Speaker 1: He'll be be bad. Hey everybody, welcome to Game Best Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Kojama's next next game and is Marathon leading Bungee into a brick wall. It's gonna be a good one because we have Janet Chhoe on the show, which is brought to you by because it's still brought to you by kind of Funny. I have that written here from last week, still brought you by kind of Funny. Why the hell not first Jana show? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: That's right? Tim?
Speaker 1: Greg, back up the bag. Yeah once again. If I just keep saying it, they have to keep paying us. I'm pretty sure that's how commerce works. I'm a business owner.
Speaker 2: They have really nice ice at the kind of funny office.
Speaker 1: See that's that's that's how you know they take care of their people. If they care about the ice machine, they care about everything else. I always like it when other people know that there's such a thing as the good ice. I like that makes me happy that you know that, jan because I feel that very much as well. I'm always on the search for better ice right now. I like the cylinders with the hole in it. Those that's some good ice right now for you, right now.
Speaker 2: The only ice the Giant Bomb supports is the kind that makes your drinks cooler and colder. All right, we'll get it twisted, all right.
Speaker 1: If you happen to hear any ads like that on any of our podcast, please let us know.
Speaker 2: Please let us know. Yeah, grub like, sometimes you don't want like the freezer taste or the fridge taste, and they'll just like ruin your day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what is what is what that fridge taste? I don't know. I got the I got the brid of filter in there and that's working right now. But I put that in the fridge I have down here, which doesn't have a lot of food in it. It's just other drinks, so mostly avoids the fridge taste. But yeah, all right, jan Hey, week two, we're on this thing. I'm feeling pretty good all the boy. It's it's there's still a huge mess behind the scenes of like figuring out everything pieces together, and Summer Game Fest is just a couple of days away, really, if you think about it. We're still trying to make a bunch of stuff happen. I'm you know, I think we can do it because it's us. But I also think I'll have several more white hairs here within the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was already getting white hairs due to other circumstances, but now it's like recombined efforts with work. I think I can file for unemployment growth.
Speaker 1: I think I think we can. Yeah, I think I can too. Actually, I'm gonna I should do that here pretty soon. I don't want to let something like that slip by. All Right, you know what, though, let's get into this show and let's explain ourselves. This is Giant Bomb, a small team of video game dupases who rely on your support so that we can make cool stuff. If you want to help, go to giant bomb dot com slash Join It gets you ad, free shows and some other extras. Really the most important thing, though, there is it's the way to ensure we can keep doing what we want to do. We have lots of ideas, we have lots of things. We want to do a handful of stuff that would be premium only, but that would that's going to be here and there for the most part, We just want to do cool things, follow through in our ideas, and that's going to be possible with your support. I've been told by the people in the back that PayPal is getting fixed, getting updated. They're working on it. So if you signed up, if you went to giant bomb dot com slash join and you chose chose the PayPal option, it probably said something like fandom, Well, we've updated that, so now all that money just goes directly dust. Don't worry about if it went to fandom. They We've got it worked out with them. It's all good. But uh, if you've never got processed in that like seven day free child trial, there might be some issues. The team is working on that. They might be sending you an email with some instructions on how to fix that up or whatever. But yes, the team is trying to get it going right now. Once again, though giant bomb dot com slash join, if you want to help us out here on this show most days, I Jeff Grub will help pace your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You are watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Kideo. Kojima reveals his next espionage game, Phisiant is fifth five to six years away. I was gonna say fifty six years away. It might as well be. Yeah. This is from Jordan Midler over at Vgcdeo. Kojima has said that one of his next games, Visit, won't be released for five or six years. Kochuma recently spoke to French magazine lay Film fross Hall, during which he was asked about the adaptation of the Death Stranding film, which is currently in production at A twenty four, and if he'd like to work on more films in the future. When asked if he'd like to direct a film, Coachman replied, oh, yes, I received many offers after leaving Konami. Coachman went on to explain that he has multiple video game projects in development and that he may consider making a film once Death Stranding two and Phisiant are complete besides Death Stranding two and this is a quote. Now there is Phisiant in development that will take me another five or six years. Maybe after that I could finally decide to tackle a film. I grew up with cinema directing would be a kind of homage to it. Besides, I'm getting older and I would prefer to do it while still young. All Right, So he wants to make a movie in the meantime five to six years for Phisiint, which was originally announced in January twenty twenty four during a PlayStation state of play. I was like struggling to remember exactly what this was jan But this is like him promising in many ways to like, I'm going to make a metal gear again, and it's not going to be called that. It's going to be something new and I'm going to own it. But basically, I'm making one of those games again five to six years. Does that sound right to you? Sure?
Speaker 2: Grub, knowing the scale and all the oddities that Kojima likes to throw into his games, five to six years, sure, let's just let's just round up. Let's go ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I mean I'll say, at least recently, his work at Coachman Productions outside of Konami has been you know, it doesn't. It hasn't taken the most time to get these games out. They've all come kind of come out in about that many years, four to six years, and that includes Death Stranding one and now Death's Stranding two is which is a follow up. I guess when did the last win? Did the first one come out? Was it like gosh to twenty eighteen? Maybe it's maybe it's longer than I'm thinking, But either way, I still think that he hasn't These games are not getting delayed over and over again twenty nineteen, Thank you, Chad. Okay, so, yeah, six years, right, I believe five to six years is possible. But also then I think after that he's probably not going to be like, Okay, I'm going to have time to direct a movie. It probably is right back into yet another game, although he says he doesn't want to make Death Stranding three necessarily, we'll see what. I guess, what do you want from Kojuma?
Speaker 2: I The problem is, I think I've spent a lot of my time doubting Kojima, and I think at this point I'm going to let him cook, but I'm going to let him cook at a distance, because I think the more attention you give Kojima, the more distracted he gets with his other extracurriculars.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Want to see him work on a movie, because you know, look at his whole repertoire of games right there. He's heavily influenced by cinema in you know, really liking something that doesn't automatically mean that these skills translate over. But Kujima does have an eye for editing. He could definitely edit some of his scenes down. But I'd be really interested to see him give it a stab in a more substantial way than he has with like, you know, any of his scenes in games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of almost wish that, you know how, in the celebrity book or celebrity celebrity author space, there's a lot of like co authorship now where it's like James Patterson and and he'll get like another celebrity in there who's like co Like Obama is going to help me write a spy thriller that takes place in the White House. I kind of wish movie directing had the same kind of thing. Even though like that, like the co authorship in books is super cynical in a lot of ways, But I in a way that I kind of like, it's like so hey, Like I don't know, it feels like wrestling to me in a lot of ways. I kind of wish Kojima could just like partner up with another director and Koachima can just do the bullshit he wants and then someone else can make sure it all works together. I would I would love to see like something like that, like a pro am situation. Although his his quote here of I like to like, what does he say here? Someone in chats just said it in a good way. I think of my movie as an homage to cinema. Sounds like a line from on Cinema at the Cinema, from Tim and from Tim Hideker. It's like it really does sound like something you would say if you wanted to sound eerodite about film or whatever. Uh yeah, that's Kochama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like he's he's always tweeting. He's always posting about, you know, sitting down in the cinema watching the newest thing. But I'm curious, like, I don't know, I want to watch him watch a movie, right.
Speaker 1: I want him to do the thing like Shi lah Boof did where he's like watched all his own movies and just had a camera pointed at his face. I want to Kacha should sell an only fans that's just watch me watch movies.
Speaker 2: I'll do it. I'll sign up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got my money for sure. You know. Excuse me. Death stranding, desk stranding too. I'm like more interested in those at this point than I have been at any other point for dest stranding games where it's like this for any one really came around with the director's cut by all accounts, and now and now two is it feels like everyone's saying it just gets going, it just gets into the fun. I'm like, I'm kind of in the mood for this weird project that that coach must spend so much time on. I'm not necessarily excited for him to like go back and be like, now I'm gonna do my independent metal gear. I almost wish that that was not something distracting him on the horizon. Obviously he's got that there's an O D game oh that he's working with Xbox on as well, which comes out between these two things. I suppose, but I don't know. I kind of wish that he would was like stretching out into places that are completely unfamiliar to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this goes. This ties into an issue that I've had as of late with games Grub, where guys, we don't need to announce something, We don't need to announce a project before the work is even started. And you know, I completely recognize that some of these announcements are tied into draw talent into a studio, for sure. Oh sure, yeah, but there's got to be a better way than announcing a game eight years too early, or like announcing a studio getting opened way too early. And you know, because because then you're definitely dealing with an uphill battle of people not only comparing you to the previous games that you've released, but now like there's an unrealistic expectation of whatever this next project is, and it does harm the studio, It harms the old tour when something goes astray.
Speaker 1: Yep, h for sure, And I think, like you said, we see all the reasons why something like that does happen, and trying to you know, attract talent or to say the thing that Sony needs him to say, in order to make the you know, exclusivity deal, you know, to lubricate that that those gears so that deal can get done, that sort of thing. But yeah, it still leaves us in a situation where it's like, all right, I don't know, tell us more about it when you have something interesting in the show, and in the meantime our skepticism might grow. Yeah, uh, all right, let's move along here. A report has explained that, and this is a quote, the vibes have never been worse at Marathon developer Bungie. This is from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor. A new report has peeled back the curtain on the current situation at Marathon and original Halo developer Bungie, showing the studio is very concerned about the game's launch and morale is at a low point for many working there. This comes from Paul Tassi at Forbes and follows Bungie admitting to the use of stolen art in Marathon. I think we talked about that on Friday. This is apparently the fourth time Bungie has been found guilty of such action in five years. Jesus Christ, I didn't realize it was that many times. Which doesn't exactly help fan sentiment. According to the Forbes report, the vibe has never been worse at Bungee with morale in freefall. There apparently have been some changes made to the marketing plan, but there remains a lot of anxiety about the game's upcoming September launch. Everyone has the same concerns about what happens to Bungie as a studio of Marathon bombs. This is a quote now, which is something they absolutely cannot afford. Reads the report, it appears there are real fears that Sony might have another concord on its hands. But we'll have to see if Sony stops or pushes Marathon back to try to prevent that from happening. Currently, Marathon is scheduled to release on the twenty third of September. Yeah, I mean jan going back to my own reporting about the situation over at Bungee and kind of like echoing that they cannot afford for Marathon to miss. When a lot of those layoffs happened and they shifted a destiny to from having these regular big content drops to more frequent, smaller drops that overall was going to provide less content, but they were going to try to, you know, make it more efficiently and package it in a way that it still felt like you were getting quite a bit. Because they want Destiny to to continue to succeed and grow, they need that. But what they really need is for Marathon to hit and in the end, actually, unfortunately because this sounds very difficult, jan what they really need is for both of those things to kind of perform at their top, like most possible performance level, so that Destiny too is hitting on all cylinders and it's making them a lot of money. And then Marathon comes out and is a huge hit at launch, and it just feels like everyone involved thinks like both those things are off the table or or will be very hard to achieve. And then what is the future of Bungee at that point? Well, I mean the way it was related to me is there isn't much of a future if these things do not take off. So that's of course it's got to be like really scary, and I I don't know, like Marathon does not seem like some disaster, but like we know that that's it doesn't have to be a disaster for people to decide I'm just not gonna play this thing.
Speaker 2: Right, one hundred percent grub. You know, we were just talking about unrealistic expectations, and I think the expectations between Marathon and expectations with Bungee are just so high at this point, and I I hate to be a doom sayer and just like watching the car crash happen, because I'd love for Marathon to succeed. You know, the art has really struck out to me. Unfortunately, some of that art may be plagiarized from other folks, which is a very big disappointment. Shocking to hear that this is the fourth time in like the last couple of years. You think at this point someone would be watching from the top and kind of you know, putting the hammer down on that. This just feels like a lose lose situation, and I really hate for Bungee to be in this spot, especially when like, you know, the Destiny two freaks are like you know there. It feels like they get hyped every time there's some type of news and then I just get sad because.
Speaker 1: There's still streaking out there. Yeah, but it's definitely muted, Like I think they're like not ready to like be shouting about Destiny too. Anymore, and it's like, Okay, if you're not willing to do that, then hows this thing? Like is anyone going to feel as excited about it? Probably not. I mean, jan I'm trying to like put my finger to the wind with Marathon, And it does feel a lot like Concord right now, doesn't it? Like, I mean, who knows if it actually goes the same exact way, but in this moment, it feels like the game like had the test of a public test that people could try the game, and then when that went away, people were just like, I don't even care about talking about it. It's not like I hate it. It's not that I love it.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I just don't.
Speaker 1: It's not even worth wasting my time on. It just feels like this vacuum of excitement for it. And that was that's very similar to I think what happened with Concord. Do you think they can change the narrative between now in September?
Speaker 2: I think it's possible to change the narrative between now and release, especially with you know, folks not studios, not having to worry about GTA six looming in the background for the rest of twenty twenty five at least I think at this point though, Bungeee and Sony are their own biggest eyes obstacles, especially with how Concord was handled. Yeah, and I don't know that there are other shooters that are kind of in the similar space having more positive hype.
Speaker 1: Art creators bring up Arc Raiders, right, and like yeah, and then so I made a joke. It's like, well, we got art Raiders over here and over at Bungeie there's some art Raiders.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bravo twelve podcast points to you geever, whoever came up with that. But you know, folks are pointing out something major in that, is it possible for Bungies leadership to be solid enough between now and September, especially when like internally the vibes at the studio are kind of butt right how to use.
Speaker 1: Like rescue it while also just trying to fix morale in the first Like you kind of need things to be feeling good for people to infuse that energy into the game. And you know, games do come together in the last minute a lot of times. So, but it doesn't seem like it's that. It doesn't seem like this is a game where people are waiting for it to come together in the last minute. People just seem like wholesale unimpressed by the entire idea of Marathon. And I don't know if that's fixable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that alpha or that test came and went grub I didn't hear a lot of hype or any buzz at all. The only thing I heard from it is that it feels like a weird or more robotic Apex Legends. And that's not a bad comparison to have, you know, for sure Apex Legends, that that that's a game that's always felt great has definitely lost its audience. But for the type of game that Bunge and Sony are trying to put out, I just don't know if I don't even know if there's an audience there to hook in.
Speaker 1: And we're like, Chane, we've had this long conversation about this, and have we mentioned the price, Like this is going to be a premium price game. It's going to be probably forty dollars. I think of whatever one's assuming the you know, or as we say on the streets, the concord price. Like ooh, there's just so many hills to climb before you can get to the point where like this is going to be probably still because they haven't gone back on this yet, a forty dollars game, and it's you know, it is an extraction shooter, and I've had fans of that genre tell me that that's genre tends to work much better if there is an upfront price. You kind of don't want the economy to be thrown off by people spending a lot of money because it's free to play game. Sure, okay, sure, but our creators is going to be free. It seems like so Yeahersons are just bad on every front.
Speaker 2: Comparisons are bad on every front. And you know, I feel like Sony has really put themselves into the spot with really trying to hammer live service games and canceling several other projects in favor of pursuing this strategy, and it just has not paid off in a substantial way. If anything, I think it's definitely hurt, you know, the image of Sony overall, because now people are drawing upon Concord as an example of a failed launch. People have completely forgotten about Redfall. Yeah, and now like in recent memory, it's going to be conquered, and I would hate for it to also be Marathon in the next couple months, Like even Square had like not a runaway hit, but a decent hit with Outriders, And yeah, I was able to players for sure, I was able to retain a lot of people. Folks are saying Arc Raiders is playing for forty dollars.
Speaker 1: It is okay, all right, there we go, all right them.
Speaker 2: But even if I'm presented those two options of Arc Raiders at forty Marathon at forty, and there's a lot more positive buzz between behind Arc Raiders, I think I would, of course my wagon to that horse.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, I just think one thing Marathon does seem to have in its favors. It will it's not going to be locked to the PlayStation. They are going to launch it everywhere and it's bungeee and it will have bungee quality shooting, and that goes a long way. Like the Pepsi test, a Pepsi challenge of like when you first start playing this game, is it going to feel good? I bet it passes that pretty well, and that could lend it to some good reviews and maybe that kind of like one thing leads into another there and it maybe begins to build momentum coming out of the gate. But in this moment then, like I believe morale is low at Bungie, because when I just glance over at this game, it hurts my morale as someone who was probably never going to play this thing in the first place, I'm like, god, man, that's a bummer. Game. Seemed like a challenging thing, ye to have to make and make your business, So yeah, just kind of sympathize with everyone over there. In a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: It just seems odd to try and pursue such a niche genre of games. Yeah, especially when you know audiences behind Battle Royales are not necessarily declining, but they're kind of like they've plified.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Yeah, they calcified into like there's certain games that they're playing for sure. You know, there's always trend chasing, and the reason is because it's like you think that if we make the more mainstream version of this trend, we could reap a lot of rewards. And I get that, But some trends are Battle Royale and some trends are auto chess, where it's like, yeah, everyone made an auto chess, but that really very quickly that got like calcified into everyone's just gonna play what is it? Yeah, team fight tactics over on riot stuff, and then everything else is gonna like and there was fifty of those things. Yeah, so you know, and that one. That's a genre that's a little bit easier to make something pretty quickly because you don't need a ton of assets or whatever. So when you're going to an extraction shooer, you have to build this whole world and you need all this art to the point where you're stealing it. It's a whole other challenge that that.
Speaker 2: Is also leaving a very poor taste in my mouth, because, like, I really enjoyed how Marathon has been presented every time we've seen it in a major showcase. Now knowing that some if not a bunch of the art may be plagiarized, it's kind of stinky.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, exactly. It's like the one thing I had to go in for it is now tainted. All right, let's take a quick break when we come back. Plenty of more news to talk about right after this. All right, we are back. We have plenty to talk about here on a Game mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grubb, that's Janet Shoa let's get into it with no, the next gen Xbox does not run on ARM. Here's what you need to know. That is a headline from Jess Cordon over at Windows Central. Really people were thinking that maybe, hey, there's evidence here that the next Xbox actually is switching to an ARM chip from Qualcom a Snapdragon. Jess Cordon kind of like provide some light on this situation to kind of clear things up. The next gen Xbox console offering is shrouded in mystery, but as we head closer to the inevitable, big revealed details are beginning to leak out. Recently, I exclusively shared that Xbox is working on Project Kennon in partnership with Asis, which is to serve as a test bet of sorts for its Xbox PC initiative. Microsoft wants the Xbox experience on Windows eleven to be as user friendly as possible to help support a range of devices that might be more accessible to users who aren't used to or simply don't want the complexity that that often comes with PC gaming. To that end, there has been some speculation about what the next gen Xbox hardware might look like. From his previous reporting, Jess corden says Xbox next gen hardware is targeting around twenty twenty seven, although it's still not clear if that's the launch or the reveal, although it's probably the launch from what I understand, there will be a true Xbox handheld made by Microsoft, complete with the docking station emulating the Nintendo switch. That seems like new information as well, where it's like they're maybe going the full switch route for a device eventually, while Kennon is this first tiptoe into the idea of let's have an interface that makes sense on a PC for people who just want a quote unquote Xbox anyway. Yesterday there was a potential new development shared by Throat dot com, which, with hints from Qualcomm's website, a job listing on the snap Dragon chip maker seems to on their website seems to suggest the firm is working on next gen Xbox hardware with snap Dragon solutions. Throat speculated that this could indicate that the next gen Xbox hardware might have a snap Dragon chip snap Dragon chipset, which would be a pretty big step for Microsoft gaming platform. Some of the job description details read as follows support and selling activities for next generation of service in Xbox products built on snap Dragon solutions. That's the part that really got people wondering, Oh, is this going to be in an Xbox over at for just coordinates is Our source is confirmed to me this morning that the next Xbox systems, however, are not based on Qualcom chips. There might be some third party designed for Xbox Armed offerings like the Logitech g Cloud, but the main planned from Microsoft, at least for now, is for the next gen Xbox systems to have as much compatibility with the with the current library as possible. The overheads required to emulate games built for Microsoft's AMD based systems are beyond what a snap Dragon lineup is currently capable of, and that was like my first reaction here is I could see them going with an ARM based chip chip like, because that's definitely the way the winds are blowing. But it's not. It wouldn't be a Snapdragon Snapdragon. While you know they're very powerful, sure they're not there yet. This would have to be something really beefy and really customized, and it just seems unlikely Microsoft maybe designing their own ship in partnership with ARM the way Apple does. That's something I thought maybe could happen, but it's definitely if they are prioritizing compatibility jan they are not going to go in the route of ARM. Yet it does still seem like something that is on the timeline here. Eventually they are going to go in that direction, but by twenty twenty seven that's probably too aggressive to go with an ARM based solution. And that's probably the right answer, right if you're still you know, Xbox, and while everything is an Xbox, the one thing you probably still can't do is make a new Xbox system that doesn't have full compatibility with people's libraries that they've spent years building up.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, a lot of this goes over my head, Grub, I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Right now you need to know is it's going to be an Xbox the way an Xbox Series X is it has a computer chip in there instead of a phone chip. That's you know, that's the big difference between ARM and X eighty six Oki Doki.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Microsoft is in a very interesting space, and I think I think the thing that they've been wanting to push is that everything is an Xbox because they want you to play their games, and I don't know. I guess as of right now, Microsoft seems like in more okay space than PlayStation is at least, and I don't like long term for long term right because they are acknowledge acknowledging the extensive library that people have, like you mentioned, and they want people to play those games versus sometimes Sony can be a little bit kg and weird about recognizing every era prior to this one.
Speaker 1: Yep. It's like the benefits here of Sticky with X eighty six right now is that you know you are You've turned into a company that makes video games. Maybe you were once a company that made you consoles and had an ecosystem, but right now your business really is does seem to be a company that makes video games, And so you can't abandon Xbox being what it is for that smaller audience of people that are going to continue to buy Xboxes, which is not going to be massive. It doesn't seem like, but those are your most dedicated players, Like they're not the ones you test this on. Maybe you do have some other devices, the handhelds, I could see this happening, but they are going to need a concerted effort of backward compatibility, and like a translation layer similar to what happens on steam Deck, but for X eighty six games going over to ARM, which is not something that even steam Deck is doing. It's taking things from Windows to Linux. That's a little bit easier, even though that was a challenge for a while. So prioritizing compatibility makes sense in the meantime, you know they're handheld is probably also That means it's probably at least the first one's probably going to have to be X eighty six, although I wonder if there's a point here where they again working with third parties and partners to say, maybe one of these things could be the ARM based version that's supposed to have much better battery and doesn't have a fan and it doesn't run every game, but we're going to like work on support over time. They have Windows for ARM already. It's just you know, the translation there, the the you know, the getting everything to work has not been great. It's getting better, but yeah, I think I think this is probably a point where they like just stick to the core chips for their primary consoles, maybe the handheld, and then in the future maybe they have a slow transition over to this other hardware. I could see that could going that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they wanted to experiment and do that handheld. For as much as people are saying that it may be too little, too late, I this website loves handheld scrub.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Yeah, I think that there's gonna be because the Steam's only sold, like Steam Deck's only sold like six million or in that range, maybe only like four or five million of the six million handhelds that have been sold since the Steam Deck came out. I think that's how it is. That space is just going to keep growing every year. More and more people are gonna come to PC handhelds and really just handhelds in general, and Xbox will probably have something. PlayStation's clearly clearly going to have something as well. Before we move on from this, does that idea of an Xbox handheld with a dock that works a lot like a switch sound enticing to you?
Speaker 2: I guess so. I'm I'm one of those people though grub that has never really put their switch into the dock. I prime play it handheld. The only time I throw it in the doc is like when we need to capture switch footage. Yeah, and that's about it. Otherwise, Like I'm just primarily playing that handheld. I do understand the utility though, if for Xbox wanting to kind of take over the whole living room experience, right of, Like, all right, you can take it off, basically promising the same promises of the switch.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, I got to say. I do not understand people. There's someone a chat here saying they only play DOCT. Sorry, I just don't understand your life. I can't. I know Vinnie Caravella has only ever played the switch doc. He says, I'm like, what is what is happening in your world? That that's possible, but hey, good for you, even if it's not my life. Teach their own, all right. Nintendo confirms switch To will include much requested accessibility feature. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. The Nintendo switch To will support text the speech. This feature, which has been shown off in a new gameplay clip of the Nintendo switch to S game chat feature, shows players typing messages into the system, which are then read by the system itself the game. The system also has live captioning, so when people are talking, it can put a like block over on the right side of the screen that will say what people are saying in text so you can sort of read the captions. It's like, okay, you know, Nintendo is forcing us into game chat a little bit. We kind of were asking them to do something along these lines, but at this point, everyone else has Discord support, so it's like, of course Nintendo's not gonna have that. They're gonna have their own thing. But at least it seems fully featured in a lot of ways. In some ways, I'm like surprised that it has live captioning. I guess is what I'll say, Jan, what do you think.
Speaker 2: I think that is going to wear out that battery really quick.
Speaker 1: I think game chat in general is like, yeah, it just seems like such a what's the word like in your face? An over the top solution for a handheld where it's like, do we really need to make everything about the video chat and all these other like bells and whistles that are happening with communication. I just need to talk to my team when I'm playing a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Honestly, there there are moments where, you know how some games will have like the Discord overlay and I'll you know, flash, who's talking yeah Discord that Uh. Sometimes I find that to be too intrusive. Yeah, and now having to see everyone's faces pop up and grub. I'm not gonna lie. I'm gonna be very self conscious playing my switch to and playing through game chat because like it is the most unflattering angle that I Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: There, let me put your right in my double chin. Yeah, go ahead and take a look at that thing. Yeah, you're right. I don't know. I'm I'm glad to have it because my kids are totally going to use this when they're playing with their cousins. It's way more handy than what we do, which is a you know, a phone in one hand and a switch in the other, and sure, whatever that works. But this is this will be cool for that. I'm guessing that my hope is just that game chat does not like cause any headaches when we're not using it or when we need it. It is like there is the most minimal version of it that we can engage, and I guess I'm sure that that's possible. Though it's Nintendo. So now that I've said the sentence, I'm sure, I'm no longer sure because it's Nintendo.
Speaker 2: I know that like us us here and like a good chunk of the community or kind of like poop pooing on game chat. A lot of folks have been of like, you know, we have discord blah blah blah. But I do think the utility of kids getting together is going to be something that we're all overlooking. And oh yeah, you know, creating that ease of access of kids being able to like pop open game chat just press of a button and chat with friends, I think that is something we may be overlooking. I think Fortnite is coming to the Switch too, yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I mean it'll be backward compatible, but I think they're already playing, you know, switch to version very early.
Speaker 2: This is going to be huge for the kids. Uh just you know, firing open uh uh a Fortnight on the go.
Speaker 1: I mean Minecraft. I think Minecraft is like one of the one of the bigger platforms. Minecraft I think is the switch Yeah uh and I you know, I just subscribe to realms for my kids. So it's like we're going to be We're going to be spending a lot of time in this thing.
Speaker 2: And you know, like the gimmicks, they love playing Goat Simulator. Perhaps they want to play Goat Simulator with some friends and just like.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the whole time. Yeah, yeah, So I mean the whole the whole idea, the whole way that kids play games is just like they just want to mess around, and then they want to mess around while their friends get to see them doing stupid stuff in the game, and then they just laugh and laugh, laugh their heads off. So I think, yeah, I think game trait is actually going to be That's I think that's the reason that Tendo's making such a big deal about it because they know that the you know, younger audience is absolutely going to go crazy for because it really is going to work, and the fact that it's sort of built in is going to feel pretty special compared to the way like you know, Discord works on the console, where I think you still have to like bring your phone in there to activate some stuff and it's just a little cumbersome. Here, it'll be easy and for families, so it'll get the benefit of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think the reason why some of us may be pooh poohing on it is because the way that Nintendo has presented it and using like a bunch of pretty adults in their twenties and thirties just like, oh wow, would you do when in reality it's will be a bunch of kids just goofing off and playing around. And I feel like that utility ultimately is going to be better served with younger audiences.
Speaker 1: Younger audiences and Paul Rudd' that's the that's.
Speaker 2: The audience, of course, the Eternal Vampire Paul Rudd.
Speaker 1: Nintendo explains why Mario Kart World is the perfect launch title. This is from my Nintendo News and Versus published an interview with Nintendo's Senior vice president of Product Development, Nate Bildorff, and asked him why the company opted to launch the system with the surefire hit Mario Kart World. Nate explained that Mario Kart is one of the most broadly accessible games, therefore making it the perfect game to launch a brand new system. With the fact that Mario Kart Mario Kardie Delex Stormain's the best selling Nintendo Switch game of all time by a fair margin, probably went some way and influencing the decision to jan sure, Yeah, okay, yeah, all that, that's fine. My question to you is Mario Kart World for that first month is that enough? Is it enough to justify the switch too?
Speaker 2: I mean, for me, personally, No, just because I like playing Mario Kart enough. I just don't think it's gonna capture my whole time with a switch too. And that's why I chose not to join in on the pre order the madness but palooza and madness, h huh. But for a lot of people it will be and you know, the I don't want to say copium, but for the folks that picked up the switch to and like they're looking for something to if that's their only option, they're going to play the crap out of Mario Kart World Tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, I am excited about World. I am ready. I think I Am going to have a very good time with it. But part of that is definitely like what I'm like talking myself into it. A little bit. I believe what I'm what I'm talking myself into, but it is a little bit of like, that's what I have there as an option, and I just want to switch to and I want to be excited for it. So that gets a big part of it for me. But for that general audience, for the normies out there, this is going to be more than enough. And then that first month is going to fly By Donkey Kong will be here before we even know it. And at that point, for me, it's like, well, now there's no question Donkey Kong and Mario Kart this of course, of course I'm going to need to have this system, you know, I think most normal people beyond that, it's gonna be like wow, maybe when it has like five games that I really really want, that's when I'll jump on board. And I totally get that, and I think it's it won't take that long for the system to get there. Yeah, but Mario, like, if you could only have one game to launch the system with, it is Mario Kart, right. There is no other replacement.
Speaker 2: For that, and especially with how there seems to be a lot of hidden secrets and different things to do in Mario Kart World that Nintendo's yet to reveal. They primarily only talked about like racing and costumes and just how like the flow of racing works. They haven't really delved into how open that world may be, and I'm curious to see what people will will discover with that. And also Grub, I think the thing that Nintendo needs to hammer home as a sticking point is the upgraded versions of some of these Switch one games, right, you can, yeah, for folks that may be skipped out on Breath of the Wild or Tiers of the Kingdom because they were kind of worried about how it performed on the Switch one. Here you go, here are two gigantic games to lose hours in.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, Like, I bet that it is one of the things Nintendo's looking at right because Breath of the Wild it's like near forty million copies sold or something like that. It's thirty five to forty million, and Tiers of the Kingdom went to twenty million pretty much instantly, but it has like sold relatively slowly since then. Basically it's selling at about the same rate as Breath of the Wild is now as well. They're both selling about the same amount per month, so it's just not going to catch up to that. I wonder if like that fifteen million to the fifteen to twenty million that bought Breath of the Wild that didn't buy Tiers of the Kingdom were like either saying to themselves, I'm sure many of them just dropped off and are like, I play Breath the Wild, I don't need to know there. Zelda game. But I wonder if there's a huge portion of that audience. It's like, oh, I was kind of thinking to get the next Zelda on the Switch too, which I know is coming pretty soon, so I'm gonna wait. I wonder if there's a lot of people who just decided to wait until they had to switch to to play this thing on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that is realistic expectation, grub. I think, you know, we saw folks feeling similarly with the Final Fantasy seven remakes, and I don't think it's out of the realm possibility to think the same thing or a similar thing about Tears of the Kingdom. And you know, maybe if folks were kind of not pleased with how Breath of the Wild ran in certain aspects of the game. And we had had rumors about the switch to for years now, so I understand that hesitation to explore Tears of the Kingdom in favor of waiting for whatever an upgrade would be.
Speaker 1: Yep, before we move on from Nintendo stuff. So someone asking about variable refresh rate. We talked about that last week. I think since then, Nintendo actually came out and apologized for saying that it would work in doc mode. A doc mode. It works in handheld mode. The handheld screen has VRR, but it seems like there's some issue with the DOC ands one of the components that it uses that seems to be causing a problem with VRR working in doc mode. Nintendo was asked if it would happening at some point in the future, and they did not provide like any sort of answer to that. They're just like, we can't say anything in this moment. They didn't say no, they didn't say yes. And I wonder if it'll be possible if it is some issue with the hardware, maybe that's something they put into a revision at some point. I could probably see them doing that all right. Injustice three could be in development, according to a multi Versus Data Minor. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. The development of a third game in the Injustice series is being teased by a multi Versus Data Minor. An account that had a history of posting information about MultiVersus content before it was officially revealed, has teased that a new game in the Injustice franchise is in development. Multi Versus Injustice both games from Warner Brothers. Let's see here, Multiverses shutting down is an injustice, then doing it all again is another injustice. Reads the post on Twitter from Multiverse Susie, Multiverse Susie, and then they finished up with leaving me without any Leaks is yet again another injustice. And then they replied to that tweet with the number three, So trying to be pretty overt there. Do you think the implication here is that the multi versus team, which is, are they still even a team? I can't. I'm trying to remember. Did they shut down, like maybe they might be helping out with Injustice three here or something like that, because now the round probably is ready to move on to something else after that last Mortal Kombat game. Seems like they will wound that down, and that means to me the next logical thing is now, it's let's bounce back to two Injustice after doing two Mortal Kombat games in a row, so they are probably working on it. Do you think that there's something some multi versus action happening here where that team is helping out.
Speaker 2: Folks are saying that that studio may may have closed down, so.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I think I remember that now, Yeah, I think that's that sounds right.
Speaker 2: I would hope that there are a good chunk of that talent maybe have been moved over to another realm or in some other support capacity, just so those folks are staying employed. Yeah, maybe that's what happened to Yeah, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I mean, you know, some of the Multiverse team. Only that crew knows how Lebron James moves in a video game world, you know that's right.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, in mysterious ways.
Speaker 2: In very mysterious ways. The chalk throwing, it's not it is. It is a blessing. Uh, and I could see that being a fatality of sorts. It's a it's a no brainer for Injustice uh to be on on the way. Another realm has kind of been in the moral combat minds for what seems like forever now, and especially with this big push that DC is making for any and everything DC.
Speaker 1: It sounds like that Super My movies prime to do very well. Uh, so like there could be a lot of momentum, but in Justice three is probably years away still. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like if things go accordingly with with how DC wants their DC universe or their movies to perform. An Injustice game would tie into that fantastically. I am very hesitant about DC movies, and that's not just because I am more of a Marvel person. I do love me some Batman. It just feels like, of course, the overall situation at WB is kind of a mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more precarious.
Speaker 2: I don't know what app to watch for HBO anymore, grub.
Speaker 1: Don't even worry about it. If you just stand still long enough, it'll be back to being being just called HBO again and that's it. Okay, Yeah, okay, just give it a couple more years, and Justice three is something I'm sure was always going to happen eventually. It seems like it probably is happening right now. When we get it, probably probably two to three years off still, yeah, yeah, probably closer to three actually.
Speaker 2: I mean Nether Realm has a fantastic engine that they're working with, and like the last moral of Combat was great. I would love to see how that gets adapted for Injustice and whether or not. I mean this, this current regime of DC grub is interesting because it feels like if you went to James Gun and was like, yo, can Superman do fatalities and he'll be like, fuck, yeah, dog, let's go.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, I think you're right. Bringing a little James Gunn just seasoning onto some of these video games I think could go a long way. I'm still a big fan of that guy. All right, last headline I have here, Yeah, let's go with this one. Square Enix wanted to shut down Final Fantasy eleven last year, but fan interest was too high. This is from Ben Lyons, a game reactor. Basically, like, that's an MMO that's been running since two thousand and two. That's crazy in some regions, that's how long it's been running, though. They they're constantly looking at and assessing it here. But they went on to say that when they did even consider it, they were looking around and in some ways there are more people playing now than have been in quite some time. Like it kind of is growing in popularity again. And that's just what happens with some of these MMOs, right, They just entered this period of eternal stasis, and that seems to be where Final Fantasy eleven is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I h a friend of the site, John Carson. I saw him skating the other day about getting back at the World of Warcraft and like Dog, that's crazy, but hell yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that's I mean World of Warcraft and that one's like it's crazy, but that's like way more normal than some of these other ones where it's like, people, I'm gonna go back to to uh, I can't remember ever EverQuest, EverQuest. Yes, thank you, I'm gonna go back to EverQuest. I'm all right, yeah, you do you man, I can't stop you. No.
Speaker 2: It just seems like weird for Square to kind of be wanting to get rid of an existing audience that is very loyal to them.
Speaker 1: Yep. But I think once they like realized that part of it, they're like, you know what, it's completely worth the money we're spending because we're actually still probably making money on this thing.
Speaker 2: And I think they have a this is a good problem that a lot of studios wish they had, where a game since two thousand and two is still passively making them money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like I was interested in checking out Final Fantasy eleven maybe a year or two ago instead of Final Fantasy fourteen just to piss off the internet.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and then everyone's like, don't do that, You're crazy, And that makes me want to do it more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and grew up like the MMO world. I know, it is a very different space than how it was a couple of years ago. There's still people playing RuneScape, They're still right, yes, yeah, there's still people in the like waves. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like new waves of people like playing those all the time. They're like trying, like, hey, I want to go back to that, and those games are waiting for them and like have sort of made themselves the best possible situations, replace themselves in the best possible situation to bring back people who want to come back. They're like, here's ring Escape classic in plays just like you remember. So yeah, uh okay, before we get into the poll question I did, there was a story I was gonna do kind of just skip it. Let's just do the small details becase I'm gonna do the poll question based on it. Some eighty dollars games are a steal, according to a former PlayStation executive. Mostly I just wanted to ask, hey, is this anyone like, does anyone paid eighty dollars for a game? It felt good about it, I guess really there haven't has there even been a single eighty dollars game yet, excuse me, other than Mario Kart, probably not for most things, but I think man losing my voice, I think for the most part, like I see where he's where he's coming at with this. This is shoe Hey Yoshida, who was formerly a PlayStation for a very long time. Where it's like when we like just compare things side by side, eighty dollars for a game, or you know, one hundred dollars to take the family to a movie for a couple hours, I get like the reasoning that these executives come up with. I think we're at a point where people are just done with comparisons, and and really the only comparison that they care about it is like you're asking for eighty for a new far Cry game that feels exactly like, if not worse than the other far Cry game that I actually ended up paying thirty dollars for because I got it on sale. And so when people get these games that are sort of run through the mill of like we're just gonna put it in the factory, here's the formula we're gonna make it, eighty dollars makes those games seem even more starkly like, oh I can notice all the problems and all the things I hate about them. I think it brings that stuff out more. So, it's like a dangerous thing that these companies are playing with. Even if a lot of people don't spend the eighty dollars on it, they know the companies asking for eighty dollars, and they just get in their heads like this thing is not worth that price. It makes them more susceptible to criticism.
Speaker 2: I think, what do you think, Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't bring up this comparison game because you're you're just putting the rake right in front of you and stepping on it, yeah, and then jumping on it where folks are already you know, pinching pennies wherever they can. But then the other part of that is like time rub you know, like I've spent this much time earning eighty dollars. Will this eighty dollars like benefit me in the long run if I spend on a game, or I buy food, or or perhaps like you said, like visit the movies, where you know, movies are ultimately a more passive experience where you can just like and more general experience where you could just chat with friends or whatever, listen to podcasts, and I think with especially with the world where we're kind of in now with content creators and streamers, there are folks that will choose to not play a game or not pay eighty dollars and in favor of watching someone else play it instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's like a big part of this is just these companies have used every other method to squeeze as much money from us as possible. So we've had years of early early part of us like online passes and ten dollars, like you know, passes of like stuff you can only get if you buy the game new, so if you buy it used, you got to give us another ten dollars so you can un lock all this stuff. And then micro transactions in every game and those taking the forms of you know, unlocks card packs that might have stuff in there, you know that you can only get randomly, and that stuff being used to take advantage of us and get as much money out out of us as possible. Now battle passes, so we spend as much time in these games as possible, which increases the amount of money people tend us to spend. All of these like knobs that they turn on our brains to get us to spend as much money on their games as possible, and then on top of that, the games are getting more expensive, so it's just an assault from all sides to the point where you cannot put the eighty dollars in a vacuum and then just compare it to going to the movies or anything else. It's like, no, we know what you're really doing here. And so I think people are just kind of at their limit with that stuff.
Speaker 2: And with how easy it is, with you know, these handheld PCs being more and more of a thing, with general audiences, gaming laptops being more of a thing, games being put out everywhere. When I hear eighty dollars for one game, I can't help but do the mental math of like, well, I couldn't I could spend that time playing Fortnite or Minecraft for free, or I could pick up like two to three amazing indie games that will occupy the same amount of time that that one eighty dollars game would, because like I'm thinking of Blueprints at thirty dollars or however it is, I'm like, that is a game you could get lost in for a good chunk of time, and I have and I did, and I think about something like skin Deep, which is a completely new experience for someone like me playing an im sim and I'm like fascinated by all the moving parts in there versus whatever eighty dollars game, which feels like a triple A blockbuster that it can kind of just be intimidating and exhausting to engage with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right, like all that like is already working against some of these bigger games. Eighty dollars price just really emphasizes all of those things in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as guy and YouTube Chad is like Expedition thirty three for fifty dollars does feel like robbery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like absolutely.
Speaker 2: Expedition thirty three is still on the top of my list for game of the year so far, and for that to be fifty bucks, like that is a steal for what you're getting with that, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's a lot of sensitivity around like what like talking about what that game means for other games. I get that, but it also feels clearly like something we just can't ignore. It really does indicate some other stuff happening in video games all right, pull question. Let's get to that. This is from Friday. Are you interested in playing big third party ports on switch to, like say Cyberpunk? Twenty nine percent of people said yes they are. Fifty four percent of people said no they aren't, so almost, you know, doubleding a number of people said no versus yes, and then seventeen percent said I'm not interested in the switch to it all, So just discount them. You know, most people buying a switch are going to buy it for Nintendo games, right, And then I think there is going like, I think twenty nine percent of you know, or you know, let's say that's fifty percent or I'm sorry, thirty three point three percent of the people who are saying yes or no, and you discounting the people aren't going to get a switch to. That's like a number I think third party developers can work with. Oh, but I think it's a It's also not something where it's like, oh, expect every EA game to come to the switch to. That's that's probably still not on the table. But I think the ones that hit will hit hard and will find this audience of people who like like playing games on their switch. Now the switch to I.
Speaker 2: Think if I wasn't in this field, Grub, I think the switch To would be like the perfect console to pick up if I've kind of been ignoring this current gen because those third party games that are eventually going to get poured it over, I can finally check them out. Like I could play a Cyberpunk, I could play any of the like a Dragon series coming out, the Yaquiza series as well well. And on top of that, you have all the first party titles. Heck, if you've been curious about like the final Fantasy seven remake games, they're slowly going to come out to the switch To.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Final Fantasy seven Integrade will be on the switch To by the end of the year. So yeah, all right, a new polk question here in a second, before we get to that, Jan, why don't we tell people we have happening on Giant Bomb for the rest of the week.
Speaker 2: It looks like a pretty standard week game this mornings from Wednesday to Friday, the Giant BombCast popping off tomorrow. We'll have a dump truck with a very special guest. Someone's birthdays coming up, so we're gonna go ahead and celebrate that upf as well. We got some plans to do some quick looks in the can. Dan is very interested in skin Deep. I kind of wanna do a quick look for Dropducci Ducky, whatever the heck the game is called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both, Yeah, and we're slowly like picking up pace on stuff that we're working on. We're gonna introduce some fun new stuff here pretty soon, but we are still taking care of a lot of stuff in the background, just getting everything's set up and planning for Summer Game Fest. So yeah, don't expect too much right away. But you know, I think, you know, there was definitely talks of maybe doing a demo derby this week. We'll see if we can make time for that, So look out for something like that. And then in the meantime, I think, you know, stuff like Monday Mornings missed with Mitch. That's something like once we get back from Summer Game Fest, we'll kick that stuff off in earnest here really really soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once the new Pokemon game comes out later this year, or like that specific VGC Pokemon game comes out that they announced in that direct hover long ago that was I do intend to dust off the Pokemon Monday Night Combat Jim. Yeah, and you know, my favorite part about that show is that I rarely stream that on a Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the best part. That's what everyone wants, all right, new pole question, do you think a game can be worth eighty dollars? Yes or no? We'll get the results of that. We'll talk about it here on giant Bomb on Wednesday, because tomorrow, as Jan said, we'll have the bomb Cast. All right, let's see here. Anything else we got to clear up or clean up? I think once again giant bomb dot com slash join. If you have an issues to the pay PayPal thing, just send a support email I think it's support at giant bomb dot com and we'll get that handled for you in the meantime. Other than that, Jana Choha, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's the best way to start a Monday grub. And also thank you everyone for your kind support at home. We put together a playlist on the giant Bomb YouTube channel. If you are new to the website or you're coming back for the first time in a while, I suggest you go check that out. Boy Smail, dumb Truck and Blake club are fantastic ways to kind of read the room and get the vibe of the buffoonery and do fissery fit surri that we got going on here. Also, hey, story Dog Giant Baum as well. We have plans to put out a bunch of stuff. You all want crop tops, just holler, We'll sell.
Speaker 1: Crop We can make that happen. It's summertime. Let's uh yeah, let's get let's get crazy out there. Yeah all right, we're going to add more stuff to the store here pretty soon. It's everything is in the works and I'm I'm very excited about it, all right. So with that in mind, let's go get to work. Everybody. Thank you for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming for real. I have the proof. Now, until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye. You know, don't be bit