Speaker 1: Come and knock on our door. We've been waiting for We've been waiting for you.
Speaker 2: We've been waiting for you.
Speaker 3: Where the kisses are hers and hers and hiss company to.
Speaker 1: Chris, I'm Christie in.
Speaker 4: The Come on Lake Trees Company.
Speaker 5: Praise the Lord Niggas and welcome back to the.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, praise the Lord blackest Niggas about nothing. Yeah, mashup episode. We have a fantastic guest today, and I how this mashup came to fruition was outside of my own general laziness. I was like, how can I make this work for me? So our guest today is a wonderful academic, a person of academia. He's a doctor. How am I supposed to say that?
Speaker 2: Sociologist? He's the sociologist.
Speaker 1: Thank you? Okay, wonderful. He's a sociologist. And he's also a black homosexual man. So I think reading a book that he wrote a whole book about being a black homosexual man. So we brought the world together. So so sorry getting grown audience, y'all are fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's what are you apologizing for. It's a good time and you know it's it's information for all.
Speaker 1: It is exactly. Oh, I don't mean the kitchen table. I just meant our Shannannikins.
Speaker 5: But it's oh well, in that case, then how was y'all's weeks? What's been happenings, the Tiaga, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Let's start with Tekia.
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay.
Speaker 6: I'm just you know, making my way when I can, keeping my head above water, making a way.
Speaker 1: When. How are you feeling in the season? I know this is a season.
Speaker 5: How are you feeling?
Speaker 6: I'm hanging in there, you know, I'm uh. I am thinking a lot about what's going on in the world and my family, just negotiating a lot of change and just trying to allow myself the space to sort of experience it in real time with gratitude, like you know. I mean, it's hard, it's heavy, but I'm still able to look around and express gratitude. You know, I think, I think, I think I shared with both of you, like you know, at this time, when I think about Brian Brian's passing, it is hard and I don't know that it will ever not be. But one thing that helps me negotiate that is to think about all of the ways in which you know, I have, like you know, God has given me people and relationships and you know, family.
Speaker 2: To help me through it.
Speaker 6: And you know, I see both of you as you know, expressions of that. So I'm grateful for all the ways that y'all have been holding me up for the last ten years, you know. And I'm going to miss my brother for the rest of my life, and uh, that's okay, I'm supposed to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And we love you know, we love you. Yeah, thanking your time as family here at the MESA. Yeah, I'm cool. It's in the years. That means these things are going to be home. But also like it's kind of nice that I won't have to wake up at six o'clock in the morning. But you know, lots of ind of your activities. Your girl was getting it yesterday. I saw stories hitting her ones in her toos.
Speaker 5: Was hitting my rain.
Speaker 1: Noah was up there killing the rest of the k and I know, I was like.
Speaker 5: It's not a white girl.
Speaker 2: She was trying to keep up. I was like, look at her.
Speaker 5: She was look she did she did her little stone call she did right. I've never seen an elevety road at the debrace my works. Don't call diva.
Speaker 1: She was a diva. I had to have to make sure, you know, as the mom with the best dancer, I had to be like, you did a fabulous job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's the thing. But that's the problem why I don't have children, because now I got a lot of Yeah, don't be second, that's first last, absolutely not. We are winners, better.
Speaker 2: Come in, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: How are u x D outside of exactly?
Speaker 5: I am better? And I'm going to tell you why it is so. And it's so interesting that we have Doctor Wander on the show today because of years ago he told me invest in your rest because it is so important, restorative rest. It changes your heart, mind and and everyevity. Yeah. And so I've been struggling on my mattress for I talked about on the show for a while. But I made a big boy purchase this yes, and I was like, why does this get so expensive the whole time? And I bought myself a new mattress and with an adjustable frame of a particular and when I tell you, it came yesterday and I rested, like the yes, simply rest, That's what I did.
Speaker 1: And when.
Speaker 7: Rex, yeah, I haven't even had coffee today, and I am on, I'm on this.
Speaker 5: That's what. Yes, that's what happened. You get a good night sleep. I can't wait to go.
Speaker 4: To You're like, who was I?
Speaker 1: Who was I? All that time?
Speaker 5: A total bit.
Speaker 1: Be happening.
Speaker 2: Now you'd be like, oh wow, we were poor.
Speaker 1: I woke up.
Speaker 5: It was like Luther's version of can't you feel a brand new Days? Actually the best version because I don't believe the rapstros Diane, Jesus.
Speaker 1: Lord, please, you always talking about Green. I got other names, but I'll leave. I keep saying, I keep edging this conversation.
Speaker 5: All the way articulate. I don't think I don't know from beyond the gates. It's the same. It is what else happened this week? I went out side. It is funny because Terroll had his book thing yesterday, so I went and I always laughed because our friend Darnell, who wrote a book he talks about how like when gay is getting places, it always felt like cereal deaths. So so it was that Reparation Club, which is a wonderful black queer owned, woman owned book store. They have wonderful events in the West Alms neighborhood. Please go support the Lincoln the Yeah, but I had, but I laughed because I sat down and I was like.
Speaker 1: Now, is this is this across the all the letters? Is this joke?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's everybody's when when a group of of of a because yeah, there's some people in the in in in the alphabet that aren't that a little tart? You know what I mean? Historically? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh that was Sorry, I'm going to say this meme. No, I saw this beab and it was a non binary black person of the all party community. Yes, emo and such, you know what I'm saying, type ship, you know, and you know, bang, yeah, they might have a natural in the back, but they flat on the bayang yeah, exactly, Wow, combat boots and they're going to dunks, you know what I'm saying, with some glow sticks. But this person, it's that So it's that trend, Jesus, it's that trend where they like have the Kendrick like it is the fast way that goes. But I breathed, I bleed different. So they were like being free and black and going to a queer party and blah blah blah blah blah. Gets sad with the other part of the music. They were like, but they stink.
Speaker 5: Listen. I've been to plenty of pride, plenty of just functions with you know it just be rake, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You know some niggas be musty, you know, and that's just what it is, straight niggas.
Speaker 5: What I told that pride is in the summertime because it's hot.
Speaker 1: Min stink, yeah, real bad.
Speaker 8: Bad yeah.
Speaker 5: And I know there's some of you, some of you divas are into that.
Speaker 6: Butts nuts wash, you've got it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you gotta wash your nuts like we washed.
Speaker 6: Pys Geological differences when I think about, like with Brian.
Speaker 2: You know, Brian was a large man.
Speaker 6: When he was a teenager though those hormones, and Grandma used to tell him to leave that. He used to have to disrobe in the basement, leave them stinking close downstairs, put them directly in the washing machine, Like.
Speaker 1: Are you permeating all the walls of every room?
Speaker 6: Because quite literally, you cannot walk that must through my house.
Speaker 1: You must, you must not.
Speaker 6: You cannot have put him in directly into the washing machine downstairs, and then you can come upstairs and wash your behind, but you may not parade that stinky funk all throughout my house.
Speaker 2: That's not non negotiable.
Speaker 5: I laughed the other day because I was on the internet talking about like when I first got told to put on deodorant, we all think yeah, and it's always like, you know what I mean? Do you think you get told it's been too late? It's been lingering for a while. And I had to be like, enough is enough. I remember I was on my way home and normally, you know, I would go to Carls Junior, right because that be my afternoon stack or whatever. Because on the way home and my grandmother was like, she went over to pn W, which is Pickley Wiggy, and she got me Mitcham and that's how I knew Mitcham. And you know all black people think Mitcham and it right, like it's so good you can skip a day? Yeah, but yeah, And when I tell you, she was like, don't you dare miss a day?
Speaker 9: Have you noticed that your sweet smelling baby has suddenly turned into a funky smelling teenager.
Speaker 1: A new study looks at why and why is it you have a couple.
Speaker 2: Of babies that still probably smell pretty sweet. I have eighteen eleven and ten. My eighteen year old, never never ever ever smells bad. The eleven and ten. I'm not sure what's gonna happen. In a couple of years.
Speaker 1: I had tousy, I had tussy, and then you know how I told you about the arrow with my parents. So then I got the crystal we were trying, or maybe we tried the crystal first, the one that knowed you wet it you really. Then it was like, oh that don't work, and then it was and then I think we jumped to not secret. What was the other one I have secret? Maybe it was Mitchell actually sure as Mitchell I used no, I never, I never was a sure.
Speaker 6: My mom my first was secret.
Speaker 2: And then I remember when degree came out. This was a thing.
Speaker 1: Degree, that was it.
Speaker 2: When degree came out, I remember wanting degree and my mom's.
Speaker 6: Saying something ridiculous like degree was for boys, and I was fight girl, like what you sound because it was he It was heavily marketing. So yeah, any powder degree, but that that was later. They came out with all sort of flavors a little later. But I remember, like the original degree before there was any sort of kind of different fragrant options. Yes, and I remember it coming out My mom was like, uh, you can get that for your brother, but you need to get secret.
Speaker 8: We asked some of the hardest guys in town to trade their deoderant for new degree deodorant activated.
Speaker 5: Let's give it a shot as your body heat rise. His only degree releases extra protection against odor. When I eat up deodor, it's going to kick in. It works far better than.
Speaker 6: The speech that kicked in for me, because I was like, girl, what, and then I said. My logic was, if it's strong enough for a man, it shouldn't matter.
Speaker 5: It shouldn't matter. That's why I were a secret today period. Listen. Branding, branding and commercials get me. This is why they need to go back to proper commercial advertising and jingles if they want me to.
Speaker 6: While we're talking about theme songs for your television programs as well, because I'm tired.
Speaker 5: Of because I'm tired of just exactly you know, like that's lazy.
Speaker 1: It is lazy. I mean, it gives you more show, I'll say that. But there was something they don't have.
Speaker 5: To do nothing else. They could add the extra two minutes, don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, they could just put it in and post like it's literally just you know, put it in at the start.
Speaker 5: They're using They're using AI to ruin everything else. You know, use it be effective, add the intro in the beginning of something.
Speaker 1: Wait, what kind of de order and do you use? Now? Kia, I still use degree? You still use the an xdu u secret still mm hmm.
Speaker 5: I don't use mentioned because it causes like like you know how it is, yeah strong.
Speaker 1: I think I wear an old Lady deorderant. I think what well? I wear two deorderance right? Because okay, first of all, I got off the natural train, so sorry to disappoint girls, miss, I use one. I use an arm and hammer lavender Roseberry.
Speaker 2: Situation is, yeah, I use that.
Speaker 1: It's summertime, so I don't have time to be playing around, you know what I'm saying. I'm not one of those girls that's like, I don't I don't stink very much. Like if I go to Yeah, if I go to sleep and don't put on deodorant, nigga, I might be musty.
Speaker 2: I never wanted to play those games.
Speaker 1: So as a as a college student, y'all know, I was born eighty, I used to go into Neiman Marcus to go get my deodorant.
Speaker 2: Oh, very classy.
Speaker 5: Well you are very old. Well Don.
Speaker 6: Missed, so then I got you off for a long did you wear? What the hell?
Speaker 8: Cash?
Speaker 5: I have boundaries.
Speaker 1: And it's not leading me wrong. Elizabeth Odd and Red Door, you should. I felt especially old last night because I went to shout out to Mandy and Weezy. I went to the Horrible Decisions One night Only cool live show at Sony Music Hall. As you all listen to this, I believe this was last week. I went with Internet and Crystal Jean very nice, Jasmina and uh, would you all like to see what your Crystal Jene looked like at the show. So it was a fabulous show, wonderful production, very sex positive. Okay, it was great for the beginning of Pride. Okay. We had a burlesque, man, I've never had mel burles I had a nasty hill and got down to a corset. It was It was fabulous and the girls did a great job and it was entertaining, and your sister also was having the time of her life.
Speaker 6: I'm not surprised at nothing about that surprising to me.
Speaker 1: Very much.
Speaker 2: On a mask that is very much that's a brand.
Speaker 1: But it was a good time. But it was I was out on a Tuesday particular for you. It was candle wax.
Speaker 5: And paddles and was grown.
Speaker 1: I don't know who I thought I was actually grown it was. I mean, but we we have a fantastic kitchen table slash after the break conversation, yeah yeah, yeah, So should we get to it?
Speaker 5: I think we should headed Clyde.
Speaker 1: After these messages. Will be right back.
Speaker 9: While I'm at it, I'll also cut my short and long rail pieces. Try my best to avoid the sidewood. I mean, I like soidewood on occasion, but I'm just not looking for a permanent relationship with it on this piece.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Welcome Blacks.
Speaker 6: I'm very excited at the kitchen table because we have expanded the kitchen table. You remember how your grandma used to have that flat where you can make the kitchen table.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I forgot about the flat.
Speaker 8: We have.
Speaker 6: Table the little you know, we've given the kitchen table a little bit more length, and we are joined some very special guests. Y'all know, friend to the show, our brother x D is here. But we're also very excited to welcome a special guest whom I will introduce right now I will read his bio. Terrell Ja Wender receives his PhD in sociology from UCLA, the University of California, Los Angeles, in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: He is an urban ethnographer.
Speaker 6: Whose research areas include race and ethnicity, sexuality and sexual health, qualitative and quantitative research methods, and education. His current research examines stigma response processes among stigmatized populations negotiating more than one stigma simultaneously. His research has been published in Qualitative Sociology, AIDS, Patient Care and STDs, the Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, and the Journal of Medical Internet Research. His work is also on mobile applications as a health intervention, and he's been covered in the LA Times. He has he's here to talk about his life. This book, which is out to day. It is a book called Shameless, The Making of Black Gay Identities in LA. It's a multi method examination of anti gay stigma response among young black gay men in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Everybody, welcome, doctor.
Speaker 6: Doctor, well, doctor Winder, excuse me, doctor Winder to the kitchen table.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dr Winder, and welcome.
Speaker 8: Hello, thank you, thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, So this is a really interesting book and untimely, one being that it is pride. Yeah, but we're coming out an intersection of life where we're being attacked by a whole bunch of shit. Right, So talk to us a little bit about this book. We have questions. But you introduced and let us know about your baby. Yeah, happy to do so. You know, Shameless was a long working process. You know.
Speaker 10: I started data collection for the project probably in twenty twelve in Los Angeles, and you know, spent over four years kind of going and collecting data with a group of guys in LA and learning just how they were navigating what it meant to be black and gay in Los Angeles. And I kind of start off in the book saying, you know, I'm from Baltimore, so my orientation to what it means to be growing up as a black person is different than what has.
Speaker 8: Happening I thinking in LA.
Speaker 10: I think people sometimes think of LA as very black because we have these like you know, black movies, like you know, exactly it's set in LA, but it's actually been you know, the population of black people has been declining over time, and so I was very interested in, like, how are you all learning what it means to be black? What does it mean to be gay in a city, you know, the second largest city in our country, and that's very geographically different. And so the book is an opportunity for me to kind of tell their stories in connection with my own ballso of thinking about how do we respond back and reject some of those stigmas and negative experiences in everyday life.
Speaker 8: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Vana. So even you talk about in the beginning about the geographic I don't want to say disparities, but how the geographical lay out of LA and how that, uh is indicative of how people established community. Can you talk about that in essense of like, you know, comparing it to Baltimore or like New York City or anything in places where you've lived, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I think, Uh.
Speaker 10: One thing that's true about l A, right is public transportation is not winning any awards and not.
Speaker 5: Right the campaign influenceds talking about.
Speaker 8: You know, but that's part of it, right that you know.
Speaker 5: LA.
Speaker 8: To me when I got here, I was like, why.
Speaker 10: Does it take an hour and I have to go ten miles? Like, you know, I can see where I need to be on the highway and so you know, understanding how people are navigating the physical space. I think helps to understand how people are setting up their identities and who they are, right like you know, who you encounter, who you don't encounter, or shaping how you see yourself. And so for me, it was interesting coming from Baltimore and New York City, where you know, it doesn't take an hour and a half to ten miles or you know, you can hop on the train and go where you need to go, and you know, seeing that play out in LA was very interesting to me. So I think, you know, at the core of it, what I'm saying is like geography matters, so like it's important for us to consider like where people are growing up and the context of the like the demographics of that place really matter for how we think about what is blackness? How does blackness show up? And what is queerness? What is gayness? How does that show up in space? And so that's kind of what I emphasize there, and I highlight kind of you know, people are traveling an hour or two hours, you know, wherever to get somewhere to meet people, to hang out with community, and I think it's important to you know, to highlight that even though we have so many resources in LA, it's not equally dispersed across the city in location.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you, actually, I guess pre book, because in order for you to write this, you had this was part of research and also just adaptation to a new space. I have a good friend out in LA. Her name is is Nia, and she put together the supper clubs specifically for lesbian and fems in black lesbian and films in LA because they feel like they have not had any spaces in those spaces have predominantly been for black gay men, I mean for gay men and specifically for white men, which well, I'm sure we're going to get to that. How did you go about with all of these challenges that you that you just spoke about, how did you go about really finding your community out there?
Speaker 10: You know, that's a great question and a great point. I think when you talk about the supper club and creating a space for lesbians and product, I think for women, we don't have as many organizations as target women.
Speaker 8: We don't have as many public.
Speaker 10: Spaces for women to do that, especially for black lesbian women. So one of my early mentors kind of did a similar thing. She used to host these parties that set up I think it would call chocolate and wine, and she and her wife used to That's how she.
Speaker 8: Would recruit people for her her work.
Speaker 10: And her book is Invisible Families, about Black lesbian mothers in Black lesbian motherhood. And so I think how gender plays a role in who can access what spaces is important. And so in my case, because I was looking at men and mostly since men, there are a lot of organizations in spaces targeting them, namely for HIV n STI prevention, care and treatment, and so you know, a lot of the organizational pieces of the work happened because of HIV. It was important for me to say that the book is not about HIV. And I've made that comment a lot that when I said I was working on a project about black men, people would often say, oh, so you're studying HIV, and I'll have to say, well, no, you know, and I resisted that for a long time, but I think it's important to acknowledge what are the kind of spillover effects from this kind of funding, you know, system that created these organizations where people are getting money to find people who are positive. Right, And so because black gay men and black pere men in particular have been such a target, both impacted by the epidemic but also being targeted now to be found through organizations. It made it some ways easier to locate physical spaces. There's also the gendered aspect, which is like most places are catering to men, even gay clubs, gay bars often are catering to men, and so it wasn't as hard to locate spaces physically where they would be. But I think that's a key point whence people ask me like, why are there no you know, why didn't I also include like queer women or that, And they really weren't there in the space as much because.
Speaker 1: Also you're not a queer woman, I'm not so.
Speaker 10: But if they were there, you know, I mean, I feel like it's you know, if they're in this physical space, you I would include them, right, But I think it's important to highlight like there are not as many resources that are targeting them. I think, you know, many of the women colleagues of mine, I know who are fighting to say no, black women need to learn about PREP.
Speaker 8: Black women need to know about PEP. They need to know.
Speaker 10: About these things that's coming much later. They're they're always being pushed as an afterthought, and I think it's important to highlight like part of the reason why I was able to do this is because there's so much of an emphasis one man in patriarchy that's a whole.
Speaker 5: Even as a personal note, I worked on a movie and a part of a part of the director's push and a part of like financial stuff was attached to the Black Aids Institute. And I've always it was always been this adage of like there's always money and aids, and I always think that it's so interesting how that money is funneled into other usage, you know, to create like third spaces that we all need, which we'll talk about in a little bit, but you know, I just find it interesting how everything is just relegated to this epidemic and not anything else that we're you know, have stuff going on, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I wanted to I think to Meet the book is really I think it's really cool. I think it's a different sort of spin because I know there are lots of literature and.
Speaker 2: Sort of discourse.
Speaker 6: Around identity and how identity is shaped by communal spaces, right, and and you know what socialization, what role that plays in like our socialization and how we come to know identity.
Speaker 2: What I think is really interesting about Shameless is that.
Speaker 6: You talk about this through but but like through the lens of stigmatization. And I was wondering if before we sort of get into some of the deeper or more nuanced questions around some of your choices to do that, cause you sort of just explain like stigmatization like one on one, like for anyone who's coming in and wanted to understand. Uh, you know, we know that negative stigmas exist, but like you know, I think your book kind of lays out what are the things that informed them and sustain them, and you know, how we come to respond and interact with them. Just talk to us a little bit about about that, because I feel like that's sort of a core premise in the.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, it's a great question. Let's see if I do it justice.
Speaker 10: But I'll say, you know, one of the things that was important for me in the book was, I think we use a lot of these terms interchangeably, so like stigma, stereotype, prejudice, discrimination, racism, even yep, and I in the book go all the way back to I think one of the best examples of stigmatization is probably the scarlet letter, right, the Hawthorn text, where it's like, Okay, here's someone who committed adult where you're putting this big letter on her. It's the mark, right, So what are these identities, these behaviors, these things that we do that leave us with a mark socially and then you know, differentiating that from discriminations, like when you're treated differently because of that mark. Right, So what does it mean to walk through life with this particular mark? And a lot of work I think focused on kind of people navigate one stigma, right, but what does it mean to live at the intersection of multiple stigmas and to be dealing with kind of intersectional stigmas. So the example I gave about HIV is I think the good one where it's like, you know, there are stereotypes about what it means to be black, there are stigmas associated with that. There are stereotypes and stigmas associated with what it means to be gett or queer. But the idea that everything that's going on in black gay or black peer men's lives is HIV related or like, you know, that's the primary focal point. I think it's a unique kind of intersectional example of how that's the label.
Speaker 8: Right the moment where I say.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm studying in black gay men, they automatically think that that's what it's about, and I get to say, well, no, that's not the only thing that you know that's happening, and people are they're human, right, So it's allowing to you know, kind of craft full embodiments of who people are. And so to me, stigma is one of those kind of Cagy terms that I think people hear it all the time't really name what it is, But to me, I define it in the book as like the actual mark of what it is to have, you know, to hold an identity that is looked down upon, right society?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like costa, like how what it costs you socially?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And also draw on the du Boys like you know wd WB D Boys talks about like the burden of second sight, right, like, yeah, what does it mean to go through life with the burden of having to see yourself through the eyes of other people all the time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exhausting. The double identity is what it is essentially, because you're existing and then you're like, let me see how other people perceive me, and you've got to carry that as well. That's so much responsibility, which speaking of responsibility on people that they don't deserve, I want you to go in to a little go it into the coming out what you were talking about with coming out and how coming out it's for other people as we're talking about stigmas.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, a lot of the research I think in literature about how people navigate stigma is trying to make other people comfortable, and I think coming out is often framed as this like revelatory moment where you finally you know.
Speaker 8: Accept yourself, but I don't.
Speaker 10: I actually think there's a step before that, and that's where I kind of position unspoiling because I think people sometimes come out and they don't like themselves, or they're outed and people know and they still haven't made, you know, the decision to come to terms with that identity themselves, and coming out I think for you know, kind of prioritizes other people and it's like I'm going to share this with you.
Speaker 8: I want you to know, and then people are upset you didn't tell them and all this other kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: You know, So for me, it was important to say, no, what I'm talking about in this book is not coming out. It's about how do I reformulate a relationship with the identities I've been told on my life are bad, right, and where you're getting messages about it being bad dipper along the line of race, class, gender, where you are in the world, right, And so it was important for me to highlight that. But I think differentiating it from coming out because sometimes people say, well, you know, we had all these campaigns like it gets better, you know those, and it's like for some people it doesn't like let's just be real exactly, like yeah, but you still need to focus on how you feel about you, and that to me is the priority, you know, like, how do I focus on feeling good about me?
Speaker 1: Just everybody? Because every niggas are not okay with themselves and then they spill their ship all over the place people, and it's frustrated with It's also an unfair burden I feel like on on the community because it's like, why do I have to why do I have to come tell you what my preference is? Again, as a as a as a hetero sexual, I never have to go and make an announcement about who I'm interested in or why I'm interested in them, you know what I mean. It's not a declaration, and so I find that I've always found it actually to be a bit of a weird concept. But I do understand where it comes from because there's so much homophobia rooted in our community as well.
Speaker 10: So and it's a continual thing, you know, I think historically we had thought about people talked about coming out. It's like when did you come out? Like people ask that question, when did you come out? You're coming out all the time, like every time you meet a new person, you have come like a continual thing throughout life, you know. I always joke about when the first time I came to California and there was some women I was hanging around, and I was very confused because I was like, do they know I'm gay?
Speaker 8: Like what's going on here?
Speaker 5: Like I don't.
Speaker 10: I was like, oh, it didn't translate from New York to California, like confusing, But it's like, oh, I have to come out again, like, you know, like constantly every time you meet new people, because you don't know how they are encountering you or like what they see in you. Sometimes and we take that for granted. If you you know, I think, I don't know, maybe I'm you know, an example of a gay person who's like, you know, I have no idea how people interpret what they think I do until they say it.
Speaker 5: That's such an interesting thought. I've never I guess I come from a place of privilege where I've lived my outness for the last twenty years on the internet, so people are already coming with the notion of of who I am and all that stuff. But I've never really had to, you know, have to reintroduce myself or have to come out again, like I haven't had to come out since I left home whatever coming out means, you know what I mean. So I think, yeah, I've never thought about this, this reintroduction like going on, you know, again and again and again. When whatever new person that you meet.
Speaker 10: Tell I think, like the barbershop, right, like yeah, you know, as a classic example, but like gave you were talking about the barbershop, and you know, when I first moved to LA I was going to a barbershop and one day he the barber at the time, asked me something like what I did, and I mentioned it, and then and then from then on, once he knew, he was like, Okay, every time I came in he had a list of gay questions. He was like, Okay, you here, I've been waiting to ask this. He's like an LGBT community.
Speaker 8: Am I saying that? Right?
Speaker 10: I was, So I had to appreciate. I appreciated his questions. But it became this same where it was like, oh what the first few months you had no idea. You just had no idea who I was, what I was doing. But then I had to come out and now I'm the authority on.
Speaker 8: The gay stuff. So he had his questions every few weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was going to say, I think x ste though, I think what you're saying is an example of something that to me came through in the book, like the process of unspoiling like you, I think when you talk about like you know, ultimately, I guess you could argue that the way that you have presented yourself and your identity online is in largely a lot of way a rejection of the stigmatization that comes absolutely along with this. So I well, I think it's super dope about Shaneless is that it gives us some examples for like what the work of that unspoiling looks like in practice and what are the spaces and places and practices of actually actually doing that. I'm sorry, I thought you was going to say something XD.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I wanted to talk about you interviewed a lot of people, a lot of people, and through this, you know, you discovered, you know, how people identify and stuff. But what I found interesting was I was, yes, I was expecting the gay shit, but I didn't expect the racial identity portion when with the person who was like it was almost like, but I'm you know what I mean, like, I'm not black, I'm kind of thing with samo in person. Can you talk about that in this idea of when it comes to identities and race comes to play, How does race come into play, especially in your research.
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, definitely race essential to it. I think one of the key pieces is, like, we grow up often if you're raised in a black family, hearing a lot of messages about blackness that are more evenly tempered then you hear about sexuality. So you grow up maybe learning from your parents that being black comes with costs or social costs, or how to prepare yourself for an encountering the police or being better. But they also have messages like black is beautiful, your beauty, Like they often are pouring those things into you around race, not around sexuality. And for many people who I interviewed, race to them was immutable, right, even though we often talk about it as a social creation. It's tied to ancestry, it's tied to history, to who they know, and so you know, they felt like, I'm black and that's what I know, where sexuality felt more like a oh, like that has changed for them, right, Because in their minds, they're like, well, I've forced myself to live straight for some time or I didn't, you know, so like maybe it'll change. It seems changeable to them in a way that race doesn't. I think, in particular, the examples you gave are folks who are multi racial, right, and they talk about feeling like even within their families they were getting negative, k like messages about what it meant to be black, right, And I think it's a very conscious choice for them to participate in these black spaces where I'm doing my work right because and so that's partially why you know, it's important to me to name on the cover like this is about black gay identities to talk about their usage of the term that even if they said something like I'm biracial or multiracial, they were intentionally trying to put themselves in black space, right or black communities. They're like, I'm a member of the black community. And they understood that they were read in that way. And so I think race is at the forefront of that, and our understanding of what is sexuality is shaped by race and what is normal or considered normal for what racism what isn't And so they grew up with those massages buds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you often talk there's another part where you discuss somebody who was supposed to go away to college and you talk about that, Yes, I don't want to give the book away.
Speaker 8: Yes, no.
Speaker 10: So one of the examples is a young boy who was graduating from high school want to go away to college, and his mother basically was like, I'm not letting you go to college so you can go be gay. And you know, I was going to stop you, but I was like, what I say, Now, he's just pay in your house, right, So you know, it doesn't do anything. But I think it's important for us to acknowledge these things where it's like people are changing and shifting the trajectory of people's lives based on these identities and what people find acceptable and don't. And one of the other examples that I talk about in the book is a young boy I believe, I call him branded in.
Speaker 8: The book who.
Speaker 5: You Know.
Speaker 10: So much of the literature suggests that younger generations are more accepting and more welcoming around sexuality and that you know, actual gay people aren't being called fags in schools or like being you know, people are less homophobic than some way. And he's a great example because it's.
Speaker 1: Like, m.
Speaker 10: No, they still doing that, like they're still terrorizing the gay boys. And he's an example where he talks about one of the reasons he didn't go off to college is because he was afraid that it would be worse like that they were going to you know, now there are no you know, even more free to make fun of me or to or to you know, treat me for So these these encounters really do shift and move people's you know, life trajectories.
Speaker 8: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Which is so interesting because oftentimes the black gay escape is through education, going to school that was mine you know, I didn't want to come out. You and I have a similar coming out experience where they we were asked by our parents and it was about a week or two before we both had to go to school. So the night before I was like, I'm going to New York City.
Speaker 6: Wow, do that? That's that's native Black moms.
Speaker 1: I mean what a know?
Speaker 5: I asked me. It was like the Lord brought a department to ask okay, order she wanted to know herself?
Speaker 1: Did she ever Lord? This is a this might be a problematic question.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You can tell me it is what tiptoe off to even ask this in the first place, Like you know what I'm saying, what did like did she give you a like A.
Speaker 5: Well, she did for me, she did. She had like a dossier of things, and you know my mother speaks to me, Yeah she did, because you know, I was a young ho in two thousand and three. So I was like, that's what metro PCs had came out. So I was like, I don't need your singular nonsense and checking me. I'm gonna talk to the trade on my hotline. Okay. So she was like, you know, I hear you on the phone late at night, you know, you know, and I don't know who you're talking to. And I was you be on your computer. I'm like, girl, I listening too, Like I don't know what you want? Yeah what she and I was like, young girl. Then she sat down and she immediately went to AIDS and that's usually where it goes to sickness and had nothing to do with that. And then for her it was interesting because then after that she was like, well, I don't know how to I don't know how to provide you with a toolkit to prepare you for this. And later on we talked about this and she was like, you know, as a single mom, I did my best to prepare you. I know last night you talked about you know, breaking or being raised into our single mothers not being considered it being able to raise a man, that kind of thing. My mother has always been like, I've raised you to be a good person, not to be a good man or anything. So I was like, well that's an a plus, but b you know, once she got over the idea of this envision of her son that she had thought or whatever the fuck she got, she got over it real quick and then was like Okay, well how can I be supportive? You know, so it took some It took a little while, but you know what I mean, it wasn't immediate, but you know it. I know that again privileged place and I and I understand that's not the case for everybody, especially for a lot of people in this book, but you know, I.
Speaker 1: What about you, Torell.
Speaker 10: I feel like it was probably a bunch of things over time, the same things like you want to computer, you're on the phone, you're doing this, who is that? One example, though, six out in my mind is a restaurant we were at when I was a teenager, like Bennegan's or something said I don't think it, but.
Speaker 1: Come and get up Monte Cristo.
Speaker 5: Restaurant.
Speaker 10: And it's like, clearly this is a gay waiter something and we're you know, I'm there with my whole family, and you know, he's looking at me and I'm like whatever. And then my mother is like to my dad like why is he looking at my son like this?
Speaker 8: Like it?
Speaker 10: And I'm like embarrassing or like whatever. But it's one of those moments where it was like, Okay, there's just like an amalgamation of like different things happening, and so I feel like she just was like, I'm going to ask because if I'm not going to wait for you to tell me, okay, tell me today before you go to college.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I think you know this.
Speaker 6: I appreciate y'all sharing that, Yeah, because I think you know. One thing that I thought was cool read it through the book was I feel like I was wondering I should say, I feel like you're very explicit around like racial identity, sexual identity, but I think like embedded within like gay as a sexual identity, is this idea of gender, manhood, masculinity. It was, and I know that that comes out in some of the stories and some of like you know, as you're talking about the people that you were working with specifically, But curious as to whether that was like a choice, Like were you intentional around like maintaining the focus on like racial and sexual identity versus like explicitly exploring like concepts of masculinity and manhood as another layer.
Speaker 10: That's such a great question and I struggled with how to address it very much. So one of the questions I asked people in the interview was, like, what are some of the positive things about being a man.
Speaker 8: Or whatever gender they use.
Speaker 10: Yes, but they all had answer love to hear it, but the answers were always things that they didn't have to go through because they're not women. So it wasn't like there was anything inherently good about being a man. It was like we get I get paid more than women do, or I don't have to have a period, you know, like those, and so I.
Speaker 1: Real manage that ships.
Speaker 5: A lot.
Speaker 10: But I don't even know if they even framed it as like this is male privilege, you know, it's like one of those things like No, it was more like, well, thank god, I don't have to go through that, and you know I could have done more and probably should have done more with gender like explicitly in the world.
Speaker 1: No, No, you just give yourself a pathway.
Speaker 8: I think it is another another.
Speaker 2: To do another, you know, like or how you the work of implication.
Speaker 6: I think that that would be exactly dope, because I'm not I don't think it was. I'm not qualifying the choice. I think you know what you know, but I agree with you.
Speaker 10: That's the question I asked myself to So don't know if the critique is all so from within right with this question of like how do I deal with, you know, not framing the conversation about manhood as explicitly as I could have, I think, And it was always challenging because I think it does come out in the narratives and in the stories of what it means to be.
Speaker 8: A man yea, or how they learn.
Speaker 10: But yeah, it was a hard question. It was a deep question for them. And I still struggle with, Okay, how best do you present that the thing that men are excited about being men is rooted in like misogyny or something like, you know, like this male privileged thing. And so I don't delve into that as much. And partially also one of the reasons why I don't delve into that is that race and sexuality presented as such clearly salient things that you know, there's been a much larger discourse around uh, you know, who gets to be black?
Speaker 8: Who doesn't get to be black?
Speaker 10: And I feel like that's changing right over, like this new generation of like you got four black grandmothers, you know, like who's there who can be And so it was important for me to address the racial piece. Yeah, and I think I try to point out that to me the gender piece. Isn't the privilege like when we first started about this, which is like that there are even spaces where they can go, yeah, and that are women. Yeah, those places don't exist in the same way.
Speaker 6: And I mean, I'm only you know, like you said, you started your data collection in twenty twelve, and so you know, the thing about research is that it's like contextually specific, right, So I'm just thinking about it now through the lens of you know, this age where we're in the Mano sphere and what you know, what that lens would add to this conversation.
Speaker 2: So that's why I asked them.
Speaker 6: I think it's really fascinating because I'm learning a lot about even you know, even the work that we've done before since around just thinking about intersectionality and all the ways that likely race and our gender identity, also class identity also like you know, you know, all of these things. You know, it was fascinating to think about it through this lens. That also adding the layer of what it means for stigmas and how we collectively, individually and collectively position ourselves.
Speaker 2: To reject them.
Speaker 6: I just feel like, you know, there's a lot of that's a lot of there's a lot of good work, and so would be curious to know, like, now that this is out and into the world, are you already thinking because you know the way you know how you know academic our you know, they don't let us finish one thing before they be asking which.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna have another baby? Going to be?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: So I definitely have a bunch of other projects, but I think the one that probably comes to mind right now that's related to this is, you know, in the in the book, I talk a lot about religion as well, because as a source of some of those stigmas and how those go and so because people say, well, why do people keep going to these churches and places if this if they're having these negative experiences, so highlighting you know, but you know, the spirituality and having a spiritual practice really does matter, and community matters, and so for many people it's hard to leave. But I started to question, like what about the people who do leave and say.
Speaker 8: I'm not Christian anymore.
Speaker 10: I don't know if I want to do that in that way, And so I had I have a project on you know, black spiritual Black spirituality that's rooted in things like who do who do working conjure and then African traditional or diasporic fates like if those things. And so we interviewed like one hundred and nine black folks across the US who are practicing different African diasporic fates in some way, and that will most be the next book. And I will say that one thing is the majority of them in that project identify as women, sis, women or a gender and something non binary. And you know, it's been an interesting counter to this project or like the build off, like an offshoot, because sexuality also becomes like a clear reason why that's happened, and that gender is definitely a big key reason why, you know, women, I cannot go to this church. I got to find something else. And so it's race, gender, and sexuality come together very clearly in that to say, no, I have to find a practice that fits better with me. And you know, I have a paper from this project that just came out and the quote is, you know, a person's God should look like them, And that was one of the things that one of the respondents said in the interview. You know, she said, I'm very clear on my on that fact, like a person's God should look like them. And that also means including women and and many of the religions were brought up in it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're there, there's there there, I think.
Speaker 6: I think, uh, there's a lot of spaces, and I think, you know, millennials are in such a space right, and there's a lot of reckoning and reckoning and and sort of like recalibration, you know, growing up as a church baby. There's there's ways in which I am interrogating and problematizing, you know, some of the.
Speaker 2: Things that were very normal and core.
Speaker 6: To my own sort of upbringing and identity development, but you know, experiencing the dissonance of sort of what you were taught and what you were raised in and what your experiences and thinking about that through the lens of like power and patriarchy and all the things.
Speaker 2: And so, uh, that's dope.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, just just naming that, you know, this is work that should continue on because there's a lot for us to talk about as it relates to sort of identities and stigmas and all the.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 1: Very much so every single day as you were just speaking, I was thinking about just running my rolodex in my head of many folks I know who. I guess for all you know, for lack of a better have left the church to explore other faiths, right, and how demonized that also is as well, you know what I mean, if they're not respected as faiths and so that. Yeah, that that's a very interesting intersection when you add queerness mixed in with that as well. I'm very excited for that upcoming project, but I won't continue to ask you about it because that's annoying worry.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, I even with the add on Kia saying I would love for you to expand I know this is just a wishless but class and because in the book, I used to work for a gay nonprofit and I'm gonna tell you the rich gays don't show up there unless they work there or they're on the board. Right, So I want to talk. I want this disparity between uh for crass terminology, rich gays and poor ga I often think about that in the terms of the dating pool, because oftentimes people complain about like, oh it's sour, it's a cesspool of But that's because you're not crossing the ten right, or you're not or you're not going to the Bronx or you not you know, doing going to the South Side Chicago. You know what I mean, Like there are there there class disparities impact so much other stuff in our community. And also why I think all gays hate each other. But that's another sociological nor.
Speaker 10: When you were saying that, Joe, maybe think of like you know, when you talk about dating and crossing, I'm like, I'm thinking of what a millionaire matchmaker with like Patty Staner and go to the bar across from the hospital. Like that's what y'all needed. You can't go down to the local bar to find you know, if you're mixing, you got to go by the law firms downtown to find you a partner.
Speaker 1: You also find you a man who likes to peel on you immediately on the first night.
Speaker 5: Because yeah, all in all seriousness, I want to talk about the fact that you took very lofty work and made it palatable for folks to read.
Speaker 8: I tried, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I meaning, Like you made like this is an academic ship, Yeah, but you made this exactly. You made this for for regular deglar folks. Yeah, to get the ship that they need, you know what I mean? And I thank you for that I appreciate, but I'm sure that.
Speaker 10: Was an it was I think, you know, for me, it was It's always important to me to try to write things in a way that the people who are part of the project can see themselves in it and also understand what I'm saying right, And so the ideas in the book I presented to the people in my project, they read different versions of it at different points in time. They knew what I was talking about, and so I always felt like I didn't want to come out with something that they would say, no, that doesn't sound like me, or that doesn't sound like what my experience was, or no, I don't agree with that part of it, and I think there is there's space to disagree about my interpretation of things. But I also wanted them to be able to see themselves. So like some of them, some of the guys who I interviewed, like were texting me earlier today.
Speaker 8: Like I saw this on that page, I think that's me.
Speaker 10: Or whatever, you know, like like identifying quotes that they think are them and I love that. And sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong, and I love that they can be wrong about it because I think it just highlights that, Yeah, your experience was not just you. You're not the only local told that who held that way exactly.
Speaker 1: How being that you worked on this, you started this project fourteen years ago, you know, first of all, was this what what what came to full fruition? Was this at your original plan and thought process? Or how like what was the evolution of that? Because you're not the same person you were fourteen years.
Speaker 8: Ago, No, which is why it's so hard.
Speaker 10: You know, think about the book where I'm like, yeah and I talk about this, and I'm like, did I take that out of there? Like, you know all the time, because it's been a work in progress. When I started out, I really thought the project was going to be about a younger population, because the organization I was focused on advertised themselves that way as the.
Speaker 1: Nigga you was younger, you were fourteen years I was.
Speaker 10: I was, I was like twenty one, like you know exactly, you know, if I'm like, okay.
Speaker 8: They're gonna be like fourteen to twenty kind of.
Speaker 10: And then I got there and it was like eighteen or thirty, and I was like smack in the middle of the age range. And you know, I started off graduate school thinking about I was trained as an elementary educator, and so I was interested in what do people do in out of school time? And so I thought this was like an after school, out of school time place because of the way they were talking about the population. And then when I got there, I was like, no, they're all graduated, you know, like they're all basically adults. And so it shifted, and it was important to me to kind of just follow the direction of what was happening. And so that's kind of how across the book I end up starting in the organizational space and then turning to media and then turning to these family configurations because I was following what seemed to be important to them as it was going and progressing. I think I've in some ways there's more of me in the book and would have been in the book if I had written it exactly a while ago. Like I got pressed on that a lot, and I try to make it clear it's like I'm telling other people's story and my experience of encountering now, this is not my story.
Speaker 8: I didn't grow up.
Speaker 10: There was no organization like Uplifted La in the book that I talk about in Baltimore like I was, and I wasn't going to community space with other black, gay and queer folks as a team that was And so it's not my story, but I'm I use how I grew up as a kind of a lens to to intergrogate what they were going through.
Speaker 8: Mm hmmm hm.
Speaker 5: So you do talk and you do pivot, like you said, to media and stuff like that through Noah's Ark. I know that's a staple in here, and there's I know there's not a lot of black gay media, right, we have Pose and Tangerine and a couple of other things. But you talk about Noah's Ark being like a possibility model. I know you have a different term analogy for it, but can you expound on that. I think it's important because a lot of times, or whatever gender expression or sexuality orientation you identify as a lot of times the first time you encounter something is through television. Like everybody's first drag queen is Reupaul, right, she came on the scene in nineteen ninety, So it's kind of.
Speaker 10: Like yeah, yeah, crazy, yeah, yeah, no, that's true. Media does play that role. Like I was joking, say, you know when I was a teenager. I remember Queer's Folk coming up, and I remember watching well, I remember watching Queer's Folks start and I was like, what is going on in this club? And is darkroom doing this sexual stuff in public? I said, this is gay?
Speaker 8: If this is gay, I don't think I'm that it.
Speaker 10: So, you know, when Noah's Ark came out, it was, you know, a moment for me to go, wait a minute, now, okay, now wait a bit day.
Speaker 1: Feel like as.
Speaker 10: I can get with okay one point, that's exactly it. And so that's how I felt, right. And so I think media, I know its Oar in particular, is such a foundational frame of reference because it was the first scripted TV show on Logo Logo of course being that first gay dedicated channel, and to have a show that's centered on the lives of black gay men, a group of them, not just one, meant that it expanded our understandings of who are black queer characters? And black queer characters have always played a big role I think in film, but they're often one exactly. So I think of my favorite like Wayman in a low down, dirty shame, or like you know these like these characters that are often caricatures.
Speaker 8: And they're the only one.
Speaker 10: And Noah's Ark gave an opportunity to say, we don't have to put all of the stereotypes and challenges on issues on one body. Right now, we can see a group of them. They're masculine, some are masculine, some are feminine, more feminine. Some of them are navigating what it means to.
Speaker 8: Build a family, to not have a family.
Speaker 10: They're getting married on Noah's Ark before gay marriage is legalized, right sore, showing us possibility.
Speaker 8: I'm important, Storm and your shields, and when time comes to go to the laws home of the Ancestors, I will answer.
Speaker 10: And the show had been critiqued a lot for being maybe too fantastical, not dealing with the real challenge and issues that were happening. But you know, I argue in the book that that's what I call it dream capacity building in the book because I say, it's important for you to be able to envision a life without the burden of those sigmas. And like, what is a gay wedding? You know, what do I want a gay wedding to be? That gave us a model of it. Now, it was very based on like what we understand the traditional weddings in some way, but if you've never seen one, how do you know, or if you don't have an example of what that life to be like, how do you expand your mind around that? And so I thought it was important to highlight that through the critique of the show. Even though it was like unrealistic in some ways, it really did shape people's growing up and their life experiences. One of the boys in the book says, I moved to la because of Noazar. That's when he saw and he believed it. It wasn't true, but it changed his life trajectory.
Speaker 5: No, it's true. It happened to me. Yeah, like I you know, I was a young gay watching Noah's ark. This is great and then fast forward he the director that I end up working together. But I it is important. You know, we always talk about how representation matters, right, and and I think this is one of those things. Logo was a white network in general, I'll take the gay out of it. Is you having the first black show on this white progressive network? Yeah, yeah, No, it is fighting fighting against all odds through advertising and ship like that, displaying this this world that is a possibility that a lot of people in early os didn't think that we can expand our minds to to even get to that point. You know, you're still living in the struggle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to that point and your point to Rell as well, you know where you said people felt like the show was to fantasticalize. Is that what you said?
Speaker 8: Yeahized?
Speaker 1: Right? White holes get to have whimsy all the fucking time. Well, yeah, they go good a job as an intern and then all of a sudden they are fashion iea and going to Paris or they're turning Paris down. I don't know, white people get to do whatever. Would exit maybe watch that, But why can't some things be sensationalized? Like what's the problem with that? If we're watching Monster in Law, where you know, they get to go and they're living on a ranch and then they're gonna have this wedding and then these are the things that went wrong. But they I hate the term first world problems because it's problematic, but they are like very privileged problems. You know, why can't why can't that also be represented as well? That's a flood. I feel like that's.
Speaker 10: Flood that would like the you know, who do we have enough room yet to have representation in that way, and so I talked about that a little bit, which is like the guy struggled with this question of can we show negative things like you know, you know today we have shows that have been created with it's like here's.
Speaker 8: A group of black a men and they are drum dealers or they're like criminal, you know.
Speaker 10: I was like, it's you know, I interviewed a creator of a web series who was like, I wanted to do like a black gay the wire, like all the characters, you know, that kind of thing. And in some ways people bought with that, right. They were like, I don't think we have enough. There's not enough good representation out there yet to be trying to say people could be bad too kind of.
Speaker 8: Thing, and I think I don't think we're there, and people struggle with that.
Speaker 5: I struggle with.
Speaker 6: That, you know, I think, I don't know, I just uh, this takes me think, right. So I think there's a lot of that, A lot going on I know, in like education research, a lot going on around this idea of imagination sort of being the bad rock of resistance and progress, y'all know.
Speaker 2: Friendto the show, doctor Charles H. F.
Speaker 6: Davis and you know, our friend Candice Hall are doing a project I'll call imagine Futures, right, and so it's challenging, you know, black academics to imagine a future, right, and so like you know, it's pushing back on this idea that we have to sort of stay in reality. And like Jay said, like what would it look like for us to imagine the future that we want in the academy, in the world, et cetera, et cetera. I want I say that to say one of the things that I think is a key feature of your book that I want to make sure in the spirit of, you know, helping people understand it as a as a choice, like you know, in the talk about I think your work as an ethnographer and why that's so important for a book like this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, I you know, ethnography, I always say, I teach the ethnography class at the university in our department, and so I was, you know, ethnography means writing culture, and I think ethnography and observing how people are living their real, everyday lives is such a key way to understand what's happening. And you know, I write a bit in the methods, and I also use this in my classes, which is, you know, I think if I hadn't done ethnography, I wouldn't have as accurate data about what people were really doing and how they were navigating things if I wasn't there to observe them. And so one quick example of this was I sat down to do these interviews and was asking people to early on, I was doing like time you surveys in the interview, where I was asking people to walk me through an entire day in their life. And I sat down with some guys and they were telling me, oh, we got up this morning and then we prayed, and then we went and got breakfast, and then we went back outside again and we prayed again. And I'm listening to them, and now it's like two o'clock on their day, and they prayed like five times. And I had been hanging around them at this point for over a year and I had never seen them pray at all ever, and so I was like.
Speaker 8: It's prayer euphimism for smoking weed.
Speaker 10: And they laughed and then they were like, well, we didn't want to say it on the tape.
Speaker 8: We didn't want you to get in trouble and I was like, you know, like, you know, if you.
Speaker 1: Look, I was over I was over here. I was like, well, were they Muslim?
Speaker 8: I'm like, I've never seen pray like.
Speaker 1: A little talk with Jesus.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: That's like, so I think it was interesting because it's an example of like, if I hadn't been an ethnographer and like hanging with them and actually seen them, I would have walked away from that being like some of the most religious people.
Speaker 1: You're like, I've met a faith I've never seen before. It was other busted exactly, I've never.
Speaker 10: But because of ethnography, it made it possible for me to ask the right question at the right time.
Speaker 8: It also meant that.
Speaker 10: I am betted myself in a way that people knew I wasn't just collecting data and trying to lead. So I still talk to several people from the project every week.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm like, you're.
Speaker 10: Black and gay, I'm black gay, Like they reach out to me out each other them, you know. So I didn't want them to feel like it was fully extractive because I think I I'm privileged with the opportunity to tell some of their stories in the book, and I feel like my name rides with the book, so all of the fault can lie on me and their stories and their narratives, but also so does the like if people enjoy it or they learn something from it, it also comes from that. But I wanted to be clear that my goal was to use this as an opportunity for them to argue, or for all of us to argue for more spaces and places that help people who need it. Right, So this is you all are showing us why we need community organizations like this, why people need gay family, white people, we need more media representation. And I wanted to be able to do that and let them know that my interests are tied to theirs, Like you know, it's not extractive in that way for me, and so ethnography it was true to me to be like, let me embed myself so I can actually truly understand what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 1: That's very black too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I know we're running we're running out of time here. And I have one more question for you, and it regards around family. In the book, there is you. You talk about family a lot. It's a cornerstone here and and so it seemed as though people are coming to at your community site that you were at to find family, and family has kind of changed in terms of what that is. So can you talk about your journey in discovering family through this lens?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: You know, I think in the literature I was saying, you know, when I was growing up, people would say gay family, and they would make that would mean you have a gay mother, a gay father, or you pick someone to be your family.
Speaker 8: And that, of course, with all this social progress.
Speaker 10: Of like we can get married now, gays can get together, have kids, you know, all that now gay families means that, like too, a couple has come together and started a family. And in the literature, I thought it was important to highlight that one, gay families had always existed before that in these types of configurations. Yeah, two, they only are not it's not just subscribed to ballroom or circumscribe to ballroom.
Speaker 8: Right, that.
Speaker 10: People had gay mothers and gay fathers and gay siblings and all that outside of the house ballroom community, or even that cuts across the house ballroom community. So your gay father, gay mother could be in a different house than you, and that is I don't think that's the way that we think about it. And I think when you were talk talking about like Poe's earlier, I think that's an example of life. You know, it does give you this impression that like, that's what a gay family gets. Think is important because family is the primary socialization agent of your life.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 8: The family you're born into authenticates how you understand your race, how you understand your sexuality, your gender, are, your class, your religion. It's often all passed on to you in that way.
Speaker 10: And so when you don't have a family that is supportive or that you feel like you can learn from, well, you know, I think of that Peppola Basa quote Imparison's brother, which is like you go out there and you search, Right, you don't have a family, You're going to go out look for it with.
Speaker 1: The young kids who are just on the streets at thirteen and yeah and whatnot.
Speaker 8: You have to find it.
Speaker 10: And in the work, I think early on I was maybe not as it wasn't as clear to me why people were joining gay families or doing things. I always say in the preface of the book, I talk about when it was first brought up to me to join a gay house or have a gay family, and they were like, you didn't get a gay mother some yeah, I won't say, you know, because I was like, I'm not going to these balls? What are you talking about? And then when I was like, bro, you're not going to get this right if you're not going.
Speaker 1: To go, and I said no, I had to go.
Speaker 8: I have to go. That's the ethnography. And so I say two things.
Speaker 10: One which is when I was in high school and they presented to me what I like, a gay mother and gay father.
Speaker 11: They're like, you need a gay mother and a gay father. And I was like, oh what because they can tell you what to do, you know, and how did it? I was like, I have a mother and father and I don't need anybody else trying to tell me what to do. So I was like, not going to work for me, And so I avoided it right. I was like, that's not my thing.
Speaker 8: But I think learning with some good prodding, you know, you need to go understand this. I did.
Speaker 10: I had a fundamentally skewed perception of even how scoring and things worked at ballroom or like what was happening, but these families in that way until I went and I learned what it meant, and then meeting people who were like, I'm not in ballroom, but my dad is involved, or my gay dad in the morment and I don't. I'm not in his house, but he's my gay dad, right, And so understanding why it was important to create family and that it's not just like chosen kinship network or like a group of friends, right, because you can call anyone your group of friends like that. These they're creating family relationships, in complex relationships where they see them stronger even than their biological families.
Speaker 8: Sometimes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like there's like accountability, there's accountabilities in those relationships.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a house is a gang or a clique, a group of people, but basically a house is like a family union. You have your mother or your father, the children of princess, if you're in a house family.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna use media, I know we've mentioned pos many times, and I do agree with you that it's like it doesn't give, like it doesn't get to give the full onion, right, it doesn't get to dig deep into and understand them. It's for media that white man wrote it all for all. There's all kinds of things, right or direct, whatever you want to call it, anyway, I think if I think about a relationship in there that might represent what you're saying, it would be what's her name? It's Elektra and uh, oh, my girl, MJ. What was MJ's character's name? Where? Uh what was her name? What was her name? In the Bianca thank you so how no matter whether they were in the same house or not, like you said, they would expand out, there would be fights, niggas was getting killed, they had to cover up murders, you know, all kinds of things like that. It was and then also an accountability, right because Electra had issues and Bianca was like, hey, let me, let me your She would hold her accountable. She would hold a mirta face whether she wanted to see it or not. And so I feel like that's giving us a media representation, kind of surface level representation what you're saying.
Speaker 10: It's a great example, right, and I think for a better version of pose. I think it was like a really good dramatization of Paris is burning and does a really good job of expanding the store, giving us a little bit more, you know, bringing in to life in a different way a little bit, you know, and does a great job at doing that, and you know, actually employs these wonderful trans actors and actresses who can be on this, you know, on the scene in a way that the folks who were in Paris Is Burning originally were not able, Like, they didn't reap the same benefits in that same way. So it is transformative. But and I and it also is another example of there's more than one trans woman in this show. Yes, all of the stereotypes about what it means to be a trans woman aren't on this one person, right, Like or what it means to be gay. There are multiple versions of what it means to be a gay person in the show. So you could just see that, And I think that's what I'm always pushing for, which is, let's we have to diversify the representations so that you know it's not just oh, you see a show and you think that is the only way to be queer and gay, that's the only way.
Speaker 8: You meet up.
Speaker 10: And that's why I use the Queerest Folk example where I say, look, I saw it and I was like, oh no, if this is gay, I gotta find me a new thing. But then you know, no, as Oar comes along and you're like, oh, Okay, yeah, to do this, you know, like that aligns that like they're black, They're like talking about things that I know. There's music here that I know, artists I know, and you know what that looks like. And so I think it's important to highlight that. But like family, I couldn't write about this without addressing family, and I think it does kind of booking the work, right, which is I'm talking first in the beginning really about biologically and how people are brought up and what they're learning often at home, and then for by the end we're turning to you know, these chosen gay families people. I was like, I am choosing to be in relationship with you in family.
Speaker 8: You are my gay mother. I'm going to rely on you. And to take people on as children is a big calling.
Speaker 10: Right, Like they talk about like I'm paying you know, I'm paying the way for my kids or you know, I'm showing up when something's wrong or if they're sick, or those sayings, and they're they're stepping up to the plate and doing that, and I think it's important to have that, especially in a city like LA we have a lot of transplants and people who like picked up their stuff and were like, I picked up everything I had in Alabama and I moved to LA to make.
Speaker 8: New York to you know, you need a family.
Speaker 1: I used to hold boys thanksgivings xt he knows he was one of the Lost Boys, and I was Windy, and I would cook for all these niggas whose family who didn't have families, or they were transplants to the city or whatever the you know. And it was necessary. And that's how we've been able to expand and kind of build our familial community in this way. And so when you add an additional life experience to that, such as being gay, where you've experiences that I haven't even variance, then you can see why it's so important, because it's important for everybody. Everybody needs that energy, humans across the gambit. So I appreciate your perspective very very much.
Speaker 5: Any parting words, parting words, do I have party words?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 8: But just before we go pray, everyone go pray.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, I just hope that you know it's uh, you know that the book is even though it's about black gay men, that I think it. You know, my goal was to make something that was portable for people who are navigating stigmas no matter what they are, and what unspoiledly looks like for different groups may be different things. There may be different pathways. I talk about these three in the book, the community or organization, the media, and the family as like primary pathways in the book. There could be others depending on where you are and what stigmas you're navigating in the go. But it was important for me to highlight this concept, which is that you know, I think we talk a lot about trying to destigmatize, and much of the work that's being done is put on the people who are living through the trauma of the stigma, you know, going to these communitizations, going to places you're teaching me how to deal with the stigma. That's not going to be stigmatize the people who need the intervention of the people who have created this stigma around who I am. And until we get to that point, we won't see destigmatization. So for me, spoiling became this term to really go and to say, it's about reformulating the relationship you have with yourself and if by chance you come to a better understanding here, accepting yourself and maybe other people feel okay about it afterwards. That's a good after effect, a good spillover effect. But to me, it was more important to say, no, we need to rework how we feel about what it means to be who we are living in these bodies with these types of identities.
Speaker 1: Today beautiful, Thank you the winder. Tell the people where they can find the book, where they can find you, and check out all that you're doing.
Speaker 8: Please.
Speaker 10: Plus yeah, my social media is be More Torell because I'm from Baltimore girl.
Speaker 1: You know, with it with zero Baltimore say two two, See I don't. I don't have to.
Speaker 8: I don't have the accent, but I don't have the death.
Speaker 5: It's a whole thing.
Speaker 10: I didn't even realize what it was an accent until I went to college and we watched a video and people like you under a sound like that, and I was like, that was English, so you know the whole thing. But yes, no, I be More Torell on social media platforms. And the book is available at Amazon, rep Club and why you Press you can get it anywhere right now, is yeah, and why you press If you use Pride forty.
Speaker 8: When you buy, you get forty percent off of the book.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 8: Discount Yes, find me on all all platforms. Thank you for being thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: And stay tuned for the next segment after these messages, will be right back all right.
Speaker 6: Drug crazed rodents rating your child's medicine cabinet rat's on riddling next on sixth head World, shout out to doctor Winder. Okay, was that not an awesome conversation? You make sure you will go purchase the book as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are gay or not?
Speaker 5: I feel like we've learn some ship.
Speaker 1: Got conversation for everybody.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, you need to connect.
Speaker 5: Leave Love Island alone for a night or two. I know it's no, it's hardy.
Speaker 2: Are you watching this season XD?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not. I'm gonna and I'm gonna tell you why. I'm gonna tell you why because I hey, you know, I struggle with reality shows where love is the main price.
Speaker 1: Which is why I was so surprised at how quickly you got PROPAGANDASH watched you get. I watched you well I know why.
Speaker 5: You see, they do win money however, or yeah, they do with money, but it's not enough for me to be like, okay, right, but I also realized like they this show is just not for me. I think they are young.
Speaker 8: They're young people, young people with like.
Speaker 5: I don't know twenty two. I don't have anybody in my family that's twenty too, Like right now, I don't really know.
Speaker 2: I struggle to relate to Yeah, well, yes, and.
Speaker 5: I don't want to, you know what I mean? Like I don't And it's not that I don't want to, but I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's fun because they don't need to know me, they don't need to know us, and it's the mutual disrespect mutual I'm going to watch Big Brother as as per. Yes, that's because I'm we we've been doing it at this point. Yeah, that's what we do.
Speaker 1: Have to do it.
Speaker 5: Plus it's easy to it's easier to navigate, and plus there's it's.
Speaker 2: Less a commitment. It's just once a week as opposed to every.
Speaker 5: Day and if you choose to and if you choose to engage in live fees and that's different. But it's you really need to watch one episode of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Oh wait, hold on before you do your petty peeve as you all are bringing up TV.
Speaker 5: So you should do you should do Big brother with us this year, keep trying to rope.
Speaker 6: Me into I think I think, you know, just just give it, consider it, just give it us, think about it, think about it.
Speaker 5: Listen. I just think we're coming up on the thousandth episode. You have a month, you have thirty days from today or yesterday. You know it's gonna be a good time. I won't even make you watch the live feeds, Yeah, because I won't.
Speaker 6: First of all, it is weird, though I never that, but it's like I'm waking up and watching other people like I'm literally checking these feeds.
Speaker 1: Like I am literally essentially another bitches business.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, it's like watching live tribal like all the time.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: That's why when Serie was on, it was magical. She was we was locked in.
Speaker 1: Know how I feel, but you know how I feel about to Refields though, you know how I feel about it.
Speaker 5: I even encourage you to watch her season that she was on, just a couple of episodes, just so you could be Like, it's like the games. The games are corny. They're not like there is real gameplay though, like there is some shady ship that does go down and and people do be off the wall. They say racist shit all the time. Well they get kicked out, but it's fun.
Speaker 6: I mean for the for the blatantly racist ship, but there's also just you know, the standard.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, I feel like black women on Big Brother is always a wild ride, right, because there's a certain way that people engage and perceive a black women in that space, and all of their prejudice and bias falls out very quickly, even when they try to conceal it, especially among the.
Speaker 2: Progressive girls, right and the game you see I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, your racism fell right out, girl. You was trying to hold it, but I see it, look at it, it's right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's always that's always an interesting angle.
Speaker 6: And to me, it's just something that it's kind of become, strangely become a part of the summertime.
Speaker 2: For me, it's just kind of like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: It's escape because I don't have to think about anything else. They tell you nine hundred times what.
Speaker 6: Happened, Yeah, and you can escape the reality of this world back going over there into this closed social experiment and just like I'm not even dealing with what y'all are talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see what these people are doing. So that's been helpful. But yeah, just think of God consider it.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 1: I will consider that, Takia.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm ready, my petty Peeve. I talked about this a little bit. Oh, were you gonna ask me something else?
Speaker 2: It was what go ahead?
Speaker 1: XD and I already had our conversation. You can go find it on Patrion. Okay, next to Patrioch. We would like to know your thoughts drag Race, the last final episode of the second bracket of drag Race. Your thoughts. Oh, I don't know where to begin.
Speaker 2: I feel like Silky is doing what I know Silky to do.
Speaker 6: In terms of how you know the gameplay and the points and how that all worked out. I mean it was kind of even though I was like, oh, I was kind of like kind of genius the way that it just she engineered that in a way that was most favorable for her, which in all the ways that I struggle, you know, with my sister Silky and the ways that she gets on my nerves, it's like it's masterful gameplay.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's masterful gameplay. It's masterful gameplay.
Speaker 5: I could I was.
Speaker 2: I did at least feel better that she was worried that if my sister Crystal Crystal meth uh Chris, if.
Speaker 6: Crystal didn't get that last point, I was at least encouraged that Zukie was feeling bad, like like you know, she was over there stress like if they don't give Crystal this point, if Crystal is not in the top two. After I did all of this nigga rigging, I would it was nigga rigging for sure. I didn't feel I felt better about that. I'm trying to think because I watched it a little while ago.
Speaker 5: How did you feel about uh Selena's reaction?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Selena gets on my nerves and I'm just trying to I don't know if Selena's reaction, I wonder why Selena feels so it titled.
Speaker 8: To me.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's like an entitlement there and.
Speaker 6: She's like she sister just didn't have the points, she didn't have the wins, she didn't have the points.
Speaker 2: She got a win, right, if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 6: I'm getting a little confused because I also, I told you that I went back to watch. I'm now like watching season twelve because I went back and watched.
Speaker 2: I went back and watched all.
Speaker 6: The Silky's original and then then I'm in season twelve, so I feel like all this drag races is coming together in my mind.
Speaker 1: That's jayas yes.
Speaker 5: I think, and the Queen we don't talk about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh Sherry Fye.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she wasn't talk about Sherryffy.
Speaker 6: It was oh wow though, but yeah, So I feel like I have a lot of drag race in my mind. I'm trying to keep track of this most recent one. So I feel like I don't remember, okay, Selena. Selena felt like, oh Selena, okay, yes, because she was looking for the Transla Jays to to back her up, and all of them left my sister out there by herself.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yes, now I remember, now, I remember now, I remember.
Speaker 12: And Aura and Aura she she was also really oh yeah, and I didn't think Aura had it inner And I felt like it was interesting that Aura, because I mean, Ora didn't get nothing out the equation, like.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, Like all of the ways that Aura was moving to me, it did not benefit her directly. So I think if you juxtapost that against the way that Silky was moving, like, it was very intentional gameplay that benefited Silky directly.
Speaker 2: Where I felt like she wasn't going was just she wasn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's why I thought it was interesting that she didn't that she left uh Selena out there. I was most annoyed because Selena kept saying peck peck. It was like, girl girl, one more time, she's listening to you girls, stop saying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But no, what did y'all think?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it was wild to see her reaction, Like she blew up in a way that I thought that she would.
Speaker 1: But like, what did y'all think we had a bit of a disagreement to We did, Yeah, And I think it's and I recognized this is me playing survivor.
Speaker 5: Okay, because I did not. I think I think Aura in April see.
Speaker 1: I want and look and I'm playing who the fuck are you talking to? And I was like, how you gonna make all these alliances and then black on me for not voting for you, bench like after I've been peeping, be shady in this workroom, but I'm not giving you ship.
Speaker 5: And that's why I conceded and I said, fine with Aura. I still don't like the half of but it's fine. But April, who was just there for like STDs, carried her like that's true through these last three episodes and like and.
Speaker 1: Then Ski booster her ego with that one little point.
Speaker 7: But it was so.
Speaker 2: Interesting though that.
Speaker 5: I couldn't break anybody's name down. That's what that gave to me.
Speaker 6: I feel like it was interesting because April and Silki had been sort of like giving each other a lot, and so it was interesting to see how quickly. But yeah, so it was interesting to see how quickly, Like I felt like, ALLSOK had to do was ask April for her point and she.
Speaker 2: Gave it like it was not there was no objection, which I was just like, what is that about?
Speaker 5: Over in nearing the game, Yeah, because I called it from the first episode, I was like, oh, Silky and Crystal are going.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: I was like, if any or if Silky's not, it's as Cities.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought, I.
Speaker 2: Thought because of the ron come, I thought, No, I didn't. I thought Celena was because of.
Speaker 1: The the redemption of the lip sync with a Carria. That's what That's what I was thinking about.
Speaker 5: Yes, But I also was thinking like, well, out of this crop of queens, who has been like most improved. And this goes to what you were talking about, Kia, about like the entitlement as titties have. And I can see how this happens to a lot of queens. When they come on All Stars, they jam, they took, they took all the critique.
Speaker 6: Now Jam was season twelve. I'm watching Jan's first season.
Speaker 5: Now she worked mine, You're about to be Where's But then when she gets to All Stars it's like damn.
Speaker 1: But yeah All Stars it was very much like damn, they just don't like you. That's pretty sad.
Speaker 6: She's very talented, but the personality is just not there. She's irritating. I don't think I would like her neither.
Speaker 1: Because I mean thirsty.
Speaker 5: I like her now she's too thirsty.
Speaker 1: But I need to watch on drag Race.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't watch her All Stars. I need to watch her All Star season. But I'm just watched her original like drag Race.
Speaker 1: Prepared to be sad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she had a really sad especially the Madonna episode.
Speaker 6: It's the Madonna episode. They just did the Madonna rusical in season twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was so bad. That was episode.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Crystal.
Speaker 5: Became Madonna. Oh yeah, the.
Speaker 6: Transformed into Madonna because the rehearsal was given, like g G girl, what's having it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, baby baby, dear baby. Yeah, it was given.
Speaker 6: Or but then she showed out at the at the rusical, which was like, okay, I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 1: Presenting our very own girly show.
Speaker 5: It's the world premiere of Madonna the unauthorized rusical.
Speaker 6: Legohnna asked, lover, I think I got the episode where Widow guys sent home?
Speaker 5: Oh was that Stash game?
Speaker 6: No, she got sent home after the debates. Yeah, yeah, they did this snatch did they do? Yes, they did snatch game? Because what's the name?
Speaker 2: Uh uh, what's it? The one she was Cardi Beach, what's her name? I'm thinking about the little one.
Speaker 1: I gotta rewatch.
Speaker 5: I gotta rewatch Pandemic season.
Speaker 2: I think after Black Widow went home, it's when they had to go.
Speaker 5: That is that Tina Berner season? No, No, that's it's Jackie Jackie Cock.
Speaker 2: HEIDII finally landed.
Speaker 1: How do you I think? How do you do?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 1: How do you go home?
Speaker 5: Next?
Speaker 2: I don't know where is Heidi? How you came to All Stars?
Speaker 7: She did?
Speaker 2: She did have an All Stars wasn't she But I.
Speaker 1: Feel like she's been quiet.
Speaker 5: There's a new show, so it's on our TV. It's with s titties, Heidi, Marsha, Marcia and Marsha. They're all living in a house and being queens. You know what is doing now is a woman in Paris.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, she left the country.
Speaker 5: She's she is a woman in Paris. Literally I wanted her to do us get a salon, but hey, people have.
Speaker 1: Different because that bitch with want some hair, that bitch the fact that please yeah did amonaire? But sorry, that was a very long long wave before.
Speaker 2: But yes, I will, yeah, we should reconnect.
Speaker 6: I'm interested to see what this week's episode is going to give because this isn't it the third Brad and discuss.
Speaker 2: I will I sure wear bracket. I will I love that?
Speaker 6: Okay, Petty Peas, here's what I want to say. Why what gets on my nerves?
Speaker 2: Okay? What really jams my clock? Particularly in work settings?
Speaker 6: And this is something that I feel like I've only experienced in communicating with men, white men specifically, but men, uh, when we're having a conversation and there is a gap in understanding or like you know what I'm saying is not something that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: It's gonna take some work for us to get to a place of share understanding. There's always this assumption if they don't understand that I'm confused.
Speaker 2: So a lot of when you're talking, it's like, no, I think you're confusing.
Speaker 6: It's like, hold on a minute, Nathan, I'm not confused, you're confused.
Speaker 2: I'm very clear you're confused, and I communicator.
Speaker 5: I have stopped.
Speaker 2: I have had to stop.
Speaker 6: Several people in their tracks at work because it's like, if I'm explaining something, you can say that what I'm saying is confusing. You can say that the way that I'm explaining it is not making it clear to you. You can you can own that, but you have to own that the confusion is yours. You can't project the fact that you're confused on everybody else that you're talking to. And I'm saying that because when I experience well I've never heard a man say that to another man, but there's a way that when a man is speaking to a woman, and not just me, I've also observed it happening between interactions that don't involve me directly. But when a man is speaking to a woman and he doesn't know what's happening. He will say like, oh, I think you're misunderstanding. No, Paul, you're missing understanding. You can say I don't know. You can say can you explain that to me? You can say I'm confused by what you're saying, but you can't assume that because you don't understand.
Speaker 2: We don't understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, I understand.
Speaker 2: You can say that you don't.
Speaker 6: Don't project your lack of understanding onto me. And that's my petty p because are you kidding?
Speaker 1: Russell? I will knock you out.
Speaker 5: Do you understand the worst that are coming over my mouth?
Speaker 2: Don't try me because I know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: They also fake. They also fake. It's fake confusion oftentimes for me to get their way and what they want. Short story, When I was in college, I worked at Popitos and you had to slide your card to put in the people's order or whatever. Right, So we had different stations to go and put people's orders in. Yep, So I go to I go over to computer slide my card. I stopped putting my table's order, and this whiteboard comes over and hip bumps me and cancels me to slide his card, which automatically cancels my shit out. So at first I'm like, of course, I'm like there's no way he's that all day like you playing, but like I'm not with that right now, so can you stop? So I was like hey, and he was a big white boy. He's about your size XD but think about me and a nigga your size that's white. And so I was like, come on, start like cut the bullshit like and so I moved him out the way and I slide my card skad this nigga did this again, So I said, oh, you're not playing, like you're not kidding right now. I was like stop because we're going to have a problem and I'm gonna get fired, Like stop it now. And this nigga called me a bitch. Whoa huh call me a bitch?
Speaker 2: What's the issue that he like, go first? He should go first?
Speaker 1: Like what, like is there is no explanation as to why you bumped me out the way and then you're calling me there was nothing? So he calls me a bitch and I was like okay, and I knew what was getting ready to happen, and I was prepared to lose my job. And because he was a big white man, I got that right in the throat.
Speaker 8: Throat shint, and I was like, throat good.
Speaker 1: It was more like a throat fists bump. Okay, it wasn't quite a punch or I didn't snuff up. It wasn't a chop. It was more like a So he fell out because he's gasping, you know what I'm saying, because there was a wind pipe and he was big, the bigger they are, and so he falls. The managers are freaking, oh my god, Oh my god, Jake, go back in the office. I was like, I gotta put their order in. They were like, on the witch table, We'll have somebody. I was like, they need it now. This is already too much bullshit. No, go back in the office right now, Jay, back in the off jail.
Speaker 2: I'm punched and went back to work against Sasin.
Speaker 1: I tried. They were like, no, they had somebody else.
Speaker 5: Like go back and take their order.
Speaker 1: Everybody saw what happened because it happened on the floor right The computers are on the outskirts of the floor, so it's not my table. Would have been confused as to why I go back in the office, I get every fucking manager in there. Okay, Now, when you work at POP you got a GM, you got a floor manager, you got the kitchen manager. Into everything. And I was like, oh, it takes all of you. They were like, what were you thinking? I said, look at the cameras. He bumped me out the way multiple times as I'm putting my tables ordering. Now, how would you all like me to handle that? When I have asked him several times to stop doing it. You could have gone to another computer. I was like, you're putting this on me and I don't fuck with that. I said that white boy knocked me out of the way multiple times. Now, do you want to put that on the record, because I'm happy to talk about it. They didn't want that kind of smoke. So I got sent home for the day and not fired. But they never put me on a shift with this motherfucker.
Speaker 5: Good. See, that's why I operate off of them. I'll kill this all.
Speaker 1: Exactly like the US government. We all going together, you understand.
Speaker 2: You, it's up to you. We all going together. How about that.
Speaker 1: They're entitlement and they're entitled, even and even within conversation is infuriating, it's out of control.
Speaker 6: It's wold because it's very much like nah, and I just it's very clear, and it's like you wouldn't say that to anybody else exactly. So why do you feel comfortable? Oh no, I think you're misunderstanding. Oh no, I think you're misunderstanding. Like, let's be clear about that, so we can get to a place of clarity. I'm even happy to say, Okay, I can communicate that better or differently. That does not mean that I'm confused or ignorant. It means that you don't know, and we can get to a place. Yeah, it can get we can get to a place where we know. But I just think you have to be careful. You let people say that kind of stuff to you. That stuff follows you.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, then it's like.
Speaker 6: O Takiya doesn't communicate this, you know, that's like you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, So you gotta nip that in the butt and do it right away. But that's the pattern that I have noticed, particularly as a woman in the workplace, and it's very much like, let me help.
Speaker 2: You damn get get the hell out of here.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: That also lends to a larger conversation about how unqualified most of them are for the jobs they're in and they're only in those jobs because of who they are as people. And I'm not gonna have that now because we've gone off the rolls multiple times. But they're confused because they're dumb and unqualified.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmmm. They're embarrassed by it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then they want to make the fact that, you know, they want to make you some sort of anomaly. Oh, Tikia, you have such a knack for this. It's like no, sis, I got a PhD. I went to school for many years. I went to school for many years. I know exactly how to do this because I trained to.
Speaker 1: Do it because unqualified.
Speaker 2: That's the difference between you and me.
Speaker 6: Okay, I trained, I trained, But that's a different conversation. Well, right when petty pet your oh, I just did mine. It's a white boy, and I think I think I'm irritated. Yeah, I just you know, sandwich it into your sink. I'm irritated because they never put me in another shift with him again. And you know, I play the long game with my enemies, and I have a very short but potent list, and so that white boys forever, it's up.
Speaker 1: It's stuck. Also, Dawn who used to work in a grill who lives off the Q train, bitch, I haven't forgot you. Thirteen years later.
Speaker 5: Thirty.
Speaker 1: Thirteen years please thirty years later, it's still stuck, all right? Oh, XD, what's your penny?
Speaker 5: I have been thinking about this for a while, So this this week I was blessed with the opportunity to go see a film called Scary Movie twenty twenty six. Oh, I've heard this.
Speaker 1: Isn't it like the Tail? It is, it's it's it's fast and furio. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah we we Jada and I saw it and it was fine and all that stuff. But what really pissed me off is the after effect of the movie. Right, And it's kind of to your point to key in this idea of when and I guess to me is like working as a part time comedians, sometimes I hate when people like try to defend jokes or sometimes especially like like when the Kevin Kevin Hart roast thing came out, there was so many comedians going out to defend and extend their necks out for no fucking reason. It's okay to shut the fuck up. Sometimes. But AnyWho, so when it came so when it comes to this movie, you know, it's art. You people are able free to interpret the way they would like.
Speaker 1: Art is.
Speaker 5: You know, it's subjective. Some people call it art.
Speaker 2: It is a motion picture picture.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think the movie. If I'm going to be complimentary, I would call it hot, garbage and cheese.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say it's stunk. What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Like that is as far as uh compliments go for me? Like Cats, the movie was better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how deeply uncomfortable. We all felt looking.
Speaker 5: Uncomfortable, but that was interesting to watch. This was I could have been at home and saw this on the YouTube. But what irritated me is the fact that like, oh, you don't like X comedy or you don't find this comedy, you don't find this funny because X, Y and Z and I understand that comedy is subjective and stuff, but there are just some things that are categorically unfunny. But honestly, you should you got the money, right, you know what I mean? You don't have to beat down my throat about why I need to like this movie. I bought the ticket part and.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't have to like whatever the cases and movies like. It's okay, bro, I don't have to like it.
Speaker 1: I don't have to like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I and I and I think that's what I get irritated about, Like just creators in general, how they feel embolden and entitled to your like because they think social media likes or real likes in real life, but people think that they're entitled to your favoritism, your uh what you find to deem as an escape mechanism, right, And it's like that's super dumb, right and selfish, right, Like I think because everybody's moving this this individualism, right, because I always talk about how the I the idea of the algorithm is going to kill us all psychologically because the fact that everybody thinks everything is around them they can critique it, make everything to their liking and not realizing that they're blocking out the world world.
Speaker 2: Or your opinions and preferences in that way.
Speaker 5: Yes, and it is.
Speaker 2: It's unrealistic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's unrealistic for you to to move about the world thinking that you can always dissociate or remove yourself from uncomfortable things and people.
Speaker 2: That's not real life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think My petty people ultimately is people who are afraid of friction.
Speaker 2: Conflicts, different conflict.
Speaker 5: Big difference because if I if I were to say, if everybody in the world would say, I like this fucking movie, then they're gonna keep making the same horror movie.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, yeah, correct, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean, Like I need there needs to be critique and honest critique about things and the way we live and have honest dialogue about things the way we get to a better understanding of who we are as the people to make a path forward to being better.
Speaker 6: Yes, And we can be critical without being harmful, without being dismissive or out, without being violent or negative or problematic.
Speaker 2: We can just simply say you know.
Speaker 6: Or we can push, we can interrogate, we should question, We could be curious like that's natural and normal and those are the things that keep our brain engage. I think this is super important now because all of this consensus and going along, it's really just helping the people not to use their brains in a way that is concerning.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, m And I love that idea of the algorithm because it's true. It's ruining everything.
Speaker 8: You see.
Speaker 1: Another component of white supremacy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course warn dust, but hey didn't They don't believe all their own ways and that's another conversation. They don't trust each other. But that's not me.
Speaker 2: We gotta pay. Yeah, we have to pay for the back that they don't trust each other and justifiably.
Speaker 1: I'll just maybe if you would just be better, you won't put so much effort into the things that just don't make things better. It's so crazy.
Speaker 5: They got to redefine better and ship like that.
Speaker 1: We don't have that kind of and they may not anyway. Thank you all so much for listening to both Jada and next D and getting grown, getting Jada NEXTD.
Speaker 2: Getting Jaden next D grown.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, thank you to doctor Winder yes and sharing such an important and necessary conversation. Once again. You all can find the links to the book in the in your various description boxes across the board. Uh and sister take them out and tell everyone what to do.
Speaker 6: Okay, I will, oh, you know, just say thanks and hay and to all of the Jaden XT audience.
Speaker 2: I love to hang out with you guys, so I just want to say hi.
Speaker 6: And also to everyone, y'all know how we do we want to make sure that you are moisturizing your mind. And you do that by minding your business, okay, not worried about what the other people are doing. You got to let them do them, and we got to worry about ourselves as a people. That feels very pertinent to stay algorithm.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: Secondly, you want to hydrate your body, right, That's how you keep your body moist and supple and growing and agile, especially.
Speaker 2: Around your joints.
Speaker 6: Okay, you because very poor and as we age, hello, so drink drinking your water as much water as your body can sustain every day.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's how you do that.
Speaker 1: Cocon Oil is also good for that, absolutely.
Speaker 6: And finally, speaking of coconut oil, you want to moisturize your skin, Okay, but not with coconut not because it's not comemotogenic.
Speaker 2: It will clock you. But yeah, so make sure
Speaker 6: That you are moisturizing your skin, which is your largest organ and that is foundational and fundamental to making sure that you're black does not crack, because it will if it's dry by eye way, yes, moving