Speaker 1: To a law enforcement departments throughout the United States. The only national program that brings you authentic police case history.
Speaker 2: Gangbuster the Case of the Costume Killer was an old hand in his trade and a hardmaster to his apprentices until he learned the first lesson of society at the hands of skillful detectives.
Speaker 3: And now the Gangbusters, and facts that show the.
Speaker 1: Operation of our law enforcement officials in their war against the underworld. Gangbusters is asked Chief Ja Pitcock, who recently retired as chief of Police Little Rock, Arkansas after thirty one years of service, narrate by proxy to Knight's case.
Speaker 3: Inside facts in the Case of the Costume Killer.
Speaker 4: Chief Pitcock.
Speaker 1: From what you've told me, I know to Night's case is so fantastic. The facts about this criminal are hard to believe.
Speaker 5: Yes, Don Gardner, but I've got his signed confession to murder right here in my hand.
Speaker 3: Well, when did you first hear of this man, Chief Pitcock? Well done.
Speaker 5: Our reports start not too many months ago in the city of Paragold, Arkansas, A tall, slim man about forty had been sitting in the front parlor of his rooming house.
Speaker 4: He'd heard a knock at the.
Speaker 5: Door and he was on his way to answer it.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, how almost us?
Speaker 6: We well come in, Come in, Joey, don't stand there like a tad old field house. Yes, sir, look missus, don't be sorry.
Speaker 3: Because don't tell me, hey, come on in the power Hitz.
Speaker 6: Spend your days and nights trying to pound little something in their punkin head, so maybe they'll mount to something.
Speaker 3: Get in there. Yes, sir, well, I'll be gone. Tell me, boy, get out of here. I think he wasn't born with the town. I tried, mister us.
Speaker 4: We honest, I tried it down, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: Now you got to listen to me.
Speaker 6: Boy. For years, I've been showing kids how to do this. Kids they all think they're smarter than you.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't think I'm smarter than you. Honest.
Speaker 6: Well, if you're listened close to me and done exactly like I told you, you wouldn't have no experience like that. I tried, misters rich you didn't do.
Speaker 3: It like I told you. You didn't do a thing I told you.
Speaker 6: I was awfully scared that cop came pretty close. Half were closely left, and you'd listen to me. And if you'd opened the window, Like like I showed you how to open it, you'd have been in there and out with a stack full of stuff before that cop even get close.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, yes I would. But but nothing.
Speaker 6: I got boys all over this city, and that's other cities. I showed them what to do and how to do it.
Speaker 3: I me and you are going.
Speaker 6: Back that start night, and me and you are going to come home with a gunny sack full of stuff here, sir, And then after we get that, I'm going to show you a few other things. How to disguise yourself up good so nobody can pick you out, how to pick a lock with just happen. I'd to break a man's arm with just one twist.
Speaker 4: Do I have to learn that?
Speaker 3: Of course you gotta learn that. Boy. Sometimes you gotta hurt people.
Speaker 6: Sometimes even you don't hurt people, you get hurt yourself and hurt bad. Did you ever hurt anyone? Only because I had to bad bad enough? I killed him, killed him only two. Oh that's when I did my time for.
Speaker 3: And if and I had.
Speaker 6: Killed the third one, I wouldn't have done no time at all. And I got soft hearted, serves me right. Whenever you get soft hearted by no, sir. Now you listen to me and I'll tell you how we're going to get in that star tonight. Maybe you ought to use the glass cut of some more spoish you got it.
Speaker 3: I got it, okay, Joey. I'll give you a boost. Up. You unlocked the window. Here, I grab a horse, ill kape them. Now up you go, okay, now reach in unlock the window.
Speaker 6: Yes, wait a minute, not a little higher now O kall you okay, I got it, good boy.
Speaker 3: Now come on down.
Speaker 6: So if you Evan you did it back this last night, we wouldn't have had all this bother to night. We got your gunny sack. Yes, sir, okay, I'm gonna boost you in. You know what to take and when you get it, you meet me back the room.
Speaker 3: Hat you're coming in with me.
Speaker 6: Kay, But one way to learn, boy, and let's do it yourself till I street. I'm stand there arguing with me. Now come here, I'll bouche fair.
Speaker 3: I'm up you go. Oh gee, that's enough, Now jump.
Speaker 6: Down everything all right, yeah, says so good boy.
Speaker 3: I'll see you back the room. All right, all right, I'm coming Joey. Yeah, it's me it's the second come in boy, Yes, sir, I had good work. Boy, you did find you. There's a gunny second, I got a mistaste. I left it in the shed and I told you to bring it so I could give you what you got coming.
Speaker 4: I was gone.
Speaker 3: But but but what boy?
Speaker 6: Speak up?
Speaker 4: There was a cop waiting in front of my house.
Speaker 3: A cop.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing.
Speaker 3: I saw mists and off a good things. You snitch if you're doing going. I didn't have anything to do with what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Now then we don't.
Speaker 3: All right, boy hahing, This cop is waiting for you. That ain't good. What do we do? Well, I'll tell you. Boy, Hey, you go on home, get to bed. But the cop you don't matter none. Boy, you got no record, You get off easy.
Speaker 4: But I don't want to go to jail. I don't want to just give.
Speaker 6: You a talking to with me. It's a different time on prole. They send me back prison for life. You wouldn't want that to happen to your old friend slim Osury, would you?
Speaker 3: Oh no, sir, I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Well, now you see why I got leave down anyway, I got some some my other boys to look in at I'll be in touch with you.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 3: You hear from me, You're a good bye.
Speaker 5: So Don Slimmersury, a parole, murderer and tutor in crime, fled to his native town of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where he sought refuge at the home of his sister Etta.
Speaker 3: But slim Ousury is sojourn.
Speaker 5: And Hattiesburg didn't prove as pleasant as he had.
Speaker 7: Slam slam slam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's telling you now?
Speaker 6: I ask you know, we the garden stead just sit there all day, like you with a landlord waiting for his ram.
Speaker 3: If you want the garden, we did yourself. I ain't Budgetetta ain't budgetingning on.
Speaker 4: The Slimmy just ain't right.
Speaker 3: I see like you did a city all week.
Speaker 6: I don't know how many times you have to tell your slim you ought to be out working like other men.
Speaker 3: I'm looking here at her. Have those work I felt like doing. I'd be out doing it. There ain't no kind of work around this town I feel like doing. Can't you get that through your head? If you don't work it, you're blown back at the penitent. Now, look here, said the penitent, talking me like that at her. The whole town's talking about you.
Speaker 4: They don't know what you are. I got to bear the shame cast.
Speaker 3: I could see that you sent back to.
Speaker 6: Jail, and well I should have dirty my hands on you. Find whom you give your own?
Speaker 3: Brother? Hulwas nagging. I don't know when to stop. Guess it was a mistake. Kicking your mistake not coming back. I guess you better leave, Slim. I reckon your best.
Speaker 4: I want you to be packed when I get home.
Speaker 3: What time you're coming back? I will be back till late tonight. Hey, what who's going to fix my supper?
Speaker 6: Nobody?
Speaker 3: You're not eating here again?
Speaker 6: Oh and you send me back?
Speaker 3: No penitentiary. He ain't even going to think about sending me back.
Speaker 5: That don was the moment Slim Usery made up his.
Speaker 3: Mind to murder his sister Etta.
Speaker 5: He knew she would walk home that night, and he waited in the clump of weeds until.
Speaker 3: He heard her footsteps. Had nice time, Who Slim?
Speaker 7: You scared me?
Speaker 3: What were you doing back in those weeds? Did you lose something? No? And just fixing to lose something, that's all? What do you mean? Nothing at a nothing? Tall all?
Speaker 4: Packaga?
Speaker 3: I don't want you in my house tonight. I changed my mind that I'm staying. Who said so? I said, So that's who I'm not in my house. No, if you don't go to right, I'm calling the police. You call him at her, you call him Slim. No no, no no, he's try to send me back and tend you who you treat her brother? You you han sure you teach her brother?
Speaker 6: And if they.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't all that, h you.
Speaker 8: M heavy herf cloxam dephti clockson. This is Slim asrie, yes, slam Hu, it's my sister Eda.
Speaker 4: Depty clocks and she she left the house. Es did go visiting.
Speaker 3: She didn't come home all.
Speaker 8: Night where she goes Slim, But I don't rightly know depty clockson.
Speaker 3: But you know Eda that didn't like her. Something must have happened to her.
Speaker 4: Now, would you would you help me find her?
Speaker 8: All right, Slim, I'll be right over.
Speaker 5: So don The murderer Slim Uzury reported to the authorities that his sister Etta was missing, although it was Usury himself who killed her. But in carrying out his plan to fool the police, Uzury ran into unexpected difficulties.
Speaker 9: Okay, let's break right, here more from Gangbusters right after these messages on six seventy WMAQ.
Speaker 2: George Burns and Grazie Alis, Austin Blackie, Edgar Bergen, John and Blanche Pickerson.
Speaker 4: This is Stan Freeburg.
Speaker 10: Would you pay sixty dollars for sixty of the greatest old time radio shows of all time?
Speaker 4: Well now you can by ordering old.
Speaker 10: Time Radio's greatest shows, a sixty episode collection for only sixty dollars, The Whistler, Gangbusters, Philip Marlow, gun Smoke, and many more, all on top quality cassettes housed in a designer case. Plus, you also receive a twenty page anecdotal booklet giving you the inside.
Speaker 3: Story to each and every show.
Speaker 9: Hold everything stand. This is Carlamari, owner of road Radio Spirits, with a special limited time offer. If listeners call right now and mention this radio station, they can take ten dollars off the sixty dollars price. But you must call right now and mention this radio station for this special ten dollars savings.
Speaker 10: Hey, you don't have to convince me. Order toll free one eight hundred Radio forty eight. That's one eight hundred seven two three four six four eight.
Speaker 4: It's time for Internet Jeopardy. I'll take Internet Service Provider for one hundred.
Speaker 11: They're the fastest growing Internet access.
Speaker 4: Company in Chicago Land. Who with tech Port? You're correct, you control the board.
Speaker 3: I'll take technical support for five hundred, the.
Speaker 4: Company with three twenty four hours support. Who with tech Ports? Right again? Still your turn? Give me Internet Best Buys for one thousand, Bob. Now listen closely. They're the company which offers unlimited.
Speaker 11: Internet access, a free home page for new subscriber's email, and free setup for only one loa fee of nineteen ninety five four month plus the first thirty.
Speaker 4: Days are free. Who with tech Ports right again?
Speaker 11: Now, if you answer this next question correctly, you'll double your money and walk away the new Internet Jeopardy Champion. How can people sign up with checkboard complete Internet access?
Speaker 4: That's easy, Bob?
Speaker 5: They call one eight hundred eight three zero forty eight eighty or log onto www dot tech inter dot com.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, you are a new Internet Jeopardy Champion. Head.
Speaker 11: Remember check forty is your best source or complete Internet Access? Told eight hundred eight three zero forty eight eighty. Now let's get back to Gangbusters.
Speaker 1: You are telling us Chief Pitcock that slim Osray murdered his sister Eta and then reported her missing.
Speaker 5: Yes, dam, and an investigation was started.
Speaker 4: The weeded area of the neighborhood.
Speaker 5: Was on the list of places where deputies thought the woman might be found, and the search there was in progress.
Speaker 4: Depty clocks, yes, Lam, you don't reckon.
Speaker 12: We find that in here if anything happened at us and break my heart.
Speaker 7: I know how you feel, Slimy.
Speaker 4: Let's cut the.
Speaker 7: Talk and look, okay, a man, what's the matter.
Speaker 3: What's the matter?
Speaker 7: She find something?
Speaker 8: Slim my, ood lord, I don't go away from my slim come away.
Speaker 13: From I don't sleep a week and I get the man who did this.
Speaker 3: I don't sleep a week. I mean.
Speaker 6: Hello, depty clocktion lam.
Speaker 3: They said you wanted to see me, yes, went over and said.
Speaker 13: Out sure, dep Clox, Well you got any idea who killed my sister?
Speaker 8: Yes, Slam, I've got a few ideas.
Speaker 3: Well, you just tell me who it was. I could ring his neck and my two hands, I could, you could what?
Speaker 4: Slim?
Speaker 13: Well, you can't blame me, undeaf to Clarkson, Holy letter, never did no harm.
Speaker 3: No one murdered cold blood like that. You killed two men yourself. That was different?
Speaker 7: What was so different about it?
Speaker 3: Well, I paid for it. I spent nineteen years with the way and I you don't think it was me killed let her? I didn't say you killed her, but you could have. Well I didn't.
Speaker 12: Would I be killing my own sisters for.
Speaker 7: I haven't any idea?
Speaker 13: It's a fine thing.
Speaker 12: I come down here to help you, and I get accused of murder just because I've been in little trouble once or twice. You you can't let a man have no peace, not even when the affects and yea, his poor sister.
Speaker 7: Hey, Slim, huh, come, maya?
Speaker 12: What do you want?
Speaker 6: How come it was you, out of all the people looking for it to that found her body.
Speaker 4: You seem to know just where it was.
Speaker 3: She just happened to be while I was looking. If I kill her?
Speaker 13: You don't think I'd be fool enough to find a body, do you, Sliam, I don't know what to think?
Speaker 5: Well, don A few months went by and no new evidence turned up. Then one day Slim Usury left town and went to Little Rock, Arkansas. Shortly after he arrived, Gusray walked into a costumer's shop on Commerce Street and asked to look at a wig and mustache outfit he saw in the window.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, finest wig and mustache and little rock.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, man, it seemed better.
Speaker 4: I take it you're going to a party.
Speaker 3: Oh, I figured on a couple of parties. You gotta looking glass here. They look good on Maybe I'll take him right and back you sir. Oh yeah, the mustache sticks right on. I can see how it walks. Very good, very good.
Speaker 4: Indeed, nobody would recognize.
Speaker 3: You not with that on?
Speaker 7: How much?
Speaker 4: When? Now let's see?
Speaker 3: Uh, that'd be h eleven dollars and eighty cents with the tags? Okay, shall I wrap.
Speaker 5: Up on it?
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 3: Rap him? You don't think I'm going to wear them?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: Do you?
Speaker 3: Attention? All spots? Are you an alert? Prevandon or auto round? All agency? Seek sin scott are several hundred dollars in cash.
Speaker 5: This man, described as tall and slender, apparently wore black mustache and whak as this guys caution this Spanish arm.
Speaker 3: Oh come on in, sergeant, what a morning, captain?
Speaker 6: I had that witness look at every picture in the file.
Speaker 3: No luck, not with that wigan mustache. Disguise, good disguise, you know, I can't remember anyone using a disguise like that on a hold up in years. This must be an old timer.
Speaker 6: Victims thought he was about forty, Captain. It doesn't make him too much an old timer. I wonder if he bought that Wigan mustache in one of the shops here, a little rock.
Speaker 5: Maybe, But they can't tell whether that stuff came from their shop until they see it.
Speaker 3: And it looks like we'll have to get our man before they can see it. How almostas eh? Well, joy, sit down, boy, sit down.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 6: Moustache told me slim Joey. People around here know me slim. Okay, slim, I greevy you growed nobody be it Joey on not aks letter?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 6: Well, I uh tell, as soon as I got your letter. Yeah, now, I wrote you boy cause I like you and I wanna do.
Speaker 3: Something for you. I'm sure glad to hear you didn't build that reformatory. Oh, I was like you said, they gave me a talk and say, well let me go. They haven't caught me, said that, good boy, Joey.
Speaker 6: I uh figured when I.
Speaker 3: Got your letter you will needed some help, and not just yet. Boy. First you gotta finish your lessons. Lessons, but I.
Speaker 6: Could do okay now I've been doing okay, Well.
Speaker 3: Maybe you could, but we gotta be sure about it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Tonight I'm gonna try my old disguise trick again. You recollect I was turning you once about disguises.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here, I remember my boy.
Speaker 6: Tonight, I got a nice little old cafe, all picked out, be so easy.
Speaker 3: I won't need help from you. I wouldn't need you even if you was ready, So you just stick around.
Speaker 7: Rice fries.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, what do you have?
Speaker 4: They got?
Speaker 3: Reach? Unch a minute? Everybody quiet, Wait a minute, I cut nothing. I mean to hurry. Why the dough, I'll get it, I'll get it. Hey, hey, hey, it was an accident. I don't lack accidents.
Speaker 11: I don't anybody.
Speaker 3: I hope I'm gone.
Speaker 4: Anybody follow get him? Get him? Get him?
Speaker 3: How bad is he? Sergeant? Luckily?
Speaker 6: Not so bad?
Speaker 3: Both flesh worms.
Speaker 4: Captain, this is wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hello, mister Wallas. How do you feel now?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Not bad, considering I'm Captain Crossman. Oh oh, mister Wallers. Do you think you could recognize the man who held up your cafe and shot you?
Speaker 9: I I I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe I could have. I don't know that mustache anywhere? Is this the mustache?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. I'd swear that's it.
Speaker 6: It was following in an alley near your cafe. The whole up man was seen running up that alley.
Speaker 3: That's that's it, alright, thanks mister Wallers.
Speaker 7: We know where it was bought.
Speaker 3: Now, all we've got to do is find the man who bought it.
Speaker 6: Enjoy just I canna tell all my boys, you're miss doing something one way, no matter how many times it worked, it ain't good no more.
Speaker 3: That seems crazy to me. What do you gotta do? Get another mustache?
Speaker 7: But please?
Speaker 6: And everybody else under that mustache and wig trick, and I gotta try something else. Yeah, but you promised I could try the mustache trick and I said no, bye, And I say no, I mean it. Maybe we pick up and go someplace else and try it, but not here.
Speaker 3: In little Rock. It's not swim and we're just getting set here and I don't know where I'm going to stay or not. They got a big charge against me. I could have killed that man last night.
Speaker 6: The other guy was shot up.
Speaker 3: A little serves him, right, I mean I should have killed him.
Speaker 6: Sure, so either been number three, Joey, number four, number four?
Speaker 3: You heard me. I mean you've killed somebody since I saw your last whatever I did. If you want no account and getting back, we gotta change our way of operating. But you've got a joke. Oh where you're going, I'm going out to samre and now watch up where you go and what you do?
Speaker 4: Just going out to get you a present?
Speaker 3: Present by for me? Sure the one for myself. I'll le see your latestlim Oh, captain, there's a sergeant Woods.
Speaker 6: We've got men planting at that costume store.
Speaker 7: Nothing doing yet, captain.
Speaker 3: Ok there, and at the other store is too.
Speaker 6: Okay, Captain, but it's pretty much of a shot in the dark. It's spelled to be a chump to come back for another mustache.
Speaker 3: But if he does come back, I want a welcoming party for him. Joey, Yeah, slam open up, wait, ben boy, get him here. I told you I was going out to buy a present.
Speaker 4: Set it there.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, that's it. Well, don't stand there, boy, They're going to give it to me.
Speaker 6: Give it here, I get two of them.
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 4: Give it here? Boy?
Speaker 6: Not until you promise I can use.
Speaker 3: One one what one of these mustache outfits? Mustache outfits? Uh huh, I can't get it.
Speaker 4: Go please let me go with you.
Speaker 6: Glad you get it at the same story you showed me.
Speaker 4: Please lem you hurt me.
Speaker 3: Please. I had to get you, boy, I had to beat your brains out.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Please, you could have got the cops here. You know that there were no cops. I look, no cops. I'm positive, but I didn't see anybody.
Speaker 6: Well, as long as you didn't see no cops, I guess me. No cops coming, guys, I'm sure everything's okay. You didn't listen to me, Joey, I killed people. Don't pay no attention.
Speaker 3: I slim, don't do nothing. Come here, you're miserable going. Didn't mean nothing, mean nothing.
Speaker 5: Please please, officers, you're under our right.
Speaker 4: Huh me Please, I didn't do nothing.
Speaker 3: He was trying to kill me. See about that, son. Come on, both of you, I show your pulling.
Speaker 4: Come on you, okay, kid, let's go.
Speaker 6: No, I don't want to go to jail.
Speaker 3: Come on, boy. It's just not a lesson.
Speaker 4: It should have been the first lesson. It should have been the first.
Speaker 13: Show down.
Speaker 3: That was the end of the teacher of crime.
Speaker 5: And Uzrie, who thought he had committed a perfect murder, made the worst mistake of all. He told someone about it, and the boy Joey, told the police and the Little Rock jail William Musray confessed the murder of his sister Etta. Uzree was returned to Mississippi, where he died in the electric chair in the Forest County Jail a few months ago.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations, Chief Pitcock, to you and the men of the Little Rock Police Department who solved this terrible crime. Principal roles and tonight's dramatization were played by Bill Smith and Jack Crimes Don Gardner speaking Gangbusters as a Phillips h Lord production, And that's