Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty nine of five and five. It is Friday, August sixth I am your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuke and Jeffrey Petron Nostro.
Speaker 2: Why don't we start a standard Craig about you guys.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's meant yeah, well, I I apologize for any current and future performance problems. Today I was woken up three hours after I went to sleep by news that one of our cats had just peede on our bed. And so that's like a whole that's an emergency situation.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're aware of this.
Speaker 1: I'm not criticizing my spouse here. It legitimately is you got to change everything on the bed obviously immediately. And it like this has happened once before when there was a problem with like their litter box. There was not today, to be clear, but there there was a problem with it once before, and like she had done it while we were not in the bed, and it sat and like came real close to ruining the bed. Cat p is one of the most just one of the worst substances on Earth.
Speaker 2: I mean, the worst part about it is that like the first time it's a warning. But the second time you got to write it up right, Yeah, like three in the morning. Yeah, there's paperwork here. Yeah, three in the morning. I'm just going to sleep. At least, at least, I will say, Craig, at least you were woken up by being told that the cat had pete. Yeah, my wife by the cat, and my wife had a worse experience. Absolutely, I mean no doubt.
Speaker 1: But regardless, it's been a disjointed morning, let's say.
Speaker 2: After a disjointed week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after after after more generally, yeah, which people people like I I by the way, I meant to say this before, but like shout out to the Discord.
Speaker 2: I love the Discord.
Speaker 1: I know I'm not in there constantly, but I do check it and it's great. So I I you know, they left us up.
Speaker 2: Patrick joined the Discord. I've forgotten how you're joined the Discord.
Speaker 3: I remember Flash five and dive.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah it is you.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the topic in there this morning. It's like OTP advice. And if you know the kind of people that are in that discord. One guy said, oh, I just started a league with one hundred teams and have it run fifty seasons and I look at it after.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that the OTV came up because I said, like I play it on her.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: It's like the Dodgers or whatever I want to be. I actually haven't played OTV in a while, but ye, but like I don't think I'm a look like people. People love restrictions, right, I mean it's like speed runs or whatever. Like my point was not to someone said it was like a flex and I didn't mean it to be one, but like people like the challenge.
Speaker 2: That is something people seek out.
Speaker 3: Craig training for games done quick.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is, but okay it is. It's a semi annual charity speed run event. Okay, everybody is very supportive, but.
Speaker 1: You know there's there's like doing things no, you know, people try and complete runs with no hits and what. God, I don't, I don't know what's happening. Don't don't suck me into this world.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: My point is people like restrictions as ways to challenge themselves. Right, So like this is not news and I don't I don't know why that gets anyone.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get into it. That's that's my banter. I suppose, yeah, and and and an.
Speaker 1: Apology for a rough start to the show. Jeffrey or Patrick, anything you want to bring to the table.
Speaker 3: So yesterday was back to school night. Oh wow, we made it. We made it through the summer. I never want to do this again. I don't have to do it twelve more times.
Speaker 2: Well, this is at a certain point. It won't be twelve. At a certain point they will just go in the room and ignore you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's fine, but I will say.
Speaker 2: That seven more times.
Speaker 3: They do three, they do three sessions or whatever, right, because like some people have multiple kids at the school, right, so you got to go, oh right, yeah sure. But like so we went to the early one, which apparently every single other family in the school. And this is like K through nine or K through eight, K through ader K, I don't remember. Okay, so it is not a very big parking lot. We'd park on the street. We're already running late. I realized when I got there, I don't know where the first grade classrooms are, Like I know where the kindergarten classrooms are, and I assume the first grade classroom, Like I don't go further into the school than that.
Speaker 2: The entrance and speaking of it, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't even think that as I assumed they were around the corner from the kindergarten classrooms. But it's not like signed, like there were no signs.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey School is actually a dungeon crawl. Yeah, and then each each grade you have to get a little further in.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's it's like meaning the hollow where there's no like yellow paint, is how you where you're going either, it turned out it was upstairs and then the kid decided she had to go to the bathroom before, so we were a little bit late for the for the first grade meeting. So it goes good. So does a kid go to school night?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the teacher and stuff like that, right, Yeah, I guess I'm.
Speaker 1: Thinking of the they do back to school night and then they have like the parents have to come back like pretty early on.
Speaker 2: Also, it's like a separate thing. I don't know, it's some school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our parent teacher stuff is like more like actor. It's like pretty far into the year relatively sporking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta get a you gotta get a representative.
Speaker 3: Sample size, yes, of the kid of the kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't, you know, what like some babbit throwing off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like every kid is Jeff Frankore on Labor Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. There's something I don't know. I feel like, for some reason, back to school, and I didn't involve our kid going back, but that seems weird now that I say it out. Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean we do start super early here too, and again before Memorial Day. I assume to avoid most of the hot weather, although it's been like one hundred and five for the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Avoiding avoiding hot weather by going outside in August, got it? Uh? Yeah, my My school does not start for I think three more weeks, which is good because I have to teach in three weeks. Actually I'll get like a week or two of grace spirit. But because I'm also decay and uh, it's a co op, so I have to teach a class. And last year I TAKECHD tests and it was easy. This year, I decided to play hard Bode like Craig, and I decided to invent a class to teach, which is I'm going to teach basically board game design. Okay, I don't know how to teach experience in board games. I have experienced playing board games.
Speaker 1: That's that's different than design.
Speaker 3: Is experience playing video games.
Speaker 2: So you know, I've got a vague sense of what I'm going to teach. Like we'll talk, we'll do probability. We'll spend you know, we'll spend a class talking about probability and the concepts of probability, right, and then we'll start talking about like what makes a game interesting? Right? What makes something something worth playing?
Speaker 3: Is this just an excuse to like have them play board games so you don't have to deal with them for part of the class.
Speaker 2: Well, no, God, it's worse when when kids like you'll have to manage them playing it, which is gonna be absolutely worse than just letting them play. But like, I'll just like basically, I'm definitely on this trip. I'm going on trip. But so by the way, guys, see you guys in two weeks. So I enjoy two weeks all of you without me. But I will have to spend some time like figuring out what it is. We're gonna spend nine hours in the in the next three months talking about well, figure out it'll be it'll be interesting. When I was when I was a teacher. I was a bad teacher. And one of the reasons why is because I needed to control every moment of the academic period. I felt like I had to float shart like literally every single thing that could happen. Uh, we are not doing that this time. It's going to be We're gonna everything's gonna be up in the air. So it'll either kill me or it'll be fine. On that note, it'll either kill me or it'll be fine is a.
Speaker 3: Good way to Patrick is taking a bunch of children into Katan and they will either die or for a very important place.
Speaker 1: On that note, let's go to our first subject, many early returns. We had some, uh, I guess let's look at some first starts, some first performances after the trade deadlines, same face, new place as sports Center way back.
Speaker 2: He used to put it ah with some rough starts.
Speaker 3: Jeffrey as a whole, the group did not.
Speaker 2: Much like this pod. I would say, some rough starts.
Speaker 3: We don't everyone has a trade deadline hangover.
Speaker 2: We don't know if Freddy pearls that was tainted by cat, but we don't it would have an effect. It would uh possibly course field had an effect although how long has it been since pitching it course has been bad because the effect of facing the Rockies is better than the effect of pitching it course. Like I feel like, I don't know, I'm I don't think fantasy, and it seems like when when my pitcher was heading the course, I'd be like, oh, sweet, two starts this week, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, well, not except for Freddy Peralta. Yeah, you have seven runs in like four and a third, I think something like that.
Speaker 1: Some of that because it was the Rockies. As Patrick noted, the Rays did.
Speaker 3: Win this game, maybe, yes, I think, yeah, mate, they scored early. I think it's like seven to five at when he left, and they tied it and then won an extress. But yeah, like I again, if you assume the Rays have a plan for Peralta, they haven't had time to implement it. And they said to send him out to pitching course on extended rest too, because obviously they pulled him from his start on I think it was to start Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I guess, see that's why.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing that's why they just sent him out, regardless they had the slot and he had he had been on a lot of rest. But all so, it does seem like you might want to do everything you can to avoid your new pitcher in the in the org, like throwing to a new catcher, Yeah, you know, going out there in course.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean the other option is usually just Ian Seymour. So I don't know if that's better or worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or I mean for or yeah, or a bullpen day or something like that, but I don't that's also really just do a bullpen day in course is also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a look they're gonna like so it's this will be a sort of like a recurring theme, right, like, especially for the rentals. I think almost everyone we're talking about our rentals. The you get one bad start, that's like ten percent of what you're getting out of the guy, right, Yeah, but that kind of stuff does matter. But also you can't really control it. And you know it's the old they put their chips in. They're going all in with Freddy Peralta, and what happens next they have Look, they have some control over it, right, They can tell Freddy Parolta to throw this pitch more, or throw this that pitch less, or pitch into the sixth, which he certainly did in this game. But like we know, it's the old joke. She and variant swamps everything you can just like you got to get the guy and hope the guy pitches to the guy's career.
Speaker 1: Norm Yeah, I also think, like, like you said, it's ten percent, but it also the quality of every individual start ends up mattering more in a lot of ways, right, Like you can have the bad starts and then like if he's you.
Speaker 2: Know, like what it is over the.
Speaker 1: Like he actually does on average is less relevant than like can does he end up winning them a three to one game later?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: There's you know, like their WPA for that start was probably terrible, right, and well like his ray d R line on his Baseball reference page will be bad now pretty much regardless, Right.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really matter in this It's very right, you're not creating thirty two starts. And the other part of it too, is like they got into pitch in the playoffs and they're going to make the playoffs pretty much regardless, right, So it's going to be more than ten starts.
Speaker 1: As much as I call them frauds, it would be staggering to see them miss the playoffs at this point. They they if yeah, if they missed the playoffs.
Speaker 3: I honestly I know they mathematically can. I don't think they can.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I just I don't. I don't. I don't think.
Speaker 3: So, Like the third wildcard is two hundred five hundred right now?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, again, I staggering. It's probably understating.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, this would be the worst collapse in baseball history.
Speaker 2: Yes, well is it? I get Yeah? What's the gap be in? I don't understanding in front of it? Well, it was last year. I mean, technically they both made the playoffs, but the Tigers in the Guardians last year was like twelve games of their.
Speaker 3: It's about that.
Speaker 1: The Tigers made up ten games and it had been ten ten games before, so I don't it would be white that. But well they're oh there. I'm thinking of the seven en gap from the from the Yankees to the Rangers. They're four and a half up. It would be twelve games Patricks, So it would be it'll be close.
Speaker 2: The Guardians were fifteen and a half back in early July, ten and a half back at the end of August. Okay, so if you split the difference, it's about it would be about this point yeah, which is in fact that the Tigers managed to make the playoffs and then win a playoff postseason round. Like, it's so weird that we have to talk about those those things at the same time. I don't know, did the true playoff collapse is the ninety five Angels, sure, because they at least got bumped out.
Speaker 3: Part of right now is just the sheer number of teams. They're the one seed right now, right, the sheer number of teams, it would have to play significantly worse than down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and also, well, you you're saying the Angel wasn't there wasn't there an Ale East one that was like ten eight games?
Speaker 1: Well, the Red Sox, right, yeah, that was the one where Dan Johnson the Rays.
Speaker 3: On the day they lost to the Orioles on a walk off too. In that game, Dan Johnson walked it off of the rais.
Speaker 1: But that was fewer games, but much fewer, much less time, much less time, right, it was like eight games in three weeks.
Speaker 3: That's like, do you do you consider like the Mets seven up with seventeen to play worse than it's very bad. I consider it very bad, to be clear, But that was also like it's a binary thing, right, They just got out played by a team for those seventeen games. The Rays have so many teams between them, they have so many outs here, right, Like, even if they played really badly down the stretch, besides the fact that like one of the Rangers, Mariners or Twins would have to catch them too.
Speaker 1: Right, right, and somehow Casey Miyes was worse. Yeah, yeah, speaking of the former Detroit collapses, Casey Mice three and a third, nine hits, eight earned runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and this is two where like the Padres one two out of three in this series, I believed in the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they won yesterday, So.
Speaker 3: Like it's things you'd like doin all three. This is the team you're directly chasing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, Mice, uh oh sorry, it was a four game set. They split it too well. Never I'll never get this right. So basically mys was okay through two. He gave up a run home into Timtawa. But then the third and the fourth inning, I think it's this third inning, the home and then fourth inning he just gave up He like allowed six reach in a row. Yeah, it was it. Uh.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if we play the sort of like you know, soft factors here, like you're changing teams, you're moving, you gotta find a place to live for the rest of the season. You're working with a new catcher and new teammates, and you like you gotta then go out and try to pitch right, like directly in like a direct playoff, you know, more so than even peralta direct like meaningful game in August for the San Diego Padres. But also sometimes Kathy might is just gonna go three plus and give up seven rons.
Speaker 2: But it was a lot of singles. Sure, like it was like not grounders through the hole or anything, but like it was it wasn't It wasn't like there there was the one home run on what's kind of a mistake pitch, but like after that, it's just gonna happen. You're gonna get these sometimes in better news dustin May, Yeah, looked like good dustin May. Sure in Milwaukee, Yeah, the Brewers.
Speaker 3: Six innings, two runs, move on. Well, it's just like the.
Speaker 2: Brewers are just like how it feels like they've won sixteen games in a row and now I know it's the that's the Red Sox to me. But like every Brewers starter. Now just like six innings, two runs, Kyle Yerson came back and struck out ten over five did have to leave the game with both legs. He's yeah, Logan Henderson, Oh god, no, yeah, thank you your friend of mine. Logan Henderson six in two runs as well.
Speaker 3: Untradeable Logan Henderson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can see why. Yeah, it would be. It would be a fireable offense. Patrick, I do j I don't know if you're aware there was there was a comment left on on Jared Jared's piece. It was it wasn't like arguing with jareded really, it was just very good. I highly recommend people check out Chart's Peace the Kaleidoscope. I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: But but someone presumably a Brewers fan, said it would be a fireable defense if Matt Arnold had traded Logan Henderson.
Speaker 3: Look, I like he's been helpy for like fifteen minutes in the last three seasons.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to say this also, I don't know that I even have a problem with someone. If someone's point of view is I don't think they should trade Logan Henderson for a variety of factors, whether it's it's his quality, his team control the combination of those things. Whatever, it is not a fireable offense, Let's get a grip, Like, let's just get a grip. It is fine to say I don't want him to do it, I don't think.
Speaker 2: He should do it.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah. Everything has to be as history onic as possible, like if my if my team makes my tummy anyway shape or for him, we need to fire the GM basically.
Speaker 2: And like I just I want to say this acknology and I don't even want to say I don't want to sound reticent in saying like acknowledging. But like Logan Henderson's really good, Like Patrick, No, I.
Speaker 3: Think you would certainly argue that, like I don't know, Luis Payana, Logan Henderson and Jet Williams would have been an over pay for Yes, yeah, I think the Dods, like even it's not a fireable effense that the Dodgers deal you can look at as an overpay too, but like, yeah, sometimes you have to overpay to get well what you want in a situation is.
Speaker 1: That Andrew Friedman quote, we're going to make deals where the value is underwater, but we want to because of the quality of the.
Speaker 2: Team that we have and what what it means for the postseason.
Speaker 1: And again he behaves that way, and I understand he's able to behave that way in a in a manner different than Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: I'nstraints. I don't argue need to operate that way. I think more than one should. Probably, Yes, I have.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with Milwaukee not wanting to trade Logan Henderson. I get and I think it's justifiable. It is also justifiable to to trade a schooble and thus not a fireable offence.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just want to put that. Well, that's the funny thing about it. This to me is and we talked about this a little bit on I think we talked about it some where in the Trade deadline show. Gotten to if I remember anything I.
Speaker 2: Said for I wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, if that is your attitude that like Logan Henderson, trading Logan Henderson for trek School is a fire leal offense, you should be way fucking more pissed about the dust and May trade and what they gave up. Like yeah, and I guess, like I don't know if like Ragsdale and Frius, just like you would think among Brewers fans, Freus and Ragdale would be bigger deals than they are based on their performance this year. But maybe I don't know if it hasn't gotten to the wider fan base, like they're gonna be top. I don't know if they're gonna make the one on one, but they're gonna be in consideration for it, certainly, right down to the wire. You treated two of them for Dustin May and Jojo Romero rentals, Like I know, Henderson is more of a sure thing in so much that he is on the Major League ross, healthy for now and pitching well. Like it's the same, it's the same math equation. It's just guys you haven't heard of yet, basically.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which I've I have not had a chance to read it. But there is apparently an article up on ESPN from Jeff Passing inside the school negotiating trade negotiations, why the Tigers chose the Dodgers, and there are there are some tidbits.
Speaker 3: There are some tidbits. You you've seen them, I've seen I've seen some training shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one I've seen is, uh, the payroll gap apparently forces teams that do almost everything right, such as the Milwaukee and Tampa to spend their existence considering whether really really trying to win is worth it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: The answer almost always is no, Yep, there you go anyway, Dustin may so tired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the single gap doesn't need to be this big. It's the thing, right It being this big is a choice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, dust and make six innings, uh, three walks, five strikeouts, only three hits, let's good, it was and a hit by Patches as a complete Dustins like he's.
Speaker 3: Got a better field defense in front of him now, so that's gonna not that the Actually he might not even have a better Yes, I take that back.
Speaker 1: I mean Milwaukee's is very good turing versus Weatherholt and probably gotta go a Turing but not like Weather holds a slouch.
Speaker 3: Short verse win. But yeah, I will take win, but like it's not I would take win as a player for sure. I think he's a better defender too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, David Hamilton at third, I don't know, yeah, I also yeah. And then we have a series of Mets relievers making their debut.
Speaker 3: So you decided to trade for a Mets reliever, It probably didn't go great for you this week Brooks, Raley Gilpahome run to Brady House, a game tying home run against Brady House, then let the go ahead run in Later in that inning, Phillies tied it but then lost in extras because a lot of very uh Phillies can't be normal and God bless them for it. Stuff happened, including Josey Alvarado first and second, two out walking the next two batters, which is the thing you can do.
Speaker 2: Mm hm uh.
Speaker 3: In Minnesota, a j Mentor had been fine in his first two outings, but then give up home run, go ahead or go behind? I guess home run to Michael Massey that cost a Twins a game.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just shocking to me to find out the Royals are still playing baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, And for some reason, the White Sox tried to in that already alluded to Red Sox White Sox game. Uh, the White Sox tried to get four outs from Hostcar Rasavon, four out saved from Hoscar Razavon. It did not go well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was was there? Not available? No?
Speaker 3: They used Taylor or they used Taylor and like the Andrew Miller fire man roll, and then they brought in braz Abahan. I think with a guy on third and two outs in the eighth, which is not like as someone that you don't Brama is not a strikeout guy, like you can just get it out there, He's going to give up contact in like a grounder could find a hole. They ended up backpicking the guy at third and they just told him back out for them.
Speaker 2: But he also didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't like I think he threw a pitch, but like a couple of pitches, but like, yeah, but then he gave up two runs in the ninth to tie it, and then a bunch of other shit happened after that.
Speaker 1: Basically, oh boy, yeah that was That was a wild game and the Red Sox are unstoppable. Basically, the Red Sox trailed I think in almost every inning, like every half inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they kept scoring runs when the White Sox scored more. Basically right right.
Speaker 2: I think they came back like five different times.
Speaker 1: And then there was Tarrek Scooble started against Chicago good, I mean, six strikeouts, six innings, two earned, but the second earned run was I forget.
Speaker 2: It was a little weird. How how a guy got on in the first place. I think but I know they scored.
Speaker 1: Nico Horner went after a high pitch high for Nico Horner anyway, and somehow topped it straight into the plate and then it just took a monster bounce and a run scored from third.
Speaker 2: Baltimore chop teams should be doing it more.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't like the chop where it's like in front of the plate. It went straight off the plate and then just hung up forever.
Speaker 2: I take it back.
Speaker 1: There was some hard contact on him. They had runs at second, third, They threw a guy out at home the.
Speaker 3: Play before home run Dany Swanson in there, and he.
Speaker 2: Gave earlier home run to Swanson. But in general looked yeah, sure, yeah, you knows.
Speaker 3: Are playing better than they have recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. And we can pretend that you could intentionally Baltimore shop like pitch has been back when pitches were sixty miles per hour, and you can you can do something to supposed to just desperately make contact. We still have that with bunting. We still think, oh, you should be able to bump perfectly no matter what the pitches, but we the Baltimore chop is gone.
Speaker 3: Are your left handed hitter try to Baltimore chop Jacob Mezowski's cutter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Dodgers will not make it to the plate before the ball is in the catcher's cloud. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Uh, the the Dodgers have lost six in a.
Speaker 3: Row, Yes, by the red stop. That's fair enough, everyone is. But yeah, and honestly, the Coups have been playing very well, been playing very well. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers' playoff odds in the last seven days have been unchanged zero point zero difference. Yeah, it doesn't it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's matters.
Speaker 3: I guess home field throughout the playoffs, right, because the Brewers are now currently the one seed.
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, and I think Atlanta is right there. Atlanta's ahead of them too, so they're the third seed right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I get it mattered. They didn't seem to care last time.
Speaker 2: Look, it's hard ruining baseball. You have to do that and win games at the same time. It's it's a lot to ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they're certainly ruining the baseball on the field.
Speaker 3: Oh jeez, I didn't realize Atlanta's back to twenty five over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They've seventy wins. Dodgers have been stuck stuck on sixty nine. Yep for quite a while.
Speaker 1: We'll go on to our second segment and the reason we're doing this podcast at all. Jeffrey, is it it is fraud watch?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I did say it was me?
Speaker 2: Floor is yours? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So the Cleveland Guardians were stet by the Mets this week. I Look, I watched a lot of these games, mostly because I was curious about the new Mets bullpen. Look, I got to watch Christian Scott and Olan MacLean, which I try to do when I can. This Guardians team again, sort of like with Patrick and the Padres, like just not a team I paid a ton of attention to this year, and I expected them to be very much just the Guardians that we know. And I'm not going to say love because we don't. But this is a bad baseball team. Like I don't want to judge a team just off you know, the three game drop in, right, But there's like, outside of these three game there's a fair amount of evidence that this is a bad baseball team. I outside that they should have won the middle game of this set. They were they had two outs in the ninth and I think it was.
Speaker 2: Chio.
Speaker 3: I think six and thirteen since the Yeah, Brocchio bo a fairly easy ground ball from Ajau going to tie it. You know, the day before Gabriellarius made an error that eventually let three runs score. I think it was a three run homer in there, or a run in a two run homer. Idn even immediately DFA the day after, so like, yeah, that can be a little bit. And they lost like what thirteen to six yesterday and it could have been like twenty to six. That's left a million runners on base in the process. You can have a serial who just like everything goes wrong right, Like Rookio is a good defender, you've actually make that play. Arius is a good defender, especially I think it was playing third. You expect them to make that play, like but man, like I watch Slee Chacconi coming out of the bullpen repeatedly and just like what what what is going to Kate Smith ended up getting a blown save, which was a little unfair, but also we loaded the bases before that error happened.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 3: The things you expect from the you know, the eighty seven win. Cleveland Guardian Division winner just doesn't seem to be there this year, you know, first and foremost like Hosey Ramirez not being good, but also like, yeah, the pitching in this series. We didn't include Foster Griffin and sort of the you know, early returns, but he did not have a particularly good start yesterday, they're still starting. Joey Cantillo and a baby had been better recently and was I thought he looked okay, and that started, he gave a bunch of homers, which was a problem and something he does do sometimes. But like they don't, you know, do you remember like the tweet like a few years ago that like you know, your favorite team can't do this, And it was just like a from like the Guardians, which is like a series of like seeing eye singles basically like they were really pumping the way they stuff.
Speaker 1: Their account got really pissy about like guards ball and we do it different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like that kind of stuff, like they don't they haven't been right like that's.
Speaker 2: And it's worse.
Speaker 3: It's worse like it, I think.
Speaker 1: And so like you said, Ari Scott d Fade, they traded one Brito years ago. Now they've traded Tenna. They like they had this this slew of up the middle interesting ish guys and basically Rochio can't hit. I know, he's kind of okay, like generally speaking, has not been able.
Speaker 3: To like it's gonna be Hanale just I think. And that's like they they found their guys.
Speaker 2: Eventually, right, They just brought up hanw.
Speaker 3: Ye on how Martinez is hanging around.
Speaker 2: To of course no longer a middle infielder.
Speaker 3: But yeah, of course, but like yeah, like Kazier Maras has been as good and like in some ways this is a better offense. They have more balanced offense.
Speaker 2: And it's more balanced for sure.
Speaker 3: Right with bringing in Adele and Low and like Adell.
Speaker 1: Have you guys know Stephen kwansops plus is up to ninety five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been really good recently. Yeah he had like a twenty five game on bas streak or something. He's getting back towards Stephen Kwan.
Speaker 2: He helped them unfortunately on the season.
Speaker 3: But it's just like this was like I'm watching them play the twenty twenty six Mets, and I'm like, hey, the Mets with the better baseball team in this series. And again it's not just one series. It's craigmuch and they're three and nine in their last twelve, six and thirteen since the All Star break, and like, I don't know where the look. Obviously Mesk and Williams didn't pitch in the series, and that was to the benefit of the Mets, but that's only forty percent of their rotation the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you looked at era, which is not necessarily the best way to do it, Like, no one has been bad, like outright bad out of outside of Chicane, who they replaced with Foster Griffin, Right, So if you look at it that way, like they're trying to shore up their.
Speaker 2: The issue.
Speaker 1: You know, Joey Cantillo walks too many guys but also misses more bats than everyone in their rotation except Kevin Williams. Yeah, I don't know, I mean, Gavin Williams. I think this team could look better than you're saying, Like, again, you missed their two best starters. It is only two starters, but it is their two best starters. And if you judge a lot of teams by their three through five members of the rotation, they're gonna look pretty bad.
Speaker 3: A lot of those pictures have him beating the Mets this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do think like Williams seems to be his last couple starts, like in one of the he gets in a groove sometimes where he just doesn't give up hits.
Speaker 3: He's walking fewer guys this year too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, he's been really good on balance, but he he looked like a cy young guy. I remember Matt true Blood wrote an article about some of the changes he made early on in the season.
Speaker 2: He looked really, really good, and he's been good, just.
Speaker 3: Not yeah, like like, I think he was probably a little bit hit lucky last year too, in the season where you know, he led the league in walks and still had a.
Speaker 1: Sure But I'm just saying, let's let's run down his last five starts. Okay, I'll start with the furthest back seven innings, eleven strikeouts, one walk, six innings, eleven strikeouts.
Speaker 2: No walks.
Speaker 1: He did give up five earned but still seven innings, eleven strikeouts, no walks, seven innings, twelve strikeouts, one walk. And then against Arizona before this series, five and two thirds, ten strikeouts, one walk.
Speaker 2: He's on at the eater like that is.
Speaker 1: That's five What is the record for consecutive starts with double digit strikeouts and one or fewer walks, Like that's let's get opta on that please, Like that's that's a hell.
Speaker 2: Of a run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just looking at like a year. You're eated three point oh six rr last year, so it wasn't under three but close enough, right, Like, it's he's given up a few more home runs, but not a ton more. It's mostly you know, it's it's strand rate. His strand rate has gone from eighty four percent to a more normal seventy six percent. I think he's probably pitched better this year, right, Like, Yeah, I assume all his expected stats are better than they were last year, since he's striking out more guys and walking fewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, just you look at again, if you want to look at something as advance quote unquote, but a basic advance metric like FIP, and he's got a three four FIP this year and it was four three nine last year.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's going to be full run lower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's going to throw fastballs to the top of his own and they're not quite at the top of his own. They're going to get head out of the park every once in a while, like he is going to be a little homer prone, but you know, you take that sort of in the as part of the total package. You just accept he's going to have a home run for nine rate over one. It's the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I mean, like I I hear you.
Speaker 1: I'm not I don't really want to argue in favor of the Guardians.
Speaker 3: Especially after they got swept by the Mets, especially if they're.
Speaker 2: That's swept by the Mets. But like I I don't know, I agree it's not.
Speaker 3: A good team, right, They're still I think actually their one game half game better better than they look in that sure, but they've they've also six or thirteen in their last right, Like it's absolutely it's becoming a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then there's the Mariners, say, yeah, yeah, they they are about to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary team and they're celebrating it in the most Mariners way possible by bringing us back to the early Mariners thubs. There's a lot of nineteen eighty two, nineteen eighty three Mariners going on right now.
Speaker 3: Again, Like they're you know, uh, game and a half out of the wild Card and three behind the astros and it feels like they will be all yeah, it does feel like this is the this is just where it is they did for you from I'm gonna watch Mitch Garver.
Speaker 2: Though, yeah they were. Mitch Garver is out, Rob Refsnider is out. I'm not sure, like well you know why now? Yeah? Why not a month for four months ago? But uh yeah, Taylor word. But then Luke Greyley also out for the year, like instantly, I think he was actually basically done before, but he like the man is gonna make him play on it because they didn'tyone else to play. And yeah, you know, Johnny Parade is up, so you got your thirty year old career backup catcher Weston Wilson still on the team, like yeah, back Brendan Donham in his back.
Speaker 1: Yes, we throughout that that podcast. Yeah, we kept saying like they're waiting on him. It was ours the day before we posted.
Speaker 2: But like JB. Crawford's still out, so cold Emerson in his twol one batting average and two sixty ovp are still in the lineup, and.
Speaker 3: This is the pitching hasn't been quite as good as you'd have hoped sort of, I think probably like with the Guardians, right, Like the Eras don't look awful, but based on the quality of picture, you'd expect them all to sort of be a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Logan Gilbert leaves starters in strikeouts per nine at nine point four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was not. That's not like what you think of the Maritors, right, you think of a lot of guys throwing five innings the game but striking out seven in those five hittings.
Speaker 2: Right. And also, it's not like the defense on this team is good. So if you've got you've got all these pitchers who are suddenly giving up more contact and it's going to you know, seven guys.
Speaker 1: George Kirby I think is the biggest issue. Sure, if we're talking about the rotation, like and and he hasn't been outright bad, but he this is a guy who was a dark horse for the cy Young repeatedly, like a lot of people really liked him.
Speaker 2: I really liked him.
Speaker 1: But like he there's he had two seasons where his walks per nine were basically one right where he led the league. Last year it was two point one. This year's one point nine. One point excuse me, but like that's double. Yeah, essentially, and and he's losing strikeouts. Last year he was up closer to ten. This year he's at eight. So like he kept the walks and lost the strikeouts and and.
Speaker 2: Still leads the league and hits aloud, which he did in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: But because he was right you see, he's always around the zone. Yeah, I mean, I guess he's always around the zone.
Speaker 2: Right, Like you do have to wonder if he was one of the pitchers who most got punished by the by the the rise and Wikes walked around the read because of Maybes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's interesting. I don't I don't think there's a good answer. Like I the thing is that like the Mariners, we're talking about trading one of these guys and Kirby's name did come up. They don't have anyone to backfill, and well they have Kate Kate Anderson. But Kate Anderson is gonna have to fill for like em, we're staying cock next week, right, like somebody will be injured between now and when the podcast goes up, because that's how the Mariners have gone this year. It's you know, yeah, right, they call Kate Anderson.
Speaker 3: The starters have been a little bit worse than last year. The all has been a little bit worse than last year, and the offense has been a lot.
Speaker 2: Worse and the bench and the bench has been exposed, which it feels like it should every year. This year in particular, it's feeling very exposed. Yep. Yeah. I mean with Donovan Beck if he I don't think he's a you know, one thirty ops plus guy like he's he wasn't a small sample, but like the competency will will do a lot for this team. Yes, it with cal and Josh Naylor are both hitting the way they are, I don't team can.
Speaker 3: And Julio hasn't. We keep talking about like a second half Julio, but now we're at like third third Julio. Now her fourth quarter Julio, and it's still a one fourteen Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is this is where he did that one year he did take off was like just August was one of the most scendiary things seen. But we're also a week into August now, and look.
Speaker 3: The main reason I'm calling them fraud is they couldn't get a run off Drew Anderson and then lost fourteen nothing yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's I think the Tigers, we don't have this as as sure a subject, but like the Tigers and Orioles are both a game out of a playoff spot.
Speaker 3: Right now, I mean selling.
Speaker 1: There was some discussion in the comments of Maddie Maddie's piece on the Rutchman trade from Baltimore Folks, and it was like pleasant discussion, to be clear, but like there was kind of a sentiment that like on a on a production and timeline aspect, like trading Rushman wasn't as big a deal as it, like that the Oriels weren't really taking as big a step back as as it kind of seemed. And I don't know that I agree. I understand where they're coming from.
Speaker 3: Right, he's not playing right now, right, so it's like he's not playing, which.
Speaker 1: Is part of their argument was that like he's not on the field and it's not clear when he's going to be on the field, which is absolutely fair and but but you know, like they also traded Tailor Ward, who was I don't even I'm not gonna I'm not really gonna try and defend Tailor Ward, but like he was their one productive outfielder.
Speaker 2: I don't it wasn't great production. I don't like the shape of the product, but he was the one like it's hard to say this wasn't selling on the season.
Speaker 1: Now you can sell in the season and the al is so bad, right, that's the thing that it doesn't matter, Like you don't I don't.
Speaker 3: Think you get to use that argument when you're three games under five hundred and still in a playoffs, right, Like you don't get to say, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's particularly they were insane. It was actively like not.
Speaker 1: They were just kind of saying like this is over selling, like they're not going into a rebuild. Which if you want to quibble with rebuild and say it's a reset or reload or you know whatever, I think that's fine if you prefer one of them.
Speaker 3: To say that, But like, what are they going to say when they trade Gunner Henderson this offseason? Then do you get to say it the rebuild like this is a probably probably yeah yeah, but this is like, you know, there's some noise here, but there's some signal here too, right of what what that plans are.
Speaker 2: It can be both a good trade and also feels the Rustman trade especially felt like an off season trade. Sure, it's it's the sort of deal you make in the off season where you're like, we are going to we have looked, we have the we have all the time to evaluate, and we have decided this is the direction we need to go. When these things come together in two days of the deadline, it does not feel like it could still be the right move.
Speaker 3: I think some of it if they got the Red Sox to pay a premium here, Yeah, because Rushman for the rest of the season, and you know in a situation where the where those additional wins that he gives you over Connor Wong are going to be very meaningful, and it.
Speaker 2: Could be just a price because he's healthy for the playoffs, which seem very like if they seem in a very very.
Speaker 3: Good position for the place Crochet is throwing now too.
Speaker 2: So it's just never going to feel for Baltimore on these kind of traits like this was part of a calculated visionary plan.
Speaker 3: And as you can.
Speaker 2: I do want to be clear the commenters were not arguing that, but I've seen so about it, like it's just kind of like I get it. I get how you can react that way about it.
Speaker 3: It's just you can say, like we're gonna like this is just you know that we took the deals on the table, and I know your GM is, Like, I know your GM is, Come on now, this was You've also got the owner saying I spent three times as much money to lose more games. So that's always something you want to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he did say something about how it's like a civic responsibility to try and win, which I guess you would want to hear. I don't know if you want to believe I would say it. Yeah, I know you're Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the other part of it for me was I don't think you can take this trade in a vacuum. Sure, right, like Michael Lias.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's unfair to say Michael Ias prefers to rebuild strong, but the cashing in the prophect. He does not want to be on the other side of this trade, right.
Speaker 3: He wants to get you know, the eighteen years of control of the two pictures in India Zokar.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, well that's what I'm saying, Like, I don't think he wants to be on the other side of this, and he missed his windows and so when you trade Adlie Ritchman. Whether he's on the field or not at the time, and whether most of his bounce back season happened in April or not, it is just because of who he is. It is symbolic, right, he was the one one.
Speaker 2: He was the start of this when his arrival, When when he arrived, it was there the beginning of their ascension. It is. And I'm not saying that part matters more than the on field part. It doesn't, but it's part of it. It's part of the context of the move and whyatt feel, you know, whyat why we wrote what we wrote in a lot of ways. You know.
Speaker 3: The other part of it too is like for all his you know, consternation about by trades and things like that, like if he has been as he claims, you know, keeping staying up at night thinking about his prospects. You should all don't know which prospects of trade in the by trades. And look the Corbyn Burns trade there. They did not get burned on that, right, No, Like Burns came in was very good. I know we didn't. You know, he pitched well in the playoffs in the one game that he pitched, and like everything and like Joey ortiz Is had won pretty nice. You know, I was a bench guy in d L Halls or Relieve they can't stay healthy and all those weeable when they made the trade, if you were ironically though.
Speaker 1: The smaller move that they may I mean not that it's really I think it's worked out for both sides, right, But the Trevor Rodgers looked really bad at first, and then he traded Kyle Stowers was good and it's been fine. Now Rogers has been more than good enough. Sure since the rough start to compensate for that. But you know, it's not like he's killing the smaller trades where he's where where they're giving up kind of the less premium prospects for less premium guys and making something out of it.
Speaker 2: Right, So I don't know. But I also think, like we haven't talked about Detroit that much, but like, if Detroit makes the playoffs, is it a victory for Scott Harris or does it look more foolish than keeping I'm serious, Like what makes the playoffs? In one sense, if they get bumped in the first round, it's going to look pretty.
Speaker 1: Bad, right, Well, right, I guess I guess that that's the answer is it depends what they do. But is that fair if it's all post talk, Like, is that fair? I mean they here's the thing about your point. They're a game back and they have a plus eighty run deferential. Everyone ahead of them is essentially minus thirty or work.
Speaker 3: The Tigers were probably better enough than the rest of the team in this wildcard race that they could lose their two starting pitchers, their two best starting pitchers this year and id even what you think about Troy Melton and still be better than the teams around them for the third wildcard spot, right, especially after calling up Max Clark, I think to supplement that out guild, Like I don't think it, But what it does do is they're going to go into a playoff series with Troy Melton and Kyder Montero.
Speaker 1: Right well, I think they're going to go into a playoff series health pending with Troy Melton and Jackson Job and River Ryan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How many?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How many innings? Like if you want to use Jackson Job and River Ryan as part of like you know, pitching chaos with Brent Herder and Kyder Montero, like fine, and they might they can do it. And look, that's but they could have done that anyway for Game three behind Schooble and Myze, right, like, if they wanted to. I think it is going it. Look, not having Terry Scoobel and Casey ma is going to impact their ability to make a deep run in the playoffs if they get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, let's take a break and we'll be back with the rest of the show. We're back with episode five hundred and sixty nine of five and Dive. We are on our third segment, Slow news week.
Speaker 3: Mh, it hasn't been a slow news week, but no, there's been some stuff though. There has been some stuff.
Speaker 2: I want to start with the second.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll get the exact quote.
Speaker 2: Then that is that well, because Jeffrey, that is this is to me, Yeah, the essence, ye the soul of slow news weeks. And also and also such a good summary of how baseball players yeh think, yes, how they behave with each other. Weird mythos of the this is this not rock it's just close to baseball gets And then one of the reasons why is that it's not trying to be funny. No, I think it is.
Speaker 3: If you look at showed Himna's face in this photo, and he is a big grin on his face. He's like, you want to see the photo?
Speaker 2: Here? Does see the photo? Also, you want to know what I have for breakfast today? Like, I'll just tell you some facts.
Speaker 3: So anyway, at foul Territory TV showed him. Monaga credits success in his past nine starts to changing his phone lock screen to this photo of Ben Brown on the training table, which he calls Lucky Benjamin cry laughing emoji.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I I would ask when you post this if you could link.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I won't put it to the photo. I will describe it. It's just like Ben Brown, like face down on one of those little like toilet toilet seat shaped massage headdress.
Speaker 2: It's where you put your face.
Speaker 3: It's where you put your face when you're getting their.
Speaker 2: Massage in your back or whatever. Uh it is. It's a but yeah, this is just this is dude's rock to me. Yeah, this is, by the way, Lucky Benjamin good friends with Sleepy Pete. Yeah. What about spooky heat, spoaky spooky heah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love this, not Lucky Ben, it's Lucky Benjamin makes it fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, Uh, I have nothing else sad at. The first item was Ronald Rakunya Homer's off to Marlins.
Speaker 2: H and as as our doc says.
Speaker 3: No, not like that, but also but he did have two home runs. He did have two home runs off. One of them was off to Marlin's outfielders.
Speaker 2: Yes, well it was really off one outfielder, but.
Speaker 3: Did not get like the full like pinball, like tilt. I feel like he like hit.
Speaker 1: No, Patrick, you asked a philosophical Yes, I did, and I thought I thought it was valid.
Speaker 2: For the show. It's really like because when I watched it, I had a particular reaction, and I'm curious how many people had my reaction, how many people have the reactions. Basically, if you took then if you filed off the names and the teams and just saw this animation as just like a thing, a baseball thing that happened, like if you saw it like a high school game between two teams you didn't care about, are you more likely to be excited that the thing happened or feel bad for the two outfielders that it happened. Because I watched it and I went, oh, those poor guys.
Speaker 3: I actually do feel I feel a little bit bad because they.
Speaker 2: Were both making the good conversion.
Speaker 3: Better communication there probably, yes, but like that was a.
Speaker 2: Spot where it was actually like above average defense for either of them to get to there, like it was in the gap. And so it's like, oh, I did show the clip after you asked that, Patrick, I shared the clip to my wife and her her reaction was ultimately feel bad for the app y. Yeah, I mean, also it looks like it hurt, right, Like there's that that already she did.
Speaker 1: She did say, like, I do feel bad for them, but they are professionals and they're supposed to they're supposed to be able to communicate, and.
Speaker 3: That probably game right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I think I I think on this one, if we did a poll, I can feel bad would win? I think so too. I think I think because.
Speaker 3: It's not funny enough. It's not like hitting off Jose's head, right, It's just she.
Speaker 1: Did delight in Ronald mccunya just stopping at first base, being like.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was good, that was good. Like I don't trust this, but like if it weren't for the injury factor, then because you know, when you know, when when you see Jose can say to be hit in the head. You're like, oh, did he actually crack his skull? Like is there damage here? It was just like yeah, exactly. You need you need both the players to hop up and give the thumbs up, you know, and then then like okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Speaking of hopping up, Yes, Jeffrey on this year, he sure is h He's that a long road.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's an incredible backstory and.
Speaker 5: A lot of time.
Speaker 2: I did see someone say he stopped playing for five years, but he's been was that well before because he's been pitching the story in the Dominican Winter Leagues and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, so like, uh, I forget the Diamondbacks Org. I think I don't remember exactly, but basically they wanted to send him back to the DFL for a third year. He just left the team to become a roofer and then like he was pitching semi pro. I think he was probably pitching a winter ball too, but didn't get back into like affiliated baseball Okay, So it was affiliated ball okay, and that has like he's bounced around. He was with the Rockies. I think last year the Mets signed. Look, he's been he deserves to me up. He's striking out twenty batters for nine in triple A. Like, yes, he throws one from the left side with a good slider, like this is is it that hard? I always yeah, oh yeah he was. He might have been a little amped, but it's it's gonna be up nineties. And but if you know about Jeffrey On, you know about him for his strikeout celebration, which he does every single time he gets a strikeout. Not only that, if he gets two strikes on a batter, he starts doing it after every pitch in case it is a strikeout, you' mi. He is in mid air when the ball is hit. When it he wouldn't made it to make a play on it, but there was one up the middle for a base hit, but he was. He gets like yeah, he is the probably the best argument for pictures as athletes because he had like the hops on it. The actual way he gets there is impressive.
Speaker 2: And now here's my reaction, and this this is more an indictment on me than anything, is that there can be metrics about this, right, I want to say the aging curve is demonstrated by the height, yes that he gets on these jumps because as he hits.
Speaker 3: With the Hawkeye. How high he's getting.
Speaker 2: Those are cameras, Yeah, they can, they can absolutely measure that. I mean, we're getting released release, we can definitely get.
Speaker 3: So he did, he did get. He did get two strikeouts in the inning and did the Uh. The best way I can describe it is a pre fight animation from a tech and video game. Basically, he jumps.
Speaker 1: Up, there's a very animated elements how he lands. Yea, it's not quite the superhero landing like, but when they launch into a like before a fight, but it's it's Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine the discourse that will happen the first time somebody with two strikes hits a comebacker?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I mean I don't. I mean, I don't caricature, but I don't.
Speaker 3: I think it just I do think there is at this point, there is the best one.
Speaker 2: Until until there's a fight, like like someone will get there will be We were red asked about that.
Speaker 3: We have been discussing, like what what game and team it will happen. My current pick is next week against Matt Chapman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a long tough season alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Tello, I don't think has a leg to stand on here as a college coach, though, because all the dumb stuff they do, they're also the ones that are so for Gilbert the one that like got ejected from the umpire had to like push him up the first baseline when he was a Vitello because he was like watching the home run.
Speaker 2: Uh so.
Speaker 3: That's the they did prep Keith Hernandez. But what was going to happen, but he was aware of it.
Speaker 2: When I was what was Keith's reaction?
Speaker 3: Keith was like he's like before he Keith was not happy about the existence of this thing. But then Gary asked him like, well have you seen It's like, I don't know what it actually looks like. But he was just like he like a little some old man grumbling.
Speaker 2: There would be a good article about the reaction.
Speaker 1: I just feel like I feel like Keith would experience.
Speaker 2: Real grief over this.
Speaker 3: I think I think he probably is, like it.
Speaker 1: H it hurts, it hurts him.
Speaker 3: My favorite moment in the Jeffrey On inning, he had up like loading the bases. He had two singles on a walk in there too, but uh he struck out chased the latter on a check swing where he probably didn't actually go around, but he did not wait for the third base umpire to signal to strike. He just went and did the celebration. Anyway, he might have seen it out of the corner of his eye in midair. I don't know. I don't know if he can pull out once he starts, But I mean it.
Speaker 2: Is a little to pat you spints.
Speaker 1: It's a little like the strut, you know, like you're trying it, like it's it's just like, yeah, I got it, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He got asked in the postgame, what does he say? What it had feel like? Play people like or.
Speaker 2: The batter taking the close pitch for ball, it's time to go. Uh.
Speaker 3: He got asked in the post game, like, what do you say to other players that you know might be a little offended at you doing that?
Speaker 2: After?
Speaker 3: I don't think about other players. I don't think about it, yeah, don Draper, I don't think about them. Yeah, basically, And look when you throw one hundred and one and strike out nineteen for nine and look like, but my favorite moment is going to be But I don't know what player it's going to be. Maybe JT. Real Mudo tries to hits a home run off and tries to show him up by doing it at home plate and just like completely blows out their knees, like you like, this is a like this is a crazy athletic move. If you look at him, he's like tall and like kind of wiry, but like again.
Speaker 1: Is not attempting to you need someone's he's too much of a veteran.
Speaker 3: Yeah you Frnando Tatooth the Padres next month. I think.
Speaker 2: That's that's possible. Yeah, I was gonna say, like I think I think like I don't think he'd do it because I don't think he'd taken enough offense.
Speaker 3: But like Bryce Harper, sure, yeah, I don't think Bryce would care.
Speaker 2: I don't think Bryce would do it.
Speaker 3: Would be like a little annoyed and perhaps like amused by the whole thing. But he's not good yet.
Speaker 1: No, no, I don't think he has the temperament to try and do it, but like he like he also I think.
Speaker 3: Also like a lot of these players that would do it, like past it like I can't. I'm not gonna I can't physically do that. I'm old, Like I'm not gonna like, yeah, I'm not gonna use my finite baseball life energy to attempt that, Like, it's not like I can just do the avenue Rebay crotch chop back at him, right, yes.
Speaker 1: Right, right, exactly exactly, and then we have a pronunciation update.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we I have not seen any from the listeners, but I was distraught to learn one. When I was writing up the Jeff Hoffman trade, I couldn't remember who exactly was in it, so I searched Jeff Offfman Trade, and I learned that what I had been saying Desson Hill.
Speaker 2: For the last how I would have said it two years?
Speaker 3: Uh, it just said Desson Hill rhymes with Jason.
Speaker 2: Does it is it? Is it a weird like d Jayson or.
Speaker 3: Jason Hill.
Speaker 2: I thought you were telling me it was Jason Hill, and I was like, I don't like. I don't like that D is j in this situation. But it's a much more standard name.
Speaker 3: I suppose it's dayson Hill.
Speaker 1: Jason Hill, Okay, sounds less like a sedan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Dotson Hill over on Dotson Hill. Okay, Jason Hill. Got it.
Speaker 1: We'll go to our fourth segment around the Horn. As we mentioned earlier on Hell, hanw has been called up for Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got hits in his first four at bats to yeh.
Speaker 2: Didn't he gets error himself?
Speaker 3: He made two. I know he was game losing, but he did make two errors on one play.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere in the in the central Jeffrey and I played a brief game right before the podcast. Well, while Patrick was retrieving something was who played short stop for the Minnesota Twins this year?
Speaker 2: Can you it was four names?
Speaker 3: Four names?
Speaker 2: Patrick? Can you get two of them? Well, I mean Tristan Gray was playing in the game. I went to, all right, big advantage. Well brooks Lee has played it for a while. Yeah, yeah, that's thank you. Do you do you know the any either of the other two?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Pro and I forgot some of the others. All right, I'm looking up and no, I did not remember Orlando. See it was on this team. I can't believe Orlando is thirty one years old. That's wild.
Speaker 3: Also, Ryan Criedler, Oh right, sure, sure, I'm not gonna remember.
Speaker 2: Now it's gonna be Calen Culpepper Jeft.
Speaker 3: He's fine, you say, incredibly large group of average tools and can play short stop, so he's perfect for the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Patrick and I were discussing this before Craig got on, and I'm feeling like there's like some early Jorge Polanco vibes here. The better shortstop than Polanco, less power probably, okay, yeah, but like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Look forward, I look forward to him playing first base for the man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think to seventy like a four to fifty or sorry, to seventy was like a seven to fifty. Oh ps there you Okay?
Speaker 1: Did you did you want to? I know you said what Hanaw did? Do you want to have a small rundown on.
Speaker 3: His Yeah, one of my favorite prospects the last few years. Yeah, switch hitting middle and fielder, a little bit more power from the right side, makes contact from both. Uh. They played him a third ones and second ones probably like he did not acquit himself great defensively at either of them. But uh should probably be the short stop long term here.
Speaker 2: I think he's not.
Speaker 1: He's not quite as good, but like as an overall player.
Speaker 3: They're gonna play Bazana and second, Ramirez at third, so you got to find a spot for him. And he's a better overall player than Rokio, so right, I think they'll just keep kind of like obviously Ramirez is dealing with a hand issue. You know, you can sit Bazana against the odd lefty so they can find or Ramirez my dh some as well. That's more complicated now that they've added both low and a doll and addition to the water. So but I think they'll find four days a week for him down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Seems reasonable. We also mentioned Brendan Donovan is back. That happened again, I think, as Patrick said, before we got the podcast out, but we were they were waiting waiting on it.
Speaker 3: They were waiting on him, and I was waiting on the audio. The four hours of audio files too.
Speaker 2: No, not not. It was not a criticism.
Speaker 3: No, I would have headed out before he played if the audio files didn't take forever to convert because they were four hours long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was not. It was not a criticism. It was just that that they brought him back. That thing. Uh. I think we talked about this on the the podcast. Isn't we yea the interesting thing? I guess you know reporting on it now.
Speaker 3: That he turned it down.
Speaker 2: But he turned it down, apparently I was able to find that. I'm not haven't been able to corroborate that. Spencer Strider was supposed to be part of the package heading the uh, which is interesting. But yeah, so the break's gonna used to grumb they should have it's too bad. I'm It's like it's one of those situations for the players and every has every right to say no, and also the players.
Speaker 1: It's essentially like I'm a little surprised. I mean, I know he's I know he has like regional preferences or whatever. But Atlanta talk to you.
Speaker 3: Talked to Atlanta when he was a free agent too. Yeah he was not like not it's closer to his home, which is Florida, man, Yes, Florida man.
Speaker 2: It's so I am, I am a little surprised.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I I think he would have done it in the officeas then he might just not want to do it mid season mid season. Sure, sure, I do wonder if they revisit this, and like you're going at the obviously the Braves are going to make the playoffs, but like the Rangers might. It's that it's not like he's leaving in a spot right situation. Yeah, yeah, they're in a playoffs about right now.
Speaker 2: Nick Pavetta couldn't make it through a rehab start. So the interesting thing here, yeah, is that Pavetta has a option in this contract that if he spends more than one hundred and thirty days with an injury during this year or last, it's a fourteen conditional fourteen million dollar club option that kicks in, which might still be too much money for the brodtery instead of what he's got his His deal is very weird. He has I think he basically he had an eighteen million dollars salar for twenty twenty eight. Yeah, but now if he can't make it back, then that becomes a fourteen million ok club option, which the twenty down doesn't.
Speaker 3: He already doesn't he have an opt out to?
Speaker 2: I don't know if he is.
Speaker 3: I know it is a very weird contract. I's not for sorry, an opt out as well.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, he did have an opt out for this year. I don't know if the injury cancels the.
Speaker 3: Opt out or if he keeps the opt out. But if the option in, they get a yeah, yes, let's make let's let's make baseball.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the language. Yeah. If at if at any point in twenty twenty five or twenty twenty six, Paveta has a specified injury or related surgery, and spends one hundred and thirty or more consecutive days on the injured list in any season or one year period. San Diego will have a fourteen million dollar club option for twenty twenty seven. It was a fourteen million dollar player option, so it gotcha birth to a club option.
Speaker 1: And if the Padres decline, he's a free agent. So it's the same money, it just changes who gets to decide.
Speaker 3: Sure, right, the Padres will, It's entirely possible both sides here will still be happy for him to be a free agent declined as well, So right, and is he going to ad one hundred and thirty consecutive days? Like how much did he pitch this year?
Speaker 2: If he like, if this setback is really won't make.
Speaker 3: Okay, but also like the Padres probably want him back, like the incentive to get him back for the playoff stretch run.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think they probably their first will be last outing was April twelfth.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, yeah, that's that's not gonna Yeah, he's he's he's up against it.
Speaker 1: So it will be a club option. Now, look, I think the Padres could justify fourteen million dollars for Paveta for next year. That's actually probably a good rate.
Speaker 2: Right the.
Speaker 3: Medicals than anybody else too.
Speaker 2: So the harder part is they opt into as Patrick noted, eighteen million for twenty twenty eight. Yeah, I think that's tougher for them. So you know, we'll see, we'll see that isn't that's interesting thing to track just added to the dock.
Speaker 1: Herman Marquez DFA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did. I chose not to add that to the dock. We've done it.
Speaker 1: That's we've done it. It's happened. Hunter Green landed on the aisle. There was some trade heat around Hunter Green. It sounded like, I'm not sure what the plan would be for Cincinnati if they're willing to deal Hunter Green. But yeah, he's on the ile. And Tristan Cassas, who you've just remembered exists by virtue of jas has risk surgery. He definitely has one hundred and thirty days on the aisle.
Speaker 2: Yes, consecutively. The Reds, by the way, winner's the four straight and have passed the Pirates and wildcard race there four games back at the moment, who though the Reds the red their negative sixty brund differential second worst in the national League. That takes us to our game, which I will note Patrick, we solicited games from our audience. Someone provided one, yes, and you've opted against it. No. Yeah, mostly because I won't be here for the next two weeks and you can play again.
Speaker 1: Very kind, So we will also solicit games again.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, if you have a game the next two weeks would be especially one that they can play without one of them knowing the answers. Uh, this would be a good time to submit it. It'd also be a good time with them just you know, like I don't know, pay someone to make it. I don't know. But in anytime, we're going to play tenty grid, So go ahead and get yourself ready. Let me bring up a I forgot to bring up a blank version too to show you guys. Let's see, can I do that with the game I bereave played? Yes, I can, so I will put this in the chat. The categories for the listeners at home, we have on the columns we have the Athletics, the Blue Jays, and two hundred hits in a season. And in the rows we have the Minnesota Twins, the Atlanta Braves, and six reference war in a season. All right, so let me send that into you in a chat so that you can look at it. Which you guys, Which you guys wants to go first?
Speaker 3: I won last time. I remember. I think I went first last time. So Craig can go first.
Speaker 2: All right, Craig, you go first. Let me pull up my doc and okay, Greg A's and Twins, I can, I can. I tell you the first name that came to mind. You can't is Nick Punto, Nick Punto, I don't know it. With rich Becker, I don't. I don't want to go there. You know you don't, but but it is the first name that came to mind. The rich Rich Becker played for the A's right, he had, Yes, he did weird little combo.
Speaker 1: I feel like, sure, there's gotta be like a big reliever crossover.
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking of.
Speaker 1: Boy, don't I'm gonna I have Nick Puncho on reserve, but I'm gonna skip at the moment.
Speaker 2: I'm not coming up with Twins and Blue Jays blue Jays. That that feels like there's a real why am I? Queens and blue Jays? Boy, we're off to a rough star guys. Excellent, definitely Why can't I even think of anyone? God, this is horrible. I patrick, yeah, yeah, it's a is there? It's it's like, there's like an obvious one, right, it's pretty grim. Yeah. I can't remember because I can't remember my own grid that I did. I got six out of ten or six out of a nine on this one last time. Okay, Oh really bad. Yeah, I did not get this one. I will say, Okay, here was a fairly obvious one, is there? The score was twenty three percent on this category. Okay, I'm not it's not gonna go. I twins. Honestly, I keep thinking of ones.
Speaker 1: I'm like, maybe it's not this, but I can just say this and it's like borderline respectable. And then I'm like, I don't know if he played for one of these teams. Yeah, so that's that's pretty bad. Yeah, oh my god, Like what why don't they have any obvious ones?
Speaker 2: Again? I feel like this is oh, Jose Brios, what.
Speaker 1: Jesus, I'm sorry everyone, twins and two hundred hits in the season.
Speaker 2: Wins and two.
Speaker 1: Let's what do you have gotten there? Let's say Joe Mauer, he had a lot of hits, probably not enough as a catcher.
Speaker 2: Braves and athletics.
Speaker 1: Braves and a's uh. Let's we'll do recent history and say Matt Olson.
Speaker 2: Okay, braves and Blue Jays mm hmm, Braves and Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Fred McGriff okay, Uh, braves and two hundred hits in the season.
Speaker 2: So Braves, braves and two hundred hits in a season I would have. I I have to assume I have to assume Mpoon you.
Speaker 1: Got there on that that year where he stopped striking out.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, okay and a in six reference war. I mean it's probably like it's probably the one of the pitchers, right, or let's just do Ricky Ricky uh Blue Jays six reference war? Can I also go.
Speaker 4: Blue Jays and six reference war. Let's see, you have to assume one of the Vlad seasons that's that's most recent. I'm trying to think it's the question is like Vlad is most recent? He had the monster year like twenty twenty one, he would have been over it. But like Roy Halliday is the gimme uh? I feel like, but yeah, I'll go I'll go Halliday Okay, and finally he didn't get.
Speaker 2: There till Philly. No, he must have Finally, the two hundred hits in the season in six reference war in a season that just anyone anyone who, anyone great, who got two hundred hits on this I'll just go to Chiro, okay, and then back to twins. God, back to A's and twins. Do you remember is this one? Is this? This is like super obvious. I feel like I got it. Okay, it was it is the category that had the lowest high score. Okay, you know what I I don't have it. So I'm just gonna I'm gonna go with pa Okay, You're going with PoTA, all right, Yeah, I'm not gonna get it. It's we can admit defeat. If around and came back and had nothing and Nick put one, Okay, other people like minds with I don't know how many big people with Rich Becker. Well we'll never find out, all right, Uh, jeff Jeffrey, welcome back to the show. The number to beat is okay, Patrick got six, I got but the number to be is four. Okay, all right, A's and twins.
Speaker 3: You know, I try not to like spend too much time thinking about it to be fair, but like I did start thinking about because I saw this first one just like what it feels like it should be a tunnel. It feels like all of those Twins pitchers should have also pitched for the A's.
Speaker 2: Pitchers only pitch for the Twins.
Speaker 1: Tripped me up multiple times? Is I kept thinking of.
Speaker 3: Blackburn, Nick Paul Blackburn exactly.
Speaker 1: They're different, I think, but they're not really.
Speaker 3: I for some reason, I have in my head that Greg Gagney played for the A. So I'm just gonna go with that.
Speaker 2: A deep cut. Next Twins and Blue Jays, Jack Morris, all right, Next Twins and two hundred hits in a season, right carew all right? Next Braves and A's.
Speaker 3: Braves and A's. And I looked at this, I should remember it that it's Braves and A's. But uh, Matt Olsen.
Speaker 2: Next is Braves and Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, my Mark Wohler's picture both. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: You go with Mark Wohlers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: Braves and two hundred hits?
Speaker 3: Did I know Chipper had that season? He hit like three sixty, but he walked a lot and he missed time, like I kind of want to say, Eddie Matthews but if Chipper Jones has two hundred hits, he's definitely the answer and not Eddie Matthews. So I guess it comes down to do I believe Chipper Jones had although Eddie Matthews Eddie Matthews.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love how in a game called Trendy Grid. Yeah, it's just a lot of answer picks. Here A's and six reference born.
Speaker 3: A season, Rickey Henderson, Rickey Henderson.
Speaker 2: Okay. Next is Blue Jays and six born a season.
Speaker 3: I mean it's like a few different ways I can go here, like Vlad has the recency bias, Hallidays the more famous guy. I want to pick John Olerud, but I know it's not John Olerud, but shout out John Olerud.
Speaker 2: I will go with Lad all right. And lastly, sorry, I typed in the wrong name and you lost. Keep guessing six reference war and two hundred hits in a season?
Speaker 3: He true?
Speaker 2: All right? Uh, congratulations overlap, Jeffrey, Yeah, had some overlap, But congratulations to Jeffrey who wins five to four. Okay, you three that you've got completely wrong. Yeah, I don't see you got correct.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna think too hard about nights. I'm sorry, I'm just not all right.
Speaker 2: So we'll go through the A's and twins. The most common category on hundred and ninety eight overlamp it is Josh Donaldson fifteen. Yeah, yeah, that makes one more sense. Yep.
Speaker 3: I don't remember his like, I know he played for the Twins, but that just justice for Shredder though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Blue Jays and Twins. This this is a this is a real god. What's his name, Jim Tomy special, Jack Morris thirteen percent, not man but Paul.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I almost I thought about Paul and and then I I got scared I had.
Speaker 2: It wrong somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just that makes sense, but like I just saw that my check Morris, like.
Speaker 2: That was ye I forgot Jack Morris played for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Because bad in the playoffs for them.
Speaker 2: Actually Twins and j hit Rock Crew yep, yeah, correct, I thought about did didn't our get to two hundred?
Speaker 3: I don't like, I don't think he played it?
Speaker 1: Now, that was my that was my concern. I should have I thought about Carew and just didn't.
Speaker 2: Blue Jays and Braves is Fred McGriff That was twenty five percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should have gotten got.
Speaker 2: The Braves and two hundred hits in the season. Ronald the Queeny Jr. A real bad beat on this one. I will say, Creg thirty one is not the number one? Who is it? It's take Aaron. I don't know if that's okay, that's justified. I probably should have just said bank Arett. Yeah, said Ay Matthews. You might pick his more famous, better hitting teammate.
Speaker 3: Yep, well, thank, I should have assumed.
Speaker 2: But Jeffrey, you pulled it out because you've got the last three in a row. Correct, it's Ricky Henderson for the A's and six plus one. We all got that one. It is I also we're on the fence, and I went with Halliday as well, and then it is a tro for the six war season into it hit so that you both got that one. I went with Ted Williams because I always forget that Ted Williams has never gotten two hundred season. He will. I mean he's still he's still technically kind of alive, but I don't think he's gonna make it at this point.
Speaker 3: For tougher ara to hit it tough to hit it, especially.
Speaker 2: With all those walks. So yeah, congratulations to Jeffrey. You give.
Speaker 3: Walk more than bonds it is.
Speaker 1: I don't mind the bad beat on Incunia. I am frustrated at that. It came down to Vlad Halliday and we both we both seesaw it on it and and it went the wrong way. That is a little frustrated, but nice Win. Thank you for the game, Patrick. Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show with a game please at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com.
Speaker 2: We are wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Search for the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is now.
Speaker 5: I can't all this story.
Speaker 3: The vacancy.
Speaker 5: Can my most the fucking mother I can be answering all the