Speaker 1: Welcome to Financial Issues, where we help you steward faithfully by honoring God with your investments. Now listen in as we give you the practical tools and advice you need to become a biblically responsible investor.
Speaker 2: This is Financial Issues, where we help you defund darkness and fund the light by investing with biblical integrity. Today's show, folks, we're going to continue Friday's discussion with that midyear financial checkup. Let's talk through everyone's favorite specific topic in planning, taxes.
Speaker 3: I love them, you love them. We all love them, don't we guys.
Speaker 2: Also our Palace Defon Padfield, who we actually love Unlike taxes. At the Heritage Foundation, PEND a fascinating piece in the Daily Signal concerning corporate red flags. I wonder what those are. We'll talk shortly. Sephan's join us in about ten minutes. Excited to have him, excited to have all of you. I'm Sethi Dinsky, Sam Case in the control room, and of course your host with us, Mark Manila Marked morning, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning, Happy Monday, everyone, and thanks Seth for starting Monday off with such wonderful topic like tech.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Mark, It's my play. I mean if I can do my civic Dude, you know it feels appropriate for a Monday, right, but today it.
Speaker 4: Almost feels so Yeah, you know what tags is on Monday, they do feel some and rainstorms and floods and tribulation.
Speaker 5: Yeah it all goes together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really does so.
Speaker 2: But guys, listen, before we get to that, let's start our show on a much more positive thing. Sam Our versu of the Week this week is Matthew six twenty four. Why don't you read that?
Speaker 3: For us?
Speaker 6: It sure is no one can serve two masters, for he will either hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
Speaker 2: You know, Mark, as we were talking about this in our our pre show discussion, it got me thinking that when we talk about not serving two masters, it's very easy to say, that's very easy.
Speaker 3: For me to say, yeah, you know what, I serve God totally.
Speaker 2: I don't serve money, yeah, I think, and I'm just being honest to try to.
Speaker 5: Serve the two.
Speaker 3: We sure do?
Speaker 5: We sure do?
Speaker 3: I mean how much energy?
Speaker 5: He says his portfolio again?
Speaker 6: Right, The only reason I'm not doing it is because I'm busy with the show.
Speaker 2: But I think one question that we got to ask ourselves, guys, is how much energy do we give?
Speaker 3: How much?
Speaker 2: How much thought do we give? You know, the things that we care about most, we will think about most. Am I thinking about my money as much as I'm thinking about God? Or perhaps even more so. And that starts to make us realize, you know what, maybe I am trying to serve two masters and we can't do that. I mean, Christ tells us you have to pick one, You have to pick one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: You know what gets me about this verse that maybe it's a little strange, but what it doesn't say. It doesn't say you can't have God and mammon. It doesn't say you shouldn't pay attention to God and Mammon simultaneously. It just says you can't.
Speaker 5: Serve one over the other.
Speaker 4: And that's so very important because as Stuart, that's a perspective of stewardship. We serve God, and in serving God, we manage those assets. He's entrusted to us, but we manage him to his glory right for his purposes, right. I mean, that's the whole idea steward is someone who utilizes God's resources for God's purposes, to God's glory. And when you have that mindset, you're not serving two masters. Yet you may spend a lot of mind space, even a lot of tension, on managing those assets in a way that glorifies him and in a way that helps fulfill God's purposes. So it's a juggling act that feels like, but the reality is it comes.
Speaker 5: Down to who you doing this for.
Speaker 4: And when you look at it like that, you say, oh, well, there is gold, and I do have this gold that I have to deal with here, but I'm dealing with it for the one True God in a way that honors him.
Speaker 5: When you which one keeps everything in perspective?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, said Mark, that's really good.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, let's get going now here on again a much less important topic. But like you said, Mark, we have to deal with the reality of this world, and so we have to talk about money and specifically taxes this mid year tax realignment. So if anyone was with us on Friday, we kind of did our mid year financial health checkup for all of your finances. But I think for many of us, the most important mid year checkup that will get with our finances is our tax implications.
Speaker 3: So Mark just kind of open the conversation there.
Speaker 2: What things should we consider as we begin tax planning for the end of the year.
Speaker 5: Well, the first thing is you don't have to make it a big deal. You know.
Speaker 4: The whole idea of a mid year review is to just make sure things are going right. Remember the simple.
Speaker 5: Question that is the lead the head the.
Speaker 4: Start of the mid year thing. What has changed if income with holding deductions, giving investments, I don't know, family circumstances, if they're all similar to what they were at the end of last year, when you did your plan last year or when you started putting things together, and then probably nothing's major has changed. There may be little to adjust, so it's not a big deal. So you start with what has changed, and then you move forward with that. One of the things is, even if nothing's changed in your life, Let's say your company didn't give you a raise, I'm sorry, And let's say that nothing's changed in relationships or anything else. No big bonuses, no huge capital gains or losses, that kind of stuff. We still have The twenty twenty six federal tax changes. So at the very least, what you want to do is go out and estimate your your taxes for the year, and you can do that at the I R S.
Speaker 5: I think at.
Speaker 4: IRS dot gov individuals there's a tax withholding estimator, so you could go in there and type in all the information about your you're you know you're gonna need a most recent pay stuff to do it.
Speaker 5: But once you do that, it'll tell you.
Speaker 4: Whether you're on track or not, or what you should be withholding in that kind of things. So this gives you time to adjust before the end of the year for traditional type.
Speaker 5: Moving forward things.
Speaker 4: So the goal really of the midiear with the taxes is no surprises. For example, maybe you sold a business. I know that sounds for some people it's like who owns businesses?
Speaker 5: Aren't they rich? Well, No, a lot of people own small businesses.
Speaker 4: I knew a guy who had who mowed lawns on the side and he had like forty different households and he sold that business to another.
Speaker 5: Guy who did it because he was getting older and wanted to get out of it.
Speaker 4: So he had a lot of he had this lump sum come in that now he needed the report and take advantage are make sure he paid the taxes on and to make sure he didn't get fined for not for underpaying taxes. He had to do a deposit pretty quickly after the sale of that, so it went in right. So mid year will help you take a look at those kinds of things and make sure it's done well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and Mark, you had hinted at this on Friday, But is it a good idea to actually physically set aside portions of gains? You know, say you sell a stock or like you said, you sell a business, and so you're setting aside this is roughly the amount that I'll need to pay in capital gains taxes when that happens, so that when tax time comes next year you're not surprised. Is is that generally a good idea?
Speaker 4: It can be, but I think it's a little early yet for most people.
Speaker 5: Okay, if you think about it, this could work for some.
Speaker 4: But if they need to do that, they should set it aside definitely in a different account or something to sure that it's there when they need it. But it may be best like in June and July. I if you figure out you're going to need some money for the end of the year. You may want to wait a little bit because unless there are some let's just say, in your investments, you're you're very aware of some losses and you really don't want to continue to hold this till it recovers. You might want to sell those off, and that way you can have that money ready for both tax loss harvesting and to pay your debt, your I R S debt. So you could do that, but if another thing you could do with it, if you think the markets are strong, is to just reinvest in and wait till the fourth quarter and re.
Speaker 5: Examine everything again there to.
Speaker 4: Make sure that it's close, that you really do understand what you're going to owe and and how much you're gonna need.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and then Mark, some people wait till the first quarter. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. Mark.
Speaker 2: What what about charitable giving for effective end of your end of the year tax planning? How might we to be thinking about that? Maybe it's still too early right now, but how should we think about it?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a good question.
Speaker 4: You know, you brought up taxes, so let's bring that's almost the dark that we're defunding. Now, let's go to shy let's go to funding the light. So you know, obviously giving is such a big part of being a steward, and you started the year off.
Speaker 5: With a plan.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was ten percent, maybe it was fifteen percent, but whatever, and hopefully e've ben sticking to the planet. It's a good time to look did and again ask that question what has changed? Well, if you are getting bonuses or if there has been capital gains, did you calculate.
Speaker 5: Did it? Did it cross your mind that maybe you'll want to give out of.
Speaker 4: That as well to honor God, you know, so you want to start doing the adjustments there, maybe increasing your donations a little bit, so by the end of the year it comes out the amount you really wanted.
Speaker 5: Are are Maybe your income has gone down or something like that. So it's all there.
Speaker 4: But also it becomes part of that thing that we were talking about just a second ago, where if you're going to owe taxes, part of reducing those stackses is your obvioushly, your charitable giving. So if you're going to work on it, you might say, okay, well we're gonna give even more now out of that, so that reduces that so I don't need to put as much as fie now as I thought I needed to.
Speaker 5: All the way around, they all coordinate together.
Speaker 4: That's why it's such a good idea to do a mid year financial Uh, just look back and make sure everything's good. Just ask that one question what has changed and what needs to change, and then you don't have any big surprises at.
Speaker 5: The end of the year. Six' ten three six three eleven.
Speaker 7: Ten, well grateful to have you here, today folks on number six ten three six three eleven.
Speaker 3: Ten join the live.
Speaker 2: Broadcast also today's show brought to you in part by our friends over At Crossroads Kids.
Speaker 3: Club go To reach Our schools dot. Com join, us.
Speaker 2: Folks we've got about four days left of this back to school. Campaign we're almost halfway, there so we got some ground to, cover, Folks so go make a donation two hundred dollars sponsors a child to be able to go to A Crossroads Kids club for a whole. Year so do that At reach Our schools dot. Com, Mark i'm very excited for this interview coming up.
Speaker 4: Here, absolutely it's because it goes to the heart of What biblical responsible investing is all. About it comes down to holding corporations accountable for what they do with stockholders'. Money i'm talking about dividends and the price of the. Stock joining us today to talk about this Is Stefan Padfield principle From Free Enterprise initiatives and senior legal things at The Heritage.
Speaker 5: Foundation, stefan so good to have, You.
Speaker 8: So great to be. Here thanks so much for having me on. Again we're.
Speaker 4: Honored, listen talk to us about this red. Flag this recent article you wrote about red flag case. Studies what does that? Mean red flag case studies about?
Speaker 8: Stocks, yeah So i'm basically pulling from a corporate governance in terms of law and legal oversight and fiduciary. Duty there's a line of cases out Of delaware in, particular where the idea is that the board and senior executives can't watch, everything but if they're confronted with a red flag and then they ignore, it that can be a breach of, duty, right a failure of. Oversight so red flags have a very key role to play in corporate, governance and SO i basically took that and ran with it for WHAT i hope to be an ongoing. Series. Right you, know when we work with, corporations we engage with corporations as a. Shareholder and by, WE i mean The Heritage foundation and the particular initiative That i'm a part, of The Free enterprise, Initiative and generally we want to do that behind closed, doors so to. Speak not that there's anything to, hide but just that you can have more open. Conversations, Right and.
Speaker 5: Potentially it's, biblical it's. Biblical. Thanks, first you go one on one to the.
Speaker 4: People you don't take it. Public you go one on one and you talk about the. Issue here's what it is, offending here's what we find the, problem here's what we believe is an, issue and you talk to them about.
Speaker 5: It Thank. YE i love That you're?
Speaker 8: Done, ye, yeah exactly. Exactly but every once in a while we do get, corporations and we're certainly not alone with, this. Right there's a number of people who are active in this space from the conservative, perspective and they have similar. Experiences there are just certain corporations that either we'll just ignore. YOU i, mean they'll do what they are legally obligated to, do but they won't engage any like a step beyond. That or we might have some engagements and then they just basically break off and don't. Reply so at that, point to the, extent we're looking at a corporation that has a number of red, flags you, know from our perspective in terms of protecting shareholder value and more broadly in terms of getting these corporations back to neutral because of all the effects that they have on our society at. Large you, know then there's an opportunity to go. Public and SO i started this, line and the initial, article which which does go Through disney as a case, study is really just to tee up the. Concept and then going, Forward i'll be able to just jump right in and, say you, know red flag case Study, colon here's the next, company and people can just look at that for, themselves because it is very. DIFFICULT i, mean most people are very, busy and a lot of these corporations are able to put on a good face in their public facing sort of, interactions and so you do have to do a little bit of, digging and that's something THAT i and the rest of us at The Free Enterprise initiative are able to, do and so making that information more available can really have value at.
Speaker 4: Times, well let's talk about some of these red. Flags what would be a red flag For disney.
Speaker 8: Well SO i go through this step by step up and this is very similar to the process that we use when we decide whether to engage with the corporation at. All So i'm sure your listeners and you are likely familiar with the seventeen ninety Two exchange and they put out corporate bias, ratings and so one place we'll look is is the corporation rated high risk by the seventeen ninety Two. Exchange and what's nice about the report they put out at the seventeen ninety Two exchange is it goes into a good amount of, detail but not an overwhelming amount of, detail so we actually get specific. Items, so for, example is there reason to be concerned that the company's using benevity as a screen for employee match in terms of giving such that THE splc comes in as a, potential you, know, screen which would be very problematic for its Anti christian, bias, Right so we look at. That then we look At Alliance Defending. Freedom they have a viewpoint diversity. Score they rate fewer, CORPORATIONS i would, say but certainly when they, do it's very. Useful and so they come at it from a slightly diferent perspective more focused on the viewpoint, diversity specifically when it comes to treating religious freedom. Properly, Right so we'll look there at their. Score, again you can go into the. Report you see a lot of specific items that's very helpful in. Engagement and then we'll also look at whether or not and to what extent the corporation is lining itself up with The Human Rights. Campaign. Right, so for, example With, disney not only do they get one hundred percent on The Corporate Equality, index but they are a verified, score which means they cooperated with the survey and they're the top level. Sponsor Right, so to the extent The Human Rights campaign has a lot of red flags just baked in in terms of what it does in terms of promoting transgenderism and pushing that on families and children and so, on that's a red flag right. There so one or more of, those in totality or combination certainly will make us look more closely at a. Corporation and then Finally i'll, say although a lot of other things can come, in like With, disney there was a specific letter from THE fcc asking about discrimination RIGHT dei related and so we'll pull up very corporate specific. Items but then stock price and stock price doesn't tell the whole. Story but when you've got a company that's been underperforming THE s AND p five hundred every year for the past five, years Like bristney, has that whole picture of go, woke go broke becomes. Glaring. Right on the one, hand you've got this company checking every single, block, right so they're high risk on seventeen ninety two, exchange they've got a very low score on the eighty f View Point Diversity, index they're all in WITH. Hrc and then, oh by the, way they've been underperforming THE s AND p five hundred And i'm talking by significant margins for the past five. Years you put all that together to argue there aren't red flags at that, company, Right and then what they've done, SPECIFICALLY i mean they've gone toe to, toe you know With DeSantis In, florida.
Speaker 5: Just some of the decisions they've.
Speaker 8: Made they had that report that was leaked where you basically had some producers, saying you, know we've got our not so secret gay. Agenda. Right it just goes on and, on and so that's the sort of thing that if you just go through your day and you're very busy and you just look at the, commercials you might not realize what you're dealing with when you're dealing with that.
Speaker 5: Corporation no commercials.
Speaker 4: Make everything look like happiness and fun and, joy not that they're pushing or promoting a certain agenda at all at the expense of the. Stockholders and that's the thing that REALLY i think brings it home for us here is that at the expense of the, stockholders not that every time somebody has an agenda other than what a biblical principle, agenda that it causes the stock price to go. Down but oftentimes it. Does and that's what you're saying with the go, woke go. Broke tell us more about. That how do you defend that concept that if you do go, woke you go?
Speaker 8: Broke, YEAH i, MEAN i think it does get quite. Tricky, Right, so there's some pretty startcases where the line drawing is pretty. EASY i would say With, disney it's relatively easy to, say, boy these, things it's hard to dismiss this as a. Coincidence but there's other situations where a company might actually be doing, Okay but then you ask the question of opportunity, cost, right, like how well would it be doing if it wasn't all in on these woke, Initiatives and so that's a hard thing to tease. Out but it's not simply, oh, well we're outperforming THE s AND p five, hundred so everything is. Fine, no you could be doing a lot better if you weren't dragging. DOWN i, mean there's there's this idea of a luxury, good, right and SO dei AND esg have often referred to as luxury, goods which is to, say companies that are very, profitable, Right companies that are very profitable can afford to essentially waste money on that, stuff, Right and they still look okay because they're so far ahead of the. Market and we know some companies like. That so the stock price, matters but it's not. Everything and, conversely if you see a company that's, underperforming that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story because you got to look at you, know what industry are they, in who are the real? Competitors and we always give corporations the opportunity to basically tell us that, story. RIGHT i was just on a call the other day and brought up the fact that the company we're dealing with you, know in addition to all the other red, flags was underperforming the past five. Years and they, said, well you, know we think if you look at this particular slice of the, market this, industry, right and we, said, hey we're really open to, that and if you tell the story and it's, convincing because often in these cases we'll get some, feedback but then when we actually look at what's sent to, us it's actually not nearly as compellent as the corporation would like us to. Believe but we're certainly open to. That so stock price is one of those. Things is it really, matters but it is definitely not the be all and end, all and you do have to be open to different stories or different ways in which to interpret that.
Speaker 5: Data.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and you, know the other thing is it's just not the stock, price it's the. Dividends if they have money to waste to actually get INTO dei and get be promoting all sorts of, ugliness then they have money that they should be given back to the stockholders in the form of a. Dividend, effectively what they're doing is they're wasting the stockholders' money doing something that maybe a small percentage of the board you know of ten or twelve, people let's want to do instead of making sure that everybody who's invested in that corporation wants to do. It and that's just. Wrong they're taking your money that should have been yours profits since you're invested in, it and then investing that not even investing, it wasting it on promoting sexual immorality or other things that are totally offensive to those who are holding the, stock and that's just.
Speaker 8: Wrong, YEAH i agree. Completely and with the buybacks for exim you mentioned. Dividends buybacks another, one, Right so if we go into an engagement and the corporation hasn't been performing, well but they, say, well you, know we've done a bunch of, buybacks so we've put money back into the pockets of. Shareholders those are all ITEMS i will. Say you, KNOW i do like to use the term investing around these items because then you get to, ask, okay well what is the expected?
Speaker 5: Value? Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah do you even do you even?
Speaker 4: Know?
Speaker 8: That this is something we ask very? Often so you, know some company will, say, well we're committed to net zero by twenty, Thirty, okay what's that's going to cost you? Money what's the expected? Value of, that what's THE roi are you even trying to measure that you've made commitments that you know you're you're going to increase your representation across the board to match some, quota whether it's direct or. Implied, okay you know that's going to cost you. Money how are you measuring? That and and nine times out of ten they. Aren't they aren't even. Trying and that doesn't mean that it's, wrong because there are things that are difficult to, measure, right, Right but at the very least we need an answer to that question because you do start with the assumption that you should only be making decisions that are net present value, positive.
Speaker 4: Right, Absolutely and, uh just so people, know it's to find. You the most recent article dealing with the red flags is At Daily signal dot Com Daily signal dot, com and you can read that. Article it's really fascinating because it talks about the different things how woke doesn't work most of the.
Speaker 5: Time but it talks about the.
Speaker 4: Red flags that are sent up by woke agendas that are that can and are hurting corporations and at the very, least they're actually hurting our society by promoting things that this society does not want to embrace things that are contrary to just civil living and biblical. Principles, stefan thank you so, much my, friend for being with. US i hope you'll come back real.
Speaker 8: Soon thanks so, much really looking forward to.
Speaker 5: It god bless, you. Sir great to be here with the.
Speaker 2: Folks six ten three six three eleven. Ten HE i hope you enjoyed That Stefan padfield. Interview just want to remind you, All sam very. Excellently he's a master of his. Craft he put the link to that interview into our, chat so it's. There if you Find sam's link to that, interview you can read the.
Speaker 6: Interview excuse me the. Article i'm not you can't link To thea's.
Speaker 5: Right just.
Speaker 2: Happened, yeah but Like john or Like james in the, chat just wait to do it until after the, show because wait till after the show and then he can read. It so six six ten three six three eleven. Ten mark didn't want to let the moment pass by as well without shreminding our listeners how important This Crossroads Kids club campaign is and what we're trying to do, here trying to sponsor, uh you, know one hundred and twenty five kids to Attend Crossroads Kids. Club they're looking to launch thirty new clubs, nationwide so they're not would be so.
Speaker 4: AWESOME i, mean think about, this Seth. Sam imagine at some point we get to be in the presence of The, lord just twenty four to, seven fully. There you, know whether he calls us home or comes. Back but let's just, say let's just picture imagine us standing in heaven together and a little kid runs up to you that you've never seen, before looks up into your eyes and, says thank. You i'm here because you helped sponsor me for a kid's club AND i found out About.
Speaker 5: Jesus so we're doing.
Speaker 3: Amazing that's what we're doing markets.
Speaker 5: Exactly it would be absolutely that.
Speaker 4: ALONE i, mean no matter What i've done in my, life the idea that somebody would Say god allowed me to participate in them coming To christ would be WHAT i would call. Success and we can help to help, kids we can help do incredible, things but there's nothing more incredible we can do than get The gospel, out especially for children when they're, there when their minds are, open when they're still fresh and innocent enough to be able to accept the truth without having to bang their head on the wall like some of us who came To christ later in. Life we can do that by just donating to The Crosswoods Crossroads Kids Club and what is, it two hundred dollars now is matched and that four hundred dollars actually sponsors one child for a full year At Roads Kids. Club we just are trying to do the best we can to bring as many people in to help us to get as many kids into those clubs as possible this. Year will you join? Us will you donate two hundred? Dollars will you do it? Now they do that and reach our schools dot com, Exactly thank you so much if you.
Speaker 5: Would god bless you for even considering.
Speaker 2: It, yeah absolutely so grateful For Crossroads Kids. Club market markets On friday finished mixed. Tairry, actually The NASDAQ go was, down the rustle two thousand down, slightly THE smp was, flat and The Dow jones was. Up the pre markets this morning, though we're looking really good and they've opened quite handsomely as. Well The Dow jones mark i'm seeing is up over a full, percent THE smp almost a full, percent THE nasdak over a full, percent and to boot it, all oil is also, down so love to see you.
Speaker 5: Down like what seven and a half? Percent So West.
Speaker 3: Texas Inter media.
Speaker 2: Down i'm seeing down near around eighty four dollars a barrel And brent crude really retreating from its one hundred dollars threshold we saw last.
Speaker 3: Week so that's good to see.
Speaker 6: It, sure did you compliment the market on its good looks? Today tell it it's encouragement.
Speaker 5: Sometimes thank.
Speaker 2: You, Yeah and you, KNOW i think that it'll actually listen to, me at LEAST i hope it. Does that's, okay six ten three six three eleven.
Speaker 3: Ten. Mark here's a comment From.
Speaker 2: Jim he's, saying thanks so MUCH, Fism pat and the team At Financial issues for the information About Boise. Cascade we should have sell alert for them last.
Speaker 1: Week.
Speaker 2: Mark jim, SAYS i not hear, that AND i don't need my money Supporting china or any kind of shade operating.
Speaker 3: Company it's too. BAD i liked the. Company but he's grateful for us shine the light on.
Speaker 5: That, Mark, absolutely thank, You. JIM i feel the same. Way there's two parts to that for, Me.
Speaker 4: Jim one IS i just want nothing to do with a communist regime and helping.
Speaker 5: Them in any.
Speaker 4: Way and when a board takes, over when When china takes over a board and that board now has the report to The communist, PARTY i want nothing to do with that. Company but, SECONDLY i don't like companies that that actually have to cheat to make. MONEY i, mean it's just when you when you when a company uh gets charged with something and they plead guilty because they did something that broke the, law especially a good, company a company that's strong in its own, right the way it, does the way it makes.
Speaker 5: Money, anyway they don't have to do. That what would cause them to do? That it breaks my heart on one, hand but on the.
Speaker 4: Other just disgust, me AND i have to move. On So i'm like, You, Jim, yeah too. Bad it'll be a long time Before i'll trust them.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 3: Yeah absolutely.
Speaker 2: Absolutely mark justin From texas is ASKING i need to re evaluate my stocks and my allocations as.
Speaker 3: Well is that part of the mid year audit? Too? Mark?
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's kind of interesting that you would say, that because as we were going through a midyear, AUDIT i thought about that a little, bit AND i, thought, well most people.
Speaker 5: Are looking at their stocks all the.
Speaker 4: TIME i only come up with that conclusion BECAUSE i Have Susan sam.
Speaker 5: Here and you, know multiple times they're checking in the. Break, No i'm just SO i just assume everybody's.
Speaker 4: Sick, no it's absolutely a great time to be looking at that and start doing some planning on, that as if you haven't been.
Speaker 5: Looking at it the rest of the, year it's a very good time to do, that you.
Speaker 4: Know there we saw a lot of changes going on in the. Markets we've had two, well one strong pullback and one minor pullback so, far and both of those helped to position stocks a little bit, better but they also caused a little bit of rotation in the, sectors and now they're rotating back to where they. Were so there's a lot of there's a lot of gravity in the in THE it. Sector so even though we may have seen money coming out of that going into things like financial and industrials and, things it seems like it's rotating. Back so now it would be a good time to be looking and seeing if you want to shore something, up if you want to prune some things to lock in some, gains and or if it's just time to get rid of some weakness and move on to a little more.
Speaker 5: Strength.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, mark you said at the beginning of, summer we come back to this all the, time the roller. COASTER i guess it's a tilta world, now, right with the rotation out of tech and back into.
Speaker 3: Tech maybe it's a, different different, arnival.
Speaker 4: Right maybe it's you, know when you get, older you start remembering things a little. Different the painful things you don't remember as much as the. Pleasure BUT i remember summers being really dull in the market in my younger days of being in the in the markets and managing. Money it seems like that's on. Vacation, yeah but it seems like that's gone. Away we used to, say you, know selling may and go away it just because the markets really didn't do. Anything but, boy if you would have missed this, summer you would have missed some really high possibilities of. Returns you would have missed a lot of.
Speaker 3: Fun, yeah, absolutely that's.
Speaker 2: Right speaking of, Fun Mark george has a really fun comment From North carolina talking about.
Speaker 3: Taxes. Same didn't we fight.
Speaker 2: The most powerful army and navy in the world two hundred and fifty years ago over a tax?
Speaker 3: Percentage what the Average american pace.
Speaker 2: Bay, Yeah, GEORGE i think it was in the realm of one to two percent something like. That george, says stand, back take a look at how much time we are spending tikalking about preparing for, taxes and then look at where the money. Goes, GEORGE i don't want to be depressed, today so that's Why i'm not looking at.
Speaker 5: It, GEORGE i totally agree with.
Speaker 4: You if people sat down and really calculated how much of their, income which is your. Life what you do is you give a part of your life to earn some. Money you trade time of your. Life let's say you know you have eighty. Years you probably trade forty of those years off for the money to support you in those. Years, Okay so you're given your, time and then you pay taxes on, that and then when you spend, it you pay tax on the, spending and then when you own, it you pay taxes on owning in, it and then when you, die they pay taxes on dying from. It if you added up all the taxes that you have to, pay you'd be shocked into how little is left over.
Speaker 5: For you to live properly and enjoy your labor in what you've.
Speaker 4: Given we've become accustomed to it in this, country AND i think it's really a shame because you know how often we talk about about THE us, debt and we talk about, inflation and we talk about all these different. Things you, know what productivity is one of the lovers that needs to be the stronger, productivity the less chance of inflation and less less chance of needing to borrow money individually or as a. Country that's one of the. Levers and when we hurt that productivity with, taxes we end up having. Inflation and it's just. Terrible it's just absolutely. Terrible But i'm working on a little op ed about, that so it's on the top of my. Mind But, george you're nailing. It taxes may be one of the one of the influential characters of everything that's evil in our.
Speaker 2: Economy, Yeah, mark is there any hope out there for any elected officials who would be willing to lower taxes where they? Can and SOMETIMES i just despair so, much AND i look AND i, See, gosh it seems like everybody out there on both sides just wants to raise.
Speaker 3: Taxes are you seeing the same thing or AM i just.
Speaker 4: Despairing Seth, NO i understand that pain that you're, feeling and most of us feel that because we want to elect the right, people and probably people like you and me and most of our listeners were active to make sure we find somebody to run and that we get behind. Them we fund, them we vote for, them we ask other people to. Vote but a large majority Of americans don't get. Involved and because of, that at the last, minute if they do, vote they're just flipping switches that they think might be the right, people but they haven't looked into, it or they haven't gone to ivoter guide dot com and looked up and see what they're really talking. About we have a responsibility As stuart to stuart this. Country we need to get involved and get the right people in Soft and yes there is. Hope when the majority Of christians vote Like, christians we'll see A christian. Government and when we see A christian, government we'll see a lot of hope change for the.
Speaker 9: Positive the opinions and recommendations expressed on this program do not necessarily represent the opinions of the station or any of the program's. Sponsors, additionally all products or services offered.
Speaker 3: By the program sponsors may not be known by the.
Speaker 2: Program, folks you still got, time give us a ring six' ten three six three. Eleven ten we're here. For you join the live broadcast sixt ten three sixty three.
Speaker 1: Eleven.
Speaker 3: Ten mark here's a. Good question john is in.
Speaker 2: Our chat He's, from alabama and he's asking which gives me more control of? My money is it the non, qualified account THE, traditional ira or?
Speaker 3: The, wrath.
Speaker 5: John that's a. Great question i've never heard anybody ask.
Speaker 4: That before and you KNOW why i think it's so important is because as, A steward god has given.
Speaker 5: You this to be have, control over not.
Speaker 4: Somebody else and when it comes to people getting out, of debt one of the one of the key characteristics of getting out of debt is gaining more control of, your money because when you sign the bottom line on those papers to, borrow money you actually are signing away control of some of your future. Cash flows and the more you sign, those things more control you've. Given AWAY so i like this question specifically because it talks about one of the keys to getting out of debt and creating wealth.
Speaker 5: Is, CONTROL well i.
Speaker 4: Think that there's an obvious answer, to THIS and i would say that the non qualified account is the one that gives you the. Most, control now it doesn't mean that A traditional ira OR a roth takes away so much control that it can, harm you but it can if not. Used properly so whenever you're giving, up control are giving somebody a little bit more control. Over you, for example with THE, traditional ira if you're contributing TO traditional ira to reduce your income, tax today to get a deduction, for it you're postponing those taxes to. The future so effectively you're not doing anything but. Postponing them you're really not. Removing them and maybe you're thinking that, That's okay but in return, for that you.
Speaker 5: Give up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Of control if you want to pull that money out before a time the government says, you can they're going to penalize you, For that so you've given up a little bit of. Control there the same thing with, a wroth although with, a roth the money you put in after five years there's.
Speaker 5: Still a little bit of a.
Speaker 4: Control there but, you know the wroth still has a penalty and taxes if you pull it out before the, right time except for, your basis if you've held it for five years or, MORE so i would say the non qualified account gives you the, most control THEN the wroth and then the least control IS. The ira so, Excellent, question john and it's good to. Ask those That's why i've never been a giant fan of A. TRADITIONAL ira i get it it could help during times if you're going through a life's time or a portion of your life that's going to be short lived where you're making massive amounts, Of money going into traditional help reduce those taxes might be a good idea because you also have reserves elsewhere that maybe don't help you to offset any control you may need, In that but otherwise you're just deferring those taxes to a time in the future when you believe you'll be in a lower, tax bracket which THE majority pece. People WON'T and i know people challenge me on, this occasionally but So often i've, told people when, you retire there's a good chance you're going to be in the same tax bracket or more than you were before, you retired because you're going to be off twenty four. To seven you're going to need revenues equal to or more to do all the bucket list things that you decided to do wanted.
Speaker 5: To do when.
Speaker 4: You retired so you're really not going to cut your, income down, let's say thirty fifty percent and live on that unless you're just making a massive amounts of money to. Begin with so you got to be careful about the idea defering tax in. The, future john. Excellent question it really is. A government never have been asked that yet.
Speaker 5: In, my life and that's. Very, unusual yeah.
Speaker 2: Good job and, You, know mark not only does it seem like most people's income doesn't decrease all that much when, they retire but taxes are probably in all likelihood going to be higher in, the future so you're you're going to have to be.
Speaker 3: Paying more in. That regard don't speak.
Speaker 6: THAT either i go again riled up on you were the one you chose taxes as.
Speaker 3: It was. It's you it was the producer that has Given. Me, lord yeah it.
Speaker 4: Was You set and by, the way that's. Very pessimistic, You know trump, came in he. Reduced taxes we've had taxes reduce off of highs. Many times it's JUST and i THINK that i don't know if, it's TRUE but i do, believe THIS and i guess it's more of a hope than a Belief that americans are. Waking, up yeah first time and probably many many many years Since The, vietnam war you know that that Timeframe when america started waking.
Speaker 5: UP again I think americans are.
Speaker 4: Waking up and there's the potential here because we have an administration right now who is shining the light on. The swamp maybe they're not able to drain it because of all The legal if you get, a chance just go out TO your ai or go out to your search engine and ask how many lawsuits right now are pinning against this administration trying and then, define them trying to stop them from shutting, down NGOs trying to stop them from trying to stop them from funding things that shouldn't. Be funded and it's just thousands upon thousands, by states, by individuals by just anybody.
Speaker 5: And everybody it's.
Speaker 4: Just incredible we have right now an administration who is shining the light on. THE swamp i am grateful. For that we see the fraud. And waste we're talking about trillions. Of dollars if we could just get rid of the fraud, and waste we could cut taxes in half and have a. BALANCED budget i truly. Believe that fire me. Up there let's, keep, Going people let's. Keep going this year we have a. Midterm election let's. Do this let's get godly people. In there let's, get conservative fiscally conservative people in there to.
Speaker 5: Make these changes to make.
Speaker 4: It happen let's Get the House of representatives, moving forward actually, doing things and then then maybe we actually could get the media to start reporting and all the good things. They're doing one of THE complaints i had, LAST week i don't know if you, REMEMBER this i might have said it on, the air was why aren't we seeing any prosecutions of all this waste and fraud that's been. Going, ON well i did a little bit, deeper dive and, you know there is a lot of prosecution.
Speaker 5: Going on the media is just not telling us. About it.
Speaker 4: There was One, in hawaii the lieutenant governor actually just got convicted in four of.
Speaker 5: HER cronies i didn't hear about that in. The media did you hearing?
Speaker 3: About it this is breaking news that were breaking on financial. ISSUES marketing i thought.
Speaker 6: They did, cover it but they said Something like trump is weaponizing his investigation fraud to Go.
Speaker 3: After democrats that's probably how they, framed.
Speaker 4: It yeah Instead. Of gee it seems like a Lot of democrats are involved.
Speaker 2: In, fraud, yeah, yeah, Right, Absolutely mark what a. Great reminder It Was samwise gamgee who once Said To, frodo baggins there's some good in, this World, mister frodo and it's worth. Fighting for and you fired me, Up, Now mark so you're. ABSOLUTELY right i. LOVE it i hope we can fire up the rest of. Exactly right let's do, those, People. Yeap Mark david darlene asked me a good question from our Homes, stated, Pennsylvania, saying mark could you explain what a step up?
Speaker 3: Basis? Is? Please?
Speaker 5: Oh sure in.
Speaker 4: Most cases the way THE way i hear that term use is if you die and leave. A stock let's just say to your children that the step up, basis is no matter what you paid for, it originally your cost faces.
Speaker 5: On that it is now whatever the stock.
Speaker 4: Was worth the basis now on it steps up to whatever the stock was worth on the day. You died, so effectively let's say you paid one hundred dollars for, a stock and it's ten years later and you go home to be with, your father and it's now worth one thousand dollars. A, share well the step up bases of the thousand dollars on, that now so they don't have to pay all the capital gains on that when they from from one hundred dollars to one thousand dollars like you would have if you would have stuck around a little longer and.
Speaker 5: Sold it so good call on.
Speaker 3: All counts going home to your, father.
Speaker 2: Basically yeah i'm juking b going the lord is the one who brings us home.
Speaker 4: To that that is not the type of text planning we are actually trying to be.
Speaker 5: Right there you go promote if.
Speaker 2: He, comes home if he calls, us. Home excellent if he comes before, that event. Even better but let's plan for him not coming for a, long, Time Right marks, Well said james is Asking here mark. Sixty three, he's saying there's no caution about this BEING. An, mlp however for the preferred shares for, this company WHICH is, fp sixty there is a caution about it BEING. An mlp And then james, IS saying i don't think preferred shared dividend should HAVE any mlp. Tax, implications mark could you clear this Up for james here the difference between sixty THREE and.
Speaker 4: Fp, sixty, Hmm, yeah james that would be normal for a preferred stock issued by, a Corporation but energy transfers is a little. Bit different it's a preferred security and preferred units represented limited partnership's INTEREST, like etu so holders will RECEIVE a. K one i think the issue here, isn't that it's that the. Other part what what?
Speaker 5: WE new i think we we should have a master limited partnership CAUTION on.
Speaker 4: FP sixty i think that would, be appropriate, in fact that the et common unit should also carry the.
Speaker 5: Same, thing, so uh THE missing i guess, you know Reading your i'm trying to reread. Your question Make sure i'm.
Speaker 4: Answering this the mission missing caution on the common position appears to be, the inconsistenty not the question on the, preferred.
Speaker 3: Right right that? Makes sense that. Makes, sense yeah so we'll make sure to get that, Updated.
Speaker 2: There james because that's a that's a great thing that you you pointed out.
Speaker 4: To. US yeah i had to pull up because when you, read it went through my mind kind, of QUICKLY and i just so SORRY if i stumbled through that. For you but, that's uh that's the bottom line On, your james and you know. That happens and that's the kind of stuff that have to When when god gives you much to be a, steward over he expects much. From us so we have, to realize just like, foreign taxes you have, these two but as a, good steward it's not a.
Speaker 5: Big deal we keep moving forward doing what we're called.
Speaker 4: TO do i just want to thank everybody for being here today and thank you For honoring god by the way you invest with.
Speaker 5: Biblical integrity god. Bless everyone hope to see. You tomorrow
Speaker 1: If we ever forget that we're one Nation, under god then we will be