like it put it this way, if my car is in a parking lot getting baked in the sun for an eight hour workday shift and then I go get in it at five o'clock to leave, I feel like it would take a while from my car to actually cool off. Whenever I've got it covered with a garage that it's like a little thing that makes the world of a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly same in the winter.
Speaker 4: Same in winter. It's still nice.
Speaker 1: I appreciate having a garage. And also we have a pretty good set up here right. It goes along way when our cars are covered in this garage.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 4: You got to spend time by the pool grow.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was nice. Clyde, Okay, we're ready to rock. Get this week started.
Speaker 1: We've got John back, Scott's he's back after a fresh weekend in Cincinnati. I was pullsided, so hopefully you guys had a good weekend as well, and we got a lot to get into today. We'll talk about this big, big new piece of news from yesterday as we now have a deal with the European Union. Trump announced that yesterday, so we'll get into that and a lot more. It's Kentucky and this Morning News, Coffee and Company here on News RADIOA forty whas it sure is Monday, Monday, July twenty eighth. Where the hell did June and July go? I mean, July is still here. We've got a few days left, but I cannot believe how fast the summer months have completely flown by. And I mean, if you're a kid that's getting ready to go back to school, that probably sucks. But maybe it hasn't gone by fast for you, because again, time is all how you perceive it. It's actually one of the only and most consistent thing that exists. Time, right, so make it whatever you want, But I cannot believe how fast Juni's live gone by. And sure enough, starting next week, August the seventh, that will be the first day back to school for Jefferson County Public Schools here in Louisville and JCP. I said this a couple of weeks ago, whenever we were learning of the new superintendent of JCPS, Brian yearwould he made his first I believe it was his first trip to one of the one of the schools, and obviously I think he did a little media Q and A, and clearly he was going to be asked about the transportation situation, buses and all that, and I just remember thinking to myself at that time, this is going to be huge for this guy, right, Meaning however, the first couple of days go as far as you know, getting kids to school, which last I checked, that's a pretty big part of the public school system, right, you got to be able to get the children to school in order to have school, So he could have he could be not at fault in any way directly if it ends up being like a complete fiasco, but just because of the job he's the superintendent, like it's all gonna fall on him, and I just I think that's a very very thankless job, and clearly somebody's got to do it, and it's a.
Speaker 2: Very important job.
Speaker 1: But I'm rooting for him, and I think if parents can do their part in making sure they have all the information that they need in order to help their kid get to school, that could help. That could help doctor Yearwood out. So let's let's do that, and let's let's help him. But today is actually the first day that they've opened up the hotline at JCPS, So with next Thursday being the first day for JACPS, they've set up I guess just this week up until maybe the day of school starting, and I'm sure they're going to clearly be there for you when school starts as well. But they now have information available where you can find your child's bus number, stop location, estimated pickup drop off time, using what is called the bus Teller Tool and that is on the JCPS website. You can also check the hotline which was activated as of As of today, it'll be activated. So yeah, it's a five oh two four eight five ride. It will open up today at nine am. It'll be open to four pm to help with transportation related questions, so they may extend those hours based on call volumes. So again, if you have a kid that is getting set to start the school year with JCPS and you, I mean you need all this information. I would assume a lot of you already have it, but why not just double check. Again, it's the JCPS website where you can see the bus Teller Tool, and then today, starting at nine am, you can call five oh two four eight five ride, which never hurts to be over prepared for something like this.
Speaker 2: Right now, all.
Speaker 1: Families must complete the transportation verification form that is out there, so even if your child isn't riding the bus, so regardless of how your kid gets to school, there there's this verification form that need needs to be In fact, it looks like it already needed to be sent in, but if you didn't submit it by June thirteenth. You know, then they don't have any I guess record of how your kid plans to get to school. So just do your part to help this guy. I mean, I feel like, no matter what happens, he's gonna get blamed for things that he probably inherited. But I think the fiasco that was twenty twenty three whenever they tried to get school started and it became a national story because of just how big of a nightmare it was, that has led to at least for the next few years, and I'm talking about currently still people are gonna there's gonna be so much attention on the start of school to see if it's anything like that. And last year, I guess was a step in the right direction, because I'm not really sure they could have done much worse than what happened a couple of years ago. But again, if parents do their part, that can only help, right. I will talk to Rory O'Neil coming up about five to forty five. Scott's got our first sports update coming your way here in just a moment. Obviously, we bringing Rory. We got to discuss the big news as Trump announced a major US European Union trade deal. We'll get to that, but first it's time for an up Todate eight on traffic. We'll get the latest with Rory O'Neil. I'm not Roy O'Neil, Sorry, Bobby Ellis, I asked. I ask enough of Rory. The last thing I'm gonna do is ask him to check the traffic, weather, Force, traffic and weather for us. I won't do that, but anyways, a check if traffic at weather's coming your way right here right now on news radioaight forty WHS. It is five thirty five here Kentucky and it's morning news. Coffee and company here on news Radio eight at forty WHAS Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, John ald On alongside. Don't forget take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. You can also listen live at WHAS dot com. So you heard John Shinnon mention that airline issue with American Airlines flight thirty twenty three that had to a landing gear problem. Is I guess what caused that? But the visual doesn't have me feeling great. Is I'm about to fly this weekend for the first time in a while, and I think this is probably I was just thinking about it. This may be the longest it's in a long time since I've had this big of a gap between flying. I don't fly that often, but usually handful of times a year, rather it be for a getaway or just work in some capacity. And I don't believe I have flown since last August. So anyhow, I'm sure it'll be okay. But since then, we've actually had a handful of national stories as far as like things you just didn't see for a long time on domestic flights. So I always get pre travel anxieties. I'm just I'm.
Speaker 2: Wired like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the visual of what went on at the Denver Airport very very scary.
Speaker 2: So it says here that.
Speaker 1: They were preparing to depart from Denver to Miami yesterday and passengers heard a loud boom, saw smoke near the landing gear, and all one hundred and seventy three passengers and six six crew members exited via emergency slides. That was it, the smoke coming out of the plane and those seemingly inflatable blow up slides and people carrying their luggage, carrying their kids, and everything's okay.
Speaker 2: It seems like everybody's okay.
Speaker 1: But just seeing that doesn't make me feel better when it comes to potential issues with an airline, and I've never been I've never had anything bad happen to me on an airplane as far as like emergency landing, I bet as far as turbulence, I've probably had a pretty mild experience overall compared to some others. So I've never even had really that scary of a situation occur to me. But it doesn't take much to get me scared when it comes to flying, which I've at least now know. I now know that if there is a story, rather it be a huge story nationally, or maybe maybe not that big nationally, but it involves some type of issue, something happening on a plane. If I don't, you know, I can read the headlines, I can read the story, and that'll that'll scare me a little bit. But if I could just avoid seeing like the panic in people's face as they are getting off of a plane that looked like it was about to blow up, then I would it would probably help me. I don't benefit from seeing the visual of a situation like that, But anyhow, it sounds like those those folks are okay, one hundred and seventy three passengers and against six crew members. That's who had to exit exit that plane, and clearly a pretty scary situation. Now another this isn't this isn't about any type of a flight situation. But this isn't something you see very often. And I know I'm probably one of many that are eager to see what happens the rest of the way here, but there is a Delta co pilot that was arrested. Just again, there's no visual at least that I've seen as far as any coverage of this arrest, but it's just a scene you don't typically see. So a Delta Airlines flight at San Francisco International Airport was as soon as they landed, federal agents stormed the cockpit and arrested the coal pilot on I guess what appears to be some pretty serious charges. And I'm trying there's this overnight. There's been updates as far as what's going on here, and I don't want to get it wrong, but yeah, I mean as soon as soon as they as soon as the the plane landed, I guess, before anybody could even get off the plane, they they had agents storming the cockpit to arrest the co pilot. So I would imagine those charges are pretty serious if that's what they're gonna I mean, that's what they're I mean, I don't know, just I'm thinking about all the potential impact here, right like if the guy, if this person was was aware they were wanted, and you know, they're they're in they're they're involved in a flight where you've got, you know, hundreds of people. I mean, I guess it probably makes sense to just make sure you apprehend them as quick as possible. I mean taking the plane hostage or something like that. I mean, that would be that would be an extreme thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Seeing the the you know, if you're on that plane and you see the guy who was, you know, in some way responsible for you getting from point A to point B on your flight with Delta, and I think it's I mean, to me, it would be pretty clear what they're doing. They're not taking him out, they're not rushing him off the plane because they're excited to see him. It's because they're in fact, they probably are excited to see them, but not for the reasons that you know, you might expect. But that's just me, you know, getting worried about traveling as I'm about to, you know, go on vacation next week, which I'm excited about, looking forward to it. But yeah, you just never know what you're gonna get at an airport, all right. I mean, I'm just taking an allegiant flight from here to destined, so it's not like I've got a long day of travel. But I just I accepted long ago that I have no control over what happens when you travel via airline. You know, you show up, maybe everything's gonna be okay, you're gonna be on time and it's smooth. Or maybe you show up and you know, they tell you, yeah, let's get on the plane and sit for two hours. Then they'll tell oh, sorry, we're gonna have to deboard and take a look at something under the hood. Oh yeah, sorry, note your flight's canceled. We'll get you out of here next week. I mean, that's and if they do that, what are you gonna do? You're helpless? So fingers crossed that it's that it's that it goes smoothly, all right. We're gonna be joined by a smooth individual on the other side, that's royal and Neil of NBC News he set to join us coming up in just a few minutes. But first let's get another update on the traffic with Bobby Ellis, and we'll take a look at the forecast for Matt Melosa, Bitch of wok Ry right here on News RADIOA forty whs. It's about forty six here Kentucky, and it's morning News. Coffee and company with you, Nick Coffee. That's me here on News RADIOA to forty whas. And we bring in mister Rory O'Neil of NBC News, who is joining us here. So, Rory, what can you tell us about this US and United an EU trade deal? Obviously this has been a big talking point, the tariffs for quite some time, and it does seem as if overall this is very good for seemingly everybody involved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we still are short on details. President Trump is in Scotland right now, and yesterday I announced that there is a trade deal with the European Union, although details are still hard to find. It does cap the tariffs at around fifteen percent for most products. There are some carveouts in the mix, especially when it comes to pharmaceuticals. Again, it's a bit of a moving target, but still a positive sign that some deal has been struck. The head of the EU also sounding like she likes the terms that she's seeing in this agreement. And we also heard from the Commerce Secretary this week and saying that they're going to start doing the tariffs on August first. They're not kicking the can down the road anymore. August first is the day the tariffs take effect around the world.
Speaker 1: So let's say that when August first does hit, which again is just a few days away, and others don't take the action that President Trump has been wanting to see, I mean, what's the first immediate effect of that.
Speaker 4: Well, you could start seeing these higher prices, or rather the higher cost to import products from fifteen to thirty percent depending on the country. And as we heard from Secretary Lot, look, they're still open to details to deals. Rather they can you know, if some country wants to strike a deal that helps them out or gets the lower tariff or makes American product it's more accessible in their country, they're still willing to negotiate, but they're just saying, you know, we've delayed this again and again. Remember Liberation Day was announced back in April. We thought the tariffs would be happening later that month and it was delayed to June, and now here we are going to August first. So they're just saying that, look, if we haven't gotten a separate deal, then we're going to have the rest of these tariffs take effect on most products. But remember, you know, this EU deal is important because they're one of our largest trading partners. I think technically they are even more so than China. So it really is important to get these big deals done, whether or not something gets a special tariff and it comes in from Cambodia or Laos or maybe less significant because we just don't import as much from them.
Speaker 1: Rory and ALIVINBC News is our guest joining us here on news Radio eight forty Whas artificial intelligence is seemingly growing at a rapid rate, seemingly every day, I learned something new about how AI is being utilized. Now when it comes to artificial intelligence in this explosion, what does it mean as far as how it can impact what people pay for electricity?
Speaker 4: Well, look, this innovation and this miraculous development of AI doesn't happen, Well, it does happen in a cloud, But it doesn't, but it's actually happening on the ground thanks to these computer centers. These data centers are popping up everywhere. Essentially, they are large buildings that are just filled with computers running NonStop twenty four to seven, and they are a huge power drain. And as there's more and more demand for electricity, we're back into supply and demand old school economics that it's going to force up the price that you pay for electricity. And there are a lot more residents complaining saying, hey, look, this is like Amazon and Google and Facebook, some of the most profitable companies on the planet. Why aren't they paying the upfront cost? And it's because the utilities essentially to predict what their year ahead will look like for consumption, and when they buy it, they're got to they have to pay a premium and that gets passed along to all customers, not just those with data centers. So a lot if you look across the country, on average, electric bills are going up about twenty bucks a month because of these AI centers, and you know that's a couple hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: A year, especially for those who are are still not really aware of what AI is and whatnot. They're gonna they're gonna think, wait, what the heck, why is this impacting my electric bill?
Speaker 2: I don't even utilize this at all.
Speaker 4: Well, right, but that it's the building down the street. And the other thing is those AI data centers don't really employ a lot of people either, right, They're just computers buzzing along constantly. So you know, a lot of times they'll give incentives to bring in new developments. In this case, these data centers don't have a huge spike in employment connected to them. So yet they're good paying jobs that come with them, but there just aren't that many. And meanwhile, we've got higher energy costs, just as we're seeing temperature is hit one hundred degrees and lots of the country.
Speaker 1: Rory is always appreciate the time, Enjoy the rest of your Monday, and we'll talk soon, my friend. Thanks, Vick, Like that's Whorrey on al of NBC News. Yeah, I feel like there are still many, many, many that don't really know much about artificial intelligence, and maybe their only awareness is just the worry that it may that it may not be something you should trust, or it may eliminate jobs which both by the way, both those things are legitimate when it comes to people having those types of concerns. But when you start to have to pay more money for your electric bill because of this, and yet, as Rory mentioned, it's not as if you're you're helping with new jobs in your community, because again, this AI is clearly going to take away a lot of jobs, which, by the way, we'll get this later. There's one city that I feel like is seemingly embracing AI more than anybody else. So maybe they'll be our guinea pig as far as some things, as far as just you know, trusting it more than others. So we'll talk about that a little bit later on. But is now for another update on traffic and weather, and it's got to be back with another update on
Speaker 2: Sports right here on news radio eight forty WHS