Speaker 1: Mister Simon, good morning you two.
Speaker 2: You know them?
Speaker 3: Sure do?
Speaker 2: Are we stuck here?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Jest I, Miss Jean, Join me on a trip to Discovery Mountain, where the air is clear, clear enough to hear your imagination, and where every day is an exercise in faith. Join me for today's expedition. It's almost Christmas and Discovery Mountain. The air is chilly, but there's no snow on the ground, at least not yet. That's good news for the youth group and their polar bear camping. Carson is nervous about trying his leadership skills. How will he do leading out in worship? Will he exercise his faith? And meanwhile, Ariya and Lean just experienced car trouble on their cross country road trip. Can they get the help that they need? Let's check in with them now in today's episode called trust.
Speaker 6: Fall, Mom, maybe we should try starting the car again.
Speaker 7: Lean, I'm sure, let's try.
Speaker 2: It can't hurt, right.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't.
Speaker 7: Nothing, nothing, Lean, I have no idea what's wrong with it or what to do.
Speaker 2: Do we have enough money to fix it?
Speaker 7: I'm afraid we won't have enough money for whatever's wrong. This may be the end of the road for this car. We've been through a lot together.
Speaker 2: It is old. The back door won't open.
Speaker 7: Well, there's only two of us, so we had an extra door.
Speaker 2: You could say, are we stuck here?
Speaker 7: Well, we're in the middle of a state park in December. There might not be another person for miles.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: No hot meal at that cafe.
Speaker 7: I'm so sorry, Lean, but we've got let's see, crackers and grapes and half a bag of corn chips, so we won't starve.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 7: I look, we're in a safe spot, so that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: I am so thankful for that.
Speaker 2: But we're still sort of in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 7: Right I think in the more, we're just gonna have to walk toward the town. It's gonna be dark soon. We can get an early start tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Walk that'll take hours.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Lean, I don't know of any other options.
Speaker 6: And then we don't even know if someone can help us or if we can afford it.
Speaker 7: Lean, I can pretty much guarantee that we can't afford it.
Speaker 2: But Mom, are we gonna be okay?
Speaker 1: Come here for a Hugson. One way or another, we will be okay.
Speaker 6: It feels like things keep getting worse, just one worse thing after another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it does. Is that a car?
Speaker 2: There's someone else out here?
Speaker 3: Good afternoon. Do you need some help?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: Yes, please?
Speaker 7: We don't have any idea what's wrong with the car? A bunch of steam came pouring out right as we got here, and now it won't restart.
Speaker 3: I see. Oh that's not good. Have you called anyone?
Speaker 7: No, I'm not sure my phone even has a signal out here in the park.
Speaker 3: Well, my name's George Simon. I'd be glad to take a look at it, though I know people who would be a lot more helpful than I might be.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure if the car's even worth salvaging. I think I just drove it for the last time.
Speaker 3: You're here, all the way from Vermont.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bit of a long story.
Speaker 3: Well, I think your car problems are beyond what I can help with. But i'd be glad to give you a ride into town if you'd like.
Speaker 1: That would be very generous of you. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I can even give you a ride back in a bit if you need it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't want to impose.
Speaker 3: It's no trouble you can get what you need and I'll be ready when you are.
Speaker 1: I'll just lock up then, Lee and you ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 5: Aria closed up her vehicle and she and Liann got inside mister Simon's car.
Speaker 1: I'm Aria Mason. This is my son Lean.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I spotted you. I don't usually hang out so much here, but a youth group from our church is Polar Bear Camping. Oh fun, fun, adventurous anyway, so.
Speaker 2: We're not the only ones s went to camping.
Speaker 1: Mom, No, I guess.
Speaker 3: Not having your own adventure.
Speaker 1: Uh, sort of.
Speaker 7: We passed through a town not too long before we got to the campsite. I don't think I saw a repair shop, but I wasn't really looking for one.
Speaker 3: Well, we're headed to Discovery Mountain. It's not big, but you should find all the help you need.
Speaker 2: Is there a cafe?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? And Ms Michelle will be happy to help with that.
Speaker 8: But tens up.
Speaker 9: We did it, Lanta.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and it only took four tries and forty five minutes.
Speaker 9: Well, practice makes perfect and you made it. It's finally the weekend.
Speaker 8: Well it's Friday. My mom's still trying to win Christmas though.
Speaker 10: Oh what's happening now?
Speaker 8: My mom says, we're driving to Texas because we need more sunshine this time of year, you know, because it's getting so dark so early out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, my mom complains about that every winter to Texas.
Speaker 8: Janet, it's gonna take forever. Hey, toss me my sleeping bag.
Speaker 9: Well that is a long drive. Are you seeing family in Texas?
Speaker 8: No, that would be fun, but no, for sure, we won't have snow on Christmas.
Speaker 10: That is always pretty.
Speaker 8: What's the point of living in the mountains if you can't have snow on Christmas?
Speaker 9: You know, in Ethiopia people celebrate Christmas on January seventh.
Speaker 8: It's just wait, what really they still.
Speaker 9: Use an old calendar, Julian. I think it's called for religious holidays. I guess it's their tradition.
Speaker 8: Oh well that's interesting.
Speaker 9: Hey, come walk with us.
Speaker 3: We're gonna check out the scenery.
Speaker 9: Wanna go landa sure?
Speaker 8: Uh, but I need my jacket and throw me my scarf. Just grabbing a jacket's emittens. It's fleezing.
Speaker 10: It's thirty seven degrees fair night.
Speaker 3: That's several degrees above freezing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that's still colder than we keep all the flat filador.
Speaker 2: Come on, exercise will warm you up.
Speaker 8: So where's this obstacle close? You talked about hill?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. This park is pretty big.
Speaker 3: My parents took me there once years ago.
Speaker 9: Is there a cave here?
Speaker 10: Ooh, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: We should look for a map, though, Addison, how's your college scholarship quest?
Speaker 9: Oh well, honestly, I don't have the first clue what I even want to study in college.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I should even bother with it right now.
Speaker 11: Oh well, you don't have to stick with what you start with.
Speaker 2: You can try different things and see how you like them.
Speaker 1: I don't even know where to start.
Speaker 2: What did you want to be when you were a little kid?
Speaker 1: You mean, what did I want to be when I grew up? When I was younger?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I wanted to be a fireman.
Speaker 11: Addison Tromblain, woman of fire lit I can picture that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I eventually decided I didn't want to crawl through smoky passageways, So probably not.
Speaker 2: Somebody's got to drive the firetruck. Don't give up on your dreams, ads, So what's your college situation?
Speaker 1: Mister silent man?
Speaker 9: Carson Vermilion.
Speaker 10: Uh me, I'm just enjoying the nice, cool weather. Glad there's no snow on the ground.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: What about college?
Speaker 10: I I don't have a clue.
Speaker 9: Glad, it's not just me who hasn't got their entire life figured out.
Speaker 2: What did you want to be when you were young, Carson, I.
Speaker 10: Don't know a photographer?
Speaker 1: Really, do you take a lot of pictures?
Speaker 10: Not really, I don't have a good camera, just my cheap ole phone.
Speaker 11: Dude, you can still practice take my senior photos with my phone.
Speaker 1: Well, my dad loves photography.
Speaker 7: He always says the best camera in the world is the one you have.
Speaker 10: I mean that's a thought.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it just means to use the tools you have.
Speaker 9: Don't let wishing you had something better stop you from practicing or making art.
Speaker 10: Well, I know that I could get a lot better picks with a proper camera.
Speaker 11: I'm sure, But I've seen some amazing picks people made with just their phones.
Speaker 12: What kind of pictures do you like to take, people, I guess, well, I've only ever seen you take selfies.
Speaker 10: Well, I mostly just photograph my old action figures.
Speaker 2: Really, like with different backgrounds and stuff. Uh? Yeah, can we see. Are there some on your phone right now? Uh?
Speaker 10: They're not great?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, what's happening? Rihanna? Carson was about to show us some of his photographic art.
Speaker 10: Dude, I don't only have anything good to show. When I have something decent, I'll let you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, check it out.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's really a cave.
Speaker 10: Yep, look at the sign Rickman's Cave one quarter mile that away.
Speaker 5: The youth group camp out is shaping up to be a fun weekend. Meanwhile, Aria and Lion are on their way to Discovery Mountain. We'll catch up with them right after this. Let's join Aria and Lian as they arrive in Discovery and look for some help with their car trouble.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Discovery Mountain. There's an auto repair place just up the street on the right. They are depend Thank you. I'll be here at Trekkers. Just come on back here and I can take you back to your campsite anytime you're ready.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Mister Simon, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Come on Lean, take care, Thanks you too.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 7: What now, let's grab some dinner at that cafe.
Speaker 2: Can we get ford it now? With the car broken?
Speaker 7: Down, Honey, I need time to think and somewhere to sit down. Let's get some good food in our bellies and then we can figure out our options.
Speaker 2: Lord willing, okay, Mom.
Speaker 1: Good afternoon for two. Yes, ma'am. How's this table by the window? Great? Thank you?
Speaker 4: Can I get you started with something to drink?
Speaker 1: Water for me? Thanks?
Speaker 2: Leon lemonade? Please, I'll be right back. This place looks nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get whatever you want within reason.
Speaker 6: They've got some great desserts, mint brownies, apple pie, raspberry crumble.
Speaker 7: Let's start with something nutritious before dessert.
Speaker 2: Sun. Can I have breakfast food?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Then I'll have pancakes chocolate chip fine.
Speaker 2: They come with a side of fruit or hash browns.
Speaker 1: Nice. I'll have a spinach omelet. Here you go. Are you ready to order up? Thank you. You're wearing a lot of hats today.
Speaker 3: Oh it's true.
Speaker 4: We've got two of our staff, including Michelle herself, on a campout, so I'm picking up the slack.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, this town must love the outdoors.
Speaker 7: We met somebody else today who said he was out camping in the cold.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful place to be for sure, though I prefer the indoors.
Speaker 8: This time of year.
Speaker 1: Are you just passing through? That's the plan now.
Speaker 7: I'd like your spinach lit and do you still want the chocolate chip pancakes.
Speaker 2: Yep, with the side of fruit perfect.
Speaker 1: Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, we'll do.
Speaker 2: Mom. What are we going to do?
Speaker 7: We are going to enjoy a nice dinner and clear our heads.
Speaker 1: How's that lemonade?
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 7: We need to find some help, but I'm afraid we're stuck here for at least the weekend.
Speaker 2: What do you think is wrong with the car?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: It's an old car that I've somehow managed to keep alive by using it as little as possible.
Speaker 1: I guess this trip was just too much for it.
Speaker 6: At least it didn't die on us in the middle of nowhere, and we have the campsite to sleep at.
Speaker 7: Yes, that is a blessing. Hopefully the weather stays mild.
Speaker 2: Do you think the car can even be fixed?
Speaker 1: Well, anything can be fixed, presumably.
Speaker 6: I was just wondering do they even make parts for it anymore? I never see anyone driving a car that looks anything like ours.
Speaker 7: I'm sure there's a junk yard nearby that has what we need.
Speaker 6: Mom. Yeah, son, I wish I could at least have finished this semester before we left.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was my first semester of high school.
Speaker 7: I know, but I appreciated how your teachers made sure you had the credit you needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'll be able to start at a new school for the next semester, right A.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, mom.
Speaker 2: This town seems nice but kind of old. Oh yeah, where's everyone my age?
Speaker 1: Here you go?
Speaker 4: Chocolate chip pancakes and fruit and one spinach omelet.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 4: Thanks, I can recall your drinks or is there anything else that can help you with you know, To be honest, we've never been here before or anywhere near here.
Speaker 1: Oh well, welcome, thank you. Anyway, our car broke downright as we got here. Oh no, yeah.
Speaker 7: The man who gave us a ride back to town recommended a repair place down the street.
Speaker 1: Do you know how good they are or if they're really expensive or you know, Oh, they'll take great care of you. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: It's the only shop and Discovery Mountain. Is your car still by the side of the road somewhere?
Speaker 7: Oh no, it's at the state park a ways out. I'm not looking forward to the build for towing it.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: You know, I wonder if Stan could help you with that. I could give you his number. Oh, thank you, that would be great, sure thing. Let me go refill those drinks. Oh there's a Wi Fi coat on the wall here. I forgot all about trying to get Jessica's number. Let me just message my friend again.
Speaker 2: Mom. Yes, eat your omelet before it gets cold.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, Lian. I will.
Speaker 5: After their meal, Aria and Linn visit the repair shop and make arrangements for Stan to tow their car. We'll catch up with them at the campground and find out what else is happening there.
Speaker 10: After this.
Speaker 5: Back at the campground, it's almost time for youth group evening worship.
Speaker 11: Let's join them, Carson, are you ready as I'll ever be?
Speaker 10: Alrighty, everybody, it's almost time for worship, so let's all meet around the campfire.
Speaker 1: Mister Simon's back.
Speaker 8: Who have you been? Mister Simon?
Speaker 3: Hey? Everyone, I'm at a family having car trouble, so I gave them a lift.
Speaker 1: Did they get their car fixed?
Speaker 3: It sounds like it won't be an easy repair. Stan help them get their car towed into town.
Speaker 2: Is it anyone we know no.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, they're just passing through on their way to somewhere else. But I know they could use our prayers. Their names are Aria and Leon.
Speaker 10: How about we see a special prayer for them right now.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea I can pray since I've met them.
Speaker 10: Yes, please, mister Simon, Well.
Speaker 3: Father and Heaven, thank you for putting me today where I could help Aria and Lion. You know their needs and we know you're watching over them. Please protect and provide for them and sort out everything according to your wisdom in Jesus' name.
Speaker 8: Amen, mister Simon, is there anything we can do for them?
Speaker 3: Good question. I'm going to check with them tomorrow.
Speaker 10: You got this, Carson.
Speaker 2: What can possibly go wrong? Oh? Everything?
Speaker 1: Okay, Carson, let's do.
Speaker 10: This as you came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Carson, You're going to do great.
Speaker 2: After all, you're among friends for real, Carson.
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 2: I mean thanks? Come on, good.
Speaker 11: Evening everyone, and now it's time for evening worship with Carson and ads.
Speaker 10: Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 10: Today we're talking about trust. Everybody, come over here by this stump.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 10: Today we're going to explore trust by falling backwards. Our man Cyrus is going to demonstrate. Cyrus, please step up on that stump. Sure think boss, It's less than a foot off the ground, but it'll do nicely. Harold Kyler and I are going to stand right here. We've got your back, Cyrus. Cyrus, you'll note that we've cleared the ground of all rock sticks and other blunt objects.
Speaker 2: Just nice soft ground behind me. Got it right?
Speaker 10: Everybody noticed that Cyrus is standing with his back to us and his arms crossed over his chest. Now, Harold Kyler and I are interlocking our hands, creating a net of arms. Addison, will you confirm that our arms are securely linked?
Speaker 2: Can confirm, Cyrus, you have nothing to worry about. Thanks sad, Cyrus.
Speaker 10: Will you confirm that you are doing this completely willingly, that no one is forcing you, and that you understand all the risks involved.
Speaker 2: Uh sure, Carson? All that great here?
Speaker 10: Addison, please assist Cyrus in putting on this blindfold?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 10: Is it nice and snug?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah? But it's plenty dark out here already.
Speaker 10: He's all set, Carson, perfect, Cyrus, set the count of three, fall backwards into our waiting arms. Can't wait, Carson, Everybody?
Speaker 2: Why ye here goes three.
Speaker 10: Beautiful Cyrus, how was it?
Speaker 11: Even though we practic does this earlier with the step stool, it was still pretty unnervy.
Speaker 10: Okay, everyone, pay attention to Carson Cyrus. What have you just learned about trust?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 11: My grandfather always told me to look before you leap, But I guess this was kind of the opposite of leaping so.
Speaker 10: Exactly, so maybe not so much a leap of faith as a well a trust fall.
Speaker 2: Pretty much?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 10: Do we have any more volunteers? One to fall and a few others to catch. I'll fall from the ground or from the stump. The ground works for me.
Speaker 1: I'll catch her me too.
Speaker 10: Me three? Awesome, Addison, help our volunteer with that blindfold.
Speaker 1: I'm on it and perfect.
Speaker 10: It's really dark now, yes, and good job looking up Haley Land and Janet Rihanna? Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: I guess so?
Speaker 10: All right, let's count.
Speaker 4: Three.
Speaker 2: I survived. Great job, Rihanna.
Speaker 10: Now, who wants to try next?
Speaker 5: One by one, all the teens participated in the exercise, either falling, catching.
Speaker 1: Or both.
Speaker 5: Finally, after one last fall.
Speaker 13: I've got you chap on, Jake Okiday, why to three?
Speaker 5: The group gathered back around the campfire to talk.
Speaker 2: Beautiful job everyone, no lasting injuries.
Speaker 3: I think I hit my head on Kyler's elbow, but it's okay.
Speaker 10: Oh sorry, Harold.
Speaker 1: What did the trustfall feel like?
Speaker 9: It felt like I was falling into a void.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm gonna have ninemares about plunging into the abyss Cyrus.
Speaker 1: Was it easier because you've already practiced it before?
Speaker 11: It was still weird, but this time I was more confident they'd actually catch me.
Speaker 2: What does this show you about trusting God anyone?
Speaker 9: Well, a lot of time in life, it feels like you're in the dark, not sure just where you're going or why.
Speaker 2: I know that feeling. It definitely made me think of trusting God. But it also reminds me that we've got to watch out for each other.
Speaker 10: This week, I felt like I was doing a trustfall with God because I absolutely did not want to lead out. But it worked out. Okay. I guess at least snow bones were broken.
Speaker 2: Great job, both of you.
Speaker 10: Strong work, Chaplin Jake, How do we do?
Speaker 2: Did victim? Now? Let's sing? Who wants to start?
Speaker 9: I will Kyler over to you.
Speaker 5: As the youth group told stories around the campfire, not far away? Are you prayed?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: I know I haven't talked to you in a while, a long while, But I don't know what to do.
Speaker 12: Whatever that repair costs, I can't afford it. I think I've made a huge mistake. Please God help us.
Speaker 6: The next morning, Mom, there are definitely other people here.
Speaker 2: I heard people laughing and talking last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 7: I had trouble sleeping, and then I heard the most beautiful singing.
Speaker 2: We should go for a walk before we eat breakfast. See if we can see them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's.
Speaker 2: There they are. Oh, hey, good morning, Hi, good morning you two.
Speaker 1: Mister Simon, you know them?
Speaker 3: Sure do? Would you like to join us for breakfast?
Speaker 5: Director Doug? Would you fall and then let someone catch you?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: That's how a lot of life is, isn't it. We go on trusting God to have our back.
Speaker 5: That's true, and that reminds me of Naem chapter one and verse seven.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 10: I love this verse.
Speaker 2: The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.
Speaker 5: That's a beautiful promise, one that maybe would encourage Ariya.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's worried about her car repairs.
Speaker 5: Maybe the campers can help exercise their faith.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll find out next time.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to Discovery Mountain, where the air is clear, clear enough to hear your imagination, and where every day is an exercise in faith. Discovery Mountain is created by Jean Boomstrop, executive producer Ruben Gomez, director Douglas Bruce, with original music by Danny Columbi, Producers Fiona Lynn, Joe Baker, and Hareem Gonzalez. Discovery Mountain is brought to you by the Voice of Prophecy. You are a