Speaker 1: It's the Dodgers and Rockies getting said for first pitch, and we're joined right now by a local kid from Orange County. Everybody a modern day high school knows who Ryan McMahon is, and certainly his reach stretches way beyond the Orange curtain, and he joins us right now at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks a lot for the time and great to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me. Man.
Speaker 1: Man, it's awesome to see you after all these years. Every year you've come back to Dodgers Stadium, every season you've been in the big leagues, you found a way to evolve and get better. Do you feel like you still have that in you?
Speaker 2: Man? I feel like you never figure this game out all the way. You just adjust and find different ways to survive. Yeah. I've been lucky, man, to stick around long enough to make a lot of trips at Dodger Stadium. Always fun coming back here.
Speaker 1: It feels like you found a home at third base. You were known for being a guy that moved around a lot. How does it feel to have a home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it feels a lot better sticking in one position. You know, when you're young, you do what you gotta do. To get in the lineup, But yeah, I definitely feel good holding down third base.
Speaker 1: When you're done with the season, do you come back to California? Do you go back to where you used to go when you were just in high school and still whatever you were doing in the lab trying to get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I come back a lot. I've got family still in Orange County, up in Elie County. My wife and I live out in Arizona, but we're back here a good bit.
Speaker 1: How much do you still lean on the same people, baseball wise, baseball community you did when you were starting out.
Speaker 2: When I'm in town, man, definitely, you know, I'll go hit with some old coaches, you know, go back to the high school and take some grumballs stuff like that. But yeah, besides that, not too much. But I definitely stay in touch with all of them. When we come and play the Angels or come play here. I always get texts and always see a lot of people.
Speaker 1: What's it like coming to Dodger Stadium. I'm not sure how many times you got here when you were a kid, But what's it like playing here?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I came here a lot. My grandfather, his work had season tickets and stuff, so we would come up bum those all the time. So I used to love coming up here. Shawn Green was my favorite player growing up, so coming back is always special for me.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had Sean Green?
Speaker 2: No? Never met him. That would be cool though.
Speaker 1: He's a he's a OC guy too. You might have to connect with him. He's in you know, the beach area. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he went Tustin High School something like that. Yeah. So yeah, hopefully one day we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Is there a rivalry between modern day and Tustin back in the day.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call it a rivalry. Man, We stomped on those guys if we played him.
Speaker 1: Ryan McMahon is our guest, all right, Ryan, I'm curious from the opponent's point of view when it comes to Otani and the things he's doing this season. How much do opposing players watch what guys like him are doing?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, As a baseball fan, it's hard not to tune and enjoy it. You know, he's he's incredible. The ball he hit for Homer last night, I mean, most people, the best you can do with that pitch is fouled off. So it's incredible. It's been fun to watch, and yeah, he's just a specimen. He's different than all of us.
Speaker 1: Where were the Rockies when he went fifty to fifty two days ago?
Speaker 2: I think we had an off day, Yes we had. I was golfing, but I remember everybody checking their phones all at once, having a bunch of messages about it. So the baseball world's talking about it.
Speaker 1: Is the most unique part about him is not just the power, but his size to be able to steal fifty bases.
Speaker 2: You know what, man, for such a big, strong, powerful guy, his feel and finesse for the game is incredible. When he's a shorten up and take his knock. I've seen him do it plenty of times, and you know it's time to let it fly. He's letting it fly. So just as all around, you know, cleanliness of his game is really impressive.
Speaker 1: What's the balance between competing and obviously having respect for what a guy like that can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the field, man, you hope he goes over four, you know, but you know he's a great talent, and you know it's it's probably not going to go that way, but you're you're always pulling for him to go for four. You want to beat him, And I mean that's that's as basic as he can go with it. You just you want to beat the other team, doesn't matter who they have or what they're doing. You know, our our goals to go out, win, win every game.
Speaker 1: Ryan McMahon is our guest, and the Rockies don't sleep on them. I feel like they're in the same spot the Diamondbacks were in just a few years ago. Does it feel like the talent is starting to come to the major league level? You already have a pretty good foundation, but do you feel like you guys are getting close?
Speaker 2: Yeah, We've got some really good pieces, man, and our bullpens really sharpened up lately, kept us in a lot of games, and we played a lot of good teams really tough. So you know, you see the teams like the Royals, like the d Backs who had all that young talent and then finally put together. So you know, we're hoping we're close like them.
Speaker 1: How much would it mean to you to be that guy like Eric Hostmer was in Kansas City, To be that guy, that veteran that's been through the bad times but still there for the good times.
Speaker 2: Just to turn around, man, for the organization. You know, I grew up in this organization eighteen years old. A lot of the people that I've met, you know, I've kind of shaped who I am as a person. So to me, it would mean a lot to feel like I helped do something or turn around in a way. But it's going to take a lot more than just. But we've got a lot of good players and a lot of good pieces.
Speaker 1: When you look around the National League specifically, can you handicap how this October may look or do you feel like it may go sideways as well?
Speaker 2: Man, I think so many teams are so good and it's gonna be it's gonna be really fun to watch. Obviously, the Dodgers are dangerous, but I think the Padres are a really good team too, which I know Dodgers fans aren't gonna want to hear, but they've got some really good pieces over there. So in my opinion, the NL is the strong side, but we'll see how it shakes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like the Padres might be the most dangerous team out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just really complete. Man. They got the stars, they got the bullpen, they got the hitters. So it should be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Ryan McMahon, thanks a lot for the time. Great to share you with Dodger fans. They know who you are, not just because of your roots here in southern California, but you've madeor mark in this season series over the years.
Speaker 2: I had a couple of big hits against the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It always feels good against the hometown.
Speaker 1: Team, no doubt. Great smile, big smile whenever he's here in LA. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to share you with Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: Thanks man,