Speaker 1: Carry it, hey capital, my dear Watson, let us return to our humble a bone two to one be Baker Street, Kevin.
Speaker 2: From London. We present Shoscombe Old Place by Sir Arthur Kenan Doyle, adapted for radio by Michael Hardwick, with Carton Hobbs as Shellock Holmes and Norman Shelley as doctor Watson.
Speaker 1: You know something of racing, don't you, Watson?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 1: Or do I pay for over about half the wool pitrool?
Speaker 4: Then I'll make you my handy guide to the third. Does the name Sir Robert Norburton recall anything actiously? He lives a shostom Old Place. My summer quarters were down there one then, But you know Norberton Nelly came within your province once.
Speaker 1: Oh how is that?
Speaker 4: It was Whinny Horseman, Sam Brow Curtain Street money lender on New Morgan.
Speaker 1: He he killed him. He sounds interesting because he often indulged in that way.
Speaker 4: He has the name of being a dangerous man, one of those fellows who overshot that true generation. He should have been a Regency buck, a great eye for the ladies, boxer athlete and about the most dead evil rider.
Speaker 1: In the country. Came second in the Grand National a few years back.
Speaker 4: They say that what he's lost on the turf has got himself far down Queer Street.
Speaker 1: Did you may never find his way back again?
Speaker 4: Capital Watson an admirable thumb nail sketch. Now can you give me some idea of susk place? Well, only this is in the middle of Shoskhmbe Park in Berkshire. The Fostan started in training quarters of that, and.
Speaker 1: The head trainer is John Mason the England's surprise, My dear Watson, he was due, yes, some minutes ago. But do let us have some more about suscan I seem to have struck a rich maid. Well of the Shastan stammals you hear of him whatever he does.
Speaker 4: They're the special pride of the lady of foscom Old place for Robert Norburton's wife. Oh no, no, he's never married. Just as well as think considering his prospect. He lives with his widow's sister, Lady bertru Spoulder. Matter of fact, the place belonged to her late husband Norburton has no.
Speaker 1: Claim on it at all. When she dies, it reverts to her husband's brother, so she only has a life interest in. That's right.
Speaker 4: She draws the rents and Norburton spends them.
Speaker 5: Still i've heard she's a verted to him.
Speaker 1: But what's the miss austen Home. Ah, that's just what I want to do. And here I expect is the man who can tell us that's amazing. This is my venom, colleague, doctor Watson. Already do sir? What do you know? You had my note with Ron, Yes, but it explains nothing. It's too delicate thing to put the details on paper, too complicated. Well, here we are at your disposals. Well, first of all, mister Romes, I think my employer, Sir Robert norburn And has gone mad. This is Baker Street, mister Bison, not Harley Street. But why do you say that? Well, sir, when a man does one odd thing or two odd things, there may be a meaning to it. But when everything he does is odd and he begins to wonder, I reckon. The Showscombe Prince and the Derby have turned his brain between him. Showscomb Prince is a coach. The Robin is entered. It's the best in England. An if you'll know, if anyone does know, I be playing with you gentlemen now, because I know this won't go beyond the room, Sir. Robert has got to win this derby. He's up to his neck. This is his last chance. Everything he can raise or borrow is on that horse, and a fine odds too. That's but how's that, mister Mason of the horse? As good as that? Well, the public don't know how good he is, doctor Watson. So Robert's too clever for the text. He is the Prince's art right for spins, he can't tell him apart, but there are two lengths in the prolong between. Then when it comes to a gallop, know, Sir, his whole life is on the Prince. If he fails him, he's done. It seems not a desperate gamble. But where does the madness coming? Well, first of all, he's only got to look at him. He's always a while, He's turned the stables at all hours. And there's the way he behaves to Lady Beatrice. But they've always been the best of friends. She loves the horses as much as he does. Well, he shows come Prince. When he heard her coming, he tron out of the carriage for his number sugar every time her. But that's all over now. But she seems to have lost all interest for a week now, she's just driven past the stables. Well so much as a good morning? Do you think there's been a quarrel? A bitter quarrel, if you ask me, sir, what else would he give away her pet spaniel? She loved it as if it were a child. But he gave it away a few days ago to old bards. What keeps the green dragon down at Crendle? Of course, with her weak heart and drops he she couldn't get a bat with the Robert, but he used to spend a couple of hours with her in her room every evening. That's all over to He never goes near her. She takes it to Archer. It's all changed, mister Holmes. Everything's changed, and something going on, mark my words. There's something more then that. There is her. Night after night the Master sneaks home down to the crypt of the old church. Oh it's an old, ruined chapel in the park, all right, d damn place. It is too bad enough by day. There's not many in our parts. But think of going there by night haunted, no doubt all you might he smile, mister Holmes, Which has had a bad name amongst us for generations. Any Wait, there he goes every night. Wait or fine, you interest me more, monster Mason. But how do you know? Well it was my head. Lad Stevens knows him sneaking out first of all, and told me it's none of our business. Perhaps you'll say, but we went after him. We waited behind him, Bush saw them go inside the crypt. Does this jumping work all right? Fred? Could be a bad job worth of these spots.
Speaker 6: There's no respector of persons when he gets started.
Speaker 1: Still, I mean see this out. Oh, you can't see much from here. I think we can go inside and take a.
Speaker 6: Look on your life. Here is for sure much we can do, then, said, follow him home again.
Speaker 1: We'll never know. You might be carrying something to give us some idea, and watch help. He's coming out now. They will keep down in you'll come past this. But you'll like, well, his ends were empty, So where does that get it? We don't know. We could We could take a look inside now he's gone inside. Oh I don't know, Oh, John, I one' mind. Come on, the master can go in there, I reckon. We can.
Speaker 6: Might not rest easy till we get to the bottom of this wait out here for me if you.
Speaker 1: Like, I'll come. Well, she's no want here, don't want nothing. We can we get him picked he what's that over there? Huh?
Speaker 6: When here?
Speaker 1: Well, that's funny. It's boone boone, and its cause he just too. You've been down here before, Fred, once or twice, and in daylight. No, And I was here some time back when Master sent Tiggins to see those shipsies one camping out in the place, and these weren't here? Then are you sure? Starting John? Might be itsy? You don't reckon? No o. They're old bones. These will be un years old where they come from. Oh should anyone drag them out and leave them lying around? This beats me, Fred, It beats me, and beat both of us. Who did mister Rooms? You left the bones then, hi, lying in a corner with a bit of old board over them and armisted rooms. Take a look at this, huh? A piece of the bones? No, sir, not them. This was a day or two later. There's a peaching furnace under Lady Birch's room. It had been off for some time, but Sir Roberts started complaining about the coal, so we started up again. And the other morning and one of the boys was raking out the cinders he found this bone. You can see it's been burnt. What do you make of this, Patson? Hm, well, it's.
Speaker 4: Human, all right, you have a condyle of a human female exactly. And mister Mason put anyone who wanted to visit the fence.
Speaker 1: Hi, sir, there's a door from outside, and there's another tword step from a passage where Lady Birch's room is. It was the Roberts at home the night before the boy found this bone. Er No, sorry, won't he gone off to London?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Whoever was burning burns? If it's not he, that's trouser. Well, these are steep waters, indeed deep and rather dirty. Have you think, Martster tell me no, sir, I think, sir, that's about all Robert a few questions. Then, when did Sir Robert give away his sister's gone just a week ago? To date her? It was hardy outside the old wellous and so Robert was in one of his tantrums that day he caught it up. I thought he'd have killed it, but he gave it to one of the jockeys and said to take it to all bars of the green Dragons. He said he never wanted to see it again. Thank you. Now, who keeps lady Diatris fold her company most of the time? Lets her maid Carrie. She's been with her about five years, and he's new. That diverted to our mistress. Well, she's devoted enough, but I'd rather not say who too. Well, I can't tell table that thoughts her and Cledoni the stay from doctor Watson's description of Sir rober Dyckon realize that no woman is safe from him. Don't you think the quarrel between brother and sister may lie there? Oh, this has been pretty clear for a long time. Yeah, but she may not have seen it before. However, this guest, the accounts to Charred Bones and these mysterious visits to the crypt is a good fishing in that thought of Berkshire fishing. Fishing, mister Mason, will they retract on the mill stream and fike in you all lake? That's good on them. Watson and I are famous fisherman, are we not, Watson?
Speaker 4: Well, precisely, in fact, you may address us in future. At the Green Dragon. I think you said it was called amazing. We should reach it tonight. And he'd hardly say that we'd better not be seen with you down there, but a note will reach us if you want us. Yes, thank you, mister Barnes. My friend and I are very comfortable, indeed very comfortable. Hey, what do you think about the whole lake and the chance of a fight.
Speaker 1: It's all? Oh no, all that one talter that or you might chance to find yourselves in the lake before you were done. Well, it's sir Robert Norburton, Sir, he's terrible jealousy out big pardon sir, But a few two strangers were near his training quarters. Is that he'd be after you? Sure is right? He ain't taken no chances, Sir Robert. Bit I think I did hear that he has a horse entered for the dob Ah, And how good cult it isn't all he's carrying all our money, and Sir Roberts too. By the way, gentlemen begging your pardon? That is I suppose you ain't on the turf yourselves.
Speaker 4: Oh no, indeed, that's two weary Londoners who said it needs some good box.
Speaker 1: Well you're in the right place for that. It's a good David at nine about But mind what I said about put strokes first and speaks after. Well, thank you, gentlemen. Oh, mister Barnes, I wanted to ask you what breed is that beautiful spaniel I saw in the passage just now? I say that's the real shock, gum breed. That there ain't out better in England than that. Really, I'm quite a dog fancy on myself. If it's a fair question, what price would a dog like that castle? Oh? More than I could pay her? It was, Sir Robert himself will give me this what No, that's why you saw he was toyed up. He need be off backed doll in a jiffy before give him his head. Well, now where you'll excuse me, gentlemen, Well.
Speaker 6: Watson may get you some cards in my hands and we may see our way in a day or two.
Speaker 1: We're moblingly there from London soon possibly. I think we might do well to enter the sacred domain tomorrow night. Infect it'll reduce the risk of bodily assault with hinstill away and.
Speaker 7: That I want two points, I should I reassure, have you any see her homes only this Something happened a week or two ago which has cut deep into the life of the Shoscombe houself, Oh what was it?
Speaker 1: We can only get at it from its effect, and they seem to be of a curiously mixed character. But that should surely help us. It's only the colorless, uneventful case, which is hopeless true enough as well, let us consider our data. The brother no longer visits the belaved invalid's sister. He gives away her favorite dog, her dog Watson. Does that suggest nothing to you? Nothing with the brother's spite?
Speaker 6: Well it might be so, or well there is an alternative.
Speaker 1: But to continue our review of the situation from the time of the quarrel began, the lady keeps her room, walters, her habits, is not seen save when she drives out with her maid, and refuses to stop at the stables, even to greet her favorite horse.
Speaker 6: That covers the case.
Speaker 1: Does it not saver the business in the crypt?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the crypt. But let us suppose it is nearly a scandalous supposition, a hypothesis put forward for argument's sake. But let us suppose that Sir Robert Norburton has done away with his sister. My dear home is down of the question that it possibly wasn't that it. Possibly he's a man of honorable stock, but you do occasionally find a carrion crow among the eagles. Let us argue upon this supposition for a moment. Old he's utterly in debt and may at any moment be sold up in his racing stable, seized by his creditors. That he's a daring and desperate man. He derives his income from his sister. His sister's maid is his willing tool. So far we seemed to be out fairly safe ground, do we not grandon? But he could not fly the country until he had realized his fortune, and that fortune could only be realized by bringing off his wind's shostkun Prince. Therefore, if he had disposed of his sister, he would still have to stand his ground. He would have to get rid of her body in some way, with the maid as his confident. Don't that would not be impossible. The body might be conveyed to the crypt, which is so seldom visited, and it might later be secretly destroyed at night in the furnace, leaving behind it such evidence as we have seen.
Speaker 3: Let's say you to that mll. It's all possible if you've got the original supposition. But that's monstrouls. I think there's a small experiment which we might try tomorrow.
Speaker 1: It may throw some lighte on the letter. In the meantime, if we intend to keep up our characters, I suggest be called for a glass of wine and pulled some high contrasts upon eels and bays. And that's what the.
Speaker 8: Morning, gentlemen. Why mister Barnes, you're a fish and longer for this? Well, as a matter of fact, mister Barnes, my friend here for rather foolish.
Speaker 1: We forgot to pack our spoon bait for Jack and as we gathered there's none of the had hereabouts. We'll just have to forget about.
Speaker 4: It was only an excuse to get away from London Rail who we shot miss it?
Speaker 1: Well, perhaps you'll think of taking a walk instead, some very nice walking in these parts there is, as a matter of fact, that's just fucked there off to do now. I was wondering to my friend, but you mightn't be persuaded to let us take that dog of yours along with us. Well, I don't see why not at all, gentlemen. If you could be bothered with him, I wouldn't. He'll be glad of the exercise. I don't seem to get ten minutes to call me on these days. It will be a pleasure. I think we need the exercise as much as the dog does.
Speaker 4: This is the FaceTime ages. Yeah, those are the gates, the entrance to shost them old place. I learned that the old lady's carriage comes from here almost precisely every midday as she starts out for her drive, you having from Gin there. More than that, the carriage has to slow down while the gates are being open for her. Now when it comes through them, before I gather speed again, I want you to stop the coachman in some question. I shall stand behind this holly bush and see what I can see, and I think I shall also accidentally loose my hold of this good dog's lead.
Speaker 1: But quickly, Watson, I can see the carriage and the byway. Now I do know what to do for them. Oh no, Mike, I say, pardon me. Let her couldn't tell me he's the Robert Normanton at home to day. I sorr, I ain't back from London yet. I see right there, Wait, good, right on by a way? You come here, boy, come here, you are too valuable for lose. Well, Watson, that's done.
Speaker 4: It cause no excitement. Well what did you see? There just seemed to be two of them in there? They made perhaps some of the old lady in Ye, yes, Watson, well the dog exactly. He recognized his mistress's carriage, but found a stranger inside it. Dogs don't make mistakes. But did you notice anything else?
Speaker 1: I did think that voice, the one that called him to drive on, sounded remarkably like a man, and revetted one more card to my hand. But it needs careful playing all the same. I think we'll arrange for another rondeble this evening with our friend mister John Mason. And what better place than the crypt I can't stay very long, mister Wones. Robert inspect him back any minute. Oh very well, mister Nason. But before you go, could you show us the bones you still call hire In this corner you were showing your lantern, notter Watson saying it's queer. They call as I expected. I don't understand her. I don't say the ashes of them might even have we found in that Pennie who told us about why in the world would anyone want to burn the bones? And the man has been dead, maybe older for a year. Yeah, that's what we're here to find out. It made me in a long set and we need not detain you. I don't see. We shall get our solution before morning. Then, good sir, and I'll be off if you don't mind. I don't want master to for me missing. Thank you, mister Nation. You'll hear from it soon enough. Now, Watson, let us have a closer look at some of these tools. What do you hope to find? Homes? I said, what do you hope to find? Ah?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Every year? A coffin.
Speaker 4: Little legs a little bit and unless I'm very much mistaken recently tempered with, just let me get my legs to it. Ah, Yes, as I thought, when someone has tried and succeeded, I should say, Hm, I think I think we shall now do the same, with the assistance of my trusty Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Now just a poor Waton, if you please send me heavy now this oh, this is an ancient corpse homes. This is listen, someone's coming and.
Speaker 1: Who's the devil? May you ben? What are you doing on my propaly? I also had a question to ask you, sir, Robert Nordton, who are you, I say, out with it or by by me? Is Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes. Possibly it is familiar to you, But in any case, my business is that of every other good citizen to uphold the law. It seems to me that you have much to answer forsa rabbit. No it does. For instance, whose buddy is this? And what is it doing here? Very well, mister Holmes, everything can be explained. I'll show you. Everything's all right. I'm pleased to hear it.
Speaker 9: Appearances are against me, I'll admit, but I could act no otherwise.
Speaker 1: I should like to think.
Speaker 9: So, oh, come up to the house, pleace, and you can judge for yourself how things tan. You have gone pretty deeply into my affairs and to homes, doctor Watson. I should not have found you where I did. So you know in all probability that I'm running a dark horse for the Darby. But everything depends on my success. If I win, all is easier. If I lose, well, I dare not think of that. I understand the position. I am dependent upon my sister Lady Bertrice for everything, because if I'm not mistaken, her interest in the estates for.
Speaker 6: Her life only you know that to them, well, it is so.
Speaker 1: For my own part, I'm deeply in the hands of the money lenders. I've always known that if my sister were to die, my creditors would be onto my estate like a flock of budgers. Everything would be seized, my stables, my horse is everything Well, mister Holmes, my sister did die a week ago, and you tell no one, no, doctor Watson, I told no one.
Speaker 9: How could I If one word had got out, absolutely ruined would have descended upon me within a matter of ours. I know these money lenders and their methods only too well. You see, if I could only stake things off until for Darley, all would be well.
Speaker 4: If your horse wins, well if it doesn't, in any case, surely your bets on the race and your expectations.
Speaker 9: From it would hold good, even if your creditors did also be part of my estate. And my chief creditor happens to be the same rascally fellow, Sam Breuer, My once was compelled to horsewhip on new Market Heath. Give a vote, he would try to save me, Oh, doctor Watson. If he got possession of a horse, it's simply to draw him from the race. My bets will be boyed and my ruin would be complete. Robert, Now, what did your sister die? Nott sa it was plainer for years? Has a doctor certified to editate? And surely it is the Colonisy designed not you. I catch your meaning, mister Holmes. But I assure you many doctor would certified at her end, had been in no doubt for months now.
Speaker 1: But did it care? Just too soon for you? Well? What did you do? Ah? Yes? Carry come in, come in knowledge, mister Holmes.
Speaker 9: This is my late sister's maid, carry missus Norlif I would, and this is her husband knowledge. These are the two people up an earth who can substantiate what I say very well well. As I told you, it occurred to me that if I could only stain things off until after the dobby, all would be well. And obviously the body couldn't remain in the house, even though there was no need for anyone going to her room but the maid.
Speaker 10: So on the first night, norll it and I carried it out to the old well house. I disclaim all responsibility as I might expect. However, responsibility is not yours at all. It happens you concealed the body in the well house.
Speaker 1: Yes, then there was a complication over my sister's spannel. It used to follow her everywhere, turned up at the well house doors, stood there, yapping continuously, wouldn't go away. So you got rid of it, to the landlord of the Green Bregon, Yes, Even so, I felt that.
Speaker 6: Some more secure place was needed for her body and all it, and I carried it.
Speaker 9: By night to the cryptic. And there was no indignity or in reverence. Mister Holmes, I do not feel I've robbed the dead.
Speaker 1: Well. I can picture your thoughts. Perhaps you you would have felt differently in my position, one.
Speaker 9: Cannot see all one's hopes and plans shattered to the last moment, and make no effort to save them. It seemed to me that it would be no unworthy resting place if we put up for some time in one of the coffins of her late husband's ancestors.
Speaker 1: They lie in what is still.
Speaker 9: Consecrated ground roll it and I I disclaim all right. We opened the coffin, removed the contents, and placed my sister inside, as you have seen her. As to the old relics, they were burnt in the central furnace at night. Seemed better than to leave them lying there for intruders to disturb.
Speaker 1: After that, it was but a case of arranging for someone to ride daily in your late sister's carriage, wearing her clothes and keeping up the appearance that she was still alive. And will your so only me see who could that be?
Speaker 4: Mister knowleet, I imagine you disdain all responsibility in this as well. I'd like to know what you think that will knowledge. You're quite right, mister Holmes. He impersonated my sister and rode each day beside his wife here, deceiving everyone except an unhappy dog who wondered where his mistress had got to.
Speaker 1: And you, it seems it is my disiness not to be deceived. It was my duty to bring the pets to light, and there I was leaving. As to the morality or decency of your own conduct, it is not for me to express in the opinion. Oh there you are, Watson. I thought I had you grow out a few minutes ago. But our papers will be delivered before long, aren't they? Homes? I wanted one the born. Really, Watson, you've been uncommonly excited all afternoon. Is now you're looking as smug as a well filled cat.
Speaker 11: Pray, let me into your teacher or today's home. Today, today, Christmas, Eastern's and spadings. I see nothing remarkable about it. It's derby day. The derby was run this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Really is never all I should his say, the boy with the particulars. The derby was won by a horse named.
Speaker 4: Shoscombe, Prince of which will douctas heard he carried within the blessing of my month's wound pension.
Speaker 1: That is all. The name is familiar. Good, My dear Watson, you come and give it the benefit of your opinion upon this specimen. Really, if it go not to the microscope, I do not believe we should achieve half the results we managed to. That was Shoscombe Old Place. A Sherlock Holmes story adapted from Saratha Conan Doyle by Michael Hardwick Wiscarton Hobbes as Holmes, Norman Shelley is Doctor Watson, Frederick Trees as John Mason, and Godfrey Kempson as Sir Robert Norburton. Production by Frederic Bradnam for the b d C.