Speaker 1: A video called Son of an Area fifty one technician was making the rounds on YouTube in twenty fourteen. Someone ended up sharing something that stopped people mid scroll through the comments, and people wanted to know more and suggest to this person go back to this location and film his adventure, and that's where the story starts to go wrong. I'm Danielle, I'm Megan, and this is Off the Trails.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think I know what this one is and I'm very much looking forward to hearing the detailed version of it because I only know the surface level version of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this has been on my list since we started this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's definitely been like hovering there on the to do list.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited that you're doing it now.
Speaker 2: And if you are on Patreon then you are already aware that I have no voice. But for everyone else, yeah, we were really hoping that it would come back by now, but it's really doubling down on not wanting to be working. So, like we were saying earlier, it's a good thing. It's your week and I'm just listening with you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe better luck next episode, but if we record our next Patreon this week. There sounds like they're going to get this as well. Very sorry. All right, So the comment that kicked off this whole story was that ain't nothing. I'm a long distance hiker. One time, during one of my hikes out by Nellis Air Force Base, I found a hidden cave. The entwest to the was shaped like a perfect capital M. I always enter every cave I find it's but as it began to enter this particular cave, my whole body began to vibrate. The closer I got to the cave entrance, the worst the vibrating became. Suddenly, I became very scared and I high tailed it out of there. That was one of the strangest things that ever happened to me. So I guess I probably should have live in a little bit of context like that this video. I mean, I guess everybody probably knows what Area fifty one is for the most part, I write, well, maybe not international listeners. So Area fifty one is supposedly where there was UFO crash activity or I don't know. Now, I'm like, do I know what Area fifty one is?
Speaker 2: It's a restricted government area essentially where the I I think that there's speculation of like top secret experiments and projects are going on. And as you said, like back in the would it have been like the fifties sixties with like UFOs that were supposedly crashed there and the government found these aliens and were you know then just studying them and all of that, and that's where they're being kept. So to this day it is still restricted and there is government activity there and they do have armed guards that keep people from it. So it is very much real. The question is what is actually going on there?
Speaker 1: I think regardless of what is or isn't going on there, the mystery and the allure and the draw of it still exists. Yeah. So it's actually on like my bucket list. The closest town.
Speaker 2: To it, like the closest you can legally be to it, it's this town called Rachel, Nevada, and I want to go so bad. It's this like kitchy little desert town. You can stay in a hotel that's called the Little Alien, and then they have like this little diner slash I don't know, maybe it's a restaurant and a bar, but it has all the UFO kind of like merchandise and decor and they really lean into the reputation of the area and it just looks so fun to visit.
Speaker 1: That does sound fun. So the user who left this comment was forty seven year old Las Vegas resident Kenny Veach. He also had his own YouTube channel and his username there is snake snake bit McGhee, like I want to snake bite McGee, but there's no eats snake bit McGee. And on his channel he had a few videos posted of his desert hikes and his shark take submission inventions. Okay, so I think very a very passive channel, Like definitely he did not have well at the time, he did not have a lot of viewers or subscribers or anything like that. And he got that user name because on one of his adventures he was bitten by a rattlesnake, and obviously it was like this would make a great user name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I suppose that's like a very distinct event to happen in your life.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I've mentioned it before, but like my first like AOL screen name was Captain Desani because I would get a Dasani water out of the vending machine every day in high school. You know this was pre having an emotional support water bottle at all times, but you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is true. Yeah, I do still see your name. I feel like I randomly see it on different things where you've kept that used your name on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My bank account from again when I like was sixteen, I user name as captain Desani. Still so funny. I'm like here, I am a full fledged adult, still using my Aol screen name as my financial product logins. So most of his inventions were kind of a bust. But he was pretty serious about hiking, and that was a hobby or interest that he really took interest in and spent a lot of time doing. There is I mean, I think even more so now than say ten or fifteen years ago. But everybody, I think a little bit of everybody at least likes to live vicariously through other people. I think that's a straw of the Internet, and when people travel to or live in places that most of us will never make it to in person, everybody loves to do the magic of the internet be able to also visit these places. So Kenny was, like I said, he wasn't super active posting videos on his channel, but he was very active in other forums and like comment sections and things like that, and he would often discuss his solo trips through the Mojave, the Great Basin, and hikes out in the Nevada backcountry. He would spend sometimes days at a time out in the desert alone, a lot of times minimal supplies. Although he hadn't even bitten by Riddle's sake, he continued to enjoy picking them up whenever he saw them, which is a hard pass for me and doesn't seem like a good idea. On some occasions, it sounds like he would have what most people will consider an unsafe level of supplies, just like, Oh I had a candy bar and a single bottle of water. You know that's that won't even get me through an afternoon. Yeah, that's not enough. That's not enough to have on you. No, Although Kenny didn't post these kinds of videos, but like whenever I watch people posting videos of content of them being like out in the wilderness or like doing like survival type content, I always wonder what's really going on when the camera isn't rolling or what ends up getting edited out? Yeah? Yeah, because you know, I think I had watched several videos of a guy who like does these type of excursions on his own in Australia, and you know he's like, oh, I'm always I'm out here alone. I have no supplies, I have no GPS, no maps, whatever. But are these people really alone or are other people just not in the camera footage? Are they really doing this diy water filter thing and drinking out of a swamp for three days or are they like, say, I get my like water bladder filled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think there are some people who are actually accurately portraying, like for sharing what their experience is. But you do see so many of those behind the scenes of content creation, where so much of it is fabricated. So it's always curious trying to differentiate between who's being more kind of genuine and what they're sharing versus who's not right.
Speaker 1: Because creators have the advantage of showing viewers what they want them to see, we have no way of knowing if this guy who says that he is eating scorpions and ants for a week, we don't know. He could turn off the camera and be like, yes, I have this killer sub and a soda and ice and it's great, yep, and Honestly, I guess either way, if you're just looking at it at entertainment value, enjoy it. Because I don't even want to pretend to eat scorpions. So yeah, I'm all set. Yeah, But Kenny, this is not, I guess a little bit of a sidetrack, but like just thinking about these forums and videos and things like that, where there are people doing these things, and just I think the the secure already also of having of just being like a keyboard what is the term keyboard warrior keyboard troll?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean keyboard warrior is like people who are like argumentative from the safety of their side of the computer screen. But I think there are there terms for depending on yeah someone.
Speaker 1: But basically like you can you can say whatever you want on the Internet, and if you just have like a username, people don't know who you are, people aren't fact checking you there. You can say whatever you want, whether it's true or not, people will never know. But but Kenny shared in a lot of these comments and forums that he was alone on most of his adventures and he typically went places most people won't dare to go. And I do think that he's right about that last part, at least because he said he'd been in more case then he can count, and I've been so few caves I don't even need to count.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I means as cool as it is to the idea of coming across an old cave. I don't know if I'd want to venture into any I'll save that for when I'm like playing Red Dead or tomb Raider or something.
Speaker 1: But I'm not doing that in real life. You send your digital version in exactly. Kenny wasn't a person who scared easily, it seems, and that was very much part of the vibe that he would share online, that he'd go out these places alone and do all kinds of exploring and he had no fear in this environment, which is great if you can pull that off. Yeah, but that brings me back to the comment that started all this about the cave scaring him. And here is how Kenny just described originally finding that particular cave. He said he was hiking out near the Sheep Mountains, which are maybe forty ish miles north of Las Vegas. And these mountains also aren't far from the Nevada Tests and Training Range, which includes the Nellis Air Force Base, and that whole area fifty one compound. While out on this hike, he found the cave and like I said earlier, it was shaped like a capital M and it was about like he said, it was about The opening was about his height, so I don't know, let's say to say six feet, wells reminded six feet. Yeah. So he planned to go inside because that was a thing he did. And he's not afraid of caves. He enjoys being in them. He's been in plenty, but this time was different. As coach, he immediately felt something was off. He started feeling that vibration and it was continuing to get stronger the further he went towards the cave. There wasn't any noise that accompanied this vibration. You would think if there was some sort of equipment or I don't know what else would make a vibration like that, but you would think that there'd be some noise to accompany whatever is producing this feeling, right, But there was no sound. There wasn't anything to indicate what was causing this sensation. It was just a very unsettling feeling. And as he continued to approach and it increased, he was like, Nope, this cave is not for me today, I'm out of here, and ultimately ended up sharing that this was one of the strangest things that he had ever experienced. But when you share something like that on the internet, people want proof. I'm probably one of those people say prove it. Yeah. So he got all kinds of comments on his comment from people suggesting he go back and get some evidence or some video. Other people just want to be able to experience this weird cave themselves without having to go there, which that makes sense also, So there were a lot of calls for him to go back and get video and share it. Some people they just wanted to see it, and other people were like, that's some bullshit. I don't believe you. Yeah, And to Kenny's credit, he was like, all right, fine, I'll go back. I'll prove it. Not a big deal. So he started planning a trip to go back, and among all of the comments of people wanting him to go back, there were some comments from people telling him not to go back, including one that warned him that if he found that cave again and he went in, he wasn't coming out very ominous mm hmm, and I'd be like, prove it. So in October twenty fourteen, he posted a video called m Cave Hike. In the video, he's standing next to, or the beginning of the video, he's standing next to an abandoned mind shaft, and he's talking about the landscape and talking about where his car is parked and where he's going on this hike, and just explaining what he's been doing, what he's planning to do, just kind of a regular like, hey, come with me while I hike the desert type video. But ultimately he hiked for hours. He found a tortoise and a tarantula, but no cave, And he even said in the beginning of the video that he was hoping to be able to find the cave again, but just the vast of the terrain, he seemed a little uncertain he was going to be able to find his way back to where this cave was. And he was unsuccessful in finding the cave. And once people watch this video, they were like, all right, this was a failed mission. There's no cave, there's no evidence. What the heck. So, as you might guess, people were unhappy. And when you're unhappy, obviously you just share those comments online as everyone does. Yeah to play Devil's advocate. I do think if you are going to share something crazy and you want people to believe it, you have to expect that people are going to want evidence, are going to want to have you to have a way to back up your claim. Absolutely, So Kenny ends up saying, all right, I'll go make a third trip find this cave. This time, I'll bring my go pro and get even more footage, and let's do it. In this cave m hike video, he just seems so relaxed and so at ease in this setting. He seems like a very just like a chill guy, like you could just kind of hang out. I just picture like sitting around a fire, and he's got like good stories and stuff. It's very like relaxing, easy to talk to. Right in November, Kenny tells his girlfriend that he's going for a short trip, just two overnights and three days and he'd be back. However, three days past, then four, and then five, and with no word from Kenny for a full week. His girlfriend this name I struggle cherry on Sharyon, Sherryon Shreyon. Is that how his girlfriends? Yes, his girlfriend share well, it's s h E r y o n but like my brain because my mom's name is Cheryl, like it just it can't do a different sound ending sound. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I suppose the why could also be like uh, like the I sound like sharyan Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't think of that pronunciation. Well, if anybody has a better pronunciation, because because now pronounce dot com makes you watch a video before you can hear the pronunciation, and I think that name might even throw off that not chance. I did not find a lot of options for listening to it pronounced yeah anyway, So on November seventeenth, she ended up reporting him missing. Search and rescue teams headed out to the area. They found his vehicle parked at the trailhead, basically where his girlfriend had expected it to be, so they know that he at least made it to his planned destination. Aerial and ground crew aeral and ground searches got underway. At some point it was discovered I don't know if it's by his family or some type of authorities went to his house, but they found that his go pro camera was at home. Oh, so he hadn't brought it with him, right, which feels very strange. The whole point of your trip is to document things to later share online. On November twenty second, searchers found his cell phone. It was sitting on the ground near that same abandoned mind shaft where he had previously filmed a video. It appeared to those who found the phone that it had been set down rather than being dropped, And obviously there's no way to know for sure, but it at least seemed like the phone had been set down intentionally. Maybe it was just pleased somewhere that makes sense that you put it down, rather than like, oh, I dropped it or fell out of my pocket. The mine and the surrounding area was searched, but nothing was found. His car and phone became the only indications that Kenny had been out there, and nothing additional was found. Months after Kenny's disappearance, his girlfriend posted a long comment on his mcave video. Apparently she didn't realize how much activity this video had been getting. One of her friends had reached out and told her about this video and all these comments, and that's why she kind of jumped in and was like, Wow, I didn't realize that there was so much conversation about this m cave and this adventure in this search. She didn't think that whatever happened was an accident, and she didn't think that Kenny had found the cave. Her belief was that Kenny lost his with depression and had gone into the desert to die. According to her, Kenny had suffered from depression for years at that point, and he was unwilling to seek medical help. He was against taking medication, and he just didn't want to see a doctor. And you can only push somebody so much to seek help or talk to your doctor, or talk to anybody. So I'm sure that was really tough for people who knew his situation. In the months before he disappeared, things had just kind of gotten worse. He quit his job, maybe like a year or so before his disappearance, and he had been hoping that he would be able to spend that time and become some kind of inventor, you know, the shark tank pitches and stuff, but that was not going well. I just picture Dad, that's the only reference point for inventors. I have no I got a picture of it too, And at some point Kenny had told her that if he ever decided to end his life, that no one would ever find his body, which I'm sure there's contexts of this conversation, but that's a very dark comment, yeah, very And she agrees that his phone probably was placed down intentionally because Kenny would have known that it could be tracked. It had GPS, and if he didn't want to be found, he wasn't going to be taking that phone with him. She also strongly believes that he left his camera at home, again intentionally, because he never planned to document or share anything. And she isn't even sure that the m Cave story was ever a real thing to begin with. That perhaps it was something he had said or written, not really expecting to get much attention from it or gain any traction. It was just kind of like a throwaway little comment or story maybe, but then it spiraled into this much bigger story, and she thinks it still maybe was never never a real thing to begin with.
Speaker 2: So does she question if an m cave even existed or what he experienced when he went in it, if.
Speaker 1: The cave ever existed. The second part of her comment was a warning of sorts, and I am going to share that verbatim. I share this with you for two reasons. First, so that you have more of an understanding who Kenny was and to bring some peace or understand into the situation. Secondly, if any of you decide to go out into our desert to look for him or the m cave, be careful and bring enough food and water. Walking sticks are a good idea, and not doing a solo hike. Bring a GPS and make sure you've let family or friends know that you're heading out for the hike and where you where and when you will be returning. A search really can't be on a one day hike. You would be repeating much of the same hike just getting up to the mountain, and then be left with not many hours in the day to do your search. She's talking about searching for the cave, right, You would need two or three days at a time, and in the summer or even late spring. This cannot be done because of the heat of our desert. I do love how much. How she says, sorry, I'm breaking the quote, how she refers to it as our desert. Yeah, you would not be able to carry enough water, so please please be careful. I had many wonderful experiences with Kenny, and I'll always remember them and have a place of love in my heart for him and the wonderful things we did together. I am healing from my loss and look forward to new experiences with desert hiking, camping, and taking beautiful pictures of our desert. Enjoy your adventure of life, and thank you for the kind, loving comments sent my way. Oh that was a really nice message. It was. I think she obviously very clearly recognizes the dangers that can be out in the desert, and I think she realized that Kenny had created a big draw to this location for people, and as much as she didn't want people to put themselves at risk going out there, she also knew that saying don't do it wasn't going to cut it. People were still going to do it. So just I think hoping that people do it safely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not She's not trying to deter people from going, because if they want to go, they're going to go. It's just reinforcing how important it is to be prepared when you do go out.
Speaker 1: Exactly. In twenty eighteen, which was four years after Kenny disappeared, his sister's reiki center in Las Vegas was broken into which that piece I was able to confirm, and there was a news story with the security footage. I was able to watch that, and in the news interview, his sister says that you can see like something speckled across the video footage, like after the burglar has left, and in all likelihood it probably is just dust particles or something with the burglar had broken the window, so maybe there was wind kicking up dust or whatever. But in this news interview she said that she thought that maybe it was energy working to clear the bad juju from the break in in that incident. And this is the piece that I can't I couldn't get better confirmation on. But I'd seen in some forums and in a medium article that the family believed the suspect who broke in was Kenny. This thief only grabbed an iPad and then leaves like immediately. I saw nothing official, am using like air quotes official that indicated that the family believed that this person was Kenny. And in the local news article or interview, it was an interview not an article, well actually it was both. There was an article accompanying the video. She doesn't say anything about the suspect at all. She talks about hoping that the person's found. She talks about the orbs in the video, I would think that if you thought this person was your brother, that would be a prime time to say that. I would think, yeah, you would think so. Not only did she not mention this, and I couldn't find it in any follow up article or anything. I also don't think that this person in the video looked like Kenny, or even a man in his fifties at all, in my opinion. There was also an additional news article from twenty twenty four about another break in where a lot of things were stolen. So either this is a dangerous area that her reiki center is in, or perhaps reiki shops are a popular target for thieves. I don't know, but either way, they've had at least two break ins, so that's a bummer. Yeah, and neither of which I believe had anything to do with Kenny. So what did happen? We got a couple solid fairies. Of course, there could have been an accident. This is tough terrain. There are all kinds of minds out there. The mines are very deep, and this area is very remote, so remote, and these minds are so deep that the military has actually used some of them to dispose of chemicals over the years. Allegedly at least Yeah, they'll never admit it. If they did, no, then there's the idea that the cave was real and this vibration experience also happened, and based on the proximity to the military base, the idea is maybe there's some kind of connection with that, maybe this is an additional military installation or testing site of some kind. One theory was that the vibration was from infrasound, which is below the frequency of human hearing, but it can cause vibration, so that kind of would line up. And it's also known to create feelings of like dread or being spooked. Oh weird, okay, and I did read. I meant to research more, but I didn't want to get derailed too much. That there are instances where infrasound can be generated from the like the environment or geography of the area, but I'm not sure what the conditions would have to be for that to happen. I will research and go on a tangent on another time. The area around the Air Force base and Area fifty one, like you mentioned, is highly guarded. There are armed personnel that check the perimeter. It's you're not getting it. It's not like it's an abandoned fence line that you can just hop This is monitored actively daily. It's definitely off limits to civilians, and it would be strange for them to have some sort of auxiliary military thing outside of that zone. I would beg Yeah, would defeat the purpose of having it, right, But that doesn't dissuade people from suggesting that maybe he saw something or stumbled onto something that ended up getting him taken by the government or disappeared by the military. Perhaps. I think if that were true, or a variety or a where are my words today, I have no idea in the ballpark of true. The government would get that video scrowed from YouTube. All those comments would be gone, the video would be gone, we would never know about it.
Speaker 2: That's just my guess. I have to agree with you, though, like anything to kind of remove the attention from that area.
Speaker 1: Right, because having this person disappear and having these videos up just continue to general I mean, even now, twelve years later, it continues to generate interest and people going out there and people are continuing to comment on the videos. It's if it were say sort of government cover up, I think they would have covered up that YouTube video. Yeah, the simplest answer, of course, is the one that his girlfriend gave that he was struggling with depression and was unable or unwilling to seek help, and he ended up following through with something that he likely had thought about on many occasions. This location is vast. We've covered plenty of cases in the desert where people disappear and nothing is found, despite quick turnaround on getting a search going, even and there was some delay in him being reported missing, and then I'm not sure exactly how quickly search and RUSS you got out there after he was reported missing. I think it was a couple day lag. So we're looking at at least a week, maybe even more in between him arriving and search getting underway.
Speaker 2: And he likely didn't even have enough supplies to be out there for a full day, let alone an entire week, right, And.
Speaker 1: There are many deep, dangerous mind shafts, so it's very plausible that, whether an accident or intentional, if a body went in there, it could remain undiscovered. In all the years since his disappearance, his remains and no additional evidence have ever been located, and no one has claimed to have found the m Cave for themselves. People have gone out to look, but no one has said that they have found anything. Now, is there?
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a picture of the entrance or is that a mocked up picture?
Speaker 1: Is it fake? Or is there? It must be mocked It must be mocked up. Okay, because in his video he shows just like other caves, but there was nothing indicative of an M cave that I saw at least. Okay. Yeah, and based on his YouTube channel having seventy seven thousand subscribers, and I'm willing to guess that seventy seven thousand of them were people who have subscribed subscribed since kenny Sis appearance, there are a lot of people hoping to somedays see this mystery solved, or at least get more information on the cave itself, if it exists, if it doesn't exist. Yeah, so it looks like it looks like There are some pictures and videos online where people say they think they found the cave.
Speaker 2: Because also the letter M. You're gonna also maybe see what you want to see. So you could see a part of a cave and say that looks like an M to me, This could be it, whereas it very well might not. Be the one that he was referring to, if he was referring to one at all. Right, Yeah, there is definitely I'm gonna end up doing a big old deep dive into these other videos that people are posting because people are so intrigued by this case.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, like I said, his channel has seventy seven subscribers, and anybody who is familiar with Kenny or this case, like, they know that he's not gonna be producing any additional content. It's not like your subscribed to get new videos you're subscribed to. I would think kind of keep tabs on the comments on the existing video. Yeah. See, I'll be curious what you end up finding about other people's searches for the cave.
Speaker 2: Right, and of course once you get this like this legendary cave, like okay, who wants to be the one that actually is able to find it? So there is that like clickbait aspect as well. So definitely discovering this this cave. Yeah, so it's I'm curious if the cave even exists. I'm curious if he experienced to what he described as experiencing.
Speaker 1: It's obviously it's a very weird scenario, but I also feel like it's a weird thing to make up.
Speaker 2: Yes, But with that, I think we, especially in the days of internet social media content creation, people will say just about anything as strange as it may seem to someone on the outside of the topic or what have you. You know, we could be like, why would someone lie about something like that? Well, look what it's created.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be curious if any listeners are familiar with this case and what their thoughts are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. There's definitely all kinds of other theories that have been thrown around as well. So you hold a theory near and dear to your heart, I want to hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I definitely think I'm with you though, sort of like the the Olkham's razor tells us that he went out intentionally.
Speaker 1: Not wanting to return and that means for.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, especially with that being backed up by his girlfriend, who kind of added some context to why she believes that was what he did too.
Speaker 1: For me, it's very telling that the go pro camera was left at home. Yes, yeah, I agree, because even living in Las Vegas, the distance to this area I think was short enough that had you realized you didn't bring this camera and that was your whole point of going out there, you would likely say, you know what, I'm gonna drive an hour home and i'm gonna go get that. So I don't think it was left unintentionally. Yeah, but yeah, So if anybody has theories, or if anybody has weird cave stories of their own, I will also take those. Yeah. We love a good cave story. Just reminds me to never go into a cave. Right, let's hear them? Yeah, all right, Well until next week