Speaker 1: And Hi, how are you happy Friday? To you? On this the seventh day of November, Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. And well, we've got some maybe a little breakthrough on the shutdown of the government day what is this day? Thirty thirty eight, who's counting? We've got that, We've got an update on. Yeah, the airlines are are cutting back on their flying and it's going to get even worse if there if the shutdown continues. Some updates about the and updates about that ups jet that crashed in Louisville. So a lot to go over. Let's start with the breaking news on this. It's Friday afternoon while we're recording this, and Chuck Schumer just came to the floor of the US Senate and had So this isn't something where they're talking behind them, but they've been talking behind the scenes. And I told you yesterday that the way I see this coming to some sort of end is that they're going to try to keep the healthcare subsidies going for a year or two or maybe three, which is typical in Washington, is to kick the can down the road. And I don't mean to reach around and pat myself on the back. But that's exactly what Chuck Schumer announced this afternoon, was why don't we reopen the government and then but kick the can down the road one year for the subsidies for the Affordable Care Act would continue for at least a year while they put together a bipartisan committee to negotiate how to fix healthcare. Now, this fixing healthcare has been an issue before Obamacare passed and certainly since it's passed, and they don't I mean it's the government program was originally designed to make it so that we would all cave and sign up for a government run healthcare program. That was the goal. It hasn't happened. It's been ten years and we're still some of us on private insurance, some of us on government insurance. So let's listen to what Chuck Schumer has to say and then we'll chat about it.
Speaker 2: Democrats have said we must address the health care crisis, but Republicans have repeatedly said they won't negotiate to lower the healthcare costs until the government reopens. So let's find a path to honor both positions. Democrats would like to see an end to this shutdown. And we want to respect Leader Thun's desire not to negotiate on ACA until after the government reopens. Therefore, we'd like to offer a simple proposal that would reopen the government and extend the ACA premium tax credits simultaneously, and then have the opportunity to start negotiating longer term solutions to health care costs.
Speaker 1: Let's do all three.
Speaker 2: I've spoken with my caucus, and Democrats are offering a very simple compromise. Democrats are ready to clear the way to quickly pass a government funding bill that includes health care affordability. Leader Thun just needs to add a clean one year extension of the ACA tax credits to the CR so that we can immediately address rising healthcare costs. That's not a negotiation. It's an extension of current law, something we do all the time around here, as we all know. But we also offer this Let's create a bipartisan committee that will continue negotiations after the government reopens on reforms ahead of next year's enrollment period to provide long term certainty that healthcare costs will be more affordable. This proposal reopens the government and insures working families who are shopping right now for their healthcare, get certainty and financial relief. While open enrollment has begun, insurers can update their rates after we pass a simple extension of the tax credits. With this approach, we do not negotiate health care in the shutdown, as leaderthun has maintained he wishes, and the American people get the tax credit extension they want. That is what many of our Republican colleagues have floated over the last six weeks as a compromise, a one year tax credit extension and reforms to the credit. Beyond that. We will agree with the Republican Republican request not to start negotiations until after the government reopens. All Republicans have to do is say yes to extend current law for one year. It makes sense, and since what we're proposing is only a simple extension of current law, the Senate could do this within a few hours. This is a reasonable offer that reopens the government, deals with health care affordability, and begins a process of negotiating reforms to the ACA tax credits for the future. Now the ball is in the Republicans court. We need Republicans to just say yes. I yield to Senator Peters.
Speaker 1: So there you go. And by the way, I've got other Senators that earlier this afternoon that we're making it very clear this is a political game. It's such a political game. But what they don't care about, but I do as a taxpayer and as a health insurance byer, we all are, is that by the subsidies increase the cost of health insurance. And they know, They've got to know that. Some of them are, though I think maybe they're just not bright enough to figure that whole thing out. One guy that I've always been impressed with, a Democrat. He was a former head of DAH Jay Johnson in the Obama administration. He's a big Democrat. But listened to what he had to say earlier today, it's real pain for the American public. It's real pain for the federal workforce.
Speaker 3: Johnath and I ran a cabinet department of two hundred and thirty thousand people, and I feel an obligation to speak for them. They have no voice in this process. They are political footballs, essentially, and they're either furloughed, sent home without pay, or they're forced to work without pay. Dedicated to this country's aviation security, border security, cybersecurity, Maritimes security, and I will I will break ranks with my party to say this has got to stop. This is the longest government shut down in history, thirty eight days, and we need to get out of the business of leveraging one issue on the back of another. Otherwise going to become the new norm. When the Republicans are back in the minority, and they will be, they will say, well, you need sixty votes to reopen the government. Well, we want you to also address issue A, B, and C, and our democracy will spiral downward. And so at the very least, the Republican majority of A to allow us straight up and down vote on healthcare, but deal with these issues separately so that they rise or fall on their own merits. Don't leverage one issue on the back of the other. Otherwise we're going to end up with the dysfunctional government, which is what we have now. The obligation of Congress, first obligation of Congress is to keep the lights on from the government, and we are not doing that. This has got to stop.
Speaker 1: So he's a powerful guy and influential guy, well respected on both sides of the aisle, and I can't help but wonder he's basically breaking with the Democrats. He is a Democrat. Maybe help the Democrats come to some sort of offer that Schumer laid on the floor of the Senate late this afternoon. Chris Murphy is a senator from Connecticut. He's been making noise about wanting to run for president. And the more he acts like a hack, the more I think this guy doesn't have a prayer. He was with interviewed by punch Bowl News Service earlier today, and listen to him. He is totally a hack. This is all about. He doesn't care about if you're not going to be able to get to your Thanksgiving dinner with your family. He doesn't care about the problems with the people who aren't getting paychecks that are federal employees. All he wants is this is about getting a win for the Democrats.
Speaker 4: I think there will be some pretty substantial damage done to a Democratic brand that has been rehabilitated. If on the heels of an election in which the people told us to keep fighting, we immediately stop fighting, if we surrender without having gotten anything, and we cause a lot of folks in this country who had started to believe in the Democratic Party to retreat. And again, I worry that it will be hard to sort of get them back up off the mat in time for next fall's election cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knows that the Democrats had a big win on Tuesday, but that wasn't a message for them to continue to keep fighting and keep the government shut down. That they were voting for some candidates that were put before them. But Chris Murphy's worry about the Democrat brand, it might be damaged. And just when they got all excited about their win and then they cave on giving in to the Republicans, those evil Republicans. He's such a hack, such a hack. John Thune, the Senate Republican leader, this is his reaction.
Speaker 5: Now the Democrats just have to take yes for an answer. We've given them everything essentially that they were asking for, the reasonable Democrats, not the crazy ones like what you just heard. But they literally yesterday at their Democratic Caucus meeting in the Senate had a pep rally. I mean, they are celebrating this. It's insane. And what's happening is the far left, which is the tail wagging the dog, is bullying the reasonable Democrats out of coming to the table. We have a proposal that they have been reviewing and looking at now for several days, mostly with things that they asked for, including a normal appropriations process, we open up the government, they get a vote on their Obamacare fix, they want to sit down meet with the President on a path forward. He's more than willing to do that. All those things are in play, but they can't take yes for an answer for fear. I mean, these people are scared, spitless of their base, and that's what's happening. Yes Day was a bullying session. The far left and the Democrat Caucus bullied the reasonable ones out of coming to the table and settling this. I'm still hoping that these people are going to come to the table and we'll find out's in enough.
Speaker 1: So there's no doubt. I'm sure that you've heard that a lot of people accuse the Republicans in Congress of being afraid of President Trump. They don't want to make him mad. They otherwise they're going to get primary they'll lose their fat, cushy job. Well, this is you can believe that or not, it doesn't matter. This is going on on the Democrat side. They're afraid of the far left. AOC is going to go to primaryim they'll lose their fat, cushy jobs. So everybody's afraid of something. We don't have true representation. These are supposed to be the four hundred and thirty five members of the House one hundred members of the Senate are supposed to represent our voices, and they're just playing political games. And Jay Johnson's right. I mean, if they keep holding up the government because of one issue that they have a problem with, no sit down at the table, negotiated like Congress has done forever since the start of the country. So this is very, very frustrated. It's also damaging the economy. Kevin has, the head of the Director of the Director of the National Economic Council, laid it out this way.
Speaker 6: The impact on the economy is far worse than we expected because it's gone on for so long, and so they are now like gold minestments that it's over a percent or percent a half of GDP. I will say travel, travel at leisure is a place that's really being heavily hit right now. And if it continues to get hit, if the air travel thing goes south for another week or two, then you could say that they would have at least a near term, yeah.
Speaker 1: A new term disaster. By the way, Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy was also out speaking again today and said that they've already cut four percent of the flights and that that will get ramped up to ten percent by this by next Friday. And then he said, and if it continues past that, it could be twenty percent of the flights will be canceled. That's heading right into the Thanksgiving travel season. There, Well, let's go through some of this. Here's some of the travelers that were stopped by the media at the airport today.
Speaker 7: This is very tacky, but I hope some of those senators and Congressmans get stuck because they can't get somewhere, so they'll get there and figure this out and get it going again.
Speaker 8: He said, shut down, so you'd never know. So we are coming from Singapore. Imagine we have trap hearing the America from US. The first flight gets canceled, probably have to rent a car and.
Speaker 1: Drive, thought about driving the Arizonable. We change your mindn't all. We're gonna chance it.
Speaker 2: We're going to likely experience a big rush of folks coming in over the weekend, and you know, and then just general panic.
Speaker 9: I mean, people don't know what to expect.
Speaker 1: People who are working are obviously overworked and getting tired, and so that's nerve wracking a little bit. Yeah, it is nerve wracking. And this is all because of some political hacks that are playing political games. They don't care about you. I know, if you remember, I've always told you if you want to be an elected official, remember you always end every sentence with for the American people, which is totally bogus. It's for them and their power. Kevin Bailey, former FAA safety guy. It talks about that angle.
Speaker 10: This is going to be at the most a really big headache. I think the administration is being proactive, and you know, safety is not going to be the issue here. It's not an issue of safety. They're being very proactive. It's pretty much to be a big headache. I think four travelers, especially as we get into the really big travel rush towards the end of November. What I think they're gonna do is pretty much target the smaller airplane. So in other words, they're not cutting ten percent of the passengers, they're cutting ten percent of the operations. So they're going to probably target the smaller regional jets that maybe hohold twenty or thirty passengers, not a big seven sixty seven or seven seventy seven that's making connections. So I think if you're on a big airplane, you're pretty safe. But if you're like on a flight where they say you're going to Florida, they have ten flights per day, maybe they'll cut one or two, but it's going to be a headache, I think at the most.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's a little bit heartening that it's not a safety issue, it's simply and he's the former FAA safety head. Yeah, this is where I again, I gotta pap myself on the back. I told you yesterday. They'll probably be cutting the smaller planes because a plane, any plane, doesn't matter, if it's a single engine cessing a propeller plane, it takes up one space or an airplane in the sky, and they can't have two airplanes in the same space. So if they can reduce the number of smaller planes that have maybe he said ten twenty passengers, it could some of them hold fifty to sixty seventy passengers, called regional jets. They will probably be cutting those first. And the way you can tell if you're booking a flight. If you're going into a small or medium sized airport, there's a better chance that you might be on a regional jet. If you're going into a major airport from a major city, you're probably on a legacy airline. For example, American Airlines, Delta, United, they all have companies that fly the regional flights they have. They have the American and Delta tail on them. But there if you look on your ticket or your reservation, it will say American Airlines flight one, two, three, four operated by and they'll have a Pinnacle Airlines, or there's another three or four regional carriers, but they they go under the flag of the major carrier. But that's where if you have a flight that is quote operated by and then fill in the blank, you're probably those are the ones that are probably going to get cut first. I love this guy. This guy is an air traffic controller from Denver, and he thinks I think he's dead on right, that this is all bogus.
Speaker 7: Whether I'm talking to you know, fifty planes in an hour, or I'm talking to you know, forty five planes in an hour, it's it's not much of a difference seeing it by ten percent.
Speaker 9: Is it's a joke.
Speaker 11: Like I said, it's just something that's being used by the administration to make the flying public feel the pain. Controllers are just being used as a pawn in this whole game of the shutdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so flying passagers are being used. It's all part of a game. And he's right. I mean, whether he's talking to forty five or fifty planes in an hour doesn't really make any difference to him. It doesn't change his workload. But the problem is you still need them to show up at work, and they are well, they're second. I believe a second paycheck was due today, so they've now missed two full paychecks, which I don't want to go down that ramp again. But I learned very early on in life that you should and it's hard when you're young and you don't make a lot of money, but you should have three to six months worth of living expenses tucked away somewhere that you can get your hands on it. Not on some five year CD, No, it should be something that you can reach out and use. And when I say three to six months worth of living expenses, I'm not talking about three to six months of what your your paycheck is but close what I'm then it takes time to build that up and put that in some place where you can get your hands on it, some interest bearing account, and that's your slush fund. That that's your emergency fund. And the way I always did it was you go through and you take a look at your expenses for the month, and you go, well, let's see there was the rent or the mortgage. A lot of people have a car payment. You can't. You can't have the roof over your head taken away. You can't have your car taken away by the repoman. But again, the bills that you pay through your groceries, those are the things that you should have that amount tucked aside. Three to six months worth, as far as going out to dinner, going to movies, having entertainment, having a good time, that's nice, But for an emergency fund, you don't need to count all that because if you're in an emergency, you're not going to be living the high life. So again, three to six months of the real minimum that you must have in order to meet your monthly obligations. But David Riley from Air Traffic Controller in Denver's right doesn't make this whole thing about cutting back ten percent doesn't make a change in his life. Speaking of airplanes, and TSB came out today and gave us a little bit more information about the crash of the ups MD eleven in Louisville the other day.
Speaker 9: Are we found multiple pieces of engine fan blades along with the main component of the engine of the number one engine, which is on the left side of the aircraft. We have transferred all of those to a secured location for further examination, and we'll be using that to further analyze any mechanical aspects. I brief the families of those who were on the ground. There were approximately fifty sixty people, and it's a tough situation. It's hard. Their main issue is where's my loved one, because right now no one's been identified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the statistics on this are simply this. There were three crew members on this cargo jet. They're perished, but you've got a total of thirteen people that have died, so the rest of them are people that were in the industrial area off the end of the airport. There's still nine missing, so we've got a potential of twenty one people that perished in this jet. Crash. Again, it's not like a passenger jet. You've only got three members of there. But it went off the end of the runway and into this bunch of warehouses essentially, And there's employees that worked in those warehouses who were killed instantly as the jet came crashing in on them. So Thanksgiving isn't that far away. We're worried about the travel angle to it, but also the whole thing. Ever since Tuesday in the election and the Democrats swept the board, the Republicans are trying to lick their wounds that they're trying to figure out what happened, and a lot of people are saying that Joe Biden did not get a second term because the economy stupid, it's always the economy, and because of the fact that inflation was up over nine percent at one point during his four year term. They it came back down again, but at the same time it prices went up and inflation slowed down, but prices did not necessarily come down. And that's why a lot of people today are still looking at the bill that they get from the grocery when you check out with the cashier at the grocery store and going holy smokes, this is expensive. It's truly because and this is where everybody gets the description of inflation. It wasn't nine percent now it's at three percent, So therefore inflation is way down. No, it's not. It just is going up slower prices overall. Now there are some prices that went down, there are some prices that went way up, but the overall macro of inflation, the basket of inflation, prices never came down. We never had a minus sign. So that's that's why people are going, Man, it's expensive about there. And that was the number one reason it always is. People vote their pocketbook. And that's why Joe Biden got tossed out. And let's bring in Donald Trump because Donald Trump said that he would get prices down, and prices are not down, and I don't know how he can get them down. It's the same thing with the two ladies that won the governor's races in New Jersey and Virginia. They were also promising, where I vote for me, I'm going to get prices. I don't know how any governor, any president, any politician is going to be able to get prices down, other than in the case of the president. One thing he was excellent at in the first term was a deregulation. He's cut the cost of doing business, which therefore allowed businesses to lower their prices and or hire more people and expand their companies, which they did. And I know he's been busy with foreign affairs and solving wars and doing all of the things he does around the world. Got investments to come into the United States. That's all nice. And that's where Joe Biden got caught. Remember the Biden administration kept talking about the economic indicators. The economy is doing fine. Biden nomics was great. Don't you people see how wonderful the economy is. What's the matter with you? Well, I'm kind of hearing that same tone coming out of the White House right now. Well, the economic indicators say, I mean, inflation is no longer going up nine percent, It's only going up three percent. So therefore inflation is down. Inflation is down, but prices are not down. And I'm afraid they're going to get caught in the same trap. And one of the ways that really caught my attention was the President was asked about Thanksgiving meals and that Walmart has some basket of things that they sell as a as a Thanksgiving meal, and the President was all thrilled about that. Here's President Trump.
Speaker 12: So Walmart to me, you know, it's triple A came out that nobody going to influence them. I don't know them, but they just came out with a very powerful satement. They've done it for many years that under the Biden administration, Thanksgiving meal, a Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings costs twenty five percent more. In other words, our Thanksgiving this year coming up will cost twenty five percent less than slippy Joe Biden's. Now, to me, that's better than anything there is. I was angry less that with the Republicans. They say, you don't talk about this. Nobody talks about it. You know, I rely on the question from a reporter to get that out. We should be talking about it because they talk about affordable so that he didn't have affordability. What the Democrats do is they lie. We are the ones that have done great for an affordability. They're done horribly on affordability. The only thing is they go out and they took they take commercials out. Under the Democrats, you have affordability.
Speaker 9: It's just the opposite.
Speaker 12: We have much lower prices than they do, and we only have one thing, beef. Because the cattle ranches are doing well, we're going to bring the beef prices down, and they understand that, even if we have to help them out. But the beef also is not a big difference. But every price is down. The beggest price is energy. We're at almost two dollars for gasoline.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack some of that. First of all, we're at two dollars gasoline. No gas prices across the country are the national average, according to Triple A, three dollars and eight cents for the cheap stuff. That's today three oh eight. A year ago it was three, So it's come down two cents on average. Now I look at the national map of gas prices. Out west, where it's always been super expensive, it's still California four dollars sixty nine cents, Nevada three dollars ninety eight cents, State of Washington four dollars twenty four cents. It's all over four dollars mostly on the West coast. You go down to the south Texas is there's a two dollars gas to sixty three, Louisiana to sixty two, Mississippi to sixty So it's in the twos down there in oil country, where you would expect it to be. But the average across the country is three toh eight compared to three dollars and ten cents a year ago. So prices technically are down, but not a lot. And when you take a look at the Consumer Price Index, the last time we got it was back in September. The September numbers came out early October, food prices were up three point one percent over the past year. So they're not down, they're up, and they're going up at a rate of three point one percent. Now, when you take a look at Thanksgiving on the bird is up six tenths of a percent, Canned fruit and vegetables up five percent, fresh biscuits, rolls and muffins up four percent, potatoes up three point seven, eggs the own well and butter. Eggs down one point three, butter down one point eight. Those are the only two that are down. Bread is up one point eight percent. So when you cut all of this, well, Thanksgiving dinner is going to be more expensive. Now, Walmart is not an economic indicator they're they're a marketing retailer, and they come up with specials to try to get you to come in to get your Thanksgiving dinner, and while you're there, you'll buy a bunch of other stuff. But taking a look at the Walmart promotion that they came up with, which the President was referring to, the reason it's twenty five percent cheaper is because they have fewer items. Last year, they had twenty one items in their Walmart Thanksgiving dinner promotion, twenty one items. This year they got fifteen. And that's the way they make it so that the price is lower because there's less food in their item. But using Walmart as an economic indicator is no. It's a retailer and they're hustling promotions to get you to come in their door. So good for Walmart, but a real economic indicator that is not a government produced number. I've told you before about the Consumer Attitude checksters two big surveys every month. One of them is by the University of Michigan. The other one is the Conference Board. And today the University of Michigan came out with their consumer sentiment and it fell to levels that are historic lows. We had a level that was very similar in June of twenty twenty two. That's one inflation was through the roof and we're back down to those levels, back down, so the mood of consumers dropped further. In November, according to the University of Michigan, the headline index felled of fifty, down from fifty four the previous month. That again is about where it was during COVID slash nine percent inflation. So people are in and it's been The economists describe it as a K economy K the letter K, so you've got one arm of the K going up and you've got the other arm of the K going down. That's the problem is we have people both with improving in this economy and people that are not. As far as retail sales go, I think this is a shocking number, but it's been a number of outfits are reporting the same thing and they have for a couple of months. Is that the top ten percent income in this country is responsible for fifty percent of retail sales. So retail sales are being held up by and doing well by the top ten percent who are doing well, but everybody else makes up the rest of it. So I think the President and the White House, it's easy to not have your ear on the ground. They're kind of locked up in the White House and you don't really get a sense of what's going on with the public. And the president's not out there doing rallies like he used to do during campaign season. But I really think they need to pay attention. They got one year to get the economy in a shape where people feel better about it. There's a lot of people that don't, and the economy is number one reason why people vote the way they vote. All right, let's see what Wall Street. Speaking of money, see what Wall Street did today. The Dow Jones industrials took a bit of a roller coaster ride. We were down midday about three hundred points, and it worked its way back to a gain of at the close, up seventy four. The Dow at forty six nine eighty seven, the S and P up eight, NASDAK down forty nine. This is caps the worst week for the Nasdaq since back in Liberation Day back in April. Price of gold up nineteen dollars to four thy ten, price of oil up half a buck to fifty just under sixty dollars now fifty nine to ninety for a barrel of oil. That's it for today, have a wonderful weekend. We'll be back on Monday. I hope to see you then