Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: This is the Cult of Conspiracy, and I am the Cage tonight and today. Yeah, I know we're still doing our series with the underground Cities and all of the things. Yes, But through a weird change of events, I found myself doing some research into a topic that apparently everybody knew about, but I sure as hell never had. And the more I looked into it, the more I realized, I don't think many people actually know about this. So I'm going to paint you a picture.
Speaker 1: Ravenly.
Speaker 2: It is the year two thousand, right, y two K, all the things going on. Everybody was worried that the computer systems were all going to shut down at midnight on y two K because somehow these.
Speaker 1: I thought the world was Spacien and not the computers. I thought it was just end.
Speaker 2: I heard so many stories, some say that, you know, all the volcanoes are going to erupt because they have to, because you know, volcanoes totally keep track on what year a D we're currently living in because.
Speaker 1: Nature, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And that was the thing I heard a lot.
Speaker 1: All I heard was going to end like that. That was it, Like that was armageddon, like we're just gonna die.
Speaker 2: The more prominent theory that I remember hearing, and then more of the uh of the research I've done into Y two K was primarily around computers. They thought that the banking systems, our defense systems, the stocks, all that were going to just tank at midnight because well, you know, computers, they're not rigged to be able to read past nineteen ninety nine. It's like a thing. They were never programmed for that.
Speaker 1: And so to us now, we're thinking, unfortunately they survived.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, we're from our perspective today, we're thinking, like, yeah, computer can definitely go to the next like it would just go over to January first, two thousand, like it's it's well within its capabilities to make a calendar, you know what I mean. But to the people of nineteen ninety nine, this was the wildest shit they'd ever thought of. And then that was like a part of the zeitgeist. Somebody somewhere once said, oh, you know, Windows ninety nine, they don't have a Windows two thousand, they're only programmed to go to that far. And everybody was like, oh my god, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And it just ran and it just became a thing. It's weird how some of the things spread, like wildfire that you don't really like. How did that even happen? But that was the first time I ever watched Independence Day was like the Y two K.
Speaker 2: Yes, at a Y two K party, you watched the movie where the aliens invade Earth?
Speaker 1: Like, maybe that's why I have a think about aliens a little bit, just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, we're at my friend's house down the street.
Speaker 2: They they were a mere child, five years old and five were you talking trying to make you younger chick? Which is fucking yeah? Sure, five years old? Why two K is going down?
Speaker 1: Five years old?
Speaker 2: Fine, thirty years old?
Speaker 1: Why two K? Here we go?
Speaker 2: You know what, there's no pleasing these fucking people.
Speaker 1: Don't sixty two years old? Eight years It's been eighty four years. You know what? It was a Titanic moment. Okay, oh my god. First of all, fuck that old bitch. You know that bitch could have moved over. Okay, you've seen the diagrams. I know you have, because I've seen them. Even all that, all.
Speaker 2: That, I'm not saying I could forgive I could have moved over. No, I'm not saying I could forgive her letting Jack drown. No, I can't forget none of that. Fine, but the at least at the very end, have a redemption arc where you give this jewel, the heart, the heart of the sea, heart of the ocean, whatever the fuck. It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It's not real.
Speaker 2: But like the whole thing that was supposed to fund this whole boat ride where she tells her granddaughter about how she slummed it and got boned out in the back of a fucking model te Okay, all that you were supposed to be funded by the finding of this jewel she had in her pocket the whole time.
Speaker 1: That's that's what you're mad about.
Speaker 2: No, it's like Grandpa Joe in Willie Wonka. Grandpa Joe is the lowest, slimiest piece of shit ever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because he's faking all that shit.
Speaker 2: Oh he's just Oh I.
Speaker 1: Have no business smoking up, HiPE, How poor this family is. He's up dancing and shit, no Caine, the fuck.
Speaker 2: We're getting way off topic here.
Speaker 1: We are, way off way off topic. Anyway, All right, back to the point.
Speaker 2: So Y two K goes down, All right, great, Right after that we have nine to eleven, and the world, as far as the American zeitgeist is concerned, the.
Speaker 1: World is now at war.
Speaker 2: Not actually, of course, but we sure the fuck were and the world trade centers were hit. So it's the same saying it's it's what what you know? But anyway, we go to war in Afghanistan out of nowhere. Two years later, two thousand and three, we're in war with the Rock that nobody asked for but Dick Cheney has been pushing for since like ninety one and shit. So like weird chain of events, but somehow we have two separate wars being fought in two separate countries, and we're doing these things. And the big push that got us into Iraq. You remember what it was, the weapons of mass destruction. Oh yeah, yeah, we believe Saddam has has nuclear weapons nuclear The thing.
Speaker 1: I remember about that was is my mom actually took off work and came and picked me up.
Speaker 2: Wait nine eleven or Saddam.
Speaker 1: No for the war when we made the announcement, came over the radios and stuff. She actually, like.
Speaker 2: Crack in two thousand and three, she picked you up from school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well so so nine to eleven. My mom worked at the trade centers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well one yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And so she they had them there and then they got them, uh they were able to get them like back out to because she had to read the tremet for forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Shut down the public transit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a big thing. And so, you know, we didn't have cell phones and stuff. So all I knew was that she was at the World Trade Center. I had no idea what was going to happen. I didn't know if she was gonna if they were gonna do that to that set, which I was like, there's no, yeah, we had yeah, we had the World Trade Center in Oregon too, and so they they evacuated because they weren't sure what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: But that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so no, eventually, you know whatever. But for some reason, my mom, when the war conversation happened, the announcement was made. I don't know if my mom, like I can't remember if there was a reason why she got off of work, But anyway, she came and we sat and we listened to it broadcasting over the radio, and she explained me what that meant for America, of like what this means for Americans as an a war going on, and like what what's gonna happen and what you know, people are gonna die and all this stuff. And I was like, I mean, we've been at were a lot of times, but like it wasn't really. I was like, oh, okay, you know she said a lot of stuff about the money, like the aspect of the money that was going to change for a lot of Americans. Absolutely correct, you know, I was. I was in middle school.
Speaker 2: I kind of was like, okay, so this is for nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: Correct, this was for no, this is for arac Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we had already been at war for two years in Afghanistan by that, well knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Afghanistan first, Yes, she sad.
Speaker 2: So it was when nine eleven the whole announcement eleven comes on. This battle will take timers all, but make no mistake about it, we will win. That was yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure. So then everybody was a gung ho everybody, Republican, Democrat, black, white, didn't matter. We knew al Qaeda was about to get that come up ins and we were all about it rightfully. So, well, not exactly, it was an inside job, but and in that moment, the Red, White and Blue and Toby Keith's career became a thing.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I will say though, shout out to Toby Keith for being honestly like one of the best humans. He actually performed. When I was in Afghanistan, they backed Obama.
Speaker 2: Well, the every character has.
Speaker 1: Everybody has fault, you know what I will say, as a performer just yet of his political show. He came to Afghanistan and I happen to be in the fob when he was performing, and I got to like stand in front row. He was fucking amazing, by the way, like he performed all over for troops and he was just the most like fantastic human ever. So hell yeah, I'll say that, at least for that. I don't I don't know about all political stuff, but.
Speaker 2: There shouts out to Haley Williams, who also did a lot of USO tours. I was at a boot camp in SI with her step brother.
Speaker 1: I don't even know who that is, what I would I'd have to see the face. I probably know the face or the song, but like.
Speaker 2: You know her, her music probably about up up up up, about up up up up up up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're will crash out. They claim to be emo and don't know. Hailey Williams. Wow, I'm not gonna lie to you. I don't know if I actually I might.
Speaker 2: Sir Haley Williams. Right now, Holy shit, this is mind blowing.
Speaker 1: It's late at night. I'm having anyway, Haley Williams, Yeah, holy fuck. As soon as you see you're like, oh, her.
Speaker 2: I know you. I know you're gonna I know I know that.
Speaker 1: You know that, I know you, right, don't tell me you don't know the band? Oh yeah, okay, wow Paramore. Yeah. I couldn't think of her name though. Okay, said Paramour, and I would be.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, she has had a phenomenal solo career as well as I know. Besides the point, I was at SI with her stepbrother Jay. If you're out there listening, call me you dick, love you to death. Anyway, beside the point, So back to the back to the to the point of this episode.
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 2: So we get way off in the weeds here there we were, y TK. So all right, why duk at boom boom boom. Now two thousand and three, we're already at war in Afghanistan, we're fucking up the Taliban and al Qaeda all the things. We're learning very quickly that this is a clandestine country and that we stepped off into something here that we didn't really fully understand. Okay, but fine, now we have Iraq and the key point behind this was the weapons of mass destruction, right, so Dom's got these nukes. We got to go in there and get these nukes. Except for the fact that Jesus, no nuclear weapons were ever discovered recovered, No enriched uranium was ever discovered or recovered. No, he had sar and gas bombs, but we're the ones that sold those to them, right from some of the bio labs that we had going on in Ukraine and all the things. But beside the point, in that timeframe, Iran was still a bit of an asshole as they are still, and they were talking about their nuclear capabilities. They were trying to enrich uranium to get to weapons grade, even though they claimed publicly that it was strictly for nuclear power for their country. Then they decided to kick out the uh I. Forget what the group is, basically the people that's in charge of the nuclear you know, uranium enrichment and they're the ones that come in and inspect your equipment to make sure you're not going past a certain level. So as far as uranium enrichment goes from three percent on down enriched you can power nuclear power five percent, you're solid like you're good to go. There is zero reasons why somebody would enrich uranium to twenty percent unless you are trying to achieve weapons grade uranium.
Speaker 1: Are you with me now? Okay?
Speaker 2: So, when Iran decided that they were gonna go nuclear for power, quote unquote, and then they were kicking out the official body, the international officiating body is going to come in and make sure that they're not doing some fuckshit. So then we understand at this point that they are absolutely making the push to have nuclear weapons. And to us in America that's not that much of a threat. But to one of our homies in the Middle East, Israel, which I understand the political climate today, people are wanting to renegotiate how friendly we are with the nation of Israel. And that's fine, that's a conversation that we can have. I'm here for it. But at that point in two thousand and three era, we knew that Iram was making this push, but we couldn't justify sending in troops whenever. We just did this in Iraq and found nothing, you see what I'm saying. So we had to do something. So US in Israel decided, let's try to fuck up their ability to enrich uranium. And how do we do that? Well, not to get too much into the nitty gritty of how you turn uranium into weapons grade uranium, but let's say at a certain point it involves.
Speaker 1: Something called a centrifuge. And if you don't know what that is, think of a.
Speaker 2: Like a dryer. It spins, right, a clothing dryer, right, It just spins and spins and spins. A centrifuge or centrifugal, depending on the process you're in, spins fast as fuck. And by that I mean like could be anywhere from one thousand RPMs to ten thousand RPMs, depends on the process. Okay, these motors, big fucking motors, spin like crazy, and this is part of the enrichment process for the work I used to do. As a matter of fact, we had to work on these a lot. From my area of it. I had to work on the components that made sure that it was spinning correctly and what and shaking what and wobbling what and going too fast kind of things. The mechanics were the ones that actually did, like the motorized work on it. But beside the point, we found that the way that they were enriching uranium could be hacked, for lack of better words, and instead of hacking it for some sort of spyware where we can see what we're what they're doing, and you know, we can keep track of it, the powers that be decided to spice it up a little bit and essentially force one thousand centrifuges to all like shit the bed and tear themselves apart over the course of a few months. And then it continued, and then it continued and to the point to where it was finally discovered and finally acknowledged in the twenty twelve time frame.
Speaker 1: Under Obama.
Speaker 2: This started. Oh and don't get me wrong, Obama like he fucking ramped it up. Bush started it. Bush started this whole thing him and I forget who the president of Israel was at the time. We'll talk about it a bit. But between the Israeli Unit eighty two hundred, which is very similar to our NSSA and our CIA, and the then chairman of the Joint Chiefs, a dude name Cartwright. We decided to get together, get with some tech nerds and figure out a way to install a worm from a USB port into the UH. It's pretty smart. The secret nuclear facility in Iran that never existed yet somehow a lot of wild shit went down for their nuclear capabilities.
Speaker 1: It didn't stop anything.
Speaker 2: It did kick the ball down the road about ten to fifteen years, give or take. But we're currently in the situation that we're here in now because of.
Speaker 1: The same conversation.
Speaker 2: This is what it looks like when we're going kinetic ie dropping bunker busters like we did last year with Israel or bombing the fuck out of Iran. Look, we are right now as opposed to how we did it before with like, maybe we don't bomb the fuck out of them, maybe we just destroy their infrastructure to where there's no way that they can make this happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they didn't make no Lego movie about it, So did it happen? Oh?
Speaker 2: I forgot about the Lego movies. Yeah, now this is all bullshit and conspiracy. Obviously, Maybe what we're talking about, so.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe Iran will make a lego skit about Stucksnet, which is the point this is called. This episode is about Stucksnet, which might sound crazy, but again, the more we get into it and the more we break this down, it is ingenious. But it only worked to a point. The worst part was when it got out onto the main Internet and shut down all kinds of shit in twenty thirteen. Yeah oops, big oops, big oops.
Speaker 1: If you will, Oh well, so yeah, we're gonna go in on it, y'all.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about it start to finish here, I'm gonna go ahead and share the screen. We're gonna read some articles, got some Wikipedia things pulled up, I got a YouTube video. It's gonna talk about it. We are gonna learn all about this crazy operation Olympic Games kickstarted by President Bush, continued and fucked up by President Obama about how the Internet can and shall screw us over if we allow it to. Now, let's talk about that with the AI conversation at the end. But I'm jumping way ahead of myself. But anyway, if you'd like to see what we were talking about rather than just hear our voices. What you gonna do is go to patreon dot com slash cult to Conspiracy Podcast. When you go there, there are a couple of tiers for entry. If you go to that lowest level tier, that five dollars a month tier, you'll get the video evidence of all of our shows, the video clips, the news articles, whatever we have you get to see. But probably the main reason why you would do this at all is come to Patreon is because it's the only place to get these shows. Absolutely, commercial suck, advertisement suck. We know that, kick those ads out of here. Come join us over at the Patreon. But if you go to that next tier up, that third eye all the way open and tier, you'll also get to join us every Tuesday night for our Cult member live events. You listen to the show, you know, we release them on Thursdays as an episode. It's always an unhinged fiasco. Come meet all the members of the Cult collective and come be a part of it. Every Tuesday night a nine pm Central. It's always a good time. But if you go to that top tier, that manic tier on Patreon, you'll get everything we just listed, but you will also be receiving exclusive merchandise mail directly to you from us as a massive token of our appreciation for you supporting us in this way. This march will never ever ever be available on any kind of you know, merch store, online shop, whatever. This is only for our top tier manic homies. But also you get to join the book club, you get to come to the recipe Crew. You also get to be a part of the like the secret Manic Tier chat where you basically just get direct access to us, I mean, short of having my cell phone number or her cell phone number.
Speaker 1: I think this is the best way you'll be able to reach us, honestly.
Speaker 2: But all these things and more over at the Patreon come check us out without further ado. I'm gonna go ahead and share the screen. Let's talk about the guy that actually.
Speaker 1: Installed the worm. I'm gonna again paint you a picture.
Speaker 2: We're in Iran, Okay, They're at a little nuclear site, and you got this maintenance tech dude. He's been working there for a few months. He's European and no one really thinks anything of him. Pretty pretty basic, average Joe blow type of dude, a guy that wouldn't stand out in a crowd of workers. Wearing hard hats, go into the smoke pen, you know what I'm saying, Just your average guy. And he just so happens to be carrying a thumb drive. And he goes to this main room, right and I don't know specifically if it was a computer room, a mainframe room, a PLC rack, whatever the case was.
Speaker 1: But he goes there and to do some maintenance repair. But while he's there, just kind of.
Speaker 2: Slips a little thing in as he was instructed to do, and walks out and goes about his way. What this guy, Eric von Satan, what he actually just did was started something that could not be stopped and would not be stopped until basically Snowden blew.
Speaker 1: The lid off of it years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Edward Snowden, we're talking that guy, So, Edward or Eric excuse me, Edward Snoden, Eric von Saban. He was from the Netherlands, right, and he was a Dutch engineer. He was allegedly allegedly recruited in two thousand and eight by the Dutch intelligence services and the Military Intelligence and Security Services basically two different groups here, the General Intelligence and Security Service and the Military intelligence either way to infect the enriched centrifuge infrastructure at the Natan's nuclear facility in Iran with the stucksnet malware in two thousand and nine. This industrial espionage operation required years of preparation and cooperation between the CIA and Moussade. It cost a billion dollars in collaborative effort known as Operation Olympic Games. Stuck's net reportedly ruined almost one fifth of Iran's nuclear centrifuges.
Speaker 1: I bet they wont that motherfucking dead so bad, so let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Two weeks after this was planted, he fell off his motorcycle and died. No foul play was, you know, suspected.
Speaker 1: Come on, you kill Eric? Yeah, man, poor Eric.
Speaker 2: So he apparently died two weeks after Stuck's next stucks nets attack at the age of thirty six, in an apparent single vehicle motorcycle accident in Dubai.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, yeah, Like, there's no way I would sign up for this shit. They always killed people that helped people out.
Speaker 2: He was married, he had two kids, all these things. He seemed like he was just your average guy, but he was a loose end. And two weeks after he slipped that thumb drive in Apparently he just went off the.
Speaker 1: Road and he's broke his wet slicks you know from the old cartoons, because you know how wet do Bybee. You know what I'm saying. There's what you remember, like in Wiley Coyote. Just throw up a little sign wet slick like this. Yeah, exactly how it happened.
Speaker 2: So and he fell off his bike, whatever, he broke his neck. He allegedly died instantly.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: But basically they had to tie up that loose end. So this is really where we begin. And let's talk about what Stuck's net is. Okay, So well, I agree, it's not my favorite name. I don't love it. But Snuck's neck it sounds like stucks Stuck's net.
Speaker 1: It sounds like knock, that's what it sounds like. I'm sorry every time you say it, I'm like snook.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay, this is from Stanford. Here it says the countdown to zero day. We'll talk about what a zero day is. And if you know anything about computer program to have to find a zero day trigger in a program is difficult. Stucks net had four and it, Yeah, this was almost untraceable unless you knew exactly what you were looking for and where to look for it, which is kind of how it was programmed to do. Anyway, we're getting ware of it ourselves here anyway, So the United States has thrust itself in the world into the era of cyber warfare. Kim Zeter, an award winning cybersecurity journalist for Wired magazine, told a Stanford audience, Now I tried pulling up the Wired article. First of all, way too fucking long. And second you had to be like a member and pay a subscription to pull it, which is so stupid. I do love Wired, I love their publication, but at the same time, I'm not paying for that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, moving on here.
Speaker 2: Zeter discussed in her book Countdown to Zero Day, which details the discovery and unraveling of stucks net, the world's first cyber weapon. Stucks Net was the name given to a highly complex digital malware malware that targeted and physically damaged Iran's clandestine nuclear program from two thousand and seven until its cover was blown in twenty ten by computer security researchers. The malware targeted the computer systems controlling physical infrastructure such as centrifuges and gas valves. So let me give y'all at least a little bit of an idea here. If I have a machine, if I have a motor that is supposed to be running at one thousand rpm, okay, a thousand rotations permitted, cool, that's what it's rated for. This machine was built to run.
Speaker 1: At that speed.
Speaker 2: Cool, and out of nowhere, beyond my control, this machine jumps up to like eighteen hundred rpm and then drops down to like four hundred rpm and then jumps back up to eighteen hundred RPMs. You're gonna destroy your motor. You're gonna destroy your gearbox, You're gonna like, there's so many things about it that's gonna cause vibrations, rattling, things going off center, just knocking itself loose and or like spinning itself apart, which I've seen them do. It is terrifying. But so you understand what I'm saying here, right, If you don't have a motor that is rated to go that speed or drop to that slow of a speed like that, you're fucking yourself, which is the entire point of what they were doing.
Speaker 1: But we'll get to more of it.
Speaker 2: Reports following its discovery attributed the creation and deployment of stucks net to the United States and Israel. New York Times quoted anonymous US officials claiming responsibility for stucksnt. So Zeter, the author, began reporting on the cyber weapon in twenty ten, quote, when the first news came out, I didn't think much of it. The title of her book refers to zero day attack, which exploits a previously unknown vulnerability in a computer application or an operating system. That's what a zero day is. It's an unknown backdoor, if you will, into a computer program that can and will be exploited. Watching the system, I'm sorry, Watching the semantic researchers unravel stucks net, I knew it was I knew. What fascinated me was the process and brilliance of the researchers. The detective story is what pulled me in. So Zetter's book follows computer security researchers from around the world as they discover and disassemble stucks net over the course of months, much longer than any time spent in typical malware. The realization that stucks net was the world's first cyber weapon sent shockwaves through the tech community, yet did not create as much of a stir in the mainstream society. It's funny because a lot of people still don't know Stuck's Net or haven't even heard of it. The recent valid vandalization of Sony seems to have finally gotten people's attention. It was not a case of true cyber war a where warfare. I think that was supposed to be warfare, but it came out wherefair Okay, so it's not a case of true cyber warfare. But I'm glad that my book came out right before it happened, because its perception is a nation state attack has led to interest in all nation state attacks, including stucks Net. The Snowden Leaks also put cyber warfare.
Speaker 1: On the map.
Speaker 2: See they played they spelled it right there.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that was about anyway.
Speaker 2: So this is her actually speaking on behalf of the book, what she found, and a little background information into stucks Net before we get more into it.
Speaker 1: The author Wired magazine reporter Kim Zetter miss Zetter, what is or what was stucks Net?
Speaker 3: Stuck's Net was a virus slash worm that was used to attack Iran's nuclear plant in the tons. It's a uranium enrichment plant, and so the worm was designed to manipulate the computers that control this interfuges and speed them up and slow them down in order to degrade the level of uranium enrichment, and also to do some wear and tear on the centrifuges and destroy them.
Speaker 1: What was unique about stucks.
Speaker 3: Net, Well, Stuck's Net was really sophisticated. Its First of all, I guess the most unique thing is that this was a virus that was designed to physically destroy something. So in the past, we've seen malware that stills passwords, it stills credit card numbers, things like that, but we'd never seen something that was designed to physically destroy essentially leap out of the digital world into the physical realm and have some kind of kinetic activity. So that was the first thing that made stex net unique. Other than that it was really sophisticated. It was as I mentioned, it's designed to increase and increase and slow the speed of the centrifuges. But while it was doing that, it also did this remarkable trick, which was to make the operators at the plant think that the operations were perfectly normal. So what it did was it recorded normal activity on the computers first, and then it played back that normal activity to the monitoring machines when stucks net was actually doing the sabotage. So that was something remarkable about it. And one more thing that was remarkable was that stucks net used what are called zero days five zero days to spread, And a zero day is a vulnerability and software that's unknown to the software vendor, so therefore no patch exists, and zero days tend to be fairly rare, and they're also time consuming and expensive to find for the vulnerabilities and also to develop exploits for them. So generally we see maybe one zero day used in an attack, and this one used five zero days.
Speaker 1: Where and how was stucks net developed and by.
Speaker 3: Whom, Well, we believe it was developed by the US and Israel, and it was tested both here in the US and in Israel. Where and how This was a process that took a number of years to develop. There were multiple teams working on it. We had to have separate teams working on the actual centrifuges to determine the effect that stucks and it would have on them. So in that regard, that requires material scientists to examine the centrifuges, how speeding them up would affect them, how slowing them down would affect them. Then you have a team that is looking at the siemens controllers, the computers that are controlling the centrifuges, and you need to find vulnerabilities in that, and you need to find ways of getting your worm onto the system and in a way that will hide it so no one can discover it. And then you had a third team that was developing the spreading mechanisms, the zero days and things like that. So there are multiple teams over a minimum of six months, probably longer. The centrifuge research itself probably took a couple of years, and then it all came together around two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: And when you say the US, do you mean the Defense Department?
Speaker 3: This would be so there are multiple agencies that worked on it. This would have been is a covert operation. So getting the worm onto a system requires an agency that has covert authorities. In that case, we're talking with the CIA. Developing a code like this, of course requires really elite programmers, and so we're looking at elite teams with the NSA. The Edward Snowden documents have pointed to a lot of the activity of those elite teams that are designed to do a deep espionage and what's called CNA computer network attacks, and so that would have been also in conjunction with the military. The US Cyber Command is sort of an umbrella of NSA and the militaries.
Speaker 1: Kim Zetter, where where did the name come from?
Speaker 3: Stuck's net was?
Speaker 2: So I'm not going to play any more of that one, actually because it cut off right there.
Speaker 1: But if you want to see the whole interviews on c SPAN.
Speaker 2: But so I said there was four zero day. A lot of the information that I found said four. She is saying five. But either way, to have one zero day is ridiculous in and of itself. To have two unheard of four or five, that's fuck it like, actually unheard of, that is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Ship But though it is, the way that she broke it down made a hell of a lot of sense. I mean, you're gonna you'd have to have had multiple teams to be able to test all the components of it. The biggest thing is to be able to get it into there without being detected.
Speaker 2: So yes, agreed, and so all right, how did they test it?
Speaker 1: You might ask, Well, they probably took our they our stuff, and this was like, fuck it, let's we got plenty on backup. Let's just try it out. Yes and no, they tested on Russia. No, no, even worse in China, Israel, Israel them, Well they were testing it on their ship.
Speaker 2: It's the same as to say that America tests it on our own.
Speaker 1: Come on, now, we basically give them all their shit.
Speaker 2: So like, okay, which is how we got in this position, to be honest with you. So all right, let's backtrack here. So Stucksnet itself was developed, they allege as a.
Speaker 1: Joint operation between US and Israel.
Speaker 2: For the record, no one has ever actually still to this day, nobody's ever acknowledged that it's under.
Speaker 1: Sure it was some kind of whatever. I mean, They probably just were like, hey, so we're doing this, We're gonna test on your shit. We'll give you more shit later on.
Speaker 2: Okay. This would have been like if the Joker batman, right, and the Joker killed a person and left a Joker playing card on the body, and then they're like, oh, this was the Joker, and the Joker's like, I don't know Whi's talking about, dude, that's essentially what this is with like it was obviously Israel and America, and it's like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, I don't even know which talk about right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has all of the hallmarks. Your signature is right here, bro.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if that's mine. So we're comfiicient with it, I mean realistic to make sure that they had at least four to five So all.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, here's even more background onto this. So Siemens is a company, it's one of the big ones as far as the tech industry is concerned.
Speaker 1: Yea, right.
Speaker 2: I used to work on Semens components for a lot of the things. And so there's a thing called a PLC programmable logic controller and typically these are used in manufacturing facilities where you just need a machine to do of the same function over and over again indefinitely. Okay, you program it in. It's all you know. If this happens, and this happens, then this component moves. Okay, it's a lot of stops and goes as far as like mechanics are concerned.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: So as a way to find a weakness in the manufacturing of these components for nukes.
Speaker 1: They reached out to Siemens.
Speaker 2: And these Germans had no idea why the American government specifically was asking these very poignant questions about a very specific PLC that they have. It's not like it's one that's only used in nuclear manufacturing. No, it's just like that specific model, Like I guess, yeah, we could, we could look and see if there's a vulnerability. But it's a PLC something that you program typically on site. Like it's not. You can you can have it pre programmed from the manufacturer and run it that way. But typically a do with a laptop, once it's plugged in and set up, sets up the whole code for it, and then it's set for good. It's not something that typically somebody would call the manufacturer to ask about this. But they answered again, they had no idea what this was about. They basically found a weakness in a local component. I'm trying to find a way to explain this.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Let's say that Ford is coming out with a new Ford F one fifty Okay, and they whoever they might be in this case, let's just say the United States government they want to fuck up a specific F one fifty. So they call Ford and they ask, hey, man, is there any kind of weird things going on with the transmission for this year and make and model of f one fifties that you may or may not have sold around the Texas area between this month and this month. Ford would be like, Uh, we can run some numbers and see, but I guess I'm sure. Yeah, there's a couple of things wrong with this one. In this one factory defaults. But they were seeing as no big deal whatever, Okay, great, and then you never hear from them again. What would the government do with that? To fuck with that transmission, you would have to have a guy on the ground locally, but actually put his physical hands on that component to fuck with it. It's not something you can like wire in from DC, you know what I'm saying. So for this PLC to have a fault, you would have to get a guy to go in physically and do something with it locally. It's not something you'd be able to, like, you know, send a Wi Fi link across the pond and and fuck up their system. This is also a part of how and why, like you're saying, like the the the program itself of stucksnet is impressive in and of itself. More impressive is the way they got this dude from the Netherlands, Eric rip friend of the show, to be the Patsy.
Speaker 1: So to speaker Stein.
Speaker 2: Von Saban's Uric von Lichtenstein.
Speaker 1: We're going to say Eric now.
Speaker 2: It's Eric von Lichtenstein now from Galdalin, yep. Obviously famous joust friend of the show.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: So but you see the this is there's so many things that had to line up perfectly for this to work, and it did.
Speaker 1: It probably was, I mean, like she said, it was years in the making. I mean, there are so many things that you need to account for and then to be able to get it all in that little hard rub and then trust old boy just happens to have access to it and all these scenes and just at the right time, and no one is going to be down there. Could you imagine how nervous he was? Oh my god, oh my god. Yes, And then as soon as he did, yeah, that he dies. He dipped.
Speaker 2: He went to Dubai two weeks after this happened, and keep in mind he was only working there for a few months, but you know, enough time to like get everybody comfortable with seeing him around or whatever. And two weeks after he installed this worm, this virus, if you will, into the system, he dips. He's in Dubai riding his motorcycle, living his life, and they're like, yeah, no, bro. And he was married to an Iranian. So he was from the Netherlands, but he was married to an Irani. And that's how he even got the job. It was, it was a whole thing, the salty. Oh, it's it's crazy. But but and again you got to keep in mind the climate. Right two thousand and three, we invade Rock, we find no weapons of mass instruction.
Speaker 1: We couldn't tell the American people.
Speaker 2: Were about to do some function to Iran for the same thing after we just blew our load to no avail in the Iraq situation, so we had to do it covert. So Israel was developing a nuclear site. They wanted to become a nuclear player. Now they already had nuclear weapons that we gave them, but as far as nuclear power was concerned, it was this, uh, the worst kept secret of.
Speaker 1: The Middle East.
Speaker 2: That way, I'm being honest. Everybody knew. Israel always of course denied Tony deny. I don't know what you're talking about, plead the fifth whatever or whatever their version of the Fifth is. But everybody knew that that site specifically was Israel's nuclear site that they were developing.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a horribly kept secret.
Speaker 2: But because it was still in the building stages of it, the centrifuges were being installed, so they used them as the test run, if you will, and they just wanted to see would this work. Could we force this mechanical device to spin itself into oblivion?
Speaker 1: And then let's backtrack it even further.
Speaker 2: Can we get this device, this program to record normal everyday operations, and then by the time the people running the facility realize that something's gone horribly wrong, there's already like twenty machines that are now fucked up instead of just the one. And then even further, how can we fit all of that onto a flash drive?
Speaker 1: Alien tech? Obviously alien tech.
Speaker 2: And then once we get all of these components together, now we need to make sure that it can't go live until we want it to go live. Okay, good, got that check. And then also we have to find a willing participant to basically sacrifice their life.
Speaker 1: To install it. I mean they probably told him that he was gonna be fine and here's a bunch of money and like all this crap game.
Speaker 2: They told him he was going to get American citizenship or some shit. He was probably hiding out.
Speaker 1: In Dubai, probably got like, you know, a billion dollars and was like, holy shit, this is gonna be awesome. Oh man, uh.
Speaker 2: In those days, billionaire in two thousand and three, two thousand and five timeframes when they really started to work on it.
Speaker 1: It was installed in eight. No way a billion. I don't even know if we had billionaires in eight maybe Gates. I have no idea, to be honest with you, but.
Speaker 2: They definitely they had. They give him a pretty sizeable bag.
Speaker 1: I would think, so, how did this Well, I guess we're going to get to that. I want to understand who was able to figure out that, Like, clearly something was happening, but you know, no one really knew for years what that something was.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of why and how Aroan hasn't been able to develop nukes because it took them years to backtrack. Basically had to shut the site down because the computers are showing that everything's running correctly. But I'm watching this thing tear itself apart, so something is wrong here. They had to go all the way back to the PLC rack. They had to work their way upwards from there to make sure that that was the only spot that it was. And that's before it jumped onto the internet. Oh oh yeah, stucks that made its way to the World Wide Web.
Speaker 1: What's crazy, though, is like I wonder, I wonder how they found it, Like I wonder how they were able to like finally trace it back. But I mean people that understand this computer stuff though, are crazy smart.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I tried, I really did.
Speaker 1: While I was working in that field.
Speaker 2: There's certain things, certain components that I like really dove in on to try to become a better employee. And then there were certain things where it's like I would have to go to specialized training to understand what I'm even reading right now. Like I don't speak code. I can I can read binary, hexadecimal and octadecimal. I can program PLCs. I could do these things to a certain level. But like, brother, you're talking about doing some wild you know, some computer program that I first off don't have access to, a second I've never heard of before, And third, I might know one guy from college that might know what I'm even looking at, right, and no.
Speaker 1: Two guys actually, off the top of my head that would be the people. Actually one of them disappeared into the into the government, and like, I'm not even actually, you know, I'm not even exaggerating, Old Higgins. Wherever you Wiggins, wherever you are, Higgins, I know you're out there, and I'm sure you're somehow going to find this because Bro is so smart. But yeah, I know he would be the one to be able to do this.
Speaker 2: Me shout out to Higgins, friend of the show he is, Yeah, shout out. He'd be a great guy to have on the show.
Speaker 1: I doubt he'd be down and even find him anymore. He literally went to work for the government and disappeared. Higgins.
Speaker 2: If you're listening, Bro, drop us a.
Speaker 1: Line off of all like all sources traces everything he's gone. God, like your mail a letter to our po box. Speaking of I know that he probably will somehow hear this. I don't know why I know this, but like I just feel it in my soul somehow way. But we know a lot of people. I know a lot of people that are in a lot of different weird places in the world. But this stuff, though my mom would be able to do it, not me. I'm I don't understand it all because it's so even when I had a program stuff from the basic level, so I had to like build an entire program and like code it out for cell phones to be able to talk to each other and stuff, and for phones to be able to work and stuff. Man, the only reason I'm gonna be really honest that was the equipment you were physically working on with your hands. So like you got me. I got to like type on the computer, though I had to like put them all together, and then I had to like program it out. Memorization was my friend. Like that's that's how I was able to do it. But like just sitting with this stuff, I've watched people that were actually smart enough to like break down codes and like they're looking at all these things, and I was like, what are we looking at? Like they're literally just numbers. It might confused, but I look, I'm be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I thought I was I thought I was smart when I learned how to program my radio. Yeah, because they taught us how to do it to the tune of Iron Man.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck now I forgot the first one, the first two of it something something load and so that's how you load my radio. Yeah, And I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I can remember that. I've already forgot it.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: That's what's crazy, though, is it's ever changing, like all of us is, Yeah, constantly changing and involving. I think the people that actually are hackers and do all that stuff, you know, that's a level of genius though that oh I would never come to like.
Speaker 2: This required two separate groups of hackers geniuses, Like literally all of them had to be geniuses to figure this out. So, you know, we always talk about that the government definitely has hacker groups. We're gonna be talking about two of them on this one that are like famously known to be Dark Web hackers that.
Speaker 1: Like the thing that people don't know, like even I know this. And I've been like, let's be really honest, outside of like coming on the podcast, I've been living in books, yeah, and like reading research and doing that stuff. So like for me to know this, you guys all know this. I feel like.
Speaker 2: People might like they know it the same way that they know that the refrigerator is currently on right now, right, Yeah, like your refrigerator is running, catch it? No, no, no, sious though, like, oh, you know I loved Dad Joe dad jokes. You're solid anyway, you know that your refrigerator is currently running, even though you don't actually know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like that. People probably know that there's government sanctioned hacker groups operating at their behest, but they haven't really given it much thought beyond that.
Speaker 1: It's just one of those things. I don't know that makes sense. When I was younger, and I was just like cool, that is never going to be me. But like, look, my mom built an entire system from the ground up, like literally train herself built it for the entire company, which the company she worked for was massive, by the way, it is a massive company. She's the one that created the entire system they still use to day. And I was like, she would tell me about this stuff, and I was like, man, I'm gonna go into the garden keyboard. It's a keyboard for you. She showed me. Shit, nos, it's like boo, my my dad needs some help out there cleaning the cars or the chickens, or I'll go water the plants. I'll go poll some wheeds. I was like me, and she's like, yeah, you gotta like type here, type here, click click. I was like, man, you lost me on click one and type what, Like what are we talking? I'm gonna have to get a notepad, like I need you to tell me everything step by step by step, and even then I'll probably fuck it up. What's crazy, though, is I taught myself radio stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because it was important to you because it was your job, right and it's something that was essentially life or death at a certain point, So it got a little more serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, radios and blue Force trackers and stuff like that, which is like a computer program and stuff, you know, and satellites and that stuff. Maybe because I just I was like determined to make sure that we had the best calm up possible because you know, people's lives literally depended on it.
Speaker 2: It's a little a little different scope, you know, a little more weight behind it.
Speaker 1: But just like sitting on the computer, I've actually like looked into trying to do that, like the coding and stuff like we're talking about. And I looked at it for about five minutes and I was like, I don't speak computer I was like, man, that's why fron was a great movie.
Speaker 2: For the job that I had. It was very much like on my tools, like, yeah, every now and then I have to get a laptop and hook up. But that was the rare exception, you know what I mean? That was that was the maybe maybe once every six months there was something that required that level of technical know how. Everything else was was fucking hand tools.
Speaker 1: I feel like I drive truck like yo, like motor T style on on this. Yes, shout out to motor T Marines. We're not not on you. I will, but.
Speaker 2: Rude, no, I'm not saying all motor Te marines or ship I'm saying that the ones that I personally dealt with in d C.
Speaker 1: Were Okay, d C is like a fucking unicorn whatever situation of another one, So like I recognize that, let's just like bear with it, Okay, everything about you DC is like fucking out of Narnia straight up. Like experiences may very vastly from different planes in the Marine Corps, like his experiences. My experiences are like completely and day, night and day. I have friends that have experienced totally different things. Hell, I still find out new moss in the Marine Corps. That I'm like, what the fuck is that? Like?
Speaker 2: Random use specialized things. It's like, there's only a thousand of you in the entire Marine Corps. How do you promote?
Speaker 1: Well, we kind of don't. Why are you doing this? It's what the for? The fire and rescue people. Have you ever met some of them? I met too, So I've met so I knew for them because they happened to be hunging, hanging out in calm school.
Speaker 2: Were they like wingside was around the wing only I've met two of them on a range one time. That's the same place I met the weatherman, which was crazy.
Speaker 1: There's a Marine Corps weatherman.
Speaker 2: On airstrips because he has to know They have to know the humidity, they have to know the wind direction, all these things. I three weatherman. I'm like, so how many of though? Were only this many in the wing? I'm like, so you promote? When that guy gets out, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, fuck that he does pretty much. Look, I will say though, that I that mos Tho the Fire and Rescue is probably one of the toughest, most physically demanding moses out of anyone in the Marine Corps. I witnessed some of it. And I've actually talked to the people that like actually passed, and I actually know two that failed and became calm people. And I will say it is by far one of the toughest, if not like in the top three toughest moss in the Marine corps. Like straight up, I want no problems with these people. I want no smoke.
Speaker 2: Oh no, ah no. But the two that I met, they were stationed on an airstrip so that if there was a crash land they could respond.
Speaker 1: For a wild time. Anyways, back to.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry sorry, So countdown to zero also places Stuck's Net in political context. The first version of Stuck's Net was built and unleashed by the Bush administration in two thousand and seven. According to Zetter, Iran accelerated its enrichment process in two thousand and eight, so they installed it right at a critical point when Iran was trying to ramp up production. President Obama inherited the program. He not only continued it, but accelerated it.
Speaker 1: So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: When Bush was doing his pass down with Obama, he like, of all the things, all things, Yes, we got this going on. Listen, there's this secret program.
Speaker 1: Keep going with it. If you don't want.
Speaker 2: To deal with Iran attacking Israel and that to us problem, you need to just lean into this. Let the nerds do their nerd thing and let them fuck up the Iranian nuclear shit to where we don't actually have to shoot a bullet. And Obama was like, got you say less and just decided to throw more funding behind it. Super low key under the radar. So anyway, Another more aggressive version of stucks net was released in June two thousand and nine, and again in twenty ten. Obama gave the order to unleash stucks Net while publicly demanding Iran to open itself up to negotiations. This is this is that that'll rope a dope. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Look over here. Meanwhile, I'm fucking you over here, and you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You're looking at my face listen, iron Actually I'm not trying to do my my Obama pression.
Speaker 1: Oh god, here we go.
Speaker 2: We need the iatola to come to the negotiation tables and uh stop this whole nuclear fiasco before it happens. I actually do a pretty decent Obama.
Speaker 1: It's alright, it's all right, one, all.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in reality, they were They were slipping an even harder to find, more aggressive version of the virus into their nuclear program. And old BOYD already died. So how they do that, you might ask, It's a great question. Let's read more. Obama gave you Orr said that, ra I'm sorry. The effectiveness of the world's first cyber weapon remains a subject of debate. The most optimistic assessment of Stuck's net is that it delayed and slowed Iran's uranium development enough to dissuade Israel from unilaterally striking the country, and it afforded time for intelligence and diplomatic efforts. Stuck's net contributed to dissension and frustration among the upper ranks of Iran's government. The head of Iran's nuclear program was replaced and bought time killed he obviously he was killed, and it bought time for harsh economic sanctions to impact Iranian public to a point. To a point, right, like Iran has always had their homies that they do business with, they have become ostracized from the rest of the world community. They're one of these nations like North Korea that like no one wants to fuck with. But the only ones that are willing to fuck with, like they go hard with, you know what I mean. Same with like North Korea and China. China doesn't like Kim Jong, but like no one else is willing to reach out to them, so they they're tight like that kind of thing. Iran's the same with China and Russia.
Speaker 1: Food for thought.
Speaker 2: Stuck's Net actually had very little effect on Iran's nuclear program. It was premature. It could have had a much bigger effect had the attackers weighted. Iran still made a net gain in their uranium stockpile while being attacked, and they are updating their centrifuges, which would make Stuck's Net obsolete. To say that they up their uranium stockpile, that's a true statement.
Speaker 3: It did.
Speaker 1: They didn't upgrade their enriched geranium stockpile. It was all like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, unrefined, so to speak. The more unsettling parts of the books catalog security vulnerabilities in America's public infrastructure which could easily be victim to a stucks Neet style attack, and considered the implications of the era sucks Net heralded. For example, in two thousand and one, hackers attacked California ISO, a nonprofit corporation that manages the transmission system for moving electricity through most of California. More recently, Zeta writes that in twenty eleven, a security research team quote penetrated the remote access system for the Southern California Water Plant and was able to take control of equipment the facility used for adding chemicals to drinking water end quote. And y'all might remember that twenty eleven there was this whole cyber attack where they had lost.
Speaker 1: Control of water valves, and I remember.
Speaker 2: People kind of downplayed that, like, oh, yeah, hackers and get in terms of water valves. Ooh, And it's like we should kind of look a little deeper into this. How were hackers able to hack into a city's water mainframe in order to shut and close and open valves? And like, that's that's not a good thing. And if that's vulnerable, how secure is the rest of our infrastructure. Water's kind of critical to human life, some might say, the second most important thing next to air. Yet somehow some hacker group was able to just do that. Yeah, that's a bit concerning.
Speaker 1: You know, what kills me is the open air water tanks and stuff back in the day. I don't know if they still have those. Some do, but like there was Yeah, I always thought about that when I was driving past them, and I'm like, they're massive, huge water tanks that are open aired, and it's like, anyone could poison this. And I was saying about that when I was like a kid. I was like, anybody could poison this and at any point and then we hear all about China's bullshit, and then you know, this happens and it's like, okay, well, if they can do that, then they can make all sorts of other things happen with the water. Yeah, which we need the water to be able to survive.
Speaker 2: Well, so all right, throwing poison into a water tank, I'm with you, right, but that's what we would call a kinetic attack. There was something physical that took place there. Yeah, And I've said the same thing. I worked at a shell for a good chunk of time, and there's these massive butted dying tanks that are really close to the highway.
Speaker 1: If you don't know what butted dying is, look it up.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is if a person, some domestic or foreign terroriced group were to shoot some sort of an exploding projectile at those tanks. The city is now a crater, jeez like, because that would set off a chain reaction. That would set off a chain reaction. It would probably like re route the Mississippi River on some very real levels. These tanks are behind a chain link fence. You can visibly see them from the road, and nobody has thought of upping security, putting some tree foliage up in the front to kind of block them nothing.
Speaker 1: Because some of the stuff they have around the country, Because I've drove around this country a lot and I see things and I'm like, yeah, who thought of this? Like who decided that this was like a good idea to just like leave open and accessible to anybody at all. And it's just like, Okay, it's wild to me. You hear some things that don't make any lock of sense, and then other things that make sense you just leave completely vulnerable to any attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again we're talking about kinetic attacks. Yeah, cyber attacks are something different.
Speaker 1: Cyber attacks are total but like them shutting off just the water supply and all of that. You're talking about, what if they got ahold of the dams. Yes, the dams are what I mean really, like, if you're really gonna fuck with some stuff, the dams really could fucking with.
Speaker 2: The entire drinking water situation of California, especially knowing how much of a drought they're always in. That's bad enough, but even still dams, Or how about the power grid?
Speaker 1: Or how about our own nuclear power.
Speaker 2: Plants or our own nuclear defense systems, Like there's so many levels that like, Okay, if you were able to do this, what's stopping you from doing that?
Speaker 1: The power grid situation, though, is just a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Our power grid is so I think vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna have to do an actual episode on the power grid.
Speaker 2: Sure good.
Speaker 1: When I learned about it the first time, I actually tracked it through because I was in this energy class. We're talking about all the different types of energy and stuff, and we started talking about the power grid, and I was like, let me look into this, and it is just the most ridiculous thing. I mean, if we're talking about they did this for years, yeah, and we they know like at least it had the it's called zero what again, zero points or zero zero?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, shit, you fucked it screwed up. Hold on, we're gonna find it now on zero not zero day.
Speaker 1: Huh uh? Countdown to zero day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, zero day.
Speaker 1: So they had five of those things, Ye easily you could do. You use that and just absolutely wreak havoc in so many areas oh yeah of America. I mean realistically, that they attacked or just did a few centralized places, we would be screwed, fucked. And it's like, Okay, well you showed your hand by using this, and by doing it, I guess by doing it too early, it wasn't as effective. I mean, but that's the thing that is you would you want them to have complete access and have everything set up and then go in and do it. Your chances of actually getting to that point, though, verse while it's on the starting ground up and no one's really paying much mind who's around, is the better optional, least in my eyes.
Speaker 2: Well, so this was the first cyber warfare attack that had ever been committed. Now, yeah, you had like viruses in like chain emails and things like the trojan horses, or somebody would download some music from Pirate Bay or lime Wire or frost Wire one of those where it was like, okay, this probably has a virus on it. Okay, that was a thing that happened this like specifically for the purpose of warfare, and to go from Oh, we're not just trying to shut down their computer system, We're trying to make their machines destroy themselves. Nothing like this had ever been attempted before. They didn't even know if it was possible. But then when they realized, like, oh, we could just call siemens see what the weak link is, and we could hire a couple of like teams of hackers, and we could get with Israel because America wanted Israel in on this to be the patsy, because if this was discovered, America could completely step back and be like, I kid, you.
Speaker 1: Hear what Israel just did that?
Speaker 2: Can you believe Mussad did cyber warfare in realcy like it was. I would actually argue that it was more of a US thing than an Israel thing. It was it's more of a threat to Israel if Iron has nuclear weapons. It was more of a US as far as who put the gas in the tank to make this car go?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. We were we were footing that bill like an eighty twenty split. I would I would think, but cyber weapons are definitely a scary thing because we don't have a lot of people that can actually combat this. Like I feel, yeah, we have a team obviously, we have like groups that are dedicated with Hell, they made an entire new branch in the military that is just for this Space Force. No, they made the cyber Group. Remember they just signed it in Oh wait.
Speaker 2: They're trying to make a new branch of the military right now.
Speaker 1: I remember they signed it in Oh god, all about cyber weapons. Did they pass it? I know where they were talking about. You know, I actually don't know. I'd have to look it up, but I mean.
Speaker 2: Dude, what is that branch going to be called the nerds?
Speaker 1: I don't even know. But I'm not trying to be funny. But also, like, yo, what do you call that?
Speaker 2: Like we got Air Force, Army, Space Force, which is already weird and crazy enough.
Speaker 1: Space Force is kind of cyber Force. Like, I don't know, you know what I think it is? Cyber Force was no, we read it. Remember, dude, if hyber Force cyber Command, cyber.
Speaker 2: Command, cyber Command, which clearly needs to be under the auspices of the Space Force, that doesn't need its own independent branch.
Speaker 1: But like, all right, cool, I guess to be honest, I don't Cybermission Force.
Speaker 2: But who's that is that? It's not a branch, is it.
Speaker 1: Let me see what the fuck is Trump doing now? He signed one in. I'm I promise you're for I'm gonna have to look into it. Yeah, because it's the US Cyber Command Lunar Force. They even have like a whole thing, like they have a whole website and everything.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure a branch is a wing, but anyway, anyway, So but to your point, yeah, we have teams that are working in that regard to stop these attacks, but your average citizen can't do anything about that. Most and if they could, they could learn how to like, you know, learn the programming code and try to find ways to make themselves more secure.
Speaker 1: But how many Americans are actually gonna like do that? Real shit? What you find is not officially a branch yet, but they have ongoing proposals and they've signed in all sorts of stuff as a new service branch under the Army to address the emerging cyber threats under the Army, And as of like a month ago, they released a whole thing saying that the US Cyber Force is inevitable. It's gonna happen. It's going to be a whole new branch. Because Space Forces was his first one. Now the Cyber Force is this one. Because remember he's still pushing Ai so hard in the race for Ai. So I wouldn't doubt that this was the thing because honestly, a lot of the tax feel like they're more cyber anyways. I mean you could do so much from the web now and access everything because everything is digital. Yeah, so instead of like having somebody turning a valve somewhere doing something by hand, now everything's ranmed by the computer.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Plus you got the AIS that are integrated into everything.
Speaker 2: Like, I gotta tell you, I'm happy the Marine Corps is never gonna have like something under it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like the Navy. Like the Marine Corps is under the Navy.
Speaker 2: The Air Force was under the Army and they got their own thing going on now, and now they have something under them with the Space Force. The Coast Guard's homeland security they don't count, and now the Army's about to have the cyber Force.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: The Marine Corps is just the sledgehammer that we don't need something under We don't need some sort of specialized department underneath us. We can do a thing, you know what I mean, what would our specialized group look like?
Speaker 1: Genocide?
Speaker 2: We're launching the eighth branch of the United States Military, the genocide Branch under the United States Marine Corps.
Speaker 1: And everybody's like, what, so what, It's just kill.
Speaker 2: That's it, the kill Branch. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: I'm so upset if I couldn't join, I'd be like, well, what's the age bracket? What if it was like the Dirty Old Veterans branch? Just have like a dirty old veterans like the Dirty Dozen, except for the dirty old veterans.
Speaker 2: Like I've said this for years, if you were to give every redneck, don't look at their criminal history.
Speaker 1: We're not here to talk about that.
Speaker 2: But like nine to eleven goes down al kind, all things got to get to Afghanistan. Dude, find every old, fucking crotchety redneck and make sure they are well plied with dip Marlboro Reds and as much beer as they require. Do not skimp on the beer, and tell them that there's no hunting limit on this particular thing like this whole situation will be done before hunting seasons out.
Speaker 1: There's a whole thing going around right now about this guy in the UK that challenged Americans and said, we want you to send one hundred Americans a verse one hundred of us no weapons and we'll see who wins. Brother, the comments in the videos that have spun from this, and then I watch Old Boy today with one hand carrying a fucking badger, a honey badger carried a badger and she's like that ain't no puppy baby, and he's like, oh I but still look at it. It's so cute. This motherfucker is like ah, and he's like just one hand in it.
Speaker 2: And it's like Redbeard Gingerous, fuck camouflage pants, no shirt man, like the man knows the way around the trailer.
Speaker 1: I was like, so you want to put up him and some Florida man's and some blackheads and some waffle house workers' sam and uh, you want to throw them in a fight over there? Like like no, I know that Britain has. It's like rough areas. They're scrappy. I will say they are. They are scrappy and they can fight real good in a lot of videos I've seen. They're they're pretty good fighters.
Speaker 2: I've met the British Royal Marines. There are some solo jets. They're really bad gents. But we're talking just your average run of the mill American, your average running the mill brit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're just talking about the average.
Speaker 2: We're just do we really want that? Like, does does Britain want that smoke?
Speaker 1: Like? Actually, I feel like some of them do. Someone want to talk shit, but hey, we can all be their helicleberryes.
Speaker 2: No, it's like Britain needs they can move here. We're not a Muslim nation like the UK is right now, like y'all could come here and just like try it, you know, try try being an American for a little bit, then come with that same energy.
Speaker 1: I love a lot of English people that I've met though. They're just so fantastic.
Speaker 2: So you know why they're fantastic because you met them here and they are so fucking happy to be in America.
Speaker 1: Now. I mean a lot of I'm like I was friends with those some that are overseas, like I told you still yeah oh wow rip yeah, no, they like they're gone. We have quite a few listeners from over there too, and like they're I feel bad for everybody that's suffering through a lot of what they're going through. But to the point though that they I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, every British person ever talked to like wishes they were in America.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean that's that's fair. But they have great architecture at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is pretty cool. I have a friend of mine who she lives in a house that's like four hundred years old. Yeah, and I'm like, what, like that's like a normal thing for her little area, And I'm just like.
Speaker 1: That's so much cool shit over there when.
Speaker 2: Your house is older than my country. And she's like, yeah, yeah, it's just how it is.
Speaker 1: It's just how it is.
Speaker 2: And like the town's built so dense that like nobody's tearing it down to build something new, Like no one's got money like that. So she's just yeah, I would just keep updating it. But they still have this issue against air conditioning, which is still do.
Speaker 1: Not understand that. But that's a whole I told you.
Speaker 2: About that chick. How about yogurt on the windows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, it's really it's but it's become a political thing.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing articles like is air conditioning a conservative ploy? They are politicizing air conditioning because apparently sweat is like it's a Republican.
Speaker 1: Democrat thing over there.
Speaker 2: Oh well whatever, Okay, the crunchies over there are like ace is bad for the earth.
Speaker 1: She's crying. Meanwhile, everybody's like, dude, fuck you, I love my don't we don't have to sweat if we don't need to, you know, like, okay, to the.
Speaker 2: Back to the point here. Anyway, So the Obama administration is publicly announced that shoring up infrastructure security is a top priority. ZETR finds this ironic because unleashing stucksnet has opened the US up two attacks using the same malware, which we can talk about in a bit about the argument of how stucks net got out into the mainframe and absolutely did wreak a little bit of havoc on the United States.
Speaker 1: There's actually a list.
Speaker 2: Of countries that it had a little bit of some playtime, and we're on the list, among some other nations. We'll talk about that a bit. Anyway, when you launch a cyber weapon, you don't just send the weapon to your enemies. You send the intellectual property that created it and the ability to launch the weapon back against you, which is understandable. It's like reverse engineering. Once they figure it out, they can just replicate it, add a little extra flare to it, add a couple more of these zero days to it, and then tada, Now it's something that you can't see. You no reverse So Marcus Rinnan, one of the early innovators of the computer firewall, called Stuck's net a stone throne by people who live in a glasshouse. One of the dudes who created the firewall said that about this, wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: More broadly, stucks Net heralded an era of cyber warfare that could prove to be more to instructive than the nuclear era. For Zetter, there is also irony to the use of cyber weapons to combat nuclear weapons. She quotesnet Cannet Benedict, God, what a weird name. Cannet Benedict, the executive director of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, pointing out quote that the first acknowledged military use of cyber warfare is ostensibly to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons. A new age of mass destruction will begin. In an effort to close a chapter from the first age of mass destruction, that's actually pretty deep. That's absolutely wild, and a lot of people have the same fears. The US lost the moral high ground from where it could tell other countries to not use digital weapons to resolve disputes. No one has been killed by a cyber attack, but I think it's only a matter of time. For the record, we lost the moral high ground, arguably in the sixties. Just throwing it out so like it's cool. There's nothing new here. We're doing some foul ass shit. But anyway, all right, a little bit of the background into this book that talks about it. Here countdown to zero day, Kim Zetter, I highly recommend people go read the book. Shout out to Kim's Edter, friend of the show. And now let's talk a little bit more about Operation Olympic Games, which is what the code name for this was. So it was an unacknowledged campaign of sabotage by means of cyber disruption directed at Iranian nuclear facilities by the United States and Israel. Allegedly as reported, it is one of the first known uses of offensive cyber weapons. Started under the administration of George Bush in two thousand and six, The Olympic Games was accelerated under Obama, who heated Bush's advice to continue cyber attacks on the Iranian nuclear facility at Natan's. That same spot is also one of the spots that Trump Trump Trump dropped the crazy deep bunker buster. It was at this facility, this same one that we had been fucking with for the past like fifteen years or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Bush believed that the strategy was the only way to prevent in its really conventional strike on Irani and nuclear facilities. So we were trying to keep it out of going kinetic by trying to go sneaky, sneaky, you know, do a little secret squirrel shit. And now look, Iran doesn't have nukes, So it seems like the weapon or the mission was a success. In reality, y'all I did was kick the can down the road two administrations. We could argue four administrations, and now we're having the same problem, except now we are absolutely making it kinetic. The straight of horn Moves is closed every other day, and dude, I'm so fucking tired of hearing Trump do this shit where.
Speaker 1: We're about to unleash absolute havoc.
Speaker 2: The likes of which the world has never seen. Since World War Two, and then Iran's like, okay, listen, we're willing to come to the negotiation table. All right, we're gonna put the bombs down. We're gonna talk. Give it three days. The talks are not happening. We're gonna bomb the shit out of them. Okay, now we're ready to go to the talks. Okay, we're gonna put the bombs down. We're gonna talk. It's been this on repeat four months and I'm over it. Just drop the fucking bombs and let's move on with their lives. Not nukes, obviously, but yeah, we could send them back to the Stone Age.
Speaker 1: I mean. But that's the thing, though, is they're only going to put the citizens that don't want anything to do with this in harm's way. They're gonna take all the other dipshit citizens and all the people that are loyaled to them, and then they're gonna move those out of the places that they're gonna get dropped on.
Speaker 2: So they don't give a fuck about their own citizens. They just murdered thirty thousand of them in a week.
Speaker 1: And remember I'm talking about those that are loyal. I'm talking about the ones that were riding through the streets. The women that they had parading around. I don't know if you ever saw those videos, oh with the hood jobs. They were like parading for the Ayatola. Yes, and they were like in the back of the cars and they were all doing all this stuff because that'd be there they get the shit be down when they get home. They were driving too, they were trying to show they were trying to show that they were aggressive. Wow, And they had how many wrecks were there that day because they put all the women at the at that one facility place too that they were trying to like they had it surround them. You know, they've surrounded those places that they were supposedly supposed to bomb. I know you're I'm existing. I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 2: Every Every fucking curve in Tehran has black marks on it.
Speaker 1: Now, I swear it got Mmm who's hit more curves? Women? Women more than men. I think that's a mathematical certainty.
Speaker 2: But especially because these women haven't driven in years and now they're just on the.
Speaker 1: Road you've ever seen You've never seen the Middle Eastern people would drive. And it is it is the thing.
Speaker 2: It is the part that it was the rear view mirrors, like.
Speaker 1: On the hood. Yeah, they'd be rallying. Man, they the crazy stuff, and I'm like, I'm here for it. Let's go. But like, uh yeah, no.
Speaker 2: Y shouts out to the Middle Eastern truck drivers who have turned the cab of their ride into a Turkish bazaar.
Speaker 1: You're doing the most this, and you know what, I respect the hustle. I will say, I miss bazars. Oh man, they're fucking They're awesome.
Speaker 2: You've seen the trucks I'm talking about, right, Yeah, No, I have all the dangling shit. They got a whole chandelier in their shit for no reason other than because it's pimping. And it's like, you know what, Basher, you get it. You get the gaudiness. I like, you would fit in any trailer park in the South. Fuck yah anyway, well maybe not, maybe not, I don't know anyway, So moving forward here, the operation produced a sophisticated computer virus known as stucksnet, which was designed to disrupt Iran's uranium enrichment efforts. So we're not going to get into the two deep into the history here. We talked about during Bush's term, General Cartwright, who at the time was the UH the head of the United States Strategic Command, later on to become the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Basically, he was the the key component of this operation. He was like the one pushing it at that level and assigning the money to where it was supposed to go. Collaboration happened with Israel's sigant or sigent excuse me, Intelligence Service Unit eighty two hundred, and if you haven't seen, their logo looks like a green floor to leave with some wild shit coming off the sides. It's essentially Israeli NSA, but not locally like the NSA in America is trying to spy on the American population. The Iranian Iran excuse me, the Israeli unit eighty two hundred is surveilling the Israeli people and the Gozens and the Palestinians all that, but they're.
Speaker 1: Surveilling all kinds of shit around them, you know what I'm saying, like their nosy shits.
Speaker 2: Israel is the size of New Jersey. So just to be clear here, their reach is a little further than.
Speaker 1: The Jersey shore, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They got a little more sick.
Speaker 1: Shunk they actually you know what, Oh boy.
Speaker 2: That was an excellent way to plug in the snookschnuck on that one schnukchok, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeh one, what fucking the leader of issuel right now? Net and Yaho is schnook schnock. Think about it, Think about him acting the way he acting the way she did during that episode.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, I've never seen an episode.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm talking about the episode of South Park. Oh if you actually think about it, and yeah, who is jumping on people? Humping them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well he's one in his way or that's his only like he is like it is my way or the highway.
Speaker 2: Bro, that's that's a wild image. I don't thing I'm gonna be able.
Speaker 1: To get him. You're welcome, every one of you.
Speaker 2: A short fat Net and Yahoo with a giant nose with the fucking the bump on his head.
Speaker 1: But it's not a bump. It's not the snookie bump.
Speaker 2: It's the yamaka. Yeah's snow and just like humping random people and it's like.
Speaker 1: H stop it, ben. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Basically, oh my god, he's easy, like, oh man, and how many You're welcome?
Speaker 1: Now? Every one of you is going to think about this.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's probably accurate because how many of the Israeli prime ministers were on the Epstein files, so like on some very real levels, or at Robert Maxwell's funeral, so like, there is way more than a like, it's not even a gred than zero percent chance, there's probably like a fifty to fifty shot that you're actually on the money here.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Everyone that hasn't seen that episode, please go watch South Park. Also shout out to South Park. If they could sponsor us, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Trey Parker and Matt Stone really do be doing the most.
Speaker 1: You cannot you can't unsee it now and you can't. I'm stuck here now forever, all of us together are going to think of Israel es schnookchunk just in Yahoo. But I mean, why not? Why not all? Why not Jersey this sorry blumpkin, sorry fucking oh my god. And now, oh you're talking about the Israeli coast, you mean the Jersey shore. See, oh my god.
Speaker 2: If there is some sort of a guido culture in Tel Aviv, which it might be, that's that's arguably the gayest city in the world, is Tel Aviv. So there's got to be some sort of a Jersey Shore like remnant there that's like doing the fists bumping and all about the fucking gim tann laundry and shit.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy that I made this comparison.
Speaker 2: I'm very Upselty. You've made this comparison that I can't unmake there now it's out there.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Dougie the Bumpkin. I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think I've ever met somebody from Jersey that, aside from the people around the Jersey Shore area or like Hoboken or right outside of New York City though, just think that they're New Yorkers, which is an insultable whatever the rest of the state, most of them hate it.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of we have actually quite a few Jersey people. Yo. Hit us in the comments.
Speaker 2: If you're from Jersey and actually love your state.
Speaker 1: Tell us all about the Jersey genuine.
Speaker 2: All I have ever heard is aside from Jersey Shore people, because it's like New Orleans people. That's not the entire state of Louisiana, but New Orleans people think that it is. You know what I mean, Jersey Shore people think that they're speaking on behalf of to be yes. It's like Portland people, they think they're speaking on behalf of the entire beaver state, and it's like, no, no, we're.
Speaker 1: The duck state.
Speaker 2: You mean, isn't your state animal A beaver?
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter, but we are. I'm not talking about the college I am. Okay.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, because Jersey is the garden state, whether you knew that or not. And I was going to say that, like they think we're.
Speaker 1: The nursery capital of the entire garden and the nursery are a little different, right, matter, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to flex on Jersey?
Speaker 1: You're Oregon.
Speaker 2: Ya could accidentally flex.
Speaker 1: On I'm just kidding. I'm not having beef with the Jersey people.
Speaker 2: At least they can slaughter their own cattle.
Speaker 1: Look, it hasn't passed yet, Okay, I'm very upset that it might.
Speaker 3: Very not.
Speaker 1: It is not going to pass as of right now. It stands that there's one hundred and seventeen thousand votes. For those of you wondering what we're talking about, it's peace ACKed that I bitch about a lot. If you're an Oregon, vote no the peace ack. Yeah, tell everyone everyone that is listening to on the West coast, please share.
Speaker 2: If you like dairy products from your area. If you like locally raised and you know, ethically produced beef, pork, chickens.
Speaker 1: And local science, se is from anything.
Speaker 2: If you like salmon, if you like that thing that your state is so well known for.
Speaker 1: If you like your dog.
Speaker 2: And would like to possibly breed or buy a puppy from a breeder, or whatever basic things. Vote no to the Peace Act. Yeah, it's all we're saying. But anyway, Jersey Shore does not speak the on behalf of the entire garden state. But everybody from Jersey I've ever met, like they acknowledge how much it sucks, but they have like developed a taste for it, and they like they enjoy that it's shit. I don't, and I'm not saying that Jersey shit for my own self. I've passed through it. I've never spent a lot of time there. From what I've seen, it's not horrible. The people that live there, though, hate it, but like refuse to move because it's a Jersey thing. It's like a It's like okay, fine whatever, But anyway, moving forward, how he got on the fucking schnook and on net and Yahoo AGA because he is because of Unit eighty two hundred, that's where we were, Okay, I had to backtrack my own self here. Israel's involvement was important to the United States because the former had quote deep intelligence about operations at Natans that would be vital to the preemptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities. To prevent a conventional strike, Israel had to be deeply.
Speaker 1: Involved in Operation Olympic Games.
Speaker 2: The resulting program, code named Olympic Games, produced a computer virus developed by the two countries, referred to as the Bug quote unquote internally and later identified publicly as stucksnet, and it was called that by the IT community.
Speaker 1: The malicious software.
Speaker 2: Temporarily halted approximately one thousand of the five thousand centrifugions from spinning at NATANS. A programming error later caused the worm just spread to computers outside of Natans When an engineer left Naton's and connected his computer to the Internet. The American and Israeli made bug failed to recognize that its environment had changed. The code replicated on the Internet and was subsequently exposed for public dissemination. IT security excuse me. Security firms Samantec and Casper Sky Lab have since examined stucks net. It is unclear whether the United States or Israel introduced the programming error. So essentially, Homeboy left Iron went to Europe, plugged up as you normally would do, and the virus decided to just jump onto the.
Speaker 1: World Wide Web. I feel like it was just like continued if he Some said it still has I wouldnt doubt it.
Speaker 2: Some say that they haven't actually gotten a handle on it. But there's also a couple of the earlier what you might call the younger brother of stucks net that never actually got popular but still very much exists. And then there's there has been those that have come after it and used it as inspiration. So yes to all of the above. Kind of sort of early in his presidency, Obama expanded the cyber operation, authorizing its continuation even after the accidental spread beyond Iran in twenty ten. So even after this was open to the public like that, he basically was like, yeah, well I didn't hear no bell he died.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: He judged the program still effective and allowed the attack to proceed. We already talked about Eric von Saban, who allegedly allegedly infiltrated in the town's nuclear facility. He died in a motorcycle wreck in Dubai. So, anyway, the investigation. In June of twenty thirteen, it was reported that Cartwright was the target of a year long investigation by the Department of Justice into the leak of classified information about the operation to the US media. In March twenty fifteen, it was reported that the investigation had stalled amid concerns that necessary evidence for prosecution was too sensitive to reveal in court. So they knew that he was guilty, but they also knew that arraigning him and just going through discovery would also reveal things that are still in play currently. Okay, so nobody ever saw Justice quote unquote for this whatsoever. Actually, so now stucks net itself. Okay, this is from Wikipedia. We're not going to read the entire thing. It's a very, very long article, but we are basically gonna get to a couple of the points here. So stucks net specifically targets programmable logic controllers or PLCs right, which allowed the automation of electro mechanical processes such as those used to control machinery and industrial processes, including gas interfuges for separating nuclear material, exploiting four zero day flaws in the system. You see what I'm saying. Summer saying five. Some are saying four either way too much, one is crazy? Two heard of four or five? Like we're talking like this is like sixty chess.
Speaker 1: Honestly, like the overkill.
Speaker 2: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
Speaker 1: I mean, why not? You only might get one shot? So why not? Noise? That was my foot hidden?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, you might only get one shot maybe, And so you just want to make sure that there's a couple of fail safes.
Speaker 1: Because like, well, I mean you spend all that time, energy and money. Yeah, Like so if you get caught, one gets caught, it's gonna still keep going and they're gonna have to find the other three to four left. I mean, why not? Absolutely makes sense me.
Speaker 2: So stucks Net functions by targeting machines using the Microsoft Windows operating system and networks, then seeking out Siemens Step seven software. I got a little bit of training in step seven while I was working in the field. Stuck's net reportedly compromised. Iranian PLC is collecting information on industrial systems and causing the fast spinning centrifugions to tear themselves apart. Stuck That's design and architecture are not domain specific and could be tailored as a platform for attacking modern SCADA and PLC systems, i e. In factory assembly lines or power plants, most of which are in Europe, Japan, and.
Speaker 1: The United States.
Speaker 2: Stucks that reportedly destroyed almost one fifth of the Iran's nuclear centrifuges. Targeting industrial control systems, the worm infected over two hundred thousand computers and caused one thousand machines to physically degrade. That's I would call that a raging success. But again, even with that success, it just kicked the can down the road a decade or so. True, like real shit. If it worked so effectively, we wouldn't be attacking Iran right now for the nukes that they may or may not be working on, and we wouldn't have sent bunker busters to their three biggest facilities last year. Stowing it out. Stucks net has three modules. A worm that it executes all routine related or all routines rather related to the main payload of the attack. A link file that automatically executes the propagated copies of the worm, and a root kit component responsible for hiding all malicious files and processes to prevent detection of stucksnet. So we got the actual worm itself, the actual virus.
Speaker 1: If you will, the link file.
Speaker 2: This is the one that just basically replicates it and just copy and copy and copies and helps it spread like a virus. And then the rootkit, which is essentially the cover that was the thing that recorded the regular operating procedures to where the computer system showed, Oh it's rated for a thousand RPMs. It's running a thousand RPMs.
Speaker 1: Perfect, look at it go. In reality, their.
Speaker 2: Shit was just tearing itself apart just a few you know. Wow, I don't know how close the control room is to the facility, to the components themselves, but yeah, I'm just saying, unless you had eyes on.
Speaker 1: The machine, you wouldn't have known what was going on.
Speaker 2: But continuing here, in the absence of either criteria, I'm sorry I jumped ahead here. It is typically introduced to the target environment via an infected USB flash drive, thus crossing any air gap. Now what an air gap is, and you're gonna hear that term brought up a couple of times. It's basically like the thing that would prevent something bad from happening, right, Like, for instance, with stucksnet, you can't like send an email and have it open, and that would immediately start the infection on this right. You can't wi fi it over, you can't bluetooth it over. So the fact that it has to physically be installed is an air gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they found a guy who was willing to bridge that gap, if you will, and he died two weeks later. The worm then propagates across the network, scanning for semens step seven software on computers controlling a PLC and the absence of either and stucks net becomes dormant inside the computer. So if it got there and didn't see what it was looking for, it just stays there until one day somebody hooks it up to what.
Speaker 1: It's looking for, and then it starts.
Speaker 2: If both the conditions are fulfilled, stucksnet introduces the infected root key into the PLC in step seven software, modifying the code and giving unexpected commands to the PLC while we're turning a loop of normal operation system values back to the user. Long story short, the computer is showing a thousand RPMs. The machine's supposed to be going that way, and it's showing that across all boards. Meanwhile, everything is going horribly wrong just a few feet away. So let's talk about how it was discovered. It was discovered by Sergei Alasin from a Belarusian antivirus company called virus block. Ata initially spread via Microsoft Windows and targeted Siemens industrial control systems. While it is not the first time that hackers have targeted industrial systems nor the first public known intentional act of cyber warfare to the to be implemented, it is the first discovered malware that spies on and subverts industrial systems and the first to include a PLC root kit. So the warm initially spreads indiscriminately, but includes a highly specialized malware payload that is designed to target only Semens Supervisory Control and Data Acquisitions, which is the SCADA system. So basically, unless you were running a Semens on this, it wasn't going to do anything to you, which is kind of crazy that it was that it was. It was that specific, yeah, but intelligently designed like this was this was so.
Speaker 1: Strategic and they thought of everything they had to.
Speaker 2: They really did, they absolutely did. So anyway, continuing on, I just want to give a couple of the timelines on what was going on with this, with the discovery and things. So in May twenty eleven, the PBS program Need to Know cited a statement by Gary Seymour, which is the White House coordinator for Arms Control and Weapons of Mass Destruction, in which he said, quote, We're glad that they, the Iranians, are having trouble with their centrifuseed machines and that we are doing everything we can do to make sure that we complicate matters for them.
Speaker 1: Okad.
Speaker 2: That was in twenty eleven, before all this was like known. We're just like, well, we're happy they're having problems, and we are doing everything we can to.
Speaker 1: Make sure they keep having problems. Continuing on here.
Speaker 2: According to The Daily Telegraph, a show reel was played at a retirement party for the head of the IDF, Gabby Ashkanazi. His last name is Ashkanazi. Wow, that's okay, including references to stucksnet as one of his operational successes as the IDF Chief of Staff. So twenty eleven, this was understood in certain circles that this was going. On June one, twenty twelve, an article in The New York Times reported that stucks net was part of a US Israeli intelligence operation named Operational Olympic Games, devised by the NSA under Bush and executed under Obama. July twenty fourth, twenty twelve, an article by a reporter for c NEET reported that the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran emailed f secured chief research officer Miko Kiponen sure to report a new instance of malware. Christmas Day, twenty twelve, an Iranian semi official news agency announced there was a cyber attack by stuxnet, this time on the industries in the southern area of the country. The malware targeted a power plant and some of the other industries in the hormosgen province in twenty twelve. According to Eugene casper Sky, who was the security casper Sky Security Internet, the worm also infected a nuclear power plant in Russia. Casper Sky noted, however, that since the power plant is not connected to the public Internet, the system should remain safe. Okay, that was yeah anyway, anyway, So we're not going to go into the entire history of it. We kind of covered the good parts, I would think, but I do think it's also worth mentioning this so. Casper Sky Lab experts initially estimated that stucksnt began spreading around March or April of twenty ten, but the first variant of the worm appeared in June two thousand and nine. On July fifteenth, twenty ten, the day of the worm's existence became widely known, a distributed denial of service attack targeted the servers of two leading mailing lists on industrial system security. This attack, from an unknown source but possibly related to stucks net, disabled one of the lists, interrupting a key information source for power plants and factories. Separately, researchers at Semtech uncovered a version of stuxnet computer virus that was used to attack Iran's nuclear program in November of two thousand and seven, with evidence indicating it was under development as early as two thousand and five, when Iran was setting up its uranium enrichment facilities. A second variant with substantial improvements appeared in March twenty ten, reportedly due to concerns that stucksnt was not spreading fast enough. This is when Obama took.
Speaker 1: Over and threw gas on the fire, so to speak.
Speaker 2: A third variant with minor improvements followed in April of twenty ten. The worm contains a component with a build time stamp from the third of February twenty ten, and on November twenty fifth, twenty ten, sky News in the United Kingdom reported receiving information from an anonymous source that an unidentified IT security organization claiming that stucks net or a variation of the worm had been traded on the black market. So now we're talking stucks net was basically being open air traded on the dark web, so to speak. In twenty fifteen, Casper sky Lab reported that the Equation Group had used two of the same zero day attacks prior to their use in Stucksnet, in another malware called fanny dot BPM. Now you might be asking what is the Equation Group?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so glad that you asked.
Speaker 2: The Equation Group is a highly sophisticated state sponsored cyber espionage threat actor active since at least two thousand and one, widely believed to be linked to the United States National Security Agency or the NSA, specifically, It's tailored Access Operations Unit. The group is considered one of the most advanced cyber attack operations ever discovered.
Speaker 1: So things would be.
Speaker 2: Like one of these hacker groups that work for the government another one that we're gonna hear a lot from which both of them were working in this are called the Shadow Brokers. The Shadow Brokers are a hacker group that emerged in the mid In mid twenty sixteen, they published several weeks containing hacking tools in including several zero day exploits from the Equation Group, who are widely expected to be a branch of the NSA of the United States. Specifically, these exploits are vulnerabilities targeted enterprise firewalls, antivirus software, and Microsoft products. The Shadow Brokers originally attributed the leaks to the Equation Group threat Actor, who have been tied to the NSA Tailored Access Operations Unit. All of this, by the way, was discussed in the WikiLeaks, So just so we're all clear here, it's sitting like some crazy off the wall thing anyway. Twenty nineteen, the Chronicle researchers Juan Andreas Guerrero Sayid and Silas cut Jesus, you got four names on one and two on the other. Okay, presented findings indicating that at least four distinct threat actor malware platforms collaborated in developing the different versions of Stucksnet. The collaboration was referred to as A or as gossip Girl, a name derived from a threat group mentioned in classified CSEC slides that included Flame.
Speaker 1: Gossip Girl.
Speaker 2: UH is described as a cooperative umbrella encompassing the Equation Group, Flame Doku, and flower Shop, also known as Chess Sire cat.
Speaker 1: Cairly a girl named this.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but basically these groups, the Equation Group, Flame Doku, and flower Shop, all of these are essentially state sanctioned hacker groups. So interesting if you're ever curious about if our government or are if our tax dollars are going towards hacking us. Yes, because all these are under the NSA.
Speaker 1: I wonder if all the people that work there are going to be able to be sanctioned into cyber force. Like maybe he just moves them over and it's like here you go. You guys, are you're a general now you.
Speaker 2: Used to work for the NSA, Now you're a sergeant. It's like I'm a what, yeah, I get to work chop shop.
Speaker 1: Let's go. What have you like? Made them all top ranking people and was like, all right, here you go, here you go.
Speaker 2: Is it crazy that I just want to be like a supply sergeant for the Space Force.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I actually just had this conversation this morning or this afternoon with my skatest fucking joke. You're talking about like military branches and all of this stuff, and I was like, look, if you're gonna do anything Space Force as your friend, yes, I was like twenty I was like two thy two hundred members only I was like, you're gonna you're gonna live a life of luxury. Okay, God, like maybe you get to play war games too, So I.
Speaker 2: Know one's gonna fuck with you because no one knows how to like, yeah, they're gonna make fun of you for being Space Force.
Speaker 1: But he's like super okay. He is really tech savvy like my mom is, and like I'm like this is this is gonna be your gam You're super into space, you're super into like alien crap, and you're super into sci fi and cyber stuff and computers and all of this. I was like melded into one. I don't want him to join the military at all, but if I if he decides to, like that's what we just called to do. I'mlike, space Force is your friend.
Speaker 2: Obviously, maybe cyber Force. Maybe we'll see if that becomes a thing. Maybe anyway, So in twenty twenty, researcher Fecundo Munos probably butchered it presented finding suggesting that Equation Group may have collaborated with stucksnet developers in two thousand and nine by providing at least one zero day exploit and one exploit from two thousand and eight that was actively used by the Configer, computer Worm and Chinese hackers. We could do a whole other episode on Conficker if y'all want, But anyway, in twenty seventeen, a group of hackers known as the Shadow Brokers leaked a collection of tools attributed to the Equation Group. We just read about that, including new versions of both exploits compiled in twenty ten. Analysis of the leak data indicated significant code overlaps, as both stucksnet exploits and the Equation Group's exploits were developed using a set of libraries called the xploit development framework. This was also leaked by the Shadow Brokers, so clearly they were in the same ballpark, probably the same office.
Speaker 1: To be honest.
Speaker 2: Now I want to talk about the affected countries of stucks net because it went a little further than anticipated. So Iran was if we're looking at a one hundred percent piece of the pie, Iran was fifty eight point nine percent of that pie. Was where stucks net got busy. Indonesia eighteen point two percent, India eight point three percent, azer by John two point six percent, the United States we developed it and ended up getting fucked by it one point six percent, Pakistan one point three percent, and other countries nine point two So just in total here, but primarily Iran. Obviously that was the entire purpose of it being launched. But when Old Boy left and plugged up his computer that happened to have stucks net on it. But it was laying dormant because it saw no systems that it could affect. As soon as I got onto the Internet, it found ways to perform its function, if you will, And yeah, it was. It was a whole whole situation. And I'm not going to get into all the nitty gritty here, but on screen you can see Windows was affected by it. Step seven software PLC infection. These these are the PLCs that I was talking about that. I used to work on install program all of the things, and it was specifically looking for these, which is crazy in and of itself. Now there is a way to remove it. Semens has released a detection and removal tool for stucks neet. Semens recommends contacting customer support if an infection is detected, and advises installing Microsoft updates for security vulnerabilities and prohibiting the use of third party USB flash drives.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much Bill Gates made off of this? Oh right, Oh come on, man, you know damn good and well he got a portion of this pie.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that I can now just start releasing up dates and now all these big manufacturing facilities have to purchase it.
Speaker 1: When did he meet? The whole thing about like Apple computers can't get viruses.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever heard that. I'm pretty confident they can.
Speaker 1: You never heard that, Like, I don't even know if it's actually real or not, but.
Speaker 2: You never heard there's a way. You know, we can, we can make this thing crash out if we wanted to.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. Yeah, you can.
Speaker 2: Your and iPhone can get viruses.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because like that's I remember that being like a whole thing of like it can't get viruses. Yes, they can get viruses, but yeah, no, like I remember that was like a whole thing. I remember a talking point people talk about like you know, they can't get any viruses, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Was that just a sales picture? Was that actually based in reality?
Speaker 1: I don't know actually, but yeah, they have built in protections, the deeper, the X, the X Protector, the new Max have them all where families as well. But I was just curious because if we're talking about them utilizing his stuff, yeah, you know, and then what he was he part of this, like could be able to use that to help protect his stuff later on.
Speaker 2: So to my knowledge, no, and with the research I've done, Microsoft I don't believe was complicit in this. But I do think that their program is and I don't want to say simple to make it seem like, oh anybody could figure it. No, no, no, But as far as like computer software is concerned, Microsoft is relatively simple.
Speaker 1: It's made for you know, ease of user.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so, I mean it's it's not too terribly crazy to get a virus in there that could tear it apart. But yeah, he absolutely made some money on the back end of trying to fix the problem. Guarantee that where there's where there is catastrophe, there.
Speaker 1: Is money to be made.
Speaker 2: That is a fact. So anyway around was targeted. We talked about the naton's nuclear facility. Israel also had their own shake on this. The United States had some issues with it, the joint effort and other states and targets North Korea. It was actually there was an attempt to send it to North Korea, according to reports by Reuters. The NSA also tried to sabotage North Korea's nuclear program using a version of stucksnet. The operation was reportedly launched in tandem with the attack that targeted Iranian centrifusions in two thousand and nine twenty ten. But there's a problem. There's a big problem with the North Korean side of it. The nuclear program shares a number of similarities with Iranians, both having been developed with the technology transferred from Pakistani nuclear scientist Aq Khan. But the problem is the effort failed because North Korea's extreme secrecy and isolation made it impossible to introduce stucksnet into the nuclear facility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you'd have to get somebody on the deep inside, Like Eric.
Speaker 2: Can't walk up into North Korea and act like he's an average Joe over there.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how you'd really, Like, you'd have to do so much to try to even get it into the country, let alone somebody that would willingly risk knowing that they're going to die, Like basically, they.
Speaker 2: Just know they're going to die, they wouldn't. Hell, if you leave the country, your grandchildren are going to be serving a life of hard labor for you, Like that's how they do it. Like your cousins people and your family you've never met are going to be serving life of hard labor because you escaped. Let's go ahead and fuck up their whole nuclear program. Like no, they'll wipe off your entire bloodline from the map.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I just thought it was worth mentioning North Korea also had their share on this one. But anyway, there is in fact a secret twin. But I don't want to jump ahead just yet. I do want to talk about this so right now I have on warfronts.
Speaker 1: It's a Simon Whistler show. Y'all know I'm a fan of his content.
Speaker 2: And this is also going to be talking a little more in depth about the other side of stucks neet. Let's learn together.
Speaker 4: The significance of the Starksnet attacks were unprecedented. This was the first time a nation state have been able to remotely destroy the infrastructure of another nation state through digital means. The genie was out of the bottle, or at least it was for the public. Starks Net wasn't simply the first cyber weapon created by world powers. It was the most successful by far that is publicly known, but it's not the first. And the more you delve into the true origins of Starksnet, the stranger things become. To really understand where it came from, we need to go back further than you could possibly imagine. Five years after its discovery, in twenty fifteen, it was found that there were links in Stocksnet's code that relate to a mysterious hacker organization known as the Equation Group. It was on earth by the Kaspersky Lab, one of the foremost global organizations on cybersecurity, noticing several distinct similarities between the code in various other viruses such as fanny Flame and flower Shop, as well as Starksnet. For example, prior to Starksnet, two of the four zer Roodee exploits that it used were discovered in other malware that predates Starksnet's existence, meaning at the very least those who created starks Net and the Equation Group collaborated on their work or there was overlap in personnel. The Equation Group's oldest code goes back to two thousand and one, but according to the Kaspersky Lab, they could have been in operation as early as nineteen ninety six. The Equation Group have targeted a geopolitical level infrastructure all over the world, from governments and diplomatic institutions, to aerospace and energy groups, to nuclear research and nanotechnology. Only a group with incredible technical prowess, the funding to develop such malware, and the intelligence to deploy it all over the globe would be able to do what the Equation Group had done. The Kasperski Lab seems to think so, too, describing them as the most advanced hackers they've ever seen due to having self destruct features another similarity to starksnets in their code. It's difficult to ascertain the real numbers affected by the group. While only five hundred malware infections could be found, the real number could be in the tens of thousands, and nobody has any idea they existed for at least a decade and a half. Due to all the similarities to starks NEETs, alongside the technical prowess of their work, the Equation Group is assumed to be heavily linked to the Tailored Access Operations unit of the NSSA. The NSA code words straight Acid and straight Shooter have been found in the Equation Group's code. A former NSA employee told Reuters that Kasperski's analysis was correct and that people still in the intelligence agency valued these spying programs as highly as starksnet. Another former intelligence operative stated that the NSA had developed the ability to conceal spyware in hard drives, but said he did not know which spy efforts relied on it. It would be confirmed by Edward Snowden's whistleblowing in twenty thirteen that the NSSA did have domestic and international spying operations ongoing. In twenty seventeen, a group of hackers called the Shadow Brokers stole data belonging to the Equation Group, the most recent of which was from twenty thirteen. This would align with the nssa's information lockdown. Since Snowden's leaks, it appears that starksnet was not the only cyber weapon being developed by the USA, which begs the question, what else don't we know?
Speaker 1: Agreed one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So all right, so now we understand that sucks net had its roots way earlier. Back he's talking about possibly in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nineteen ninety six, I think you.
Speaker 2: Said ninety six or ninety seven.
Speaker 1: One of these.
Speaker 2: It's like the hacker groups themselves who are installing this malware, installing these worms for the specific function that's kind of been around for a little minute, but never had it been done to the tune of making a computer system fuck up actual physical hardware. So it's just it's mind blowing the levels that they went to make this work in the manner that they did. And now let's talk about one of these that might pre date stucks net Fast sixteen. And if you've never heard of that, don't worry. I had never heard of it before I started doing this research. Pre stucks net sabotage tool was built to subvert nuclear weapons simulations. Yeah, so all right, let's talk about this. This is a new analysis confirms the targeted applications and reveals Fast sixteen was tailored to corrupt uranium compression simulations central to nuclear weapons design. So the Fast sixteen's hook engine is selectively interested in high explosive simulations inside ls.
Speaker 1: DINA and autodyne.
Speaker 2: All evidences suggest that attackers were specifically targeted simulations of nuclear detonations. The malware checks for the density of the material being simulated and only acts when that value passes thirty grams per centimeter square or cubed per cubic gram cubic gram centimeter.
Speaker 1: Don't get me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I understand it's a density thing. I understand that, but like I've actually I don't think I've ever seen a metric version of that gram per cubic centimeter. But like we usually say like pound per square inch, you know what I mean, Like I understand, sorry for everybody who doesn't speak freedom units. I just I don't think I've ever actually read that out loud, like a metric like that. Anyway, The threshold uranium can only reach under the shock of compression of an implosion device, So I didn't know that when uranium reaches that level, it's obviously that it's exploding thirty grams per cubic centimeter. That's interesting, okay. Up to ten distinct software builds carried Taylor hooks, suggesting a sustained operation that tracks target organization software updates over years. The tampering only activates during full scale transient blast and detonation runs, and fast sixteen propagates within a target network using share enumeration and impersonation, but is built not to leave that network, so it wouldn't be one of these things where as soon as it gets to the Internet it just multiplies like crazy, just gets there and stays there kind of thing. So overview. In April of six twenty six, our peers in The Sentinel One published the first public analysis of fast sixteen, a previously undiscovered sabotage framework whose oldest components appear to date from around two thousand and five, approximately two years before Stuck's Net first became active, but learning what we learned about earlier, it was being developed at the same time. Right two thousand and five, they were absolutely working on Stuck's Net, but this was also being worked on probably I would say by the same groups in the same offices from the same payer, honestly.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: So the framework consists of several or service binary that embeds an early LUA five point zero virtual machine, a boot start file system driver that intercepts and patches executable code as it is read from a disc, and a rule driven hook engine that rewrites rewrites very specific instruction sequences inside a single narrowly defined targeted application. Now, I know I'm just throwing out a lot of big words here, but essentially it intercepts and it's for watching, right, It's it intercepts and reads a thing and then sends it forward. But like now you get to see what's happening, and you might be able to alter what is said. It's for the purpose of sabotage, not for the purpose of spying.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense now?
Speaker 2: Confirming the target application down here, they even show like a bit of the code and I'm not even reading it, but it says below is an example of rules forty six and forty seven, which capture and overwrite a very specific x eighty seven floating point sequence which I'm not going to read this because it doesn't make sense in English, but the computer speaks that language if you understand what I'm saying. The patterns, the patterns of the rules match against do not match against every Intel four train compiled Single Precision Explicit Dynamic SOLVAD of that era, but are found in versions of ls DINA and AutoDim. These patterns are specific to different versions of the software, and some could belong to other simulation programs as well. Anyway, long story short, it came in two different mechanisms, Mechanism A and Mechanism B. Long story short, it did the things that it needed to do. Mechanism A took the data, mechanism be altered the data, so to speak. And I'm oversimplifying this, and then mechanism see scent it.
Speaker 1: Continuing on here. It was strictly for.
Speaker 2: The nuclear detonation simulation, but all this ties into Iran the year's lineup. What was being done for the principle of sabotaging Iran's nuclear capabilities in this timeframe lineup. I would argue that fast sixteen was being developed around the same time, if not literally, in tandem with Stucksnet, but it's no one knew about it until now. Like we only just really quote unquote discovered it a few months ago. Interesting, So looking at all these things, we have been trying to keep nukes out of Iran's hands for years actually, I would say two decades. And although operational Olympic Games was a success, it didn't exactly stop anything.
Speaker 1: Was it that successful though, Like realistically, if we're talking about five thousand and it took out one thousand, like if it was like twenty five hundred, I'd feel like that is a solid success. Now I will say it's a success because it was the first cyber attack that was able to actually execute, continue to run for several years without being able to be found and stop. So technically that is a success I meant in the sense of how many they were able to shut off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it wasn't like an overwhelming victory for the United States or Israel.
Speaker 1: Mean, but it did put it back more so that's a positive. But now we're in this situation, it's like, yeah, yeah, Tebaud, they couldn't put like a little tiny bomb that like when detonated, but then it just like fries everything, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting you say that because Israel did that with the pagers. You remember that.
Speaker 1: I don't actually.
Speaker 2: Last year or two years ago, the pagers that blew up in everybody's pockets.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be honest with you, I didn't actually hear about that.
Speaker 2: Oh hold on, raven Lee, hold on, no here. So the Moussad decided that they wanted to target only Hesbelah members and affiliates of and so how could we do this? Somehow, some way Hesbla thought that pagers were untraceable. Oh and for the record, we're not talking about back in the nineties when pages were still being used. I mean up until like last year or the year before. Actually, yeah, the year before last. They were carrying around pagers because they thought that nobody could trace this. What they didn't know is that these pages were built from the Israeli government and inside the battery was explosives.
Speaker 1: That's smart.
Speaker 2: So for three years they had these pager systems that were sent out to these people, all the way to the president or the Prime Minister of Iran. There's a picture of him sitting at a table at giving a press conference. There's a pager on a table next to them. Nobody uses pagers, so you know where that came from and essentially they were gathering data on these dudes, locations, numbers, they were using it like a phone and texting certain messages. They gotten biometrics off of it, all these things, and when the time came they decided to pull the trigger. Only has a lot of people were killed, three thousand of them. It was tiny. It's like the pages all that big. Yeah, and there's all kinds of videos. For years they were just collecting data and then finally they're like, you know what, fuck them, just fuck them. And there's videos of like this dude was at a store and like was shopping and you see something in his pocket just by oh, and he goes down and it's like oh shit. And they were like yeah, they were waiting on it. Come to find out, the pagers were made from two different companies. One of them was based in Asia, one of them was based in Europe. Like the battery was made here, the pagers made here, both of which were owned by Israel. It was top tier level espionage and spy where it was phenomenal. But my point is this was like a kinetic attack that took years of doing all the things, all the stuff, and it was too Iran. This was a cyber attack to their nuclear capabilities, which, like you're.
Speaker 1: Saying, like the Pager situation, I would say was a.
Speaker 2: Overwhelming victory for Israel, like just by the math, top to bottom, excellent execution, overwhelming success, no collateral damage that I know anyway, No civilian was injured as a result of or anything like that. So like top tier, top tiers things they went on there Mussad. Now that being said, when it came to this, yeah, only a fifth of the centrifugles were actually shut down, and that did postpone it because then they had to start the process of because they didn't immediately know like oh man, a fifth umber down and then like two days later it was Israel on the Americans, like it took them forever to figure out, like Okay, did we build something wrong? Did our computers get programmed?
Speaker 1: Is this is it? It's only that old boy that released it is what got them caught because other companies, I don't think he was killed.
Speaker 2: I think he was killed by US or Mussad could tie up a loose in oh yeah, yeah, they they didn't even understand that he was the guy that.
Speaker 1: Did it until years later.
Speaker 2: So only after it hit the internet in like twenty twelve time frame did we actually be like, Okay, are bad?
Speaker 1: Am I bad? The thing the thing that may or may not have done unbroken necks just happened to be on the road.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I'm talking about the virus. The virus, think about Eric whatever accents every day people, I.
Speaker 1: Thought you switched to Eric, and I was like, what about Eric? No, no, I think I think Eric was the virus. I mean, they're not going to be like, they're not going to admit fully to that. They're just gonna be like, was it.
Speaker 2: Or was this one of those hacker groups like Q Yeah it was Israel. You see what I'm saying, it's it's crazy. And then the fact that a Russian power plant also had issues with it, Indonesia, Pakistan, all these places where it's like, Okay, the thing that we may or may not have done, which I'm not saying we did, are bad, but also probably wasn't even us.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: I don't even know where I was that day that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: What was right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? Noes?
Speaker 2: And then Siemens was able to like, Okay, we can fix this if you find something that you think is being crazy and you think it stuck's net, call customer support and we can like tell you how to program it to box that out, or we can send you a new component that doesn't have that ability. So like, either way it goes. It's handled now allegedly. But for the time frame that it was in and for the level of cyber warfare that this was actually able to complete, yeah, I would say that it was a success. Maybe not an overwhelming victory, but I would at least put it as a lowercase W.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, all did was kicked the can down the road a couple of decades, and Iran, as soon as they figured it out and got their centrifugals back up and running, started to refine it.
Speaker 1: Even more, which is why we bombed.
Speaker 2: The fuck out of them last year, which is why we are.
Speaker 1: Currently bombing the fuck out of them.
Speaker 2: So Operation Olympic Games. Small victory, overwhelming though grand scheme of shit, not a victory, not at all. And it was brought up again by wiki leaks and by Edward Snowden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find that to be really interesting.
Speaker 2: Who is still in Russia in hiding right now? Like he'll give interviews. He'll go on like a zoom call with people to like talk about things, but he.
Speaker 1: Knows how do we reach him? Dude? If Snowden would come on the show, my god, oh my god, that would be phenomena.
Speaker 2: But no, snow White is uh he's living low in Moscow right now. Actually, I'm not sure if he's in Moscow anymore. I think he was. He defected because he knew that they would find him and killed.
Speaker 1: We happened to know somebody that spent twenty plus years there.
Speaker 2: Maybe, dude, do you think the Good Doctor would put us in I don't know if they like ran in similar circles, but maybe.
Speaker 1: Maybe the Doctor knows she knew a lot of people. She knows a lot of people that.
Speaker 2: Would be fucking wild, which I can't wait to get her back on the show with the other survivors.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna be a play. Yeah, it's gonna be great. Everyone's gonna have to listen to that episode and share out because it's gonna be It's gonna be multiple survivors, altar programming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the sex magic and all the rings that rolled in and the human trafficking is gonna be wild.
Speaker 1: But it's gonna be a wild time. But yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, when this with this conversation with the Stuck's net and the operational Olympic Games, I would say that this is highly conspiratorial and in the grand scheme of shit didn't actually equate too much like all the time, lass, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like it actually is the reason why cyber warfare is like the true enemy. I think they they that we played our hand and we played it effectively in a sense, at least in one part of it. That this kick started cyber warfare for everybody. Yeah, like look at what you guys said, and we're able to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is crazy that it's like it's kinetic cyber warfare. I think it's physical, but it's also being done cyberly, and it's like, huh.
Speaker 1: I think that this was the door that opened for everything else that has now led us to hear Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would have to agree, honestly, which is why the hacker space is so terrifying to me.
Speaker 1: It is they can do so much.
Speaker 2: And knowing that they can create a program like this and yes it took some doing four or five zero days and all these things like yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: But that's not impossible. It can be done, especially by a small group of.
Speaker 2: Highly motivated, highly trained individuals that know exactly what to do, which is why I think they're trying to create cyber Force specifically for this. Hell, you could we could probably argue that Stucksnet might be the origin arc. It is of what we would now call the beginnings of the cyber Force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent believe that. But also it makes me think of oh, damn, I can see them in mind, the bugs, the Starship Trooper, No, the program, the thing that we talked about, the whole They had to play the games to see how far they could advance, and then it all of a sudden disappeared.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, you're talking about Cicada.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, I can see him in my mind, and I can see the name. But I was like, damn, I cannot think of what it is. That was a fun episode, it was, But I was sitting here while you're talking about this, I was like, what if these were the Cicada people. Wasn't that before or during that time? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows, this might have been. This might have been what Cicicada was about to try to find people that career work for them to create stucks net and other variants of it. And that's the thing. This is just what we know about. There is way more out there stucks nets and the fast sixteens and whatever else, things that you've never.
Speaker 1: Fucking heard of that are waiting right now. They're laying in wait. Okay, it was a takeout part, so it wasn't. It wasn't. It was afterwards though, Well you're it was twenty twelve to twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: So when this allegedly got shut down, Cicada started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ooh, spicy, Spicy just saying, man, I have to agree with you.
Speaker 2: There is I'm not saying it's confirmed. I'm saying there's a real, real think I think of Cicada every day.
Speaker 1: I think it Cickada all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. Like so men think about either World War two or Rome at least once a day, think you think of Cicada at least Cada a.
Speaker 1: Lot, because it like it bothers me, Like it bothers me because I'm like, there's not they don't just do this. And well, I guess maybe because the show that I watched a year or two ago and I'll have to have you watch this show. It's basically Cicada. It literally it is on It's on Netflix. I'm gonna have to really find it because I can't think of the name. But long story short, when you talked about that show or that that whole situation, all I could think about was this show and how it actually pertains to So may the conspiracies of our world are actually in this show? And they explain it with basically aliens. I'm gonna sum it up. I'm not gonna give it away, and I'm not gonna talk like tell everything spoiler alert no, but like it's it's not gonna spoil it. But that for some reason it bothers me because I'm like, you know, this is just it makes sense to me, Like obviously they were having trouble finding this and they were struggling. Why not host a game basically to get the job interview. Yeah, get the highest hackers you can to figure this out. What if it was running rampant? What if it was still running rampant to the point where they couldn't shut it down and the people that built it couldn't stop it, so they had to find more people that were more advanced.
Speaker 2: The Equation Group and the Shadow Brokers are the ones that were actually making the Cicada game. And if you were smart enough and had the technical know how and could think outside.
Speaker 1: The box, yeah, there are enough ways, and.
Speaker 2: You got to the end, you got to knock on the door essentially, because if you've got to that level, they knew where you live.
Speaker 1: Dude, they know everything. They knew everything's allot the NSA.
Speaker 2: They're spying on us right as we're recording this a little let me say the green dot. Yeah, the green dot is on my computer. They're watching me right now, like being honest here, so like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for what it is, how are you not? Really? I was gonna send up before.
Speaker 2: Perfect timing, But to say that Stuck's Net or with these other things were possibly the predecessors for the Cicada game and that the Shadow Brokers were the ones behind it the entire time, Why the fuck not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I trust me. I think about it all the time and what it could be attached to. Like, you don't understand how much I think about this because I think about Peter Thiel all the programs that he is involved in, and then I think about all the stuff that I read with Epstein and like all the scientists and all the it wasn't because it wasn't just scientists, so he was super deep into all the computer stuff, all the hacking, the biohacking, all this stuff that like intermixed with transhumanism, all of this stuff. I'm like, the more I think about it, the more I'm like, there's something about that in particular, and the imagery and the way that it was listed out. And then I'm not gonna just got Brant and rave, but I will say that I think about it quite often because I'm like, it really if you think about it and you break it down, it's like it's the It's like it's the oracle for the matrix. That's what it reminds me of. It reminds me of the oracle.
Speaker 2: And also, keep in mind, Stucksnid had to be physically implanted into that system. I would wager if I was a betting man, which I'll know I don't do because I'm so notoriously bad at it when money's on the line, But if I was a betting man, I would wager that they've gotten more sophisticated with it. Oh yeah, And they don't have to have it plugged in via USB drive anymore. I would argue they could probably send it wirelessly because everything is wireless these days, everything is Bluetooth adaptable, Everything is smart these days, which even to that point in industry, I can't tell you how many times I would walk up to a device and my phone would give me a ping like do I want to connect to.
Speaker 1: Bluetooth to this pressure transmitter? And I'm like, for what?
Speaker 2: But siemens started being Bluetooth applicable to where you could bring a device into the field and link to it Bluetooth wise and make calibrations and do whatever else. Yeah, So if it's got that capability, it's got to be hackable. And we know that they can run programming to hack anything on their phones. So it's like, I trust me.
Speaker 1: The more I think about it, the more I'm like, I'm convinced it's the Oracle group.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, I have to agree. I have to agree. And so you know what, good cult members, we want to hear what you think about this? What do you think about stucksnet and this underground society of hackers that work for the United States government under the auspices of the n essay to create kinetic cyber warfare, and do you think it's still going on today? What companies do you think are involved with this? What groups do you think are involved with this? What do you think Biden did with this? What do you think Trump has done with this currently with the Iran situation? But before we wrap up.
Speaker 1: We do need to give the shameless plugs.
Speaker 2: If you want to get your own Bigfoot Breath, go check out Flavors Ofthforest dot com Linklin show notes below and get your own today. This is the spicy Bigfoot breadth that's my favorite, to be honest with you. They have a regular variety of lines, main variety, Horse, Radish, Ginger.
Speaker 1: They've got a bunch.
Speaker 2: If you like garlic and you love a little garlic dousing on your food, you're gonna love Bigfoot Breath. I genuinely use this product NonStop.
Speaker 1: It's the best.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend it. Use the promo code cult at checkout Cult for fifteen percent off your order. All orders over thirty dollars are free shipping to your door within the continental US. We also have a deal going on with plunder World right now. Our homie has released his third series of cards. If you want to get your cards right now, which are above Ravenle's head, She's got a couple of them on display right now. They are phenomenal, great information, great artwork, all done by him, no ais being used whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Go check it out.
Speaker 2: Go check them out on Instagram. Use the promo code Cult at checkout, and you get three free packs, which is phenomenal in and of itself. The man puts smart and sell into them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you'll get likely you'll get at least one, if not more, of the specially rare cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which the rare cards are also pretty fucking dope, to be honest with you, not just the quality of the product itself, but the information that is being shared on the cards. Fucking top tier. Love plunder World. Go check them out, go support them. But Cult members, we want to hear what you think about this conversation about Stuck's Net, and the best place to let us know would be too Please hit the five stars, hit the Shares of Life, subscribes comments, sleeve a POSTU review, and shares with their friends and family. Shares us everywhere. Here's the deal. The more activity the algorithm sees across all of our listening platforms. The more we get promoted more potential listeners who could then become potential cult members. Are there to you, Fine ladies and gentlemen, Why are you ready to go check out metimistics Jonathan Show and getting the same lever respect over there with the five star reviews and the positivity in the comments.
Speaker 1: Come check out the Cajun Night.
Speaker 2: Come join each of us for our individual Patreon lives we host every Wednesday night, nine pm Central.
Speaker 1: Links to those are in the show notes below.
Speaker 2: As well, and we thank you for everybody's already gone done so. With all of this being said, this was another beautiful episode of the Cult of Conspiracy and I am the Cage to Night. And there's one very important, sting, final piece of information needs learn just as soon as humanly possible, that