Speaker 1: Thirteen by elections in just two years since Prime Minister Mark Carney took office, a record number of MPs have resigned or are set to resign from Parliament. Four by elections have already happened. Three more ridings will head to the polls on August thirty. First. The Liberals are looking to replace outgoing MPs in BC and Ontario, and the Conservatives are looking to hang on to a seat in Quebec. That leaves six additional ridings yet to be called. Three ridings in Quebec, two in Ontario, plus one in Saskatchewan. So what does this mean for the current state of Canadian politics? Eric Grenier is the founder of the rit dot ca and he joins me, Now, Eric, what a time for by elections? Is this just all a coincidence or what do you read into it?
Speaker 2: Well, there is an element of coincidence to it. I mean some of the by elections that are going to be forced over the next few months, or the ones that are happening in a few weeks have been related to things that were someone out of Mark Kearney's control. We had some politicians who are going to be resigning to run in the upcoming Quebec provincial election. We had one who is resigning due to health reasons. We have opposition politicians who've decided that being an opposition might not be so much fun. But there is also a little bit of the hand of the Prime minister and some of these by elections, particularly as he tries to maybe change over the team that he inherited from Justin Trudeau.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, does this say anything specific or anything to you about the prime minister's leadership.
Speaker 2: I do think that he came in pretty late in Trudeau's government obviously, so he didn't have a time to put his own stamp on things. So I think that there is an element of that. But the fact that we're going to have thirteen by elections in the first two years of Mark Kearney's mandate as Prime minister is pretty unusual. We haven't seen that in over seventy five years, so many by elections such a short amount of time. As you said, some of it is a coincidence, but some of it is maybe clearing us a little bit.
Speaker 1: What does it say about the opposition in this moment.
Speaker 2: Well, we do see that when it comes to the Black Quebecua and the NDP. I mean, they've lost some MPs who were running provincially in Quebec, and particularly in Quebec, provincial politics tends to be the thing that captures the most attention, So I don't know if it says too much about the Black QUEBECUA or the NDP. Obviously, for alexand Bourris, the last survivor of the twenty eleven Orange Wave to be moving on is symbolic, but you don't necessarily blame him for wanting to try something different at this stage. But for the Conservatives, it is a number of resignations that some of them are a bit more problematic than others. Kathy wagons All stepping aside in Yorkton Melville. You know, that is a super safe seat for the Conservatives. They should have no problem holding onto that one. But to see Rashad Mahtel take that Senate seat from a Liberal prime minister take that offer has been opening up, has opened up the Shruti Mi Lafield by election August thirty first, that one is going to be really tough for the Conservatives to hold, considering that they've been losing support in Quebec over the last few weeks. And then just recently Larry Brock stepping aside in Branford Brand South. That is going to be a bit of a test because the Liberals were making some gains in parts of rural or rural ish Ontario in the last election. We've seen the polls continue to move really in favor against the Conservatives a little bit towards the Liberals. If they could pick up a seat like that, that could be the kind of by election result that could really put a lot of pressure on pure Pooly.
Speaker 1: Of of all the by elections, is that the one you find most interesting in this moment, or what one is sort of that you're watching closest, That.
Speaker 2: One will be really interesting. It depends on when it's held. It could be held as late as early next year, so by then we could be in a completely different climate. In the shorter term, the Secruty Milafial by election is going to be a really important one because it could be the first time the Conservatives would lose the seat in a by election since twenty seventeen, the pure Pola hasn't lost a seat in a by election as leaders, so it would have some symbolic importance. It was a really close race last time, a three way race. Both the Black Cabiqua and the Liberals are gunning for that seat, so that is going to be the really one to watch in the short term. Some more by elections in Quebec. As I mentioned testing the NDP in Montreal. There is a whole series of by elections taking place across the country over the next six months. Not all of them are really important, Not all of them will have clues about where things are going on. But when you look at them on the whole, the parties that are doing well in the polls tend to also do well in by elections, and the parties that are doing do badly in by elections. So when you do see that those results with real voters match what we've seen in the polls, it makes both of those results a lot harder to dismiss by the parties that are on the back.
Speaker 1: Heel you mentioned. You know, we haven't seen anything like this in seventy five years. Do you expect more? Is this bonanza of by elections going to keep going.
Speaker 2: It's hard to think that there won't be, just the pace has been so unusual. This is an unusual amount of by elections as you mentioned, we haven't had this many since Louis Sailora in nineteen fifty, which I think is a little bit before you and I are time. So to see these many by elections, I do think that there's a good chance we'll get some more. I mean, there's another six months to go, or even more than six months before we get to the two year mark of the last election. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with many with more than thirteen by elections by the time we get to that two year anniversary.
Speaker 1: Last question, Eric, big picture, If you take a step back, what does all this say about this moment in Canadian politics?
Speaker 2: It is a changeover time. I think that is something that's not what we are expecting. The kind of changeover was going to be when Justin Trudeau was announcing his resignation, and I think that's what we're seeing here. There is a changeover in parliament. Some of the more longer term MPs that were pretty important ones in Justin Trudeau's era are moving along. We have some new people coming in and we have some shifts that we're seeing in the electorate that these by elections will test. The Liberals being able to be very competitive in a riding like Secrudi me the FIA wasn't going to happen at the end of Justin Truder's tenure. Now Mark Karney and the Liberals are popular in Quebec, they're able to win seats, so this could be a bit of an indication of how some of that electorate has been shifting over the last few yar and how it is marking a little bit of a maybe a bit of a new era in Canadian politics.
Speaker 1: Eric Grenier, it is always a pleasure to hear all of the smart things you have to say. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks Katie,