Speaker 1: Sunny and ninety for the high today, Can I clear in seventy another sunny day Tomorrow eighty six for the high clears guys over nineteen to sixty and sunny and seventy eight for the high Saturday. Right now seventy one degrees Time for a traffic.
Speaker 2: Updates from the UCL Traffic Center. Nearly sixty percent of Americans waiting on an organ transplanter from multicultural communities give the gift of vine. Sign up today to be an organ donor. Southbound seventy five continues slow out of Evan Dale through Wachman. Northbound seventy five to lay times just dropped under the ten minute mark. In bound seventy four. There's a new accident Harrison right Bolt has some right plane block and there's some wreck on Ridge and Woodford chuck Ingramont fifty five krs A.
Speaker 1: Talk station, AY thirty fifty five KRCD talk station. Friday Eve one of my favorite times of the week because we could talk to IHART Media aviation expert Jay Ratliffe live from the Southern Command, which means he is in Savannah and therefore probably experienced some of the hurricane that went through welcome, Jay ratl If. It's always a great thing to have you on my program Sir.
Speaker 3: It's good to be here.
Speaker 4: And yes, we're seeing sunrise, which I think first time since Saturday we've actually seen a sunrise here in Savannah. So they call this place the low country, and believe me, it is when you get the way of sixteen to twenty inches of rain. Yeah, a storm came over us and just stayed.
Speaker 3: It was like the house guests that refused to leave.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you suffer any damage?
Speaker 3: We had some, Yeah, but it's minimal.
Speaker 4: And Brian, when I was battling the water like in my office, which was really annoying, I kept thinking, good lord, you know people lost their lives in the stormy Sir. You know, I'm just I always try to keep things in proper perspective and pray for the families that were impacted. And if I got to deal with a little bit of water, so be it.
Speaker 1: That's why I love you, man. You're always looking at for the life. From that perspective, it could be a hell of a lot worse. I can mop the floor up and I'll move on with my life. I wanted to pivot over to this not on your list, And I know you don't mind taking a fielding questions and talking about topics that you don't have on your list. This I feel terribly, terribly sorry for those astronauts who flew to the International Space Station on the inaugural fight of the what is it star liner Boeing Starliner.
Speaker 4: The Boeing Starliners, cause you got that Boeing went out there.
Speaker 1: So they make it to the International Space Station and then the craft is declared what, it's not seaworthy, it's not the right, it's not spaceworthy or something. In other words, they might die coming back on it. So there's a problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the thrusters aren't working exactly as they need them to, and they've got some leaks they're dealing with. And I mean, you know me in space, if somebody said Jay, I didn't want you into space at three point fifteen today, I'm there.
Speaker 3: But you put Boeing on.
Speaker 4: The side of the aircraft spacecraft.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just tempting fate.
Speaker 4: But you know, when they got up there, I think all of us just kind.
Speaker 3: Of had this collective sigh of relief.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, thank god, they made it, not even thinking they couldn't get back. But they conducted several tests the thrusters and I think there's like thirty six different combinations and Bryant, it's not yet been flawless. They've had issues each and every time, and since the space program thankfully is on a you know, we have to make sure everything is working, plus all the backups. It's something that they simply are just saying, look, and to everyone's credit, the easiest thing to do, would we try to push it, get them home safe, let's move on. But what they're making sure of is that it's safe, because they're like, we're not going to do this if there's an element of danger, and even if it makes us look worse, and I guess that's possible, we're going to continue trying to see what.
Speaker 3: We can do.
Speaker 4: And you know, this spacecraft has a shelf life, if you will, as far as the amount of time it can remain at space at one time.
Speaker 3: It's ad or exceeded that. So that's the other.
Speaker 4: Issue they've got because they've got components on there that need to be checked, rechecked, replace, what have you. It's just like the cycle life on an aircraft. Every part on an airplane is inspected and or replaced every so off. Normally it's hours that the aircraft's been in operation. That's why if I get on an airplane that's thirty nine years old, I don't worry because it's not a thirty nine year old aircraft that's been rebuilt constantly, year after year after year, and it's still an airworthy aircraft. This Boeing situation in space, you got to feel for them because they're still there. You know, I always kidding people, you know, the self alert's got that thing that helped me. I can't get up, what about press help? I can't get down because these guys are up there, and look if they love space, they're enjoying it.
Speaker 3: But eventually you got to come home.
Speaker 1: Well, and eventually you might have to turn to another manufacturer, and that would be Elon Musk's company.
Speaker 4: Somebody's going to have to do it. And then the Boeing star Liner program, which was over budget and way way way way way way delayed, will probably just sail off into the sunset, never to be seen again. And who could blame them giving everything that's been taking place right now?
Speaker 1: Well, I saw an interesting statement from Boeing that came out yesterday. You know, they say they still believe in the Boeing star Liner quote, if NASA decides to change the mission, we will take the actions necessary to configure star Liner for an uncrude return. So the copsule stuck to the space station right now, they're busy testing in So they're going to send it back with nobody in it leading the astronauts in space.
Speaker 3: Well, the thought is, if.
Speaker 4: You can't make sure that it's going to operate exactly as it needs to, that's the only way they're going to bring it home. Because if all the tests that they've done, and they've done many aren't one hundred percent of their satisfaction. You know, there's a certain degree of safety that you can use if it's man and unmanned, right, and obviously you've got a lot more latitude, a lot more room for air if it's if it's an unmanned return, and I suspect that's exactly what's going to take place, because then if you have some of the systems leaking or not totally working as it needs to, you don't have to worry about the lives of the astronauts that are on board the aircraft during the return to Earth, So I think it's going to be somebody else bringing them home. And it's just, you know, Bo's got so many issues this this hearing that we had in Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're trying to get answers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to get into that in a minute, because we're almost out a time. And I know that's on your topics, but I guess if they sent it home unmanned and it disintegrates on return, you know, a re entry, it doesn't let me, maybe goes off into space and lands on the Sun or something like that. Bowe's never going to be able to get around the optics of that, at least if it comes back safety. They said, well we got it back, it would have been okay if the astronauts were on it apparently was fixable enough. I just don't see how this is a win at all for Boeing.
Speaker 3: Well, they're pressed.
Speaker 4: People are going to try to spin it the best way they can, and I know that It's like when I see a drugstock that's down eighty percent on positive drug news.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, you can give it whatever.
Speaker 4: Headline you want, doesn't mean that it's necessarily inaccurate statement.
Speaker 1: We'll bring Jay back. We'll talk about Germany's busiest airport brought to a standstill over a tiny little something or other, and then we'll talk about that hearing on the Boeing door plug factory workers testifying about pressure work too fast. More with iHeart Media aviation expert Jay Ratlift. After I mentioned the outstanding experts at Chimneycare, Fireplace and Stove and reminding you that this is the perfect time to take care of your safety before you want to take care of your comfort as the fall cold weather kicks in, have the chimney inspected. They certified chimney sweeps. A Chimneycare, Fireplace and Stove can do a great job sweeping up that chimney so it's safe to oper You don't worry about a chimney fire. Yeah, you're using a wood burner or something like that, you're gonna get a creosoap build up that's flammable, crack your chimney lining. They also replace chimney lining, so if their inspection reveals that you're in great hands with that, maybe the chimney inspection will reveal water damage which you don't even know about. They do waterproofing and chimney leak repairs as well as cap and damper replacement, and then comes the inserts. If you don't have a fireplace insert, why not get one now? Beautiful upgrades and improvements. Those inserts get more the heat out of your fire box into the room, so it improves the efficiency but also improves the beauty. They have a huge selection of those at the showroom. Look at Ato four to thirteen Wards Corner Road. Whether you have a gas one, a wood burner, or swap out what you got with the self feeding wood waste pellet insert huge amounts of heat and energy savings from that to chimney Care Fireplace and Stove. They're a plus with a better business bureau and they will clean out your dryer events, So either schedule appointment for that just by itself, or have them do it when they're checking your chimney out. You'll save money on your drying time and avoid a fire hazard. Safety is what it's all about this time of year. Chimneycareco dot com to learn more five one three two four eight ninety six hundred five one three two four eight ninety six hundred.
Speaker 3: Fifty five krc man.
Speaker 1: If you're seer for prety Wanet thinking about KRCD talk station. He's nationwide iHeartMedia, all the iHeartMedia stations. He's on seven hundred and fifty of them throughout the week. He doesn't have time to do anything. Seriously, Ja, you are a busy man in between.
Speaker 4: Me told Fox and Friends no, just to be with you. So that shows you how much this segment means to me.
Speaker 1: I love you so much, Jay, I appreciate our conversations and it is just a wonderful thing to move into a Friday on somewhat lighter conversations. All though, moving over to Boeing and the door plug problem, apparently Boeing factory workers testified that they've been under a really lot of pressure to work quicker, and of course fast means lower quality products that come off the line, including doors that fly off midflight.
Speaker 4: You and I talked seven months ago when that last airline's door plug blew out of that seven thirty seven in flight, and it was at that moment Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration began there. I want to say investigation. I'll have to put it in quotes to find out. Okay, where in the process was this door installed, Who did it? How did we miss not putting in the bolts that would like secure it to the aircraft. So they have this congressional inquiry that's going on, and you've got Boeing officials and the FA officials that are reporting that guess what. They still have no idea where the mistake took place. They don't know who was responsible, they don't know when it happened. They can't answer a thing. And again Boeing has been less than forthcoming, and you had congressional members that were losing their minds here. They're like, Waite, We've had seven months and we don't know anything. So the question is being asked, and they were excellent questions, was look, if you can't tell me when it happened, where it happened, you're telling me it could happen again at any time on any aircraft, right yeah, oh, And it was like a well, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: So the thought is what are we doing.
Speaker 4: I mean, if we can't determine seven months after another, this is something that should be so out of the norm that it's real easy for us to determine because everything is so carefully choreographed during the assembly process, on any aircraft that we would know who was on duty which aircraft, you know, who was on duty when this particular part was being put together malfunction.
Speaker 3: I mean it is.
Speaker 4: It's not like you know, an assembly line where.
Speaker 3: You're just a bunch of people slept.
Speaker 4: Everything is so tightly controlled and documented, right, there's no way you could not know.
Speaker 1: I know, I was thinking, don't these airplanes have like a ven number? I mean, you just don't have a Boeing multi million aircraft getting assembled with each person responsible for some component of that aircraft on a rather long assembly time. How in the hell could they not know that?
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, you have to because every single part on every single aircraft has a number, and that number is either inspected or replaced every so many cycle hours or duration of time that it's on the aircraft.
Speaker 3: It's always so documented.
Speaker 4: Because that's what makes commercial aviation safe. We know this particular part of an aircraft tends to start to wear, show signs of wear at this point, that's when it's inspected and at this point it's replaced. That's all we do. And the idea that you can show up seven months after a near catastrophic event, thank God, no one.
Speaker 3: Lost their life.
Speaker 4: You can't provide any answers whatsoever. It speaks to the FAA's lack of oversight, and it speaks to Boeing sitting there with that, just that arrogant smirk that says, I'm going to tell you what I want to tell you, and I'm not going to tell you any more than I.
Speaker 3: Want to And they get away with it all the time.
Speaker 4: Brian, you know, in your background and law, I don't know how you put up with that, knowing that you've got this this and again these are my words, my impression. I could be totally wrong, but when I see this arrogance that Boeing has had about them for the last five years plus, it just it drives me out of my mind. Because they're not delivering the mail. It's not okay if my package gets here tomorrow instead of today. You're talking about people's lives, people that trust you, and the lack of this oversight is totally unacceptable.
Speaker 1: And it continues well, it does, And I guess it's because Boeing doesn't fear any you know, repercussions or implications. Most notably you've pointed out before many times because of the multi billions of dollars they have related to the defense industry and the fact that they do produce so many things the government relies on. They can't go out them too hard. But you know, if this is a civil action and I was asking for discovery and they refuse to give me discovery, I could go to court on a motion to compel and the judge would order it to happen, and if they didn't do it, they'd be found attempt at court, and I can get attorney's fees. There are repercussions for not handing it over. Plus you know also default like instructions to the jury that they're entitled to draw conclusions because the well, the person you're asking for the information from destroyed it or something. So spoliation inferences. But the point being there are ramifications here, there just doesn't seem to be any It's almost as if Boeing has taken a queue from like let's say, the FBI or the Department of Justice or other lettered agencies who refuse foil requests even in the face of judicial orders telling them to send over the information.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dig in your heels long enough and let the storm pass and we'll just go on about our way and we'll become back burner news instead of front burner and go from there. And you know, had Boeing really been fearful, like you said five years ago when they lied and admitted, they lied and admitted, they covered up and had two plane crashes with three hundred and forty six lives lost. That's the moment they should have pivoted and said, you know what, enough of this.
Speaker 3: We are becoming the Boeing of old.
Speaker 4: And all they've done over the last five to six years has done the same crap they've been doing since, if not more.
Speaker 3: And it's a.
Speaker 4: Miracle nobody died, thank god, in that last airline's flight. And just imagine that the explosive dreak decompression that took place at that moment where it's so loud the person next to you you could scream in their ear and they don't hear you.
Speaker 3: You've got to.
Speaker 4: Communicate with the person seated next to you in texting a message that they can read as all this is going on because of the noise. And then you understand that the flight crew in the cacpit cannot communicate with the flight attendants a to find out what's going on or be to give instructions as far as what's taking place. It was a horrific, horrific situation. Thankfully people are living with PTSD versus the airplane going down. But Brian, it's just the idea that so much of this is being looked at in retrospect is eh, you know, it's just maddening. And they've got a new CEO at the top of Bowing and I like this guy, but I'm afraid the culture is going to change him into being the hero that he has been in the past to just another one of the guys that goes along with the crowd.
Speaker 1: The lot of they've already lost a lot of good will and to lose even more and probably that translates the loss of airflying orders anyway. Moving over a mouse, Okay.
Speaker 4: Yes, can we call him a mighty mouse? I mean he's a full three inches long. I think this little dormouse is. But you're talking about the Germany's busiest airport in Frankfort.
Speaker 3: You got this this little.
Speaker 4: Mouse that at ten forty five decided for midnight snack, started chewing on one of the electrical wires.
Speaker 3: Boom the lights go out.
Speaker 4: You're talking about the busiest airport in Frankfort down because of this little mighty mouse that shoot on the wrong wire. It took Yeah, they had to dispatch the fire trucks. That did not end well for the mouse. But what ended up taking place was it took him five hours to get the power restored. I were spending billions of dollars on security, but the airport was brought down by a mouse. So fortunately it was overnight at ten forty five is when it happened. They got I think the power restored at three something in the morning. The impact of commercial aviation was minor. I think the dozen flights or less were impacted.
Speaker 3: But it just goes to show I mean, it does not take much of it.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of the American Airlines flight that left Honolulu for Asia and they don't know how, but a squirrel got into the overhead console. They take off in here they hear the scratching going on above them, and they're like, what's going on? And there was a squirrel up.
Speaker 3: There chewing on who knows what. And you talk about a crew that.
Speaker 4: Got that airplane back to Honolulu and on the ground as soon as they could. If that little guy could have chewed on through something that I don't know, they needed to keep the airplane.
Speaker 3: In the sky. Well that's great.
Speaker 1: I just kind of wonder in the back of my mind as the mouse had been radicalized online to commit this active terror for nefarious burbses.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, well you know, I mean, there's so many different angles we could go on that I'll leave them alone. But it's just it's amazing that we were worried about so many things, and you that's the thing that brings that airport to a standstill. Not environmentalist on the runway, but a mouse that's behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And all the people who's tried whose travel plans got interrupted because of that. I don't know what he was talking about. Joe Strecker mentioned something about Richard gear I don't know, but anyway, moving on hub delays is where we always part company. Jay Ratliff, don't go down this road hub Delays.
Speaker 4: That's the guy who's got my recordings being nice to him. Yeah, Charlotte has got the bullseye, plain and simple. The rain that had just camped over Savannah for like forever is now pounding Charlotte for the entire day. If you're flying American Airlines connecting through Charlotte, get to the airport extra early because we're seeing a great number of flight delays and cancellations. Most of those people, if they can, are being re routed on American through another one of their hubs Chicago, Dallas, Kennedy. It's called an online reroute, but that is going to be clearly the headache.
Speaker 3: Of the day.
Speaker 1: Jay Rayli, thank you so much for the time you spend my listeners me every Thursday. I'll look for to next Thursday already and as always, best of health you and your better half.
Speaker 3: We'll talk soon, looking forward to thank you. Eight fifty to.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC the talk station and speaking of health, cancer, Yes, cancer bad for your health, and cancer sucks and we all know that. And getting a cancer diagnosis myself probably one of the worst days of my life. And I didn't know where to turn. Didn't I didn't, I had no idea. You get diagnosed with cancer the first time, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: You have friends who recommend OHC like I'm doing to you in OHC. They are wonderful of what they do. For more than thirty five years, always on the cutting edge of treatments, modern treatments, new treatments, clinical trials where they are offering the latest treatments of treat cancer. In the world of cancer research has changed so dramatically, it's like moment to moment. So put yourself in the hands of the experts at OHC. They will surround you with everything you need to focus on what matters most, and that's beating cancer. And you and your family are really going to be concerned about that. I know that for a fact. Visit them online, get a second opinion, or start with OHC like I do. The number is eight eight eight six four nine forty eight hundred eight eight eight six four nine forty eight hundred online it's oh KRE dot com fifty five k r C