Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the podcast. I am Mark five Hoffmeyer.
Speaker 2: And I am Jay Preacher's cigarettes Cluet. Welcome to your board DEPC the podcast. On this show, we've been to. The entire Deep Sea trilogy is seen by seeing Me in Again, but not today Today it's you saw deep Water months ago. I lamented that I was not able to see it because I didn't real get released here and it's finally come out in the UK. It's finally. I'm still unclear as whether actually was in any cinema in the UK. It doesn't matter. I had a screener. Thank you to the one of the folks you sent me the screener. I've seen the film. We did our spoiler our spoiler free episode a few months ago. Now we're going to go full details about deep Water because I've seen it too. What is Deep Order? It's the new Rainy Harland film with sharks in it.
Speaker 1: Deep In the Plane he loves plane crashes, cliff.
Speaker 2: He los sharks taking out helicopters, the alter crash.
Speaker 1: He's gone. He's digging up all the good stuff here.
Speaker 2: He really is. So what is Deep Order? It is really hardon film stars Aaron Eckhart and Ben Kingsley has two pilots of a flight from May from La to Shanghai across the middle of the ocean. They have engine trouble. Well, they've lose their engine because one of the passengers and angers Sampson, his character who is the bad guy in this film if you want, if you aren't clear, he's not a nice guy. He's stowed some improper electricals in his luggage have sparked cause of fire and killed many people. Crashes the plane, various survivors in various areas, hilarity, and many many sharks in this year.
Speaker 1: There's a shark gang in this movie. So it's you think about you know, the sharks and jets from West Side Story. The sharks were coordinated. They they work together, they danced together, they sang together. This is the same thing Jay.
Speaker 2: They don't see the sharks versus a jet that had to have been the pitch.
Speaker 1: Sharks worst.
Speaker 2: Also, that's our show.
Speaker 1: These sharks are are on cocaine. They aren't, but they are. I was talking to Megan about this, my wife, and she's like, there's no reason why these sharks need to be believable because this is a fictional film. It's a shark gang. They work like just coordinate attacks. There's above thirty five to fifty of them. They are everywhere. They don't care. They're like honey badgers. They just they don't care and they attack everything with I mean speed. Sometimes they don't attack people, which is odd.
Speaker 2: They can get get up out of the water onto boats that's required when needed.
Speaker 1: Megan called this movie what did she say it was? She called it and sharky. It's kind of crazy, like shark anarchy. She makes me happy. Sharks make no sense. They're just chasing everybody eating. There's an octopus jump scare. And how many how many producers do you think there are in this movie?
Speaker 2: Jay? Oh? I know one of them is Gene Simmons of Kiss, who I think Jason Momoa is playing in Supergirl. But other than that, I don't know. I haven't looked into that. Fifty eight fifty eight, that's a that's a lot of producers. I've never there's one shark for a producer.
Speaker 1: You look at you look at Sabing films and like they normally have thirty forty producers, but this I've never counted fifty eight before and so this was supposed to be a sequel to Bait three D. But then when the Malaysian Airlines Flight three seventy went down, they deleted it and then they brought it back with arc like films. They brought in Rennie. They gave him plenty of time to prep and you can tell because he's cooking in this movie the plane crash for Blaine, Ben Kingsley and Aaronet Kurt, they're just the pathos that they give to that scene. I mean it, I hate using like, hey, kids, look at me. Like the one thought in my mind is like Rennie's cooking right now. It's a really like some of the shots in this movie. He had time, He had a forty million dollar budget, he had a good cast and crew, and he made a really fun shart film with fifty eight producers. Also, Jay, this is really interesting too. They you know when they signed up new producers. There's four people who worked on the screenplay. There's two people who came up with the story additional writing by John Kim, but then there's also two screenwriters who did the Chinese character storylines and dialogue. So it's like, Okay, there's a movie and then they're like, okay, you know, they have some of the Chinese money in there, so then they brought it people to write for them. So there's about six writers, fifty eight producers, a huge international cast from people from like Australia, just all over the world China, I mean Australian. Yeah, well yeah, Australia. Any Sampson's playing an angry American, which is interesting. You could just show angry Australian.
Speaker 2: Madeline West is playing the female passenger who survives. She's from like neighbors from Australia. She's not like five hundred odd episodes of that. It's a it's a deep cast. So she's one of the characters who like, yeah, there's a deep a deep cast in the water. She's one of those characters who's like name, we never know, but like her.
Speaker 1: You like her though, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: She calls I guess I'm in the bitch.
Speaker 1: She waits too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a good cast, a lot of money, fifty eight producers, about thirty three writers, a bunch of different scenarios, but it's still works, like I don't I love the Cooks. I still don't know what Aaron Heckert didn't go home to a sick child who is presumably dying. I know that he got yeah, kicked out of the air four. Yeah, sure, because with no pension benefits.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're pen King's your lists off for Aaron Eckart's backstory. He tells Aaron his own backstory, which is fun. Yeah, he got kicked out of the military for punching a superior officer, lost all of his benefits and his pension. Really and now and now it seems like he's you know, he's got a six son, very six son, and he just like can't cope with that, doesn't want to be any anywhere near it. It's kind of running away from the situation. But not actually like estranged from his family. He is still very much married to his wife and father to the kids. He's just never home, which I don't know, Uh, he just needs to spend some time with another kid for a while. It turns out it would.
Speaker 1: Be amazing at the end, like you want to go home actually put Yeah, that alson, it ends and like what's going on? I mean, for a second, I thought they're gonna cut Ben Kingsley's leg off this movie.
Speaker 2: It's a real, like he gets a nice Captain of the Titanic moment. It's like it's singing in his room, in the cockpit, in his room.
Speaker 1: There's the most aggressive sports athlete of all time, American sports athlete. Sure you don't know what sport he plays?
Speaker 2: This is true? Yeah, yeah, I wondered that the first time around. What any of these because he calls the Chinese kids like sports. Yeah, sports, I don't know. Captain keyboard he calls one of But yeah, he just seems like a very American sports bro kind of guy. But he comes around, you know, he's he goes through some losses and then I actually I really liked his arc. It's his hutch, look to Johnson. So he starts out a drunken bully who's like hitting on the US. The name Lisa, he's born Lisa sports and like his his mate apologizes and his coach takes him off. Later, the coach and his mate die because of not because of after a suggestion from the mayor Chinese kid whose name I don't catch. This is the thing as so many characters and very few of their names are said.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the the a terrible mom I looked her up. I forgot her. But she's Joe Kenneman's wife, Victoria's secret model. And then I don't even know the name of her terrible husband and father.
Speaker 2: Declan I got Declan said a couple of times, Ryan Brown. Yeah. But the but the jock kid, he like, you know, he does his friends because of after a suggestion from the Chinese kid, and then he like gets anger interests the kill the kid. And then Anon Katt shows up and like, Hey, we're gonna calm down, We're gonna keep our heads. I'm gonna he isn't immediately deputized. He's like Aeronkott's second in command. And like that seems like a odd choice to kill people, but it's the right choice because that guy with without any responsibility about anything to do any motivation, he's just gonna get anger and try and kill people again. But you give him someone to do, you give him a job, he give him a motivation, and he falls in line and he is on it and he becomes like a good guy. And I liked I liked that progression. Like if someone's angry that you don't don't just going to dismiss them, help them, give them something to do. There we go, Okay, he's just lost his coach. He's lost his coach of Aaron Ecott is now his coach. He steps up. He was the assistant pilot, he was astant coach. Now he's in.
Speaker 1: So I always say, I hate being that guy. So I'm gonna get some names here. Sam and Lily are the sports athletes. Okay, Cora is the little girl.
Speaker 2: Finnish brother.
Speaker 1: Benner. Oh yeah, okay, Finn stop saying things.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: I like that kid. And then they find Zoe, who's like a beast. Mode startis, for lack of a better term, flight attendant. Zoe's a beast.
Speaker 2: There's a few beast because that Penny is another one. She's the one with Aaron at the start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a beast. Seven time rough waters champion or something. Uh, Finn's a little kid. And then Ben tells his family that he's coming home. I doubt it.
Speaker 2: I think he is. I think you know, he's been through a lot. He's probably not gonna be about to fly a plane for a little while. I think I haven't looked into this, but I feel like, if you if you're a pilot going through a plane crash. Regardless whether of your foot or not. You're probably gonna give him a little bit of time to decompress before you get back behind the yoke.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: You know, it's been how many years since he was studies. Don't fly with our neck cut is a lesson to be learned from this.
Speaker 1: I mean they actually you might want to fly with them.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of people died in this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's the thing. He lands that plane, He and he and Kingsley. If it wasn't for that stupid reef, they would have been pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I it wasn't his fault that Angus Sampson and this brought in a lithium battery that exploded. That's the scariest part of this movie because I used to you fly a lot, and you're like someone lied about a battery in their backpack. You're just yeating on the plane.
Speaker 2: There's so many people on that plane. Everyone's got a laptop or a charge of some kind. They cannot all be functioning. This is this is a real, very real danger in every flight. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks running, But it's such a great plane crash, such an incredible sequence.
Speaker 2: It like fifteen minutes long. It's over over a minute of the plane crashes then hitting the water. It's like a minute in ten seconds is the water collision because you see it from everyone's perspective and it's all great. I loved every second of it. It's so varied, the way that people are taken out. There's like wine bottles being smash into people's faces, like people exploding in the hold. That's great, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: Two guys get no, they don't get smushed. Two pilots get blown up.
Speaker 2: They almost get smashed. They kind of dive out the way, and then the flaming baggage block whatever it is, then falls into the some like oxygen canisters and it explodes and one of them explodes through the fuselage, punches the hole through it. It's incredible. Let's so yeah, those two guys just get fried roasted.
Speaker 1: Ronnie knows what's up. Yeah, they gave him time. And it's such a it's like fifteen minutes and anytime you have Aaron Eckert and Ben Kingsley, the bricklayers, Aaron Eckert in there like, they add so much to it. I love that scene. And then you know it's interesting even though the characters I joked about not remembering their names. I knew where they all were in relation to each other, which is good. I knew that number number five was with Thinn and he and Zoe Zoe. Now I know, I'm called him number five. I actually forgot his name.
Speaker 2: His name is Matt, Matt named Matt, Yeah, Richard Crouchley.
Speaker 1: It's such a butt in this. He's he's mean to our lady and uh, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, she's mean right back to him.
Speaker 1: But she's being nice at first, right, Shelley Winters is being nice at first, She's like, this is my grandkid. He's like, oh cool, and then he just looks away and then she's I mean, is.
Speaker 2: She being nice or is she interrupting this guy? This stranger in public transport as somebody who will often be like editing a podcast, watching a film, and on a train. I don't want people talking to me. He's clearly doing some writing. Leave him alone.
Speaker 1: I don't like him. You know, are different travelers. I get roped into like seven hour conversations on planes when I can could have gotten work done.
Speaker 2: So it's I get people try and rope me in. I back away up at my headphones. Back on.
Speaker 1: She keeps whispering to him, number five, she's a nine, you're maybe a six. I'm like, wow, go on hard on this.
Speaker 2: And then he dies, what if I've got a good personality, you don't, don't.
Speaker 1: And then the immediately he takes notes so that a lot of people learn in this movie Jay, So he gets called the number five Matt. He gets called. He says he doesn't have a good personality. Then he starts looking after this little kid on the plane, being nice to him.
Speaker 2: He does. But then when it comes time to like they decided to swim out of their their area they're in, Zoe, the stewardess is like, I'll go, and he's like, no, not on my watch. Even I've got a broken wrist. I'm gonna do it. And I feel like that's a negative mark in his personality that he's like he's he's stepping up and being mat show and like protecting the lady when like she could properly have she we see like that she does swim out, she can do it.
Speaker 1: I told you that that sucks. He's not a good guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not on his side, but I feel like him he's I guess he's trying to be a better personality. He's just failing.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean in that situation with the broken wrist, you wouldn't be like, no, perfectly healthy person. I'm the man, I'm gonna go swim.
Speaker 2: Totally happy person trained for this situation.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, please see you later. I'm hanging out with Becky and uh and Finn here. So it's and how about the terrible parents? What are they?
Speaker 2: Terrible parents leaving their two very young children to be on their own in the plane and go and have sex in the bathroom?
Speaker 1: Is that? And not answering when the girls at the door going, dad like, you don't know what happened their spouses?
Speaker 2: We do? We see declan again, we see the dad again.
Speaker 1: Uh huh no, no, no, we don't know what happened to her mom. I'm sorry to dad, like whoever, you know, we don't know what happened to their significant others. So this girl could be, you know, reeling from a divorce or something and this guy gets married really quickly and she has a divorce.
Speaker 2: Is the best scenario that could be dead? Like, these could be two orphans.
Speaker 1: Now, Megan go, she's better off because they were just street ignoring them in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Aaron has got another kid to bring home. Now, yeah, he's collected another couple.
Speaker 1: Is he gonna adopt them?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe?
Speaker 1: Then he leaves again. The wife is like, why.
Speaker 2: Stop bringing kids home?
Speaker 1: Sick kids home? Oh this movie is a hoot. There's a shark gang everywhere. I mean, there's not much about which is annoying. So I tried to read.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's new, it's it's new. I guess it's not. I looked at a huge film.
Speaker 1: Blu Ray coming out and it doesn't even have a commentary about about the digital copy, no commentary, which is annoying.
Speaker 2: I feel like Rannie and Ben Kingsley should do a commentary. Then Ben Kingsley leaves when he characterized that's what they should.
Speaker 1: Do in the sexy Beast style. Yes, just channeling that guy good pool work in that movie. By the way, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure ben x X rated commentary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, this is a two point five on letter box and it hurts my soul. I know it has a fresh Tomatometer score, but I don't know what else people want from this movie. It's a lot of fun, it's it moves very quickly. There's some stand like the plane crash is excellent, the shark gangs are good. The there's plenty of death. No kids are murdered. I know Professor mcdillan wanted a kid to die, but it I mean, yeah, it's a little hokey. And there's a subplot like the guy we're supposed to be cheering for is just running away from a sick child, which is a choice.
Speaker 2: I will say, I'm not happy that this has a high school than Deep Lucy. That's that's that seems wrong.
Speaker 1: Though. That just gives us more ammo for Deep Blue C. That's why we love it so much, because it's a good movie. Deep Blue See is way better than Deep Water. Yes, but it's fun seeing Rennie play to his hits. It's like absolutely plane Crash to his the most successful movies, Cliffhanger, die Hard, Boom, love It, Plane Crashed. Then he has sharks, I mean night An LM. Street four a shit Freddy Shark, and then there's Deep Blue C. There's a helicopter explosion. He's had plenty of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, Dieoto doesn't have one.
Speaker 1: Twelve Rounds, Five Days of War, does Long Kiss, Good Night? It does long kiss good night has a hell I didn't, I didn't I tell that to explode. I found a screenshot and that's the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's.
Speaker 1: Like one of his best movies. You know, he was cooking with the Brick Layer. That fun. So in the Brick Layer, Aaron Eckert uses trowels in different brick making tools as weapons. He should have hit a shark with a wing or or she just stabbed it with the captains you know, the little pins. He just like unbuckles it and stab in a little He stabs a shark in the eye with the pilot thing, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or just the more play memorabilia. He like incapacity one with a life jacket. Putt puts a bunch of jackets on the shark and said it can't swim it more. It's just like bobbing up on the surface.
Speaker 1: And then there's thirty humans who are like, what are we gonna do? The sharks like, I mean, you got me. Yeah, this is a unique situation.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do now.
Speaker 1: The sharks attack other sharks in this movie so mean, they're insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted more sharks, if anything. Like there's a lot of sharks in it. I wanted more, not more sharks, more shark action. I feel like there's there's quite a lot of scenes where there is a shark in the scene, but you can't see it. It's not present, which is, you know, a budget situation. I get it, they've got a lot of access to pay. I just wanted a little bit more variety of shark action, not just like, oh, like the get us the sharks again us. Yeah, that's true, but then it's it's because you know, with deep S, there's a lot of shark based variety in across that turgy in terms of how we attack and where and why, Whereas this is very much the sharks, the bad guys. They're gonna eat you. It's pret much all we get, which you know, it's fair enough that's in this.
Speaker 1: And there's no shark glory shot either. If you think about dangerous animals, that shot of the great white, that's a gorgeous glory shot of a shark. I think The Shallows has a couple of those as well, even forty seven meters down uncaged and forty seven they have big old g caged. Oh there's a news shark movie coming out with the Catherine Newton.
Speaker 2: I knew that was coming out.
Speaker 1: Amazon and the July. But yeah, going back to this, there's there's really no glory shot. I know the shark jumps all the water and Eckert kicks it, but yeah, there's no awe. This is just a This is like a almost it's like a band of zombie sharks or a gang from attack on what assault on Precinct thirteen, or just nameless foes attacking.
Speaker 2: There's no one like this is the main shark. This is the crown with a crown with a crown and a scar. Yeah, well yeah from Hot Tub. It's not Hot Tub Hot Spring Shark Attack. Hot Spring Shark Attack our favorite film. Yeah, it's a wonderful film, Giant King Shark. If you haven't seen Hot Spring Shark Attack, do you sort a favorite? Serious? But this is a serious recommendation. If you've made it this fire top podcast without watching Hot Springs Shark Attack, my God, watched that film, you will not be disappointed.
Speaker 1: And we got a lot more Japanese shark films to talk about next year.
Speaker 2: We we should we should cover a hot Spring shark attack every year. It's just every and crud we haven't done yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah we have. Yeah, we haven't talked Tackled Crawl yet. We still need to talk about comedians, alligators.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff to talk about in our reptile year, but medians, Oh yes, sure, yeah, Adam. We're not going to cover every reptile film this year because there's too many, but that's okay. By doing this, we have like opened the door for reptile films, even though we had done Alligator and Allgates too prior to this. This is this year is like clearing a bunch of ones off the board. But we'll still get Anything we don't cover this year that we want to cover, we can still cover some other year. It's fine.
Speaker 1: This movie, this is one of the better ones.
Speaker 2: It truly is. I watched this with my wife. She likes it. She doesn't like any of the films we cover. We got to the end of it and she was like, that was pretty good. Actually, that's such high praise from her.
Speaker 1: Megan loved it. She gave it four stars. That's which makes me happy. She said something funny about the sharks too. I have a couple I have a couple of things I want to talk about here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: First, I just want to say that gold status isn't that great. I just want to put that out there, you know, And Angus Samson's like, I'm gold status, but I mean, I guess if you're delta at silver, gold, platinum and diamond and diamonds kind of where it's at. My wife has platinum, makes sense. I'm just silver. But you can't be like I got gold, Like that's not a flex. So I I like that he's so cheap that he's like, I'm gold okay, cool, Like that's neat. You fly with us, but it's not like a super edition. Maybe on this flame it is. But also Megan called the sharks frisky, which makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they seem pretty active as sharks. They did that. They're no like hero shots of the Sharks. They're not still at any point. That's no, Like they're always they are always. They're always getting out of the frame.
Speaker 1: Ah, munching on people. And it's I don't know, it's in and out. It's a quick movie. It's less than two hours. There's way too many characters. But you know what, the one thing that's fun about watching this with Megan is she kept she was complaining about the kids. Then she was complaining about the parents, and then she didn't like Angus Sampson, but in a good way, like this movie gets a reaction from you. I think it's meant to be fun. I think it's meant to be good like things like that.
Speaker 2: When when we saw Angus Samson like smoking in the nice smoking er at the start and just being rude, my wife was like, he's going to die first, and like, no, no, he's going to die like last, what are you talking about? This guy is? This guy is color. This guy is like a presence. He's going to be around for a while. You're gonna him. But also like he's an actor that you recognize from stuff, like he's not going to die first, We don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm a big Angus Samson guy. He's great because he plays like insidious. He's in the Insidious movies. I love those, The Mule, He's in what like Mad Max Fury Road Mechanic pops up in What Next Goal Wins furiosa deep Point. He's in They Will Kill You This Year?
Speaker 2: He isn't. I just saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I think whenever he's in a movie, you know you're in good hands if that makes sense, because you're like, I like this guy.
Speaker 2: He's a good character act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just big presence and you could you know what's fun is he You could tell he loved be in such a jerk and I think that's a little infectious as well.
Speaker 2: I think he always loves playing a jerk, that he's gonna playing jacks.
Speaker 1: He's great at that. Well, no, but he's not a jerk. In the Insidious movies.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen them, Okay.
Speaker 1: Lynn Shay, she plays a character called the Least and the best thing about the Insidious franchise. It's about a bunch of nice people who are dealing with something out of their control. So in the first film they're haunted. They move to get out of that house, but then it's like no, it follows you. And there's stuff where the kid used to travel and they made it. They made him forget, but they started dreaming of it again, and then his kid he had had got the power. Really interesting stuff. But Lynn Shay plays a Lease. She's like a demon hunter fighter, wears great card against nice little jackets and she's just super nice. Goes out of her way to save people, but puts herself an incredible danger, and she teamed up with these guys Tucker Inspects, Leewan Allen, Angus Sampson, and they help her. But they don't try to extort people. They don't try to make anything up. They legitimately just try to help people. Like they're I don't think they get paid much. I don't think that they They're just nice. And so I think that's why One of the reasons why the franchise does so well is it has good jump scares, but also sometimes it's nice not living with terrible people or watching terrible people for ninety minutes. And so he's he's super nice. He's sassy, but he's a nice guy.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Nice, And I like in Deep Water. You know, smoking is a big thing for him. Smoking early on it saves him, like during the plane crash because he goes to the bathroom to have a cigarette and when he comes back to see he was in and gets ripped out at the plane. And he also uses cigarettes as air plugs. But then later in the film when he's in the life raft, he reaches for the cigarettes and that's what kills him. So like relaxing trying to light a cigarette even by shark. No one reacts, just a slight smile from a couple of people that hate him.
Speaker 1: Starscard gets cigarette eating and then he gets.
Speaker 2: Cigarette exactly this is this is it if you like, if you try and light a cigarette near a shark in a Renny Harden film, you won't basically.
Speaker 1: And so the biggest problem with this movie though, is there's not really not much to explore because there are I don't know if there's themes, because it's two kids who are left orphaned because their parents have a rendezvous in a bathroom. Megan made a funny joke and they cut like so this cup the family's too like impossibly good, look at people. Parents, they go into a bathroom they're gonna hook up, and then they get knocked unconscious and then like the ladies of Pants on Button and Megan's like, is that guy's thing just hanging out? But yeah, it's like they're orphans. But I'm not quite sure what happens with that. I guess there's a love story told. And then because hey, man, just read the letter and like ignore the date your esports teammate. It doesn't matter. I guess jerks can Yeah, I like that line. Jerks can become better. Very aggressive jerks can turn it around quick if you just give them something to do.
Speaker 2: Yep, guys trying to punch them of their way romantically, we'll get eat and buy shucks. I mean that was a bit when Matt tries to get to swim out and then we don't see what happens to him, and then later when Zoe and and Finn swim down and they see a corpse. First time around, I didn't clog, so that was Matt. Yeah, I don't. I've bought second well. My wife was like, that's the guy, is like, I'm not sure if that's the guy. We saw him uprom the service. He seemed fine, but it's clearly him, but he's missing his glasses. He has very identifiable glasses early on and post Shunkteck not wearing the glasses. I don't have good facial recognition, so I need that kind of facial furniture of people to be like, hey, that that's the same person. Like wearing a vague check shirt doesn't really help me in terms of identifying somebody.
Speaker 1: And he had limbs missing, So if you identify people from their limbs, you would been in trouble.
Speaker 2: Too, do generally? No, I tend to count, thank you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Two, three, four?
Speaker 2: Ok? Yeah, okay, same person got it?
Speaker 1: But what I mean, I guess Zoe is and I though, because wait, we're talking about all around human So she saves the day, she saves the kid. She's good with a tourniquet. She puts him in the boat first, and then she has the wherewithal to cover him in blankets to keep them safe. So I mean, if we're talking as far as humans go, she's a nine. No, she's like, let's give her a ten.
Speaker 2: And well, put to Matt's credit, he puts the mask, the oxygen mask, on Finn before he puts on himself, which is a flagrant breaking of the one rule that everyone knows about those kinds of things. The famous rule is put it on yourself before helping others. But he ignores that rule. He's a rebel. He puts on the kid first.
Speaker 1: Then you're making here.
Speaker 2: No, it's a bad guy. It's a rule and he breaks it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's so. I mean, don't punch, don't try to punch about your weight. This is in a nineteen nineties movie where the nerd gets the girl for lack of a better term, because that's what all those movies were about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if if that happened DJ Qualls playing this character in two thousand and three, then yeah, he would have.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Or has never spoken to Jennifer of Pewitt, but he writes her letter yes, and.
Speaker 2: She know she falls in love with him. I think, I think, what.
Speaker 1: A great letter you wrote me. Who are you? I'm gonna pour my heart and soul. Jesus. The movies are very regressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to not another T movie when there's a bunch of people with lets.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna hook up with you, but I'm gonna give you Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: That's fine result, I guess better than what would happened in real life.
Speaker 1: Ye, fair enough. And ws the room always stop when she walks in here. It's funny. I love. I had to watch that once for a Chris assignment. I had to watch all the Chris movies and there's some good bits in that film. I like, give me another word, so what like this?
Speaker 2: It's the first ever film that I watched and then immediately watched it again.
Speaker 1: That coach is the most profiting coach. Ever, the guy keeps getting concussions.
Speaker 2: I watched it video, watched it again. They watched all of the special features, all of the internets. I freaking up that film.
Speaker 1: Jamie Presley is an underrated comedic actress. I know she had a good career and my name is her role. She's but she's very funny. She her timing is yeah.
Speaker 2: Perfection T to the fourth power? Why time to talk to you?
Speaker 1: And I also I spell a lot of things wrong because of that movie. There's a scene where's like it's a secret s E C R A P T like c crap h. I keep I spell things wrong because of that film. I don't know why I reference that, but it's a good movie. And then she falls down the stairs into the basement. Another teen movie is.
Speaker 2: A shock parody film. I feel like that possibly could be this, like I mean shock na, but a.
Speaker 1: Proper one, like yeah, not another shark movie, but not one where they just recreate scenes ago. We're funny because we're recreating scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we referenced it. They're forty seven meters down and how people go to the shallows.
Speaker 1: We're forty eight meters Yeah, please don't do that.
Speaker 2: Stop it? Everyone stop it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is a rollicking movie with a shark gang, good performances, and you can you know who the you can identify all the characters that are around and it, and the geography is laid out well you know where they're at. However, there are scenes when they're like, the current is way too strong, but no one's moving.
Speaker 2: They mentioned the current a bunch like that. They're over there next to that rough they'll swill to it. The cars just strung. And then at one point, Echo is like when they trying, there's like this the day is say by the Chinese trawler at the end, which feels like a note I a studio note. You know it works. And there's even like some plot with them, like there's when they catch the fish, like finally, oh, we can be proud of Like it's really like perfect storm. Guys over here like just trying to get a good catch and they finally get one. They have to release it to save these strangers. But when they truller stop because the coral, Echo is like the current will take us into the deep water. He's got real gravel going on in his voice. He's got he's got really like ground gravel voices. So we're talking this film my neck yard. It's yeah, but yeah, they've talked about the current a bunch way more than they possibly should.
Speaker 1: It must be a nightmare. I was thinking, it must be a nightmare. Capturing no swells, you're right.
Speaker 2: Lane parallel to the swells or into the swells. The debate, the debate still opens. What you should think?
Speaker 1: The current is so strong and then they're just nobody's moving. But one thing I like is they're obviously in a tank and the water for the most part looks like murky ocean water. There are waves, which is nice. So I mean, I think the tank work is good in this movie, and I really hope those fishermen get reimbursed. I would talk to my government and be like, listen, plane crash in the ocean. We have we caught seven mythical mermaids and then we had to let them go for the sharks to eat. Like I would just make up a story, but like, can we get reimbursed for this this or at least the flight or the airline, Like, listen, we had a good haul and we dumped it to save your crew. To prevent more lawsuits, can we just get some cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it wasn't for us, you don't have to pay all these people's families even more money. So we should get the yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then what are your favorite moments in this Who are your three favorite characters and your three favorite moments moments?
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't count the plane crash as one big moment because there's so many little moments in there. But I really like the wine bottle smashing into the guy's face. It's just a memorable in the In the crash, I really like that. But the multiple times when Anger Sampson like gets out of the water and pushes somebody else whilst he's getting he.
Speaker 1: Kills two people several times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and another angle Samson moment helped me. I'm an American maybe chuckle a tail.
Speaker 1: I like just pulling in a big aggressive Australia and making them American and making them worse.
Speaker 2: He really leans into the Yeah, there's three moments that I like. Oh, actually, no, my favorite moment is the octopus jump scire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like what.
Speaker 2: Is film, it's badly in it. It's just for a second and it's gone, and yeah, I'm here for that.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you. It's like, get out of here, like that's what it's saying, guys go go.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's like finding Dory their warding.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so I'm going octopus jump scare. I'm going. When Shelley Winters later on the movie, she looks at the guy and goes five, just whispers that in his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's trying to he's trying to open the door that will release the air pocket and kill them all, and he goes, oh, I'm sorry, I won't and it's.
Speaker 1: Like and then I love a flare gun. So I like that a shark explodes from a flare gun.
Speaker 2: We almost got two, but it jammed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, nothing blows up, and it makes me very happy. So yeah, and I like the overhead shot when the three sharks are just slowly following Aaron Ecker to the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Or to the plane, I'm sorry, the plane which has been floating with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's it's going down in fifteen minutes. He realized that it's been flow overages. But it's only got fifteen minutes after before it we'll go down, which you know it has sunkbit because it's now only just only the top of it is up, whereas previously, like there were people in it. I like the I like the variety. I tak you a message about this, how like this isn't open water. This isn't like a couple of people in the same location for an hour and a half. This isn't blackwater. There's like distinct different situations and locations everyone's in with like Kingsley trapped in the cockpit, which is underwater. You've got people in the fuselage that's balancing precuracy on coral. You've got the Becky and Matt and that in the tail end of the plane that's up, that's pointing down, and they've got the Apple getting there. And you've got like Lily just in the water, just lands in the She's the one person who lands in the water to just swimming. So I like the variety there. And it just hops around between everyone a lot. That's my favorite kind of shock film is one where it's not all in one area. And your top three characters that you asked me for, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen Dan as Angus Sampson.
Speaker 2: Because of course he's the most fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's so perfect. Whoever cast him, just one of the fifty eight producers who hired the casting director, should be applauded. I think I think Ben Kingsley adds a lot to it. I like when he's like, are you gonna punch me? Like you look like you're gonna fist fight me there, and he's like, no, I wouldn't hit You're just annoying. Like there's some pretty good banter, but I'm not going to count him.
Speaker 2: Ben Sinsley is so old. I mean, no disrespect to them, but he is eighty three. Wow, he didn't he didn't. He didn't film this this year, but he's like approximately eight when he filmed this airline part is supposed to retire at sixty five. FYI, but I like how the film opens with like him doing karaoke. Hello sorry. It opens with just like shots overhead shots of the sea, and then like a Ben Kingsley silhouette just kind of walking across the sand, no reason, none at all, don't doesn't matter, love it. And then he's just doing karaoke, singing the same old song fly Me to the Moon, and pointing to three much young half his age women and goes over and talks to them, and he's bragging the next morning to the Taranaka and the fly attendant there. Yeah, it always works like this guy is eighty Yeah, eighty year old Ben Kingsley still got it pulling it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Dan, I'm taking Dan. I'm going to take you know what. Zoe is not much of a character, but I would hire her if I was, like, if I had any job of like, hire her because she's she's good. She saves kids, fights sharks, good, a tourniquit, keeps her head on her shoulders. Pretty much a saint. So I'm gonna hire her. I got two I'll do. I'll do Zoe Dan and Aaron Eckert. If I had to record his sound, I'd be so pissed because he's like, yeah, I kid is sick. I just don't really even know. Aaron, can you speak up? Well? You know it's tough. So yeah, that'd be paying to get to his dialogue.
Speaker 2: But the problem is he doesn't have a top lip. He doesn't have an upper lip.
Speaker 1: That's why I needed the mustache.
Speaker 2: And yeah, in this film, like I've said it before, he looks like a muppet of an easter island heads. That's how I can only pay Jame. Especially when he's talking. He has a wide straight mouth. I feel like if you're making a puppet oh of an Easter island head, you would get Aronecker. This sounds like an insult. He's a handsome guy. It's just whatever he's there's like a close up and his face is footing the screen and he's talking. Or I can imagine if somebody's got the hand inside him and it's just hinged at the back and that's him talking. I couldn't. I couldn't stop noticing that he doesn't have an upper lip. It just just has lower lip. I don't understand. Let me work, no, and this isn't one.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking at like the two thousands photos upper lip? Okay, Aaron, at.
Speaker 2: Some point it just went into his mouth and never came back out again. But yeah, you look at him in the dark, Knight, it's there. He has an upper lip.
Speaker 1: The strangest thing you've ever said, But I see it now.
Speaker 2: I can't help it was it was all I could focus on. And his face is full screen so often in this I'm looking at old I think like post twenty fifteen he needs to have a mustache. I'm sorry to everyone who I've ruined Darren.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then I'll take I like her. I like Lily Esports. I'll take Lily because she fights back, she doesn't take crap. She's trying to get this dude to like read her letters and stuff. She's trying to break the rules. She's on her own. She ends up surviving. See, I'll take Lily.
Speaker 2: Those are my three I will take. I'll take Penny, the stewardess at the start who goes to get like swims to go and get the raft and doesn't make it.
Speaker 1: She's good.
Speaker 2: I like her. Yeah, if she had made that, I think I feel like she would have been like one of the main characters. But unfortunately there is a shark that gets her. Yeah, she's like one of the first main characters to get taken out of My Shark. And I'm gonna take I'm gonna take the job. Going like Hutch because I like his arc, Like this is more based on him at the end of the film than at the start. He comes around. Don't let him have a drink. He's not He's not a good drunk. But I'll take sober hutch and I'm not taking one of the kids. That's not gonna happen. Yeah, you didn't actually take Ben Kingsley. So I have Ben Kingley. Yeah, Ben Kingsley. It's like when when they're gonna chop his leg off, He's like, no, not my leg to proy, get me out? What do you acts my foot?
Speaker 1: Fools Ready always does get good performances out of people he knows how to. Maybe he just gives him the freedom to be themselves on set because he's so professional. But yeah, I think he does a good job. There's good performances in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a good film. I'm so happy I've finally seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: I would have I would have liked to have seen it in a cinema.
Speaker 1: But hey, I was bothering you for a week ago a week you watch yet you watch it?
Speaker 2: Yet? No?
Speaker 1: You watch it?
Speaker 2: Thought I had to watch the Sheep Detectives.
Speaker 1: I made a joke. I said that that movie is bawling at the box office.
Speaker 2: True, it's a delight.
Speaker 1: I love made like one hundred and forty million.
Speaker 2: That should have made double that. It's great. It will Yeah, I was very happy to guess the ending. I love it in a mystery where I work it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, you trying to work out things I don't try.
Speaker 2: I was just like musing to Asia, like, oh, it'll be funny if this was the ending, and it was, and she is. She gets that happens often and it infuriates her every time. I've just seen too many films, that's all. It is, seen too many mysteries.
Speaker 1: Jay, the detective clue it only it's.
Speaker 2: The same thing as happens in that film. But I only work for films. Real life useless.
Speaker 1: If you like blamed the wrong person in real life thinking you get it right.
Speaker 2: There are ramifications, unintended immifications.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Jay, you're bringing it today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry. So do you want to know how deep blue and at sea a deep order is? Yeah? Yeah, listeners, this is your first time listening to the show. Welcome, We've covered all the.
Speaker 1: Guests first right at the guests.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll let you know. I'll set it up so as this is deeply see the podcast. Every new film we watch, I go through a second time and work out how deep everything on screen takes place there, how blue everything on screen is, and how much of it takes place a sea deep blue c is of course, approximately fourteen and a half meters or forty seven and a half feet deep. How about thirty one percent blue and eighty nine percent it takes place see mark. Do you think deep water is deeper, bluer and more at sea than deeply sea?
Speaker 1: It's not deeper. Uh no, because even when they're in the even when they're in the plane, that's not under water, I don't think, because it's sticking up in the air. So it's not deeper. It's it's not more. It's it's you know, it might be bluer, and then it's it's definitely it's more blue. So wait, it's not as deep. It's not. It's more blue, and it's not as much at sea.
Speaker 2: It's definitely not as deep because of all the flying. Yeah, So it works out at being on average one point three kilometers thousand up in the air, which means it is slightly lower than Airport seventy seven on average, and slightly higher than conn Air. Of course a wonderful Connor only just a pile than Connor. So it's one hundred and fifty eighth in our deep rankings. Only eight films above it. Wow blue, noess, it is not as blue as it is cloat. Yeah, Deep see thirty one percent, this is twenty two. It is quite blue. Yeah, Like the seats are blue, the uniforms are blue, the ocean is blue. But there's also quite a lot of it where the ocean is green, like all of the stuff in the section there's just green water. There's not a lot of shots where they're underwater and it's completely blue, which Deeps has a lot of.
Speaker 1: Just thought about that.
Speaker 2: So it's bluer than the last breath less blue than a tank as seventy seventieth on our ranking, and at sea it is not not as much as sea. It's sixty one point six percent at sea because a lot of it in the air they don't actually crash until like about twenty five minutes in, and also a lot in ten percent is in the void. So many, so much credits in.
Speaker 1: This film fifty eight producers sure they'll get their own dramatically as Deep.
Speaker 2: Well, so it's it's more at sea than killer whale. Let's see then orca of twenty second in our ranking so far yeah thematically so yeah, thematically we work out is it other characters thematically deeper than indep z. I don't think they are. And there's there's so many of them that there's not enough time to go in deep with with with many, Like Aaron Ecker's got a lot going on in terms of the not going back to his family, but we don't really dwell on that quite a lot. Like it's like set up at the start, kind of mentioned at the end, but in between then he's just a guy. Yeah, basically, yes.
Speaker 1: Is it more sad? Is it bluer?
Speaker 2: That's interesting because these characters aren't inherently sad. He's got a pretty sad life with the family.
Speaker 1: I mean, Chilly Winters eats it. She's bummed about.
Speaker 2: That, says goodbye to a phone background of her granddaughter.
Speaker 1: The kids are pretty bummed about their parents. Aaron Achert's like, I'm not going home, my goodness. I know he has to provide and maybe he's the only one with insurance, so he keeps working. But no one hits as sad as Janice is in The Blue sy Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are deaths in this film where people are right happy afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: No one's like Yeaes Sguggin's got it.
Speaker 1: And are they more lost?
Speaker 2: They know where they are much so they kind of know where they are, but they don't have the locator.
Speaker 1: That's true. I love it when people drop something and blame somebody else. Well, you should have held it.
Speaker 2: I love that you who went to go and save a child, you should have done this thing as well instead of just give it to me a reason, a reason seeming adult who just threw it in the water.
Speaker 1: You can't combat that either, because it's so insane and the people say it like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the anger. Simpson's character is like comically frustrating. All he does is he's like he blames for the crash of killing everyone when we know it's entirely his fault. And even after that's happened, he has been pushing people in the water who have their diet So.
Speaker 1: I guess they know where they are in d blue c they don't know where they are in deep water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say more lost in deep water.
Speaker 1: We did it, Jay, We got we got Catherine Newton, shark, we got chum, we got another l Seve movie coming up. We got more, we got more shark stuff, we got snakes on a plane crawl.
Speaker 2: You're you're gonna go and see millions and monsters on you.
Speaker 1: I'm taking now next weekend, yeah, not this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because I believe there is a shark in that at least. So I need you to report back whether I need to go and watch it or not.
Speaker 1: I mean everyone needs to watch those movies. I love them a lot.
Speaker 2: I've yet to see Amnion's film.
Speaker 1: So they put they put a lot of money in my pocket. So I like those movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very I'm very happy for you and for them. I just haven't seen them. Yeah, we did it. We did it awesome, So that will do it for deep Water Mark. Do you have any plugs?
Speaker 1: I got some stuff coming up. Well, listen to movies on the flicks, but I got some data stuff coming up. I figured out how far a much Paul Daniel gets beat up. I don't know when that's getting released. I got a couple of the works that are really dumb and really funny, but I don't want to spoil them. So yeah, I got things working. Jay Nice.
Speaker 2: My sight is life has this film dot com not a lot of that, but you can follow this show over on social media at deep Blue Seapod or email us Deep Blue Seapod at gmail dot com next week. This is actually officially the last episode in season six of our podcast, so we have official seasons kind of. I have tabs on my spreadsheet, and this is I'm called It is the end of season six, which has been our longest season today because it's been the entire covering the entirety of Deep C one again seen by scene, So there's been one hundred and six episodes in this season, which means that next week, season seven begins with our Deep C two commentary, which we have already recorded. As we gear up to go back through DeepC two scene by scene again, we have to reintroduce ourselves to it with a commentary. We've done it, I've edited it. It was a fun time. We had a if you want to hear Mark count for a while, come back next week for the Deep C two commentary. What there's a bit we just start counting, just counting. Michael Beach films.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'll just power just listen. That's good. I'll take I'll take that.
Speaker 2: The Sharks are amazing. Yeah, a wonderful film. I'm looking forward to getting back into it again after that we're gonna a bunch of a bunch of snake movies coming up soon as well, so look out for them. But yeah, as for deep Water, I have been Jake Klutz and I Mark five half Myer will deep Blue? See you next week, saying aurah h m hm