Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Ina. Let's get the seven o'clock hours started. Shaw We it is Kentucky Anda's morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee with you. And we now have a second time in the last couple of weeks where one of the national stories is a local story as well. It was last week whenever there was the shooting that took place in Lexington where the officer was fired at and then the suspect then carjacked someone only to then go and shoot and kill two people at a church. That of course is a national story. And then the sentencing yesterday for Brett Hankinson was was I mean the lead up to it clearly, I mean, there's this has been a more than five years in the making essentially, and yesterday he was sentenced to thirty three months in federal prison with three years supervisor release any one hundred dollars fine. Leading up to the sentencing, there was some chaos outside of the just in downtown Louisville, outside of where that took place, where the sentencing took place, because they're clearly people that I guess, I mean, I won't speak for anybody because I can't.
Speaker 2: But if you were.
Speaker 1: Protesting prior to that, I mean, why you're you know, why you feel like you need to do that. I'm sure you have your own reasons, but maybe it was because the DOJ recommended just one day as far as the sentencing for Hankerson, and you just felt like that was what was going to happen, and you wanted to protest and let you know, let it be known that you don't agree. So four people were arrested, one of those being Breonna Taylor's aunt, Bianca Austin. The charges for her were disorderly conduct and obstructing a highway.
Speaker 2: The other three were charged with.
Speaker 1: Various crimes disorderly conduct, highwaybstruction, harassment, theft by unlawful taking, and then, of course the visual that went viral millions of views across all social media platforms by all of the local news organizations that were there on hand to see it as the individual jumped on the Louisville Water Company truck and nobody was hurt, which is good. But the statement released by LMPD did emphasize they respect peaceful protesting, but they condemned unsafe behavior, and again they did charge that individual for jumping on jumping on cars in a Lois of Water truck, which she can't do. Louis of Water did confirm that an employee was caught up in the protest but safely exited the area. And I think the reaction from those that were very upset maybe in fear that the sentence would be very very light, maybe one day, which of course wouldn't have resulted in any actual time behind bars for Hankerson. Again, it's tough for me to check the temperature here. As far as those that wanted justice, did they feel like this was this was good enough? And again there's plenty of people who think that Hankerson shouldn't have had any type of punishment, And we've had a few people share their more than a few people share their comments on the talkback feature, and we'll get to that coming up here in about about seven minutes or so. I would I've got myself on a spot now, or if I start playing some of these for you, it wouldn't give me enough time, so we'll just spend the next segment dedicated to letting you hear what. At least a few people have chimed in to share as far as their thoughts on how this thing played out.
Speaker 2: But for me, I think if you.
Speaker 1: Just if you're somebody that is of the belief that Hankison was just was just doing his job and we don't need you know, they were there for you know, legitimate reasons because of what Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend were accused of doing, and he wasn't he didn't fire first, and you just think that this is all to appease those that are making it about her and her race. I just I ask you to just remove her completely from said situation. And that's not dac like that isn't a super humongous component in this entire story. But if you just look look at what Hankerson did and you look at what he had previously been reprimanded for as far as how he used his firearm as a law enforcement officer, I mean, if anything, it's it's reckless endangerment. And to not expect there to be any type of consequence and punishment for that, I think that is that is unrealistic. But I'm certain he'll appeal and this thing. I don't know when it comes to getting closure from this situation, I'd be the last to tell you sort of how that plays out. But this has obviously been one of the big, big stories here in our community, and I mean it'll be something people remember forever. But it does sound as if, at least there are some that are at least just happy that he's going to be going to going to be going to prison and he's not just going to, you know, roam free. All right, we'll let you hear what others have to say about this situation coming up in just a few minutes, but first let's get an update on traffic. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking here in the seven o'clock hour on a Tuesday, and we'll also get a look at the forecast today for Matt Melosavich WLKY. It's Kentucky and This Morning News with Coffee and Company right here on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: So, I was called out yesterday.
Speaker 1: In fact, I was called out last week too about mentioning the talkback feature but not not utilizing it. And I'm guilty. Sometimes I just get caught up in the show and I forget that it's there.
Speaker 2: So I do apologize.
Speaker 1: But we have a feature on the UET radio app that if you just click the microphone button, you can then chime in and you got thirty seconds to share really whatever it is that you want. And we've got some folks that have shared their thoughts on yesterday's sentencing for Brett Hankerson, and we'll let you hear a couple of different ones here and again, if you want to use the feature, it's super easy to do. Just click the microphone button and you'll be good to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that say you let's see think from the middle. But I am not heard cognition one thing at all on why he did what he did, who they were after I thought they were supposed to be in there, and the fact that there was a shot fired at Neil. You want to see in the middle, be in the middle.
Speaker 1: I will give this gentleman the benefit of the doubt because maybe he just hadn't heard me say that yet, because I did mention that the first shot that was fired was by Kenneth Walker and not by law enforcement. And I tried to make it quite clear that if you look at what he did based off of remove Breonna Taylor and him from it completely. I mean, even if even if these two individuals were accused of the most heinous crime and the warrant situation wasn't murky. You still should be held accountable for recklessly firing your gun, even if you are fired upon. I mean again, I mean it's I don't envy any law enforcement officer in that situation because I'm sure, I mean, look, you're trained, but some people spend many, many years in law enforcement and retire without ever having to draw their gun. So I'm not saying it was that. You know that firing a shot and it be it being an inaccurate shot is something you should be punished for, but it was a reckless way of just firing ten shots. That again, so I'm not at all defending the lifestyle and what was going on with Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend. And that's why I specifically said, if you just removed that element of it, which it's hard to do for a lot of people because a lot of people see this as well, Hey, who cares. She was a drug dealer, her boyfriend was a drug dealer, And you know, you play dangerous games, you win dangerous prizes, like I can't tell you how many time I've heard people say that, and this really what I'm saying has really nothing to do. Like, let's say their lifestyle was as bad as you claim to be, as far as being criminals drug people that were trafficking drugs. Let's say they were doing that, but ten times worse. That doesn't change the fact that you don't just fire a gun ten times and really have no regard for where you're shooting it when you end up firing through a different apartment. Again, that's I mean, when it comes to just the reaction to what was going on, again, none of us were there, so it's tough to say. But that's why I tried to make it clear, just can you know, take take out the component of of And it's not to say that that doesn't matter, because again, like they were, they clearly weren't investigating her boyfriend and her for a reason. But I mean, if you look at this individual, Hankerson, he had already been reprimanded for reckless conduct involving his firearm during other police incidents. There was at least one earlier situation where he fired his weapon during a pursuit that raised a lot of concern from his superiors. So I mean, if you have that already going for you and then you show up and you just you know, you you fire ten shots blindly into a dark apartment through a covered door, endangering.
Speaker 2: Other people, not just the suspects. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: You to not expect somebody to be held accountable for that, I think is foolish.
Speaker 2: So but but because.
Speaker 1: There's two sides of playing, you know, just I mean, because this there's clearly that are so there.
Speaker 2: There's there's division here clearly, and you've.
Speaker 1: Got some on one side to the extreme and the and and and another group of folks that are on the other side to the extreme. Nobody wants to understand that, like in a lot of things in life, both things can be true. So me saying that, yeah, he should be held accountable, and I'm not at all, I'm not surprised, and I understand why he was sentenced to thirty three months, It really doesn't have anything to do with me saying that, hey, uh, Glover and Breonna Taylor were perfect human beings. I mean, that's not that again, And I don't know, I don't know, you know. So I just think that if you really consider it from just what he did that night, and not consider who he was there to see, I mean, I think you could understand that, you know, he he'd already been.
Speaker 2: In trouble for ben.
Speaker 1: Again, the charge itself, that's where it gets a little tricky, because he wasn't charged with one endangerment. He was charged with violating her civil rights. And of course some have said that maybe they think that those charges specifically are to make it a little bit more the perception that they're trying to be sympathetic towards her and those who believe that she was targeted in her life didn't matter because of race. And again that's what a lot of that's that's what the root of a lot of this is for folks who are very much upset with the entire thing in the way it's played out. But here's another quick comment, and this is this one, of course, is more so in line with sort of how I feel. Well, look, I'm not trying to change anybody's opinion. But that's why I specifically stated when it comes to just looking at Hankason how he acted that night, when I say take it out and consider just his actions, that doesn't mean that none of that matters. But when it comes to him being held responsible in getting a print a prison sentence. I think if you look at his actions that night, it's not a surprise that he would be held accountable. My question is, would people feel bigger about what happened with Brett can say he had fired blindly into the apartment.
Speaker 2: And stuck at child and fielded child. Would they feel differently about that.
Speaker 1: And that very easily could have happened and if it did, If it did, I mean, I don't, I mean, I don't even to think about what the reaction would have been for that. But and it's a blessing that that did not happen. But it's also I mean, so that clearly, like if you if anybody shows up, law enforcement or not, and they start firing shots and blindly and let's just say nobody was hit, but you clearly nearly hit people who were in their homes. I mean, you're you're gonna you can't do that. You're gonna be held accountable. All right, let's get an update of traving the weather. Also we'll get another sports update coming your way right here on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: John Shannon, it is Kentucky had his morning news with Coffee and Company NIT Coffee with you, taking you up until nine o'clock. Tony and Dwytt are gonna be live at the new is it the new Long John Silvers? I believe in Fern Creek, so that'll be fun. And if you are just now joining us, as you could expect, we've talked a lot about the decision yesterday from the judge to sentence Brett Hankerson to thirty three months in prison, and we'll continue to discuss that and once again in the eight o'clock hour, we'll let you hear more from those that are sharing their thoughts on the situation via the talkback feature on our iHeartRadio app. So your best bet to chime in is to use the feature that's right there on the app. Click the microphone button and you'll be prompted. You get thirty seconds and you can fire away. I also have another way in which we can introduce some interaction. I just want to make sure I get the green light from my superiors before I do that. Don't want to, you know, do something to get myself in trouble. But I have a text line that I used to use on my old show that is still available that the more I consider, just how useful it was previously. It can be utilized here too, But I just want to make sure before I start giving that number out and letting people know about it, that it's that it's that I'm okay to do it, all right. So last week there were some big news that seemed to be a real surprise to a lot of people, and that was that, UH, the the Late Show with UH with Stephen Colbert was was canceled.
Speaker 2: So on his way out, he received a lot of well wishes.
Speaker 1: From, you know, send offs from and in fact fact, these people made surprise appearances, uh for the sendoff for Colbert, which was Seth Myers, Jimmy Fallon, John Stewart, Adam Sandler, weird Al Yankovic, among others. And I'll admit I was I was uninformed of the drastic drop in viewership of these kind of shows, so I knew that he still was number one, and in those type of late night talk shows, which usually you don't see, shows that are number one get get canceled. But number one doesn't mean what it what it used to. So when you consider, I mean, the CBS does insist that the move was financial and it's not about the recent settlement of sixteen million dollars over that sixty minutes interview, and a lot of folks seem to think that the timing there was just not a coincidence. There's just a lot of people think there's no way that that's not tied into this decision to cancel Colbert. But they claim that it's not, And to be fair, they have some data on their side that I think could convince you if you're willing to be convinced, that it's not all a conspiracy. This show just is not. It's financially not what it once was. So if you look at the numbers just of a viewership, I mean, it's down in a big way, especially with younger audiences and a lot of younger folks don't even have traditional television anymore. So, just to give you an example, the Colbert in twenty fourteen, the viewership was three point one million per episode. In twenty twenty three, it was one point eight million. So we're talking about a forty to sixty five percent drop in less than a decade. Viewership among men eighteen thirty four is down over seventy percent since twenty sixteen. Only five percent of late night viewers now fall into into that group.
Speaker 2: So I mean that is a look.
Speaker 1: Money matters when it comes to these kind of things, right when it comes to overhead, as far as what you pay the folks that are on that show, you got to be able to generate a lot of revenue to not only pay for it, but to make it, to make it profitable. And late night ad revenue is down thirty percent, So I'm sure there are many that will always believe that this had something to do with the with the recent settlement with Trump and that sixteen million dollars pay day from that sixty minutes episode.
Speaker 2: And I can't I can't prove one way or the other.
Speaker 1: But I knew he was still doing well as far as his competition, But just that whole world of late night TV shows, it's just it's it's not what it once was. I mean, you look at Kimmel and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, I mean they're they're looking at I mean, they are still around as of now, but they have much less viewership than Colbert, and Colbert's viewership is simply not strong enough for CBS to continue to want to have it on the air all right, we got a quick update coming your way of traffic and weather, So don't go anywhere. Stick with us right here on news radio way forty whs. It is Kentucky and it Morning News. Here on news radio waight forty whas Coffee and Company. I'm Nick Coffee, John Shannon, he's with me here in studio. And you were mentioning just the cost of what it takes to just put the show with Stephen Colbert on television one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 4: One hundred million dollars a year production budget. He gets paid fifteen million dollars a year to be the host, and right now the latest figures is he's that show is losing forty million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: I mean that makes me think that it probably wouldn't have a shaker to see it canceled quicker than it was, because again the financial component, I mean, that's just business that doesn't make any sense. And I don't think anybody, even if you are the most optimistic about I guess navigating the new digital world and feeling optimistic about being able to loure any younger viewers who are now just consuming content on their phones in a very short amount of time, the likelihood of that show with Colbert being able to do it, it just is damn near impossible, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And and I mean this in this day and age, when we're a TikTok world with our attention span where we take it in thirty second bites at a time, something like what what Colbert was doing late night. I mean, I grew up in the days of Carson. I remember when David Letterman came on after Johnny Carson and when he went to CBS and some of the late late shows and stuff like that. But it's a different time now. That's back when you had maybe four networks, when Fox was on that little round Fox Broadcast TV was on that little round end and you can get Arsenio on there at night. But it's just the it's changed. These shows that don't change with it in some ways are going to start going the way of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to think about telling someone ten years ago, maybe even more recent than ten years ago, that you would have shows that are hosted and not on any type of traditional network, let alone.
Speaker 2: A TV station.
Speaker 1: But Joe Rogan, Mister Beast, nelk Boys and I'm sure I'm mentioning names that a lot of people don't even know, and I get it, but they get ten million views per episode. That is insanely more than what you were getting when people were tuning in to watch fallon Colbert and those kind of shows. So it's just it's I mean, I'm sure there are a variety of factors, and I think, you know, I'm not naive enough to think that the political component is not included to some extent. But you mentioned back when Carson was in his heyday. Of course I'm not old enough to remember that, but a lot of people, I mean, I heard a lot of people talking about Carson just with this news last week of Colbert, because he was He's a legend, yes, but it clearly was a time where you could rib both sides and just you know, it didn't it didn't mean that, you know, one was gonna hate you one way or the other.
Speaker 4: I think that's where where a lot of these shows have become niche and just appealing to one side. Carson would roast both sides, but he also have both sides on his show.
Speaker 2: He had Reagan on it, welcoming to both.
Speaker 4: He was welcoming to both, even though in his personal life and a lot of people didn't know this was he was to the left of Stephen Colbert and his politics. But you couldn't tell when he was on the show because he applied before Michael Jordan, before the Michael Jordan rule. He was applying the Michael Jordan rule. Everybody watches his show. Jordan was like, why don't you Steep speak out on politics left or right? He says, because Republicans buy my shoes too, And it's the same things. It's the same philosophy. I think with a lot of the old school hosts in television that's been lost on the ones today. And what to your point with Rogan? You know, it used to be when I was your age and younger, it was which presidential candidate is setting down with Diane Sawyer, who's setting down with Barbara Walters In the twenty twenty four election, it was which one's gonna sit down and talk to Rogan?
Speaker 1: And that if that doesn't speak to sort of the influence and the reach that you have, I mean, I mean, Joe Rogan, He's another guy that I just telling me long before he started his podcast that he'd be in this position today, I would have never predicted one, because I just didn't think that we'd be this far along with the digital world to wear so many people. And again, it's so competitive right now to get anybody's attention for a long amount of time, longer than five to ten seconds, because if you're not interested right away with what you see on a TikTok or on a YouTube video or a tweet or whatever it is, you just move on and keep scrolling or pop over right, yeah, pop open a new app. And that's just that's just the world we're end today. And I look, if I had the answers as far as how you navigate through this when it comes to terrestrial media trying to compete, I mean, I wouldn't be sitting here hosting this radio.
Speaker 2: You'd be running your own radio station exactly.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what the answer is, but I just think right now, this type of you know, this type of content, meaning the late night television shows, even if there wasn't much of a change and a shift in just the political side of it, and there wasn't the financial struggles that they're having with monetizing it, I just don't think that the younger generation. I'm not talking about children, I'm talking about people in their twenties and thirties. They're not exposed to this product. They weren't like when they became adults. It wasn't just a thing, well, hey, now I'm part of the crowd that's going to tune in and watch late night talk shows.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It just it kind of it kind of died off.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, and this is something that the generations before us have dealt with before too. The how is radio serials and radio shows that were on TV with all these actors in the studio going to adapt to television? You know? And then how is television going to a adapt to cable TV? And how is cable TV now going to adapt to streaming. It's something that as technology progresses, you either adapt or you.
Speaker 2: Die, no doubt about it. And you are right.
Speaker 1: There have been other examples throughout history where you got, you know, things evolve, But I think technology now being the factor makes it go a billion times faster and it's harder to keep up with It's always changing. And I don't envy anybody who's and clearly there are professionals in that industry but it's it's a challenge because again, it's just so competitive to get anybody's attention, and once you get their attention, you got to keep it, and you got to build it, and you got to monetize and by the time you figure it out there may be a new way of doing it.
Speaker 2: It's gone. Yeah, it's challenging. So good stuff.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us, John Any good stuff. He's got a newscast coming your way here in about ten minutes. We'll get to a quick traffic and weather update and then we'll get to a sports update.
Speaker 2: That's what we do here.
Speaker 1: It's Kentucky and This Morning News, Coffee and company. There's Radio eight forty whas