Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech Saturdays from eleven to two right here on KFI. It's Katla tech reporter Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 2: Morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you. Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we got the iPad and we've got something that they finally have on the iPad and something that they still don't have on the iPad.
Speaker 2: Well, it's only taken about fifteen years to get this application, but it is finally there. And that app is WhatsApp. That is the app. That's basically the entire story. People love WhatsApp all over the world. They use it to communicate. It is fully encrypted end to end, which people really like. It is owned by Meta, but it's on the iPad now, so you can have it on multiple devices. Your phone, your Mac, your iPad. Messages do stay in sync and the end to end encryption stays intact across all devices.
Speaker 1: Okay, so go get it. I have a question, and that is that WhatsApp has been available on the iPhone but not on the iPad. Is there a reason for that?
Speaker 2: You know? I think part of it was the encryption situation, because when WhatsApp was first available, the reason I didn't use it is because you can only use it on one device. At the time, it had to be linked to a phone number on a phone, and then they sort of expanded that over the years. I don't know what the reason for the iPad lag was, but it's there now. The only other app that Meta needs to make for the iPad is Instagram, which people are baffled why there's not an official Instagram app. You know, you can put the phone app on there, but there's no official sort of like big screen Instagram app for some reason. So maybe that will be next.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't even know that because I have an iPad. I rarely use it because I just use my phone so often. But that's just crazy that the IG isn't on the iPad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think there would be. But you know, I think at some point Instagram had like a reason for it, like, oh, we want to keep it, you know, more intimate with your phone versus like your iPad. But you know, it's like, come on, give us options.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I think that we've talked about this before about how you can turn your when you take notes and stuff, you can turn it into a podcast, And now that's available in more places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we talked about this a couple weeks ago. Notebook LM is the tool, So this sort of was an experiment at Google, just like a small thing. It went viral because of this audio overview feature, which basically allows you to toss any information you want into this notebook LM app and it will convert it into a podcast basically with two hosts kind of talking about the information. But you can put anything in there, so you can you can, you know, put PDFs in there, you can put a website, YouTube, video, anything you want to learn more about. And what's neat about this is that it's only using that information, so it's kind of like a little bit cleaner than it would be if you just use like straight up AI because it's trying to pull just from your info. But the other thing is amy you can also ask questions. You know, you can sit there and like type in questions about things that you want to ask about the information you put in there. So anyway, it's a really cool learning feature available through Google. And now they finally came out with an app on iPhone and Android. This only took them like two years, so that's not too yep. But the cool thing is you can listen to those audio overviews anywhere basically.
Speaker 1: Okay, So my question is if it's taking your information, it's not going out searching the web. It's taking your information and making the podcast. Is this for like your own edification or to share with like, is it to help you study or is it excited to share?
Speaker 2: No? I think it's I mean, you could share it. You could download the podcasts and share it out, but it's not meant to like make podcasts for you that you can like share with friends and family. Like, that's not really the idea. The idea is that you're going to a foreign country. You want to learn everything you could possibly learn about it, and so you drop that information into notebook LM. It generates a podcast. I'm doing a panel discussion today, so they gave me a whole briefing book. I dropped that into notebook LM. I listened to that in my car, and now I'm briefed on all the things that everyone wants to talk about, the panelists, the background whatever. But it's only that information. So it's really just you know, you want to learn a new law, you know, throw it in there, that take it down act, that they passed a couple weeks ago. You can throw that in there and you can learn about that. So it's just a different way to learn. A lot of college students use it, a lot of lifelong learners. It's just a really different and convenient way to learn thanks to AI.
Speaker 1: Okay, and let's talk phones, because you have been playing with the brand new S twenty five Edge for the last couple of weeks and you said you we talked to you about it, or we talked to you when you first got it and you said, I'm going to play with it for a while. Well now you have yes, So.
Speaker 2: It's been about three weeks. I've been using it on a daily basis. This is Samsung's thinnest phone yet it goes on sale on Friday. It's super thin, it's super light. I do love that aspect of it. I don't love the fact that there's no dedicated zoom lens. It has become not an issue, but it's definitely not ideal if you're coming from like a phone that has that. But if you don't really care the phone, the camera is excellent on this device, like really really impressive. I've used it in all kinds of different situations, and it's a great phone. The battery life was my other question. I would say that the battery life is fine. If you have a charger, you're going to be fine. I would say it's not going to have as good battery life towards the end of the day as some of the main other phones, but still overall, I really like this device.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Samsung Galaxy S twenty five Edge available in stores now right Friday, Available in stores Friday. And how much does it cost?
Speaker 2: It starts at eleven hundred dollars, but there are many many deals out there, so be on the lookout. If you pay full price for that thing, you're doing something wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of not paying full price, just real quick money saving websites, you have some tips so we can save some money, which I always I'm going to have my ears perked up for this one.
Speaker 2: This is great. If you visit my website one time this year, go today rich on tech dot tv. I've got five different sites on there. Number one Shop Back, this brand new cash back shopping assistant that just launched in the US. You get a dollar back on every Amazon order, plus cash back on other sites. Simply codes if you're looking for working codes, these promo codes actually work. It's the only promo code site I use. There's a website called the Big List of Streaming Deals. If you want free Peacock or a free trial on Paramount plus Apple TV plus Stars, it is all there. It's updated on daily basis. Plus I've got some more all at rich on tech dot tv. Amy It's a roundup of some really great sites today.
Speaker 1: Definitely going to check that out, the simply codes, especially because I've at those sites where they go here, try this code, try this code, and they all go nope, nope, nope, nope, never work, never works.
Speaker 2: Yep. This is the one I use, and it works. If there is a code out there, this site nine out of ten times has it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Thanks, that's so great to know. This is the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's our very own Rich DeMuro. Also, you can see him weekdays on KTLA. You can hear him live every Saturday from eleven am to two pm on KFI. You can follow him on Instagram, Rich on Tech, and of course the website with those great ways to save money. Rich on Tech dot tv. Thanks so much, Rich, we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 2: Have a great one, all right.
Speaker 1: You two. I'm excited about that one. I gotta go do a little perusing, save some money, especially the Amazons. They have a buck on every Amazon order. I could save thousands of dollars a year. Thousands the point, all right,